Actions

Work Header

redamancy

Summary:

(n.) the act of loving in return
--
Loki is defeated, New York and the planet as a whole saved. In the wake of the battle, the Avengers all take some moments for themselves and decide that they're willing to try this team thing out on a more permanent basis. Bonding isn't without its challenges, but they're all stubborn and willing enough to make it work, and none too soon to address more of those threats Nick Fury had in mind with them...
--
or, the Avengers actually becoming friends and Clint and Natasha realizing they're in love with each other

Notes:

This is 100% self-indulgent and has grown a lot from when I first started on it, and definitely fits in going back to the ~2012 era in several ways. As much as this is MCU based there's a lot of inspiration taken from other Marvel properties as well for sure, and plenty of pure headcanon! It is definitely a Clint and Natasha story first, an Avengers story second though.

Also, I promise that the characters/relationships tagged already will play a bigger role as this goes on and aren't just tagged for brief inclusions, and that there are still several more characters coming! :)

Chapter Text

There was an unspoken agreement for Clint and Natasha to slip away from the group with their drinks while the others took Loki and his scepter away.

Natasha had put in her word for taking him to the New York SHIELD base and figured the other so-called Avengers could muscle their way through any issues that might crop up on the way when handling an alien threat who had just caused a major incident.

And letting Fury work out the containment details with Thor sounded like a great idea. She had her own shit to deal with after the nonstop events of the previous days, after all.

Clint had wordlessly gone for the balcony when the others left, a half glass of Stark’s whiskey and the bottle in hand. Momentarily frowning, Natasha followed with her own glass and settled beside him to lean against an intact section of the balcony railing.

He idly swirled his glass before drinking it, keeping his gaze focused on the damaged cityscape before them.

Plumes of smoke rose from piles of rubble, occasional fires burning within. A couple large carcasses of the alien behemoths were visible where they had crashed into buildings after the portal had been closed, trails of destruction left from the impacts. The wails of sirens carried up from all over the area as emergency vehicles worked on starting to manage the aftereffects of the attack.

Natasha downed her own whiskey in a gulp and gave him several moments to stare before saying anything, her voice quiet. “Don’t do that.”

“Don’t do what?” Clint broodily asked, still not looking at her.

Which was frustrating enough, that he couldn’t at least comfortably do that.

She pursed her lips. “You’re not the one that brought and commanded the alien army. What happened here isn’t on you. It’s all on Loki.” She made sure to sympathetically soften her voice. “Stop blaming yourself.”

Clint morosely chuckled. “Doesn’t change the fact that half that half of New York is on fire because of aliens that I helped bring here, inadvertently or not.”

“Don’t overlook that you helped to stop the same aliens.”

He finally looked at her, all the lines in his face tight and the drawn circles under his eyes startlingly apparent. “No one’s forgetting this any time soon. I mean, shit,” he sighed while throwing his hands out, sending the rest of the whiskey momentarily sloshing around. “I’ll be lucky if Coulson doesn’t have me doing weekly psych evals for the next five years at minimum from this.” When Natasha’s expression stayed slightly too impassive he frowned at her. “Nat, whatever it is-.”

It took more effort than she would have liked to keep herself from swallowing. “I’ll tell you after you’ve slept.”

“Nat.” Clint couldn’t help the slightly desperate rising note to his voice, concern evident in the set of his brow while he searched her expression for some clue to the situation. “You’re scaring me.”

She gently took the bottle from his hand, hovering her fingers over his for an extra moment than was probably necessary while she looked him straight in the eyes. “You’re exhausted and I doubt Loki let you have any sleep while he had you. Take one of Stark’s many available bedrooms and get at least a few hours in before we start to deal with the aftereffects, Barton.”

His eyes darkened a shade. “I’ve been managing well enough-.”

“Don’t make me take you there myself, I will take you down again if I have to,” Natasha said with a note of warning before she softened her expression. “I’ll be right there and won’t let you sleep through anything important, but Clint, please. You need it.”

He stared at her for a second, his jaw tightly clenched before he gave another sigh and relaxed his shoulders. “Fine,” he absentmindedly flapped a hand at her, “I’ll sleep for a couple hours. And then I’m hearing what you’re not telling me.”

She nodded. “I promise.”

They only had to go down a few floors to find a guest room, and Clint quickly settled down, setting his bow and quiver aside in easy reach before stripping off his top tactical layers and almost immediately falling asleep as soon as he put his head to the pillow.

His sheer exhaustion in the moment aside, Natasha had always been impressed by his ability to instantaneously fall asleep practically anywhere on demand. She always needed at least a few minutes, and he managed to get surprisingly deep sleep despite being on alert enough that a single wrong sound could wake him up.

Natasha set her weapons aside and curled up in the chair she dragged over from the guest room’s living area to watch Clint as he slept.

His breathing was steady, his expression surprisingly peaceful under the circumstances.

Something unclenched in Natasha’s gut with relief at the sight. It was only a start, but it was something to have her partner back to himself.

Her belt buzzed, and she held back a sigh as she retrieved her phone from inside a pocket.

A text from Maria.

She carefully glanced back to the bed, gauging for any shift in position or other movement.

If Clint had woken up at the sound he wasn’t showing her. She suspected that it was more that he was exhausted enough to completely crash.

Figuring that he was doing well enough, Natasha opened the text. Thought you might want to know that Stark and all have Loki safely on the way to the NY base with a whole group of accompanying agents. Another text buzzed in. Should we be concerned that you’re not coming in with them? How’s Barton?

We’re as good as we can be, Natasha texted back. I’m making him sleep.

Maria’s response was a few more moments in coming. Is that good or bad?

Natasha hesitated for a second before typing. He doesn’t like it but he needs it, especially before I catch him up on the last several days.

They both were silent for a moment, Maria going up and down with the typing signal before she responded. Let me know if you need anything, I’ll see what I can do.

It was going to take a long time to adjust to not having Coulson around.

Natasha put the phone away and leaned her head against the back of the chair, briefly closing her eyes as she exhaled before looking back at Clint. They both still smelled all too strongly like dirt and soot with a side of blood, something acrid in the mix that she guessed was from the aliens.

At least only a fraction of the blood was theirs.

With the time for it and not much of anything else to do while she waited for him, she double checked to catalogue any injuries she had obtained during the course of the fight. The small cut on her forehead, a split bottom lip, a few of what were definitely going to become ugly bruises on her hip and thigh, the consistent twinge of her ankle that she’d need to visit medical just to check…

Clint looked to be relatively unscathed from the fight, thankfully, beyond a few small cuts and bruises. She guessed there were a few other bruises down his chest and legs, but at least there weren’t any slashes through his undershirt or pants. The most substantial injuries seemed to be from where she had bitten his wrist and the faint mark of the cognitive recalibration hit.

All together not too bad, especially for coming out on the other side of a genuine battle with aliens.

After a second she pulled her phone back out and started writing sections of her inevitable report. Two hours in Maria texted an update that Loki had been secured at the base under fulltime watch. It was another hour before Stark’s AI spoke in the room.

“Agent Romanoff, Agent Barton? Mr. Stark has asked that you hurry to the SHIELD base so that all the Avengers team can discuss what happens to Loki next with Director Fury. Deputy Director Hill has already arranged for transportation, which should be arriving shortly.”

Clint had shot up with a sharp inhale at the start of the message, instinctively reaching for his bow before realizing there was no active threat. “Who’s that?” he carefully asked, eyeing the ceiling with suspicion before glancing to Natasha.

“I am JARVIS, Agent Barton, Mr. Stark’s AI.”

He slowly nodded, shooting the ceiling a slightly incredulous look. “Right. The AI.”

Natasha stood, grabbing her belt and locking it back into place before nodding at Clint. “Anything you want to get out of the way before we go?”

“When do I get to hear the important thing you wanted me to wait for?” he drily asked while pulling his tactical layers back on and gearing up with practiced ease, not looking away from her beyond double checking that he was strapping everything through the right spot.

“On the way to the landing pad?”

Concern fell back over his expression. “How bad is it?”

She was starting for the door and waited for him to follow before replying. “How much do you remember from the Helicarrier?”

“I took out a rotor, infiltrated with the others, and was working on taking systems down and getting to Loki when you found me.” He paused for a deep breath, continuing in stride with her. “We fought, and you got through before hitting me really hard on the head, then I woke up in medical, we talked for a bit, then left with Captain America himself to get to the fight here.”

“And what have you heard already about what happened while you were unconscious?”

Clint hit the up button for the elevator and angled towards Natasha. “Loki escaped to get here and we were left with a mess on the Helicarrier and Manhattan. What else?”

“Coulson confronted Loki while he was threatening Thor.” Her voice was soft. “Loki killed him while he made his escape.”

Clint blinked at her, his eyes slowly widening before he briefly closed them, shakily inhaling. “Coulson’s dead?” His voice barely came out above a whisper.

She swallowed and wordlessly nodded, glancing down for a second. “Clint-.”

He pulled her against him into a tight hug with a single breath, burying his head against her shoulder and ignoring the small surprised sound she made. “Goddamn it,” he exhaled, “he had to play the hero. Goddamn it, Coulson.”

She closed her eyes and tightly hugged him back, only pulling away when the elevator dinged. “We’re supposed to hear about the funeral as soon as possible,” she somberly said while they stepped inside and she pressed the button for the roof.

Clint leaned against the nearest wall of the elevator with one shoulder, crossing his arms. “Do you know how it happened?”

“Not in detail.”

He was quiet for several floors, his voice quiet when he did talk again. “Did Fury or Hill tell you anything about what they’re thinking for me going forward?”

“Nothing negative.”

“Nat.”

She arched an eyebrow at him. “I’m not hiding anything. I’ve barely had time to get any updates from Maria, let alone discuss what Fury’s plan is for us. We’ve all been busy.”

A dark chuckle escaped Clint. “Sorry Nat, you might become a one-woman STRIKE team because of this.”

“It’s not STRIKE Team Delta without you,” she said, her eyes intense. “I’m not replacing you anytime soon, Clint, and you’re a damn good agent. No one’s forgetting that. Don’t be the one that does.”

They reached the roof and stepped out of the elevator, both instinctively scanning the surrounding skyline for any approaching aircraft.

“Looks like a Quinjet at three o’clock,” Clint commented after a moment before groaning. “Man, air clearances have got to be hell right now.”

She gave an affirmative hum before crossing her arms. “We’re only delaying this conversation until a good opportunity to actually discuss it.”

He nodded. “We’ll talk. I promise.” He shifted his weight between both feet. “Especially once we get Loki taken care of and I hear whether or not I’m being fired.”

“If Fury fires you,” Natasha lightly said, “I’m quitting in solidarity. We can look for a new job together.”

Clint managed a little laugh, sounding that much more entirely like himself. “Thanks for being a ride or die partner.”

They waited in comfortable quiet for the Quinjet to finish its approach to the Tower and quickly boarded, the pilots bringing them airborne before the bay door was halfway closed.

Natasha watched it shut, always more comfortable with visually ensuring that it acted as it was supposed to before looking away. “Do you want to talk about what your vote is going to be as far as Loki goes?”

“I know I’ll probably sleep a lot better going forward if I could stick an arrow through his eye socket, but I’m planning on being a little more tactful than that.” He casually shrugged with both shoulders. “Depends on what Thor says though for that, I suppose.”

“I don’t know that an arrow through the eye would kill him.”

“But it’d still hurt, and he’s certainly vain enough to feel it if it wouldn’t kill him,” Clint wryly remarked.

“And if you can’t enact any physical revenge?” Natasha asked with an even expression, not at all bothering to hide the fact of how intensely she was watching him.

Clint directly met her eyes. “I dunno. Guess I’ll just manage dreaming about it before letting go and moving on. Probably with a lot of psych evals on the way.”

Chapter 2

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tony dramatically sighed from where he was reclining in one of the conference room chairs. “I’m calling it now that Fury is purposefully making us wait.” He swept one hand through the air. “Getting us antsy and ready to go for whatever idea he's got in mind.”

Before anyone could respond the door swung open, Fury striding through and scanning over the gathered Avengers without so much as a blink.

Clint instinctually straightened a touch while Fury took his seat at the head of the table, the movement eliciting a brief upturned smile from Natasha. Some things were unchanged.

“We should not dwell here in conversation for too long,” Thor began. “I have dampened his magic for the time being but Loki is still cunning, we should not give him the time to plan an escape.”

“You don’t believe we can hold him,” Fury stated, evenly looking at Thor.

Bruce cleared his throat from where he sat to the side, leaning forward as he spoke. “He did get out of a cell designed to hold the Other Guy that was one of SHIELD’S best. If he can get out of that, I don’t see how anything else can do much better.”

“Not to mention that he caused plenty of problems from inside the cell,” Natasha tightly said.

“Except he also had his, ah, magic, then.” Steve frowned and looked to Thor. “Are you saying that he could independently work his way out of those cuffs or somehow break the dampening effect?”

Everyone followed suit in looking at Thor.

He slightly shrugged. “I would not put it past Loki’s capabilities, in time. And I do not think it is worth the risk to keep him here on Midgard accordingly.” Thor slightly held his chin up. “Asgard is the best suited to handle him.”

Fury clasped his hands together on the table. “And that saves Loki from having to deal with any of our justice.”

Thor raised a brow. “What justice would that be, exactly?”

Clint let a dark note fall over his expression. “I’d definitely appreciate that he not get carted off to Asgard just to get a slap on the wrist. He’s still responsible for a lot of brainwashing and murder, let alone invading with an alien army.”

Sympathy flooded Thor’s eyes. “Agent Barton, I do understand your frustration-.”

Tony cut him off, gesturing between Clint and Thor. “No, he brings up a good point. Would he just get a slap on the wrist and then back to the princely life? Maybe a little house arrest tacked on to sound more serious?”

Thor immediately narrowed his eyes. “Have a care how you speak, despite Loki’s royal status his actions here would in no way be ignored in sentencing him.” His voice was tight with warning.

“And is there any accountability for treating him accordingly?” Fury asked.

“I swear to return at the soonest opportunity to provide an update on Loki’s sentencing. It will take some time to repair the Bifrost suitably for travel, but it will be one of Asgard’s highest priorities.”

“I’m not going to pretend that I love the idea of bringing him out of any tangible sense of justice just to make sure he doesn’t use his magic for something we’re unclear on.” Clint had apparently picked up a pen from somewhere in the room and idly twirled it between his fingers with one hand as he spoke. “You’re absolutely set that we couldn’t just keep a close eye on him and look out for his master plan on getting his magic back, or whatever he would end up concocting?”

Fury slightly cleared his throat. “Are you volunteering for Loki watch, Barton?”

“Being in my head wasn’t strictly a one-way street, I would at least be coming with some knowledge of how he works. Not that I’d love the duty, but it’d be something useful,” Clint drily said.

Both Fury and Natasha subtly cast him careful looks at that.

It either was a request to be taken off field work or providing a purpose for when he inevitably thought he’d be taken off field work.

“What did you gather of Loki’s motivations in this attack?” Thor almost immediately asked, his voice equally layered in concern and curiosity.

“Easy, he wanted to rule, he wanted to get attention and praise,” Tony dismissively said, ignoring the way Clint had paused at the question.

Fury narrowed his good eye. “I believe Thor was alluding to a suspected deeper motivation, Stark.”

Clint nodded and hesitated for a second before replying. “I got the sense of some fear over whoever put that scepter in his hands underneath seizing that throne that he felt he was owed. Nothing to take away that he was very much in charge of the brainwashing and murder, but something was there.”

“Like someone was pulling on Loki’s strings a little,” Steve added on with a sideways look between Clint and Thor.

Natasha furrowed her brow and crossed her arms. “Whoever was in charge of the alien army.”

“The Chitauri,” Thor somberly said before breaking into a deep frown. “As to the identity of the leader who would presumably have backed Loki, I would need to consult with my father and Asgard’s gatekeeper.”

“So another reason for Asgard,” Steve said, flattening a hand to the table surface.

“If you take Loki back, do you believe it’s a possibility to receive some sentencing on Asgard that also allows room for sentencing here?” Fury asked Thor after a moment.

A faintly incredulous note crossed Thor’s features. “By what governing body, may I ask? Midgard is divided and I cannot foresee any relevant organization to this incident with Loki not squabbling over who has the right to punish him and to what degree.”

“Well he’s not wrong,” Clint leaned over to murmur to Natasha beneath his breath.

Fury impassively stared at Thor. “SHIELD alone would handle Loki, we wouldn’t involve the various other government bodies.”

The immediate eye roll Tony gave was practically audible. “Right,” he ruefully said, “because it’s not as though the alien invaders secret didn’t already get out when these Chitauri came out of a giant portal to attack New York City and were widely publicized. But sure, agency secrets.”

“This isn’t about any aliens, Stark.” Fury’s stare slid to him. “SHIELD is equipped for clandestine matters, and the general public is already going to have enough on their plate with the Chitauri, let alone getting to focus on a homicidal alien prince. No one wants to deal with anyone clamoring for the story on that shit, so we aren’t going to put it out there. The aliens that fell out of the sky and the Avengers that stopped them will be more than enough.”

Bruce drummed his fingers on the table and cautiously looked around at everyone. “Are we the Avengers? Is this sticking as an actual team?”

“If we are,” Steve firmly started to say while evenly regarding Fury, “we don’t work for SHIELD. We can communicate and share information, but we operate separately.”

Tony whistled. “Are you just assuming that I’m bankrolling this team of yours, Rogers?”

Natasha and Clint shared an oh boy look.

Well held irritation flashed through Steve’s eyes as he frowned at Tony. “I never said it was my team-.”

He waved a dismissive hand at Steve. “If everyone’s on board, I’ll be the funds. I’m already brainstorming ways to redo parts of the Tower, maybe even rename to Avengers Tower. It’d be a catchy home base, like the Hall of Justice.”

Bruce faintly smiled at the name.

Thor eagerly nodded. “I cannot entirely guarantee how quickly I could return, but we fought well together. I would enjoy the chance to continue that and help protect this world.”

“Besides providing updates on Loki, in your current plan,” Clint pointedly reminded.

“Of course.”

“Romanoff?” Tony directly met her gaze. “You in?”

She spared a glance to Fury, catching what might have been a proud smile as the edge of his mouth twitched up for a moment. “I’m in with Agent Barton.”

“No offense, Legolas, but I think we all want some psych evals done first before we start your Avengers membership, just to make sure Loki’s really gone from your head.”

Clint nodded, keeping his expression neutral. “I wouldn’t expect anything else.”

“Thanks for understanding.” Tony swiveled in his chair to directly face Bruce. “I’d really appreciate having someone with a biology background around, Dr. Banner. Not that the Other Guy doesn’t have his moments, but I can promise you a safe lab with a place to stay and some funding.”

Bruce thoughtfully paused, watching Tony as if to make sure he wasn’t about to add on a quip to alter the offer before giving a response. “That sounds very considerate. And-”

“Top of the line, hard to find, you name it, just get me a list.”

Fury cleared his throat. “Let’s be clear where we all currently stand with the plan. Concerning Loki, everyone will compromise and Thor will take him back to Asgard for the time being, where some level of punishment will be enacted. Thor will then come back here as an Avenger when he can and act as the liaison between SHIELD and Asgard when it comes to deciding what we get to do with Loki. We’ll proceed from there.”

“I can live with it,” Clint tightly said after a moment, putting his pen down on the table as he finished.

“I think it’s the best option right now,” Steve agreed.

“And is there anything else anyone would like to bring forward?” Fury looked into everyone’s eyes as he scanned over them.

“If not,” Tony began after a beat, “anyone else feel like some shawarma for dinner? I saw that place earlier and it sounds really good, plus team bonding?” He grinned and pointed at Natasha when she didn’t hold back a small smile. “That’s a yes from Romanoff, I’m calling it.”

Under vastly different circumstances Fury might have rolled his eye at Tony’s pitch. Instead, he pushed back from the table to stand in an easy motion. “Then if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got an intelligence organization to run.”

“Everyone else up for shawarma?” Tony asked after Fury left.

“I too am curious about this dish,” Thor hummed.

Natasha refused the idea of either Tony or Thor flying the rest of them into Manhattan and instead pulled a favor with Maria to get a Quinjet with clearance to fly back into the city, dropping them off at Stark Tower before they went to the shawarma place.

It was only after they all settled down with their food that they grew especially quiet, everyone thinking back to all the events of the day and seemingly finally letting the exhaustion hit them.

“New part of the plan, we send Thor and Loki off and then we all take a well-deserved break for a bit before starting this team thing, short of another alien invasion in the meantime,” Tony said with a yawn.

No one disagreed.

Notes:

I know some of the details of how SHIELD functions in the MCU are kinda ambiguous from time to time so I'm definitely operating mainly from a headcanon basis, and there'll definitely be some more details of that which will become more relevant in the future.

And as much as I can see some reasons for Steve to end up working with SHIELD in canon, you cannot convince me that the Steve of 2012 Avengers just decided to immediately start running missions with them after some of those events in the movie. He's been around them long enough to start to understand the role the play and all, but he's not jumping to join the secrets.

Chapter Text

After sending Thor and Loki off in Central Park, Clint and Natasha went back to the New York base to talk with Fury.

They were stuck with waiting outside for several minutes.

Clint leaned his head back against the wall with a perturbed sigh. “Feels just like getting called into the principal’s office again. Uncomfortable waiting chairs and everything.”

“I’ll take your word for it,” Natasha lightly said, casting him an amused look. “And we’re not in trouble.”

“Fury’s still making us wait outside his office.”

“Barton.”

He shrugged at her, his gaze briefly going distant. “I know, I’m just anxious to hear the verdict.”

The office door opened, Maria stepping out with an even expression that barely turned into a sympathetic smile. “Barton, Romanoff. Congratulations on the Avengers.”

“Thanks, Hill.”

Neither Natasha or Clint missed the signs of dried up tears in Maria’s eyes.

Natasha did return the sympathetic smile, letting a note of concern bleed through into her eyes. “Any updates yet?” she softly asked.

“I’ll leave that to the Director.” Maria politely nodded at Clint and Natasha before leaving, allowing them to step into the office.

Fury sat at his desk, hands folded in front of him on top of several folders. “Barton, Romanoff. Thank you for coming.” He paused for a half second. “I take it I would have heard if something had gone wrong with Thor and Loki?”

They easily settled into the two chairs on the other side of the desk, Clint giving a small nod in response to the question. “They successfully left with the Tesseract.”

Fury leaned slightly forward. “I wanted to discuss your future with SHIELD.”

Natasha arched a brow while Clint unconsciously braced. “In the context of the Avengers or otherwise?” she asked.

“Both.” Fury unfolded his hands, flattening them on top of the folders. “I’m placing both of you on indefinite leave as field agents until we can figure out what details the press and any witnesses may have gotten about you. We won’t compromise the clandestine and covert part of clandestine and covert affairs.”

Natasha was surprised that her jaw did slightly clench. She had been expecting something like this, tying them up until SHIELD could determine if they had been compromised. “Understood, sir.”

“And outside of running field ops?” Clint asked.

“You’re meeting with a therapist on a bi-weekly basis until they give you the green light to return to activity, and any field work only comes back for consideration after you pass multiple active stressor tests and everyone’s confident that Loki is gone. Whatever considerations the Avengers would have for you, that’s their own call.” Fury slid a folder over towards Clint. “Dr. Katz has some forms she would like to fill out prior to your first meeting.”

Clint took the folder and curiously flipped through a few pages. Space for him to fill out his stress levels with details, how he had been sleeping, the contents of his dreams, a self-evaluation on his mental state, all together nothing he was surprised to see. “Understood.”

“And beyond the current indefinite leave, once the Avengers figure out what to be and the according time investment, your position at SHIELD will be up for further discussion. Until then, you both are still agents of SHIELD and retain access to the according off-duty resources until further notice.” Fury pushed another folder towards both of them. “Inside are the details of your indefinite leave for you to review.”

Natasha pulled her folder onto her lap. “Anything else, sir?” she carefully asked.

His expression went solemn. “The arrangements for Coulson’s funeral are almost all finished. There’ll be a SHIELD service at two PM on Friday here on the base, shortly followed by a graveside service to include non-SHIELD personnel.”

A mournful meow punctuated the end of the sentence, almost eliciting an annoyed sigh out of Fury.

Natasha leaned down to scratch Goose behind the ears as the cat walked under her chair. “Yeah,” she murmured to Goose, “me too.”

Clint also leaned down towards Goose, adjusting his hold on his folders and scratching her under her chin. “I know Goose, it sucks.”

With another meow Goose hurried around the desk to hop up in Fury’s lap, curling up with a content purr as he obligingly ran a hand down her back.

After a second he looked between Clint and Natasha. “Any questions?”

Natasha’s hair bounced as she slightly cocked her head to the side, curiously regarding Fury. “Are you intending to be involved with the Avengers in any capacity?”

The corners of his mouth quirked up in a smile. “I think it’s been made very clear that Rogers and Stark especially don’t want direct SHIELD involvement, but if you think you can convince them that I can provide some valuable input, that’s up to you.”

Clint and Natasha nodded back in eerily perfect unison. “Understood.”

“Good luck,” Fury said as they stood to leave, a note of amusement in his expression. “You’re going to need it with Stark.”

Natasha broke into a smirk. “I can handle Stark.”

Clint waited until they were outside the office and had closed the door before saying anything more, holding up his folders as he spoke. “Gotta admit, that went better than I was afraid it might. The indefinite leave kinda stings, but then I don’t think it’s exactly a surprise for either of us.”

“Mmm,” she hummed. “We just have to figure out how to spend some actual lengthy downtime, short of Stark redoing his timetable.”

He paused beside her as they passed the vacant secretary’s desk. “Yeah, don’t think I’ll be able to join you on too much of that.”

A little “Oh” slipped out of Natasha before she could help it, followed by her quickly steeling her features. The sentiment had surprised her.

Why had it surprised her…?

“Yeah.” Clint drew the word out for a second and ran a hand through the back of his hair, exhaling a moment later. “I’m still fine, really,” he started to explain in a slight rush, “I just want to take some time by myself and make sure that he’s really gone. And I know you would just want to help me and I appreciate the perspective you’re coming from, Nat, I really do, but…” He nervously trailed off, only staring at her with carefully held apprehension.

“But?” Natasha prompted after several seconds of quiet while taking a half step towards him and not breaking eye contact.

He closed his eyes for a second and tipped his head fractionally back with an exhale before looking back at her. “But I’m scared that I’m going to hurt you,” he quietly admitted.

“I already took you in a fight under these conditions.”

“I know, I…” He spread his arms in a gesture of uncertainty. “It’s the things he made me think, living nightmares about killing you. I think he’s gone and all, but until someone else helps to confirm that, it’s not worth the risk to you, Nat. I’m not gonna take that chance of something latent hanging around just so we can crash with Star Wars on my couch.”

She flattened her lips into a tight line and folded her arms at him. “Are you planning on entirely keeping me in the dark then?”

“You’re my partner, you’re the first person I’m going to give significant updates and all too, I promise. I just… you know how it is, when you’ve been unmade. Sorting through all the pieces on the other side, you need some space to remember or figure what you are after that.”

She hated how true his words rang and hated that she was feeling so personally hurt by the discussion. It was practical and exactly what she would have done. It shouldn’t be bothering her like it did.

“I’m concerned for you, Clint,” she settled for admitting after debating for words.

His expression went sympathetic, eyes soft with understanding. “I know, I know, if we were exactly reversed I’d feel the exact same way. But I’m okay, I promise. Really.”

She knew full well how important it was to give him the space for his choice. Even though it wouldn’t stop bothering her.

“If you change your mind, don’t hesitate to ask.” She held up her chin. “I know where to find you, Barton.”

He warmly chuckled, breaking into a full smile. “I’d expect nothing less, Romanoff.”

They continued walking together to the base’s garage, stopping by their respective cars.

Natasha unlocked hers while addressing him. “Should I expect any potential plans before Friday?”

“I don’t think so,” Clint said with a head shake, barely hesitating before adding on, “Do you want to drive over together or separate for the service?”

She glanced down as she slipped her fingers under the door handle. “I was planning on picking up a couple dozen of his favorite donuts on the way.”

“It’s what he would’ve wanted,” Clint bittersweetly said before clearing his throat. “I’ll meet you over there and we can head over together, if that’s alright?”

“I’ll see you then,” Natasha agreed, giving him a little parting wave before they both hopped into their cars and went their separate ways.

Chapter 4

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

In their first day and a half of indefinite leave, Clint went to his first session with Dr. Katz. There was definite work to be done, but she seemed to agree that he was doing relatively well, all things considered. Some things were only going to get better with time and distance, after all.

Natasha cleaned out the bare bones content of her apartment’s freezer and fridge before taking a shopping run, adopting a blonde wig while she was out. No need to risk the red and potentially complicate the situation with SHIELD any further. With her food suitably restocked (and several easily reheatable meals in the mix), she settled in with whatever was on the TV while cleaning out her guns and double checking that her Widow’s Bites were still performing as they should.

Friday morning they met at what had been Coulson’s favorite bakery in the city and picked out a variety of donut flavors, sticking with some old favorites and branching out to a few new flavors.

(“He would’ve liked this one,” Clint murmured to Natasha.

She comfortingly brushed the back of her hand against his. “I know.”)

The donut box earned a few raised eyebrows from agents they passed, but everyone knew not to question Hawkeye and Black Widow, especially at their SO’S funeral service.

Of course, some of those stares also had to do with the spread of rumors about what had happened to Clint.

He set the donuts down by the Wall of Valor before stepping back to stand by Natasha and Maria, swallowing as he moved.

They watched as Coulson’s name was put up on the Wall, followed by Fury giving a few brief words before sending everyone present back to business.

Burials would be handled quietly if an agent didn’t have particular family to speak of, an extra layer of precaution to keep any enemies from finding their grave. Coulson’s was only getting more of a service for the non-SHIELD Avengers to attend.

If they were being honest, Clint and Natasha found the SHIELD service hard enough to go through, let alone the addition of something at the graveside. They’d guess that Maria felt much the same.

She waited until most of the agents had filtered out of the area before walking up to run her fingers over the nameplate, Clint and Natasha watching behind her. “He’d appreciate the donuts,” Maria quietly said after a moment, glancing back over her shoulder.

“We got all his favorites,” Clint said, his voice catching as he finished and tears glimmering in the corner of his eyes.

“I need a drink,” Maria sighed as she stepped back from the wall, turning around to face them. “My office?”

Natasha nodded. “Quickly.”

Inside her office, Maria pulled out three tumblers and a bottle of tequila from a lower desk drawer and poured with a steady hand. She was the first to hold her tumbler up in a toast. “To Coulson.”

“To Coulson,” Natasha and Clint chorused before they tipped their tumblers back.

--

It was another week before Tony texted Natasha, exactly at eight o’clock in the morning.

She figured he had been up tinkering with something mechanical and elected to wait until a decent hour to text. Personally she would have aimed for earlier, but she had to give him points for trying to be considerate.

Time to get the team back together? I think I’ve got the Tower almost ready for the new residents.

He had great timing, admittedly. Indefinite leave was far from one of her favorite things and she was getting bored with sticking close and waiting for the Avengers reunion, especially while things were still inconclusive on the SHIELD front.

Is moving in required? she texted back.

Tony’s response came almost immediately. It doesn’t have to be, but it’ll help with the teamwork. A second passed before a second text came in. How do you think Agent Barton’s coming along?

She paused for a moment at that, debating what to say. Clint’s sessions were coming along well, Dr. Katz was confirming that he was free of Loki beyond the inevitable lingering nightmares. Field work clearance for SHIELD was still going to be a bit in coming, and she was right with Fury on wanting to test how Clint handled active situations under a controlled environment before clearing him.

Summarizing that would be good enough.

He’s clear of Loki and ready for the team, just going to be a bit longer before getting back on the field.

Another few moments before a response. He never actually gave me his number, so I’m hoping you’ll tell him?

Natasha smiled at that. Clint had certainly played along with Tony’s unabashed reservations. I will, but don’t plan on keeping me as a messenger in the future, Stark. I’ll start charging for my services.

His response was almost immediate. Noted, Romanoff. Is tomorrow too soon, around noon?

We’ll be there.

She waited to see if he gave another response before calling Clint.

He answered on the second ring. “Mmm, Nat?” His voice sounded slightly heavy with sleep.

“Let me guess, fell back asleep after your stretches?” she asked with a touch of wryness.

“I overslept,” he said with a yawn and a background rustle of blankets that had to be him sitting up in bed. “Emergency or casual?”

“Business.”

She could almost hear him straightening to attention. “Stark called?”

“Technically he texted, but yes, the team’s getting back together.”

Clint hummed an affirmative sound. “Is this asking me what I want you to tell him or is this letting me know what you said?”

“Any issues with you being ready for the team, just not necessarily to get back in the field?” Natasha tucked her legs underneath herself and leaned back on her couch, keeping the phone steady by her ear. “Unless if something’s changed since last night’s update?”

“No, that’s where I’m at.” A subtle note of rueful disappointment layered his voice.

That would be best addressed in person. “We need to be at Stark Tower by noon tomorrow. I’m not sure what he has planned, before you ask, just the time.”

Clint chuckled. “There’s a mark of someone who doesn’t know the first thing about a briefing.”

She laughed back. “This team’s going to need a lot of work.”

“I’m ready to see you order them around,” he teased.

“Oh no, I’m not the leader this team needs.” Natasha tipped her head against the back of the couch. “You know that.”

“Aww, Nat. You don’t have to be the leader to be a voice of reason. And I’ll be right there to back you up.”

“You’re forgetting that, what we pulled off as a team aside, you’re the only one that entirely trusts me. Stark’s only communicating because of Natalie, and Rogers is going to be leery because of SHIELD. And Banner… we’ll see how involved he even wants to be, but being SHIELD isn’t helping with him either.”

“Plus me being the only one that trusts you isn’t even the best thing after what happened with Loki?” Clint continued as she slightly huffed. “Even if they’re not gonna say it, we know where they’re coming from.”

Natasha adjusted how she sat on her legs. “This isn’t going to be easy.”

“No,” he agreed with a sigh, again shifting in the blankets, “I just have a feeling it’s going to be worth it.”

“I hope so,” Natasha quietly agreed.

--

Happy greeted them in the Stark Tower lobby when they arrived at 11:30, quickly ushering them into the elevator and prompting JARVIS to take them all the way to the lounge floor.

Clint whistled as the elevator doors opened. “Guess Stark took the attack as a cue to redecorate.”

The entire space had been opened up another floor into a larger lounge, divided into top and bottom with a balcony like level wrapping around the top of the room and stairs on either end. As they walked further into the area, they also noticed stairs to a lower level beyond a railing. The main level was comfortably arranged with chairs and couches, and the whole area was encased with glass and light fixture accents.

Tony stood from one of the couches and turned towards them, extending his arms out in greeting. “Hey, you made it. Do you want the tour, since you’re early?”

“I’d wait until we’re all here.” Natasha casually continued her scan of the area, instinctively cataloguing exits and vantage points. Maybe even spots to hide some weaponry, if the Tower became lasting lodging.

“Then feel free to make yourself comfortable in the meantime.” Tony gestured beyond them. “If you’re up for any day drinking beyond circumstances of just saving the city, I moved the bar over there. I’ve also got some fruit juices in the mini fridge if you’d rather go for something non-alcoholic. Oh, and there are some snacks over there too.”

Clint cast him a questioning look. “Are you throwing a party or are we pulling the Avengers back together?”

“Trust me, Barton, this is nowhere near a party.” Tony pointed at him. “But we’ll have one, when you’re fully back in the swing of things. This ‘Earth’s Mightiest Heroes’ thing is worth celebrating.”

“Are you including or discounting Thor?” Natasha asked over her shoulder while she started to walk over towards the bar area.

“We can have multiple parties, whenever Thor makes his way back to Earth,” Tony said with an easy shrug. “They’re good for morale.”

Clint gave a sideways nod before following Natasha over to the bar, leaning against the side with seats while she checked the refrigerator. “Any apple?”

They both ignored Tony snorting from behind while she pulled the bottle of apple juice out, setting it on the bar counter in front of Clint before she grabbed two glasses. “Shot or an actual drink?”

“I’ll go for a drink.”

“I’m sorry, the master assassins are going first thing for the apple juice? Do you only do alcoholic drinks at work and after saving the world?” Tony incredulously asked, both eyebrows raised.

Natasha wryly raised one back while she poured. “You of all people should value the importance of iron.”

Tony blinked before breaking into a faintly amused smile. “First of all, the suit’s actually-.”

JARVIS interrupted. “Happy has just put Captain Rogers onto the elevator, Mr. Stark. Would you like me to inform Dr. Banner that he will be the last planetside Avenger in attendance?”

“Go ahead and tell him everyone else moved up the timetable on us, yeah.”

Clint innocently shrugged. “It never hurts to be early.” He covertly winked at Natasha before chugging his apple juice. “All the better to find out what you had in mind for us.”

Tony dismissively flapped a hand at him. “If you don’t like this reunion complain to Rogers, he’s the one that planned it. I just provided the venue and accommodations.”

“So much for taking a break before starting the team, then?” Natasha lightly asked, fixing Tony with a curious look as she spoke.

He didn’t budge under her attention. “Sounds like it was keeping Rogers up in the middle of the night, and I imagine we all were a little tired of waiting. We’re not that type of people.”

The elevator dinged to signal Steve’s arrival. His eyes went slightly wide as he started to take in the new lounge, walking in a small circle just beyond the elevator to look across the whole scope of the room. “Wow,” he commented after a moment when he focused on Tony. “You weren’t kidding about redoing the place.”

Tony offhandedly shrugged. “Yeah, I seized the moment.”

Steve politely nodded towards Clint and Natasha. “Agent Romanoff, Agent Barton. It’s good to see you.” He paused on Clint. “How’re you feeling these days?”

“Best as can be reasonably expected, but we’ve been comfortable that it’s just working through residual trauma from Loki and not anything more direct in my head since shortly right after.”

“Is that just as far as psychological evaluations or does that extend to field work?”

Natasha watched Clint’s reaction over her glass. He almost imperceptibly flinched at the question, his expression almost too even. Regardless of understanding, the topic still stung. A tight note carried into his voice as he admitted, “I’ve got some tests I’d like to pass before jumping back into field work.”

“Speaking of that,” Tony interjected, “do we need to be concerned about your SHIELD backgrounds including some spying for Fury?” He cleared his throat at Natasha. “You wouldn’t be here if we didn’t feel like we could start to trust you, but it’s happened before, so can you really blame us?”

Steve frowned and shifted his weight, the movement almost comically uncomfortable on his body frame. “Tony…”

“No,” Natasha flatly told Tony, “we’re not spying for Fury. We’re not spying for anyone.”

“Officially we’re even on indefinite leave from SHIELD, take from that as you will,” Clint drily added on after a moment.

“Huh.” Tony looked thoughtful. “Interesting decision.”

After the elevator gave another ding, Bruce stepped into the lounge area, the fact of his not looking around at the room evidencing that he had been at the Tower for a while already. He did glance between everyone’s faces, but didn’t directly meet anyone’s eyes besides Tony’s before giving a little wave. “Uh, hi everyone. It’s good to see you again.”

It had been there with their other interactions, but Clint couldn’t miss the way Natasha continued to carefully regard Bruce. He was aware that there had been a Hulk incident on the Helicarrier and figured that she had been involved, but wasn’t sure how to bring it up or how that would be received.

And he seemed nice enough, when not big and green and angry. It wasn’t hard to guess that, despite her reason for caution, Natasha knew how important it was to make sure he felt trusted to be a part of the team going forward.

“Thanks for the flexibility, Bruce.” Tony clapped his hands together. “Now that we’re all here, do you want to start with a tour of the Tower or business?”

“Tour sounds good,” Clint said at the same time Steve said, “Business.”

After a split-second of staring at each other Clint shrugged at Steve. “Sounds like you’re the one in charge here, Captain.”

Surprise flashed through Steve’s features. “We can do the tour first if you really want-.”

“Nah,” Clint interrupted, “probably better to find out the details before getting lured in with Stark Tower amenities anyways.”

“I’m hurt,” Tony lightly said, no trace of actual sadness in his voice and a teasing glint in his eye.

Natasha rolled her eyes at him while she stepped out from behind the bar. “I think you’ll manage, Stark.”

They all went to comfortably settle in the middle area with the couches and chairs, fanning out in a large circle across the furniture. Clint and Natasha shared a couch, Tony took the chair to their right while Bruce took the couch to their left, and Steve sat on the couch across from them.

He cleared his throat to begin. “Obviously we all worked together pretty well in the moment, but we weren’t as connected a team as we could be. And if this is going to work as well as we think it should, we’re going to have to put in the work for that. Team trainings, team activities beside any personal preparation.”

“Did Stark build adequate facilities for training together?” Natasha asked.

Tony nodded. “Hey JARVIS, would you mind pulling up the visuals of the training rooms?”

Tiny beams of blue tinged light quickly formed a simulated model of a large room in front of them, the walls appearing to be padded and with various equipment pieces that made it almost resemble an American Ninja Warrior course times two.

“We’ve got the obstacle room, better name pending,” Tony started to explain. “If Bruce decides he wants to do more than the science side it’ll probably need some Hulk-proofing, but we’ll get to that when that day comes.”

“If,” Bruce quietly added to himself, glancing down for a second.

Natasha and Clint couldn’t help instinctively watching his reaction before focusing back on the model as it changed into what looked to be a fairly blank room.

“Simulation room, so we can run various scenarios with JARVIS’ help. Still working on some of the physicality here but it should work pretty well.” Tony paused as the model shifted into a large gym. “And some typical training areas with gym equipment. If your favorite machine is missing just let me know and we’ll see to getting it. And,” Tony leaned forward to spin the model around so that one side was closer to Clint and Natasha, “I added on a range area for you with the guns and the bow. Let me know if it needs some tweaking.”

“We’ll have to check it out,” Clint said while Natasha nodded.

“While we’re on the topic of the building,” Tony started with a sideways glance at Steve, “JARVIS, can you pull up the floor view?”

“Would you like the color coding as well?”

“That’d be great.” Tony waited for an outside view of the Tower to appear before continuing, first pointing at a white shaded block of floors. “This chunk down here includes all the training facilities. Everyone’s respective floors are color coded here, we’ve got Thor in the penthouse for easier flying, Barton below that since he likes to be up high, and Romanoff the next one down. Next is Steve, and I’m closest to the party deck since I still have suit access on the balcony. Bruce is the only one that’s below the party deck so he’s close to the labs. Everyone’s got individual kitchens and all on their floors but we’ve also got a dining room below the ballroom and some floors with general leisure activities. Your library, game room, movie theater, etcetera.” He paused for a second. “Anything else important I’m forgetting, JARVIS?”

JARVIS made a chunk of floors flash. “The headquarters of Avengers operations, sir.”

Tony snapped his fingers. “Yes, we have that. Armory, war room, the works. We’ll figure out what all we need there as we go. Hopefully you’ll all feel free to make recommendations and comments on that as we go.”

Natasha watched as the Tower model slowly spun around in front of them. “You put this all together quickly.”

A distant note entered Tony’s eyes. “I had several nights I wasn’t sleeping after the fight, I needed something to do.”

Everyone was quiet for a moment, briefly lost in individual thought.

Steve finally leaned forward to adjust the model, his movements far more hesitant than Tony’s as he pointed towards the training facilities chunk. “JARVIS, can we get back to looking at the obstacle room?”

“Hold that thought, JARVIS, let me show you how to work this a little more, Rogers.” Tony stood and walked over to by Steve, reaching for the model. “Here, you can literally pull out the floor from the building and all we have to do is zoom in like this, get rid of the other rooms and there you go.” He made the appropriate hand motions as he explained.

“I’ll try to remember that,” Steve commented back with only a touch of annoyance. As Tony sat back down he adjusted the view of the obstacle room. “I was thinking we could take a day to settle in and then have a team training two days from now? I have a few ideas laid out to start in the obstacle room.”

Natasha and Clint shared a communicative look before she replied. “We’ll be here.”

“Maybe we can tackle the rest of our business on the tour, Steve, now that we’ve already partially introduced the rest of the building.”

Steve nodded back. “If everyone wants.”

Clint shrugged. “No time like the present.”

Notes:

The fact remains that I will never be over 'everyone living in the Tower with their own floors and all', so back to those 2012 hallmarks we go!

Chapter 5

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The first Avengers team training did not go nearly as well as Steve had hoped for.

From the very beginning, Steve and Tony had started with a small argument about the permissibility of involving the Iron Man armor in the training. Tony insisted that he needed to train with what he would normally be geared up in. Steve insisted that he needed to learn more on how to handle himself outside of the suit.

Natasha and Clint were fine with going along with Steve’s suggestions while sharing this will be interesting looks at the military approach he was taking.

No surprise that Tony was chafing at that alone.

They ended up slipping off to use the other side of the room on their own when Tony and Steve broke into a small shouting match.

She had debated intervening, but opted to leave them to it. When Tony left with a huff, she and Clint only waited to confirm that Steve was done with the day before heading out themselves up to the living room area on Clint’s floor.

“I still don’t know how the hell I want to decorate this,” Clint loudly sighed as he collapsed onto the couch. “A whole floor in a skyscraper is a lot.”

“It’s an adjustment,” Natasha agreed as she sat beside him, tucking her legs up underneath and angling towards him, propping her head up against one hand rested on the back of the couch. “Today was a reminder why it’s easier to just have a partner and not a whole team,” she sighed. “I lucked out with you.”

Clint grinned. “Aww, Nat. I wouldn’t want to be a STRIKE team without you either.”

A corner of her mouth quirked up for a second before she gave a small sigh. “This team might only work in crisis situations.”

“We’re just in the beginning bumps, I still believe that it’ll work out somehow.” He pointedly arched a brow, part of his grin remaining. “Hell, when we started working together it wasn’t anywhere close to smooth sailing, and look at us now.”

She smirked at that, faintly amused. “And what do you think worked?”

“Plain and simple, we had to learn to trust each other.” Clint thoughtfully paused. “Should probably tell Rogers that, that we can work on coordinated obstacle approaches until the sun goes down but it’s not going to matter until we really trust each other.”

She cocked her head slightly to the side, ignoring the loose curl that brushed forward against her cheek. “You take Rogers, I’ll take Stark?”

“As long as this is a short-term thing, consoling them when they can’t get along,” Clint said with a frown.

“We’re not making a habit of babysitting them,” Natasha drily agreed. “Only trying to help them help themselves to get past this point in the dynamic.”

“But while they’re calming down,” Clint started to say while leaning forward to grab the TV remote, “might as well take advantage of Stark’s movie selection. I still need to show you the 1999 Mummy.”

“Oh?” She shifted closer while angling towards the TV. “The Mummy, huh?”

He put an arm over the back of the couch behind her. “It’s a classic and this one is immensely charming. Plus I’ve been thinking about it for some reason, so might as well watch it while we’ve got some time.”

“Mmm, I’m curious.”

--

With the movie done and Natasha agreeing that it was a good one after having made some joking comparisons between Clint and Rick at various points, they opted to go separately talk to Steve and Tony.

JARVIS helped Clint find Steve on his floor, tucked away with a book in his library. He immediately glanced up as Clint knocked on the doorframe and politely smiled at him. “Agent Barton, hi.”

“Feel free to call me Clint, we’re working past being strangers,” he lightheartedly said. “Can I come in?”

“Yeah, of course.” Steve put his book aside after bookmarking his page and sat a little straighter. “Something in particular you wanted to talk about?”

Clint nodded. “Yeah, actually.” He gracefully settled in the seat across the library table from Steve. “Kinda prompted by how the training attempt went.”

Steve’s jaw clenched despite his best efforts not to and he slowly nodded. “A suggestion or something else?”

“Team training exercises are definitely a worthwhile idea, but I think we’re running into how most of us only just barely know each other. We need to build that interpersonal trust before we can work as an actual team. Not that I’m for the elementary school type of trust exercises, but maybe we focus more on getting to know each other before running the obstacle room together.”

“Focus more on the activities, basically.”

“And don’t force it.” Clint smiled. “Not that this approach would necessarily work the same way but back when Natasha and I were starting to work together our SO had us doing a lot of teamwork assessments and fluff personality evaluations. We started agreeing to skip them and go eat, watch a movie, just do something together. Which probably was his plan all along, honestly, to indirectly encourage us to actually get to know and trust each other, but it worked.”

Simplifying the story, of course, but it was the spirit of it that mattered in the moment.

Steve gave another nod. “I appreciate the input.” He thoughtfully paused, ideas clearly running through his head. “Any activities in particular you’d want to do, Clint?”

“Does it have to be serious?” Clint asked, a sparkle in his eyes.

“Not necessarily.”

“Have you ever heard of Nerf guns or Nerf fights?”

Steve curiously frowned. “Not specifically. Would it fall under being more of a training exercise or is it a lot more recreational?”

“If you get creative it can be both, but mostly recreational.” Clint broke into an eager grin. “Maybe it’s just fulfilling a childhood dream but this group of people with Stark Tower facilities to run around in for a Nerf fight? That sounds fucking awesome.”

“You pitch it to everyone else, I’m willing to try this out.”

“Thanks man.” Clint pushed his chair back and started to stand, pausing as Steve’s brow furrowed. “Whatever you’re thinking, it’s not going to hurt me if you ask,” he said, fixing Steve with a meaningful look.

“How are you doing, since…” Steve’s cheeks flushed a shade as he awkwardly finished with, “You know.”

Clint ruefully chuckled. “Loki. Hearing his name doesn’t hurt, I promise. And I’m honestly doing pretty great, just working through sorting out the remaining concerns and getting back into the field.” After a second he added on, “I’m making my peace without getting more resolution but I definitely wouldn’t complain if Asgard sends him back.”

“Would that actually help?” Steve softly asked.

“That’s definitely part of the question.” Clint shrugged with one shoulder. “Realistically it’s not like I’d be planning to torture him or something anyhow, even if I were allowed to, and I doubt he’s going to express any regrets or anything, it’d just… I don’t know. Maybe it’d be something, maybe we’re better off with him staying locked away on Asgard.” His gaze went distant as he finished.

Steve glanced down for a second before directly looking back at Clint. “I know you have Romanoff but if you ever need someone else to talk to… I won’t tell you that I’m the best option out there but I’m here.”

Clint brightly laughed. “Y’know, never thought I’d have Captain America volunteering to help me out.”

“If everyone’s going to make me the leader, I figure I might as well rise to the occasion as much as I can,” Steve said with a hint of cheek and the beginnings of a smirk.

Meanwhile in the labs, Natasha had sought out Tony, guessing where he would head (and likely still be) after arguing with Steve.

Bright sparks of light from something being welded arced past on either side of him as she approached where he sat in his workshop from behind, purposefully being noisy as she came up.

The set of his shoulders had slightly tensed up, only relaxing as he turned around to look at her after turning off his welding torch. “Romanoff.” He lifted his mask. “Guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you just waltzed in here, and yet.”

“If you really wanted to keep any of us out, you would have at least locked the door.” She tossed a loose curl out of her face with an easy movement and crossed her arms, keeping her feet a steady shoulder width apart. “We should talk about what went wrong today.”

Tony sighed and pulled his mask off before fully swiveling around towards her and starting to walk closer. “Are you going to tell me I’m in the wrong?”

“No.”

He pursed his lips, curiosity evident in the rest of his expression. “What’s your play?”

Natasha frowned back, narrowing her eyes at him. “I don’t have a play, Stark, I just want to see this team not self-destruct before we can even get off the ground. I am capable of caring about things. And I don’t think either you or Rogers are in the wrong, just that a mutual understanding needs to be reached.”

“It’s going to take a bit before he trusts me to do more than provide facilities and food.”

“Trust being the operative word.” She unfolded her arms. “We all are mostly effective strangers, it’s no surprise that bonding together to fight Loki hasn’t made us immediate friends.”

Tony picked up a partially finished suit piece from the nearest table and started idly messing with it. “Do the trust falls first, then.”

She arched a brow at him. “If you or Rogers try to make us do trust falls I will walk away.”

“If that’s how you feel, Romanoff.” He set the suit piece back down and looked her in the eyes, his expression gone forcefully impassive. “Do you think we’re just a time bomb?”

“If we’re not conscious of ourselves, probably,” she admitted after a second of what might have been hesitation.

“I really want this to work,” he sighed while sitting slightly up on the closest table, resting his hands on the edge and leaning back.

Natasha stepped over and echoed his motion, matching it. “We saw the potential for what we have and that it works, we just need to learn to get along first.”

“If we had another couple like you and Barton as a part of the team, this might be a little easier,” he amusedly commented.

She cast him a sideways look. “We’re not a couple.” A defensive note had crept into her voice. “We’re only work partners.”

Surprise flashed through Tony’s expression and he gave an innocent shrug in her direction. “If you say so.”

“Stark.”

“You certainly had me fooled.”

“Does this have a point?” she asked with a tinge of annoyance.

He gave another shrug. “Just a comment. But I hear you, change the topic. If the Avengers are going to work we need to become friendly, and that involves building the baseline of communication and trust. I’m thinking we can start with some movie nights, have everyone pick something they want. It’s low pressure, we get to learn a lot about each other on the way too. Bruce isn’t going to be worried about joining. Win-win all around.”

“It’s a good start,” she agreed.

They stood together in silence for several moments before Tony made a small thoughtful sound. “Pepper gets back from her trip tomorrow, if you want to do something with her? I know you seemed to hit things off pretty well with her as Natalie, so I assume that at least some of that is genuinely you. Might take some time to adjust but she’s a pretty understanding person.”

“I’ll have to talk to her, but thank you for letting me know.”

“Any time, Romanoff.”

“I’m expecting you to have the first movie suggestion.”

He warmly chuckled. “Yeah, I saw that one coming.”

Notes:

Here we start the first of many drops of headcanons for Clint's media tastes, though if you've read my other fics some of those probably aren't going to be surprising at all, haha.

Chapter 6

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Clint ducked behind a bullet-ridden car with an exhale, sparing only a split second before peering over the top of the hood.

He instinctively jumped at the sound of an explosion behind him, his body shifting to try to cover everything essential as much as possible and bracing for an impact that never came.

It wasn’t as though SHIELD wanted to harm agents during the active stressor tests, just try to make sure they reacted well to the various situations they could find themselves subjected to in the field. It meant a lot of sound and light cues for anything that couldn’t have an easily non-lethal physical component.

Nothing like a rubber bullet nailing you in the chest to show a mistake.

Not that he was making them, but still.

Clint was on the first of his tests after finally being given the okay by Dr. Katz. She had already moved them down to just one session a week, decidedly happy with the progress he continued to make. For having an alien would-be god mess with his head, he’d come out the other side pretty well.

God, it felt good to be active outside the Stark Tower gym and obstacle room again.

Keeping his head low and his bow held to the side, he hurried from around the car to the next, only popping behind it for a second before nocking an arrow and firing across the street to the agent trying to find him from the balcony above.

He had helped the SHIELD techs develop some net arrows a few years back and they really came in handy for training exercises with the whole non-lethal thing.

That was three of the five enemy assailants from the briefing. There was always the chance Fury was going to throw some curveballs into the mix, but he could have decided to stick to the briefing plan for the first of Clint’s active stressor tests, make sure that he was back in form before testing him further.

Odds were the minimum two remaining ‘enemy’ agents would be coming at him from on the ground or taking cover of their own nearby. They knew he was a good shot and had already taken down their would-be high ground.

The earlier explosion had likely been the result of one of the agents to mimic a grenade.

Taking down weapons dealers always ended up being fun with the toys they inevitably pulled out, as the agents were pretending to be.

Clint immediately reacted to the sound of a boot scraping against the street, nocking an arrow as he looked over the top of the car’s trunk and firing at the approaching agent.

He couldn’t help but smile at the quiet “C’mon man” the agent groaned after getting knocked back with the net arrow.

Minimum one more.

Something small hit the ground in front of the car, slightly rolling under it. Clint didn’t bother looking before running away from it, the booming sound and light of another mock explosion only a few seconds behind him.

Another agent ran directly at him, engaging in hand to hand.

Damn, Fury had thrown in an extra.

Clint chanced a glance backwards to see if the other agent had drawn a gun yet (no, but they were confidently striding over so it probably was happening soon) before diverting one of the hits from the agent in front of him and grabbing their collar before sweeping their feet out with a firm motion and throwing them down against the street.

While the agent momentarily gasped to get air back in their lungs he flipped an arrow out from his quiver, twirling it before triggering it on the agent’s chest and stepping back as the net flew out.

He followed up by dropping to a knee and twisting around onto the other, another arrow already nocked and drawn while he aimed at the approaching agent.

They reached for their gun, stopped by taking the net arrow to the chest.

A several second beep sounded from above, signaling that he had taken down everyone in the scenario.

“Hey man, you did great,” the downed agent behind him commented.

Clint retracted the outer arms of his bow and stowed it on his back before turning to help the downed agent up with an almost giddy smile he couldn’t keep from appearing. Success felt so good again. “You weren’t so bad yourself.” He pulled the agent back to their feet. “I’d watch some of your swings though, you’re going wide and leaving yourself open.”

“I will keep that in mind, thanks.” The agent gave the net an experimental wiggle, frowning as it didn’t give at all. “Er, Agent Barton, by any chance could you help me out of this?”

“Hold still.” He grabbed the base of the arrowhead and flipped up a well-hidden panel before sticking his thumb to the sensor underneath. The net slackened around the agent and collapsed with gravity as Clint pulled the arrow away.

“Thank you,” the agent graciously said as they absentmindedly rubbed at their arm.

“No problem.” Clint walked over to the last agent from takedown and also freed them from the net.

Other agents helped to move the other netted agents to him for easy net removal and a technician took the spent arrows to rework before Clint met Fury in the side office off the test site.

As usual, Fury’s expression revealed little. “That went well.”

He slipped off his quiver and bow before settling in the chair on the other side of the desk. “The extra agent was a nice touch.”

“You always have been good with surprises.” Fury barely paused. “Is there anything that would keep you from coming in for a few more tests over the next couple of days?”

“No sir, I can be here whenever you need me.”

“I’ll expect you the same time tomorrow.”

“Yes sir.”

Fury evenly stared at him for a moment, his gaze discerning. “I already told Romanoff about this, but it does look like both of you are only appearing in blurry images from the battle.”

Clint nodded. “Good to know.”

He was pretty sure he managed to keep the corner of his mouth from twitching down in a frown. Natasha hadn’t mentioned coming to watch the test, he had assumed she had already planned something with Pepper. And to just come to talk with Fury…

“Whatever both of you decide going forward,” Fury continued, “I’m not above admitting that you’re two of my best agents. And I’m willing to make some personal accommodations accordingly.”

“Thanks for the compliment.”

“You know I don’t give them lightly, Barton.” Fury leaned forward, folding his hands on the desk. “And I chose you and Romanoff as first choice Avengers for a reason.”

Clint slightly cocked his head to the side. “You never have told us why.”

Fury settled back in his chair and broke into a small smirk. “The ‘us’ being an operative word. I certainly am not about to start to explain without Romanoff too, and that’s if I feel the time is appropriate.”

A little chuckle slipped out of Clint. “Keeping it as a SHIELD secret, sir?”

“That depends on a lot of factors, none of which questioning me is particularly helping.”

“Anything else you want to brief me on?” Clint immediately asked, keeping a note of faint amusement in his expression.

When you were one of Nick Fury’s favorite agents, you could stand to honestly show your thoughts a little more.

Some days.

Mostly if you were Natasha, even though she’d disagree with being a significant exception.

Fury narrowed his eye at Clint, but continued without a hint of reproach. “No, that’ll be all for now. You can be dismissed, Agent.”

Clint stood with a nod and collected his quiver and bow, strapping them back on with practiced ease. “Then I’ll see you tomorrow, Director.”

He was starting to leave the testing site when his phone buzzed from a belt pocket. Odds were it was either Stark or Natasha. Either way, he opted to quickly check it.

Heard the test went well. You still by the base? :)

Just starting to leave, he texted back. Are you around?

Decided to grab you some good lunch to celebrate passing, lines were longer than I expected. Meet me in the lobby?

Clint veered off in that direction while he texted back. On the way.

Natasha was leaning against one of the lobby columns and pushed off it with a smile as she saw Clint. She held up a bag from his favorite local sandwich shop, waiting to say anything until he was in easy speaking distance. “Any surprises in there?”

“Eh.” He shrugged with one shoulder. “Fury tossed an extra agent at me, but they weren’t an issue.”

“Good to hear,” she said with a smirk, “otherwise I’d be worried you weren’t back to business.”

“Happy to doubly report that I am entirely myself and up to my old tricks.” He gave a mock bow with a little flourish before he accepted the bag from her, taking a quick glance inside with a smile. “Ooh, all the works.”

Her smile had only widened. “I know you too well.”

“You’re not gonna catch me complaining.” Clint took another scan of the lobby. “Do we dare take this to the cafeteria?”

“Mmm, might not want to risk it.” Natasha pointedly looked him up and down. “You change back into civilian clothes and we can take these to the park?”

“Give me 10, I’ll be right back.”

“I’ll guard your sandwich.”

Clint winked at her as he headed back into the base. “With your life, Romanoff.”

She rolled her eyes at his back but couldn’t stop smiling.

Notes:

Small disclaimer: to clarify, when saying rubber bullets I am 100% intending for something legitimately as non-lethal as possible and definitely different from the rubber bullets you may have semi-recently seen a lot of info spreading about. Training exercises take the non-lethal part very seriously!

Chapter 7

Notes:

There's a brief mention made regarding Loki's interrogation scene comment to Natasha about having Clint torture/kill her, if that's concerning for anyone! Nothing more in depth than rephrasing the movie lines, but it's alluded to.

Chapter Text

The first Avengers movie night was the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring (Tony’s choice). Rather than the movie theater, they had opted for the lounge so they could all actually see and interact during the movie.

Bruce sat on the other edge of one couch from Tony and Pepper, while Steve had taken the armchair in between the two couches, Clint and Natasha comfortably arranged across the other.

“Steve’s the only one this should be new to, right?” Tony asked as the movie started.

“I think so,” Steve started to say.

“Mmm, Nat’s only read the books,” Clint piped up.

She cast Tony a steely look as he opened his mouth to start to reply. “Not all of us have had enough time for the whole trilogy, especially the extended editions.”

He closed his mouth with an understanding little sideways nod.

Pepper lightly bumped her knee against his. “It’s definitely a time commitment.”

“Especially since we can’t just leave it at Fellowship after this, we’ll have to watch the other two,” Bruce amusedly commented.

Tony loudly shushed everyone. “The movie is starting, have you no respect for convention or Galadriel?”

At that Clint leaned over to whisper in Natasha’s ear. “As though all of this isn’t going to confuse Rogers.”

She laughed beneath her breath, conscious of Tony waggling an eyebrow at her while Clint shifted back to sitting relatively upright beside her.

Okay, so she could see how it could look like they were together, with the evidence of years of familiarity and comfort between them. And she wasn’t going to start acting strangely around Clint just to prove a point, least of all given that she knew her presence was helpful for recovery.

He didn’t tell her about the nightmares, but she could piece together the fact that he was having them. As light a sleeper as he could be, he didn’t consistently wake up in the early hours of the morning without something that made sleeping worse than being awake. When they were at their separate apartments there had been several messages of things he thought she would like or find funny.

The nightmares were definitely more of a rarity, especially anymore, but since halfway moving into the Tower there was still the occasional text.

And there still had to be some residual fear about hurting her, otherwise he wouldn’t be as hesitant about coming to wake her up if he really needed someone to talk to or just be by in the moment rather than biding his time with texts.

She had been patient with the progress he was making, but she was ready to confront him about toeing the line with her. They were partners, he had to be willing to trust himself with her beyond fieldwork and casual activities again.

But directly taking the subject to him could wait until after Fellowship. It was hard to go wrong with Lord of the Rings and she had admittedly been curious about the movies for some time.

Steve loved Fellowship and asked when they were watching Two Towers, everyone quickly agreeing to pick one of the nights the next week after they figured what the week was going to look like.

As the movie night wrapped up Natasha easily created an escape for her and Clint, prompting them to the living room area on her floor.

They each picked a chair and respectively curled up.

“What do you want to talk about?” he asked as they settled, resting his head against the back of the chair while he looked at her.

“The nightmares.” She continued as Clint broke into a sigh. “I know you’re having them.”

“Like that’s a surprise,” he ruefully remarked, slightly throwing up both hands as he spoke.

Natasha cast him a pointed look. “Have you been upfront with Dr. Katz about them?”

“Is this part of what you came and talked with Fury about?” he asked with a defensive note.

She narrowed her eyes at him. “We weren’t only talking about you, and we’re allowed to be concerned about how you’re coming along.” Somehow she further narrowed her gaze. “And you’re telling me that you haven’t been completely honest with Dr. Katz?”

Clint adjusted in his chair, a small frustrated noise slipping out. “Maybe I don’t want to risk some parts of my nightmares getting to anyone else, especially with knowing Fury’s hearing some of what I say in generalized report form.”

“And you don’t want me to know some of it?” she prompted.

“Nat-.”

“I talked to Loki too, he did slightly elaborate on how torturing and killing me featured in his response to your resistance.”

Clint looked stricken, only able to stare at her for a moment before replying. “You didn’t mention…” His voice went small, trailing off in uncertainty.

“We haven’t talked about what happened with Loki in any actual detail and you’ve halfway been avoiding me for anything serious.”

“What did he say?” Clint quietly asked, an aghast note remaining in his eyes.

Natasha raised both eyebrows at him. “Do you really think it would help?”

He huffed. “I don’t know, but I think not knowing is worse. Loki’s sneaky as hell and fucked up and whatever he said was definitely aimed to hurt.”

She seemed to weigh out his words for a second before replying. “He said the only way I’d see you again wouldn’t be until you played on all my fears and intimately tortured me before killing me.” She hesitated for only a split second before adding on, “With the plan of that also being torture for you, and he’d let you go long enough to realize what you’d done before killing you too.”

Clint screwed his eyes shut and shakily exhaled. “Shit, that’s really fucked up.”

“No one said he was stable,” she drily said.

He sat up so he could lean forward, resting his head on his hands before speaking, evidently trying to keep his voice from shaking. “I know he’s gone and I said it before but I… I really don’t want to hurt you Nat. And I’m scared that falling too close back to exactly how things were before is just opening up to that, but god, I hate putting up these fences half the time.”

“Hey.” Natasha moved off her chair and knelt in front of Clint, gently tipping his chin up and ignoring the glimmer of tears in his eyes. “Clinton Francis Barton, I know you and you are never going to hurt me. And you are stronger than whatever fears he put in your head, you’re the one that broke free from his mind control.”

“With a little help from you,” Clint murmured.

She nodded. “So don’t push me out now.”

He took a deep breath, almost a little shaky. “I just hope I don’t need you to hit me really hard on the head again.”

“Yeah,” she mildly said, “I hope so too. I don’t love the thought of having to slam you around again.”

Clint quirked a brow at her. “It’s not surprising that you took the fight. I’m not hurt to admit that, you’re way better at hand to hand than I am.”

“Don’t undervalue your own capabilities,” Natasha said with a small eye roll. “If nothing else we know each other’s moves too well and can counteract a little too easily.”

“I don’t know, I like to think I’ve got some new tricks.”

“I’ll believe it when you show me.” She slipped her free hand into one of his, gently squeezing for comfort and not taking her eyes off of his. “Nightmares and all, honestly, are you okay? Do I have you back?”

He squeezed her hand back and swallowed. “Yeah, I’m here with you. Barton and Romanoff, entirely back in the game.”

“Good.” She prompted him back to his feet, not letting go of Clint’s hand as she led him over to her kitchen. “Then I’ll join you for your test tomorrow.”

He blinked. “Uh, is that allowed?”

Natasha looked back over her shoulder at him. “I convinced Fury that solo tests are still useful, but that it’s also going to be more beneficial to see whether having your partner with you under the conditions changes anything. Especially if we’re going to start working with a whole team.”

“Right, makes sense.” Clint made a point of looking around the kitchen. “But why do you want me here now?”

She let go of his hand before walking over to the fridge and pulling out a half gallon of milk onto the kitchen’s island. “Celebratory smoothies.”

Clint slowly nodded. “Uhuh, that’s totally something we’ve done before.”

“Now we both arguably own blenders,” Natasha drily said before nodding him in the direction of the few bananas on the counter. “Get to chopping, Barton.”

“Yes ma’am,” he amusedly replied, already heading for the cupboard he guessed the cutting boards would be in based on her apartment’s kitchen arrangement. “Will you be needing any more fruit today, Miss Romanoff?” he teasingly asked, adding a haughty note to his voice.

She pulled out the blender from inside a cupboard. “I also have some raspberries in the fridge and some blueberries and strawberries in the freezer.”

“Understood, I’ll get right on that.”

They moved around each other in the kitchen with unspoken ease, transferring ingredients into the blender and pulsing them together before relaxing against the counters with the finished smoothies in hand.

Natasha pointedly arched a brow as she caught a quizzical quirk to Clint’s expression. “Say it.”

He quickly shifted into a smile with a little laugh, slightly shaking his head with the action. “All this time and I wouldn’t have you down as a smoothie person.”

“We don’t know everything about each other.”

“No,” he softly replied, “we don’t.”

She let a beat of silence pass. “Clint?”

“Mmm?” he hummed through a mouthful of smoothie.

“Are you sure you want to be here?” Natasha intensely searched his expression as she asked.

He blinked and questioningly frowned at her in immediate response, furrowing his brow in concern. “What? Of course I want to be here, otherwise I would’ve turned the offer down in the first place, and especially not have moved in.”

“I made you conditional to my joining the team.” She paused for a second, taking a breath. “We both know they’re all a ways from trusting you in the field still, and-.”

“Hey, that’s just the same at SHIELD anyhow,” Clint quickly said. “Only there there’s a lot more people I already know who aren’t nearly as privy to the details of what happened. And obviously I’m really glad you fought for me to be included off the bat, but Nat, don’t feel like you dragged me into this. We’re both interested in being Avengers, whatever the hell that ends up all meaning here.” He tentatively reached to rest his free hand on top of hers against the countertop, continuing with the action when she didn’t pull away. “I want to be here, and we’re in this together. I promise.”

Natasha again paused, still searching Clint’s expression to make sure he was being entirely honest with her before nodding in his direction. “Good,” she settled for saying after a moment. “Tell me if that changes.”

“You’ll be the first to hear if it does,” he fervently promised. “But we already said that we’re in this, and,” he cracked a smile, “evidently this team needs more of the Barton touch.”

Amusement crossed her expression. “And am I supposed to be familiar with the Barton touch?”

“I’m endearing enough that you decided it was acceptable to put up with me as your partner, and my charm may help to extend to good team making? They may not realize just yet that they need me, but a guy with a bow and arrow really pulls the team together.”

“Mmm,” she hummed, “you do provide long range support. Tactically useful.”

Clint chuckled and whistled. “Aww, Nat. Jealous that you’ve got to share my services?”

She took another sip of her smoothie and affectionately rolled her eyes. “Have I ever really struck you as the jealous type?”

“Nah, but we both know it’s an adjustment to make, working beyond just us.” He ruefully shook his head after a second. “God, we keep on all just cycling back to that, don’t we? It’s a transition, it’s a change, this team is still admittedly tenuous at best.”

Natasha went for more smoothie. “Only because we’re comfortable expressing our concerns to each other.”

“That’s practically psychologist language.”

She elegantly arched a brow back at him. “I promise I haven’t been talking to Dr. Katz.”

“I wasn’t worried about that.” He sipped at his smoothie before continuing, his voice almost cracking. “I… I’m starting to trust myself around you again but I know if I say anything to Dr. Katz it’s only going to jeopardize all this.” He loosely gestured his hand around before resting it back over hers. “I’m gonna be honest with you where I’m at but I’m not… I need this.”

“I know.” Natasha made sure to directly catch his eye. “And as long as you stay honest I’ll support you however I can.”

“You’re really the best partner I could have asked for, you know that?”

A corner of her mouth quirked up in the beginnings of what might have been a smirk. “You made a good call.”

“And cheers to you making yours.”

They clinked their glasses together and couldn’t resist sharing a knowing smile before quietly finishing off their smoothies.

Chapter 8

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

In fitting Fury fashion, their test brief screamed of intel gaps that were going to come up as surprises. He’d even included a line that was almost too close to one of their STRIKE ventures in Monaco to be incidental for them.

Clint chuckled as he read over the brief in the staging room. “Does he really think I’m that off my game?”

“Yes,” Natasha evenly replied without looking over as she read, “we’re here after you’ve successfully passed your other tests because he thinks you’re off the mark.”

“Well then,” Clint drawled, “haven’t either of you heard that I don’t miss?” He added a wink as he finished.

She rolled her eyes but smiled at him anyways. “I’ll believe it when I see it,” she teased back before nodding towards the door. “Let me know when you’re ready to stop bragging and go, Barton.”

He couldn’t help a grin. “Ready when you are, Romanoff.”

They only needed the prompting of Natasha giving the ready signal to slip back into a tactical focus, gearing up and expectantly hovering at the outer door before getting the go-ahead to enter the testing grounds.

The basic idea of the test was that they were infiltrating a terrorist cell to secure a flash drive of stolen research that intel predicted they’d try to use as a largescale bioweapon. Under more realistic circumstances they would have preferred to distract the cell into leaving only a skeleton crew at their identified base, but it wasn’t like directly going in was new territory either, as these particular testing grounds necessitated.

They had the equivalent of two multi-room floors in a building to work in and entered in like they had come up a back stairwell.

Natasha clicked one training gun out of her holsters, holding it angled at the ready and nodding towards Clint.

He readied by the door into the rest of the building, giving her a hand signal before he opened it.

She scanned the surroundings as she walked through, tracking with her gun before holding up a hand to signal back at him.

“Okay,” Clint murmured after quietly shutting the door behind him and snapping out his bow, “you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Floor plan said there shouldn’t be a door to the left?”

“Something like that.” He nocked an arrow and took a step towards the mystery door. “Do you want to do the honors, or should I?”

“It’s technically your test,” Natasha murmured back, a corner of her mouth quirking up in the hint of a smile while the rest of her expression remained serious.

He shortly nodded at her and positioned himself in front of the door. “Ready.” As Natasha pulled the door open he couldn’t help but dramatically whisper, “And behind door number one, we have…”

Among the first things he noticed were the general trappings of a lab, soldering tools, and the husk of what screamed movie quality bioweapon.

Two people in lab coats stopped the tasks they had been pretending to be doing to look up at his entrance, neither of them doing a terribly good job of pretending to be surprised.

He’d be willing to bet decent money they were Science and Tech trainees rather than Operations or other field agents, especially as the one in the back blinked at him.

“Uh, who are you?”

Not exactly top-notch ‘interrupted scientist working on deadly things’ conversation.

Maybe after he’d decide to give them some pointers from his own experience with the real deal.

“Quality assurance,” he casually quipped back, still keeping his bow held at the ready. “I’m just gonna ask that you step back from your workbench for a little bit and we’ll get this done as smoothly as possible.”

The one gave another overly dramatic blink. “You’re not… with them, are you?”

Ah. People being forced to do something against their own choices. Real subtle on Fury’s end.

“I’m here to help,” Clint said, walking further into the room and not needing to ask or look back at all to know that Natasha was keeping an eye on him and the side hallway they had come in from while he talked. “There’s a stairwell this way, just-.”

Another door at the other end of the lab swung open, a woman striding through. “That wiring had better be coming along- hmm.” Her gaze snapped to Clint and she immediately went to draw a gun while, in a much better show of acting, exclaiming, “Who the hell are you?”

Clint hit her square in the chest with a net arrow, sending her stumbling back several steps as she struggled against it.

“Okay,” Clint said while reaching for another arrow, “that’s your cue to move quickly, scientists.” He jerked his head to gesture behind him. “This way.”

They obligingly followed his directions and followed him out of the lab towards the back stairwell.

Natasha waited until the door had closed behind them before saying anything, cautiously keeping her voice low. “That was too easy.”

“I know. Next door?”

She arched an eyebrow at him. “Do you really want to check the storage closet right now?”

“Next door after that.” They quietly continued along the hallway, passing the main stairwell and pausing outside the door as they caught the sound of voices inside. “You packed a smoke bomb or two, right?”

“Of course.”

“Draw ‘em out and pick ‘em off?” he suggested.

Natasha nodded. “Keep an eye to the top of the stairs too.”

“I’m hurt that you think I wouldn’t, Widow,” he lightly commented while heading to position himself in the stairwell, preemptively loosing several arrowheads from their grips in the quiver and aiming at the door Natasha waited by before nodding in her direction.

She only opened it far enough to roll a smoke bomb in before melting back behind it.

Someone inside the room shouted a warning, and it took several moments before any of them started to step into the hallway, careful to use the door for as long as they could and holding their guns at the ready.

The first person past the cover of the door got a net arrow to the chest just as Natasha pushed the door onto the second one out, firm enough to surprise them, gentle enough not to injure aside from some bruising.

Trying to avoid serious harm from training did mean that it wasn’t quite as incapacitating a move as she would normally pull off, and the second individual only needed a dazed second before looking around the back of the door.

Natasha settled for shooting them in the chest, paint exploding across the surface prompting them to dramatically collapse to the floor.

There were only two more people that came out of the room, allowing Clint and Natasha to each take down another one.

He was about to say something before slight movement from above caught his attention and had him ducking out of sight down the stairs.

“How many?” she asked in a murmur.

“Dunno.” He stepped around one of the downed agents with a little “sorry” to stand beside Natasha, both of them facing the stairwell.

However many people were coming down, they weren’t trying to be sneaky.

“I’ll take left,” Natasha volunteered, already moving accordingly.

Clint started to the right, picking around the other downed agents as quickly and carefully as he could before matching her hidden position at the side of the stairwell.

The first person off the stairs happened to look directly at him, but didn’t get the chance to say anything more than a surprised sound before getting pinned by a net arrow.

Natasha leapt at the agent closest to her, holding them as a shield while she shot at the handful of others coming down the stairs.

It made for a somewhat comical picture, the agents carefully collapsing to try and keep from tripping each other up on the stairs in a colorful spattering of paint.

She waited to see if anyone else seemed to be coming before slightly relaxing her hold on the agent. “Do you want to just go down or try something?”

“Uh, I’ll just go down,” the agent sheepishly replied.

Clint couldn’t completely hide a chuckle at the exchange and did teasingly waggle his eyebrows at Natasha while they backtracked to the room they had smoked out. “Aww, I thought this was supposed to be my test.”

“You can bring any complaints about my participation to the Director afterwards,” she breezily said as they crossed into the room.

Various diagrams and notes were strewn across table tops, accompanied by a couple open laptops. They each checked for any flash drives plugged in, only finding an internet adapter USB.

“Still someone upstairs then, I’d wager,” Clint muttered as he stepped back from the table.

Natasha didn’t respond, focused on reading a section of the notes before holding it over to Clint. “Monaco.”

He sighed and took it from her. “I was wondering when that was gonna come up…”

The note described surveillance on a school attended by several ambassador’s children and a line about the name of a janitor.

Clint gave another small sigh and set the note back down. “What the hell does he think this has to do with these tests?”

“Seeing how you respond with allusion to deaths that happened despite your best intentions?” Natasha briefly rested her hand on his forearm. “Clint…”

“I’m good.” He cast her a short smile. “Not like it’s the first with that, and I’m doing good with Dr. Katz about it. If that’s what Fury’s most worried about, this is just easy.”

She nodded and took one last appraising glance over the array of information before heading back to the hallway, Clint following right behind her.

The agents on the stairs did helpfully shift their arms and legs out of the way so that they could easily walk to the upper floor, where they repeated Natasha opening the door and Clint going in at the biggest room the floorplan had indicated.

No other person was inside, only more assorted papers, a literal corkboard and string pin board, and several open and shut laptops in association with several chairs. One of them had an obvious flash drive sticking out the side.

“I think we’ve got bingo,” he commented back to Natasha. “Still waiting for Fury’s last surprise though…”

“He does like us, you know.”

“That’s why he likes to make sure we’re on our best game.” He shifted his bow to his side and started to reach to touch the laptop keys before Natasha stopped his hand.

“Thought we agreed to let me handle tech,” she lightly commented.

Clint stepped back and gestured her towards the laptop. “Right.”

He split his attention between watching their surroundings and looking over her shoulder as she verified the contents of the flash drive.

She immediately drew his attention with an annoyed exhale just before she pulled out the flash drive. “Found the surprise,” she quickly told him while pushing away from the table.

They weren’t getting the failure beep, thankfully, not that either of them had even vaguely expected to.

Clint did want to get an idea what they were in for though. “Nat-.”

She started to shove him out of the room. “Alerted backup’s probably going to move faster than real life here. Where do you want to take them?”

“Back stairwell? And if we’re really lucky they won’t take it either.”

Natasha didn’t bother giving a verbal response, striding towards the back stairwell in step with Clint.

They only reached a couple steps into the stairwell before hearing the sounds of booted steps from below.

“Four,” Natasha murmured. “Only nets?”

“Unfortunately. And only a few left.”

“Hmm.” She let him take the far side of the staircase, leaving him a wider space to shoot in as they both stood at the ready.

The agents coming up the stairs were armored, but Clint surprised the first one to the landing with a net arrow, allowing Natasha the chance to hit an armor gap that the second agent exposed as they moved.

The third agent held the second up as a shield, angling around them to try to fire at Natasha.

She had already dropped into a crouch and gave Clint a moment’s notice in the form of a hand signal before agilely pushing off the stairs to knock into the second agent. The third’s feet slipped out from underneath them as they stumbled under the impact, allowing her to effectively hold them both down.

Meanwhile, Clint had followed her down a couple steps to angle far enough around the inner railing to get a decent shot at the fourth agent, locking their arms at their sides underneath the net.

After a second the success beep sounded.

Clint started releasing the closest agent from their net while Natasha gracefully let up her two agents, successively helping them back to their feet.

It took a bit for him to get all the net arrows released, only partially interrupted by Maria meeting them midway through the process.

“Fury have something come up?” Clint asked over one shoulder with only a glance in her direction as he prompted another net to release.

Maria firmly nodded. “He did. But that doesn’t change that, as a SHIELD agent, you have been officially cleared as field safe, though this does not change the current active duty decision.”

“Do I get a performance review too?”

“Romanoff did take down more assailants than you,” Maria started to say, only Clint and Natasha catching the teasing sparkle in her eye, “and you did primarily stick to only using your arrows, but I’m willing to chalk that at least somewhat up to the scenario and force limitations.”

Natasha faintly smiled after helping the next agent to Clint. “I did also handle the tech.”

“Hey, in agreed upon aspects of our partnership,” he defended while releasing the last of the agents from their net.

“Again, you did well, Barton,” Maria said as the agent walked away. “Some other aspects of your abilities were simply better demonstrated in your previous tests.” Before Clint could give a sarcasm lined reply she changed the topic. “How are things going with the Avengers?”

“It’s still a work in progress,” Natasha admitted while helping Clint to arrange the deployed net arrows in his arms as he picked them up.

Maria started to walk with them back to the staging room. “And you’re still certain the Avengers is what you want?”

“Yeah,” Clint said with a nod. “I know it seems a little ragtag and maybe less than coordinated, but you saw what we pulled off. The idea’s been there with Fury too for a long while, seems right to at least try and further that vision.”

“And I gather that the rest of the team is leery of SHIELD involvement at best.”

Clint halfway shrugged with a little noise of acknowledgement. “Thor seemed comfortable enough but without him we’re outnumbered for relaying the positives, yeah.”

Natasha held the door for him into the staging area. “We can’t blame where they’re coming from.”

“Do they trust you?” Maria asked.

Natasha and Clint shrugged in near perfect unison. “They’re beginning to. That’s just got to be enough.”

Notes:

Clarification in case if anyone is wondering: the (safe) rubber bullets used in Clint's first solo test are more of a ranged non-lethal option for SHIELD training purposes, and the paintball-esque alternatives used here are for close quarters.

Chapter 9

Notes:

At long last, Pepper's appearance! A little shorter of a chapter installment but don't worry, Pepper's still going to be plenty present going forward. :)

Chapter Text

It was seven minutes past when Pepper had agreed to meet Natasha for lunch.

They had agreed on a restaurant they both enjoyed, the soonest availability in Pepper’s schedule a week out from when Natasha had broached the subject.

She idly twirled the stem of her wine glass as she waited, a part of her admittedly comforted by knowing it was an incidental delay. Pepper was far from the type to purposefully stand her up and would call to reschedule if something too pressing had come up.

It was another two minutes before Pepper appeared, hurrying over to sit across from Natasha. “I am so sorry,” she started to say once she reached the table, “My meeting ran longer than I had hoped and then there was an accident on the way, of course.”

Natasha politely smiled. “I figured as much.”

Pepper absentmindedly smoothed out her skirt as she settled before focusing on Natasha. “It’s days like today I miss being able to complain with you afterwards.”

“Well,” Natasha drew out the word, “as much as you’re comfortable saying and if you want to, you still can.” She casually gave a one shouldered shrug. “Especially if you’ve got time for dessert.”

“I’m glad that Natalie Rushman seems to be true to Natasha Romanoff in several aspects,” Pepper admitted with a warm smile. “And I think we can squeeze in some dessert.” She flipped open her menu. “Have you ordered anything yet?”

“Only this red.” Natasha took a sip before adding on, “The French onion soup is back.”

“Oh, that is good to hear.” Pepper scanned over the rest of the menu before setting it aside. “And just to be upfront, I think I can safely stretch this to an hour and a half.”

“Do you want to prioritize catching up or complaining?” Natasha asked with a wry note.

“I’ll complain through when the food gets here, and then I have a lot of questions for you.”

Natasha smiled and comfortably relaxed back into her seat. “I’ll answer what I can.”

She could openly admit to herself that she was relieved that, despite the breach of trust and circumstances, Pepper was open to maintaining a friendship with Natasha and that she hadn’t just been pretending to be polite at movie night. Helping with the Avengers had played a huge part in mending some of her opinion, certainly, but it was a pleasant surprise to be relatively trusted by someone outside of work, especially under the circumstances they had parted on.

Rough patches aside, this whole Avengers thing was shaping up to be a nice life change.

Lunch flew by far quicker than Pepper or Natasha were ready to be done in, prompting them to plan on meeting up for an evening of continued conversation and margaritas on the Tower balcony, far comfier clothes welcomed.

“I have to admit,” Natasha wryly commented as they settled in, “Tony’s bar supply never disappoints.”

Pepper brightly laughed while holding up her margarita in agreement. “It’s certainly one of his charms.” She took a sip of several moments before continuing. “Tangentially related, it may not just have been relayed properly by Tony, but are you still with SHIELD?”

“Officially Clint and I are off-duty agents who maintain some access to SHIELD resources. Director Fury is comfortable with us joining the Avengers.” Natasha slightly tilted her head to the side. “And no, we’re not spying for him. He just hasn’t decided to fire us yet.”

“Do you think he will?”

Natasha was quiet for a long moment, her expression thoughtful, before quietly replying. “I don’t know.” She gently swirled her margarita with an easy hand movement. “Ideally I’d like to imagine there being room for both, but this is... this team is only beginning to figure what threats we face, how much of a commitment it is.”

And saying as much to anyone who wasn’t Clint was surprising herself, admittedly.

Pepper slowly nodded in initial response and gave a small affirmative hum. “Can I ask what convinced you to continue with the Avengers?”

“There’s potential here, and there have only been more of these specialized incidents occurring. We need some sort of response ready to go rather than just keeping on reacting every time something comes up.” Natasha’s tone was guarded. “I may not be able to accomplish anywhere near the same feats as some of the others, but it’s a way to help.”

“You’re a superhero yourself, Natasha,” Pepper pointedly said, directly catching her eye. A little laugh of wonder bubbled out of her. “Everything you did with Vanko and Hammer, what little I’ve heard from everything you did before and in the attack… I have no idea how you do it all but just throwing yourself into these situations, it’s amazing.”

Natasha couldn’t help a blink before regathering her expression into thoughtful neutrality, still letting a grateful note through. “I’ve been doing this job for long enough, it comes with the territory.”

“I thought joining the Avengers was outside the scope of your job,” Pepper said with an arched eyebrow, somehow perfectly balancing a light note and pointed meaning in her voice.

“Yes and no.”

“If you don’t want to talk about it, I promise I won’t push. We’ve got plenty of other things to talk about instead.” Pepper finished with a sip of her margarita before making a thoughtful sound. “I don’t think I’ve complimented your hair cut yet.”

Natasha tilted her head with a smile to send her curls bouncing. “I’m still trying to decide if I want to grow it out again or not, but it has its advantages.”

“Either way, it looks good.”

“Thank you,” Natasha said with a nod. After a second she added on, “Can I ask you something serious?”

Pepper curiously furrowed her brow but nodded. “Of course.”

“How are you handling the impact of what happened in the attack?” Natasha shifted partially forward as she asked, tucking her legs underneath her as she better angled towards Pepper.

“Ah.” Pepper lowered her margarita. “In general or specifically?”

“Whatever way is relevant.”

“Mmm.” Pepper drew out an exhale. “It was stressful and obviously Manhattan and New York at large will be recovering for a while yet, but when it comes to what almost happened with Tony…” She paused for a moment, her gaze briefly unfocusing. “I think I’m glad that I didn’t fully know just how close I came to losing him until after it was all done but there was still a bit when I couldn’t get in contact with him and all I had was a missed call from him…” She swallowed and looked down, her voice going tight. “It’s obviously not the first scare he’s given me, but aliens was… is new. And I hope it never happens again.”

“And with the Avengers…”

Pepper bravely smiled. “I don’t think he’d still be here without the Avengers, and I can’t blame him for who he is. But I do ultimately think he’s better off with a team.” Her voice went soft. “Though I don’t think it’s ever going to get easier, seeing someone I care about fly off into the face of danger.”

Natasha sympathetically knit her brow. “For what it’s worth, I can’t say that it does. You just figure how to work with it.”

“How are you handling the impact of the attack?”

A faintly amused huff slipped out of Natasha before she drily remarked, “The world changed overnight, my job kicked me off active duty, and my current main residence is in this Tower to help this team work. I’d like to imagine I’m taking it as best I can.”

Pepper raised her margarita. “Cheers to that.”

They clinked glasses and took a quiet moment to drink, each reflectively staring out over the lights of the skyline before continuing.

“We should do this more often,” Natasha cautiously ventured, swirling her margarita to allow her a casual reason to glance away from Pepper for a moment.

She was willing to take a chance on being slightly vulnerable with her.

“If I’m lucky my schedule’s calming down enough to be around here more often,” Pepper replied with a smile. “And if there is anything you ever want to see in the bar, we can definitely take that into our own hands.”

Natasha broke into a smirk. “I might have a few ideas.”

“And I have to admit that I am interested in any potentially accompanying stories behind anything interesting.”

Natasha’s smirk widened. “I’ve got a few that aren’t strictly confidential…”

Chapter 10

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Widow, Hawkeye, we’ve got civilians down there, get them out! Iron Man-.”

Steve’s orders were cut off by a strained sound from Tony. “Little busy keeping this from falling on those civilians, Cap!” he added on with a grunt.

Tony was holding up a chunk of the building that had been blasted with a stray shot from a Chitauri gun.

They were in New Jersey, part of Stark Industries’ rebuilding and cleanup efforts having stumbled across a lead on someone stealing some of the Chitauri tech. Tony had immediately prompted the team, short of Bruce, into action upon hearing about it.

Natasha and Clint had planned on something significantly stealthier, only for Steve and Tony to quickly throw those plans out the window when they all realized the stolen Chitauri tech was intended to be used in an attack on the capitol building.

Trying to surprise the thief had only encouraged him to react defensively and start shooting, hence the damage and sudden need to clear the area.

“This feels familiar,” Clint ruefully commented to Natasha as they separated to better guide the civilians out of the way.

She responded with a curt nod before activating her comm as she moved. “He’s starting to look for vantage points,” she tersely warned, “disarm before he can shoot again.”

Above, Tony successfully maneuvered his building chunk into a position where it wasn’t liable to crush any civilians and started to turn in the direction of the thief. “I can’t stop any bigger pieces and we’re gonna get law enforcement coming any time now.” He prompted JARVIS to zoom the HUD screen in on where Steve was running up to the thief. “Think that shield of yours can take a good hit?”

“Seems to.” Steve stopped talking as the thief stopped trying to run away and angled the Chitauri gun towards him, eyes mildly panicked. “Son-,” he started to warn.

“I will shoot! I don’t care if you’re actually Captain fucking America!” A nervous quaver undercut the declaration.

Steve held up a hand while subtly readying his shield arm for an impact and adopting his most serious Captain America voice. “This doesn’t have to get any messier.” He sternly tilted his head. “Stand down, no one has to get hurt.”

Hesitation crossed over the thief’s face just before a car exploded closer to where Clint and Natasha had guided the civilians from.

“Two actives,” she tightly reported into the comm while she and Clint immediately started to better positions to deal with the second assailant, purposefully pulling their attention away from the departing civilians.

With the first, Steve hadn’t managed to get another word in before he jumped and ducked behind his shield to take the energy blast from the gun, getting knocked back several feet before landing back on the ground.

Tony swooped down behind the thief to pull the very sophisticated move of grabbing him and pinning down his arms so that Steve could rush up and pull the weapon away.

“Thief has been contained.”

Meanwhile, Clint had distracted the second assailant with a smoke bomb releasing arrow at their feet. Seizing the opening, Natasha ran up from the side, knocking their Chitauri gun to point down with a solid hit before putting the Widow’s Bites to the back of their neck and knocking them out.

“Two down,” Clint commented over the comms as he jogged over towards Natasha.

She helped the assailant collapse without hurting themself in the process and carefully extricated the Chitauri gun from their grip. “How close is cleanup?”

“Gonna be behind law enforcement.” The thief stopped struggling in Tony’s grip, but he made no action to change his hold. “Why?”

Clint and Natasha shared a look as she set the gun down several feet away from the unconscious assailant. “Your faces are already public. We’re not.” They started to leave the street. “Think you can handle it from here, Iron Man?” she wryly added on.

Tony dramatically sighed. “Sure, you and Hawkeye do your spy thing. Pretty sure Cap wants to talk about this later, but he’s not gonna say anything in front of the thief when he has to say it out loud.”

Off the comm, Clint breathily chuckled and shook his head. “Do you really think we’re going to get a Captain America lecture?”

Natasha halfway rolled her eyes. “Doubtful.” She activated her comm as they slipped onto a side street away from the approaching sirens. “I’ll take your word for it.”

--

She and Clint had changed into casual clothing and started flicking through TV channels with Bruce in the lounge before Tony and Steve were back.

“How did finishing up go?” Bruce asked as they walked in, Steve still mostly in uniform.

Tony gave a one shouldered shrug with a slight grimace. “There’s a variety of opinions out there on so-called superhero vigilantism and whether we’re actually helping or just inviting bigger problems, especially “bringing New York’s to Jersey.”” Tony made air quotes before repeating his shrug. “Not gonna lie, I halfway think Barton and Romanoff had the right idea for fleeing the scene.”

Steve sighed with a touch of annoyance at Tony’s explanation and comment and put his hands on his hips. “They were grateful for the prevention of lives lost and the swift assistance in handling the Chitauri weaponry, but there is some standing disagreement over whether it should have been our call to jump in and whether we should’ve contacted law enforcement first. I can’t say it was the best interaction we could’ve had, but everyone stayed civil.”

“So is this turning into a conversation about who’s in charge of the Avengers?” Bruce asked after glancing down, unconsciously fiddling with his hands.

“We’re not saying that we want to give anyone else control,” Steve reassured before directly looking at Clint and Natasha. “Any experience with appeasing law enforcement?”

Clint couldn’t help a rueful chuckle. “Pretty sure appeasing law enforcement is gonna require doing the opposite of what we’ve been doing, Rogers.”

“Appease was the wrong term.” Steve relaxed his hands to fold his arms. “But I assume you’ve ended up getting in people’s way before?”

“We try as much as possible to maintain the covert of covert affairs,” Natasha drily said before shifting to a more serious tone. “When something did happen, we had SHIELD at our backs to smooth things over.” She didn’t need to look to know Clint’s expression had gone slightly sad, undoubtedly remembering that those times had by and large involved Coulson. “And the handful of times we didn’t, we handled it as best we could and slipped away if we needed to.”

Bruce cleared his throat. “People are scared of what they don’t understand, and this team and the Chitauri certainly fit. We need to build public trust through some visible efforts.” He paused, clearly debating whether to continue before focusing on Steve. “Honestly, I’d consider using you as a figurehead.”

Natasha gave a sideways nod. “Captain America is a beloved figure.”

“I’m not everything the stories have made me out to be.”

“No,” Clint agreed, “but you don’t need to be the Captain America from the stories. The man behind the shield is what matters.”

“And even if you disappoint people’s unrealistic expectations of you as a living legend,” Tony offhandedly remarked, “you’ll be a great Captain America for others. And definitely not a bad face of the Avengers.”

Steve raised both eyebrows at Tony. “And Iron Man’s taking a back seat?”

He gave another shrug. “I think we all agree that you’re more the leading type, Rogers. And we’re both going to be the most public faces of the team already because of necessity and being publicly known.” He ignored a quiet snort from Clint. “Welcome to the 21st century celebrity spotlight.”

“From what I hear, I don’t think that’s necessarily a good thing,” Steve wryly replied, a smile teasing at the edge of his lips.

Everyone else slightly chuckled, Tony breaking into a full laugh.

“Well, you’re not wrong.” He snapped his fingers. “JARVIS, pencil in a party.”

“Would you prefer a Friday or a Saturday?”

“Eh, let’s say Saturday.”

Steve cast Tony a sideways look. “A party?”

He ticked his reasons off on one hand. “Today was another success, so we’re functional outside of fighting Loki and the Chitauri. Barton is back in action. It’s never a bad time for some more relief fundraising. It’ll give you an easy chance to start on building that public trust as a part of the Avengers. And my parties never disappoint. Right, Romanoff?”

“Your birthday party?” Natasha smirked. “I wouldn’t say that was the best example to judge from, but if you say so...”

Tony narrowly sighed. “Hey, in my defense, I thought it was going to be my last one.”

Bruce frowned at him, his whole forehead knit in concern. “Can I ask why?”

He dismissively waved a hand back. “Later, it’s not exactly a short or celebratory story. Next question is if I should only expect myself and Rogers at this party or if the rest of you want to come too.”

Clint and Natasha shared a split-second communicative look before he shrugged. “We don’t have to advertise that we’re Avengers. And we’ve got some experience with blending in at parties.”

“As long as you’re not repeating certain details.”

Tony nodded at Natasha. “Duly noted.” He held both hands out in an open gesture at Bruce. “You in?”

He thoughtfully deliberated for a second more before nodding back. “Okay, I’ll give it a shot. Maybe not as a known Avenger either, but I can be a guest.”

“Excellent.” Tony smiled. “We are going to have the best inaugural Avengers party ever. Short of when Thor finally joins us again.”

Notes:

I promise Thor will eventually get here! This whole story got longer than I had originally planned after I started writing it so still some time to wait, haha. Enjoy the journey!

Chapter Text

While it may not have been one of Tony’s primary intentions with the redesign, the updated lounge made for a great party space.

He had gathered some of the people involved in the rebuilding efforts, both Stark Industries related and in general, along with plenty of rich people with money to spare and eager to mingle with Iron Man and Captain America.

Clint was inconspicuously hanging up on the upper level of the lounge, leaning against the rail and casually surveying the area as the party started.

Natasha was grabbing them drinks- Avengers themed, per the occasion- when Steve intercepted her at the bar.

“Should we be concerned about Barton sticking away from people?”

“Should I be concerned about you already fleeing from having to mingle?” she countered with an elegantly raised brow in his direction.

They stared at each other for a second before Steve relented to answering first. “I wouldn’t say I’m fleeing so much as taking advantage of the chance to discuss a part of the team, but I take your point.”

She politely smiled as the bartender handed her the drinks before replying to Steve. “For personal and professional reasons, Clint likes watching things from above when he can.” Natasha purposefully lowered her voice to minimize the risk of anyone nearby overhearing. “Between that and our not needing to mingle as Avengers, I wouldn’t worry about him sticking away from people.”

Steve nodded. “Good to know.”

“If you get tired of schmoozing New York’s elite, you should try the Captain America.” She held up one of the drinks as she spoke and broke into a smirk, her eyes sparkling. “Patriotic alcohol. You must be very proud.”

“Can’t say that I would have expected to have a cocktail named after me,” he lightly replied, smiling back at her.

“If you’d like, we can tell you later whether we like the Captain America or the Iron Man better,” Natasha teased.

He purposefully sighed and shook his head. “Oh, so that’s how it is, Romanoff?”

She started to walk away, smirking back at Steve over her shoulder. “I’ll take that as a not interested.”

Instincts born from many an undercover party had her weaving past people in a longer path than she strictly needed to take to Clint’s side.

“Rogers looking for an out already?” he asked with a grin as she leaned her back against the railing.

“He was worried about you “sticking away from people”, actually.” She lifted both drinks. “Do you want the Captain America or the Iron Man?”

“If he’s all concerned about me might as well do the Captain first.” Clint accepted the drink and held it over to hers. “Cheers.”

They clinked their drinks together and each went for an initial sip, quietly standing for a moment longer before Natasha leaned slightly closer to Clint, still with her back to the railing.

“I’m realizing that we’ve never been to fancy parties without having something specific to do,” she remarked with a hint of amusement.

“Yeah,” he laughed, “it’s weird to be a normal guest. Well, as normal as us trying not to be obvious is.” He took another sip from his drink “How long was this supposed to go again?”

“At least a couple hours, but people will probably be here longer anyhow.” Natasha pushed back off the railing to turn to look over the party with him. “I think I’m grateful we don’t have to be dealing with people all too eager to mingle with the Avengers though.”

Clint subtly pointed out where Bruce was awkwardly hovering by the far corner. “Looks like he could use some conversation.”

“Mmm,” she hummed in agreement. “You first, I’ll bring a friend?”

“Sounds good.”

They finished their drinks and proceeded to the lower level together, splitting at the base of the stairs for Clint to head towards Bruce and Natasha into the crowd.

He greeted Bruce with an open smile. “Not your usual scene either, Doc?”

“Something like that,” Bruce agreed with a nervous chuckle. He shifted his weight between his feet. “I think I like being anonymous better than being at the center of attention for tonight though.”

“Yeah, definitely not envying Roger or Stark in that position.” Clint let a measured beat of silence pass. “Were you able to figure out what was up with your ion chamber the other day?”

Bruce’s eyes practically lit up at the topic change, the way he held his shoulders also relaxing. “Still not sure what was wrong with it except that it wasn’t the dessicant, but Tony and I agreed we were better off just getting a new one. Until that gets here I’ve been able to use the handheld pretty well, it gives good enough readings for what I need.”

“Promising results?”

“It all looks within the expected range but we’ll see what data analysis reveals.”

Clint warmly laughed. “Right. The good ‘ole scientific method.”

Bruce smiled back. “You didn’t come find me just to talk about my research.”

“No, but not that I mind hearing about it,” Clint admitted with a small nod. “You looked a little lost and I thought you might like a friendly face instead. But if you don’t want company or would rather find other people, I promise not to be hurt.”

“You’re good,” Bruce reassured. “And I appreciate the consideration.” He gestured in the direction of where Clint had been up by the railing. “I take it you like being able to keep an eye on everything?”

“Something like that.” He broadly shrugged with both shoulders. “Old habits die hard.”

Bruce’s gaze instinctively flickered over to a guest that slipped past them before returning to Clint. “Have you, ah, done big parties like this often?”

“Only undercover.” Clint started to grin. “Never had a chance for it but if we want to liven things up a little I do have a few fun party tricks-.”

“No,” Natasha firmly interrupted from behind him, a smile to her voice nonetheless, “you’re not doing any of what you’re thinking.”

Clint’s grin only grew as he angled to look at her as she walked up with Pepper. “Aww, Nat…”

She opted not to give him a direct response, instead adopting a polite smile in Bruce’s direction. “Is he bothering you?” she lightheartedly asked, loosely gesturing at Clint.

Bruce laughed while Clint feigned dramatic hurt, holding a hand to his chest. “The opposite, actually.”

The sentiment immediately brought Clint back to a grin. “Thank you.”

“You’re still not doing the tricks,” Natasha half sighed. “We’ll already be lucky if we don’t see Tony’s suit before the end of the night.”

Pepper gave a sigh of her own, paired with a short, tense laugh. “Luckily I think the suit will only make more appearances at private parties rather than charity events.”

“But it is Tony,” Bruce gently added, his gaze discerning.

She responded with a small one-shoulder shrug, briefly glancing away. “I trust him.” She ended with a momentary lip bite, giving Natasha the chance to start to questioningly frown at her before Pepper adopted a smile and continued. “I take it this is the off the record Avengers corner?”

“Still don’t feel that bad about bowing out of the public eye for this,” Clint remarked as he glanced over to where Steve and Tony were in the midst of chatting with guests. “And hey, we’ve got a nice corner, nice company. Way better than fielding questions and entertaining all night.”

“You wouldn’t mind the entertaining,” Natasha teased with a knowing smile in his direction.

“Eh, mainly if I’m allowed my tricks. Which is still up for debate.”

Bruce smiled at the exchange. “I think the idea in general is to not stand out.”

“Sometimes standing out a little is the key to not standing out overall,” Clint replied with a wink, purposefully trying to sound as sagely as possible.

Natasha immediately rolled her eyes. “San Francisco?”

Despite the slight flush to his cheeks, Clint managed a defensive, “Hey, that was one time.”

Pepper fondly laughed. “I’ve heard that before.” With a side look she and Natasha shared a subtle smile.

“You know, parties are great for sharing stories,” Bruce wryly interjected.

Clint laughed and slightly shook his head while momentarily glancing down. “I guess we can tell the funny parts, unless if you’ve got any objections, Nat?”

She couldn’t help a smirk in his direction. “None to give, but I’ll let you tell it.”

“Okay,” Clint drew the word out as he clapped his hands, briefly rubbing them together before continuing. “I’ll redact the year but we’re undercover at a huge Halloween party this company is hosting to surveil our mark. We’re doing Han Solo and Princess Leia-.”

“Oh my god,” Pepper eagerly interrupted with a laugh, holding a hand out to Natasha. “Please tell me there are pictures.”

“Oh yeah,” Clint enthusiastically replied right as Natasha cryptically said, “Maybe.”

They each arched an eyebrow to stare at each other, quietly waiting for a second before he grinned. “Anyhow, we get a couple Stormtroopers and a Spock, funnily enough, that we’re mingling with and then one of the Stormtroopers starts hitting on Nat pretty persistently with these terrible pick-up lines. It was annoying as hell and risked her not being able to keep an eye on our mark rather than holding off this trooper, so I, uh, thought of a fast way to get rid of him and fake proposed to her.” His cheeks were still pink and he spared a glance at Natasha while shifting his weight between his feet. “It got a lot of attention, obviously, which did end up getting a little in the way of surveilling, but it worked out in the end.”

He was tempted to add on a cough to finish, but held off.

Natasha cast him a supportive smile as Pepper laughed. “I take it you said yes?”

“Under the circumstances.”

Bruce cleared his throat and couldn’t entirely keep back a small smile. “Sounds like you were in the perfect costumes for it.”

Mixed amusement and sadness flashed through both Clint and Natasha’s eyes. They both perfectly remembered what Coulson’s joke to them about the situation had been.

“Yeah,” Clint agreed, his voice light but tinged with a sober edge, “we got some comments about that one.”

Pepper was about to give a response when something on her buzzed. “Right,” she half sighed, “that’s my reminder for my speech. Hopefully I’ll run back into you later tonight?”

“We’ll see how much more of this,” Bruce loosely gestured around, “I opt for, but otherwise yes.”

“Do whatever you need to,” Pepper reassured before focusing on Clint and Natasha. “Any idea for your plans yet?”

“At least a few hours.” Natasha openly shrugged. “We’ll see how it goes.”

Pepper nodded and started to walk away after pointing Clint and Natasha. “I won’t forget to ask about those pictures later, regardless of whether I see you!”

Natasha sighed while Clint freely laughed.

“Sorry, Nat.”

“I guessed it was coming.” She gathered her expression back into polite regard and looked at Bruce. “Are you particularly attached to staying in the corner?”

“Not strictly.”

Clint gestured towards the bar. “Drinks? The Captain America is pretty good.”

Bruce nodded and started to walk towards it. “I think I might go for something a little more traditional, but thanks for the suggestion.”

They each ordered another drink, Clint and Natasha switching off on trying the Captain America and the Iron Man while Bruce got a gin and tonic, before claiming an open cocktail table.

“All this pricey alcohol is gonna have me forgetting the cheap drinks out there if I’m not careful,” Clint joked.

A little laugh bubbled out of Bruce. “Yeah, it’s nice but it is a very different mood.”

“Exactly. Cheap beer and pizza is a whole thing, you don’t replace that with nice drinks.” Clint made a thoughtful sound. “Actually, I’m suggesting that for the next movie night.”

“As long as the movie fits,” Natasha pointedly added on.

“Right.” Clint nodded at her. “I also have suggestions for that. And,” he held up a hand towards Natasha, “not just Willow because it’s fucking amazing. I want everyone to pay attention to that who hasn’t already seen it.”

Bruce smiled. “That is a good one.”

“I know, right?”

“Oh no,” Natasha teasingly groaned, “now you’ve got him going.”

Clint unapologetically beamed at her. “Only until the speeches, I promise.”

He and Bruce chatted about the movie until Tony introduced Pepper for her speech overviewing the Stark Industries rebuilding efforts, followed by speeches from non-SI leaders and a few words from Steve and Tony.

Bruce opted to bow out after the speeches, Tony catching him on the way for a bit of conversation while Clint and Natasha ventured back to the upper level, leaning side by side against the railing.

She bumped her elbow against his to point out where Steve was entrenched in conversation with several women from the ‘rich people with money to spare’ guest list. (JARVIS had been easily convinced into giving them names and basic info so they could do their basic homework on who would be present.)

“Rogers can’t be that dense about green dress flirting while blue plays wingwoman, right?” she amusedly murmured, a smile pulling at the edge of her mouth.

“Eh, he strikes me as the type to be very polite about it and not necessarily acknowledge it up front. Or just stubbornly refuses to flirt for schmoozing. He is pretty principled.”

Natasha quietly laughed. “Are you talking about Steve Rogers the teammate or Steve Rogers the American icon?”

“Hey, just because I might still be somewhat influenced in my perception by the old Captain America comics doesn’t mean it’s completely inaccurate,” he shot back. “The writers not at all having known him aside.”

She patted his hand. “Congratulations Clint, you’re growing up to actually get to know your heroes.”

His gaze went distant for a second, his voice quieting. “Younger me would definitely be impressed with where he is now.”

“As he should be,” she reassured in a matching tone, resting her hand over his. “You’re doing good.”

They stood still for several moments, wordlessly watching the movement of the guests below before Clint cleared his throat.

“Y’know, if we’re going to get reflective we may be better off leaving early.”

“We do have the time for a movie. And I don’t imagine anyone else is using the theater tonight.”

He nodded and instinctively scanned over the room for the best path to the exit. “I take it you’re not dying to watch Willow tonight?”

“Sorry to disappoint.” Natasha casually withdrew her hand from his and matched his scan of the room.

“Nah, it’s fine, we can branch out.”

She smiled at him. “Your choice or mine?”

“What are you thinking?” he asked while purposefully waggling his eyebrows.

It almost merited a laugh if it didn’t look quite so ridiculous. She covered by opting to sound teasingly prim. “I believe you mentioned wanting to rewatch Young Frankenstein the other day?”

Clint grinned. “Oh hell yes. I’ll snag some snacks on our way out.”

Chapter 12

Notes:

I almost forgot to get this chapter up today since I've been busy with the Avengers game beta, so there's my wholehearted recommendation for the game!
On to some headcanon and MCU canon based fun ahead... :)

Chapter Text

“This is ridiculous,” Tony declared, his arms crossed.

Clint shrugged beside him. “It came in handy before. Might as well practice it for more circumstances.”

They were watching Natasha and Steve repeatedly launch her atop various surfaces in the obstacle room with his shield, trying different angles and means of her jumping onto the shield.

“There is so much that can go wrong here.”

“Natasha’s fully capable of the athletics and she’d stop if she wasn’t sure she could make it,” Clint said with a small frown in Tony’s direction.

He nodded with a small sigh. “I get it, it’s just slightly reckless paired with slightly reckless.”

“I’m sure they’re touc-.”

“I know, Barton.” Another sigh slipped out of Tony. “I’m worrying too much, they’re both fully aware of what they’re doing, et cetera.” His eyes tracked Natasha onto the top of a wall obstacle, only looking away when she’d lithely landed. “I’d just hate for something to go wrong in training.”

Clint couldn’t resist a smile tugging at the edges of his mouth. “Y’know, it’s kinda nice to have someone worrying over us.”

Tony unfolded his arms. “I didn’t realize you all could be so adrenaline prone when I agreed to this team. There’s too many of us.” His tone was almost grumpy.

“Maybe that’s why we’re all good together,” Clint said with a casual shrug.

“I’m sure Bruce is amazed that he might be the most normal person on this team.” Tony suspiciously narrowed his eyes at Clint. “What adrenaline fueled venture are you going to suggest next, since you’ve otherwise been suspiciously quiet lately in that respect?”

Clint broke into a wide grin and chuckled. “Well if you’re asking, I did actually have this idea with you in the suit lifting me while I do a little bit of this.” He snapped out his bow with an easy arm motion and started to move to a dramatic aiming position, interrupted by Tony.

“Ah, nope. That’s too limiting to my movement. I will bring you to high places when deemed necessary and that is it,” he firmly said.

Clint made no motions to change his position. “You say that now, but just wait.”

“It’s not going to-okay.” Tony’s phone loudly buzzed in his pocket, prompting him to flap a hand at Clint. “This is actually important,” he said while taking it out and starting to walk away.

“You don’t even know who it is,” Clint lightheartedly complained.

“I actually do!”

As Tony left Clint couldn’t help another chuckle and straightened, collapsing his bow and tucking it back away.

He wasn’t surprised that Natasha had noticed the exchange, communicated through a questioning look she cast him as she stepped out from behind the back of the wall to head back to Steve. Clint settled for a thumbs up in her direction to respond that everything was fine, holding it as Steve glanced back.

She said something to Steve and he relaxed his shield arm with a nod, following her over to Clint.

“It’s looking good,” he cheerily told them.

“I think we’ve decided on the best way to launch,” Natasha agreed, simultaneously subtly fixing him with a pointed look. “Is Tony planning on coming back to finish training?”

“He just stepped out for a phone call, he should be back.” After a second he added on, “Sounded important.”

“Hmm,” Steve thoughtfully hummed. “Then in the meantime, you up for any exercises in particular?”

“Hold that thought!” Tony loudly said as he walked back inside the obstacle room, his phone put away. “Everyone get excited, Dr. Foster and her assistant agreed to taking me up on my funding offer, so we’re going to get a couple new neighbors.”

Steve glanced at everyone else, gauging their reactions before admitting, “I don’t think I know who Dr. Foster is.”

“Jane Foster,” Clint informed. “She’s an astrophysicist, was working on the Tesseract with Selvig. Met Thor in New Mexico the first time he was here and I’m pretty sure she’s dating him.” He shrugged. “However that long distance works.”

Understanding dawned across Steve’s expression. “Lucky to have escaped the facility without Loki catching her then.”

“She was at a funeral actually, wasn’t even there when he showed up. Same for her assistant. But otherwise yeah, she was lucky.”

Tony whistled. “That I was not aware of.”

“Why did you offer to fund her?” Natasha carefully asked, directly looking Tony in the eyes.

He casually shrugged at her. “I’d heard a little bit about her before New York and did a little more digging after she popped up in the Thor homework. She’s an amazing scientist working on some amazing things that clearly are on track. I mean, we all saw that wormhole. And her admitted resistance to trusting some authority figures is familiar, she’s not eager to work with SHIELD again after what happened, and she deserves better resources than patching her equipment together. I’m able to and more than willing to help with that.” He hesitated before adding on, “And yeah, inviting Dr. Foster here does help to ensure that Thor makes this his first stop when he does come back. But that’s really a secondary factor. Science first.”

“Just how many scientists can you fund at once?” Clint wryly asked.

“I’m calling it good with this, but I can think about more if you really want.”

“Eh, I’ll think about it.”

“Right,” Tony said with a nod. “I also have a little more business to get to.” He waited to see if anyone was going to say anything before continuing. “I’ve been debating about whether we should get a PR team, but more importantly for now, we’ve got two of the SHIELD agents who took Loki’s scepter waiting in the lobby.”

Neither Clint or Natasha bothered to hide their surprised blinks.

“Did they say why?” she asked after a moment, well-hidden tension lining her voice.

Tony held out a hand to loosely gesture towards her. “So I take it they’re not friends of yours then?”

“Not exactly,” Clint agreed with a frown. “We’ve rarely worked directly together and don’t really interact otherwise. They’re… we have some disagreements about how we go about a few things.”

“They answer to Secretary Pierce, right?” Steve asked.

Natasha nodded and crossed her arms. “They’re a part of his main STRIKE team.” She focused back on Tony. “Have they said anything about why they’re here?”

“Happy’s been keeping them in the lobby and they’re not feeling inclined to tell him why they’re here.” He pulled up a picture on his phone. “But it’s those two.”

“Rollins and Rumlow. I shouldn’t be surprised,” Clint sighed.

Another text from Happy came in and Tony turned his phone around to read it. “We should decide quick if we want to let them up or just talk to them down there. And how many of us want to talk to them.”

Steve took off his shield and moved to set it against the closest obstacle “I vote we invite them up to a conference room, and I don’t see why we couldn’t all talk to them. I think it’s a safe bet that it’s Avengers related anyhow, but we don’t need to interrupt Dr. Banner’s research unless we know we need to.”

Tony texted Happy back while starting to walk out of the room. “Everyone good with that? Cool. Let’s do this, Avengers.”

They settled into the conference room only a minute earlier than Rollins and Rumlow walked in, everyone evenly regarding them.

Rumlow visually scanned over them from the right, Rollins from the left.

“Thanks for the opening in your schedule,” Rumlow drily said in greeting.

Tony tensely smiled. “Sorry, we’re usually busy without a standing appointment.” He waved at the open seats. “But how can we help?”

Rollins sat down first, holding his back straight in the seat. “We’re here on behalf of Secretary Pierce.”

Steve suspiciously narrowed his eyes at him and Rumlow. “The Secretary should be fully aware we’re separate from SHIELD.”

“He knows,” Rumlow reassured. “And he would have come himself to talk to you but his schedule is busy and we were closer.”

Clint drummed his fingers against the table, not saying anything otherwise. He and Natasha were maintaining their even expressions, figuring better than to openly reveal anything.

Tony opted to lean into sounding blasé. “So what’s so important that you’re just dropping by to talk about?”

Rollins spoke before Rumlow could. “The Secretary would like to ask about the possibility of the Avengers being on call for certain responsibilities that he feels fit your skillsets.”

Natasha elected to arch an eyebrow the same time as Tony bitterly huffed.

“Really? We say that we don’t want to be beholden to being subject to the World Security Council, which, y’know, technically oversees SHIELD and would have fucking nuked Manhattan if it weren’t for us, and the response is to ask if we’ve changed our minds?” His voice raised as he spoke, his tone increasingly annoyed.

To their credit, neither Rumlow or Rollins looked taken aback at the response. “It’s-.”

Steve firmly cut Rollins off. “We were very clear that we were willing to interact with SHIELD on our terms, not jump into working. Trust me, that’s not changing anytime soon.”

Rumlow looked at Clint and Natasha. “And just where do you stand, Agent Barton? Agent Romanoff?”

Natasha shrugged with one shoulder, briefly tilting her head into it. “We haven’t been officially permitted back into active duty.”

“And that’s not only Secretary Pierce’s call to reestablish,” Clint remarked, casually leaning back in his chair.

Both corners of Rollins’ mouth twitched down into a frown, Rumlow’s significantly less subtle.

“Active duty or not, this is a request for the Avengers, not you as SHIELD agents,” he said, unable to keep a tight note from filtering into his voice.

Rollins slightly cleared his throat. “Whatever questions you have for the details, the Secretary will make some time to talk to you when you reach out. And for being concerned about the World Security Council… the position with them can be discussed. But I’d consider how you might be better off as a known entity rather than trying to do this on your own. A little oversight to keep you on track wouldn’t be the worst of things.”

Before any of the others could say anything, Tony especially looking liable to say something sharp, Natasha jumped in. “We’ll discuss it, if you don’t have any other points to raise?”

“Nothing to add.” Rollins pulled a business card out of a belt pocket and slid it onto the table. “A direct means of contacting the Secretary.”

Steve barely glanced at it. “We’ll keep it on hand, thank you.”

Rollins and Rumlow took the cue to push back from the table and stand. “The Secretary appreciates your consideration.”

“Happy’ll walk you back out!” Tony called after them as they started to leave the conference room. He waited until JARVIS informed that they were on the elevator before immediately glowering at Natasha. “We’ll discuss it? What the hell was that?”

She rolled her eyes. “That, Tony, was me giving a response that wasn’t going to try to make an enemy of them and, by extension, Pierce. We can hold our stance without directly antagonizing them.”

To the side, Steve stayed quiet, watching them and propping a hand against his face, his brow furrowed.

“Am I supposed to believe that it didn’t have anything to do with your SHIELD background?”

Clint sharply guffawed. “Of course it did, we’re the only ones here that actually know Rollins and Rumlow or Pierce. We were already kinda hostile, they were on edge and needed to be diffused.”

Natasha nudged his knee with hers under the table while focused on Tony. “Discussion is hardly agreement, and we are discussing it.”

Grumpy acknowledgement passed over Tony’s features. “If they’re up to just waltz in here unannounced, I doubt Pierce is going to let this ask vanish just because we don’t respond.”

Steve lowered his hand back to the table, flattening it to the surface. “Probably not. But we can deal with that later. We made our position clear and we’re operating well. They can’t force us into working under Pierce, especially under such a vague introduction.”

“That part bothers me,” Clint pointed at Steve and admitted.

Tony leaned forward, a curious intensity in his eyes. “In what way?”

“They’re all too eager to get us directly with them.”

Natasha took a deep breath and nodded, folding her arms against the table. “If it was just a specific request, that could be tackled through our agreement to maintain a level of communication with SHIELD and introduced through Fury as a familiar face for the rest of you. Purposefully working around him and taking us by surprise with this requested set up… there’s something more behind it.”

“Well that’s comforting,” Tony quipped in a low mutter.

“Aliens attacked Manhattan and changed the world overnight,” Clint stated.

“Yeah, and-.”

He ignored the interruption. “I can see wanting to work from that into feeling like you’ve got more control over the situation, but this is coming from the guy involved with SHIELD, the WSC, and the US government. Our combined track record aside, he doesn’t need us as a personal response team when he’s got his own personally directed STRIKE team and all those gathered resources at his fingertips.”

Steve nodded. “So what the hell does he want us for?”

Tony fidgeted with his hands, his expression clouded. “And you don’t get where he’s at without being good at hiding your secrets.”

“Or, on the other hand,” Clint started to say, “it could just be a way of trying to appease the WSC’s inevitable request to get us under someone’s jurisdiction, especially if Fury refused.”

“Wait, you’re going from being suspicious to rationalizing?” Tony asked, both eyebrows raised in disbelief.

Natasha sighed, a frustrated edge to her voice. “It’s called being realistic and considering where Pierce is coming from. It’s… strange, yes, but without anything more substantial to go off of for being suspicious, we shouldn’t be preemptively suspecting anything more than precautions taken in covert intelligence. He isn’t in his current position without knowing when and where to openly share his intentions.”

“They have a point, Tony,” Steve quietly said.

He hesitated before nodding, slightly relaxing his shoulders in the motion. “Still, there’s also a point with how Rollins and Rumlow were acting.”

“Yeah, they were significantly grumpier and ready to show it than usual.”

Steve crossed his arms, his jaw set in a frown as he regarded Clint and Natasha. “Can you explain their role, as STRIKE? Are they the same as you?”

“Yes and no.” Natasha bobbed her head to the side as she spoke. “We’re unique as a two-person STRIKE team. The other teams consist of more people and have a counter terrorist focus. Clint and I take on more of a variety of ops as STRIKE Team Delta.”

“So basically they take more people to do less than the two of you combined,” Tony lightly commented.

Clint smirked. “Well, when you look at it that way…”

“And your disagreements with Rollins and Rumlow?” Steve curiously prompted.

“Everyone at SHIELD is familiar with the importance of maintaining the covert of covert affairs.” Natasha carefully picked her words. “That does not mean that everyone agrees on the best way of doing that under continually evolving conditions.”

“And even though Pierce does hold a big role in SHIELD, that never changed that Fury’s been the director and that we operated under his command. Just because Rumlow had something his side wanted done a certain way, the scope of our mission assignment didn’t always line up.” Clint paused, clearly debating what more to add. “Basically just coworker disagreements.”

Natasha looked away from him as he finished. “Again, we can agree that they were acting strangely and that their arrival and request was surprising, without jumping to conclusions that we shouldn’t trust them at all.”

Tony absentmindedly nodded and reached for the business card. “You’re still not planning on trying to convince us to call Pierce though, right?”

“Not unless you want to.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve never responded to someone.” He pocketed the business card and started to push back from the table before hesitating. “Are we calling it good for training for the day or getting back to it? I was gonna go update Bruce on what just happened, but if you want…”

“I think we’re good.” Steve gave a small smile. “Besides, it’s not like you were doing too much training today already.”

“I’m hurt, Rogers. Truly hurt.”

“I’ll just remember for tomorrow,” Steve quipped, his smile only growing.

“Yeah, yeah.” Tony flapped a hand in Steve’s direction before gesturing to Clint. “Barton, don’t forget you’re in charge of dinner tonight.”

He nodded as he stood. “Everyone be ready for the best breadsticks you’ve ever had, it’s gonna be great…”

Chapter 13

Notes:

I've got a bit of (Google Translate quality) Russian in this chapter, but it's right at the end so I'll include a translation in the end note!
This also has our first appearance of a character who will definitely be around for some more things after this that I'm pretty excited for, but all in time! :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

With Bruce putting in a late night in the lab, Clint attempting to introduce Steve to the delights of Mario Kart using the movie theater screen, and Tony running “a quick errand, I’ll be back in a couple hours love you Pep!”, she and Natasha had declared it to be another night of margaritas and relaxing out on the lounge balcony.

“I still have another few chapters left, but it is a good read.”

Pepper warmly smiled. “This back and forth is almost turning into a book club.” She made a thoughtful sound. “Actually, a few more people and that’s not a bad idea.”

“Book club would be new,” Natasha admitted with a side nod. “Do you have anyone else in mind?”

“Maybe Bruce, probably Happy? And if there’s anyone you know.”

Natasha tipped her head against the back of her chair. “Mmm, maybe. They’re with SHIELD and I can’t guarantee they’d be able to commit to a regular schedule, but I know a few people that might be interested.”

“It’s a thought, at least.” Pepper sipped at her margarita for a moment. “Please tell me this isn’t the first regular meetup with friends you’ve had before.”

“Not on the most regular schedules, and we tended to go more for meeting at the range or sparring sessions, but the occasional night out still happened. But yes, this is the most regular occurrence I’ve ever had.”

“That sounds… rough.” Pepper cast her a carefully discerning look.

Natasha shrugged. “It’s not surprising, and we did the best we could around the job. When you understand it’s the best you can do, you get comfortable with it.”

It apparently satisfied Pepper’s concern, her expression relaxing back into casual amicability. “Just another way the Avengers mark a significant life change then.”

An amused huff slipped out of Natasha. “More than you know.” She briefly focused on the horizon, the evening turned to the late purples of the sunset over the city lights. “For all that I never would have imagined this, it’s… better than I could have hoped for.”

Pepper softly smiled at her. “And personally, I’m really glad that you’re here. It’s- sorry, hold on.” She set her margarita down and squinted at the horizon, standing after a moment to walk to the railing.

“Back early?” Natasha guessed, looking in the same direction and spotting the tell-tale thruster trails behind the distantly approaching humanoid shape.

“And I think with Rhodey in tow, unless if he gave someone else a suit that I’m not aware of.”

“I was surprised we hadn’t seen him here yet.” Keeping her margarita in hand, Natasha joined Pepper at the railing, adopting a wry smile. “Do you expect he’ll be thrilled to meet Captain America in the flesh?”

“Absolutely,” Pepper laughed. “Isn’t everyone?”

“Eh.” Natasha tossed her head. “I’m Russian, he’s not that special to me.” She finished with a smirk over the top of her margarita.

Curiosity flashed through Pepper’s eyes. “I don’t think you’ve mentioned that before.”

“It’s a complicated relationship.”

They both went quiet, content to drink and watch as Tony and Rhodey came closer.

Tony dropped onto the suit pathway, walking along with a kiss blown in Pepper’s direction as his suit came off while Rhodey opted for the widest available part of the balcony.

“Hey, sorry to interrupt,” he said with a small wave once he had landed, his faceplate flipping up midway through the sentence.

“You’re never a problem,” Pepper reassured, taking a step towards him with an open smile. “Are you sticking around or is this a short visit?”

He gave a little laugh. “Oh yeah, now that I’ve got a good break in my schedule I’m sticking around. The Avengers have been a thing for this long and I still haven’t met most of them, that’s changing tonight.” Rhodey nodded towards Natasha. “It’s Agent Romanoff, right?”

She responded with a broad smile. “Just Natasha is fine.”

“Then it’s good to see you, Natasha.” He pointed his thumb over his shoulder. “I’m just gonna get out of this inside and see what Tony’s got in mind.”

“We’ll probably head in there in shortly,” Pepper said, accompanied by a small nod of agreement from Natasha.

Rhodey turned and made his way inside, JARVIS greeting him across the threshold.

“I wonder if he’d ever be willing to join the team,” Natasha thoughtfully mused after another sip from her margarita.

“Honestly, he could probably be convinced.” Pepper brushed back a section of her hair with the back of her hand, casting a vaguely bittersweet smile towards the lounge. “He wouldn’t have kept the suit otherwise.”

Natasha gave a small hum of affirmation before drily remarking, “For someone who worries so much, you’ve picked a hell of a friend group to settle in.”

After a blink and moment of staring, Pepper slowly nodded. “It’s not going to get any easier.”

“No,” Natasha agreed before brightly smiling, “but if you really want, I’m sure you could convince your way into a suit of your own and turn the tables.”

“Oh, I’m pretty sure Tony has designs at least drafted, if not at least a full suit built.” Amusement lined Pepper’s voice.

“You could always start drafting a catchy name.”

“Mmm, we’ll see.” Pepper recollected her margarita and started to head back for the inside of the lounge. “Somehow I think the rest of you are all better suited to this hero business.”

Natasha shrugged. “You could surprise yourself.”

“Is this a call for another woman on the team?”

“You have to admit that we are running woefully short on women around here.” Natasha winked over her margarita as they crossed back into the lounge. “But I’m working on it.”

Pepper laughed. “All the better.”

His eyes only on Pepper, Tony waved in their direction from by the elevator with Rhodey. “Think we can extend the margarita party?”

Natasha arched an eyebrow at him with her usual ease. “Depends on who you’re meeting first and how intense the Mario Kart is.”

Rhodey whistled. “Yeah, that’s gonna be a distracting factor.”

“Drinks and Mario Kart can mix just fine,” Tony insisted as the elevator doors opened and they all filed in. “All you’re doing is racing around a track.”

“Clint gets competitive, and Rogers strikes me as the type to be too after he gets into it.”

Delight washed across Tony’s expression. “You and Clint play often?” He ignored the warning look Pepper fixed him with and couldn’t help the grin pulling at the corners of his mouth while focusing on Natasha.

Her expression betrayed nothing aside from vague annoyance. “Occasionally a console showed up at a SHIELD party.”

“I have no idea whether or not you’re lying about none of this, all of this, or half of this right now.”

“I think that’s why she’s good at her job, Tony,” Rhodey lightly remarked, halfway smiling.

“Still. Just when I think I’m starting to maybe figure something out…”

Rhodey laughed. “Yeah, good luck.”

Natasha flashed a smile over her shoulder at him as the elevator doors dinged open and she stepped off. “It’s at least amusing to see him try.”

“Pep,” Tony lightheartedly complained, “help. They’re ganging up on me.”

She shook her head with a little laugh, casting him an affectionate smile. “Did you honestly expect anything less?”

“Not the point.” He opened the door to the movie theater and waved the others through. “Rhodey, all I ask is that you please don’t start making fun of me with Captain America. Not sure my poor heart could take it.”

Rhodey patted his shoulder as he walked past him. “Hey, I make no promises.” His voice dropped to a conspiratorial whisper. “It is Captain America.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Tony sighed while following him in before clapping his hands together twice in quick succession. “Pause or finish the race or whatever as quickly as you can, I’ve got someone I’d like you to meet,” he called up to Clint and Steve.

“Hold on, we’re on the final lap of the last race,” Clint called back.

Tony blinked at Natasha somehow already settling into the seat beside Clint and pointed it out to Pepper with a nudge while responding. “We’ll be right here when you’re done.”

Steve and Clint nodded in near perfect unison, each intently focused on racing around the bends of the Mario Circuit.

A mushroom boost earned Clint a last second win over a computer racer and Steve, complete with an excited whoop as he threw his hands up.

Steve set his controller aside with a small chuckle and stood to face the others. “I wasn’t aware we were going to have a guest.”

“It was a last minute decision,” Tony said with a nod before gesturing to Rhodey in introduction. “Never a bad time to meet Lieutenant Colonel James Rhodes though.”

Both Rhodey and Steve had quickly shifted to standing at attention, Steve immediately saluting him with a serious expression.

Rhodey saluted back before they both relaxed their stances to standing at ease. “It’s an honor, Captain.”

“Please, call me Steve.” He kindly smiled. “Can I ask what branch?”

“Air force.”

Steve nodded. “It’s an honor to meet you too.”

Tony cleared his throat. “What Rhodey isn’t mentioning is that he’s also got a suit and dabbles in super heroics. Would’ve happily helped with New York and all except he couldn’t get here from a mission fast enough..”

“A suit, huh?” Steve couldn’t help a small smirk. “How did you end up wrangling one of those from him?”

“Oh, I just took it,” Rhodey said with a little laugh and a knowing look in Tony’s direction. “There’s admittedly a bit more of a story behind it but that’s the short of it.”

Tony sighed and held up both hands. “Hey, I’ve been more than happy to let you keep it.”

“And I appreciate that.” Rhodey smiled. “He’s been great about taking suggestions for improvements too.”

“Careful what you say,” Natasha wryly interjected, she and Clint having walked up to the others. “We don’t need his ego any bigger than it already is.”

“Tell you what, everyone else can say nice things about me and you can say something scathing to keep me humble, Romanoff,” he quipped back with a smirk.

She shrugged and crossed her arms. “If you really want.”

Rhodey and Pepper quietly laughed at the same time, Pepper resting a hand against Tony’s forearm. “You say that now…” she knowingly teased.

He nodded. “I know.” Tony angled to Clint. “Barton, this is Rhodey.”

Clint extended a hand for Rhodey to shake. “Nice to finally meet you.”

Rhodey grinned at Natasha. “Let me guess, you talked about me?”

She gave another shrug, a smile barely tugging up the edges of her mouth. “I may have relayed a few stories, and it wasn’t as though only complaining about Tony helped a well-rounded conversation. I had to share at least a few things that made it a better undercover assignment.”

“I heard great things about Pepper too,” Clint brightly added on while Tony dramatically pretended to be shocked towards Natasha, casting her an affronted look.

Steve glanced between everyone as they talked with an amused expression, otherwise keeping quiet.

“C’mon, there had to have been at least a few good things to say about me.” Tony pointedly waggled both eyebrows at Natasha. “I know that you like me. After all we’ve been through.”

“You’re not going to have me saying something sappy in front of so many witnesses,” she demurred.

Tony clicked his fingers together and pointed at her with an eager grin. “Aha, but there is something sappy you would say.”

Natasha rolled her eyes. “You hope.”

“I’m taking this as a yes, just so you know.”

Pepper loudly sighed, a smile pulling at her mouth nonetheless. “That’s not going to get you into margarita night.”

Natasha cocked her head to the side. “Though actually, Rhodey…”

He warmly laughed, slightly tipping his head back in the motion. “If the openings in my schedule match up and I’m in the area, I’d be more than happy to drop by.”

Meanwhile, Clint had openly snickered at Natasha’s remark and Tony’s continued dramatic affront. “Good answer, margarita night is a high honor.”

“You don’t even have a standing invitation to margarita night,” Tony suspiciously commented to Clint, narrowing his eyes at him.

He innocently shrugged. “Not yet. But you’re more than welcome to join me and Steve for Mario Kart. The more the merrier.”

“It’s a good game,” Steve agreed with a smile.

“Which, actually, if anyone’s interested…” Clint purposefully let the offer hang and made a small gesture to the theater screen.

Pepper held up a hand. “I’ve got a margarita to finish.”

Tony and Rhodey exchanged a conversational look before the latter nodded. “I’m willing to go a few races.”

“I’ll warn you though, Steve’s actually getting pretty good at this. Especially at his age.”

He chuckled. “It feels more like I’m just lucky with the items, but thanks.” His gaze flickered over to rest on Tony. “Should we count you in?”

“Eh, not this one.” He waved a hand at Steve. “I figure I’ll go ask Bruce if he’d like to be involved with this in person, may or may not be back with him.” He took a backwards step towards the door. “Just don’t have too much fun without us, yeah?”

“No promises!” Clint called back after him.

By the time Tony came back, Bruce tagging along, everyone else had settled in the front row of seats. Natasha and Pepper seemed to be exchanging side commentary beside where Clint was somehow sitting perched on the back of his seat while leaning forward in rapt attention to the race.

“He really likes being tall, doesn’t he?” Tony wryly murmured, earning a small smile out of Bruce at the comment as they walked up towards the front.

Rhodey and Steve were similarly intensely focused on the race beside Clint, Rhodey unconsciously leaning slightly into some of the turns.

Pepper smiled as Tony ducked to press a quick kiss to her cheek and politely nodded towards Bruce. “I see your mission was successful.”

“It’s a good time for a break anyhow, probably shouldn’t be in the lab all night and I was reaching the point of uselessly staring at the data,” Bruce said with a little shrug.

“Wise words.” Pepper purposefully caught Tony’s eye and continued before he could give a response. “Are you more enticed by the break or the Mario Kart?”

Bruce awkwardly chuckled and absentmindedly fiddled with his hands. “It’s probably in my best interest to be at least mildly social.”

“Unfortunately the others might be too absorbed in the game for a while yet,” Natasha lightly said.

“I can still be engaging,” Clint chimed in without looking over.

Natasha smiled and nudged the side of his calf with her elbow. “You have red incoming.”

“I see it – hey! We had rules!”

Rhodey had activated a Boo to take away Clint’s protective rear banana peel. “We agreed to no looking at each other’s screens, nothing about strategic item activation in response to overheard comments.,” he said with an unapologetic grin.

“Nat, we need more codes.”

She arched both eyebrows at him while Tony spoke before she could. “First of all, do you use said codes around us? Secondly, Rhodey, whenever you’re done worrying about that race-.”

“I just won.” Rhodey angled in the seat to face Tony, his grin still apparent before politely nodding at Bruce. “Dr. Banner. How’re you doing?”

“Pretty good, actually.” He paused for a second, absentmindedly reaching up to adjust his glasses. “How about you?”

“Glad that it worked out well for everyone for me to make a surprise visit tonight,” Rhodey said with a smile before breaking into a chuckle. “And beating a couple Avengers at Mario Kart never hurts a day.”

Tony made a sweeping gesture over everyone. “Now, impressed as you all are, I have to remind you that Rhodey was my friend first. Nothing personal, we just go way back. Don’t expect our same level of a bond overnight.”

Natasha smirked. “Stronger than margarita night?”

“We have our own things equivalent to margarita night,” Tony said with a shrug.

Rhodey gave another chuckle. “You’re not gonna start telling our secrets, are you?”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Tony breezily replied with a wink before nodding towards the screen. “But we can see if I’ve gotten any better at this game over the years. Pep, Bruce, I’m trust you to be on my side with code words for obstacles.”

“Mmm,” she hummed while leaning up to quickly press a kiss to his cheek, “good luck with that.”

Bruce had just sighed with a smile as he sat down in response to Tony.

Clint openly laughed. “Tell you what, we’ll all agree to play our Mario Kart fair and square. Sound good?”

“Я не даю никаких обещаний,” Natasha lightly said as she pulled her feet up underneath her on the seat, prompting Clint to practically double over in laughter.

“JARVIS, get us a translation!” Tony immediately exclaimed.

Notes:

Я не даю никаких обещаний = "I make no promises."

Chapter 14

Notes:

There are a few creative liberties taken with some science details in this, but I like to think that a lot is fair when comic book style science is relevant! :)

Chapter Text

Clint finished humming “Don’t Stop Believin’” as he stepped out of the shower and wrapped his towel around his hips.

He had woken up early from a blue-tinged nightmare of Loki coming back and couldn’t fall back asleep, leading to the decision to go do a simple workout to calm down before cleaning up and getting ready for the day.

The unexpected sound of a knock from the bathroom door did elicit an instinctive jump from him.

“If that’s Stark, gimme a sec!” Clint yelled back while glancing over to take in the door. Nothing seemed amiss, and a knock was polite enough…

Natasha opened the door just enough to poke her head through with a frown. “Do I want to ask why you might have been expecting Tony?”

“Uh, hey Nat.” He ran a hand over his hair to try and slick it into something more orderly than coming straight out of the shower. “And no, just running through people most likely to disturb me without good reason.” He raised both brows at her. “Please tell me I didn’t miss another alien invasion in the shower.”

“No such disaster,” she reassured with a partial smile while pushing the door open further. “But,” she tossed his phone at him, “we’re needed.”

He caught the phone with ease and pulled up his notifications.

One encrypted message from Fury, effectively asking him and Natasha to respond to him ASAP at the New York base.

Clint curiously frowned. “Well that’s gotta be important.”

Natasha nodded. “Get dressed and I’ll message him that we’re getting on our way. I already picked an outfit for you and have our suits packed.”

“Y’know, if I didn’t already very implicitly trust you, that might almost sound scary.”

She smirked and took a step back. “You can thank me later.”

Once he had dressed – the selections consisting of his softest purple t-shirt and the leather jacket Natasha had gifted him a few years back paired with his most comfortable jeans, in a twist that he really shouldn’t have been surprised she knew – and tied his shoes he met her in his main room. “If we’re pitching a quick cover idea to the team, I could still need just one more follow-up test.”

She nodded. “Only let JARVIS know, and if anyone doesn’t ask us directly he can tell them.” After a second’s pause she added on, “I can drive.”

“Sounds good.” He cast her an appraising look. “How much did you have for breakfast?”

“A smoothie and some cereal.” She cocked her head to the side. “Why?”

Clint started towards his kitchen area. “Might not hurt to bring a few granola bars for the road.”

A little chuckle escaped Natasha. “Chocolate cherry, please.”

“On it!”

With the appropriate granola bars stuffed in his jacket pockets, they left their cover story with JARVIS and didn’t run into anyone else on their way to Natasha’s car.

He flicked through the radio stations as they left the garage, finally landing on one that was actively playing 80’s music rather than being in the midst of a morning talk show.

“You’re predictable,” Natasha teased.

“Not always a bad thing.” Clint smiled at her for a second before sobering his expression. “Any bets on what this is about?”

“Something he doesn’t want to trust anyone else to handle.”

“I think it’s gonna be longer than the excuse of another test will cover. Hopefully not days, but…”

Natasha hummed in agreement and pointedly kept her gaze focused on the road. “We’ll add to the cover as we need.”

“Are you sure you’re comfortable risking what trust we’ve gotten if this is too SHIELD-aligned and we went over their heads?” Clint asked, his voice soft.

She didn’t hesitate before replying, her voice serious. “Nick had my trust first. They’ll have to understand that if they ever find out.”

Clint nodded. “And I’m all in with you.” He cast her a supportive smile. “Besides, we’re expert spies, we’ve done this a time or two. What could go wrong?”

--

Fury’s expression revealed nothing beyond impassive regard as they stepped into his office, his only greeting a nod of acknowledgement.

Seated by the side of his desk and flicking through items on a tablet, Maria looked up at them. “Any trouble on the way?”

Natasha arched an eyebrow as she settled into one of the chairs across from Fury, Clint right beside her. “Nothing that wasn’t easily avoided.”

After a tense beat of silence, Clint remarked, “Base seems quieter than it’s been in a while.”

“General operations are calming down again,” Fury evenly replied. He pushed a manila folder across the desk towards them, his expression darkening. “But trouble still comes around.”

Natasha flipped open the folder and immediately started scanning over the intel report inside, a corner of her mouth twitching down in a frown as she read. “Is this the most recent update?” she asked halfway through without looking up.

“Radio silence since,” Fury confirmed.

Clint leaned over to read the report with her. “And what’s the plan with bringing us in? Temporarily back on active duty? I’ll be honest, I don’t think being fully reinstated is going to work with where the Avengers are currently at.”

“There will be no change on the official record for your current active duty status. I’m not about to let the WSC know you’re back to field consideration.” Fury paused for a half second. “I trust the two of you to best be able to handle this cleanly and quietly. I need STRIKE Team Delta on the board.”

“We appreciate the compliment,” Clint absentmindedly said.

Natasha glanced up at Fury. “I assume you have transport already in mind?”

“Agent Woo happens to have two available seats in his Quinjet as he transfers equipment to the Wyoming facility.”

Clint started to nod before breaking into a whistle as he reached the halfway point of the report. “No shit we need clean and quiet. Do we have visual?”

Maria handed him the tablet. “Satellite and thermal.”

He held it over so that Natasha could also see the display as he started flicking through the images.

There were a few variations of the zoom on a satellite aerial view of a building, followed by infrared imaging of the same building and the surroundings from a ground view.

Half of the building was a bright amalgam of yellow and orange, sharply contrasted against the surrounding pink and purple tones.

Natasha stopped him on the thermal picture that seemed to reveal the most of the shape of what was giving off so much heat inside. “Do we have any idea if this is just one?”

“It’s our best guess,” Maria said with a small shake of her head.

Natasha responded with a short noncommittal sound as she finished reading the intel report before sticking the open folder onto Clint’s lap and looking at Fury. “Do we already have an in or are we infiltrating?”

“Two of the janitorial staff will be quietly out for the day. They normally meet off site and drive their company van in together, you shouldn’t be questioned as long as you don’t act out of the ordinary.”

Clint nodded as he picked up the folder to get a better look at the contents. “Guessing we’ve already got uniforms borrowed too?”

Maria nodded back. “With the van, already set aside for you.”

After a moment’s pause Fury brought his hands together, his expression softening from serious to thoughtful. “Thank you for agreeing to take this on. I know it’s not the ideal time, but I do appreciate the response.”

“We know you wouldn’t have asked if it wasn’t important,” Natasha said while brushing her hair back behind her ear with the back of her hand.

They all sat for a wordless moment before Clint cleared his throat. “Anything else important for briefing?”

“Be careful, but make sure you destroy it.”

--

Clint tugged on the edge of his uniform collar with an annoyed grumble once they had parked the van in the building lot.

“You’re fine,” Natasha told him with a sideways look.

“It keeps on shifting.”

“And you’re only helping it.” She casually inclined her head in the direction of the building. “We do this every day.”

He nodded. “Yeah yeah, think clean thoughts.” Clint couldn’t help following with an immediate grin as she rolled her eyes. “What,” he innocently said, “we’re pretending to be janitors.” After a half second he dramatically gasped and teasingly added on, “C’mon, get your mind out of the gutter, Romanoff. We’re on a mission.”

“You’re impossible,” she complained while pushing open her door to exit the van.

Clint kept the lighthearted demeanor as he also exited the van, only the casual way he scanned over their surroundings externally indicating the shift into a tactical regard.

They were professionals for good reason.

There were no problems entering the building through the service entrance, only needing a swipe of their borrowed security badges to unlock the door. Once inside, they made their way to the supply closet to bring out the cleaning cart, Clint also opting to snag a mop while they were in there.

“Just because,” he explained with a one shouldered shrug.

Natasha didn’t bother asking for any elaboration and opted to lead the way down the hall.

Building blueprints had confirmed that the heat given off in the thermal imaging was contained in a lab, fitting with the intel that had led to alerting Fury of the place to begin with.

It was never good to have a former SHIELD scientist with a focus in nuclear physics working on something that seemed like a dirty bomb using some of the Chitauri tech that had managed to reach a black market. It was worse when they were suspected of having ties to a HYDRA cell that had recently come to attention.

Making a few cleaning stops en route, they made their way towards the security hub without spotting any guards, only employees who either ignored them or gave short, polite smiles.

With Clint watching both directions of the hallway, Natasha stopped the cart to the far side of the hub door before turning to the badge reader. She pushed her sleeve up to reveal her Bites and withdrew a disc before pressing it to the reader.

Within seconds the light on the badge reader flashed from red to green and the door audibly unlocked.

She immediately opened it, adopting a sparkling smile as she stepped through with a wave. “Hey there.”

The security guard inside didn’t even have time to get out more than a confused “What?” while angling towards her before she had fired her Bites right at the back of his neck and kept him from completely falling forward as he went unconscious.

Clint stayed outside the hub, crossing his arms and starting to whistle as he leaned against the wall by the door and waited for Natasha to kill the building’s cameras while he kept watch just in case of someone unexpected.

She secured the guard’s hands behind the chair and his ankles around the base after pushing it behind the door before swiping his badge and handling the cameras, thankful that it was a relatively simple system for the sake of time.

Natasha handed Clint the badge while arching a brow at him. “Mamma Mia?”

“You know you love it.” He pushed off the wall. “And it’s never a bad time for ABBA.”

“Love might be a strong word.”

“Aww, Widow,” he lightly complained as he clipped the security guard’s badge over the janitor’s. “We’re talking about this later.”

“You hope,” she remarked over her shoulder while again starting to push the cleaning cart, their next destination the lab.

Clint opted not to respond as they continued, keeping an eye on their surroundings as they passed through the hallways.

The door to the lab was nondescript, only the badge reader by the door and the security camera pointed at it indicative of anything important beyond.

Natasha repeated parking the cleaning cart by the door before shifting to stand at the ready as Clint tentatively swiped the security guard’s badge past the reader.

It gave a much more satisfying click than the hub door, earning a low whistle from Clint as he swung it open. “That sounded secure.”

“Not surprising,” she murmured back as they stepped inside the lab.

Accurate to the blueprints, the first area through the door was a locker room for any personal items that weren’t allowed into the lab itself. With only an appraising glance to judge that there was nothing of particular interest, they breezed through into the lab proper, Natasha first.

No one immediately jumped to attention as they came in, the only visible person in the lab with their back to them and busy working at a far bench.

“Can I?” Clint asked beneath his breath, a grin barely tugging at one edge of his mouth.

Natasha nodded. “Just a second.”

He started towards the far scientist while she broke off to the side opposite of where they figured the dirty bomb to be, looking for anyone else around.

Another scientist – Aubrey M., according to her badge - glanced up at Natasha from where she were taking notes at her station beside a piece of Chitauri tech hooked up to a volt meter and cast her a curious frown while noticing her outfit. “What are you doing in here?”

“Clean up,” she said while stepping closer, a partial German accent layered in her voice. “We got a request.”

“We didn’t – hurk!”

She had twisted Aubrey’s arm behind her back and pushed her head down towards the bench in a quick movement. “Who are you working with today?” She applied slight pressure to the back of her neck while firmly adding on, “Quietly.”

“It’s just me and Taylor right now,” Aubrey nervously gasped, “Ed is out at lunch still and Lauren’s on vacation. We’re really a small group.”

“And Ed is in charge?”

“Uh, basically. It’s his project.”

Natasha hummed in acknowledgement. “Do you know how to safely take it apart?”

“… Yes.”

“Good.” She hauled Aubrey back up to a standing position. “Let’s begin.”

While she had found the other scientist, Clint had sauntered up to the far one. When they didn’t notice his approach he confidently leaned sideways against the bench with a flirty, “Hey there.”

Taylor blinked at him after a literal double take. “Uhh… hi.”

“You at a good stopping point?” Clint casually gestured to the microscope and notes in front of Taylor. “Or real close to one?”

“Who the fuck are you? How did you get in here?”

“Just here to clean something up and I could really use your help.” Clint brightly smiled. “But if you need a minute, I totally understand.”

Taylor stared for a moment, suspiciously narrowing his eyes. “What are you, uh, cleaning?”

Clint’s expression stayed bright while he added a serious edge to his voice. “I take it you’re plenty familiar with the dirty bomb you’ve been helping with?”

“How did you-?”

“Not important. Let’s go.”

With their respective scientist in tow, Clint and Natasha reconvened by the shielding covering the in progress dirty bomb, connected with wires to various bits of tech pulled from the Chitauri guns.

As Natasha released Aubrey’s arm, she and Taylor nervously regarded each other, clear uncertainty in both their expressions.

“Take it apart,” Natasha told them, earning a small eyebrow raise from Clint at the accent. Ignoring him, she slipped a handgun out from her belt to threateningly hold. “And we will know if you try something unsafe.”

“Look, if Ed messed something up, that shouldn’t be on us. Please don’t hurt us,” Taylor blurted out while defensively raising both hands.

Aubrey heavily swallowed beside him. “We’re just helping,” she quietly added on.

Clint guffawed. “You’re plenty familiar with what you’re building and at least the vague as to why. Don’t give us that.” He gestured to the dirty bomb. “Get on it.”

Taylor and Aubrey pulled on gloves and obligingly started to work on disassembly, murmuring instructions to each other as they worked.

The Chitauri tech went into a nearby garbage can that Clint had snagged while the explosive and radioactive parts of the dirty bomb itself went into the protective case originally intended for the finished product.

Both Clint and Natasha had been keeping an eye on the entrance back into the lab while also watching the disassembly process. Taylor and Aubrey might be fooled by Natasha’s adopted accent and their knowledge of the situation enough to believe they were HYDRA. If Ed got a good look at them, there were decent odds he could recognize them as SHIELD and complicate things.

Hence why, at the first sound of the door, Natasha successively fired her Bites at Aubrey and Taylor, knocking them out as Clint scooped up the garbage can and case.

She whirled to face Ed as he walked in, shifting to a two-handed hold on her gun with ease to level it at him.

Ed stared for a second, eyes wide, before taking a cautious half step back. “Shit.”

“That’s an understatement,” Clint muttered beneath his breath.

As Ed’s hand strayed to the door handle, Natasha commented, “I wouldn’t.”

His eyes erratically searched over her before straying to Clint and what he held. “Let me guess, SHIELD?”

It had been a nice hope, not to be made by him.

Regardless of whether he specifically recognized them, Natasha opted for a dark smile. “Did you really think SHIELD wasn’t keeping an eye on you, Doctor?”

“I suppose not,” he cautiously said. “Are you here to kill me?”

“It’s not our intention.” Natasha cocked her head to the side. “We’ll give you a chance to be forthcoming about your HYDRA contacts.”

Ed finally brought his hand away from the direction of the handle and back by his side. “What do you already know?” he sighed.

“Actually, let’s step out and talk?” Clint suggested with a nod towards the door.

His expression tense, Ed obligingly opened the door while starting to speak. “I don’t know whether to be flattered or surprised that there are only two of you. Either some of the best or I’m viewed as a low-level threat here.” A nervous note ran through his voice, coupled with the way his gaze frantically darted around towards the main door back to the hallway. “But if you’re SHIELD, I’m at least hopefully correct that you didn’t kill Aubrey and Taylor? They’re involved, but they’re not… in depth.”

“They’re only unconscious,” Natasha confirmed as she shut the inner lab door behind her and Clint.

“Good, good…” Ed trailed off before gulping. “What’s the plan with them, with me?”

Clint shrugged. “That all depends. How much do they know, how in depth are you?”

“As much as they’re -.”

The sudden blare of the fire alarm interrupted Ed.

Clint frowned and exchanged a short questioning look with Natasha. “I don’t suppose that just tends to go off at random?” he asked Ed while slightly adjusting his grip on the case.

“No,” he replied with a shake of his head, “that would be real.”

“Stick with us, don’t try anything,” Clint warned with a pointed expression. “We’re here because we’re that good.”

Natasha slipped her gun back away and reached to hold the door open.

Ed’s eyes widened as he moved to step through, and before he could open his mouth to say anything a gunshot rang out and he stumbled back with a whine of pained surprise, one hand unconsciously reaching to his chest.

Before Natasha could react, the door slammed into her as the result of a shoulder push from someone in unlabeled tactical gear.

“Hey!” Clint exclaimed while rushing forward to ram into the person, using the garbage can as cover and swinging the case at their head after making contact.

They slumped in the doorframe with a groan.

Natasha slipped out from the door with a shake of her head, her expression grim. “Hawkeye?”

“You okay?” he worriedly asked as he turned, his focus only on Natasha for a second before remembering Ed. “Uh, Doctor Hills?”

Blood trickled out of his mouth as he shakily gasped from where he was laying on the floor, his breathing harsh. “HY… HYDRA. Not… alone.” He finished on a cough that morphed into a choking sound.

Natasha knelt by him and tried to prop him up, frowning at the amount of blood that dribbled out of his mouth even as he didn’t stop choking. “Doctor-.” She stopped as his eyes rolled back and waited for a second before closing them.

“Shit,” Clint ruefully sighed.

“Shit,” she agreed as she supported Ed back to a laying position and stood with a flinch, one hand going to her side.

“You okay?” Clint repeated after a glance over his shoulder into the main hallway.

“I’m fine,” she said with a nod. “Just bruised from the handle.”

A radio crackled on the mystery assailant’s belt. “Ferdinand to Tango, what is the status of the lab?”

Natasha picked up the radio and held it over to Clint before clicking the button.

“Clear,” he said into it with a slightly lowered voice and a one shouldered shrug paired with an uncertain grimace.

She clipped the radio to her uniform. “We’ll see.”

A reply crackled back after a second. “Acknowledged, Tango. Ferdinand to Maple, status update?”

Clint gave a relieved sigh as update chatter continued on the radio. “That buys us some time.”

Natasha nodded towards his chest. “Do you want me to take one of those?”

“You’ve got the gun if we need it.”

They didn’t bother to take the cleaning cart with them as they jogged through the building towards the parking lot.

Clint noticed the way Natasha was grimacing in seeming response to the flashing lights and continued ringing of the fire alarm, but knew well enough to wait until they had seemed to safely reach the van beyond the crowd of waiting employees and loaded the garbage can and case into the back before saying anything.

“I think you’re mildly concussed.”

“I was hit by the door, it’s probably just a headache.”

He fixed her with a pointed look. “Not our first rodeo with concussions. If we didn’t need to rush out I’d go through the checklist, but they’re definitely noticing that Tango’s been unresponsive. Please don’t try and be stubborn about it.”

Natasha went for the passenger side. “I’ll try not to pass out.”

Clint paused after starting the van, continuing his pointed look. “Don’t joke about that, Romanoff.”

“Drive, I’ll be fine,” she reassured.

As soon as they agreed on being safely away from the building, he pulled over to run through the concussion checklist with her before somberly nodding. “Well, you are definitely concussed.”

“We don’t tell the team unless if we absolutely have to.”

“You’re not supposed to be thinking.”

The admitted way her head hurt was the biggest thing keeping her from rolling her eyes at him. “We both know that’s not realistic.”

“Try to stop thinking, you know you can trust me to handle everything necessary.” He layered a beseeching note into his voice.

She slowly leaned her head against the seat with a small hum of agreement. “Thank you, Clint.”

Chapter Text

While Natasha thankfully dozed off a little on the Quinjet ride he had worked out back to the New York base, Clint started writing the bare bones of their report. It may have gone faster if he hadn’t been consistently listening to the sounds of her breathing, but he didn’t feel he could be blamed for wanting to verify that everything seemed to be okay.

She went to medical for a quick check up while he gave a summary of events to Fury and Maria, making sure to give what detail he could about the mysterious HYDRA team. Natasha came away with another official concussion on her record and verification of bruised ribs while he got well wishes for her and a repeated thank you for both of them.

The concussion also made for an especially quiet drive back to Avengers Tower, Clint internally reflecting on how to handle the various responses they could find themselves getting once they were back. It was later in the day than either of them had hoped, but it had been necessary with medical concerns.

“If we need we can tell them about the concussion,” Natasha unexpectedly said.

He glanced at her with a frown. “Nat-.”

“You were thinking too loud.” She pursed her lips. “It’s not ideal, but today didn’t go to plan anyways.”

“I’ll handle it,” he reassured.

“And I’m just telling you that if we need to, we can.” After a moment she grimaced and put a hand over her eyes, unsuccessfully trying to turn away from the glare of the street lights. “Everything is too damn bright,” she grumbled.

“Uh, let’s see.” He prompted the sunglasses holder open with one hand and fished out the pair inside to hand to her. “You’re prepared for everything, as usual.”

She lowered her hand as she slid the sunglasses on. “Not the door.”

“Just try to relax, yeah? We’re almost to the Tower and then we can get you settled in.”

Natasha was quiet for several more minutes before quietly asking, “Clint?”

The tone of her voice was enough to prompt him to glance away from the road to her. “Yeah?”

She bit at her lower lip for a moment before continuing. “Will you stay the night with me? I’d rather have you than asking JARVIS to monitor my vitals just in case.”

“Yeah, of course.”

He could admit to himself that he was relieved she seemed to be taking her concussion seriously. There had only been a few of them over the course of their years together, all thankfully mild, but she always ended up trying to get over it a little too soon and given him no small amount of worry that there would be some unexpected resulting complication.

And even though he had been planning on reminding that medical recommended someone else keep an eye on her for any unusual side effects anyway, it was nice to be asked.

She didn’t start any more conversation the rest of the way to the Tower garage and even let Clint grab their uniform bags before they jointly went to the elevator.

It stopped on the party deck to let an annoyed looking Tony in. “Where the hell have you been?” he sharply asked, his eyes full of mistrust.

Clint resisted a sigh and instead arched an eyebrow. “JARVIS was supposed to tell you.”

Tony’s expression darkened as he knit his brow in something of a glower. “Oh, he did. It just doesn’t add up with being gone all day, having already been cleared for the field from the SHIELD end of things or the fact that you,” he pointed at Natasha, “were sneaking into his room early this morning with one of those bags.” His point shifted to Clint. “Don’t tell me it doesn’t scream sketchy SHIELD business, I’m not an idiot.”

“Stark, can this wait-,” Clint started to say, a little bit of a sigh coming through.

“No, I want to know what you’re up to and why you claimed you weren’t up to sketchy SHIELD business anymore only for this to happen.” Behind him the elevator opened on Natasha’s floor with a ding and he moved to block the opening as Clint took a half step forward. “I trusted you,” he moodily said, his gaze mostly focused on Natasha. “But you really can’t shake being a triple imposter, can you?”

Anger flashed through Clint’s expression while Natasha’s jaw clenched. “Tony,” she sighed while pressing her fingers to her temple, “not now.”

“Hey, if you-.”

“She’s got a concussion, she needs to rest, not get a surprise interrogation,” Clint snapped with another step towards Tony.

A note of concern immediately crossed through his eyes as he looked at Natasha, carrying through into his voice. “What happened?”

“I was hit in the head,” she drily said.

Clint relaxed his stance. “Look, you can interrogate me in a little bit if you really want, but Nat’s gotta get settled in. Now are you going to back down or not?”

Tony dropped his arms from blocking the opening and let Natasha and Clint pass without obstruction. He opted to hover in the elevator opening and watch as they walked together towards her bedroom, Clint exiting without their bags a few moments after and walking back to Tony with an unreadable expression.

“How bad is it?” Tony quietly asked.

“Pretty mild, but they add up.” Clint nodded towards the elevator. “If we’re doing this, I don’t want to take too long. Promised I’d keep an eye on her in case of any unexpected side effects.”

“We can take it to the lounge.”

They were both quiet in the elevator and through stepping out back onto the party deck floor.

Clint settled for leaning against the back of one of the couches and crossing his arms while evenly regarding Tony before saying anything. “I’m not gonna promise you anything I can’t say.”

“Okay, do you even hear how cryptic that sounds?” Tony shook his head and crossed his own arms. “If any of what either of you have said and done about trust and being a team is real, I need you to be honest with me.”

“Ask away.”

Tony appraisingly stared at him for a second before replying. “This was something bigger than a SHIELD field test. Are you still actively working for them?”

“Nope. We’re still off duty, that doesn’t look to be changing any time soon.” Clint fixed Tony with a pointed look. “You really don’t trust us enough by now to think that we’d say something if Fury was backtracking on the Avengers?”

“There’s more to SHIELD than Fury.”

Clint shrugged. “Technically, but he’s in charge of our old positions. Whether they like it or not, everyone else accepts that.”

Genuine curiosity showed in Tony’s expression. “Because of him or you?”

“Both. We’ve proven time and time again how good we are and Fury didn’t get to where he is without good reason.” Before Tony could continue he added on, “I’m not going to elaborate too much on some of that. Just say that we were a surprise to the WSC, especially Nat.”

“But today was something for SHIELD, yeah?” Tony narrowed his eyes. “Which is the part that I keep on coming back to, why,” he unfolded his arms to gesture, “you’d seem to throw what we’re building here in everyone’s faces, especially knowing that we’re not cozied up to SHIELD like you are.”

A bitter laugh slipped out of Clint. “You want to talk about breaking trust when you haven’t even given us any in the first place?”

“I have, actually, Barton.” Tony made an irritated sound. “I invited you in, I’ve worked with you. And I get that you’re still technically sort of SHIELD employees, I get that they’ve got the resources and years of background to get an idea of when you specifically are back to acting as normal. And yeah, I don’t think SHIELD has the best intentions, but I recognized that you and Romanoff are just two people in that, and that when it came down to it you went for saving the day and people, and that even Fury’s on our side with that. You’re not carrying the secrets of the institution, you’re not even necessarily carrying Fury’s secrets.” He accusingly gestured towards Clint. “Except for now.”

“Not exactly convincing that you’ve trusted in the first place,” Clint replied.

Tony huffed. “I’ll admit that you’re not the one I’m most disappointed in, if that makes you feel better.”

Clint furrowed his brow, his eyes darkening. “How the hell can you be so fucking dense for a supposed genius?” It came out as more of a snap than he had quite intended. “Nat has been here for you time and time again and wouldn’t be here if she didn’t want to be involved, and you’re just going to turn on her like this? Like it or not she’s loyal and willing to believe in the people she trusts and yeah, she knew it was risky to agree to today with the you and the team, but we both figured you’d at least think better of us to start by now.” He shook his head with a sound that was vaguely a growl. “You don’t know her, you don’t know where she’s been, and you’re certainly not proving to be deserving of any trust she’s placed in you.”

Tony was quiet for a moment, his mouth set in a tight line before he slowly replied. “Y’know, that may be, but trust is a two-way street. Both of you should have trusted us right back and have been honest where you were going and why.” He pursed his lips. “I’m not saying I would have liked it, but back when she was Natalie and Fury showed up, wasn’t hard to tell that they’re important to each other. So I get it, he’s used to having you and you’re used to helping him.”

“We’re not gonna tell you everything about us and everything we do,” Clint drily said.

“And I’m not expecting that.” Tony took a deep breath and purposefully softened his voice. “I’m just saying that we need to communicate. I want the Avengers to work. I want to feel validated in trusting everyone on the team to fully be there for everyone else. And ultimately I don’t think this should be 100% of our lives, it’s good to have things we do outside of avenging. We don’t have to be providing detailed explanations of everything we do, but there needs to be some communication.”

Clint unfolded his arms. “Y’know, you’ve come a long way from not playing well with others.”

“I have my moments.”

“You’re still going to have to apologize to Nat for snapping at her.”

“I’m sure I will,” Tony agreed, pausing for a beat before adding on, “And sorry that I overreacted at you too. Shoulda just talked.”

“Apology mostly accepted.” As Tony raised both brows at him Clint raised one back and shrugged. “We’re being mature, not glossing over everything for the sake of niceties.”

“Mmm.” Tony nodded towards the ceiling. “If Natasha needs anything, don’t hesitate to ask or let JARVIS know if we need to get emergency medical care or something.”

“We’ll make sure she’s okay,” Clint reassuringly said.

He slipped away back to Natasha’s floor after quickly dropping off his uniform bag in his room and snagging a pair of sweats.

Somehow he was unsurprised to find her having come back to curl up on her couch in sweats of her own and a tank top, her eyes closed in spite of the only light coming in from the buildings outside as she leaned her head against the back of the couch.

She didn’t move as he silently settled onto the cushion beside her, only cracking her eyes open. “How mad is he?”

“Frustrated, but reasonable. I’m impressed at the emotional maturity he displayed, to be honest.” Clint propped his elbow up against the back of the couch and propped his head against his fist. “He expressed that he’d prefer that we communicate some vague details over sneaking around.”

“And his comments about trust?” Only years of knowing Natasha made Clint able to catch the nervous note to her voice.

“He’s hurt, but nothing he won’t or hasn’t already gotten over.” Clint hesitated for a half second before continuing. “He says he gets having a background that makes you willing to help despite it not being the easiest of circumstances and that we don’t have to be avenging 24/7. And this is me interpreting, but ultimately I think he also recognizes that when you’ve given your loyalty, you’ll stick to that unless actions shake that. So that bodes well in his book for the Avengers.”

She leaned her head over to directly look at Clint. “Just applying to me or to you too?”

“We should all be back to being on good terms.”

“That’s good,” she quietly said, again closing her eyes for a moment.

Clint smiled and shifted his leg to nudge her knee with his. “You know you’ve still got a bed for sleeping.”

“I’ll get there.”

“Moving hurt your head?”

“A little,” she admitted after a moment.

He lifted his head from his fist and started to push off the couch. “If you want to wait we can wait, but if it helps I am right here to help carry you or something.”

A corner of her mouth quirked up in a smile. “How chivalrous of you.”

“Hey,” Clint was unable to keep his smile from widening back, “you’re the one that asked me here. I’m just trying to be helpful.”

“Mmm, let me at least stand before trying to sweep me off my feet.”

He swept an arm in a gesture for her to go ahead and waited for her to push off the couch to her feet. “Just don’t be difficult. You don’t need to impress me with how tough you are.”

“Tougher than you,” she lightly quipped.

He gave a little laugh. “Yup. How’re you feeling?”

Natasha slightly lifted her arms from her sides. “You have my permission to carry me.”

“Mmkay,” Clint murmured as he stood and positioned himself to sweep her up into a princess carry before bringing her into her bedroom and gently setting her on the bed. “Anything else you need to get settled in?”

“No.” She slid under the blankets before patting the other side of the bed. “You need your sleep too.”

“Around keeping an eye on you,” he amusedly said while moving around the bed.

“Thank you again.” She waited until he was settled before adding on, “Good night, Clint.”

“Night, Tasha.”

Chapter 16

Notes:

Fair warning this is a very fluffily domestic chapter ;)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

If Steve had also been suspicious about Clint and Natasha’s absence for a day, he didn’t confront either of them and helpfully contributed a pan of brownies for comfort after hearing of her concussion, otherwise figuring that keeping his distance was best.

As much as she admittedly wanted to have Clint keep her company through the few days she was taking things easy and trying to avoid thinking, Natasha didn’t bother asking. She already knew that he would say yes in a heartbeat, but it was better for him to focus on team training with Steve and Tony over relaxing with her for most of a day.

Not that she hadn’t coerced him into getting her some knitting supplies for something to keep her hands busy, which incidentally opened up Bruce pulling out a knitting project of his own and joining her for quiet evenings in a corner of the library.

Two nights in she questioningly arched both eyebrows at him. “You are very good at this.”

He shrugged over where he was working on a blanket. “It’s relaxing.”

“Still. It’s a hidden talent, Dr. Banner,” she said, one corner of her mouth pulling up in a small, friendly smile. “Did you teach yourself or has this been a longstanding hobby?”

“A little bit of both.” He nodded towards her. “How about you?”

Natasha focused on her stitches as she replied. “Coulson taught me after another concussion, for something to help keep me occupied.”

“Ah.” Bruce awkwardly paused for a second before cautiously asking, “Is it something you only pick up after a concussion?”

“Mostly.” She held up the dishcloth she was working on with a faint smile. “As you can see, my skills haven’t progressed very far beyond the basics.”

“Nothing wrong with that.”

She nodded towards his blanket. “Still, the concussion isn’t the only reason why I’m not trying to figure out how to make a pattern like that,” she amusedly remarked.

Bruce warmly chuckled. “Just time and patience.” He inclined his head to the side in a nod. “And a little help from knitting guides.”

“Is it more of a hobby or a relaxation activity?”

“I didn’t knit much on the run, if that’s what you’re asking.” Bruce paused to look up at her. “It may not be my field of expertise, but I do have enough of a scientific background to suggest that it really is best not to try and use your brain too much for thinking right now.”

Natasha innocently shrugged. “It was a mild concussion, I’m feeling much better now.” She returned his look, her expression almost amused. “And not thinking is much more difficult than it may seem.”

“Personally, I like meditation for it.” He returned to actively knitting. “And if you’d ever want some suggestions, I’m willing to help.”

“Maybe that should be the next team activity.”

Another chuckle escaped Bruce. “That would either end pretty well or go over very badly.”

She arched an eyebrow. “It can’t go much worse than that first training.”

“From the sound of it,” he agreed.

Natasha let several beats of silence hold before casting him a discerning look. “Do you ever feel that you’re in an odd spot with the team, Bruce?”

“I’ve certainly been reflecting on it,” he lightly replied. “And we’ll see, when it comes up again. Otherwise I’m more than happy to help from the side.” He cleared his throat after a second. “How’s your dishcloth coming?”

She let the sad attempt at changing the subject pass with only a barely perceptible frown. “Only a few rows left before I finish it.”

“That’s good,” Bruce said, awkwardly trailing off at the end.

They settled back into an amicable silence before too long, Natasha opting not to push any further for the night. She could admit to herself that she was probably better suited waiting until her concussion was more officially past before stepping into subtle interrogation.

Assuming there wasn’t an answer to the Hulk question before then.

--

“Nat, I need an opinion.”

She replied without looking up at Clint from where she was starting another dishcloth from the couch in his main room. “That sounds like it’ll involve thinking.”

He sighed and scrunched his nose up in a frown at her. “Yeah yeah, you don’t love that we’ve all been looking out for you, I get it. But seriously, opinion please?”

“On what?” she asked while glancing up towards where he was looking over the two cookbooks he owned at the kitchen counter.

“Dinner. It’s-.”

“You were just talking last night about how you were in the mood for sweet and sour.”

“Yeah, but Darcy’s got a pineapple allergy. I’m not going to be the person who presents something she can’t eat at her first communal dinner here.”

“Just how closely were you keeping an eye on Dr. Foster and Miss Lewis with Project PEGASUS?” Natasha teasingly asked, breaking into a smirk as Clint sighed and shook his head at her.

“You know I do the homework.” He brought the cookbooks over to rest against the back of the couch. “Back to business, maybe I should have given myself a few more hours but I think we’ll be good. Anything you’re in the mood for?”

“If you just need to avoid pineapple, a stir fry would be easy to do in bulk but similar enough.”

Clint nodded. “If I go shopping for a few more vegetables, do you want to come?”

She set the dishcloth in progress down beside her with a halfhearted eye roll. “After days of being stuck in here? Of course I do.”

“You’ve also been invested in those dishcloths, so I thought I’d check,” he said with a smile.

“You wouldn’t have gotten purple yarn if you didn’t want one.”

“New place, new concussion dishcloth. Depending on how long you stick to it might even get another scarf.” Clint shrugged, his smile sticking. “It works.”

Natasha smiled back. “You still have time to pick up an injury hobby too.”

They walked to the elevator nearly in sync. “I mean, I’m not going to plan on it, but situationally I’d be willing to take some suggestions…”

Shopping was a quick endeavor after double checking the amount of vegetables on hand in the communal kitchen, and on return they each started chopping assorted ingredients in comfortable silence.

When almost everything was prepped and the rice was well on its way, Clint started cooking in the largest available wok, gentle sizzling filling in as background noise as he stirred and Natasha finished the last of the prep before beginning to warm up some frozen spring rolls and crab rangoons.

Steve and Tony peeked in towards the end of the cooking process, the latter knocking twice against the countertop by the entrance. “Just to be clear, what’re we talking for an ETA, Barton?”

“Just a few more minutes.” He glanced up from stirring to look at them. “Wouldn’t complain about some help getting the table and something to drink ready though.”

“Good, since everyone else is getting ready to sit down. And we’ve got water jugs and cups already pulled out.”

Clint nodded. “Awesome, thanks.”

“Before you go, take this.” Natasha brought a platter of spring rolls and a platter of crab rangoons over and handed the spring rolls to Steve. “Thank you.”

“Not a problem.”

She cast Tony a faint smirk. “Will you complain if I hand you something too?”

“Just this once I will graciously accept whatever you give me, Romanoff,” he replied with a broad smile.

With their respective platters in hand, Tony and Steve left and Natasha opted to look at the stir fry over Clint’s shoulder. “Did you want a bowl for that or are you keeping it in the wok?”

“Eh, I’m thinking it’ll be easier to maybe stick as is.” He reached over to turn the heat down and started to ease the wok off the burner. “Oh, you mind snagging the soy sauce?”

Natasha picked it up from the counter with a partial teasing smile. “Already ahead of you.”

Bruce showed up at the dining room the same time as they did and helpfully held the door. “Anything else you need some help with?”

“Nope, that should be everything, but thanks.” Clint loudly cleared his throat. “Hot wok coming through!”

Tony stepped back to give him some extra space from where he and Steve were chatting with Pepper, Jane, and Darcy by the table.

“You are somehow a mind reader for exactly what I was in the mood for,” Darcy lightly said with a laugh as Clint settled the wok on a couple trivets in the center of the table.

He shrugged as he stepped back. “I wish I could take credit, but the idea is Nat’s. No mind reading here.”

“Then thank you Natasha,” Darcy brightly said as everyone started to take a seat.

With dinner in swing, the general conversation eventually made its way from Jane giving a summary of her recent research (with added commentary from Darcy) to talking about the more amusing moments in the short span of Avengers history.

“Oh,” Clint laughed as he leaned back in his chair, responding to a comment from Darcy, “you should see Steve when Mario Kart comes out now. He’s competitive as hell and I swear has gotta be practicing on his own time.”

Steve shrugged with an open smile. “I’m getting the hang of it.”

“Just wait until Rhodey’s back with the time to play video games,” Tony added with a laugh of his own. “Smash Bros might be a different story, but Mario Kart just likes him.”

Her eyes alight, Darcy leaned forward against the table. “Please tell me video game nights are an actual thing here.”

“Not on a schedule, but kinda.” Clint tentatively leaned his chair onto the back legs after resting one hand against the back of Natasha’s to steady him. “More when it works.”

“Just Mario Kart?” Jane asked before sipping at her water.

“As of yet.” Clint eyed Tony. “Can’t say I’ve got a lot of Smash Bros experience under my belt though, that could be interesting to try.”

Natasha and Pepper exchanged a knowing side look as Tony clapped his hands together. “No one’s got any super pressing business after this, right?”

“I have a company to run,” Pepper teased.

Tony nodded. “And a commitment to maintaining a work-life balance.” He looked at Bruce and Jane. “I know it’s tempting to put a night in at the lab but I promise it’ll be entertaining.”

Bruce shrugged. “I call Yoshi.”

Steve perked up. “So these are the Mario characters?”

“Some of them,” Tony said with a hand wave. “Every fighter is from a Nintendo franchise. I can’t give detailed histories, but I can give a little bit of description for each as we see them.”

“Do we have to play?” Natasha asked with a perfectly arched eyebrow.

Clint settled back onto the four legs of his chair with an amused snort. “Hey, like you didn’t thrash everyone in one round at Woo’s birthday years ago.” He followed with a grin in her direction in preemptive response to her resisted affectionate eye roll.

Tony suspiciously narrowed his eyes but kept his tone light. “Okay, seriously, how many video games did you play at SHIELD?”

“Only Mario Kart and Smash, and only on rare occasions. Really.”

“Mmm, there was that dancing game once,” Natasha added on with a side nod.

“Oh yeah, that was fun. You really should consider getting that one, Tony.”

Darcy warmly laughed. “This is the best day ever.”

Notes:

(Yes, my Nintendo bias is showing. But in fairness Mario Kart and Smash Bros are some of the best lighthearted multiplayer games I know, so I like to think it makes sense, haha.)

Chapter 17

Notes:

I definitely owe some inspiration to Earth's Mightiest Heroes for this chapter (speaking of: what a fantastic show, if you're not familiar with it I wholeheartedly recommend it!)

Chapter Text

Natasha, Clint, and Steve were chatting with Bruce over the curry he had volunteered for lunch when the communicator Tony had recently test installed in all their security badges simultaneously went off.

With an immediate frown, Clint was the first to pull his out and activate the hologram display. “Uh, hey?”

Tony’s face and shoulders quickly shaped into view, his expression grimly set. “Uh, hey guys, not a lot of time for details, but we’ve got an Avengers shaped problem on the way down here and I’m suitless. JARVIS will get you the location but we need some help.” He started to reach to turn off the communicator on his end before Pepper poked her head in from the side, her own expression tense.

“They’re strong and destructive, be careful!” As she finished she looked at something behind her and appeared to duck her head while prompting Tony down at the shoulder.

“Yes, and bring me a suit!” he added on in a cautious whisper before stopping the communication.

Natasha and Clint had already pushed back from the table and were starting for the closest elevator with access to their floors. “JARVIS,” she started to ask, “are they still at the restaurant?”

The hour was supposed to be a lunch date for Tony and Pepper, until it had clearly gone sideways.

In hindsight, Natasha was glad she had directly suggested to Tony what restaurant they should go to. One less thing to ask about in the moment.

“They are currently in the kitchen there, but due to the attack presently underway may have to move soon.”

Steve cleared his throat and adopted his best leader voice. “We need a plan, not just everyone running a separate direction.”

Clint and Natasha stopped and angled back towards him, almost perfectly in sync. “We’re suiting and gearing up, wheels out ASAP. Nat’s driving.”

“I’ll grab Tony’s suit,” Bruce said, followed with a small nod in Steve’s direction as he cast him a questioning look. “I’ll be fine.”

Natasha took a step towards the elevator. “The longest I’ll wait in the garage is eight minutes.”

“Let’s move, Avengers,” Steve said while also heading towards the elevator.

Everyone changed and grabbed their appropriate items as quickly as possible before leaving in Natasha’s car.

“What are you going to do about traffic?” Bruce asked from the backseat as they left the garage, a briefcase sized Iron Man suit carrier on his lap.

Natasha opened the sun roof with the press of a button. “If we run into trouble, Captain America’s going to help.”

As it was, the streets were already emptier than usual and she was speeding along, weaving in and out of what traffic there was and ignoring the few honks she got.

Steve cast Bruce a discerning look as he tensed up in his seat. “How are you feeling, Dr. Banner?”

“Don’t worry about the Other Guy,” he reassured, trying to keep his voice as even as possible, “I’m just not a fan of street racing.”

Natasha and Clint had both eyed him in the rearview mirror, but opted not to say anything.

About three blocks away from the restaurant they saw a line of police cars blocking the street ahead beyond some pieces of debris and rubble strewn across the road, prompting Natasha to only drive another block before pulling over to the side and parking.

“Bruce, you try and contact Tony,” she ordered while unbuckling. “You should be safe staying here.”

“Who’s taking the suit?”

“I can.” Clint hopped out of the passenger side and quickly came around to grab the case from Bruce with a little “Thank you” before starting in a jog towards the police barricade behind Steve and Natasha.

They did their best to try and not let anyone get too good a look at their faces, both Clint and Natasha having added sunglasses to their look to help, and let Steve tackle the talking for getting them past the barricade.

It certainly didn’t hurt his argument as a whole table came flying out of the front of the restaurant and shattered against the building across the street from the force.

“Don’t accidentally shoot us!” Clint couldn’t resist telling the officers as they ran past.

“Banner,” Steve started to say over the comms, “any updates from Stark?”

“He and Pepper left the restaurant through the back with the staff and other customers as the attackers still haven’t been taken down and were starting into the restaurant. Uh, they’re big and stronger than normal, maybe enhanced, sounds like they’re looking for him.”

After a beat of silence Clint remarked, “Y’know, maybe you should go in first, Captain. In case if they throw another table at us.”

“Any update on who’s meeting who for the suit?” Natasha asked Bruce while Steve nodded back to Clint and defensively raised his shield while jogging to the other side of the street.

“Uh, Tony and Pepper are disagreeing on that point.”

“Well that’s not surprising,” Clint muttered to Natasha as Steve ran into the restaurant.

Inside, he rammed the shield into someone’s back and used his own knee to hit the back of theirs, sending them stumbling forward with only a short exclamation of surprise.

At the sound, a muscular man with a large crowbar in hand turned from where he was heading towards the kitchen and broke into a delighted smile. “Captain America!” He held out both arms and darkly laughed. “Oh, I was hoping you’d come. Are the other so-called Avengers with you?”

Natasha and Clint had come around to look inside the restaurant but hesitated on going in as they noticed someone to the left of Steve with what appeared to be a slightly smaller version of a wrecking ball in hand.

“Captain,” she said into the comms, “we’re better off getting them outside.”

“Copy that,” he murmured before responding to crowbar guy, glancing between him and the two other men to his right and left. “So you came looking for a fight?”

The man tapped his crowbar against the side of his leg. “I just hope for all the stories, you put up something worthwhile.”

Steve immediately leapt backwards as wrecking ball guy started to swing with a grunt, the wrecking ball impacting the floor a few feet in front of him moments of later.

“Tell Tony if he’s coming to hurry up,” Natasha tersely commented into the comms while she and Clint strategically backed up.

He backtracked halfway to the barricade and set the case down at his feet before pulling out his bow and drawing an arrow in a fluid movement, aiming towards the restaurant’s entrance. “I’ve got a smoke and flash tip loaded.”

Steve had positioned himself midway in the street outside the restaurant, the shield held at the ready. “They’re coming out.”

Inside, he could see the guy he had toppled pulling himself back up to his feet and wrecking ball guy dislodging the ball from the floor as all four men proceeded towards the doorway.

Natasha had also slightly backtracked, sticking at more of a diagonal than Clint and aiming her gun towards what she predicted would be about chest height for anyone stepping out of the restaurant. “Second person, Hawkeye.”

He didn’t bother with a verbal response, only waiting a matter of seconds before wrecking ball guy and the one Steve had knocked down confidently walked out.

The arrow landed at the second man’s feet and immediately released billows of smoke and several successive bright flashes of light.

Wrecking ball guy stumbled out of the smoke with a cough, his eyes wildly searching for someone else before catching sight of Natasha. He smirked and started walking towards her while swinging the wrecking ball in a circle above his head.

She fired a warning shot that grazed his bicep on the arm that wasn’t holding the ball up, earning a pained sound lined with irritation and a momentary pause in wrecking ball guy’s movement before he continued walking. “Shit.”

The second man had also stumbled out of the smoke coughing and furiously blinking in between screwing their eyes shut. He fell to his hands and knees and tried to vigorously shake his head.

If someone else would have been right there to see him as well, Clint might have made an Etch-a-Sketch comment. Instead, he had a mildly explosive (not enough to cause particularly serious damage, enough to hopefully stop someone) arrow nocked and shot it at the feet of crowbar guy as he hurried out of the smoke, triggering it just before the ground.

Crowbar guy covered his face with one arm and did stop for a moment before lowering his arm and cast Clint a devilish smile. “Explodin’ arrows, huh, Cupid?” he called over.

Given the seeming indifference, Clint already had another of the same arrowheads aimed and loosed at crowbar guy’s chest.

He grunted at the impact and as some of his clothing was singed, but followed up with threateningly tapping the crowbar against the palm of one hand. “You’re gonna be dead meat just waitin’ to be tenderized, buddy!”

“Big talk for someone all the way over there!” Clint called back after a second while chancing a glance over to Natasha before returning his focus to crowbar guy’s approach.

She had easily avoided wrecking ball guy trying to throw the ball at her, but as he added more length to his swing she had met Steve halfway between them to utilize the cover of his shield.

Steve fell to a steadying knee as he took a hit from the wrecking ball to the shield, the resulting sound reverberating off the surrounding buildings.

“Everyone still okay?” Bruce asked over the comms, his voice filled with concern.

“Just having fun – hey!” Clint stepped to the side as the fourth man, wearing a domed helmet, charged straight at him from beside crowbar guy from about ten feet away.

Helmet guy veered with him and tackled Clint to the street, knocking him breathless with a groan and his sunglasses to the side.

He cringed as a bullet whizzed over helmet guy’s head. “Don’t shoot!” he yelled to the officers while working a hand up to jam his palm under the general area of helmet guy’s chin while simultaneously jerking a knee up and trying to shove helmet guy off of him with his other arm.

It worked, but Clint was only able to start to scramble back to his feet before crowbar guy was bearing down on him.

Clint defensively raised his bow to block the swing of the crowbar, waiting to take the impact before kicking at crowbar guy’s knee.

He yelped as his leg crumpled underneath him with a sickening crack and tried to take another swing at Clint with the crowbar on his way down, again blocked with the bow.

Before Clint could again try to get fully back onto his feet, an arm locked around his neck from behind and yanked him down, the man’s grip tightening with the better angle.

“Small problem,” Clint croaked while attempting to garner leverage against the arm.

A few seconds later a large form passed overhead and the man’s grip on him started to loosen, his hold becoming no more than a hug as the Hulk roared mere feet away.

The man Clint had disoriented with the smoke and flash arrow, his eyes as wide as they could be, sat with both hands defensively held up and cowered.

Wrecking ball guy slowed his spinning to gawk at Hulk, the ball easily again blocked with Steve’s shield.

Hulk gave another roar and grabbed the wrecking ball after it bounced off the shield, smashing it between his hands with a growl, his teeth bared.

Clint had maneuvered an elbow up to hit the man holding him, further prompting his arm away before taking a deep breath and pulling himself up into a sitting position. “Thanks buddy, you’ve got great timing!” he called to the Hulk.

The comment elicited Hulk to angle towards him with another growl, hands held back in fists.

“Woah,” Steve started to say as he slightly lowered his shield and held out a hand towards Hulk, “it’s okay. Everyone’s okay. You did great.”

As wrecking ball guy gulped and seemed to start to make a tentative move against Hulk, Natasha shot him high in the shoulder to send him stumbling back with a yelp of pain before coming over to Clint, cautiously regarding Hulk out of the corner of her eyes.

He didn’t seem directly inclined to start any further smashing or general attacking for the moment, but they didn’t know just how partially in control Bruce was.

“You okay?” she asked Clint in a low murmur after helping him back to his feet.

“I think so.” He frowned at where crowbar guy was laying on the ground, his face drawn as he tried to push himself up with one good leg. “Think my bow’s gonna need some TLC after this though.” For good measure he yanked the crowbar away and knocked the man’s hand away as he tried to take it back. “Play nice or he,” Clint pointed with the crowbar to Hulk, “gets to do a little smashing.”

Hulk broke into a threatening grin with an amused huff and took a step closer.

Crowbar guy flinched and held up both hands in surrender.

After a few moments the officers by the barricade finally started to move, coming forward to start to handcuff the four men who had been attacking.

Clint gave the crowbar to an officer who came up with a large plastic evidence bag as Natasha recollected the case with the Iron Man suit, sticking to the side to speak into the comms.

“We don’t have a plan for the Hulk.”

“Last time he just calmed down eventually,” Clint said as he stepped away from the officers, heading towards Natasha. “Hopefully he’ll do it again?”

Steve unnecessarily held a hand up to the ear he had his communicator in. “I’ll stick with Hulk until then, and if he doesn’t change back I’ll at least make sure we get him to the Tower before we bother with Plan B. Hawkeye, Widow, for now get the Iron Man suit back to the Tower.”

“On it.”

As they slipped away Clint gave a parting wave in Steve’s direction before falling in step with Natasha.

Past the barricade, they ran into a concerned Tony and Pepper who had just reached the corner of the street.

“Oh my god, what happened?” Pepper hurriedly asked, her brow furrowed as she glanced between Clint and Natasha before taking in more of the surroundings.

Tony’s eyes lit up at the sight of the case, and he almost started to reach for it before looking over their shoulders and blinking twice as his jaw dropped. “Holy shit. He’s actually doing it.” His expression morphed into a delighted smile. “Yes!”

“This may be a one-off,” Natasha pointedly said.

“We’ll see,” Tony replied without taking his eyes off Hulk.

Clint loudly cleared his throat. “Rogers volunteered to stick with Hulk and talk with the police, but if you don’t want to we’ve got two available seats in Nat’s car.”

“I feel like we need to work on an alternative response in case if traffic is impassable somewhere sometime,” Tony absentmindedly said. “I’ll work on that. But, uh,” he looked at Pepper with a clear question, “we should probably stick and talk to them?”

She nodded. “We should probably give statements.”

“I assume you’re not going to need the suit?” Natasha asked, holding the case up as she spoke.

“No,” Tony agreed, “not this time. But thanks.”

“We’ll be at the Tower unless if we hear a request otherwise.”

“Thank you!” Pepper called after Clint and Natasha as they split to head back for her car.

He waited until they were settled in the front seats before taking out his comm and heavily sighing. “That got a little too close to going bad for comfort.”

“Definitely enhanced.”

They stared at each other for a second, both their expressions thoughtful.

Clint shrugged. “I think we’re in a good position to at least bring it up. SHIELD’s got the better resources for looking into it.”

“I’m sure we’ll discuss today later.” Natasha was about to pull back onto the street before she put the car back into park and looked at Clint. “You need a concussion check.”

“I’m pretty sure I don’t have one.”

She huffed. “I thought we agreed that neither of us get to say that. Now answer honestly…”

--

It was a solid hour before Tony and Pepper had made it back to the Tower, an hour and a half before Steve and Hulk returned, the latter quickly de-Hulking once in the garage after Tony had brought a change of clothes.

All Avengers met in the war room, Clint opting to forgo the quip he had thought out about the name for the moment.

“They called themselves the Wrecking Crew,” Steve informed from where he sat, one arm on the table. “They figured a hopeful win against the Avengers would get them some attention and ability to scare plenty of folks in town into bending to their wishes.”

“Well they got their fight,” Clint drily said.

Tony looked at Bruce. “And not a small one, for you to go green.”

He attempted a casual shrug and glanced down. “It sounded like everyone was having some trouble. I was worried, so I stepped in.”

“I don’t think any of us are going to feel bad to admit that you significantly helped save the day.” Clint was leaning against the table with clasped hands. “They were a little more intense than we were entirely expecting for walking in blind.”

Natasha added on a nod paired with a frown. “I think it would be useful to try and find out where they came from. The one was wielding a veritable wrecking ball, and I suspect that has to do with something more intensive than everyday steroids.”

Tony gave a sigh. “Unfortunately that’s not going to be easy to track down.”

“We don’t have the resources,” she agreed with another small nod, “but if everyone is willing to be communicative and reach out, SHIELD does.”

Everyone else was silent for a moment before Bruce cleared his throat. “There was something definitely enhanced going on with the Wrecking Crew. If we can get the help to figure that out, it certainly can’t hurt.”

“I agree,” Steve said while evenly looking at Tony.

He met his look with raised eyebrows. “Don’t be too surprised that I don’t disagree. We can ask for a little help investigating. It’s separate from directly working with SHIELD.” Tony focused on Clint and Natasha. “Any input on the best person to contact?”

Her response was almost immediate. “We can give Deputy Director Hill a call, appraise her of the situation and see what she suggests from there.”

Clint cleared his throat. “Did anyone hear what the initial plans post-arrest were for the members of the Wrecking Crew?”

“Dunno, but the police are aware that they’re dealing with some super strength with them.”

“They’re not actually equipped for handling that,” Clint derisively remarked.

Natasha inclined her head towards him in a little nod. “They’re still going to try regardless.”

Steve’s brow was set in a deep concerned furrow. “Would calling in SHIELD help with some of the risk?”

“SHIELD’s admittedly got the resources to potentially get them to somewhere more secure with their abilities,” Bruce said with a tense note, nodding at the same time as Clint. “And we don’t know whether they’ll try to stage another attack if they get out or what damage they could decide to do. We’ll want transparency from SHIELD for what they would do with the Wrecking Crew, but we’re potentially putting more people’s lives at risk if we expect the police to meaningfully restrain them.”

“So basically we’re just more agreed that calling SHIELD is a solid choice right now.” Tony openly gestured at Natasha. “I assume you’ve got an easy means of calling Deputy Director Hill?”

“I’ll reach out.”

Chapter 18

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

In the wake of the Wrecking Crew incident, Bruce had been coaxed into participating in more of the team training exercises. He wasn’t comfortable turning into the Hulk for them, but contently practiced and learned some new tricks for hand to hand combat despite Tony’s attempts at convincing for a Hulk appearance.

Clint slowly moved through a practice sequence with him beside where Natasha and Steve were working with Tony.

It was almost akin to working with a batch of fresh Operations Academy recruits on the handful of occasions Coulson had gotten him and/or Natasha to agree to over the years, giving their own perspective on what needed improvement and gauging the recruits’ existing abilities.

Tony had even stopped his halfhearted grumblings about how much the sparring was actually going to be useful for him and was getting some decided approval regarding his progress from Natasha.

Bruce took a half step backward while holding his forearm up to divert a mock hit from Clint, who glanced down at his footing.

“You’re gonna want that left heel turned out a little more, make your stance more solid.”

“Right.” Bruce shifted the position of his foot before starting to angle and move Clint’s arm further to the side as he stepped forward with his right foot. “And then… this?” He slowly brought his hand up to aim a mock hit at Clint’s side.

“Yep, maybe even try it with a little more speed just to get a better feel.”

Bruce repeated the motion slightly faster before repeating the whole routine, intently focused on correctly accomplishing each motion.

Tony whistled from the side as he ran through it at a comfortable speed. “Look at that, you’re a natural.”

“Hardly,” Bruce replied after an awkward laugh. “Just patient.”

“And it’s paying off.” Clint wryly grinned. “And hey, you remember how to hold your wrist better than Tony is.”

“I’m standing right here, Barton.”

“Kinda the point.”

Tony rolled his eyes. “Natasha, has he always been like this?”

She broke into a small smirk and shrugged. “As long as I’ve known him. You just learn to live with it.”

“It’s easier if you admit that I’m actually quite charming and you’ve become very fond of me,” Clint said with a wink in Tony’s direction.

“Speaking as an only child, I imagine you would have made an exciting sibling with this sort of attitude.”

With his light tone, Tony missed the sad note that briefly flashed across Clint’s expression and the way Natasha’s gaze immediately snapped to him, a touch of concern in her eyes.

Bruce glanced at his watch and made a small thoughtful sound after watching Clint with a barely perceptible frown for a second. “I should probably be done, I’ve got some data to collect.”

“Can a curious mind peek over your shoulder at the results as you do?” Tony eagerly asked.

“I wouldn’t mind another set of eyes,” Bruce said with a nod.

“We did some good work today.” Steve started to walk off the training mats. “Everyone enjoy the rest of your day.”

They all echoed the sentiment before Natasha stepped up to Clint. “Let’s go a round.”

He nodded and defensively squared up after deeply inhaling, keeping his eyes trained on her for any indications of her first movement.

She faked a step to the side to get him to react, giving her an opening to aim a monitored blow for his side. He swept his arm in a motion to block her before prompting a rhythmic back and forth of attempting and parrying measured hits.

In hindsight he should have known where she was going with the move as she got a hold of his forearm and pushed him while simultaneously hooking her ankle around the back of his leg and sweeping it back, but she still caught him by surprise with it anyhow.

At the very least, it was definitely one of his best falls.

Before he could start to attempt to buck Natasha off of him, she decided to forgo a hold and instead rolled to lay beside him. “What are you thinking about with Barney?” Clear concern was written across her expression.

He wasn’t surprised that she had waited until everyone else was definitely gone before bringing it up, and that she had opted not to ask a question he could give a quippy answer for first.

They had years of experience in learning the other’s defensive tactics, after all.

Clint attempted a shrug with the shoulder nearest her and pursed his lips. “Nothing terribly miserable, I promise, just… I have been thinking a little about him, wondering how he’s doing. Hoping he’s still okay.” He shook his head with a little rueful laugh. “Imagining what he’d say after hearing that his kid brother is living with Captain America and doing this whole Avengers thing.”

“What he’d say to his grown up brother?” she softly added on.

He stared at the ceiling even as she brushed her hand against his. “Do you think I should try to find him?”

Natasha turned onto her side, resting one hand under her head while she looped her fingers through his with the other, giving a comforting squeeze. “Do you think it would help?”

“I dunno.”

They laid in silence for several long moments, Clint continuing to stare at the ceiling and Natasha watching the even rise and fall of his chest.

She finally again squeezed his hand, twice in quick succession. “Do you want some time alone?” she asked in a murmur.

Clint turned his head to look at her. “If you’ve got something you need to do, I’ll be fine. Otherwise, I’m open to company while I binge some bad television.”

She scrunched her nose up in disappointment. “Or we can think of something actually good to watch.”

“Are we really becoming TV critics now?” he lightly asked, a smile momentarily pulling up the corners of his mouth.

Natasha started to push herself into a sitting position, pulling Clint up with her. “We have free time to actually enjoy some TV now.” She let go of his hand to stand. “I’ll meet you in your living room, but I’ll change and grab my yarn first.”

His eyes went bright with curiosity. “Is this a new knitting project in the works?”

“I looked up a guide for a scarf design I want to try.”

“Now I really need a crafty hobby too,” Clint commented with a laugh as they snagged their respective water bottles from the side and started to head for the elevator.

“You may not borrow any of my yarn.” She cast him a sharp side look of warning to accentuate the point.

He chuckled. “I’m okay with that.”

--

“Hey,” Clint brightly said as he caught Tony in the hall outside the communal kitchen, “quick question for you.”

“Uh, sure.” Tony curiously frowned at him with an arched eyebrow. “Good or bad?”

Clint bounced once on his heels. “Hopefully good. I was wondering if it’d be possible to get access to a space for any mechanical tinkering. Don’t want to intrude on your space, but I’ve got a few things I’d like to potentially work on.”

“Here, let’s walk.” Tony gestured down the hall before continuing. “What are you thinking of needing and what sort of space? And are you experienced with whatever you’re thinking of tinkering with?”

“Working on some arrowhead upkeep and maybe developing some new ideas.” Clint shrugged. “I still could technically go to SHIELD to tinker and work with the lab techs, but it’d be nice if we could work out something here. And I’m good with basic tools, basic wiring. Shouldn’t need anything too fancy, and I’ve already got most of my basics.”

Tony nodded. “Get me a list, and we’ll get it. I’ll show you a space I’m thinking of, you tell me if it works for you?”

“Thanks for being flexible.”

“So you work on developing some of your own arrowheads, huh?” Tony asked after a couple moments.

“Some of ‘em.” Clint gave another shrug with a little chuckle. “I’m the one that uses them, knows what sort of situations I get into, what could be useful. Some of the fancier ideas I’d ask if it was possible first and try to bribe the techs into making time for my project if they agreed they had an idea for the how.”

“Do you take suggestions?”

“Depends.”

Tony smirked and clapped a hand on his shoulder. “Since y’know, putting our heads together I’m sure we could come up with some fun ones, if not at least some fun improvements on the ones you already have.”

“We can talk,” Clint said with a nod.

“How do you feel about adding an inner targeting system?” Tony asked after another moment.

Clint stopped mid-step with a snort. “The only targeting system I need is up here.” He tapped his finger a couple times to his temple. “I don’t miss, and that’s all from me. No help needed.” After a beat he added on, “But I’d be willing to talk about some ideas for a better laser sight.”

“Let’s take a closer look at what you’ve got then.”

Tony showed Clint to a quickly approved workbench space just inside one of his labs after a quick stop to introduce him to DUM-E and left him to get set up with his on hand supplies before starting a brainstorming session over his bow and arrows.

Clint had neatly lined up his arrowheads on the workbench surface and handed Tony a prototype sonic arrowhead. “There’s been some decent progress on getting that tech light enough for accurate shooting and packing a good enough punch to be worthwhile, but we’re not quite there yet.”

“I’ll take a look, see what we’re working with.” Tony started peering at the open end of the arrowhead before continuing. “And I know you’re set on not needing help for targeting, but hear me out for one idea: boomerang arrow.”

Clint blinked before slowly breaking into a grin. “Alright, you tentatively have my attention.”

--

“Okay, serious input only: magnifying glass arrowhead.”

Natasha cast Clint an incredulous look. “There is no reason why you would need that as an arrowhead instead of just carrying a magnifying glass.”

He pointed his pen at her. “False. Needing to get a magnifying glass to someone at a distance.”

She sighed and rolled her eyes. “Fine, is that a consistently occurring situation that actually warrants creating a whole arrowhead for, beyond the technical considerations for a magnifying glass of an actually useful size?”

“Nah, you’re right. It’s a little out of reach.” He crossed the idea off on his notepad. “Good news is I might finally be getting a workable sonic arrow, thanks to Tony. You should reach out about your grapple line, see if he’s got an idea for making it fit in a Bite tube.”

“I don’t know that I’m ready to invite him to mess with the Bites,” she said after a moment of consideration.

Clint nodded. “Fair enough.” He tapped next to another idea on his notepad. “I keep on debating whether to talk to him about making more of the gas carrying arrowheads. I only pack them situationally as is and don’t know if they’ll be relevant any time soon, but I’m running low.”

She shrugged. “I would get more.”

“And opinion on an arrow taking inspiration from the shock one but getting more power to be an EMP?”

“Might have to sign an agreement that you won’t shoot Tony with it,” she deadpanned.

Clint chuckled with a little head shake. “Yeah, but if we need it he’s not really going to get a choice in the matter.” He put a checkmark on the notepad before setting it in his lap. “I am open to any other suggestions, since Tony seems a little more keen on working on multiple than the techs ever were.”

Natasha thoughtfully cocked her head to the side for a moment before nodding towards the notepad. “Tranquilizer arrowhead, tested to successfully deploy only after making contact.”

“That is actually a really good idea,” Clint remarked as he wrote it down.

She smiled as she focused back on her scarf. “Historically, I have contributed to plenty of arrow ideas. Both in theory and creation.”

“That’s for sure.” He slouched back into the cushions with a satisfied exhale. “Y’know, I am so damn lucky.”

“That I continue to listen to your variety of arrow ideas regardless of how ridiculous they can be? I agree.”

Clint warmly smiled. “I mean, yeah, but also just having you to bounce ideas off of in general, overall as a partner, being in a spot with someone like Tony where it’s not even weird to reach out and ask if he can help me work on ideas, hell, this whole team…” His smile widened into a grin as Natasha supportively nudged his calf with her foot. “I am so damn lucky.”

Notes:

Inspiration for the magnifying glass arrow came from seeing Bow pull one out in She-Ra and the Princesses of Power and then deciding that I really needed to at least jokingly incorporate that in something for Clint :)

Chapter 19

Notes:

This is definitely more of an Avengers focused chapter, but there's some important business to cover :)

Chapter Text

Per Tony’s request, Happy had escorted Maria, dressed in a fitted suit rather than her SHIELD uniform, directly to the assembled team in the war room.

She scanned over everyone as she walked in, her expression holding even as she catalogued positions around the table and body language.

Clint and Natasha were side by side to the right and cast her small nods of greeting. Tony sat to Clint’s left and regarded her with evident questioning curiosity. Beside him, Bruce politely smiled before his gaze fell back to the table. Steve was also a picture of polite greeting, albeit while holding a not so subtle note of tension in his bearing.

“Thank you, Mr. Hogan,” Maria remarked over her shoulder as he closed the door behind her without taking her eyes off the team. “I appreciate the willingness for you all to make time for my visit.”

“Curiosity why you set up a meeting in the first place is definitely convincing for making some availability,” Tony offhandedly said. “Which brings me to asking why we’ve got you physically here instead of just on the phone with Natasha.”

“The phone is not preferred for relaying sensitive information.” Maria slightly narrowed her eyes at Tony before briefly shifting her focus to everyone else. “I hope this is unnecessary to add, but what I tell you is not to be discussed with anyone, beside Director Fury, outside this room, and I would hope you would exhibit appropriate caution in having those discussions.”

Steve seriously nodded back. “Understood.”

Maria settled in the available seat and pulled a few manila folders out of her bag, pressing them forward in a stack onto the table. “SHIELD intel gathering has discovered the seeming source of the Wrecking Crew’s enhanced capabilities.” She continued as Clint distributed the folders. “Some of the details are still only cursory, but it’s a start.”

Tony leaned slightly over into Bruce’s space to read the contents of the folder as he flipped it open after pulling out his glasses. “Cursory, but important enough to be sensitive information.”

“Never bodes well,” Clint quietly commented, eliciting a small nod from Natasha.

Steve glanced at him before focusing back to the report.

“Part of this is already redacted,” Tony noted before openly frowning at Maria.

A barely perceptible note of irritation crossed her expression. “Sensitive information, if you’ll let me explain.” She pointedly paused for a second before continuing. “The members of the Wrecking Crew met in prison and agreed to all participate in an experimental steroid study that seems to have been trying to replicate aspects of the Super Soldier Serum used on Captain Rogers. As I indicated, this is still an ongoing investigation, but a connection has been found with the Roxxon Corporation and the study.”

Steve frowned. “They work in oil, don’t they?”

Clint nodded. “Among many things. Roxxon’s an ever-growing conglomerate looking to be involved in just about anything you can think of.”

“They’re not too fond of SI and our increasingly stand out green energy initiatives,” Tony drily said. “Just ask Pepper sometime about the response their CEO tried to give her off the record about our recycling initiative. They’re far from thrilled.”

Maria loudly cleared her throat. “We do not know what level of the Roxxon structure was involved in these experiments or if they are aware of the arguable level of success with the members of the Wrecking Crew. A lead is being investigated, and we can keep you apprised of the resulting intel once there is something to give.”

“I know that you may only be comfortable saying so much,” Bruce started to ask, “but is there something inherently suspicious about Roxxon’s involvement? Or is it just the funding connection?”

Natasha and Clint exchanged a communicative side look with each other before focusing back to Maria while Bruce spoke.

She carefully picked her words. “Suffice it to say there has been adequate reason for parts of the Roxxon Corporation to come under scrutiny over time.”

“Is there any way we can hear some of the why?” Steve asked as he flipped over one of the pages inside the folder to glance over the backside.

“Providing you with a history can be discussed.” Maria gestured towards Steve’s folder. “More importantly for the moment, SHIELD is in the midst of tracking down the doctor behind the prison study.”

Tony whistled while everyone else’s brow slightly furrowed. “So not only were they kinda successful results of trying to replicate Steve, but the person behind it is missing?”

“As it would seem,” Maria calmly said. “The study seems to have occurred over the course of a year, at the end of which the members of the Wrecking Crew were individually released within the span of a few months. The last any of them were aware of the doctor was a month after the end of the year.”

“And they did not realize their abilities in the span of the year?” Natasha asked.

“The only effects they described during the study are typical of standard steroids. They only noticed their enhanced capabilities during the Chitauri attack while saving themselves from being trapped under some wreckage.”

Clint hummed a thoughtful noise. “Something like the longer the exposure, the better the results then.”

Steve’s face was set in a frown, his jaw clenched. “How did the doctor know where to start to try to replicate… me in the first place? Especially at this level of success?”

“Ever since shortly after you went into the ice, scientists have tried to replicate or been motivated to try to replicate the treatment given to you,” Bruce explained as he took off his glasses, his gaze focused on Steve. “People have tried every reasonable discipline and beyond, and there’s an arguable theory for the general how that most anyone trying to replicate you today is at least familiar with.”

He slowly nodded. “Is this a commonly researched topic?”

“Only privately.” Bruce paused. “At least as far as I last was aware, but I have been out of some of the biological research circles for a while.”

“SHIELD isn’t aware of any current public or particularly large replication projects,” Maria added on. “The Wrecking Crew’s study is the most significant in at least a couple years.”

“Is that also something I could learn more about? These years of experiments based on me?” Steve asked while resting one hand flat against the table by the folder.

Maria subtly softened her gaze. “I’ll see what I can gather for you, Captain.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” he gratefully replied before his expression slipped back into clouded concern.

Everyone was silent for a moment before Tony sighed and leaned against the table. “Backing up a few steps, other than the courtesy of telling us what’s up, why come here to tell us this? What are you hoping to gain?”

“You’ve made it evident that open communication is important to you,” Maria drily said while evenly staring at Tony. “Not everything has an ulterior motive, Stark.”

He scoffed. “When Fury’s involved? Forgive me if I’m cynical.”

Natasha slightly narrowed her eyes at Tony while shifting in her seat, unconsciously digging her nails into her palms. “We all agreed that reaching out to SHIELD on this was the best plan, you shouldn’t be difficult when we get the according communication in response.”

“This,” he pointed to Bruce’s folder, “could have been a phone call. I get that there’s super spy paranoia at play for sensitive information and all, but still, we don’t get Fury’s right hand running messages to us without something else being planned.” As Tony spoke he gestured at Maria.

Clint huffed in partial amusement, paired with a small head shake. “And if it was anyone else, you really want to say you wouldn’t be questioning why a new face was being sent in rather than someone you already are at least familiar with?”

“I don’t know, Barton,” Tony snappily said with a defensive note. “Depends on the details.”

“Tony,” Bruce and Steve started to sigh at the same time, Steve about to continue when Maria cut him off, her eyes sharp.

“Stark, get it through your head that you personally are not Director Fury’s primary concern. When it comes to the Avengers, the primary concern is maintaining an amicable working relationship with this team. You asked for information, we investigated and are providing you with an update. You can stay as personally suspicious as you damn well please on your own time, but when you agree to associating in a professional capacity, act accordingly.”

Tony pursed his lips but seemed to bite back his instinctual response, waiting for a second before replying. “Anything else you want to put out there?”

“Only one thing.” Maria pulled a folded piece of paper out of her bag and slid it an arms reach away on the table. “Don’t abuse it, but these are my direct contact details if you ever would want SHIELD help in handling law enforcement or in case of emergency.”

“Thank you,” Steve quickly said. “We’ll keep this on hand for consideration.”

Maria nodded and lifted her bag while pushing back from the table. “Unless if anyone has anything to add or discuss, I do need to be heading back to my office.”

Natasha spoke before anyone else. “We appreciate the information and the visit.”

“Enjoy your day, Deputy Director Hill.” Tony glanced up at her from over his phone. “Happy’s going to insist on walking you out.”

“I would expect nothing less.”

Steve slightly cleared his throat. “Thank you again.”

She nodded in his direction. “My pleasure, Captain Rogers.”

Clint settled for a wave as Maria left before leaning back in his chair with his arms crossed across his chest while regarding everyone else left in the room. “So that could’ve gone a little better.”

“Hey,” Tony started to say, “do not try and say there’s not reason to be suspicious. You may trust Fury more than I do but you have to admit the man is full of plans and secrets. It’s his job.”

“And backtracking your position after we got the information we asked for isn’t useful.” Steve shut his folder and laid his hand flat on top of it. “Deputy Director Hill is right, Tony, you’re letting your personal feelings get in the way of the working relationship. I’m just as apprehensive about some of SHIELD’s actions as you are, but we have to know when’s the right time to bring it up.”

“We don’t have to ignore the suspicious parts to be professional,” Bruce quietly added.

“I know,” Tony loudly sighed with a partial eye roll, “what I said aside. I was consulting with Fury for SHIELD before the Loki incident, but things came out with that which only proved secret plans going on. And I knew before that I wasn’t going to be privy to every little thing, whatever you may think, but how much can you really blame me for expressing some standing concerns? Fool me twice, shame on me.”

Clint cocked his head to the side. “And which way are you having it? Is general mistrust of SHIELD and any one in Fury’s circle extending to me and Nat, or is it fine until it’s an easy excuse to be pissed at us?”

Natasha nudged his knee with hers under the table and did her best to cast him a subtle questioning look out of the corner of her eye.

In his chair, Tony twisted to directly face Clint. “You’re different-.”

“Are we?” Natasha pointedly asked, leaning forward to better look at Tony around Clint. “You barely commented on how we trust Fury more than you do, and this isn’t the first time the topic has come up.”

Bruce and Steve exchanged a worried glance, neither of them able to say anything before Tony started replying to Natasha.

“It’s not as personal as it feels, and I know that might not sound like enough, but I think there’s something to be said for understanding that SHIELD does mean different things to all of us. You and Clint do now have the background and, fun moments and all, have shown that you’re genuinely involved and that trusting you is a smart call. I get that you’ve got a different perspective on Fury, but you can’t say he’s not significantly SHIELD. The same SHIELD that couldn’t keep Manhattan from getting nuked on its own and tried to take Loki away without too much explanation, and certainly hasn’t given us any updates on Loki’s staff or anything.” Before anyone could respond Tony snapped his fingers. “Hold that thought, Agent Hill coming here does actually set something apart there.”

“Believe it or not,” Clint drily said, “Fury and Hill are our best bets for getting anything actionable out of Pierce and potentially the WSC.”

Tony absentmindedly nodded at him while frowning at himself. “How the fuck have I forgotten to follow up on the staff?”

“We have been busy,” Bruce said with a little shrug.

“None of our thoughts have been particularly centered on the staff,” Steve sympathetically commented. “We’ve all been more worried about the team and what actions we’ve taken. It’s not as though it’s only your job to worry about these things.”

Tony anxiously drummed his fingers on the table. “Barton, Romanoff, give me an honest opinion. Would Fury turn around and hide any relevant info on Loki’s staff while also giving us info on the Wrecking Crew to appease us?”

“Fury didn’t get the staff, he more than likely doesn’t have any information to give.” In an unintentional echo of Clint, Natasha also cocked her head to the side. “Fury does want the Avengers to succeed. This team was originally his idea.”

“And you’re confident that he would mention if he knew they were using the staff for weapons research or anything similar, even after knowing what happened when we found out about the Hydra tech SHIELD was using?” Steve asked.

Natasha focused on him, her expression serious. “I am.”

“Fury’s one of those that saw the damage Loki was able to wreck with that stuff up close,” Clint tightly said. “He’s not looking to unleash that sort of power into people’s hands if there’s anything he can do about it.”

Tony nodded. “Do you know if he’s been asking about it?”

“He doesn’t tell us everything.”

“It would be good to find out something,” Bruce said after a half second of pause.

Steve looked at Tony, his expression stern. “Any remarks to give if Clint and Natasha reach out about the staff?”

He held up both hands. “Only that I’m fine with it. Even I can admit that sometimes the best answer to uncovering secrets is someone who’s an expert in secrets.”

“You promise you’re not going to change your mind an hour from now?” Clint wryly asked, his gaze a pointed mixture of cautious amusement.

“Not for the staff.” Tony halfway rolled his eyes. “Contrary to apparent belief, I do remember that it wasn’t anyone who seems to be in Fury’s circle that took it, I’m not going to hold something that may genuinely be over his head against him unless something gives me reason to believe otherwise.” He softened the set of his expression. “I know I’m difficult, but at the end of the day I’d rather be friends with differing opinions than only antagonistic coworkers. I promise.”

“We can do that.”

Chapter 20

Notes:

We've got some more comic book science liberties being taken as far as specific logistics for how some things work.

Chapter Text

“You sure you can make this?” Tony teasingly asked from the side where he watched Clint.

They had driven to a suitable spot outside of the city to set up a testing spot for calibrating the boomerang arrows.

Clint glanced at Tony with the beginnings of a smirk. “Hey man, if it doesn’t come back to the right spot, that’s on you. I’m aiming based on your calculations.”

He chuckled. “Fire at will, Hawkeye.”

Before he finished talking Clint loosed the arrow, slightly lowering his bow as he watched it travel in a guided arc back towards the target and thud into it seconds later.

They both walked up to check just where exactly the arrow had hit.

“All in all, that’s not a bad first go,” Tony said while leaning in for a closer look. “Just don’t give me something snappy about how this is my fault, Barton. Starting an inch off of a bullseye is pretty damn good.”

“I’m not gonna disagree.” Clint carefully pulled the arrow out of the target and handed it to Tony. “Weight’s good, just a little more finetuning and we’ll have it.”

“Give me a minute.” Tony pulled out a pocket sized multi-tool and flipped open a panel on the side of the arrowhead before starting to fiddle with the inner mechanism. “Overall travel arc seem pretty good to you?”

“Yeah, just a matter of that little difference for the perfect shot.”

“We’ll start with changing by a degree, see where we’re at.”

It took several more test shots and alterations to the targeting system before it was calibrated to Clint’s liking, followed by setting the other test arrowheads to the same settings and checking that they were similarly accurate on return.

Clint openly grinned after checking the last arrow and finding that it had landed in an almost perfect bullseye. “This is fantastic.”

“Any adjustments in the field, given enough time JARVIS could cue it, but otherwise we’re sticking with that until you let me know otherwise.” Tony smirked. “Now, you ready to give that sonic arrow a try, Legolas?”

“Hell yes.”

They set up several panes of different types of glass in a variety of formations around the area before Clint nocked the first of the sonic arrows. Two arrowheads had a test adhesive and an accordingly blunt tip, a third with a normal puncturing tip.

“Could do with a slightly better weight distribution,” he noted.

Tony nodded from behind him. “We’ll talk about it.”

“Good to know.”

Clint inhaled and focused on the furthest pane of glass, aiming for the center.

The arrow was still weighted well enough that it wasn’t a problem to accommodate, landing true in the center of the pane. Rather than puncture through the glass it adhered to the surface – eliciting a satisfied fist pump from Tony – and started giving off sonic vibrations.

A second later, the glass shattered, the two panes positioned at a 45-degree angle on either side also breaking.

Clint had already nocked and loosed the next arrow. It didn’t adhere quite as well as the first, but still shattered all the nearby glass just as efficiently.

He twirled the next arrow after he drew it from the quiver and angled to look back at Tony. “Plain one’s weighted better.”

“That’s good.”

They had set up three planes of glass in an overlapping cluster, each pane separated by a couple inches.

It wasn’t quite clear whether the arrow itself or the sonic vibrations did more damage, but all three panes were shattered within moments of contact.

Clint couldn’t help a giddy grin as he collapsed his bow and turned back to Tony. “That is so cool.”

He grinned back. “There is a world of possibilities right there.”

“Fuck yeah.”

They exchanged a high five before starting on the process of gathering up the spent arrows and cleaning up the debris with the aid of the tarps they had preemptively laid underneath the panes before starting the drive back to the Tower.

Tony immediately launched into conversation once he was behind the wheel. “Don’t feel like I purposefully waited to get you stuck in the car before bringing this up, but since it’s working out that way, I’ve just got a question.”

Clint raised both brows at him. “Good question or bad question?”

“Just a question.” Tony didn’t wait before continuing. “First of all, I know you went through mandated psychological evaluation and that time passing has certainly helped and that you might not love to talk about it, but give me a moment. How are you doing, how are you handling the after effects of Loki and Manhattan?”

“That’s a loaded question,” Clint drily replied with a touch of amusement before tipping his head back against the seat with a deep breath. “Overall, I’ve never been lying to say I’m doing pretty well, but I can’t say it’s good all the time.” He shrugged with one shoulder. “Is what it is.”

“Does Natasha know?”

Clint glanced at him with a questioning frown. “I talk to Natasha, but it’s not like I’ve made her sit through hearing everything that’s going on in my head at a given time.”

“Yeah, but you’re close. Are you honest with her about all this?”

“Did she say something or put you up to this?” Clint suspiciously asked.

Tony firmly shook his head and glanced at Clint, momentarily catching his eye, something akin to anxious deliberation in his own expression, before focusing back onto the road. “No, she didn’t, I just…” Tony swallowed and tightened his grip on the steering wheel. “I know the reasons aren’t strictly comparable, but you’re not the only one with after effects from Manhattan. And it’s always just lingering, liable to rise up without reason some days.”

“We’ve got the time to talk about it,” Clint gently said. “If you’re comfortable.”

“Aliens themselves are a hell of a reveal, but I went through that portal, saw the other side.” Tony held the steering wheel tighter, his knuckles going white “And what had already come through was nothing. I’m sure the nuke didn’t do more than dent that army on top of what we dealt with here, and looking in the face of it, I thought for sure that was it, we’d done our best but it wasn’t ever gonna be enough against all that.” He took a shaky breath. “And thank god we all survived and closed the portal off, but I know it’s out there, know we might not be enough. And it’s plenty of material for nightmares, the Chitauri army, what if we would’ve failed, what if they come back…” After a second Tony cleared his throat and tried to lighten his voice. “If we’re doing this I’m not going to be the only one baring my nightmares.”

Clint nervously chuckled. “Don’t expect all the nitty gritty.”

“Whatever you’re comfortable with,” Tony agreed, adding on a glance in his direction to signal his attention.

Clint took a deep breath. “Obviously, you know the basics of what happened, and I didn’t get nearly as much from the Chitauri as Loki, but,” he bitterly chuckled, “he’s more than enough to still keep me up at night. He may be gone, but I’m still fucking haunted by him and being trapped in my own goddamn head. Unable to actually do I things I really wanted, stuck with doing what he ordered and thinking it was of my own fucking accord.” He paused for a moment as his voice caught before darkly adding, “Nightmare isn’t a sufficient word.”

Tony grimly guffawed. “That feels like an understatement.”

They each went silent for several moments before Clint quietly cleared his throat.

“Have you talked with anyone else about any of this?”

“Not much, to be honest,” Tony admitted after a second of apparent debate. “A little with Pepper, but not like I want to get into details with her. I’ve told Rhodey a little more but he’s got more important things to worry about than how I’m doing at a given time. Reaches out from time to time though.”

“You’re important to him, Tony. You’re not inconveniencing him by reaching out. Same goes for any of us, for that matter.”

“If I’m going to express any sort of thank you, I should remind that that goes both ways, Barton.”

“Yeah, you’re not the first.”

A corner of Tony’s mouth momentarily quirked up in a small smile. “Guess we can both say we’re working on it.”

“Something like that.” Clint leaned his head against the back of the seat and angled to look at Tony. “You want to talk about anything else on the topic?”

“Let me know next time you can’t sleep, maybe we can commiserate together.”

“I’ll keep it in mind, “Clint said with a nod.

They each again went relatively silent until reaching the outskirts of the city.

“You have anything else in mind for the night?” Tony asked.

“Not particularly.” Clint absentmindedly drummed his fingers against his thigh. “Why?”

“I figure Pepper’s ladies’ night out is lasting for a while, might as well do something of our own if people are interested. Rhodey said he’s definitely busy with newly promoted colonel things so can’t count him in, but even Bruce and Steve might be available.”

Clint elegantly arched an eyebrow. “What activity are you thinking?”

“Don’t laugh, but honestly, I’ve been weirdly in the mood for some board games.”

“Do you even own any board games?”

Tony scoffed. “I’ve got at least a shelf of them. Not everything needs to be tech. I even read paper books sometimes.”

Clint responded with a far too amused grin. “I was starting to wonder if that library was just for show.”

“I’m hurt,” Tony lightheartedly sighed, unable to entirely keep from smiling.

“Just know that if Steve or Bruce aren’t feeling up to a board game, I’m not feeling a one-v-one board game. Just not my scene.”

“Noted.”

--

Darcy deeply frowned at the wire she was attempting to manipulate around a teal agate slice. “I don’t think the wine is why I’m bad at this but the rest of you are doing great.”

“This is an unintended side effect of why I’ve recommended helping more with the wiring part of equipment maintenance,” Jane said without looking up from using cone nose pliers to deftly form a loop in her wire, a light note to her voice.

Pepper laughed. “I think the last thing I’m doing with this is great.” She empathetically smiled at Darcy. “For what it’s worth, I don’t know how they do it either.”

Natasha glanced up and shrugged. “I’m good with my hands.”

After going out to a sushi dinner, they were attending a wine and wire wrapped jewelry workshop held by a little craft store fundraising for rebuilding efforts, each of them having opted to try the necklace option.

Darcy held her half wrapped agate slice over to Jane. “I think I need you to show me that twist again.”

“One second.” She set her own slice down before accepting Darcy’s, holding it between them to show as she modeled the motion to twist the wire around an existing loop. “Just keep it nice and tight.”

“Way easier said than done,” Darcy complained before taking another sip of her wine.

Jane faintly smiled. “I’ll offer to wrap this section if you agree to start helping with equipment wiring.”

“Done.”

Pepper also paused her wire wrapping to drink from her wine glass before remarking, “I’m glad that between all of us we’ll end up with at least decent results for these necklaces.” She slightly raised her glass. “Thank you, Jane and Natasha, for singlehandedly bringing up our group quality.”

Darcy leaned over to clink her glass against Pepper’s with a laugh. “Basically.” After drinking some more wine she grinned at Jane. “Do I sense a new hobby in the works? I’m sure there’s an Etsy market for astrophysics related jewelry. And if not I can make one.”

“I’d rather focus on my work,” Jane replied without looking up from working on Darcy’s agate slice.

“Speaking of,” Natasha started to ask while glancing up, “how is your research coming?”

“I think I might finally be able to say I’ve learned as much as I can from the Tesseract data.” Jane bit at her lower lip for a second. “I don’t want to jinx it, but I’m significantly more confident in how to hopefully get a better message to Asgard and the theory of what we’d need for a functional Einstein-Rosen bridge of our own.”

“That’s significant,” Pepper said with an awe-tinged smile.

Jane couldn’t help a shyly proud smile back, trying to hide it while staying focused on twisting the wire. “It needs review and testing after that, of course, but it’s the best work I’ve got.”

“It’s another breakthrough,” Darcy brightly said. “Jane can finally literally punch holes through space.”

“Theoretically,” she amended.

Darcy gave a side nod. “But still only a matter of time before literally.”

“It’s great progress,” Jane started to say with a wary glance in Natasha’s direction, “the unfortunate thing is, I doubt SHIELD will let me publish anything even vaguely requiring the Tesseract data.” She quietly broke into nervous laughter. “And NASA might not want to have to share any details of Project PEGASUS now.”

Natasha casually shrugged with one shoulder. “I wouldn’t write off SHIELD or NASA as definite ‘no’s just yet.”

One of the workshop supervisors briefly interrupted any further discussion by coming over to check on their progress, and spent some time directly helping Pepper before stepping away to check on another table.

Jane handed Darcy her finished necklace as the supervisor left, eliciting an excited noise from her. “It looks so good!”

“I hope the rest of you don’t mind sitting here for a little longer, I may take a bit,” Pepper lightly remarked.

“Hey, no complaints.” Darcy held up her glass. “Basically free wine, good conversation, hanging out with all of you… this is fun!”

“Glad to hear it,” Pepper laughed. “I certainly appreciate having this time with all of you.”

“Yeah, running SI sure seems to keep you busy,” Darcy said as she clasped her necklace on.

“It’s always something interesting.”

Natasha looked up and curiously tilted her head to the side. “I heard there was some fun at yesterday’s press conference with the mayor.”

Pepper sighed. “Yes, apparently some of New York is not thrilled about expanded green energy measures in conjunction with needing to rebuild already. They just showed up to yell their opinion, but we’re keeping an eye on them from the company and city perspective.”

“Does it seem like they’re liable to do more than yell?” Natasha asked, directly holding Pepper’s gaze for a moment.

“I doubt it, they’re loud but nothing to be particularly worried about.” Pepper waved a hand. “SI alone has seen this plenty of times, trust me. It’s significantly more mundane than an Avengers level need.”

Natasha waited for a moment, her expression unreadable, before nodding. “From what I see it at least looks like most people are on board with the measures.”

“Any clean energy conferences in your future, Pepper?” Darcy brightly asked. “I’m seeing something keynote.”

“Not yet, and it’s hardly as though I’m the heart of SI’s green movement. Significant as the CEO, yes, but there are plenty of others I’d rather highlight first.”

Jane cleared her throat. “If you ever do end up being a keynote speaker somewhere and would want any advice, I’ve got a list of recommendations for a good conference speech.”

Pepper gave an appreciative nod. “I will remember that.” She paused for a second before continuing. “I know that it may be a while before you can openly discuss some of your research, but are there any conference appearances coming up for you?”

“There is a conference at the end of the year that I am bringing some of my Bifrost data to for officially presenting the Foster Theory.” Jane awkwardly chuckled. “Again, I was hoping to maybe be able to bring some of the Tesseract data along too, but now…”

“Plus Erik.”

Jane sighed and nodded at Darcy. “Yeah, and I was also going to be presenting with Erik, which he may or may not be willing to do when it’s time. And I’ll be just fine without him, it just would be nice to have someone else right there who definitely believes in and supports my work.”

Darcy put her hand over Jane’s to give it a comforting squeeze before shrugging. “But hey, you never know, maybe Thor will be back by then. He can pull double duty as evidence and as support.”

“We’ll see, and if he’d even agree,” Jane quietly replied, her gaze briefly going distant.

“Here.” Darcy nudged Jane’s glass closer. “We’re not thinking about December and a bunch of what ifs, we’ve got wine and friends and good conversation.”

She obligingly took a sip before again clearing her throat. “Technically this workshop only goes for about another hour, right?”

Natasha nodded. “It does, but I will have to leave earlier if you plan on staying for the whole time.”

“Oh?” Pepper asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I’ve got a take and go appointment at Clint’s favorite pizza place.” Before Pepper could say anything she added on, “It’s a longstanding tradition with arrowhead testing.”

“Okay,” Darcy said with a grin, “that’s seriously adorable.”

To the side, Pepper widely smiled in agreement.

“How much longer do we have you around, then?” Jane asked.

Natasha quickly checked her phone. “About sixteen minutes. And it’s roughly on the way to the Tower, I can always meet up with you on the way back.”

“I think I’ll see where I’m at for finishing this in the next ten minutes and then decide from there,” Pepper said with a nod towards her mostly wire wrapped agate slice. “Can I ask if it’s just the pizza or if there’s anything else involved with the tradition?”

“Just the pizza.” Natasha arched a brow at Pepper, directly holding her gaze. “It’s nothing elaborate. Usually there are leftovers.”

“What does he like anyhow?” Darcy asked. “I still owe him something as a thank you from one time I accidentally forgot my badge inside while grabbing something from Jane’s van, but the one day someone brought pizza in for lunch at the JDEM facility I’m pretty sure he ate a little bit of everything, so I’m not sure what the best option is.” She ignored Jane nudging her knee with hers under the table.

Natasha smirked. “Clint’s rarely picky with his pizza, but he does have a favorite. Pepperoni with a side of mushrooms and peppers, extra cheese blend. House sauce too, if it’s from Vic’s.”

Darcy nodded and seemed to quickly mutter the order under her breath for attempted memorization before following with another nod. “Awesome, I will probably ask to be reminded of that when it’s a better pizza buying time.”

“He’ll appreciate it.”

Chapter 21

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As she walked into the war room, Natasha was surprised to find two men standing with their arms crossed and staring at a holographic display of a news channel reporting on a bombing that had severely injured several people, the location off screen as the scroll bar listed an updated injury count.

Tony glanced back, his expression grim even as he greeted her. “Hey, Natasha.”

She nodded at him as she walked up to his open side. “Hey. And it’s good to see you, Rhodey. Congratulations on the promotion.”

“Thanks, and you too.” He nodded towards the display with a sigh. “Wish it was staying a casual visit, but…”

She folded her arms as she glanced back at the display. “Are we looking into investigating further into these Mandarin bombings as the team?”

“I’d like to,” Tony said before pulling out his phone and making an annoyed sound. “Where is everyone else?”

“Clint and Bruce are tackling a grocery run and Steve’s helping with a school PSA.” Natasha shrugged as Rhodey raised an eyebrow at her. “Captain America responsibilities. I don’t envy him.” She looked at Tony. “They’ll be back as soon as they can.”

“Right.” He started pulling up more newsfeeds and articles as he widened the display. “In the meantime, how much do you know about the Mandarin?”

Natasha scanned over the new information as she replied. “The Mandarin is supposedly an individual in charge of the Ten Rings terrorist organization. Whether it’s truly a single person or a title held by multiple people, the intelligence community hasn’t found anything definitive on.” She pointedly arched a brow at Tony. “Regardless, based on your recent history of trying to take down the Ten Rings, you’re not on the list of the Mandarin’s favorite people.”

“They really don’t like me,” he agreed.

Rhodey held out a hand in an open gesture. “Before the Mandarin started taking credit for these bombings, we hadn’t seen any identifiable Ten Rings activity for months after I dealt with some of their people in Hong Kong. And we know that ever since Tony made the first suit and escaped, they’ve been trying to get an Iron Man suit of their own.”

“A far cry from bombings with no connections to Tony,” Natasha murmured with a thoughtful frown.

“But if they want my attention, they still have it.”

She nodded in his direction without looking. “From what I understand these bombings haven’t left significant evidence for any substantial investigation. What are you hoping we can do or find in spite of that?”

“Still working on that,” Tony confessed after a moment of hesitation. “But I can’t just ignore something that keeps on happening like this, especially when there’s an apparent Ten Rings connection.”

“I have to at least ask if you would accept consulting with the president on handling this,” Rhodey remarked after checking his phone.

“Tell him I’m respectfully declining but that the Avengers are on it. For global considerations, not just American interests.” Tony shrunk a news article as he swiped one hand through it. “On that note, Natasha, give me an honest opinion. Would SHIELD be useful to reach out to in looking into and hopefully handling this?”

“Maybe.” Natasha shrugged. “With the lack of evidence and the Mandarin newly taking credit after the fact, SHIELD isn’t necessarily likely to know much more than anyone else. I can reach out but I wouldn’t plan on any new intel.”

“SHIELD’s still the best intelligence community lead we’ve got.”

Rhodey coughed to cover a sound that might have been a short chuckle. “I’m going to pretend like I didn’t hear that.”

Tony smirked in his direction. “Sorry Colonel.”

“In strict confidentiality I think I’d pick SHIELD too though.”

Natasha faintly smiled for a moment before sobering her expression. “I assume we’re worried about there eventually being a bombing here in New York?”

“Eventually.” His brow furrowed, Tony hesitated for a moment before adding on, “I’m thinking it at least wouldn’t hurt to make some sort of Iron Man bodyguard to accompany Pepper, something with better monitoring capabilities than Happy.”

“She’s not going to love that idea,” Rhodey noted as he looked at Tony, his expression even.

He nodded with a deep sigh, keeping his gaze focused on the news footage of the bombing. “I know, but I’d rather risk a little ire for the sake of her safety.”

“What are you planning on monitoring for?” Natasha asked after a moment of shared silence. “And to make a point on logistics, is giving Pepper an Iron Man bodyguard only going to make her a definite target?”

“Fuck,” Tony loudly groaned as he rubbed at his face with both hands.

Rhodey reached over to supportively put a hand on Tony’s shoulder. “We’ll figure it out.”

“If Pepper would be comfortable with it, I’d be willing to step back in as Natalie for accompanying on business trips and such. I may not have the same monitoring abilities as an Iron Man bodyguard either, and no offense to Happy, but I am better trained in situational awareness.”

Tony nodded as he lifted his head back up. “I appreciate it.”

Something buzzed on Rhodey, earning a small sigh from him as he pulled his phone back out. “Sorry Tony, I’ve got to take this,” he said while lifting the phone up to his ear and stepping back, giving a serious, “This is Colonel Rhodes,” as he left the war room.

Natasha wordlessly watched for several moments as Tony minimized more news feeds before saying anything. “Would an Iron Man bodyguard be an autonomous suit?”

“It’s the most versatile answer,” Tony said with a nod. “Still needs some practical refining but JARVIS is definitely capable of running it in addition to normal functions.”

She arched an eyebrow at him. “Any planned similarities to Hammer and Vanko’s drones?”

He shook his head. “Not quite. I’m still thinking a suit, so someone can hop in it if needed, and we’re talking a clear purpose and JARVIS.” His tone had gone vaguely defensive. “Worst case scenario it can either grab Pepper and Happy and fly out or she can hop in, grab Happy too, and fly out of wherever.”

Natasha approvingly inclined her head to him in a half nod. “You and Pepper need to have a conversation.”

“I know.” He glanced down. “And, uh, thanks again for offering a backup plan. It means… a lot.”

“We’re Avengers, we look out for each other.”

--

Jane bolted from the couch in immediate response to JARVIS’ notification of her equipment picking up significant focused astral activity above the Tower.

“That’ll more than likely be Bifrost activity, right?” Tony asked Darcy.

She nodded at him and hummed a short “mmhmm” through a mouthful of popcorn while starting to hurry after Jane.

“As long as he uses the space I’ve specifically set up to risk Bifrost charring and not my landing pad…,” Tony muttered beneath his breath while also standing.

Natasha quietly laughed as she stood with Pepper, the two of them having initially sat together to discuss some of the day’s business fun for Pepper before the night’s film.

JARVIS helpfully paused Raiders of the Lost Ark as everyone made their way to the elevator to jointly head for the roof, Clint and Natasha each separately debating about taking the stairs with a glance in their direction before deciding for the ease of the elevator.

It was almost comical, everyone following to the roof with only the promise of what was probably the Bifrost, Jane ordering, “Everyone in or wait for it to come back” while holding the button for the doors to close.

“Thank god I planned on the big elevators,” Tony lightly remarked after they had all packed inside.

Bruce slightly smiled and amusedly shook his head. “The fun of only having one with roof access.”

“We’re definitely going to have to take turns on the way back down.”

Jane practically bounced on her heels to get going as the elevator doors slowly opened on the last landing for the stairs and eagerly bounded up to the door for the roof before throwing it open, the sun thankfully set low enough that it wasn’t directly on her eyeline.

Her beaming smile matched Thor’s, his eyes lighting up as he saw her emerge. “Jane!”

He had already been walking towards the roof door, and it only took another step from him as she closed the gap before Thor embraced her in a delighted hug, literally sweeping Jane off her feet for a moment as he pulled her to him.

“Called it!” Darcy smugly said. “I’ll accept all bets in cash.”

Pepper leaned over and nudged Natasha’s side, her gaze fixed on Thor. “I don’t think the SHIELD file did him justice.”

“A file you weren’t supposed to see?” Natasha teasingly replied beneath her breath, a smile tugging at one corner of her mouth.

“Blame Tony,” Pepper whispered back.

Thor made sure Jane was solidly back on her feet before he lovingly cradled the side of her face, unable to tear his eyes from her. “I received your signal. I do not know if you actually received my response, given the available technology, but-.”

“I think I got something,” Jane laughed in relief, her eyes similarly alight. “The rest of those Bifrost repairs went by pretty quickly, huh?”

“It was a far simpler process with the aid of the Tesseract, I gathered.” He was about to say more when Tony loudly cleared his throat from where he stood a few feet behind Jane.

“Not to interrupt the reunion too much,” he started to say with a little wave as Thor looked at him, “but hey, thought we’d all come and welcome you back.”

Steve smiled. “It’s good to see you.”

“It is good to see you all too, my friends,” Thor warmly said despite the clear regret as he slightly pulled away from Jane, settling for holding her hand for contact. “Heimdall has informed me that I have missed several battles at your side.”

“Individually or together?” Clint whispered to Natasha from her other side. “Since one of them’s definitely an exaggeration.”

She barely inclined her head in his direction, keeping her focus on Thor.

“Hey, battling or not, it’s good to see you again.” Darcy walked up to amicably bump her fist against the armor on Thor’s arm. “How’s space?”

“Space is fine,” he said with subtle confusion before fully shifting back to his smile while regarding everyone. “I do have several important items of business to inform you all of, but I am happy to let that wait until after officially reuniting.”

“Speaking of, feel free to reunite up here but I at least am returning to the lounge.” Pepper stood with her arms crossed and cardigan wrapped around her as best it could reach. “It’s a little too chilly up here for casual conversation, and we haven’t even gotten any good gusts yet.”

“We’re definitely into fall.” Bruce also had his arms crossed and nodded in the direction of the door. “I think I’m going to head down too.”

“Can we, uh, meet you guys in the lounge?” Jane asked as Thor helpfully started shifting one side of his cape around her with a concerned look at the plaid button up she was wearing. “We’ll take the next elevator.”

Darcy winked as she took a step back. “Sure thing, Janie.”

Natasha had smirked and started to turn back to the roof door while catching the restrained laughter in Clint’s expression, a comment withheld for the moment.

“Just don’t be forever!” Tony called as he followed to the door.

A sneaky glance back just before the door closed found that, unsurprisingly, Jane had immediately leaned up into a kiss while Thor better positioned his cape around her.

Darcy waited until the elevator doors had closed before commenting, “If they’re not down in ten minutes tops we definitely need to check on them, and I am not it.”

Clint snorted. “Might have to draw straws for that one.”

“Long distance is hard,” Bruce quietly reflected, his cheeks slightly flushing a moment after as Tony angled towards him with a knowing look. “No,” he firmly said, trying to relay a warning with his eyes, “I’m not talking about it right now.”

“Later then?” Tony pushed.

Steve sighed. “We are not going to start interrogating about each other’s love lives.”

The comment earned an immediate smirk from Natasha. “That sounds like the response of a man with something to hide.”

Tony joined with a grin and purposeful eyebrow waggle over his shoulder as he stepped into the lounge. “Well how about it, have you found a special someone, Rogers?”

“I just said we are not going to start interrogating each other about our love lives,” Steve seriously said despite his own flushed cheeks.

Before Tony could say anything more Pepper nudged his side and cast him a pointed look, eliciting a small sigh with a nod out of him. “Agreed, no interrogation, just friendly curiosity.”

“You’d just have to put ‘The actual Captain America’ on your dating profile and would definitely get plenty of swipes though, if you’re ever up to it,” Darcy cheerily said.

Clint laughed. “The news would have a field day with that.”

“Even if I was interested in dating right now, I don’t think I want to go that public,” Steve said with a shake of his head, momentarily pausing to rest his hands on his hips.

Pepper spoke before anyone else could. “Completely understandable.”

Everyone settled back into their respective spots on the couches, Clint subtly exchanging a teasing eye roll with Natasha from their separate couches.

“I have a feeling we’re not finishing Raiders tonight,” Bruce lightheartedly said.

“I will go ahead and turn off the screen,” JARVIS helpfully interjected.

Darcy held a thumbs up towards the ceiling. “Thanks!”

Clint instinctively glanced up before looking back to everyone else. “Opinions on giving them awkward entrance music?”

“It wouldn’t be as funny with Thor,” Darcy started to say while Tony immediately gave an enthusiastic, “Got any particular suggestions?”

Natasha nodded at Darcy. “They’re already going to be slightly awkward, and Jane would feel the brunt of it. We can be nice.”

“Right, right.” Clint absentmindedly drummed his fingers against the couch armrest before ruefully chuckling. “Gotta be honest, I’m not coming up with a wealth of short conversational topics right now.”

“Steve,” Darcy started to ask after a moment’s thought, “any fun stories from filming those school PSAs?”

He awkwardly chuckled and momentarily glanced down before speaking. “The scripts were exactly what you might expect, and the directing was… they are definitely a very specific type of PSA.”

“How strict an NDA are you under?” Tony asked with a little laugh.

“I’m not supposed to go sharing the details far and wide, but since I don’t think any of you are particularly invested in elementary through high school PSAs…”

“Are you allowed to be that rebellious as Captain America?” Darcy teasingly asked.

Steve confidently smiled. “Last I checked, no one was stopping me.”

A response was cut off by the ding of the elevator and Thor and Jane stepping out hand in hand.

Jane’s smile shifted from beaming to slightly nervous as she looked over everyone. “Uh, how long of a thing are we planning on making this?”

Tony shrugged. “Guess that depends on how privately Thor wants to relay his important items of business.”

“It may best be relayed primarily to my fellow Avengers.” Thor cast Jane, Darcy, and Pepper a sympathetic look. “I apologize for disrupting the evening so thoroughly.”

“That’s life with the Avengers,” Pepper wryly said with a partial sigh. She waved a hand in Thor’s direction. “There will be plenty of time to mingle another night, don’t feel bad about tackling Avengers business right now.”

Thor seriously nodded in her direction. “Very well.” He raised Jane’s hand to press a kiss to the back of it, affection entirely apparent in his gaze. “I will return to you as soon as I am able.”

She nodded with a little awkward laugh and soft smile just for him. “See you soon.”

“So he’s a little dramatic,” Tony muttered to himself as he stood before loudly adding on, “Avengers, the war room. Thor, we’ll start to catch you up on building schematics on the way.”

For yet another time, they packed into the elevator with Tony primarily taking the lead on giving Thor an overview of what was on each floor button by button en route to the war room.

“And let me guess, still a tour tomorrow after all this?” Clint lightly asked as they reached the floor.

Tony shrugged. “We’ll see.”

“You figure out where everything is pretty quick,” Steve reassuringly told Thor as they all settled into seats around the conference table.

“It does seem fairly straightforward.” Thor carefully put Mjolnir handle side up on the table slightly beside him before a somber note passed over his expression. “The Bifrost being repaired is not the only news I bring from Asgard.” He glanced at Clint. “For the present, Loki is being securely held and has faced an initial trial for his actions here on Midgard. My father passed judgement and Loki is accordingly beginning to answer for the events that have transpired. What place SHIELD and the Avengers may be able to hold in further judgement is still up for discussion.”

“That’s vague on the details,” Clint remarked, a dark note in his voice.

“And ‘may be able to hold?’” Bruce added on, his brow slightly furrowed.

“There is much that could be discussed regarding the details of Loki’s current circumstances, but it is perhaps not the best time to have that lengthy a conversation.” Thor paused for a moment. “In arranging for my return to the Avengers, I agreed to a condition from my father that I return to Asgard from time to time to assist with affairs of the realm and the other seven besides Midgard. It should not be for any particularly lengthy span, but it is an obligation I intend to keep.”

Steve curiously arched a brow but settled for nodding in response. “We understand.”

“But you are planning on being here for a while, right?” Tony asked while holding out a hand. “We can plan on that?”

“I will remain on Midgard for some time.” Thor couldn’t help but break into a surprisingly shy smile. “I have much to do here, after all.”

Clint tilted his head to the side, evenly regarding Thor. “Any other important business from Asgard then?”

He directly met his gaze. “Ah, there is a matter I would care to speak with you about in private. Beyond that, I have nothing more to add for the moment.”

Natasha carefully watched Clint’s expression, a vague note of concern washing over her at the barely perceptible flash of panic that ran through it as he swallowed and nodded at Thor. “We’ll work out a time. Not tonight though.”

“It can certainly wait.”

“Speaking of waiting,” Tony started to say, “anyone going to object if we opt to save catching Thor up on what he missed until tomorrow and everyone can settle in for the night instead?” He waited for a moment and looked around at everyone. “No?”

Steve partially adopted his Captain America voice. “We’re good.” He slightly leaned on the table. “Team training tomorrow afternoon?”

Everyone else nodded before Thor firmly said, “Certainly.”

“I’ll give you the details for that in tomorrow’s tour,” Tony said while pushing back from the table. “And I’ll get you back to the lounge but from there I’m sure Jane and JARVIS can help you figure anything out in the meantime.”

As everyone started pushing away from the table Natasha pointedly leaned in besides Clint as they stood. “You want to talk?” she quietly asked.

“I’m fine, really.” He smiled at her. “I promise.”

Notes:

Only took 50k to get the whole team back together, haha!

Chapter 22

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

They were all back in the lounge watching Raiders of the Lost Ark, Darcy munching on popcorn in between exchanging lines of joking commentary with Tony. Jane rolled her eyes at Darcy’s last joke and snagged some of her popcorn before leaning back into the depths of the couch.

Steve broke into a disbelieving laugh. “Oh c’mon, that’s as accurate as they wanted to be?”

Bruce broke into a near snicker. “Historical accuracy isn’t exactly the foundation of Indiana Jones.”

“But in light of this reaction, now I’m really reconsidering some of the movies we should watch next,” Tony teasingly said.

Pepper couldn’t resist an eye roll of her own. “Within reason.”

“Of course, Pep.”

With his arm around her shoulders, Clint grinned and leaned in to whisper to Natasha. “If accuracy is our new metric, definitely have some ideas we could tear apart…”

“Mmm, but if we correct on too much they might start to pick up on anything we need to pull,” she whispered back with a smirk pulling at one edge of her mouth as she angled to directly look at him, leaning in close enough that he couldn’t help but be momentarily transfixed by the green of her eyes.

“Plenty to pick apart without getting into trade secrets,” Clint countered. “And we can veto some of the most atrocious options-.”

A loud buzz from Jane’s phone interrupted him, quickly followed by Jane leaping onto her feet and practically darting to the elevator with an exclaimed, “Bifrost activity!”

After exchanging curious glances, everyone got up after her and crammed into the elevator to hurry to the roof.

Jane was the first out and accordingly the first up the last set of stairs to the roof door, bursting through before stopping several paces onto the rooftop and clasping a hand over her mouth in surprise.

Darcy gasped, “Oh my god,” and reached to steady her at the shoulders.

Thor’s chest showed a gaping wound as he fell onto his back, his head lolling to the side as his glassy eyes seemed to take one last look at the person behind him.

He was kneeling just as he had appeared at the Joint Dark Energy Mission facility and looked up with the same wild eyes and twisted smile, glancing at everyone before focusing on Clint, the intensity behind his gaze practically boring into his soul.

With an amused huff, Loki instantly drew himself to his feet without tearing his eyes away from Clint. “Did you truly believe you had seen the last of me, little hawk?” he crooned while taking a confident stride towards him.

Clint tried to instinctively fall back a step but found that his legs were heavy as lead, keeping him firmly rooted in place and only able to stare at Loki in wide-eyed horror. “No, this isn’t…”

Tony and Steve had darted forward to try an attack, only for Loki to swat them away and send them flying off the sides of the Tower while still keeping all his attention on Clint as he advanced.

“You heroes cannot protect yourselves now, and I without an army.” Bruce started to turn into the Hulk, only to have a line of daggers thud into his chest and prompt him to fall to his knees with a shaky inhale. “And there is still so much we have yet to accomplish here, after all.” Loki’s smile morphed into a dark smirk. “I am not done with you yet, Barton.”

He still couldn’t move, and his mouth wouldn’t let him shout a warning as Natasha pulled out one of her Glocks and started firing at Loki’s head.

The shots bounced off some invisible barrier and Loki finally looked away from Clint to rush at Natasha with a guttural snarl and knock the Glock out of her hands with blinding speed. He started to reach for her arm just as she snapped the base of her other hand under his chin in a hit that should have sent his head reeling back, if not immediately incapacitated him.

Instead, Loki broke into a devilish grin and seized her by the throat while lifting her up a solid foot off the ground as she gasped and struggled against his grip. “You will regret that.”

His muscles finally cooperating, Clint lunged to try to do anything as it looked like Loki might squeeze, his voice also back to him in a raw, broken scream of panic. “NAT!

Clint jerked himself awake with a start and had to take a few moments to consciously remind himself to breathe as his heart wouldn’t stop nervously pounding, the visual of Loki threatening Natasha seared across his conscious thought.

He forced himself to shakily inhale and exhale while rubbing at his face before looking up at the ceiling.

“Uh, JARVIS?”

The AI’s voice responded a moment later. “Yes, Mr. Barton?”

“Is… is Thor here?”

“Yes, he is presently on his floor with Dr. Foster.” JARVIS paused. “Would you like me to awaken him?”

“No,” Clint quickly said. “Uh, just checking. Thanks.”

“Of course. Simply let me know if you need anything else.”

“Yep.” Clint waited for several moments before taking a deep breath and again rubbing at his face. “It’s not real it’s not fucking real…” he whispered to himself for several moments before pushing off the bed and going into the bathroom to splash some water on his face.

He gripped the counter as he looked up into the mirror, half anticipating to see Loki’s face leering behind him. Instead, there was only his own, showing bags under his eyes and the anxious fear that had crept into his expression.

There were basically two options: distract himself with some activity and try to just take the nightmare in stride, or go ahead and at least let someone else know the gist of what hearing about Loki again had brought out.

Ideally with someone who wasn’t going to try and be too pitiful or question if further talk of Loki was going to be too much for him. Nightmares were inevitable for probably the rest of his life, but he still felt pretty good in that he wasn’t going to be plagued with them at the mere mention of Loki’s name for forever. Only occasionally.

But he had promised Natasha honesty.

Clint threw on a sweatshirt over his pajama pants and a pair of fuzzy socks and texted her a quick Any chance you’re awake? on his way to the elevator.

She called him back midway to her floor and skipped past the formalities. “How bad was it?”

He tightly chuckled and wryly shook his head despite knowing she couldn’t see it. “You really sure you can assume why I’m texting you?”

“Reaching out at four in the morning the day right after Thor came back and mentioned Loki? I feel fairly secure in my assumption.” She went quiet for a moment before speaking again, and from a rustle of sheets in the background he guessed she had put him on speaker. “Should I be expecting you or should I just expect over the phone?”

“I’m exiting on your floor, so, uh, I hope it’s okay to come to you.”

“I surprise you enough, you really should do the same to me more often.” Natasha stepped out of her bedroom in a shirt and shorts pajama combo and made eye contact with him before hanging up the call. “Do you want something to eat?”

“Uh, sure.” Clint shoved his phone into his sweatshirt pocket and followed to her kitchen. “Were you sleeping?”

“Mmhmm,” she hummed while pulling a storage container of food out of the fridge. “I don’t have you on silent.”

He awkwardly ran a hand through his hair. “Sorry.”

Natasha turned and fixed him with a frown after shifting a curl out of her face. “Don’t be. You know I would avoid you if I wanted to.” She waited for only a half second before opening the cupboard with her dishes and adding, “Would you mind starting some coffee?”

“On it.” Clint slipped around her to start prepping a pot of coffee before glancing over at what she was doling out into two bowls from the storage container and making a small confused noise. “I’m sorry, what the hell is that?”

“Frog eye salad.” She rolled her eyes. “I thought Americans liked dessert salads.”

“Sure, I’ve seen plenty of jello salads, but that’s… what’s the round piece and why is it called a frog eye salad?” He suspiciously eyed Natasha. “I need comfort, not some nightmare inducing food.”

She stuck her tongue out at him. “Try it first, I’ll tell you after. But no one’s really sure why it’s called a frog eye salad.”

“Uhuh,” Clint flatly said while casting the bowls a wary look. “Will you at least tell me where you heard about it and why you decided to make it?”

“I’m borrowing some of the older cookbooks from the library, and it seemed like it might be interesting.” Natasha stuck the main container of the frog eye salad back in the fridge before folding her arms at Clint. “I promise this is not a case of me trying to feed you something I already know you won’t like. And we’re a long ways past my experimentation phase with cooking.”

He guffawed. “Maybe, now you’ve got me wondering…”

“It’s not hiding any inopportune vegetables.” She pursed her lips. “Try it.”

Clint reached for the closest bowl and waited for Natasha to hand him a spoon before digging in, his expression unchanging as he chewed the first bite before giving a small nod as he finished. “That’s not half bad.” He quickly tacked on, “Not my favorite, but not terrible. So what are the round things?”

“Acini de pepe pasta.”

His eyes curiously widened. “Seriously? Pasta dessert salad?”

Something akin to proud delight danced in Natasha’s eyes. “And for breakfast.”

“Part of breakfast,” he amended. “Don’t tell me this is all the nutrition you’ve been getting in the most important meal of the day lately.” With his spoon he pointed at her untouched bowl and raised an eyebrow. “You do eat it, right?”

“Happily.” She picked her bowl up and started spooning out a bite, eating it before continuing, her voice dry. “I thought I was well past having to prove that I could adequately feed myself, Barton.” A grumpy note underlaid her tone.

“I’m not contesting that, just checking specifically for this stuff.” He took another bite. “Seems like a pretty full container.”

“The pasta only came last night.”

“So we both came in blind?”

She shrugged. “It was a safe bet. And if we didn’t like it I was just going to stick it in the communal fridge.” Natasha broke into a smirk. “Unless if you think we should definitely introduce it to Thor by playing up the name?”

Clint warmly chuckled. “I’m sure we could convince Darcy into helping.” As the coffee pot beeped he turned to take out the pot as Natasha pushed the mugs closer. “That is actually a really tempting idea.”

“We’ll think about it.” She waited until they had both finished off their bowl of the salad and started on their respective coffees before nodding in the direction of the couch. “You ready to talk about it?”

“Do you want the nitty gritty or the overview?”

She arched an eyebrow at him as she settled, tucking her legs up underneath her and cradling her coffee mug in both hands. “Which are you going to be more comfortable with?”

“Er, we’ll see.” Clint drew one of his legs up as he sat beside her and took a deep breath. “Uh, so I had a nightmare about Loki. Everyone was assembled watching Raiders like last night, being all comfortable and friendly before Jane got a notification about the Bifrost. We all went up to the roof and, uh, found a murdered Thor with Loki.” He took another deep breath. “He was focused on me and I couldn’t move while everyone else took a go at him, but he just pushed everyone aside with ease and then he…” His voice faltered and he looked down as he trailed off.

Natasha leaned closer and put one hand on his nearest knee, her expression gentle. “Clint-.”

“He was going to kill you,” he tightly whispered, his gaze distant, “and I couldn’t do anything in time to stop it.” Tears unexpectedly sprung to his eyes. “I couldn’t do anything,” he repeated, his voice barely audible.

She securely set her coffee aside and put one arm around his waist while leaning the side of her head against his shoulder. “We’re okay.”

He let out a half bitter, half awkward chuckle. “You sure about that?”

“Not in that way. Just the nightmares are terrible but they’re not real way.” She paused for a second as Clint inhaled. “We’re going to be okay.”

He leaned his head against hers and swallowed. “I know it makes sense why, but I was hoping it wasn’t going to be this… bad.”

“Working through shit never makes sense.”

“I mean, yeah, I just… it’s not easy.”

“Never is,” Natasha absentmindedly murmured, prompting both of them to quietly sit for several moments before she adjusted her arm around him. “Did I at least try to kill him back?”

“Wholeheartedly.”

A corner of her mouth pulled up in a brief, sharp smile. “Good.”

They sat in content silence for several moments before Natasha pulled away to snag another sip from her coffee, prompting Clint to do the same before he asked, “Have you been doing alright?”

Natasha elected to curiously frown at him over her mug. “Why?”

“Just wondering.” Clint shrugged with a sympathetic smile. “I know we regularly go through a lot and there has been plenty of good too lately, but there’s still been… a lot.”

“That’s an understatement,” she blithely said before sobering her voice and expression. “I’m doing well. Still adjusting in some ways but it’s more comfortable than I had honestly anticipated. And you’re in a good spot, so that’s an alleviated concern.”

“I’m worried what talking to Thor is going to stir up,” he blurted out, letting a note of anxiety pass over his features. “I know it comes and goes and I’m just actively being reminded and it is still not that long ago in all actuality, but I was doing better. Or I thought I was.”

“It takes time,” Natasha gently reminded, both of them fully aware of how often they had repeated the line to each other. She cocked her head to the side. “But shitty as the nightmares are, they’re still a chance to imagine stabbing Loki through the eye.”

He nodded in her direction while polishing off his coffee. “Next time.”

“Do you want more salad?”

Cint groaned. “We are not actually calling that a salad. It’s a dessert at best.”

“Technically it’s a pasta salad.” Teasing delight danced in Natasha’s eyes. “But yes or no to more?”

“I’ll have some more if I can make us some pancakes too and we can at least be semi-nutritional and well-rounded.”

She shrugged while pushing off the couch. “Go ahead. I have a mix in the far left cupboard.”

“How many do you want?” Clint asked while beelining to deposit his mug in the dishwasher before starting for the appropriate cupboard.

“A couple, please.”

“As you wish.”

Natasha couldn’t help smiling to herself while preemptively pulling out two plates and the according forks before brushing past him with a brief touch to his elbow. “I’ll be back in a second, just going to get dressed.”

“Promise I’m not going anywhere,” he lightly said as he measured out the pancake mix. When Natasha came back out he was stirring the batter and glanced up at her. “Are you hiding your spatula or am I going blind?”

“I moved it to the island.” She walked over and pulled the spatula out of the appropriate drawer. “It fit better.”

“I’m just glad I’m not actually going blind.”

“That would severely impact your usefulness as a sniper, let alone any other field operations,” she flatly remarked before breaking into a smirk as Clint sighed and shook his head at her.

“Y’know,” he wryly replied, “sometimes a guy just wants to feel valued for more than his tactical usefulness and sharpshooting.”

“Pancakes always taste better when you make them.”

Clint snorted. “Now you’re just flattering me.”

She held up both hands in an innocent gesture. “I can’t explain it, but they do. And I’ve tried to find an exception many times.”

“Nat?”

“Mmm?” she hummed while leaning against the counter beside him.

Clint cast her an affectionate smile. “Thanks for calming me down.”

“It’s the Romanoff touch.”

She couldn’t help a grin as he threw his head back in laughter before gesturing at Natasha with the mixing spoon. “See, I knew you thought that was a good turn of phrase!”

Notes:

Unrelated to the story itself, I'm not currently anticipating any interruptions to my weekly posting schedule but it is busy season for my work and I've got a few other time intensive things I'm juggling right now, so it's possible there might be a pause in updating, but in the event of that happening I promise it won't be long before we're back on track!

Chapter Text

Clint had purposefully brought a pencil along to give him something to absentmindedly fiddle with while sitting down to talk with Thor.

They had elected to use the privacy of his living area, allowing Clint to quietly recognize some of the personalized touches Tony had evidently tried to implement on everyone’s floor.

He was also willing to bet there was some Ikea furniture somewhere in the area just for fun, but still. It was a nice gesture of Tony’s immediate care for his teammates, looking out for trying to make them comfortable as best he guessed how before inviting them to make changes at will.

If there were any future chances of hanging out on Thor’s floor though, Clint hoped he kept the super comfortable couches.

Especially when he wasn’t worried about the serious conversation ahead while sitting on them.

Thor’s demeanor didn’t look to be lightening anytime soon as he started to speak after Clint settled into his seat across from him. “Forgive me for how uncomfortable this may be, but I need to speak with you concerning Loki.”

“I figured,” Clint half sighed while bouncing the eraser end of the pencil against the top of his left thigh. “More about him or what happened?”

“Concerning Loki’s actions here on Midgard and with you specifically.” Thor paused for a moment and sympathetically furrowed his brow. “But first, how are you faring, Clint?”

“To what extent?”

“Overall you seem to be doing well, better, ah, than Selvig certainly,” Thor said with a brief glance downward, “yet it was quite an ordeal.”

Clint slightly nodded. “Uh, yeah, that’s one way to put it.” He flipped the pencil through his fingers before continuing to tap it against his thigh. “But most days are good. Still some moments with nightmares and there are a lot of bad memories that aren’t going anywhere, but it feels like the worst of my reaction I’ve worked through now.”

“That is a good to hear.” A clearly visible note of relief filtered through Thor’s expression. “Are you comfortable discussing the events that occurred with Loki?”

“Don’t know how much more insight I could give into anything, but I’m not going to start screaming or run away at the first mention, if that’s what you’re asking,” Clint drily commented.

Talking about the strict events wouldn’t be bad. About his resulting feelings? That could get into trying to avoid mentioning casually entertaining violent thoughts about Loki territory.

Luckily Thor didn’t seem perturbed by the tone of Clint’s response and continued without so much as a blink. “Before I continue, I would like to make it abundantly clear that the severity of Loki’s assault here on Midgard is entirely being considered in dealing with him-.”

“But?”

Thor continued without a pause. “It is not as simple a matter of the Allfather declaring judgement and having him thrown in the dungeon, and that is for more than the planned future involvement of SHIELD and the Avengers. Loki is… his mind was and remains far afield, and we are trying to reach him to understand what happened prior to Midgard while ensuring he faces consequences for his actions.”

Clint stopped bouncing the pencil. “I can’t say that I entirely understand it, but I get that there’s plenty of years of history before what we saw that give you a different vantage point.” He hesitated for a half second before exhaling and adding on, “And I’m not going to backtrack on admitting that there was something he was nervous about, but it shouldn’t be surprising that I’m not going to be particularly sympathetic towards him.”

“I would not expect such,” Thor gently said. “For all that he is my brother, I will freely admit that he has committed grievous acts. None of that is easily dismissed.”

“Can I ask something, real quick?” Clint slightly cocked his head to the side as he spoke.

Thor waved a hand for him to continue. “Of course.”

“Is he still talking about feeling like he was meant to rule the planet? Or along the lines of any of that being particularly power hungry? Since beside all the frustration after we stopped him and the Chitauri, I’d swear he was almost fractionally relieved, whatever that means.”

“He speaks very little of substance, in truth, depending on the mood he is in. But from what we have gathered…” Thor’s expression momentarily darkened as he frowned. “I wanted to ask you if there was anything more you could say regarding the being who gave Loki the scepter.”

“Uh, lemme think.” Clint again started tapping the pencil on his thigh. “Someone powerful who was really the one providing the Chitauri. There were a few times Loki would, er, apparently communicate with the being or someone speaking for it and he’d come away a little shaken. I never got much in particulars, only a general sense of someone else’s influence being there too.”

“Even that is useful information, thank you.”

“So,” Clint asked after a beat of silence, “you said you have a trial system on Asgard? I assume you’re collecting more evidence and testimony than your first one, now that you’re back?”

“Somewhat. I, ah, am not familiar enough with a Midgardian trial to speak to any key differences.” Thor paused for a beat. “If it concerns you, however, I can reassure that you do not personally have to speak in front of Loki. It was deemed appropriate that I relay your words when the time comes, unless if you would personally desire to speak.”

Clint did his best to hide the shiver that ran up his spine and tried to play it off with a far too tight chuckle. “Yeah, I think I can pass on public speaking in front of Asgard, but thanks.”

The look Thor cast him showed all too well that he figured Clint was less blasé than he sounded, only intensified by the shadow of concern that fell across his expression. “Would you be comfortable discussing the details of Loki’s arrival here to Midgard and your time spent, ah, under his influence? I know that it is not-.”

“I can talk about it,” Clint flatly interrupted. “Do you want me to just start from whatever I can think of or is there something you specifically want to ask about?”

“We can start with his arrival. I know that you were guarding the facility where SHIELD was investigating the Tesseract, and that he somehow used it from afar as a means of creating a portal to Midgard.”

Clint nodded and took a deep breath. “Yeah. Joint Dark Energy Mission facility, just another day there until the Tesseract started putting off some strange readings. The scientists quickly figured that it wasn’t something happening directly from our end, we were starting to theorize options when the Tesseract reacted and opened up the portal.” A shadow fell over his expression. “Loki came through and immediately murdered the first agents to approach him, started blasting with the scepter and attacking everyone in the vicinity. He, uh, used the scepter on me and a few others before Fu- Director Fury attempted to keep him occupied as the portal weakened the building structure. Loki ordered me to shoot Fury and we started to leave.”

A note of surprise flashed through Thor’s eyes. “How did he survive?”

“I shot him in the chest. Loki didn’t specify how to kill him and he wasn’t far enough in my head then to know that I knew Fury’s always wearing a bulletproof vest just in case.” A short, dark chuckle escaped Clint. “One little rebellion I was actually able to pull off.”

“It is hardly little to save a life,” Thor gently said.

“We’ll just keep on trading that favor around.” Clint cleared his throat before Thor could ask anything and continued. “Loki wanted us on the move, we left the JDEM facility before it collapsed despite Hill’s best efforts to stop us and I took us to the closest safehouse. He started asking about SHIELD, where to get more people and resources, got Selvig started on the beginnings of the device he needed for the Tesseract. From there I identified a good smaller SHIELD base close by to target and reached out to some of SHIELD’S enemies, got us some people Loki didn’t have to directly control.” Clint shrugged with one shoulder. “Not too much to say beyond that before Stuttgart, besides him interrogating me about anything he wanted.”

“How much did he ask about?”

“Everything,” Clint said, his voice significantly more bitter than he had intended and his grip tightening on the pencil in a way that likely threatened its structural integrity. “Probably not a surprise to you that he can be very thorough.”

Thor somberly nodded. “He certainly can be,” he quietly said, his gaze briefly going distant.

After a moment Clint cautiously asked, “Not that I can recount word by word or anything, but is it, uh, important to hear more specifically what he was getting at? Or just that it was a mix of business for his interests and getting at some super personal things? I talked about a few things in what I’ve written about the situation, but nothing too in depth.” And a little more in his psych reports, but he wasn’t going to volunteer even that much more information unless if Thor really needed it.

“There is no need for all the details,” Thor reassured. “Especially if you would not oppose my reading what you have written?”

“I’ll get them to you.”

“May I ask for any of your perspective on what Loki was like while…” Thor halted, clearly searching for the right word before settling on, “influencing you?”

Yup, he’d seen that one coming.

Clint consciously resisted a sigh. “Once he tapped that scepter to my chest, it was like he pulled me out, stuffed some puppet version of me back in who desperately wanted to make him happy, do what he wanted.” He sharply inhaled. “There was still a conscious part of me who was vaguely aware of what was happening, like with Fury, but he also shoved that part away easily. But Loki… he wanted these perfect little servants to do whatever he asked and want to do it out of some… I don’t know, care for him. He wanted attention just for him, something to make him feel important and valued.”

There was a slew of emotions that washed over Thor’s expression as Clint spoke, changing from something concerned and sympathetic to frustration into some mixture of empathy and an almost forlorn sadness.

Clint opted not to interrupt the silence that had settled before Thor started to speak in response.

“For whatever it may be worth, I am truly sorry that you had to face Loki’s misplaced anger in this way,” he carefully began. “Asgard’s faults should not have become Midgard’s problems.”

“For what it’s worth back, I really appreciate you being decently transparent about what’s happening as far as Loki. It’s… nice to have something for some reassurance that he’s not just waltzing off into the sunset.”

Thor broke into a tentative smile. “Then I am glad to be of at least some assistance.”

“Don’t take what he did too hard on yourself.” Clint twirled the pencil through his fingers. “He made his choices, we responded as best we could. Best we can do now is work forward.”

After a beat of silence Thor remarked, “You are a wise friend to have around, Clint.”

He couldn’t resist a faint chuckle. “Thanks for the compliment.”

A small note of bemused concern fell across Thor’s expression. “I promise I do not speak in jest.”

“No, I just… thanks. Wise isn’t the descriptor I usually get, but I’ll take it.” Clint cleared his throat. “Anything else you want to ask about?”

“Nothing more for the moment, but I must reiterate that I appreciate your time and willingness in assisting with these matters.”

“And anything unrelated to Loki you’ve got questions for or about as you settle in?”

“Ah, I do not believe so at the moment.” Thor adopted a cheery smile. “But I will certainly reach out if anything comes to mind.”

Chapter 24

Notes:

Sorry about the delay in getting this chapter up, it's definitely been a busy couple of weeks lately!
Now off to some official Avengers business! :)

Chapter Text

“We really need to get ourselves one of these Quinjets,” Tony remarked as one settled on the Tower’s landing pad. “Rebrand it for the Avengers though. Maybe even rename it into something a little catchier.”

“There’s a conversation,” Clint amusedly said.

Maria had broached the topic of a potential operation for the Avengers to Natasha, and the team had agreed to hear it out. They were responding to a report of a terror cell in rural Turkey with a rumored Ten Rings connection. The intel for the rumor seemed highly questionable at best, but recent events especially necessitated checking it out. Worst case scenario, they would only be addressing a terror cell, best case scenario they got something more on the plans of the Ten Rings.

The plan was for everyone to be involved, though Bruce was going to help run coordination and supervision with the SHIELD agents who had been tasked on performing recon in the area. He was hesitant for Hulk to join in on something as sensitive as a guided operation, but did still want to be involved.

The team approached the Quinjet as the bay opened, followed by a blonde SHIELD agent walking to the base of the ramp to greet them.

“We shouldn’t be too long,” she advised, “there’s a storm coming in we’ll want to stay ahead of.”

“We’ll be quick,” Steve said with a nod while Thor turned and curiously eyed the horizon.

Clint nodded at the agent with the beginnings of a little teasing smile. “What’d you do to get stuck with us?”

“Hey,” Tony started to say, “don’t say that like we’re a punishment, Barton.”

The agent seemed to mostly ignore Tony and shrugged at Clint. “Hill asked if I’d be interested, I said yes. Simple as that.”

“If there’s history behind why we’re asking this, I want to hear it,” Tony quickly said with a side glance at Clint.

He opened his mouth only to sigh as Natasha nonchalantly cut him off. “Bobbi is Clint’s ex-wife.”

Tony’s mouth dropped open while Bruce and Steve blinked in near unison and Thor curiously frowned with a glance between Clint and Natasha.

Bobbi arched an eyebrow at Natasha. “Only partially.”

“One time undercover we were acting as a married couple,” Clint hurriedly explained. “It’s really not that exciting, Nat just loves to tease about it.”

She innocently shrugged. “You always react so well.” Natasha started to head to the front of the Quinjet. “But we do need to be on our way.”

Tony held out a hand. “One quick question, is there a marriage license actually out there? I know it’d be a forgery, but still.”

“Maybe still under different names in Boise,” Bobbi replied. “Clean up is usually very thorough though.”

“It’s not as though it’d be valid under fake identities, Tony,” Bruce said while tentatively stepping into the Quinjet.

“I know, but this is unexpected.”

“Indeed,” Thor murmured, mostly to himself.

Steve cleared his throat and adopted the tone of his leader voice. “More importantly, we have a mission to be focused on right now and a time frame to keep.”

Clint and Bobbi joined Natasha in the cockpit to prep for takeoff while everyone else buckled into seats in the bay and Tony started up a conversation.

In the midst of confirming air permissions, Natasha asked Bobbi, “Are you interested in a book club?”

Bobbi questioningly arched an eyebrow at her with a sideways glance. “I don’t know that I can be consistent for one. Why?”

Natasha wryly smiled. “I convinced Maria into joining one with me.” She paused for a half second before continuing. “It’s fun, actually. A semi-public group, interesting company, good conversation. I can’t attest to the consistent quality of the books chosen yet, but it seems like the ladies in charge choose well.”

“Is that what you were doing the other night with Pepper and Happy?” Clint asked. “You didn’t mention Maria was going to be there too.”

“I wasn’t certain she was going to be able to make it before I left.” Natasha flipped a switch on the panel above her head with a nod towards Bobbi. “Why, did you have something you wanted me to pass along?”

“No,” Clint said with a small shake of his head, “it’s just good to know that she’s making time to relax again.”

Bobbi eased the Quinjet into taking off. “You’ve all made some changes since New York.”

“Thanks for noticing my haircut,” Clint blithely remarked.

She frowned but kept her gaze focused on the horizon. “I’m not expecting a full debriefing on events, but can we at least acknowledge this new team? This is a significant development.”

“It’s been a pleasant surprise,” Natasha agreed.

Bobbi let a beat of silence pass before adding, “I will ask for one good story.”

Clint quietly chuckled. “Just keep it confidential, Morse.”

She nodded back. “Spy’s honor.”

“Okay, let me set the scene…”

--

With only a few interruptions primarily from Tony en route and a mild complaint from Thor at how long the Quinjet took to travel, the flight to the rendezvous site with the other SHIELD agents went over smoothly.

With everyone else in field position after a final briefing, Bruce had quickly integrated himself with the other agents supervising the operation and was the only one Tony trusted to also have access to the feed from the suit.

“You seeing what I’m seeing?” Tony eventually asked over the comms as he flew almost directly above the cell’s reported base.

“Yes, we’re looking at the same thing,” Bruce drily replied.

Tony half sighed, half scoffed. “Yeah, but that.”

“Elaborate, Stark, most of us aren’t seeing what you’re seeing,” Natasha pointedly interjected from where she was crouched beside Bobbi and Steve behind some natural rock cover on the nearby hillside.

“I’m running some scans, looks like the building occupants are pretty clustered in one room. Not exactly sure what they’re doing, but they are moving around each other in the room. Looks like ten people. Externally there are two guards doing the rounds, that’s all for the outside security.”

“Internally, do they look to be arming themselves?” one of the supervising agents asked.

“It’s just heat signatures, hard to tell some of what they’re interacting with,” Bruce replied.

“Thor, you mind giving us a distraction, see what they do?” Steve suggested after a brief pause.

“With pleasure.”

Across from the hillside, Clint backed up from beside Thor as he went airborne with an easy swing of Mjolnir, watching him for a second before focusing back on the base. “Want us moving closer in the meantime, Cap?”

“As long as we’re not tipping off the guards.”

“Copy that.”

The wispy white clouds overhead quickly transformed into a dark grey mass brimming with lightning, all of it focused on Thor as he dove at the ground just outside the base, making a small crater on impact with an accompanying booming sound.

Tony quietly chuckled. “That got their attention.” He started to casually descend towards the base. “Hey Thor, you mind if I- shit!” He stopped at the sound of a proximity alarm and dodged out of the way of a rocket projectile before whirling to find its point of origin on the hillside.

Agent Williams, one of the supervising SHIELD agents, beat him to talking about it. “We’ve got assailants on the road up on the hillside, unknown number. At least one possesses a rocket launcher, looks like they were heading back in a military grade cargo truck to the base.”

“We’ll take care of them too.” Steve defensively raised the shield and started running towards the truck before Bobbi or Natasha could say anything.

They exchanged a mildly exasperated look before following, picking their path a bit more carefully for what natural cover was available and waiting to see the response to Steve’s charge.

“Remember we need at least some of them to talk,” Bobbi reminded over the comms, specifically eyeing Tony as he flew in the direction of the van.

Tony kept on coming over the sounds of Thor fighting. “I’m just scaring them out for you.”

The individual in the passenger seat shot at Steve, all the bullets uselessly bouncing off the shield as he approached and pulled the door open as the individual tossed the gun aside once the magazine was spent.

They started to say something, interrupted by Steve tugging them out of the seat and onto the ground.

Tony aimed lasers from the suit in a quick swipe through the canvas covering just behind the driver and passenger seats and started on a parallel swipe a mere inch away to the sound of panicked yelps from inside the back of the truck as its occupants rushed out.

“There you go,” Tony proudly said before adding, “Thor, Barton, you leaving something for me to help with back there?”

“Gonna have to hurry up,” Clint replied, his voice not at all betraying that he was actively shooting net arrows at the people Thor wasn’t directly engaged in fighting. “You’re missing out on all the fun.”

Tony only hesitated long enough to make sure that Natasha and Bobbi were successfully starting to take on the five individuals from the back of the truck before flying towards Thor.

Natasha took one down with a Widow’s Bite and took advantage of the moment of distraction it caused for the person beside them while aiming to knock their forearm up with her elbow before grabbing around their arm and yanking, pulling their shoulder out of the socket. She followed with a sharp kick into their side before twisting to knock their feet out from underneath and cartwheeling up to knock the gun out of the next individual’s hand with another kick.

Bobbi had pulled two staves from a holder on her back and smacked one under the third individual’s wrists as they attempted to aim at Natasha, knocking their arms up and prompting a misfire.

“Morse!” Natasha called over.

With only a glance over to see that the one Natasha had secondarily kicked was bent over forwards, Bobbi rolled across their back and solidly kicked the fourth individual in the head to knock them down to the ground.

Steve came up to ram his shield into the bent over individual, the impact sending them sprawling with a groan.

The fifth individual from the back of the truck had gotten into exchanging close blows with Natasha and fired a shot that glanced off her Bites, earning a small annoyed hiss from her as they ominously crackled before going out.

She got a solid enough grip to twist the fifth individual’s arm behind them while noticing the driver attempting to stealthily advance towards her.

Noticing that her free arm was the one with the broken Bites, Bobbi called back, “Widow!” and tossed her a stave.

Natasha effortlessly caught it and almost instantly threw it to smack the driver right under their chin, knocking their head back with a choked sound.

While Steve started over to make sure the driver was fully downed, Natasha punched the individual she held unconscious and let them drop before joining Bobbi in securing the wrists of the half unconscious, half groaning people they had taken out.

“Got anything left for us over there?” Tony asked over the comms.

“Situation is contained.” Bobbi nodded at Steve as he politely handed her stave back. “We’re cleaning up.”

“Same here.” Clint waited for a beat before adding, “What’s the state of your people? Some of ours are a bit… very unconscious.”

Bobbi faintly huffed. “Ours are better then.”

“My apologies,” Thor mildly said.

“As long as they can talk eventually,” Natasha dismissively said. “But if you can spare anyone from cleaning up, someone mind starting to investigate the building?”

Tony immediately replied. “On it. Bruce, keep your eyes peeled.”

Steve cleared his throat. “Stark, you mind describing what you find as you see it for the benefit of the rest of us?”

“Just try to keep the comms mostly clear, necessary communication only,” Williams quickly reminded.

“I’ll try not to ramble,” Tony drily said.

Natasha suggested putting all six individuals from the truck into the back and taking them to the rest at the base for easier transportation before Tony started saying anything more.

“There’s a substantial mini armory in here and it was clearly used as a communal living space. Nothing too exciting just yet.”

After a momentary pause Bruce asked, “Can you get a closer look at that board to the right?”

“I’m getting JARVIS to run translation… unless if a grocery list is code for something, sounds like that’s just planning for their next trip into town. And before any SHIELD folks ask, I’m sending you a picture right now. Translate away.”

“Any signs of tech?” Clint asked.

“A couple TVs, I’m keeping an eye out for the computers and anything fancier.” Tony made a little excited sound. “Found a few laptops, taking those for the road.”

Bobbi had taken the driver’s seat and arched an eyebrow at Natasha in the passenger seat while briefly turning off her comm. “Is he always like this?”

“Mostly.” Natasha waited for a second before turning her comm back on. “Williams, how far out is your extraction for interrogation?”

“Agents Okazaki and Maslany will meet you in about ten minutes for exchange.”

“Copy that.”

Before Bobbi had fully parked in the yard outside the base, Natasha hopped out and headed for where Clint and Thor were keeping an eye over the individuals they had taken out, several of whom were contained in nets.

Clint instinctively looked her over and curiously frowned at her broken Bites. “What happened?”

“Only an errant bullet.”

A further note of concern crossed his expression. “You’re saying that very dismissively, but…”

“It wasn’t a close call,” she reassured, paired with a look that asked him to wait before inquiring further.

“I’ve got the laptops and some flash drives,” Tony informed over the comms. “I’m not seeing anything else interesting visually or through my scans, but if someone else really wants to do their own walkthrough I promise not to be too hurt.”

“We’ll walk through for our own procedures,” Bobbi said as she walked around to the back of the truck to address Steve as he sat to guard everyone inside. “You have an opinion on whether we keep everyone in here or get them outside to wait for extraction?”

He nodded at her. “We can start to get everyone outside.”

Thor and Steve took the lead on transferring everyone to Okazaki and Maslany’s transport once they arrived before Bobbi and the Avengers opted to use the truck to drive back to the Quinjet, with the exception of Thor and Tony opting to fly back instead.

Tony only communicated to the Avengers on the way. “The mostly good news is that there doesn’t look to be a Ten Rings connection here.”

“I’d wait after interrogation to say that,” Clint started to say in reply. “Ten Rings isn’t exactly one to leave business cards where they’ve been.”

Mild annoyance filtered across Tony’s voice. “I know, but there still are some indications that weren’t there.”

Steve cleared his throat. “Whatever we find out, this was at least a successful operation without significant incident. That’s a good sign for everyone involved.”

“Thor looks like he’s got something to ask that he just doesn’t want to ask while actively flying, just so you all know. He’s- hold on, we’re definitely racing. JARVIS, give me more juice!”

Clint smirked at Natasha. “I’m betting on Thor.”

“Barton, I can still hear you!”

He unapologetically chuckled in response, and only continued as Thor cheekily informed that he had in fact won the unofficial race.

A couple minutes of silence seemed to indicate that Thor and Tony were talking with themselves while waiting for the truck to arrive.

Steve and Bobbi were the first out and were instantly greeted by Tony.

“Just for the record, he’s speedier than you think, that hammer is no joke.” His face plate slid up to show his concern as he pointed at Natasha’s broken Bites while she and Clint walked up. “What happened there?”

She shrugged. “They took a hit.”

“Do you have a backup? Do you need any help fixing them up?”

“We can talk.”

Bobbi started opening the Quinjet and spoke over her shoulder. “You should be flattered, Nat’s particular about her Bites.”

“And I haven’t agreed to anything yet,” she pointedly added.

Tony pointed at her. “But you’re seriously considering it. I am flattered for that.”

Bobbi quietly chuckled as the bay opened and started inside as soon as it was low enough to safely step into. “Loading up now,” she called while turning her comm back on. “Dr. Banner, as soon as you’re ready.”

“Uh, I’ll be right out, give me a second.”

“Take as long as you need.”

Tony made a thoughtful sound. “Hold on, I’m coming to help make sure everything’s disconnected properly.”

Everyone settled back into their same seats as for flying out and waited with casual conversation for Bruce and Tony to come back before taking off back to the Tower. The flight was punctuated by updates on the intake process for everyone from the cell base, with no indications of anything related to the Ten Rings in the initial conversations, much to Tony’s admitted relief.

As they approached the outskirts of Manhattan, Bobbi cleared her throat loud enough to only catch Clint and Natasha’s attention. “I know we’re all mostly busy in separate directions, but all the old favors still apply even if you’re not actively SHIELD. Just ask and I’ll help if I can.”

Clint somberly nodded. “Right back at you.”

“No guarantees on getting any Stark tech though, but we’d see what we can do if needed,” Natasha lightheartedly said.

Bobbi slightly shook her head with a little laugh. “I might just have to concoct a reason to pay you a personal visit sometime, get a tour of the place.”

“If nothing else, book club is still on the table.”

“I’ll keep you posted.” Bobbi smirked at Clint. “What about you, have you recently picked up any new interesting activities?”

He shrugged. “Eh, nothing particularly exciting. Picked up a couple TV shows just because I’ve got the spare time, been doing some tinkering with Tony. Ooh, been casually picking up some video games, checking some books off my own reading list, just not with a book club. Nothing too fancy.”

“He says with personal access to Tony Stark’s workshop,” Natasha teased.

“I’m being humble.”

Bobbi broke into an easy laugh, continuing as Tony loudly called up, “So what’s the joke?”

“Sorry, that’s confidential!” Clint called back with a laugh of his own.

Bruce and Thor were the first off the Quinjet once they had reached the Tower, politely thanking Bobbi before heading off to the lower levels. Tony followed only a few steps behind while Steve came up to the cockpit.

“Thanks for all your help today, Agent Morse. We really appreciated it,” he seriously said while extending a hand for her to shake.

She shook it with a polite smile. “Happy to do my job.”

“I think we can all say that we’ll keep you in mind if we ever want a specific SHIELD agent to work with.” Steve cleared his throat before she could reply. “Have a safe flight back to base.” He walked away immediately after.

Clint chuckled as he was out of earshot while Natasha openly smirked and leaned slightly closer to Bobbi. “Should your real ex-husband be jealous?”

“No,” Bobbi firmly replied, holding the word for a moment. “Even if that is not Rogers just being polite, there’s not anything there.” She arched an eyebrow. “And when did you become such a seeming matchmaker?”

“For some reason she thinks Steve’s lonely,” Clint wryly said as he unbuckled.

“We are his only friends,” Natasha started to say as she stood from her seat, “otherwise he mostly sticks to himself, and everyone else he knew is either dead or old enough to not be up to much. He may put on an air of being more well adjusted than he is, but he’s not emotionally invulnerable.”

“He’s a work in progress,” Clint agreed before nodding at Bobbi. “But just adding on to Steve, thanks for everything. You’re great as usual, Bobbi.”

“I appreciate the flattery.” She unbuckled to stand and prompt Natasha to pause on her way out. “There’s one thing I want to talk to you about quickly.”

Clint waved as he stepped out. “I hear you, I’m out.”

Natasha had curiously arched an eyebrow at Bobbi but waited for Clint to be out of the Quinjet before saying anything. “Are you about to tell me there was a spark between you and Steve?”

“No,” Bobbi repeated with a little eye roll. “No.” She glanced at the open bay to double check that Clint had left as concern fell across her expression. “I’ve only heard so much of what happened, but I think I know enough to figure that Clint was put through some hell. He seems to be doing well and I know he wouldn’t be in the field if he wasn’t feeling better, but just as his friend… is he okay?”

“There are still moments, but overall he’s handled it very well. He’s okay.”

“And you?”

“I’m glad I have him back.” Natasha casually shrugged with one shoulder. “It was a tense time, but we’re here now.”

Bobbi supportively smiled. “Keep on looking out for each other, Natasha.”

She nodded back and left the Quinjet before pausing at the end of the bay ramp to look back. “Bobbi?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re certain about Steve?” Natasha seriously asked.

Bobbi laughed and waved her away. “Yeah, that’s still a no. You’ll have to matchmake somewhere else.”

Natasha stepped out of the Quinjet and called, “Book club’s still on the table.”

“I’ll think about it!”

Chapter 25

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Team training was cut short by JARVIS informing of a new Mandarin bombing, prompting everyone to reconvene in the war room.

JARVIS provided an effective briefing from a compilation of the available information before everyone sat in momentary silence, Bruce the first to break it.

“Is there anything we can do?” he quietly asked, his eyes glued to paused video footage of the aftermath.

“Other than some SI support to the area, until we can figure the why for their targets or they give us something to respond to otherwise, I genuinely don’t know,” Tony sighed as he anxiously drummed his fingers against the table.

Steve had crossed his arms and leaned slightly forward in his seat towards Tony. “Would it help to visit the site, see if there is anything that you can find personally?”

“Maybe,” he said with a frustrated exhale and open-handed shrug. “These have all been remarkably clean for a bombing. I’m a little cynical that I’ll be able to find something that everyone else missed after going over these scenes with a fine-tooth comb.”

Natasha fixed Tony with an appraising look. “Even so, would it help you feel like you can do something by trying?”

He hesitated before replying, “It might, actually.”

“I can accompany you,” Thor offered. “I may at least provide assistance in finding those who did this.”

“We can- hold on.” Tony pulled out his phone as it vibrated and held a hand up over to Thor while pushing back in his chair. “Rhodey’s calling, I’ll be back in a bit.” He held the phone up to his ear as he stepped out. “Hey, JARVIS told me what happened and we’re talking about it over here…”

Thor only waited a moment before looking around at everyone. “Perhaps now is not the best time, but I would also like to bring up the matter of potentially seeing Loki’s scepter.” He followed with a frown as everyone exchanged a look. “Has something happened?”

“We’re not exactly sure where it is,” Bruce cautiously admitted after a moment, his voice going nervously quiet.

Clint nodded as Thor questioningly looked at him and Natasha. “Last we know is that SHIELD has it, with Pierce’s team taking it from us. It may not mean anything, it could be suspicious, but there hasn’t exactly been any communication for just what’s been done with it beyond handing it off. We’re looking into it, but, uh, haven’t found much yet.”

Natasha cocked her head to the side. “It’s not completely surprising to be secretive about such a high value item, but the people involved are being… difficult. We found a memo that suggests Pierce’s unit gave it to a couple scientists to study, but that’s the only record of the scepter leaving their possession and anything with it since.”

“So we cannot trust in SHIELD then,” Thor flatly said, his expression clouded.

“It’s a bit more complicated than that, personally speaking,” Clint hurriedly said while exchanging a communicative glance with Natasha. “There are some, uh, interagency politics at play that are raising some questions.”

“I have my doubts about SHIELD’s intentions,” Steve interrupted in a serious tone, locking his eyes onto Thor’s, “but Director Fury and his close allies have been the only reason we’ve gotten the answer about the scientists. Putting at least some trust in him that he actually wants to help us seems to be in our best interest for now, unless we get see something to the contrary.”

Bruce slightly lifted his right hand as he cleared his throat. “Seconded.”

“Hmm.” Thor separately regarded each of them for a moment before continuing. “And what do you suppose may happen if I were to directly ask Pierce about the scepter?”

Natasha slightly inclined her head towards him in a little nod. “I’ll admit it could be enlightening.”

After a second Bruce chuckled with a rueful shake of his head. “If nothing else, it’s one of the last things anyone’s probably expecting even after potentially knowing you’re back.”

“And depending on how formal you want to be for asking him.” Clint faintly smiled. “I’ve gotta admit this idea is appealing.”

Steve glanced between Clint and Natasha, his brow curiously furrowed. “How strange do you think it would look for just Thor to finally reach out?”

“Well,” she drily started, “unless if we really want to encourage the response to Thor flying directly to the Triskelion and breaking into Pierce’s office, we would be better off casually opening a line of conversation first and building our way up to directly asking about the scepter.”

“Not that we don’t think you’d get a good reaction,” Clint added while holding a hand out to Thor. “It’s just not necessarily a get our answers right away kind of situation.”

He somberly nodded. “I understand. I cannot guarantee staying patient, but I can support a plan for the answers we seek.”

“Which we probably shouldn’t entirely work out without Tony,” Steve said with a glance at the door as if expecting to immediately summon Tony back by use of his name.

Clint nodded once at Steve. “Yeah, but right now I think he’d appreciate walking back to a half-formed plan about something other than a bombing though. And it’s not like it’s something we’re going to completely come up with right now either.”

Natasha pursed her lips for a half second before saying, “It should probably be you, Steve, that works Pierce.”

He blinked at her. “I’m not sure-.”

“You established yourself as a leading voice of reason in front of Rumlow and Rollins while Tony proved to be somewhat volatile, and Clint and I have the strain of past history if we were to take an approach with them. You’re the best choice.”

“Best choice for what?” Tony asked with a curious frown as he stepped back into the room, his phone still in hand.

Thor slightly cleared his throat. “I asked about Loki’s scepter and we are now discussing the beginnings of a plan for how to carefully discover its location.”

“Hopefully not purposefully without me.”

“No,” Steve reassured, “we’ll talk about it as a team, it just came up when you happened to be out.”

“Great to hear then.”

Bruce tried to catch Tony’s gaze. “Anything to share from Rhodey?”

“He didn’t say it was a bad idea for us to head over to the site, but recommends getting there quickly. He’ll pull some strings to try to keep some people out of our way, but he can’t guarantee anything.”

Clint pointedly cleared his throat. “Planning can wait in the meantime.”

“Right.” Tony jerked his head in a nod at Thor as he stood, one hand hovering over Mjolnir’s handle in anticipation. “Meet you on the balcony, I’ve just gotta grab a suit.” He waved a hand at everyone else while starting to walk backwards towards the door. “I’ll send an update if we find anything. Otherwise, don’t have too much fun without us!”

Below his breath, Clint chuckled and leaned slightly over to Natasha. “Got anything boring in mind?”

“I’ve got some dishes that need to be handwashed,” she wryly murmured back.

“Eh, that’s not so bad.” He leaned back to glance at Steve and Bruce. “Either of you got anything to add before we go our separate ways?”

Steve shook his head. “I’m fine with calling it a day for now. I imagine we might be back in here later anyhow.”

“Great.” Clint pushed his chair back and stood, Natasha following suit. “Well we’ll see you later then.”

--

With Natasha’s dishes taken care of after impulse smoothies, she and Clint decided to take to the shooting range, setting up in the lanes best suited for their preferred weapon.

“First one to mark an eight hit ‘H’ on the target gets lunch from the other sometime soon?” he suggested as they both pulled on ear protection.

“Can I raise it to dinner and dessert?”

“Sounds good.” Clint picked his bow up from its case. “Start on your mark?”

Natasha nodded and waited for both of them to stand in aiming positions before loudly saying, “Shoot when ready.”

The thunks of arrows hitting the target punctuated the sound of gunfire for several moments, followed by two final arrow thunks and an immediate groan from Clint.

“I almost had you.”

Natasha lightheartedly scoffed while sticking her Glock back into its holster. “Let’s at least check our handiwork before you attempt to brag.”

He chuckled while hitting the button to prompt his target towards him. “But hey, we know I’m good at this, it was my game to start.”

Both targets had the neat semblance of an uppercase ‘H’ spelled out in bullet holes and arrows, earning a small satisfied sound from Clint.

Natasha slightly tossed her head while looking at him with a smirk pulling at one side of her mouth. “I’ve got a couple dinner ideas in mind.”

“Yeah,” he nodded with a grin, “just let me know when you want to go.” He started pulling his arrows out of the target and sticking them back in his quiver. “Could be a nice plan of escape if we get annoyed with Tony or something.”

She quietly chuckled while starting to unclip her target. “Maybe.” After a second she held the target over to Clint with a teasingly raised eyebrow. “Still looking for some wall art, Hawkeye?”

He chuckled back. “Think I’m going for a slightly different aesthetic, but thanks.”

Natasha neatly folded the target into quarters before fixing Clint with a discerning look. “Can I ask your opinion on recent events, including Turkey and these bombings?”

“Don’t know that I’ve got anything too different from you for thoughts, but sure,” he said with a small shrug. “I can’t say I’m terribly surprised that Turkey didn’t actually end up being connected with the Ten Rings, and I don’t like that there’s not a lot of actionable information right now. Not that they’ve ever been one anyone’s had an abundance of intel on, but these bombings, and taking credit for them, is a bit of a surprise from them. And I don’t like that we’re stuck waiting for them to make more of a pointed move against Tony and maybe the Avengers as a whole.”

“Do you think the Avengers is why they’ve been targeting elsewhere?”

“Mmm, I don’t get why they wouldn’t at least aim closer even without being willing to directly come at us. But honestly, if you’ve got a bomb with no trace, nothing particularly detectable in advance, and that deals significant damage, why not try and get it close?”

Natasha nodded at him. “Unless if they don’t want to kill us.”

“Yeah, motivation’s just another uncertain element.” Clint sighed with a shake of his head. “I wish the usual intel channels had something more to give us. Too much more of this and Tony’s liable to do something rash and probably mildly disastrous.”
“I think having the team is helping.”

Clint arched an eyebrow. “But we’ve both seen how he’s increasingly tinkering away on new suit ideas?”

She slightly pursed her lips for a second with another nod. “Between the aliens and the Ten Rings, having the rest of us around is only doing so much to alleviate his fears.”

“Not like New York wasn’t just luck for us in some ways to help with that,” Clint moodily said, his vision briefly going distant.

Natasha’s gaze went soft with well held concern. “How much have you talked with each other?”

“He saw the full scale of the Chitauri army on the other side of the portal and it’s got him terrified that if they come back we don’t stand a chance. And it’s not something he’s eager to talk about in depth with everyone.” Clint slightly cocked his head to the side. “Do you know how much Pepper knows?”

“She knows he’s not being entirely forthcoming, but she also knows Tony well enough to figure he’s best not to push for talking about it.” Natasha paused for a moment before adding, “But she’s still plenty concerned.”

Clint sighed. “Just when I start to think everyone might be moderately well adjusted, something immediately comes along to remind me who we’re with.”

Natasha amusedly huffed. “Not in our line of work.”

“Yeah, but still. Sometimes it’s nice to forget that everyone else is just as fucked up for a bit.”

“Yeah,” she softly repeated before quietly clearing her throat. “You want to keep on shooting or relax a different way before Tony and Thor get back?”

“Eh,” Clint shrugged, “think I might watch a movie or something.” He took a step towards his bow case. “How about you?”

“I’ll shoot some more and then I might join you, if you wouldn’t mind?”

He supportively smiled at her, almost taken off guard by the subtle note of hesitation in her expression. Spending a significant chunk of casual time together was one of their things, he certainly didn’t think he’d done anything in recent times to indicate otherwise. “Of course. You’ve basically got a permanent standing reservation to my couch and everything else, Nat.”

Relief flashed across her features for a split second before they fell back into casual regard. “Don’t feel like you need to wait for me to start something fun in the meantime.”

“Just depends on whether we’re working from the same definition,” Clint lightheartedly teased while walking away.

--

While flying back, Tony updated the team on not having found anything new at the scene of the bombing between him and Thor before privately reaching out to Natasha, asking if she’d be willing to meet in his workshop.

“Any particular reason for the secrecy?” she asked from where she had casually settled on one of the stools as he walked in.

“Uh, didn’t particularly mean to be all cloak and daggers, just had a thought for your Bites en route and wanted to get your opinion before I think on it too much more.”

Natasha nodded. “I’m listening.”

“Great.” Tony beelined for his computer to pull up a holographic display of his initial scan of the Bites before starting to pull layers of it apart with hand movements. “Not only did I have an idea for how to pack a little more punch in the capacitators without any heat issues, but I think I’ve got your grappling line issue solved.” He pulled in a model grappling hook and slotted it into one of the Bite tubes. “I definitely want to do some tensile strength tests to triple check whether the line’s as durable as I think it should be at these dimensions, but I’m hopeful. And I’m confident in the hook design already.”

She stood and stepped closer to get a better look at the model. “What’s the release mechanism?”

“I was thinking of doubling up for that, having a trigger source down here,” he pointed to a spot at the external base of a tube, “if you’ve got the other hand free for it. And then we’ll work out the best spot to specifically stick the release for activating the grapple one handed, do enough test runs to be sure you won’t activate the charge instead. Should be fun.”

“Which wrist are you thinking?”

“I’m guessing you want it on the right, but it’s your call.” Tony shrugged while zooming the model out. “And we could easily do both if you want to cover your bases.”

Natasha arched an eyebrow at him. “Is that a question?”

“Right, we’ll do both.” He pulled up a small disc on the display and dragged it over to the Bites. “Stop me now if you’re not interested, but I’ve been theorizing JARVIS connected trackers without the hassle of reaching into your belt when you need it. Still very much in the early idea phase and I’d love some practical feedback on the way, but seems like the type of thing that’ll be exceptionally useful eventually.”

“Hmm.” She inclined her head towards him in a little nod. “I’m interested.”

Tony adjusted the size of the disk before ruefully shaking his head and looking at Natasha. “I can feel the questions, you know.”

She held his gaze without so much as a blink. “I also know you probably don’t want to talk about how it felt.”

After a moment’s hesitation he focused back on the display, fiddling with adjusting the size of the disc against one of the Bite tubes. “In some ways it helped to go and try something, in a few others I just feel like shit coming away with nothing.” Before Natasha could reply he continued, a frustrated current underpinning his voice. “Our second big threat as Avengers and we can’t seem to do a goddamn thing about it.”

Natasha let a beat of silence pass. “I’m not going to give an empty comfort-.”

“Which is exactly why I’m talking to you right now.”

“-but I think you want to hear it regardless.”

Tony deeply frowned. “I feel like I should be offended now.”

She swiped the display of the Bites away to force him to look back at her. “Tony, speaking as your friend, you don’t have to punish yourself for not being able to help those people. Go find Pepper, talk to her about as much as you’re comfortable with if you’re willing, and at least try to sleep.” Her gaze hardened. “Stay useful.”

He couldn’t help but only blink for a second, opening and closing as his mouth as he considered a response before another small head shake. “No kidding about not giving an empty comfort,” he finally said, voice slightly strained.

“Are you surprised?” Natasha countered, still directly holding his gaze.

He held up both hands in surrender and took a step back. “I’m going, and just for the record I told Pep I was going to find her after updating you on the Bites anyhow…”

Notes:

As ever thanks for everyone sticking with this, you seriously make my day!

Chapter 26

Notes:

Got a little bit more of a Clint-focused chapter today, enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“-think you should just have Thor fly both of you out and avoid them entirely,” Darcy finished saying as Clint walked into the communal dining room, lured by JARVIS’ promise of a bagel assortment.

“Er, I’m not sure about that,” Jane awkwardly said while spreading a layer of cream cheese on a bagel. “He may still look amazing when landing, I don’t.”

Darcy greeted Clint with a little nod of acknowledgement. “Since you’re here, any spy tricks for avoiding or losing the paparazzi outside? Jane and Thor are hoping to get out for a date in a bit but Jane doesn’t want to feature in the tabloids after.”

He shrugged with one shoulder while heading straight for the cinnamon raisin bagels. “How many and are they just camped out? Happy’s pretty good at getting people to clear out if they’re too close to the building, helps a little bit.”

“There’s a group staying far enough not to be on the property, pretty sure they’ve been there since pretty early this morning,” Darcy said before biting into her bagel.

Clint shifted his focus to Jane as she grabbed another bagel. “Are you thinking of leaving on foot or by car?”

She cleared her throat. “It’s not actually that thought out a plan yet, just the general idea. But, uh, probably thinking a far enough place to drive to as long as we aren’t followed.”

He nodded back. “Good news is that, even in New York traffic, driving should open up some possibilities since they’re probably not ready or trained to easily follow. Keep an eye on what cars are behind you, use the traffic to your advantage with switching lanes and take a less direct route if you need to buy yourself some more time to lose them.”

“Mmm,” Darcy used her bagel to gesture in Jane’s direction, “Jane is good at aggressive city driving when she wants to be. That’s useful, right?”

Clint lightly chuckled as Jane gave Darcy a sideways look. “It’s always a handy skillset.”

“See, you’re set,” she brightly told Jane with a smile.

“In theory.”

After a pause Clint added, “If you’re ever planning on foot and there’s a group outside, Nat and I can generally be available to help come up with distractions.”

Jane made an affirmative humming sound. “I will keep that in mind, thank you.” With her bagel on a plate in one hand, she used the other to gesture over her shoulder towards the door. “And I’m just going to go actually finalize my plans with Thor then.”

“Remember the froyo place I told you about!” Darcy called after her, waiting for Clint to finish prepping his own bagel before saying anything more. “Got any more advice for avoiding unwanted attention while living here?”

“Coming in or out by vehicle’s generally a smart idea, and don’t dress too much like you’re trying to avoid attention. There’s still plenty of business and reasons for people to come through here, try to look appropriately casual when the paparazzi are waiting.”

“So basically don’t look suspicious is a key principle here, is what I’m hearing.”

“Basically,” he amusedly agreed while settling into a chair to eat. “And sometimes even if they are technically off the building property, Happy’s still good at getting people to leave if he’s got time for it.”

“Does he still only consider himself Iron Man’s bodyguard or is he including all of the Avengers now?”

“Haven’t asked,” Clint said before his gaze snapped to the doorway as Steve walked in. “Morning, Cap.”

He politely nodded in his direction. “Good morning to you too, and good morning Darcy.”

She smiled and waved at Steve. “Got anything interesting lined up for the day?”

“Depends on how you want to view it,” he said with a smile back as he separated the two halves of a blueberry bagel. “But it’s nothing fancy, some training before I, uh, secretly visit the children’s hospital in uniform with Tony and pick up my suit for tomorrow night.”

“Aww,” Darcy beamed, “the kids are going to love that.”

“Parents too,” Clint added with a knowing smile at Steve. “Better be ready for pictures.”

“I’m hoping it should be memorable for everyone.” He hesitated for a second before adding another bagel to his plate and starting to prep it with a glance at Darcy and Clint. “How about either of you, anything much out of the usual?”

“I convinced Jane into taking the day for her and Thor so I am going to take advantage of the time to relax with some movies and knitting, maybe call home for a bit if my family’s available.”

“Mmm.” Clint pointed at Darcy as he finished chewing. “You should coordinate with Nat and Bruce, could potentially have a little knitting club if you all want.”

Delight flashed through her expression at that revelation. “Ooh, I’m definitely interested.”

Steve pointedly caught Clint’s eye, clear curiosity in his gaze. “Anything much for you?”

“Beyond trying out some nontraditional side dish ideas with Nat for Thanksgiving?” Clint shrugged. “Figure I’ll train for a bit too and probably spend some time reading.”

Darcy dramatically sighed with a little head shake. “I am so bummed I’m actually going home for Thanksgiving.” She gestured between Clint and Steve, her eyes bright. “You have to tell me if anything interesting goes down. I’ll already be pressing Jane for updates on how Thor does Thanksgiving, but I want details and pictures on the first Avengers Thanksgiving.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” Clint promised with a side wink.

Steve cleared his throat while catching Darcy’s eye. “Can I ask how much you’re explaining to your family about why you’re in New York now?”

She dismissively flapped a hand at him. “Relax, I promise I’m not giving away anything I shouldn’t. I had a whole thing from SHIELD about top secret things and security clearance for the Tesseract project and Clint and Natasha had a bit of an Avengers discussion with me after I got here.” She continued as Steve glanced at Clint and got a casual shrug in response. “Mom and Dad just know that I’m really enjoying working with Jane and have unlocked a passion for astrophysics, at best I’m mentioning a Stark Industries connection and telling them that yes, I have seen the Avengers. Trust me, they’re not finding out details about anything that isn’t already public knowledge.” She mimed zipping her mouth shut. “Lewis lips don’t spill confidential secrets.”

“She’s been cleared several times over, nothing to worry about, Steve,” Clint pointedly added.

“No, right, sorry.” Steve jerked his head in a motion that was more of a bobbing movement than a nod at Darcy. “Uh, if you need anything before you leave, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“It’s still a few days out before I leave,” she said with a clearly amused expression, “but I’ll think about it.”

“Whatever works.”

Clint finished a bite of bagel before saying anything more as he cast Steve a faintly teasing smirk. “Y’know, if you’d rather I’m sure no one would mind if you’d rather wear the Cap uniform than a suit.”

He ruefully chuckled back. “I’ll admit it’s a tempting thought.”

--

“Aww,” Clint lightheartedly complained as he walked into the Tower ballroom Tony had elected to hold the night’s charity gala in, “you did go with the suit.”

Steve apologetically shrugged with a small smile. “Following the dress code seemed important. It’s not about us so much as we’re here to help encourage people into donating.”

“And Pep will appreciate sticking to the dress code,” Tony added with a nod of greeting from where he was pouring out half glasses of champagne at the end of the temporary bar, the event’s official bartenders busy finishing their general set up. “Though speaking of, anyone seen her or Natasha recently? They were going over some last minute security details with Happy but should be here now.”

“Everyone still has a few minutes to be early,” Bruce said from where he was sitting at the bar by Tony.

“Fair point.” Tony followed with a whistle as Thor and Jane, holding hands, walked in with Darcy. “That suit was a great choice for you!” he called over.

Thor warmly laughed. “I appreciate the guidance in selecting it.”

“Can’t go wrong with a custom fit,” Darcy happily said once they were only a few feet away before nodding at the champagne. “Pre-party toast?”

Tony nodded back. “Once Pepper and Natasha get here.”

“Last minute details?” Jane asked.

Clint casually glanced in the direction of the ballroom’s entrance as he replied. “Mostly reviewing event security. Shouldn’t be too much longer.”

Darcy curiously cocked her head to the side. “Officially or unofficially, how concerned are we for something happening?”

“Just a usual precaution,” Tony reassured. “Nothing much more than the usual SI event beyond what Clint and Natasha have asked for.”

Clint unapologetically shrugged as he looked back at Tony. “It’s kinda one of our things.”

To the side, Thor angled to whisper something that earned a quiet chuckle from Jane.

“I guess, just-.” Tony stopped as his eyes brightened before loudly saying, “There they are!”

Pepper and Natasha had stepped through the entrance, the former affectionately sighing at Tony’s exclamation.

“Everything should be in place for the night and Happy’s ready to start letting guests in,” she said as they approached.

“I’ll make this quick then, everyone grab a glass,” Tony said as he started to help hand out the champagne.

To the side, Clint caught Natasha’s eye after glancing at her gold toned ridged bracelets and murmured, “You really think you’ll need the formal Bites?”

She casually leaned in to murmur back, “Hopefully not, but I’d rather have them.”

“Got it.”

Tony held up his glass and cleared his throat to catch everyone’s attention, beyond staying quiet enough not to be easily overheard by the bartenders. “I figured it might be nice to take a moment to appreciate everyone’s efforts since only a few of us are getting recognized as Avengers tonight otherwise.” He looked at Steve. “You want the honors, Cap?”

His expression serious, Steve held his glass up. “To the Avengers.”

“Aye,” Thor said while everyone else quietly chorused “To the Avengers,” before each drinking their champagne.

“Mmm,” Darcy approvingly hummed as she finished hers, “that’s the good stuff.”

“Always,” Tony lightly said before clapping his hands together. “Whether you’re in the spotlight or not, everyone have fun tonight and let’s raise some funds.”

After setting her glass down with the others, Natasha put her hand on Clint’s nearest forearm and gently prompted him to back up a step while everyone started to disperse through the room. “Are you still good for mingling with a cover?”

He changed the stance of his shoulders. “Andrew Cox,” he started to say with a slight Southern drawl, “and it is a pleasure to meet you, ma’am.”

A smirk pulled at one corner of her mouth. “Try not to flirt all night long.”

“Well,” he purposefully drew out the word and added a wink, “I’m actually considering myself here for the philanthropy, but if I need to pull out the charm…”

“While running threat analysis.”

Clint innocently shrugged. “We’re both great at multitasking.” After a second he ruefully shook his head. “Y’know, maybe eventually we’ll get to relax a little at one of these parties.”

“That’ll be a day,” Natasha mused back.

They both quietly watched as the catering staff, at Pepper’s confirmation, started laying out the last of the food items on the banquet tables on the far side of the room.

“Guess that’s our cue to separate too,” Clint sighed while running a hand through his hair.

Natasha frowned and reached to smooth his hair back down. “Presentation, Andrew.”

“Right.” He couldn’t help a smile as he let her fix his hair. “Less me, more fancy.”

She slightly smiled back as she brought her hands back to her sides. “You always pull off fancy well.”

“Look who’s talking,” Clint teased as he took a step back. “You know you always look great.”

Her smile widened for a moment as she started in Pepper’s direction without angling away from him. “I appreciate the sentiment.”

“It’s true,” he murmured to himself as she turned. Clint let his brow furrow for a moment before steeling his expression into casual regard while getting back into character.

As Andrew he easily comingled amidst the guests, jumping from conversation to conversation and gauging the attendees for potential threats. No one stood out that he had come into contact with, but rule number one was not letting his guard down.

He had a feeling Natasha was also internally cursing the size of the guest list, but at least they both knew they were being extra paranoid by nature beyond SI’s existing security measures. Nothing quite like something to validate a reason to take covers outside of an official mission.

Even knowing that they weren’t planning on being Clint and Natasha for the night though, it still threw off some of the others to see them acting as other people rather than blending into the background.

Darcy made a pointed effort to casually sidle up alongside Clint during his first snack break.

“Oh my god,” she dramatically whispered to him over a plate of canapés. “I know you’re super spies and all, but you’re seriously different people. I’ve been watching a little and Natasha’s over there expertly flitting between people and giggling at things people say? I’m amazed and slightly scared at the same time.”

Clint couldn’t help but instantly scan over the ballroom to seek her out, quickly catching sight of her hair twenty feet away where Natasha was chatting in a small circle of businesswomen beside Pepper. “Undercover is one of her specialties,” he proudly murmured back to Darcy, keeping to the Southern accent as he spoke.

“No kidding.” Darcy lifted a canapé and pointed it at him. “And you’ve been further away but you’ve seemed like quite the charmer tonight already. And that accent? You’re impressive at this too.” She finished with eating the canapé.

“Thanks.” He munched on a couple pinwheel rolls before Darcy made a quiet thoughtful noise.

“Is this something you’ve done often? Can I ask how many rich people events come up with super spy adventures?”

“Not nearly as many as you might think,” Clint said with a little chuckle. “A lot more cases of discomfort in the great outdoors than tuxes and nice dresses.”

“Huh.” Darcy watched Clint for a moment as he scanned over the surroundings again before focusing back on Natasha. “You know,” she wryly started to say while conspiratorially leaning towards him with the beginnings of a smirk, “I’ve seen this before.”

He curiously stared at her and inadvertently dropped the accent. “What?”

“The staring and being each other’s favorite people and literally everything?” Darcy arched an eyebrow with a note of disbelief etched across her expression. “Dude, I’ve seen sixteen-year-olds manage to be more secretive about their relationship and you’re the super spies.”

Oh shit.

Clint just blinked for a moment. “Uh, I…” He glanced at Natasha, mid-laugh in response to something before blinking again at Darcy. “Uh.”

Surprise flashed through her eyes. “Oh my god,” her voice rose a veritable octave, “you’re not actually together-together yet, just head over heels for each other?”

Despite himself, Clint’s cheeks went pink. “It’s not-.” He stopped and took a breath. “Uh, wow. Um.” He awkwardly gestured to the bar over his shoulder. “I’m just gonna go get a drink real quick and I’ll… yeah.”

It was Darcy’s turn to blink as he stepped away without waiting for any response from her. “Okay then,” she muttered to herself after a moment. “Glad to help.”

Clint was waiting for a Moscow mule at the bar when Tony slid onto the stool beside him.

“You’re looking unusually perturbed,” Tony offhandedly remarked as he settled.

“Uh, something like that,” Clint admitted with a nervous laugh and a deep inhale. “Just coming to an important realization.”

“You want to talk about it?” Tony asked with a concerned frown.

Clint glanced over both shoulders before replying, his voice soft. “I’m in love with Natasha.” He ruefully shook his head. “And it takes Darcy saying something for me to actually realize that, not years and years of everything and dreams having us more involved and I have been such an idiot...”

“Okay…” Tony supportively placed his hand on Clint’s shoulder. “Uh, where to start? First thing, this is good, right?”

“It’s complicated.” Clint nodded in thanks as the bartender put the Moscow mule in front of him and waited for them to step away before continuing. “And I’m not going to have a whole heart to heart right now, especially not here so don’t get too excited-.”

“I do want all the details, I have been waiting for acceptance but I was not expecting to directly hear about it.”

Clint amusedly huffed. “Yeah, I bet.”

“Are you going to tell her?” Tony withdrew his hand from Clint’s shoulder. “And can I tell Pepper?”

“No telling anyone else, please,” he quickly said. “And I don’t know what I want to do right now, I’m… processing.” Clint finished with starting on his drink, his cheeks flushed a shade.

Tony raised both eyebrows. “Do you need an outside perspective?”

“I got an outside perspective in the first place,” Clint drily said before slightly sighing. “Look, let’s just leave it at we’ve both still got plenty of other things to worry about tonight and save any of the discussion you want to have for later. Someone’ll notice.”

“Right.” Tony slowly nodded. “I’m confused why this is so alarming for you.”

“It’s not alarming, it’s just… new.”

“Uhuh.”

Clint responded with a deeper sigh and let a layer of beseeching through his voice. “Tony, I’m serious about not saying anything.”

He innocently waved a hand. “Nothing to worry about, you do what you need to.” Tony started to push off his stool. “But if you need any input, just ask.”

“Right.”

Clint finished his drink at the bar before delving back into acting as Andrew with a grin, careful to avoid getting back into contact with Darcy or Tony. No need to bring the way his mind was running circles of thought back to the forefront.

He was absolutely in love with Natasha.

It was ridiculously obvious in hindsight, years of evidence that he had fallen for her hard. Being maybe more concerned than he should’ve been as just a partner, Natasha being the person he was most comfortable being vulnerable around, the way he was always thrilled to make her laugh and went out of his way plenty of times to earn an amused eye roll or smirk… the list went on and on.

“Anything I should know about with you and Tony talking?”

Natasha kept herself from frowning as Clint jumped in response to her coming up beside him. She hadn’t tried to be particularly sneaky, and he was usually so good at situational awareness.

“Nope,” he hastily said as he focused on her, “he was just checking how things were going.” Clint awkwardly cleared his throat. “And unless if you’ve found something interesting yet, I haven’t found anything threatening.”

“Not yet.” She broke into a faint smile. “Though Thor teaching Jane what I’m guessing is some Asgardian ball dance in the corner is certainly interesting.” She shrugged. “And I may have convinced someone to go try and flirt with Steve.”

Clint immediately chuckled and looked up in search of Steve. “How’d that go?”

“They’re talking, at least.” Natasha nudged his arm with her elbow and nodded to where Steve was actively engaged in conversation with a brown-skinned woman. “She professionally restores antiques, if nothing else maybe she can help him out.”

A full laugh bubbled out of Clint. “Technically I think he’s still vintage, not quite antique.”

“He’s getting there.” She let her smile fade as she fixed him with a pointed look. “Everything okay? You seem a little shaken.”

“Yeah.” He really hoped his voice was coming across entirely steady. “Just in character. Country boy mostly adjusted to the big city but thinking back on the difference, or something like that.”

“Mmm.”

He again cleared his throat and loosely gestured across the room. “Back to it then?”

Natasha didn’t bother trying to hide a note of suspicion in her eyes. “Something threw you.”

They definitely knew each other too well.

Clint blew out an exhale. He hated the idea of partially lying to her, but it felt like the safest bet. “I’ve just been thinking about a few things that stirred up some memories.”

The suspicion vanished into sympathy as she supportively set her hand on his forearm. “Do you need to talk after?”

“I’ll let you know how I’m feeling when we get there,” he reassured.

She waited a moment before withdrawing her hand. “Whatever you need.”

Clint watched her step away for a couple seconds before starting towards the nearest conversation that looked easy to insert himself into, distracting himself with comments about the joint New York and SI rebuilding project’s success and all the ways a donation for the night would spread across the city.

As the gala closed out, he joined Bruce on the edge of the group, both of them finishing a small plate of appetizers before talking.

“I take it there weren’t any problems?” Bruce asked.

“Nothing to speak of for the Ten Rings,” he confirmed with a nod, only letting a beat of silence pass before adding, “I didn’t see much of you about.”

Bruce went sheepish. “I did step out for a little bit to start a sample batch.”

“Planning on a late night then?”

“Only another hour by now, I can let the probes get all the actual numbers for me rather than check it all myself.” Bruce gave a one-shouldered shrug. “And I figured I might as well do it while I was thinking about it rather than wait till tomorrow, especially when there’s plenty of time.”

“Makes sense. Paper in the works?”

“If anyone’s willing to publish me, maybe.” Bruce tried to sound vaguely dismissive but couldn’t entirely keep a wistful note out of his tone. “But even Tony’s backing with SI can only do so much against some of the academic blacklisting I’ve been up against.”

Clint hummed. “Well for what it’s worth, I really hope something works out.”

“Thank you,” Bruce said, his voice sincere. He waited a moment before absentmindedly adjusting his glasses. “Are you ever exhausted at the end of nights like this, acting as someone else the whole time?”

“Oh yeah,” Clint fervently said. “As much as I know what I’m doing to not have to be too self-conscious in the midst of it, nothing beats reaching the end of the day and relaxing just as myself behind closed doors.” He adopted a grin. “Probably doesn’t surprise you but being someone else is a lot of work.”

Bruce politely chuckled back. “I’m sure.” He checked his watch before looking back to Clint. “Uh, sorry to vanish on you but if it’s not too much trouble, I actually might get back to the lab.”

“Not a problem.” Clint waved him away. “Enjoy the rest of your night.”

“You too.” Bruce waved as he turned, prompting Clint to go ahead and find Natasha before she potentially ended up surprising him again.

It hurt his professional pride a little to know that he had let himself get that distracted, but it being because of Natasha on multiple levels at least made him feel better about it.

She was making light conversation in a group of guests with Steve and Jane as he approached and quickly extricated herself as she noticed him.

“You look like you’re feeling better,” she remarked once she was in earshot.

“Yeah,” he nodded, “I’m a lot more, uh, relaxed. But all this exhausted me more than I was anticipating, so I think I might call it a night when the gala’s done. Sorry to throw a wrench into our after party plans, but I could use the sleep.”

Natasha’s gaze and voice were soft. “I don’t mind, take care of yourself.” She paused for a second. “If you want to call it a night now, I do think we’re good for security purposes.”

“I… might take you up on that.” Much as a little voice in the back of his head disagreed.

“I’ll explain if anyone asks.” She nodded him in the direction of the main doorway. “Have a good night, Clint.”

He waved with a smile. “Night, Tasha.”

Notes:

Still a little ways to go but it was time to add some realization to the slow burn... ;)

Chapter 27

Notes:

And we're back in the new year!

(My Clint and Natasha enjoy apple juice as a practical drink agenda continues for some reason, haha!)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Okay.” Pepper flexed her hand back so that she could use the heel of her palm. “Just like that?”

Natasha nodded and slowly guided Pepper’s hand towards her face, hovering it over the areas she pointed out. “Exactly like that. And your ideal targets are here under the chin and to the nose. Use sharp thrusts, pull back quickly.”

“Okay,” Pepper repeated with a nod of her own. “And you extend your arm rather than try to do it as much in the shoulder.”

“Yes.” Natasha let go of Pepper’s hand and shifted to model a firm defensive stance in front of her. “Stay stable as long as possible.” After a second of silence she slightly cocked her head to the side. “Are you comfortable enough to try some sparring exercises?”

“I think so.” Pepper tossed her ponytail back with an easy head motion and protectively squared up. “Just maybe not at actual speed?”

“We’ll go slow.”

Natasha coached Pepper through a variety of defense techniques before they paused for a water break by the side of the sparring mat.

Her expression a mixture of amusement and lighthearted annoyance, Pepper raised both eyebrows at Natasha after taking a long gulp. “I’m not really surprised but how are you not sweating at all?”

She innocently shrugged back. “Years of practice.”

“Mmm.” Pepper downed some more water before making a thoughtful sound. “On a different note, I did want to ask what you were thinking as far as plans for Thanksgiving morning. I think I have an idea for some of what you’re definitely not doing, but I do want to check for coordination purposes.”

“I’m not planning on going anywhere near the parade.” Natasha stretched her wrists as she spoke. “I think I’ll keep to a quiet morning here.”

“Good to know.”

A smirk tugged at one corner of Natasha’s mouth. “Looking forward to your interview?”

“I’m fully prepared to only discuss a detail of Thanksgiving traditions or plans, hopefully any direct questions about how the Avengers may be a part of that are easily deflected.”

“And that Tony doesn’t opt for another ‘I am Iron Man’ declaration?” Natasha asked with an arched eyebrow.

Pepper slightly sighed and nodded. “I know he understands that not everyone wants any public attention, but reporters can have a way of getting on his nerves.”

“For what it’s worth, I think respecting our privacy overrides any of his ease of comebacks for public comment. He wants to be a good friend.”

“He does,” Pepper said with a small smile before briefly pausing as she set her water bottle back down. “I think I want to try those blocks again.”

Natasha started back towards the center of the mat. “If you’re comfortable, I was thinking of another step to add in the exercise.”

“I’m willing to try it.”

--

Inbound with cinnamon rolls. Save me a seat?

Natasha affectionately rolled her eyes at Clint’s text as she turned on the TV in her main room.

As much as their desire for privacy from the public had informed their decision not to attend the Macy’s Parade in person, they had agreed on upholding their occasional Thanksgiving parade watching tradition for the year.

After Clint had snuck Natasha off base shortly after her arrival to SHIELD to watch the parade in person and gotten a stern talking to from Fury and Coulson as a result, Coulson had encouraged making a small event of it at his place on the years it had worked for them to all be in New York.

Just another of many reminders to bring up Coulson’s memory.

Natasha hovered midway between the couch and TV, debating between moving closer to wait by the door or watch the beginning parade discussion. Reasonably Clint could let himself in easily enough, but in the back of her mind she almost wasn’t sure that she was ready to focus on parade content without him there.

She went back for the kitchen, grabbing two drinking glasses and a jug of apple juice. It was too early to start seriously drinking, but something to help round out breakfast certainly wouldn’t hurt.

“The cinnamon rolls have arrived!” Clint brightly called as he walked in, holding a tray of them. “Do you want them in the kitchen or right at hand?”

Natasha walked out of the kitchen with the glasses in one hand and apple juice in the other. “I’ve got plates and forks on the coffee table.”

He nodded and broke into a grin at Natasha as he noticed the apple juice. “Well planned. And I brought a spatula too.” He paused for a second, a thoughtful furrow across his brow. “I think that should be everything we need?”

“I think so,” she agreed while walking towards the couch.

They each wordlessly started dishing up and pouring out a cinnamon roll and glass of the apple juice for the other before settling side by side on the couch as the parade officially started.

After a bite of cinnamon roll, Clint glanced down and quietly said, “He’d be happy to see us here.”

“I know,” Natasha murmured before holding her glass up between them. “For Phil.”

He clinked his glass against hers, his expression solemn. “For Phil.”

They were both silent for a long moment as they drank and returned their attentions to the TV before saying anything else.

“The Sesame Street characters, you’ll like that,” Natasha remarked with a note of teasing, purposefully nudging Clint’s knee with hers as she spoke.

He chuckled. “Eh, you know I’m more of a Muppet Show guy and mostly when I’m loopy in medical.”

“And then you start singing the songs below your breath for weeks.”

“Hey, they’re catchy,” he immediately defended, pointing his fork at her for extra measure. “And don’t think I’ve forgotten you humming the opening theme right back as we were getting out of Milan after that one firefight.”

She arched an eyebrow back at him, otherwise keeping her expression even. “I was stressed trying to keep you from bleeding out and you had already gotten it stuck in my head. I was mostly trying to keep you with me.”

“It was nice.” His expression slightly fell after a moment and he ruefully shook his head with a sad little smile. “God, you and Coulson really had my ass after that one.”

“Only out of concern,” Natasha replied in a matching tone even as her gaze momentarily went distant, transporting back to dragging a profusely bleeding Clint to safety and frantically applying pressure to the bullet wound when she could. “It was closer than it should’ve been.”

“Yeah.” He cleared his throat and leaned forward to refill his glass with a glance back at the TV to distract from his hand almost instinctually twitching towards the scar from Milan. “Uh, what do you think are the odds someone definitely recognizes Steve in the crowd?”

She understood the need to switch topics. “Depends on if he listened when I told him to bring a scarf.”

“I figure Jane and Thor are probably going to have the most relaxed morning out there.”

“They’ll enjoy it.”

Clint leaned back and cast Natasha a side smile. “Still think we made the best choice, not freezing out there.”

“And since we have cinnamon rolls?”

His smile broadened into a proud grin. “Oh yeah.”

By the time they had each finished their cinnamon rolls and nabbed a second helping, Natasha had casually leaned in against Clint’s side after drawing her legs up underneath her.

She started to prop her head on his shoulder only to pull back as he swallowed, prompting her to fix Clint with a concerned look.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Nothing,” he quickly said, his expression suddenly too well guarded for her to quite place the emotions within. “You’re good, I just had some cinnamon roll stuck in my teeth. Sorry.”

Her gaze stayed locked on his, her eyes intense. “Is that all?”

“Uh.” Clint blinked. “You sound like you’re concerned about something specific.”

“Is it the nightmares putting you on edge?”

“No, I… I’ve been surprisingly good on nightmares lately.” He took a deep breath. “Still occasionally but mostly good, I promise.” Sensing her next question he hastily added, “For what it’s worth, I’m not consciously on edge, just coincidence?”

“Mm.”

He sighed as Natasha slightly narrowed her eyes. “I promise,” he meaningfully repeated, trying to pour as much honesty into his features as possible. “Really.”

“I believe you,” she said after a moment.

Fine. If he wanted to be reluctant to tell her what was really going on, she could wait. She didn’t need to rush him into confessing the issue before he was ready if it wasn’t actively hurting either of them.

The relieved tilt to his expression was testament enough to how he was holding something back for the time being.

“Thanks Nat.”

--

With everyone’s separate morning activities wrapped up and all food mostly prepped or nearly ready, they reconvened in the communal dining room and settled in with light drinks and conversation during the wait for the meal.

Clint was quickly almost doubled over in laughter at Thor’s vivid retelling of an adventure featuring an encounter with several trolls some years earlier that apparently related to something he had seen at the parade.

“Let me guess, and then you dramatically broke free with the lightning?” Clint asked mid-chuckle.

Thor widely smiled and shook his head. “Not quite. Sif had had the sense to keep a blade slipped under her bracers and had cut through her bonds before freeing us as well.”

Jane gently nudged his side with her elbow. “Where does this relate back to the treehouse?”

“Fandral and I acted as a distraction for the others to secure the gem, and we made a stand at the pinnacle of the hideout, much like the treehouse.” Thor paused for a half second in seeming debate over how to continue. “It was quite the battle, with the onslaught of the trolls and the shaking of the platform in the wind, but we triumphed without issue.”

“Huh.” Tony nodded. “No offense, but the getting caught was definitely the most entertaining part of the story.”

Thor warmly chuckled. “I understand.”

“But it was still good,” Steve quickly said.

Clint still hadn’t quite stopped laughing as he chimed in, “That was amazing.”

“Is it, uh, normal to find trolls in trees?” Bruce asked after a moment.

“For that particular band on Alfheim, yes. Others live in cave systems and amidst the hills.” Thor made a thoughtful sound. “And there are some that live underground on Vanaheim.”

Bruce nodded while Tony whistled. “I am suddenly fascinated by the details of the differences in troll lifestyles and why. We definitely need to talk about this.”

“I am no expert on their lifestyles, but I do remember some details from my courses on the creatures of the realms.”

“Wait, the details of your school are more important,” Tony eagerly said, his eyes bright.

To the side, Pepper and Natasha exchanged an amused look across the table.

Something loudly beeped on Jane, prompting her to turn off the timer on her phone as she pushed her chair back. “That’s the casserole timer.”

Steve followed suit in getting up. “And the turkey should almost be done. I can get that ready to serve.”

“Probably time to move everything over then.” Tony gestured across the table as he stood. “If anyone’s got a preference for food arrangement on the table, speak now or everyone just lay it out however you see fit.”

Once Steve was done carving the turkey they all dug into the meal while jumping between individual and general conversation.

“So these are the winning results of your bakeoffs,” Bruce remarked to Clint as he picked up a sweet potato and kale puff.

“They were our favorite,” Clint confirmed as he smiled at Natasha. “The mashed cauliflower dish almost won instead, but we decided these were better for the group.”

“Not to mention that it encourages Tony to expand to kale,” she wryly said.

“Hey, I’m right here, Romanoff,” he said without looking over, his tone layered with lighthearted annoyance.

Pepper quietly laughed before adding a puff to his plate. “He needs the variety.”

“Thanks honey.” Tony munched on some stuffing before looking at Steve. “You want to introduce your idea yet?”

Steve nodded as he finished chewing before clearing his throat and adopting a bit of his Captain voice. “I know it might feel a little cliché, but I thought it might be nice to go around and talk about something we’re each thankful for. It’s… a little old fashioned, maybe, but I thought it might be nice as a team and friends.” His cheeks had flushed slightly red as he finished.

“I think it’s a nice idea,” Bruce gently said.

Thor added a nod of his own. “How do we decide who starts?”

“Since it’s my idea, I’ll go ahead and start.” Steve set his fork down and took a breath before continuing as he glanced around at everyone. “Uh, ever since I came out of the ice there’s been a lot to adjust to, but it’s at least felt easier with friends, and I’m grateful for that.” Before anyone could reply he added, “And however we want to go around is fine.”

“I’ll go.” Tony leaned slightly forward. “I won’t echo Steve by saying how nice it’s been to have all of you around, and instead just say that having a team makes this superhero business that much more interesting. Especially for helping to save my life, so, uh,” he dropped his gaze, “thanks to all of you for having my back.”

“Think that’s become a quick thing about the Avengers,” Clint amusedly said. As everyone looked at him he absentmindedly flipped his fork between his fingers. “I think I’m grateful for all the free time switching to the Avengers gig has given me.”

Natasha halfheartedly rolled her eyes with a smile while Thor openly chuckled.

“And we all appreciate your cooking in that free time,” Tony said with a smirk.

Clint winked. “Hidden skills.”

With a supportive pat on the arm from Jane, Thor cleared his throat to draw everyone’s attention. “As repetitive as it may be, I am thankful for the opportunity to know you all, and,” he broke into an affectionate smile at Jane while reaching for her hand, “these opportunities to return here to Midgard and return to Jane.”

She blushed but shyly smiled back at Thor and squeezed his hand. “Um, I guess I can go next. Beyond the obvious of Thor,” her smile widened on his name, “coming back, I’m thankful for the support of my research. It’s… a very welcome change of pace.”

Pepper encouragingly smiled. “It is fascinating work.”

“Thank you.”

Bruce finished a sip of his drink. “I can piggyback off of that, actually. Uh, Tony encouraged me back into the lab after, er, too many years, and it… between providing funding and general support and just making it accessible for me again means… so much.”

“Science bros is a thing,” Tony brightly said while reaching over to fist bump Bruce.

He hesitantly fist bumped back.

Pepper waited for a second before saying, “Personally, I am also thankful for the chance to start to get to know all of you. As many surprises as this year has had, the Avengers have been one of the best of them.”

“Makes sense it’s our common theme,” Clint said with a casual shrug after a moment. “With a few exceptions we haven’t exactly been a group of people with too many close relationships for long.”

“Don’t expect me to say anything too sappy,” Natasha warned as she looked over everyone, a light note in her voice regardless.

Clint was the only one to catch the anxious note in her expression and supportively nudged her closest ankle with his foot under the table.

Something that might have been subtle relief flickered through her gaze as she glanced at him before continuing. “Being a part of this team continues to feel like a worthwhile choice, and I’m… grateful for that.”

“That sounded a little sappy to me,” Tony teased, unflinching as Natasha fixed him with an even glare. “And Clint’s smiling so I feel right.”

He innocently held up his hands but couldn’t quite wipe the smile off his face as Natasha knocked her knee against his. “I’m just happy to see everyone getting along.”

Thor’s laughter stood out the most from everyone else’s. “This is a good celebration.”

Notes:

I promise there'll be more of the yearning ahead, just wanted to make sure and briefly focus on that growing team bond! :)

Chapter 28

Notes:

RIP to the posted word count being 69,999 on here (and would you believe when I started I thought this was for sure going to be under 50k? Oh how quickly that changed!), but on we go! As usual, some creative liberties are taken with New York traffic.

Chapter Text

As Pepper was drawn into a side conversation at book club, Maria quietly cleared her throat and nodded in the direction of the restaurant’s bar. “Care for a drink, Romanoff?”

She arched an eyebrow in return. “Casual or business?”

“Something you’ll want to hear about.”

Natasha noncommittally hummed as she stood to follow Maria towards the bar. “Let me guess, work related?”

“Unofficially.” Maria dropped her serious expression for a disarming smile as the bartender stepped over. “Two ginger ales, please. No alcohol.”

“Interesting choice,” Natasha murmured, something that might have been faint amusement pulling at the edge of her mouth.

“We’re both driving after.” Maria watched the bartender turn away before looking back at Natasha. “We don’t need you to do anything, but I thought you might want to know that Pierce has been attempting to pressure Fury for not assigning you and Clint a new S.O., regardless of your choice with the Avengers.”

“I thought Pierce was at least tolerating the Avengers, even if we aren’t agreeing to taking missions from him.”

They both politely nodded as the bartender slid their ginger ales towards them before heading to the other end of the bar to help someone else.

Maria took a long sip before continuing. “As best as I can tell he still is begrudgingly accepting the Avengers acting independently, at least outwardly. It’s the fact that you and Clint are still on record as SHIELD that has him interested in how Fury’s choosing to run things.” She shrugged with one shoulder. “Anyone can admit the two of you have made history as a team, I understand not wanting to feel like the agency is losing you.”

“I’m flattered.” Natasha glanced over to check that Pepper was still in the middle of conversing before asking, “What’s the extent of pressuring?”

“It’s nothing Nick or I aren’t perfectly capable of handling.”

Natasha nodded. “I’m sure, but you’d be suspicious if I didn’t ask.” She slightly tilted her head to the side. “Off the record, are you concerned about Pierce?”

“Off the record?” Maria sipped her ginger ale for a moment, her expression contemplative. “I feel like it’s a safe bet to assume there’s a partial explanation in the WSC working through him around Fury, but there’s something he’s not trusting us with. I’m not inclined to take any strong actions without something more substantial to go off of, but something doesn’t sit right.”

They both went silent for a moment as Natasha took a sip of her own, idly swirling her glass with an easy twist of her wrist as she set it back down.

“If you would want to make a point,” she carefully said, “Clint and I are more than capable of scaring any S.O. options off.”

Maria couldn’t help a small chuckle. “Depends on how my day is going.”

“Think about it, Hill.” Before she could reply Natasha shifted forward in her seat and broke into a small smirk. “If nothing else, I will ask your help for a reasonable excuse to be on base in the next couple weeks.”

“Do I need to be concerned?” Maria asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yearly tradition. I’ll need Clint there too.”

“Ah.” Maria slowly nodded and narrowed her eyes with curious suspicion. “Does it matter whether Fury is on base too?”

Natasha shrugged with one shoulder. “Not necessarily, but it’d be easier if he’s not.”

“Hmm. We’ll talk.” Maria twisted to look in Pepper’s direction. “But let’s enjoy book club while we’re here.” She pulled her wallet out of her purse and paused. “Do you know if Pepper will want one?”

“Can’t hurt.”

Maria nodded once in Pepper’s direction. “I’ll get it if you want to head back, show her that we’re not just vanishing on her.”

Natasha scooped up her glass. “On it.”

She slid back into the seat besides Pepper, incidentally drawing her attention from the ongoing conversation.

“Is something happening?” Pepper asked in a whisper.

“Water cooler gossip,” Natasha deflected. “And Maria’s getting you a ginger ale too.”

“Oh, that’s nice.” Pepper paused for a second. “We got distracted from talking about the themes with making some group plans for Miranda’s baby shower. The current thought is to go for a stroller.”

Natasha made a small sound of affirmation. “It’s practical.”

Pepper hesitated before quietly asking, “Am I probably safe to figure it’s unlikely for you and Maria to attend the shower?”

“Baby showers are a bit outside our comfort zone,” Natasha admitted in a murmur.

Maria took the seat to her side and slid the extra ginger ale to Pepper. “Anyone brought up the twist in chapter fourteen yet?”

“No,” Natasha shook her head, “they’re talking about Miranda’s baby shower and getting her a stroller.”

“Strollers are always a good idea.” Maria focused on Pepper. “Logistics in the works, I assume?”

“Sarah and Taylor are coordinating on purchasing and attendance,” she replied with a nod. “And speaking of, Sarah will probably still try to catch both of you before we leave…” Pepper trailed off as Natasha subtly pulled out her phone and frowned at the screen. “Something casual or an emergency?”

“Tony and Thor are checking out an incident on 22nd and will report if it looks something for the team.” Natasha tipped back her ginger ale to quickly finish it off before immediately looking back at her phone. “Hill-.”

She nodded. “Go, you’ll be fighting traffic already regardless of whether you’re needed. It’s not a problem to help Pepper get back. Just update me on the situation once you find out.”

“Do what you need to,” Pepper supportively added as Natasha glanced at her with a clear question in her eyes.

Natasha didn’t need any further prompting to start to head out, politely citing a work emergency as Sarah noticed her leaving.

As soon as she was outside the restaurant she called Clint, only needing to wait for a couple rings before he picked up. “Hey Nat, you clear to speak freely?”

“Heading to my car.”

“Okay. All I know is there’s chatter about at least a couple armed people with a possible bomb breaking into an art gallery that’s currently hosting a charity auction, waiting for Tony to give more from the scene. Nothing going in to say if there’s a Ten Rings connection or not, but still worth kicking into gear.”

“Any idea how many civilians are in the gallery?” Natasha tightly asked, keeping her voice low as she walked.

Clint quietly sighed. “That’s another thing we’re waiting on Tony for.”

She momentarily pursed her lips as she dodged around someone slowing down to text a few steps in front of her. “Are you heading over?”

“Steve’s driving and Bruce decided to tag along just in case. Traffic is, uh, fun.” Background honks punctuated his words. “Police chatter does sound like they’re closing things down closer though, so that might be useful.”

Natasha huffed. “Marginally.”

“I’m being hopeful.”

She tilted her head to hold the phone against her shoulder while unlocking her car. “Nothing from Tony and Thor still?”

Clint was quiet for a moment before replying. “Tony’s talking to Bruce right now… sounding like at least twenty-five people inside, he’s trying to see if he can figure out the detonation method to gauge whether it’s a good idea to move in. Oh, and they’re debating the merits of having Thor potentially try to take down the electrical grid in the area as a distraction.”

In the background, Steve said something Natasha couldn’t make out as she started the engine, setting the phone on speaker in a cupholder. “I’m driving now.”

“How’s traffic?”

“Decent.” She twisted to check her blind spot before merging into the closest lane. “If they do take down the grid, it’s going to make it slightly more difficult for the rest of us to get there.”

“They’re talking about that.” Clint paused, presumably listening to Bruce saying something before continuing. “Tony’s thinking he and Thor dive through the glass windows there and tackle the person with the detonator, says they’ve still got it on their belt only as they set the bomb up. So it’s not the greatest idea, but I’ve heard worse.”

“And we’re all too far to stop them regardless,” Natasha drily said.

“That too.”

She couldn’t help a small sigh. “I trust them to make a good call.”

“Yeah- hold on a sec. Sounds like they went for it. Should get… well they’re securing the area. Police moving in behind them.”

“I’ll head back to the Tower instead then,” Natasha said after a moment.

Clint’s voice was somewhat muffled in response, sounding like he had covered the speaker with his hand. “Nat’s not planning on making an appearance with that many eyes around if they’ve got it under control.”

“We understand,” Steve loudly said.

Clint cleared his throat before speaking directly back to Natasha. “Do you want to stay on the line or should I call back if we get any more important updates?”

“I can stay on the line.”

“Sorry that we interrupted book club.”

“It was an emergency.” Natasha paused as she changed lanes. “And I have something to tell you about later.”

She could picture the exact curious quirk to his expression in response. “Well now I’m just curious.”

“Later.”

Natasha was a couple blocks away from the Tower before Clint had anything to add from Tony and Thor.

“Figure it’s not a surprise that we’re not getting the physical bomb, but Tony says he got a scan we can look at once we’re all in the war room. No seeming Ten Rings connection yet according to him, but still something.”

“I’ll update Maria, see what strings she can pull on.”

“Speaking of, actually.” Clint conspiratorially lowered his voice to a murmur loud enough for her to still hear over the phone. “Did you ask about the thing?”

“She’ll coordinate with us for an excuse. Details pending.”

“Good-,” he started to say before Steve cut him off.

“Hey bud, you have a turn signal for a reason! Use it!”

“Is he driving like an old man?” Natasha amusedly asked.

Clint chuckled beneath his breath. “Later.”

Any more exclamations about the way others were driving were quiet enough Natasha didn’t hear as she stayed on the phone call up until Clint was back to the Tower.

In light of his occasional odd recent behaviors, it was comforting to have Clint exchanging side comments with her like usual, albeit while keeping in mind that he also had Bruce and Steve there to hear whatever he said. At least his holding something back wasn’t impacting their day to day habits too noticeably.

She wasn’t sure how she would respond if it somehow did.

Tony was the last to make it back, Thor arriving in the war room a couple minutes before.

“I can’t say I was expecting to see Deputy Director Hill with Pepper as I came inside,” Tony drily said as he walked in.

Natasha innocently shrugged. “She enjoys book club and if she wants to check in when she’s this close already, I can’t blame her.”

“Well I told her we’d share with SHIELD if we figure a Ten Rings connection, otherwise we’d be on the same page with just some unsuccessful bombing attempt.” Tony started pulling up his scan of the bomb. “Anyone got any complaints if we take a look at this first, talk about the Avengers side of things later?”

“It’s more pressing,” Steve agreed.

Clint opened his mouth to start to say something only for his eyes to slightly widen as the scan of the bomb fully came up. “Uh, Nat?”

“I see it,” she murmured while folding her arms and leaning against the table, conscious of everyone’s gazes swiveling to her.

“Uh,” Tony pointed between her and Clint, “explanation please.”

She resisted a sigh. “We’ve seen this bomb before.” Her gaze briefly flickered over to Steve. “Possibly associated with a HYDRA cell.”

His brow instantly furrowed. “No one told me about the HYDRA weapons, and now I find out that HYDRA is still around?”

“Cells of it, from what SHIELD knows,” Clint quickly said. “It’s unfortunately not that surprising that an ideology like that hasn’t died out completely, but as far as we know it’s not the larger organization you remember. Part of why it hasn’t come up in any briefings.”

Steve’s jaw tightened. “That doesn’t particularly make me feel better for not having been updated.”

After a second Thor cleared his throat. “May I, ah, ask what this HYDRA is?”

“Simply put, a terrorist group that wants to rule the world, became especially prevalent after some association with the Nazis.” Clint paused for a second. “Uh, much longer story there, but the most important thing for now is that what we see is paramilitary cells still hellbent on eventually installing HYDRA rule.”

“Do we have any idea what type of bomb it is, how much damage it would have done?” Bruce asked.

Natasha gave a small nod. “What we’ve seen before was designed to be a dirty bomb, though this version is…,” she exchanged a side look with Clint, continuing at his subtle shrug, “missing an element that was supposed to increase dispersal.”

Tony raised both eyebrows. “Do you know what that element is? Mechanically or even in general?”

She briefly bit the inside of her lip and consciously measured the breath she took before confessing, “It was a piece of Chitauri tech.”

To the side, Bruce curiously frowned.

“Huh.” Understanding dawned across Tony’s expression. “That time with the concussion?”

“Unfortunately.” Clint spoke without looking away from Natasha, who added a nod to his statement. “But the good news is they didn’t seem to have gotten more of it since, otherwise why leave it off this bomb?”

“I was under the impression that SHIELD was going to manage not letting the weapons of the Chitauri fall into anyone else’s hands, that other mortals do not needlessly endanger themselves or others,” Thor said, his expression troubled.

“Part of that’s been going after what slipped away before SHIELD could get a whole handle on the situation. The attack impacted a big chunk of the city with Chitauri all over that, some stuff slipped through the initial net. Hell, they’re probably still pulling some of their stuff out of the rubble.” Clint paused for a half second, trying to gauge any change in Thor’s expression. “I know it’s probably not what you hoped for, but SHIELD’s doing the best they can.”

After a beat of shared silence Steve somberly asked, “Do we think this is about the Avengers?”

“New York’s a great target for a dirty bomb regardless, no matter the dispersal range,” Bruce said as he watched the bomb scan slowly rotate and looked it up and down.

Natasha inclined her head towards him in agreement. “But we can’t ignore that stopping an alien invasion with some continued attention since is going to make us stand out to interested parties.” She eyed Steve. “Especially if they still feel a grudge for Captain America.”

His jaw clenched again. “I should go talk to the people in custody.”

“Uh, we can talk about that.” Tony diminished the size of the scan with a wave of his hand and glanced across everyone’s faces. “Do we want to talk about how New York traffic killed the response time for the rest of you?”

“We need some much better options,” Steve firmly agreed.

“It’s not great for everyone at once, but if you’re confident and aggressive enough on a motorcycle it’s not that hard to weave around traffic,” Natasha suggested while unfolding her arms.

Clint’s eyes went bright. “And if you want an idea for something to make, I’ve always been trying to push for a hovercycle thing, go a bit further than the car.”

Natasha glanced down at the table as she bittersweetly smiled, the action seemingly ignored by everyone but Clint.

“You have a flying car?” Tony asked, excitement tinging his voice and his eyes alight.

Steve incredulously arched an eyebrow while angling towards Tony. “You don’t? Howard was showing off a prototype at his Stark Expo back in forty-three, I thought that might be somewhere further by now.”

A shadow fell across his features. “Yeah, well, dear old Dad never quite got it functional.”

“I don’t have a flying car,” Clint awkwardly said. “Just, uh, knew someone with a sort of flying car. It’s… one of a kind. Not something we can easily get.”

Bruce shifted in his seat. “I think it sounds like we basically agree that something off the ground is the best response for navigating in the city, and I’d say that Quinjet access is best for anything outside of New York.”

Tony snapped his fingers at him. “Yes, I need to ask how much a Quinjet would be.”

“It is not as fast, but I am capable of carrying someone with me as I fly,” Thor added. “Does the Iron Man suit allow you to do so as well, Tony?”

“Yeah, it’s just not as effective for speed, like you said. Plus gotta be more careful with someone being unprotected against the air and elevation as we go.”

“That I can somewhat mitigate the effects of in the air,” Thor said with a clear note of pride.

Clint held up a hand. “I call going with Thor next time.”

Natasha affectionately rolled her eyes. “Are we going to come to a practical decision or keep on discussing possible variations of flying?”

“I’m comfortable with the motorcycle idea,” Steve said after a second.

“Avengecycles?” Tony suggested.

Bruce wryly chuckled. “You know not everything has to be named after the Avengers.”

“But it is fun.” Tony clapped his hands together. “I’m going to brainstorm a little on the flying ideas, see if I can adapt repulsors into something for us.” He grinned at Clint. “See if we can’t get you your hovercycle.”

He grinned back and held a hand over for a high five. “Now we’re talking.”

Chapter Text

Clint took a chance on meandering into Tony’s primary lab after using JARVIS to check whether he was inside.

“Barton!” Tony enthusiastically called over as he set aside his soldering gun. “Perfect timing! Can I borrow your hands?” He gestured to the adjacent workbench. “I’ve got extra glasses and a glove there and I just need you to hold this piece right here.”

“Uh, sure.” Clint obligingly pulled on the safety glasses and glove before matching Tony’s grip on an angled metal piece with several wires on the back. “Don’t tell me this is actual hovercycle process already,” he joked.

Tony chuckled back while turning the soldering gun on again. “No, sorry. Just putting the finishing touch on this transistor for another suit design.”

“How many Marks are you at now?” Clint lightheartedly asked. “I feel like you’ve always got another design in the works.”

“Forty-two.”

Clint couldn’t help his eyes immediately widening, both eyebrows accordingly shooting up. “No shit?”

“Improving and specializing isn’t done in only a couple designs.” Tony shifted the soldering gun to the other side of the transistor without so much as glancing up at him. “Better firepower, specialized for types of flying, toying with stealth, having a just in case plan for the Hulk…”

“Does Bruce know about that?”

Tony nodded. “We’ve got a feeling Igor isn’t going to cut it if we need to go up against Hulk soon, but I’m hoping to test with Thor.” He set the soldering gun aside. “Can you wiggle that piece back and forth a bit?”

Clint wiggled as he spoke. “How concerned is he feeling about losing control?”

“He wants a plan in place before we might need it regardless of how he feels about how well he can reign in Hulk.” Tony took off his safety glasses and rubbed at his face with his ungloved hand before frowning at Clint. “Wait, what time is it?”

“A little after ten. In the morning.”

“Fuck,” Tony groaned as his expression fell, “I told Pep I was just going to be a little bit longer.”

Clint set his glove and glasses back onto the other workbench before fixing Tony with a careful look. “You want to talk about it?”

He shrugged but didn’t meet his eye. “I stayed up working all night without realizing it, not really sure how much there is to talk about there.”

“You worried about what you see when you close your eyes?” Clint waited for a second before continuing. “It’s not that unusual to still be plagued with nightmares.”

“Should I be concerned about you?” Tony ruefully asked.

“Only if I should be concerned about you too.”

They stared at each other for a long moment before Tony sighed and slumped his shoulders forward. “I wasn’t consciously avoiding sleeping but yeah, I’m not exactly a beacon of seeming unaffected.” He waved across the lab with a bitter sound. “So I’m trying to be productive instead of worrying as much about what if they came back in full force and what we’re supposed to do in the face of that, but it just…” He swallowed as he trailed off, his voice going small. “Not just a nightmare when I’m asleep.”

Clint carefully leaned on the workbench behind him and folded his arms with a tight nod. “I wish I knew something to help, but it just sucks. But at least making yourself sleep, it’s easier to not wallow in it.”

“Fear is the mind-killer,” Tony quoted with a grim chuckle.

A corner of Clint’s mouth pulled up in a smile. “Do you know that whole speech by heart?”

“It’s a litany, actually.” Tony frowned and quickly pointed at Clint. “Don’t say it.”

He innocently held up his hands. “Fine, I’ll save it.”

Tony rolled his eyes but had relaxed the set of his shoulders. “Enough of my problems, what’s your motivation for dropping in?”

“Honestly, partially checking on you since no one had seen you since yesterday, and partially wanting to follow up on any new arrowhead ideas.”

“I’m touched for the concern.”

Clint arched a brow. “Jumping straight from confessing a little to deflecting? Tony-.”

“Not really a conversation I want to have right now,” he quickly interrupted, his eyes tired. “What do you think about some sort of putty arrow? There’s a lot to test and consider for where to take formulation, but I can think of some uses and I’m sure you’ve got more.”

“Hmm.” Clint slowly nodded. “I’ll think about that one a bit and come back to you with an idea of what I’d want out of that?”

“See, you’re getting the hang of R&D.” A bright note broke across Tony’s expression. “I’ll make you a deal, one emotional vulnerability to another. How’s it going with you talking to Natasha?”

For all his experience at maintaining composure in the face of the unexpected, Clint blinked and froze. “Uh…”

“Well shit.” Tony leaned forward against his workbench with an eager spark in his eye. “Are you trying to wait for the right romantic moment to tell her? Since whatever you need, I can help you get a hold of.” He barely paused before adding, “Especially if it’s a giant stuffed animal, I know someone.”

“Uh, probably no giant stuffed animals. And don’t get excited,” Clint started to say before Tony again cut him off, his expression level.

“Can I ask what you’re apparently worried about, genuinely? Since I won’t claim to know you or Natasha nearly as well as you know each other, but from the outside and despite your having to realize, you’ve seemed pretty together already.”

“That’s the problem,” Clint half-sighed, “I don’t want to ruin what we’ve got.”

Tony blinked twice at him. “Again, outside opinion, but I really don’t think you’ve got to worry about reciprocation not being on the table.”

Clint consciously bit at the inside of his lip for a moment. “Like I said before,” he finally admitted, “it’s complicated.”

It was Tony’s turn to hold up both hands. “Don’t feel like you’ve got to tell me all of your thoughts, but a word of advice. If you’re assuming what she’s feeling, don’t, just talk to her, get it in the open.” He paused for a second. “Isn’t she good at ferreting out secrets anyhow?”

“Uh-huh,” Clint said with a short nod.

“But again, if you want anything to build the right romantic moment to talk to Natasha, I can certainly help.”

“I’ll think about it.” Clint awkwardly pointed back to the lab’s door. “But, uh, I probably shouldn’t keep you up any longer already.”

“Right.” Tony waved him away. “Don’t worry about me, I’m headed out. Feel free to tell anyone I’m actually sleeping.”

Clint didn’t need any further motivation to slip away, opting to beeline back to his floor before collapsing onto his main couch with a sigh and rubbing at his face with both hands.

He knew Tony was right.

It was shortsighted to imagine not telling Natasha about how he felt wasn’t liable to eventually apply some strain between them. They knew each other too well for his shift to being increasingly self-conscious about what all their time together meant to him to be excused without actual explanation for long, and he was already conscious of earning enough suspicion.

And his own fears for confessing how he felt changing their dynamic definitely weren’t worth self-sabotaging it over.

Tony also had a point in waiting for the right sort of moment to have that conversation with Natasha. Maybe not forcing something with romantic overtones otherwise she’d get it before he could even say anything, but something reasonably intimate.

Clint slightly jumped at the sound of JARVIS’ voice from above. “Attention all Avengers: Dr. Foster’s equipment has detected Bifrost activity above the Tower.”

His stomach immediately dropped as he sucked in a deep breath.

The odds of it being Loki were slim, he immediately reminded himself. He was stuck on Asgard, they weren’t just going to let him waltz off back to Earth. Even if Loki had broken out, odds were someone from Asgard could come by first to give them a warning.

Mostly, Clint reassured himself that his nightmare wouldn’t play out as reality while he stiffly pushed himself off the couch and quickly grabbed his bow and quiver alongside a coat.

Given that his floor was one of the closest to the roof already he debated trying to head for the stairs instead to keep the elevator free before deciding he’d probably be one of the last on board anyhow.

Sure enough, Steve and Natasha were already inside with serious expressions and carrying the shield and a Glock respectively.

“Tony and Thor are opting to externally head up, I have no idea whether Bruce is coming,” Steve informed as Clint stepped into the elevator.

He nodded. “Anyone have the time to ask Thor if he’s got any guesses?”

“No.” Natasha carefully eyed Clint. “We just hope it’s someone that wants to talk.”

“Rooftop fight could be bad.” He consciously flexed his free hand to keep from fidgeting, his other tightening around the grip of his bow and resisting the urge to snap it to be fully extended. Armed and nearly ready would be enough caution if they were meeting someone friendly. “How many panicked messages do you think are going to start to go around about a beam of light above the Tower?”

“I was trying not to think about that,” Steve ruefully said before the elevator doors dinged open.

Clint and Natasha were content to let him be the first off the elevator and up the last stairs to the roof, Steve protectively angling the shield in front of him as he stepped outside.

They all only relaxed upon seeing Thor eagerly greeting the newcomer, a dark-haired woman in silver armor with a sword strapped to her back.

Tony had flipped his faceplate up and walked over to stand beside Steve. “Gotta admit, I’m pretty impressed with our response time.”

“We lucked out as far as where we were coming from,” Natasha said without looking away from watching Thor and Sif as his expression sobered, her own set in a curious frown.

Almost as if feeling cued, Thor turned towards them. “We should return inside, speak out of the wind.”

Clint started to turn back for the door. “No complaint there.”

They all followed him inside with the exception of Tony opting to go around outside to the suit pathway.

In the elevator, Thor opted to provide official introductions. “My friends, this is Lady Sif, one of Asgard’s mightiest warriors.” Pride colored his voice. “Sif, this is Captain Steve Rogers, known to the mortals as Captain America.”

He politely nodded to Sif. “Ma’am.”

Clint and Natasha managed to exchange a wry look before Thor started to introduce them.

“And this is Clint Barton, also known as Hawkeye, and Natasha Romanoff, also called the Black Widow. They are Avengers and also agents of SHIELD.”

They nodded in turn with their introductions.

“It is an honor to meet you all,” Sif seriously said. “Thor talked much about you and your deeds while on Asgard.”

“We’ve, ah, heard some about you too,” Steve said as they reached the lounge.

Sif cast Thor a knowing side smile. “The most flattering, I’m certain.”

“I have only spoken anything embarrassing of myself,” he reassured with a wink as they stepped off the elevator, his demeanor quickly sobering as they approached Tony.

“Bruce decided to come up, should be here any time,” he said before starting to gesture to the couches, pausing to look directly at Thor. “Any Asgardian customs I should be aware of here, actually?”

“We can comfortably sit and speak.”

The few moments of everyone casually propping their weapons by their seat were almost comical out of sheer variety, Bruce’s arrival then distracting Tony from commenting about it.

“Er, glad to see it’s a casual visit,” Bruce remarked as he settled onto the corner cushion of the closest couch.

Thor cast him a supportive smile. “And this is Dr. Bruce Banner, occasionally the Hulk. Bruce, this is Lady Sif.” He glanced around between everyone. “There is need for me to temporarily return to Asgard, but before we leave Sif brings news I believe everyone should hear.”

She nodded at Thor. “Since the events of Loki’s attack and Thor’s recounting, Asgard has been watching for the Chitauri in the universe. One of their smaller ships has been found, nothing has been noticed of their larger force.” Her gaze flickered over to Tony as he stiffened. “There is nothing to be concerned for, they will not return to Midgard without warning or assistance.”

He couldn’t help a swallow. “Thanks for the update.”

Clint and Natasha both watched his reaction, splitting their attention between Tony and Sif.

“Anything important to update about Loki?” Steve asked after a moment.

Sif shook her head. “He remains secure.”

“I apologize for the interruption,” JARVIS started to say from above, eliciting a surprised glance from Sif, “but the NYPD and mayor are attempting to reach out concerning an explanation for the Bifrost activity. They are becoming quite insistent for an answer, and I believe others may be asking soon.”

Tony sighed and pushed himself back onto his feet. “Right, time to reassure that there’s not another alien invasion. Uh, my apologies, Lady Sif, just a bit of business to take care of.”

“I understand.”

Thor cleared his throat and pointedly caught Sif’s eye. “If you do not mind briefly remaining with my fellow Avengers, I would like to quickly speak to Jane.”

She supportively nodded. “Take what time you need.”

“I won’t be long.”

“So, uh,” Clint awkwardly started to say after Thor and Tony left, “any conversations you want to have in turn, Lady Sif?”

Her gaze fell on Bruce, curiosity within. “Though Thor had much to say about everyone, he was especially impressed with the Hulk’s prowess on the battlefield.”

Bruce glanced down while adjusting his glasses even as a rueful chuckle escaped him. “He certainly makes an impression.”

“May I ask how your transformation works?”

While Bruce went into an increasingly detailed explanation of the known science behind the Hulk as Sif enthusiastically asked about various aspects, Steve opted to at least seem like he was paying attention to the exchange while Clint and Natasha paid half attention and held a murmured side conversation.

“You seemed a little on edge on the way up,” she remarked while fixing him with a level look.

Clint briefly clenched his jaw. “Think I’ll be holding my breath every time to find out exactly who’s coming through.”

“Do you want company after this?” Natasha asked, concern furrowing her brow.

“That’d be nice.” He could debate whether to use the moment for confessing how he felt once they were in the midst of it. “Something relaxed, lounge around with a movie or something?”

“I’m flexible.” Before he could reply she added, “I’m retaining vetoing powers though.”

Clint forced back a chuckle. “You like my taste in movies.”

“Mostly. TV shows can be more hit and miss.”

“Hey, in my defense most of them have been when I’m at least slightly out of it in medical or now experimenting with actually having time to try some shows. Or at least I recognize when it’s not great but is just fun.”

“It’s certainly an excuse,” Natasha countered with a teasing glint in her eyes.

They went silent for several moments to listen to Bruce and Sif’s back and forth before Clint quietly cleared his throat. “You think it’s as good a situation as Sif says?”

“Mm.” Natasha watched her as she replied. “If not, I think Thor will tell us once he’s back.”

“I th-.” Clint stopped with a frown as his phone buzzed in his pocket and pulled it out, making no effort to stop Natasha also looking at the notification. “Huh.”

Three words from Fury.

Call ASAP, Barton.

Natasha nudged his leg with hers and nodded him towards the hallway. “Go.”

“On it.”

Steve cast Clint a questioning look as he hurried out and almost started to ask where he was heading before Natasha shook her head at him.

Clint opted to get a ways into the hall before calling Fury.

He answered almost immediately. “Barton. You up for consulting on a mission?”

“Consulting how?”

“We’ve got a solid lead on a couple of those mercenaries that went to the wind after Manhattan.”

Clint fought to keep from inhaling too sharply as he immediately replied. “I can do it.”

“Straighten out what you need on your end but get on the Helicarrier ASAP for debrief.” Fury paused for a second. “I’ll leave it up to you whether to include Natasha or not.”

“I’ll ask.”

“Good. Let me know when you’re ready, I’ve got a Quinjet waiting to fly into New York.”

“Yes sir.”

Fury hung up first, leaving Clint a moment to stare at his phone.

He hadn’t been sure whether to be glad or annoyed that he hadn’t been a part of the initial efforts to try to track down the mercenaries he’d hired under Loki. Understanding the reasoning was one thing, his lingering feelings of responsibility were another.

At the very least, he wasn’t going to complain about finally being asked in.

Clint opted to text Natasha rather than invite the increased attention of walking back into the lounge to ask her aside anyhow.

It’s a consulting request for a mission, wondering if you want to come along? Debrief on base.

To no surprise, Natasha quickly joined him in the hall. “What’s the mission?”

“Going after some of Loki’s mercs that got away. I’m fine with going alone, but thought I’d offer-.”

“I’m coming,” Natasha firmly said, something intense in her eyes. “When do we leave?”

“Fury’s got a Quinjet ready to swing by once we give the word, so should be quick.” Clint glanced back towards the lounge. “Not exactly the best time to bring us temporarily leaving up though.”

She shrugged. “We explain that it’s an emergency related to the mercenaries. I’ll be surprised if they fault that, and it’s not as though we’re the only ones temporarily leaving.” Natasha had already started a text in the team group chat. “I’ll tackle letting the team know while I go grab the Bites, you let Fury know to send the Quinjet.”

“On it.”

They reconvened to wait for the Quinjet, the other Avengers not raising any complaint after hearing the reason and wishing them a safe and straightforward time.

Once they were aboard the Helicarrier, a few agents cast Clint side looks as they made their way to the bridge only to get even stares from Natasha in response until they looked away.

“I’m already ignoring ‘em,” Clint muttered as they walked.

She briefly tipped her head towards him in acknowledgement. “You did the same for me.”

He swallowed as a ball of emotion formed in his throat before managing to say, “I really lucked out with you as my partner.”

“No less than I lucked out with you,” Natasha said with a small smile.

The bridge was in its usual state of activity, with Maria at the helm giving orders and scanning over an intel report on one of the nearby screens before glancing to Clint and Natasha as they walked in.

“He’s in the side office,” she said with a nod in the according direction. “I’ve already debriefed the agents you’ll be working with, they’ll be ready when you’re done.”

Clint and Natasha nodded back in near synchronicity. “Thanks Hill.”

Fury had his back to them as they walked into the office, looking at satellite footage pinned over Brazil on a world map display. “I appreciate the quick response,” he started to say while turning, his expression inscrutable. “We’re looking at Charles Vernier and Harry O’Sullivan, currently hiding out in northern Idaho.”

“Cabin in the woods?” Clint guessed.

“Effectively. They’re former Army Special Ops buddies and well-armed, potentially stocking up to head into Canada. We’re interested in seeing what SHIELD equipment they’ve still got and who they’ve been taking jobs from, intel looks like they’re right in someone’s pocket.” Fury held over a tablet. “Pictures of the area and intel reports are on that for the flight out.”

Natasha accepted the tablet. “Are we bringing them in or leaving them for the locals?”

“Leave them unless if you find a convincing reason not to. I trust your judgement, and the team will take an order to change plans from you.” Fury paused and focused on Clint. “Any extra information you feel may be relevant?”

He shrugged. “Not to my memory, I believe they were general opportunity mercs rather than having any personal stake against SHIELD. Nothing too special.”

“Good. You’ll be on Quinjet Theta, should just about be ready up top. Hill should have the agents you’re accompanying waiting up there too.”

“Understood,” Natasha firmly said.

Something almost lighthearted fell across Fury’s expression. “And one more thing.”

Clint arched a brow. “Yes, sir?”

“It was nice to see that this year’s events didn’t stop the two of you from sneaking gifts into my office.”

Natasha smirked. “We’re always happy to help find holes in existing security.”

Chapter 30

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

One of the fun things of ending up in northern Idaho towards the end of December was having to trudge through a solid foot to a foot and a half of snow drifts between the trees to sneak up on Vernier and O’Sullivan’s cabin.

It was a good location, enough of a clearing surrounding it that they couldn’t get too close without chancing Vernier or O’Sullivan spotting them out a window and responding in turn.

Hence opting to flush them out instead.

Natasha hung back behind the tree line to the left of the cabin’s front door with Agents Walsh and Chiba, Clint hiding among the trees to the right and Agents Garcia and Evans waiting out of sight behind the cabin.

If there wasn’t a storm blowing in with the potential for blizzard conditions as evening fell, they probably would have come up with a more elaborate first step than Clint blowing up the truck parked a little ways from the cabin. Running against nature’s clock, he had an explosive arrow nocked and aimed to arc to the hood of the truck.

“Everyone in position?” he asked over the comms, waiting long enough to get an affirmative from Natasha and Garcia before continuing. “Things are about to get a little toasty.”

He heard Evans muttering, “Good, it’s fucking freezing up here,” as he loosed the arrow and activated the charge for impact, the truck exploding in a fiery blast they all instinctively ducked away from.

Vernier burst out the front door within moments, apparently having foregone a coat in favor of grabbing a rifle on his way out the door.

“It was the truck!” he yelled towards the cabin while raising the rifle against his shoulder and starting to carefully proceed towards the smoldering remnants of the truck, picking around a couple larger debris pieces that were melting through the snow.

O’Sullivan came outside with a rifle also in hand and started to follow in Vernier’s footsteps. “Foul play or freak accident?” he loudly asked.

“Dunno, it- hurk!” Vernier angled his rifle down while reaching for the side of his neck with one hand, grimacing at the dart that had lodged between his shoulder and neck, injecting a fast-acting paralytic into his bloodstream. “Foul play,” he gasped while stumbling back a step. “Watch out, man!”

O’Sullivan aimed towards the trees beyond Vernier, suspiciously narrowing his eyes as though it would somehow improve his eyesight while starting to creep back towards the cabin.

His grip slipped on his rifle as a net wrapped around him from behind, pinning his arms at his sides as the rifle fell into the snow.

Walsh was the first out of the trees and shot a paralytic dart at O’Sullivan before slightly lowering the barrel of her tranquilizer gun.

Natasha and Chiba were a step behind, each of them hurrying over to get the rifles out of reach and secure Vernier and O’Sullivan.

“Evans and I are going to try breaching the back,” Garcia informed over the comms.

“Go ahead.” Clint forced his way through the last snow drift blocking his way into the clearing. “Everything looking good for containment over there?”

“We’re getting cuffs on Vernier,” Chiba said with a glance up at Clint.

He nodded as Natasha pointedly added, “But feel free to come help move O’Sullivan with me.”

“Hold on, I’ve got some snow to fight through,” Clint called back.

They maneuvered Vernier and O’Sullivan back into the cabin while Garcia and Evans successfully entered and started to search for SHIELD gear and weapons.

Natasha tasked Walsh and Chiba with supervising Vernier and O’Sullivan while she and Clint joined the search, adding anything they could pull evidence of their employer from to their search efforts.

A few minutes in, Garcia’s radio crackled with a message from the Quinjet pilot. “We may, uh, have a slight problem with that storm blowing in faster than we expected unless if you’re already on your way back. And if you’re not, I’d advise sheltering ASAP.”

Garcia glanced around at everyone while unclipping the radio from her belt. “With Iris worried for the weather and what we still need to do here, I don’t think there’s any way for us to make it back fast enough without ending up outside in the snow unless if we rush now.”

“We’ll shelter here,” Natasha replied with a little nod before slightly raising her voice. “Walsh, Chiba, did you catch that?”

“I’d rather stay than trek through a blizzard,” Chiba called back.

“Copy that,” Garcia said into the radio.

“On the bright side,” Clint chipperly started to say while shrugging off his quiver, setting it down before unzipping his coat, “guess this means we can really take our time in here.”

Natasha similarly started taking off her coat, prompting the other agents to follow suit. “Does anyone want to volunteer for managing the fireplace?”

“I can tackle that,” Evans volunteered.

“Great.” Clint didn’t pause as a particularly forceful gust of wind buffeted the nearest windows. “Let’s get comfy.”

He helped get the net off of O’Sullivan so that Walsh and Chiba could more securely restrain Vernier and O’Sullivan before the paralytic started to wear off.

They attempted glares as they were shifted, Vernier especially focusing on Clint.

“I ‘member you,” he managed to say, his words partially slurring together. “Hired us for those SHIELD attacks.”

Clint fought to keep his jaw from clenching. “One of those faces, I guess.”

No need to be too transparent with the other agents about his specific role in events. They weren’t ones that seemed to know or suspect that he had played a part in helping Loki, and they’d all probably be better off if it stayed that way.

O’Sullivan suspiciously narrowed his eyes at Clint but said nothing, only trying to subtly wriggle feeling back into his arms.

Natasha had paused in her personal walkthrough of the cabin to casually watch the exchange, otherwise seeming engaged in checking over a stack of various types of ammunition.

“I dunno,” Vernier continued to Clint, “I’m good with faces.” He tried to crane his head up to look at Walsh and Chiba. “Something y’all should remember.”

“We’re not the ones that were ridiculously easy to take by surprise,” Chiba flatly said, prompting an annoyed frown from Vernier.

“It’s a solid point,” Clint added with a nod before focusing on Walsh and Chiba. “Both of you good for shifting on guard duty after dinner?”

Walsh shrugged with one shoulder as Chiba nodded. “Works for me.”

“Great.” Clint started walking towards Natasha, meeting the unspoken question in her eyes as he walked up. “They’re not bothering me,” he murmured. “Not like they were too involved or close.”

“Good.” She coyly tilted her head to the side. “Are you planning on taking charge for dinner?”

“I can, figure we should get that going.” He arched an eyebrow at her. “You want to help come up with a plan?”

“Luckily they seem to have a decent stock for supplies.” Natasha opened the nearest cupboard and started to scan over the ingredients inside. “Plenty of mac and cheese and Hamburger Helper.”

Clint had opted to check the fridge first. “Looks like they’ve got some thawed hamburger, actually. Should be enough to go around.”

They communally decided on which flavor of Hamburger Helper to make, Clint tackling the cooking while Natasha helped Garcia and Evans sort through Vernier and O’Sullivan’s gun stash, not finding any SHIELD weapons among them.

She and Evans took the next shift for supervising Vernier and O’Sullivan, briefly allowing them the freedom of one available arm to eat with before resecuring their hands.

After eating Vernier went ahead and started attempting to sleep, whereas O’Sullivan decided to finally strike up a conversation.

“So, what’s the plan here?” He nodded at the SHIELD patches on Evans’ uniform jacket. “It’s a long time for SHIELD to take to bring us in after helping to run those attacks back in May.”

Faint amusement crossed Natasha’s expression, something calculating in her gaze. “Only if you think you’re that important a priority.”

He leaned slightly forward without breaking eye contact. “Breaking into a top secret agency’s bases and killing personnel on the way? Organizations tend to take security breaches like that at least a little personally.” He started to smirk as Evans shifted. “You want to know if I killed any of your friends?”

Vernier gave up on trying to sleep, openly watching as Evans frowned, clearly biting back a response.

“I mean, there were so many,” O’Sullivan dismissively started to say, his attention focused on Evans, “but there was this one in particular I caught by surprise-.”

“Is this what you’ve been bragging about to get new jobs?” Natasha interrupted, not at all trying to mask the warning that flashed in her eyes before returning to cool regard. “Do you mention how much help you had too, or do you leave that out to sound more impressive?”

O’Sullivan cocked his head to the side, his gaze appraisingly darting between her and Evans. “Turns out there are some lucrative doors that killing SHIELD agents can open.”

Evans instinctively clenched a fist. “Don’t forget that you’re the one caught in your own cabin.”

“Not for long,” he grunted while pushing up with his knees to lunge at Evans.

He yelped as Natasha punched him in the face before shoving him back and standing over him, her expression dark. “You want to try that again?”

Beside him, Vernier shrank back, something nervous in his expression while watching Natasha.

O’Sullivan groaned and grimaced at the movement, blood freely running from his nose. “Fuck!” he spat at her, his voice strained into a whine. “Thas my fuckin’ nose, you bitch!”

“You’ll heal.” Natasha waited for a moment to see that O’Sullivan didn’t appear to be attempting to try anything else outside of whimpering in pain before angling back to her seat with a glance in the direction of where Clint was supposed to be napping in a recliner.

He shrugged at her and mouthed, “Good call,” before laying back down.

Vernier stayed perfectly still as Natasha looked at him.

“How lucrative of jobs have you been taking?”

“Good enough.”

“Mm,” she hummed while pulling a phone out of a pocket and holding it up. “Any idea how easy it will be to bypass your passcode, make a few calls from your history? It doesn’t take much to permanently ruin a mercenary’s reputation, but some of those employers... well.” She devilishly smirked and ignored Evans casting her a curious side look. “I’d be less worried about SHIELD painting a target on your backs.”

“You really think a little threatening is going to get me that forthcoming?” Vernier boldly countered. “Easy to talk, another to back up.”

Natasha gave a little side nod. “Of course. So I’ll let you in on a little secret.” She purposefully tilted her head to the side and thoughtfully paused. “I’ve heard what happened to someone just thought to have spilled secrets about the Golden Minotaurs. They nearly bled him dry but stopped just long enough to make sure he was still conscious before tossing him into the pigs and enjoying the screams.”

“Could just be a nice guess and story,” O’Sullivan grunted after he exchanged a telling look with Vernier.

“Hmm.” Natasha casually shrugged. “Did you know they like to give a branded gun toothbrush to members? Easy to miss, just as easy to spot if you know to look for it.”

Vernier clenched his jaw. “So you know the organization. Doesn’t mean you know a contact.”

“They give assignments from the 406 area code. Montana.”

“Fuck,” O’Sullivan hissed beneath his breath, his shoulders slumping forward.

Evans successfully kept from gaping at Natasha while Vernier glared. “So are you planning on handing us over or just threatening?”

“That all depends on how forthcoming you are,” she replied with a sharp smile.

Vernier looked away after a moment, prompting Evans to clear his throat. “What jobs have you been doing for the Golden Minotaurs?”

While O’Sullivan mostly groaned in continued pain, Vernier reluctantly submitted to Natasha and Evans’ joint interrogation, laying out what they had done since helping Loki and revealing that they hadn’t managed to get a hold of any significant SHIELD weapons.

Once she was satisfied for information, Natasha let Vernier fall asleep, O’Sullivan having unsurprisingly nodded off a ways into the interrogation. Evans varied between reading and keeping an eye on them until Vernier was definitely asleep, prompting him to raise an eyebrow at Natasha.

“Can I ask how you know so much about the Golden Minotaurs? I’m not necessarily surprised that I’ve never heard of them, but that sounds like a lot more than a faint story.”

“I’ve dealt with one of their former lieutenants before.” She paused as a gust of wind briefly wailed against the nearest window. “They’ve managed to be relatively quiet in the years since, I wouldn’t be shocked they haven’t come up before. There are plenty of ideologies to go around.”

“Mm.” Evans nodded. “So we lucked out with a lead.”

“If we take it the right way.”

They were mutually quiet for the rest of their watch, Natasha checking the text updates on Thor’s return to Asgard and otherwise keeping to her own thoughts.

The fact that she was actually reflecting on how handling O’Sullivan and Vernier would have gone over with the rest of the Avengers without expecting the worst was some sort of testament to their functionality, even while agreeing that it was a matter better suited for SHIELD.

Not least of all because it meant less of explaining their decisions along the way. Fury’s trust and Clint and Natasha’s reputations carried more than enough weight to the other agents to let them call the shots.

As much as he wasn’t openly talking about it, Natasha knew Clint needed that chance. Time was one thing to assuage the guilt, something actionable quite another.

She’d sleep a little better knowing there was one less thing for him to hurt over.

Fully conscious of Evans staying alert beside her and that they were still guarding two frustrated mercenaries, she resisted the urge to twist around and glance back to Clint to gauge how well he was actually resting.

Whatever feelings he may have been swept up into with the day’s events, they both knew full well he could put them aside until after they were back at the Tower and that he was in a good spot for facing them. He’d let her in when there weren’t strangers in the mix.

Assuming Clint wanted to. She couldn’t shake coming back to dwell on the possible ramifications of his drawing back from some of their usual routines.

Natasha could be honest with herself that the idea of losing their easy way with one another, losing him, terrified her like little else did. Clint was her constant, the person she could always depend on and trust to be all of herself around.

They needed to have a conversation, see if she needed to brace to let him go if something had changed. Regardless of how much she cared.

She debated exactly what she wanted to tell him through the rest of the watch before volunteering to wake Clint and Garcia up, giving them a quiet summary of the interrogation’s findings before taking over the recliner and forcing herself not to think about Clint as she fell asleep.

His watch was uneventful to start beyond helping Garcia with some crossword answers and trying not to distract himself with his thoughts until he started getting new messages in the team chat a couple hours in.

The Ten Rings had apparently bombed the Ali Al Salem Air Base, prompting the reveal of rebranding Rhodey in the War Machine armor as Iron Patriot as a part of the U.S. government’s response to the attack. There was still no evidence for the mechanism of the bombings, only a pointed video from the Mandarin taking credit for the attack.

From how Tony and Steve were agreeing that there wasn’t anything particularly useful for the Avengers to do in the moment without knowing more, Clint opted not to wake Natasha up prematurely.

Chiba had gotten up to check the outside conditions while Walsh started sorting through breakfast options, inadvertently rousing Vernier and O’Sullivan in the process.

The latter experimentally scrunched his face up only to cringe, while the former blinked into awareness before focusing on Clint.

“You all decided what you’re doing with us yet?” he drily asked. “Least you can do is let us know.”

“We’ll keep you posted,” Clint replied in a matching tone.

Vernier’s response was interrupted by Chiba coming back inside. “Definitely nice and snowed in out there, anything with the road isn’t going to be possible for days. But I did radio our ride, good news is that landing outside seems possible, bad news that it’s going to take a bit to thoroughly de-ice and get up in the air.”

“Sounds like time to get some breakfast in first,” Walsh said while leaning out of the kitchen area, glancing to everyone as Natasha and Evans clearly woke up. “Looking at a couple types of cereal and toast, probably.”

“And what the hell is the plan for us?” Vernier loudly asked, his brow deeply furrowed in annoyance.

Clint cast him a deceptively cheerful smile. “Great news, you’re going to give even more information on the Golden Minotaurs after coming with us. Hope you don’t mind flying.”

Notes:

I PROMISE we're getting into some Iron Man 3 events and working towards Clint and Natasha having their conversation soon, haha!

Chapter 31

Notes:

Familiarity with the extended scene from the Avengers movie of Bruce's arrival on the Helicarrier bridge isn't required to understand a little bit of conversation in this chapter, but it certainly helps!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

SHIELD took custody of Vernier and O’Sullivan at the nearest base without issue, Clint sticking nearby through the process until they were in cells while Natasha brought herself up to speed on the recent Mandarin bombing between SHIELD and Avengers intel.

They reconvened on the Quinjet assigned to take them back to Avengers Tower. As Clint walked up into the open bay, he found Natasha presumably working on her mission report on a tablet while simultaneously holding a discussion with the pilot about whether various museums around the world were worth a visit.

“I know Te Papa’s the big one in Wellington,” Clint said as they both glanced at him, “but the Wellington Museum was also neat if you’ve got a couple hours to spare and want some history.”

The pilot nodded. “Huh, I’ll keep that in mind.” A second later he cleared his throat and squared his shoulders. “I take it both of you are ready to get in the air then?”

“We should be all good,” Clint agreed while heading for the seat by Natasha.

She set the tablet aside on the other seat before starting to buckle herself in. “What he said.”

The pilot went to get settled in the cockpit as Clint also buckled in and leaned slightly over to look at the tablet as Natasha pulled it back onto her lap.

“Business or pleasure?” he asked, his voice light with teasing.

She rolled her eyes and tilted the screen for him to get a better look. “Business. We are technically consultants today.”

“And after remembering how Tony’s been as a consultant, I think we’ve got some wiggle room.” Clint scrolled up a little ways in the body of the report before returning to where Natasha had left off. “Did you write all of this while talking?”

“Only half.” She gently nudged his knee with hers. “I assume everything went well for moving O’Sullivan and Vernier?”

“No issues, got ‘em booked.” He paused for a moment and exhaled, slightly tipping his head back. “For not that big of a thing it feels pretty damn good, I’ll admit.”

Natasha arched an eyebrow. “Is it that much of a surprise?”

“Probably shouldn’t be, but it’s more of a relief than I expected.” Clint paused for a second to purse his lips before continuing. “I know I’ve been avoiding asking about the mercs out of a bit of fear but yeah, I needed this.”

She cast him a supportive smile. “I’m glad.”

He self-consciously cleared his throat after a moment. “Did I miss anything important from the team?”

“Happy’s been extra careful on Stark Industries security, nothing significant for new details about the bombing, but every alphabet agency is anxiously working on it. And the team still agrees that there’s not anything for us to do until we get something substantial.”

“Not to jinx it, but maybe we’ll actually get a semi-calm holiday for once with the way things are going.”

Natasha quietly huffed. “If we’re lucky.”

They focused on finishing up their report through the rest of the flight and sent it to Fury as soon as they landed at Avengers Tower before heading inside, Natasha unable to hold back a yawn.

“We shouldn’t have anything you need to stay awake for,” Clint immediately said. “And I know you probably didn’t even actually fall significantly asleep earlier.”

She slightly frowned but inclined her head towards him in a little nod. “I want to at least check in with Steve and Bruce first.” Before Clint could say anything she added, “I promise I’ll get some sleep after.”

With a little help for coordination from JARVIS, they met Steve and Bruce in the war room.

“How’d your mission go?” Steve asked as he settled in his seat.

“The mercs are leading to bigger fish and they’re not still out there,” Clint said. “It was good to take care of.”

Bruce nodded. “It sounded like it.”

“Anything new from Tony or Rhodey?” Natasha asked after a moment of pause.

Steve shook his head. “Tony’s keeping himself occupied but did say he was supposed to have met Rhodey for lunch, and I was imagining that if there were any updates from SHIELD you might be the first to know.”

Natasha crossed her arms and leaned against the table. “There’s nothing new to add from SHIELD, this scene seems just as evidence bare as the others, but we’ll hear if that changes.”

“And we definitely won’t hear anything the alphabet agencies learn otherwise,” Clint muttered, eliciting a quiet snort from Bruce.

“We should talk about trying to search out the Ten Rings directly, see if we can’t get at least a step ahead,” Steve tightly said. “We’ve let too many people get hurt by sitting back on a lack of evidence.”

“We know,” Natasha replied with a frown. “But anyone in the intelligence community can tell you they certainly know how to stay hidden. We’re not better off searching the whole world on a slim chance of finding them, we’re better off waiting for an actionable lead.”

Bruce cleared his throat. “I don’t want to say it either but she’s right, Steve.”

He clenched his jaw and slightly narrowed his eyes. “We need to do something.”

Clint nodded. “We do, but we can start with something more realistic than looking for a needle in a haystack.” He leaned forward in his seat. “I know it sucks, man, but it’s no good to stretch ourselves thin.”

“And what are you thinking we should do?” Steve asked, his voice still tight.

“Help with aid efforts for the surviving victims and their families, and help the investigation where we can.” Clint pointedly caught Steve’s eye. “Hell, considering the Iron Patriot rebrand, U.S. government’s a lot more likely to want Captain America on board than the Avengers, if you wanted to leverage that.”

“It’s a start,” Steve drily admitted after a moment, the set of his jaw fractionally relaxing.

“And Tony should tell us if he learned anything new from Rhodey to help us know what to do,” Bruce added as he watched Steve. “We’re not sitting on our hands, just being smart about how we respond.”

“I get it, but I don’t like it.”

“We can work with that,” Natasha replied, quick to add, “Anything else to raise, while we’re all here?”

Steve’s serious demeanor was instantly replaced with a small smile. “If anyone wants to write any inspirational notes or something, I’m planning on making some visits in uniform to a few children’s hospitals on Christmas Eve and Christmas, hand out some presents and visit with them.”

Clint smiled back. “Kids are gonna love that.”

“I hope so.”

Bruce absentmindedly adjusted his glasses. “Are you wanting notes in general or notes from the Avengers specifically?”

“Either way,” Steve said with a little shrug. “We can always sign them from the team in general or just use me and Tony.”

Natasha approvingly nodded. “We’ll see what we can come up with.”

They were all silent for a moment before Bruce again cleared his throat and glanced between Clint and Natasha. “Are either of you hungry? I tried a new enchilada recipe that ended up being a little bigger of a batch than I expected, happy to share it.”

“I’m down for enchiladas,” Clint said with a shrug, “could start to write up some notes at the same time.”

She added a shrug of her own. “I would appreciate that.”

Enchiladas and notes turned into Bruce sharing a few travel stories that spurred Clint and Natasha to add their own, continuing as Steve joined them after a bit.

“Aw man,” Clint laughed in response to Steve talking about his time in Belgium, “we’ve gotta get you some croquettes aux crovettes without a war going on, they’re good.”

Steve smiled and innocently held up both hands. “I’m more than willing to try any food again.”

“So we need a list?” Natasha asked with a faint smirk. “Do we break it down by type of food or country?”

“It’s not that extreme,” Steve started to say, lighthearted defensiveness in his tone.

Bruce quietly chuckled. “Still, New York’s not a terrible place to be for a little culinary exploration outside of present company’s knowledge. Or at least we can help steer you for where to go.”

“And internet searches, find some reviews.”

“Sometimes I forget that you are technically an old man, and then you remind me like this,” Natasha wryly remarked, her smirk only widening as Steve sighed.

“I may be old, but at least I’m not a fossil.”

Clint nodded. “And you get points for not using Internet Explorer and Bing.”

“Careful, I’m about to feel old if we go much further,” Bruce amusedly said while comfortably leaning back in his seat.

Natasha arched an eyebrow at him, a teasing sparkle in her eyes. “Coming from the guy who asked whether there was a Commodore 64 aboard the Helicarrier?”

Bruce casually shrugged. “SHIELD is full of surprises, you never know.”

“I’ll admit that it threw me for a moment,” Natasha said after a second, “trying to figure out how an ancient computer would help with tracking gamma.”

Steve lightheartedly groaned. “Oh c’mon, I thought I was just old, not older than ancient.”

“It depends on how insistent you are to read the comment section,” Natasha replied with another smirk, immediately eliciting a peal of laughter from Clint.

“Hey, sometimes they’re informative,” Steve defended with a grin and shake of his head. “I’m still trying to catch up on plenty of things.”

“And the other ninety-five percent of the time they’re just going to make you angry,” Clint said as he laughed.

Steve nodded in response. “That’s… also decently true.”

“Personally I’d stick to only looking at reviews. One less source of unnecessary stress in life,” Bruce mildly said.

Clint suddenly snapped his fingers. “Emma Maes’ place over in Queens!” He grinned at Natasha. “She’d probably have croquettes aux crovettes on the menu, right?”

“Probably.”

Steve had raised both eyebrows at them. “This sounds like there’s a bit of a story behind it.”

Clint and Natasha exchanged a side glance before she shrugged one shoulder at him.

“It’s a funny sequence of events actually,” he started to say, “starting with this infiltration assignment in Chicago…”

--

Once the group conversation stopped in agreement that it was getting late, Natasha finally went to sleep, blissfully uninterrupted for several hours until she woke up to the sound of JARVIS’ voice.

“Excuse me, Miss Romanoff, but Miss Potts is urgently attempting to contact you.”

Natasha jolted up and dived for her phone, brushing aside a couple missed calls to answer an active one.

“Pepper?”

She loudly sighed in relief. “Oh my god, Natasha!” There was no missing the undercurrent of panic in her voice. “I am so sorry about the hour but I… I wasn’t sure who else to call and I… oh my god, I don’t know what to do.”

“Pepper.” Natasha couldn’t help a frown and let concern clearly bleed through her voice. “What happened?”

“It…” Pepper took a deep breath before continuing, her words coming slightly rushed. “Tony, he had a nightmare and this new suit he’s been working on, he summoned it in his sleep and I, I was waking up to help him when it grabbed me like I was a threat. He knocked it apart almost immediately but my heart won’t stop racing and I feel terrible for leaving him alone right now but I’m so…” She harshly breathed in as her voice broke. “I’m a little scared and don’t know what to do, Nat.”

Natasha silently mouthed a swear into the dark before responding. “Do you want to stay?”

“Yes,” Pepper quickly said, a tearful underlay to her voice, “yes. I know it was an accident, it just… I’m slightly terrified of what could have happened and I should be with Tony and talking to Tony but this…” She momentarily faltered. “Being pinned down by the suit and just staring at those eyes, I don’t know how to respond to this.”

“Take a deep breath, you need to take care of yourself first.” Natasha started to fully push herself out from under the covers, internally debating the quickest way to get to Malibu if needed. “It’s perfectly understandable that you’re scared, but it is nothing you can’t get past.”

Pepper obligingly inhaled and exhaled before replying. “God, I didn’t even know he was working on something he could summon in his sleep like that.”

“Tony’s increasingly proactive,” Natasha thoughtfully murmured before adding, “Do you want any of us to head down there?”

“I need to talk to him before making that call.” Pepper quietly sighed, a touch of ruefulness in her tone. “To think this was supposed to be a relaxed holiday.”

Natasha softly hummed in agreement as she settled on the edge of her bed. “Do you want to talk things out or be distracted?”

“Ah, I think a little distraction would be nice right now, actually.” Pepper cleared her throat. “Did everything go alright with you and Clint? How has he been responding?”

“Other than getting snowed in for a night, it went well. And it was cathartic for Clint, cleaning up a loose end.”

“Snowed in somewhere indoors, I hope.”

“Thankfully. Indoors and heated.”

Concern lined Pepper’s voice. “Is that not normal?”

Natasha made sure to keep her voice as neutral as possible. “The field’s always a little unpredictable.” Without pausing, she continued. “I hear congratulations are in order for SI sustainably running so many of New York City’s Christmas lights.”

“It’s good to be able to do one more thing for the city.”

“And the good press doesn’t hurt.”

Pepper managed a short laugh. “I certainly won’t complain about it.”

They chatted for another solid hour before Pepper decided she was ready to talk to Tony about the morning’s events, leaving Natasha to her thoughts as she got ready for the day.

She would be sure to follow up with Pepper later, admittedly more concerned about Tony’s nightmare reaction than she had let on in the conversation. There was undoubtedly a connection to being separate from the rest of the team, opening the question of how much processing he had actually done about the battle.

She understood taking time and the ups and downs of making progress, but if Tony was going to become a field liability in the meantime… it was a risk she didn’t want them to take.

So much for a calm holiday.

Notes:

Shout out to the 2012 timeline on the MCU wiki, I've still taken a few liberties but it's been handy to refer to for Iron Man 3 events as we delve more fully into those...

Chapter 32

Notes:

Sorry about this taking a little longer than I usually like to post, there was a little bit of life fun in between!

Also full disclaimer: there are still probably some liberties taken with NYC traffic (though thank goodness for map directions giving me a baseline, haha!).

I also slightly reference the "Ice Skating" chapter of "the most wonderful time" in this, you don't need to have read that for the reference to make sense but it's an extra layer if you want!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

In almost perfect timing, Natasha called while he was sitting at a red light.

“Hey,” Clint brightly said as he answered and set the phone on speaker, “what’s up?”

“Where are you?”

“Just dropped Jane off at JFK and making my way over to that Dun-Well Doughnut place, thought I’d pick up something fun for breakfast since I’m out here already.” He paused for a half second, a note of concern creeping into his voice. “Do I need to hurry back instead?”

“No emergency,” Natasha reassured, “just something I want your perspective on.”

His stomach did a nervous flip despite figuring it probably wasn’t something personal. “Anything I should think about in advance?”

“I’m worried for Tony.”

“Okay.” Clint slowly nodded to himself. “So how not emergency are we really talking?”

“I don’t think we need to rush to Malibu, at least right now.” She barely paused before continuing. “I’ll explain when you’re back.” A lighter note crossed her tone. “And I expect donuts in hand, Barton.”

He chuckled. “Promise I won’t be long unless if traffic acts up.”

“Don’t tempt it,” Natasha mildly warned before saying, “Let me know when to expect you.”

“Will do.”

Traffic and the existing line for donuts worked in Clint’s favor, allowing him to get back to the Tower within an hour.

Natasha met him in the communal kitchen, each of them snagging their donut of choice and leaning back onto the counters across from each other before delving into conversation.

“So what’s up with Tony?” Clint asked after taking a bite.

She glanced once at the doorway to double check that no one else was around before replying. “He’s done something with his new suit so he can directly summon it, even in his sleep. Apparently he had a nightmare and it grabbed Pepper in response.”

Surprise flashed through Clint’s eyes. “Oh shit. Is she okay?”

“Tony woke up and powered the suit down before anything could happen, but she’s shaken.” Natasha pursed her lips for a moment. “I don’t think we should respond without following up for where he’s at this afternoon, but I’m not confident that he’ll recognize this as enough of a warning sign.”

“Mm, I dunno,” Clint said after another mouthful of donut. “Accidentally endangering Pepper’s almost definitely a wake-up call, hard to pretend like he’s managing as well in the face of that happening. But beyond that, yeah, might be a good time to have a stronger conversation about coping mechanisms.”

Natasha nodded and waited for several moments before saying anything more, a barely perceptible note of hesitation in her voice. “Do you think we should let Steve and Bruce know?”

“Probably better to wait until we know where he’s at, not involve them unless if we have to.” He took another bite of donut before continuing. “Means there’s still quite a bit to the day before doing anything, though.”

She raised a brow at him. “What do you have in mind?”

“It’s a little cliché, but I’ve never really been in New York for long around the holidays, I kind of want to do some of the popular things. Check out all the store holiday displays, the Union Square market, maybe try some ice skating and all.” He laughed as she smirked at him. “I don’t promise that I’ve improved at all, that backup plan of being an ice dancer still isn’t that promising.”

“Are you asking me to show you how again?” Natasha teased.

Clint smiled and broadly shrugged. “I probably need it.” After a second he self-consciously ducked his chin and cleared his throat. “But no pressure obviously if you’ve got something else you want to do-.”

Her expression was soft as she cut him off. “No, it sounds like a nice time.” She bobbed her head in the direction of the doorway. “Anything you need to do before we get going?”

“Nope.” Clint effectively shoved the rest of his donut into his mouth while pushing off the counter to take a step forward. “What do you want to start with?” he asked as he finished chewing.

“Mm, stores might be best to tackle first this close to Christmas, traffic’s already a gamble regardless.”

He shook his head with a little chuckle as they left the kitchen. “Listen to that, we sound so pedestrian.”

“It’s an adjustment,” she agreed with a faint smile.

Natasha separated on their way to the garage to snag her coat and wallet before meeting back up with Clint at the car.

He tried to squash the anxious flutters starting up in his stomach as they left. It was just them agreeing to do something spontaneous together, nothing unusual. There was no reason to think too much about ‘what if’ outcomes and get too caught up in his head instead of just enjoying a nice time with Natasha.

Especially when she cast him a curious side look. “You’re being awfully quiet.”

“Uh, sorry. Just thinking.” He quickly added, “Nothing to be concerned about, just… thinking. Reflectively.”

She stared at him for a long moment, her gaze discerning, before nodding. “If you want to talk, I’m here.”

Clint warmly smiled back at her. “I know.”

They lucked out with only briefly getting caught up in traffic and finding a decent parking spot within a short walk away from the stores on 5th Avenue.

All of the window displays were impressive works of handicraft, showcasing various elaborately decorated scenes and characters.

Clint paused with a whistle in front of Bergdorf Goodman. “Perspective and follies. That might be my favorite yet.”

“Does it remind you of Birmingham?” Natasha leaned over to ask, a wry twist to her voice.

“At that Hughes and Sons party?” He snorted. “Absolutely. I’m still impressed by that move you pulled on the mark.”

She shrugged. “I’m just glad it worked.”

“You never cease to amaze,” he brightly said.

Natasha glanced down with a smile. “And as always I appreciate the flattery.” After a moment she lightly bumped into his side. “You had a pretty neat move to help save the day yourself, Barton.”

“All in a day’s work,” he replied with a little chuckle.

They continued past the various displays and rounded back on the other side of the street before Natasha again nudged Clint.

“I’m remembering that there’s actually a reference to the Avengers in the Macy’s displays, according to book club.”

“Man, book club really talks about everything.”

She lightheartedly rolled her eyes. “Within reason.”

“It’s just funny.” He paused for a second before continuing. “Finish up here, check out the Union Square market, then Macy’s and maybe some ice skating after that?”

“As long as we spend some decent time in the market.”

“Just what I was thinking.” Halfway back to the car, Clint made a sudden thoughtful noise. “We should do something special to mark this, pick up ornaments or something for each other.”

Natasha bobbed her head in a little nod. “I’m on board with the idea.”

The market was semi-busy despite only having technically opened a little before they arrived, just enough of a crowd for them to slip into without feeling too exposed. Per Clint’s idea, they separated in search of a fitting ornament for the other and texted when it was okay to meet back up.

“I also got something for you to have now,” Natasha said, smiling as she fished an item out of one of her shopping bags.

“I’m curious…” He smiled back at the thick purple and black beanie she had in hand. “Aww, Nat, thanks.”

She moved closer to help put it on him. “I don’t know why you didn’t grab one before we left, there’s no point in freezing your ears off.”

“I appreciate it.” Clint straightened the beanie as she stepped back and grinned at Natasha. “How do I look?”

“Warmer.” She nodded towards the stalls. “But c’mon, I want a second opinion on something that might be perfect for Nick.”

After agreeing on a Goose-toned set of crocheted cat coasters for Fury, they tried out a few food stalls while they finished browsing before making their way over to Macy’s.

They paused the most at the displays that had model balloons and footage from the Thanksgiving parades and at the model of Avengers Tower with a little Iron Man, Captain America, and Hulk hanging above in addition to a short message thanking all who helped during the attack and in rebuilding efforts around Manhattan.

“It’s nice to be reminded that we made an impact,” Clint murmured.

Natasha brushed her fingers against the glass in front of Avengers Tower, her gaze fixed on the message. “It’s a strong statement about the Avengers.”

“Nice to be liked too.”

“I never really thought about being a symbol of hope before.”

He supportively brushed the back of his hand against hers. “It’s different for sure.”

They stared at the window for a long moment in shared silence before moving on, proceeding past the rest of the displays before picking an ice skating rink (per what Natasha had also heard from book club, funnily enough).

Unsurprisingly, she took to the ice like a natural, confidently heading out a ways into the center before heading back to where Clint was still tentatively getting a feel for being on the ice again.

Natasha openly smirked at him. “This is definitely not something to add to your resume.”

“I’m just getting back to it,” he said while looking at his feet.

“Clint.” As he glanced up she moved to his right and grabbed his hand. “Remember one foot in front of the other, push and glide. Head up to keep your balance.”

He followed her guiding movements for several moments until they both felt confident enough to let go of the other’s hand so Clint could skate on his own, successfully picking up some speed and working in a loop back to Natasha.

“See, I’m already picking it up faster than last time,” he told her with a broad smile.

“I’d still reconsider an ice dancer backup plan, hot shot,” she teased before nodding toward the far end of the rink. “Let’s take a lap.”

They easily kept pace with each other and went around the rink for about half a lap before they veered to the center at Clint’s suggestion of teaching him how to skate backwards.

“Just remember that this is only what I unofficially know,” she lightly warned before looking over her shoulder and pushed into a scissors movement for several feet before skating back to him. “It’s mostly in the knees and how you angle your feet.” She reached for his hand. “I’ll do it with you.”

“Right, let’s see…” He carefully started to imitate her movements, slowly working backwards and getting bolder with the movement after a few moments. “Enough of that and it’d definitely be a good workout.”

“It’s a thought.” They slowed down to start to curve back towards the center around a few other skaters before coming to a joint stop as several teens rushed past to the middle of the rink.

Clint ruefully chuckled. “Well now I just feel old, watching them go like that.”

“Better old than ancient.”

“Fair point.” He slightly squeezed Natasha’s hand. “May as well take a full lap, if you want?”

She didn’t reply before tugging him with her to the side, neither of them letting go as they started on another lap of the rink.

As they finished a full lap and a half, Natasha prompted them to stop by the wall and focused on Clint. “You’re starting to turn red out here, probably worth taking a break.”

“Right back at you.” He barely paused before continuing. “Hot chocolate? My treat.”

“Thank you.”

They settled side by side at a picnic table with their admittedly overpriced hot chocolates in hand, each taking a few sips before Clint curiously frowned at Natasha as she set her cup down and stared at it for a moment.

“Wait, is there something wrong with it? We can go back-.”

“No,” she quickly reassured, “the hot chocolate is great.” She took a deep breath and looked him directly in the eyes after glancing around them, something vulnerable in her expression and her voice quiet. “There’s something important I want to talk to you about.”

His stomach dropped in apprehension with simultaneous flutters. “Uh, good important or bad important?”

“I wouldn’t worry, I just…” She briefly bit at her lower lip before continuing, her words coming in a slight rush. “I’ve known I need to bring this up for a while now and I just want to get it out there. Without giving too much of a speech, the past year has made me reflect more and more on how important you are to me and I don’t want to lose what we have, Clint. I don’t expect you to reciprocate any romantic feelings and I hope my having them doesn’t change anything about our partnership and teamwork-.”

“Natasha, I love you,” he blurted as he broke into a giddy grin and reached for her hand. “I’ve been stressing about when and how to tell you for too long now, I love you.”

She squeezed his hand and smiled. “I love you too.”

“Can I kiss you?” he almost shyly asked.

Natasha answered by leaning over to kiss him, slow and soft before pulling back to breathe while intensely looking Clint in the eyes for a long moment before smirking. “Is it really that easy to leave you speechless?”

“Uh, I’m just processing that this is really happening.” He pulled at his collar with his free hand. “You had me sweating there for a moment for what you were gonna say, so kissing me is a great development instead. I’m just… I love you, Tasha.”

She prompted another kiss with a smile, reaching to cradle his face for a long moment.

“We could always turn the rest of the day into an official date now, take a little more time for ourselves,” she murmured when she again pulled back.

“Great idea. Some more skating and then start thinking about dinner options?”

“It’s a plan.” She kept on holding his hand while taking another sip of her hot chocolate. “Are you okay if we keep this to ourselves for a bit?”

“Beyond how everyone else figures we’ve already been more of a thing? Yeah.”

Natasha made an amused sound. “I can’t decide if it’ll be helpful to have that wiggle room.”

He lightly bumped his knee against hers. “I’m just glad we caught up.”

They each finished off their hot chocolates before continuing to make laps around the rink and work on skating backwards, staying hand in hand for most of the time before they opted to start on making a dinner decision.

“Pepper thought ahead and told me that she thinks Tony’s doing better,” Natasha noted as they started searching restaurant ideas back in the car.

Clint nodded. “That’s good, but selfishly I’m very grateful so we don’t have to get distracted now.” Before she could reply he made a thoughtful sound and held over his phone. “It’s been a while since we’ve gone for Thai, and it’s by that place with those macarons you love for a dessert idea.”

“Traffic’s not bad either,” she teased while starting the directions on his phone.

Ironically, they ended up rerouting around an accident but otherwise made it to the restaurant in good time and settled in under swags of string lights in a booth where they could both keep an eye on the doors and street.

After ordering, Clint leaned closer across the table to Natasha, his eyes bright. “Y’know, I’m still riding the high this whole afternoon has been.”

“It’s certainly been a relief.” She echoed his movement and set her hand on his. “I was worried I was losing you before today, the way you were drawing back from doing some things together.”

“Oh god, no.” Clint awkwardly chuckled. “Just me getting self-conscious about too obviously being in love with you and being nervous to bring it up.” He adjusted his hand to link their fingers together. “I should say thanks for putting up with me.”

“Like I have that much room to talk in return,” she wryly said with a little huff before casting him a small smile. “If I hadn’t said something today, how much longer do you think we would’ve gone?”

He gave a long exhale. “Longer than we already should’ve.”

“Damn right,” she murmured while leaning closer to prompt a brief kiss.

Clint grinned at her after. “We have so much catching up to do.”

They made content conversation through dinner before Natasha pointedly nudged his calf with her foot towards the end of the meal. “We should get the macarons to go and head back for a little privacy.” She purposefully finished with a sly lip bite while holding his gaze.

“Yes,” he quickly agreed. “Great plan.”

Outside the restaurant, he couldn’t resist another kiss before they started to walk over to the bakery with the macarons, both admittedly keeping a quick pace.

Natasha frowned when her phone loudly buzzed after they ignored Clint’s, prompting them both to check their phones to see if it was coincidence or if they were needed.

“Steve for me,” Clint said.

“This had better be important,” Natasha murmured before answering, her tone casual. “Hey, what’s the emergency?”

“Sorry, I’m not trying to alarm, just hoping to get ahold of you and Clint quickly and JARVIS says you’re both out. Uh, it’s not really that important a thing but Bruce and I were talking about making it out to some of the light displays around the city tonight and were wondering if the two of you would want to tag along.”

Natasha covered the speaker with her hand and adjusted the phone slightly away to talk to Clint. “Team bonding with checking out Christmas lights.” She shrugged. “I’m fine either way, it wouldn’t be the end of the world to wait or we’d definitely have the place to ourselves.”

“And also raise some suspicion about saying no to just head back to the Tower otherwise.” Clint sighed. “We can do the lights.” He held up a hand as Natasha uncovered the phone. “But we’re not getting them macarons.”

She affectionately rolled her eyes while replying to Steve. “Which lights do you want to go to first?”

If Steve or Bruce had any comments about Clint and Natasha driving other together after knowing they had left the Tower some point earlier that day, they kept it to themselves.

While part of a walking tour through Dyker Heights, Steve quietly commentated in the back on some of Brooklyn’s changes over the years between oohing at the ways all the houses were decorated.

Clint brushed his hand against Natasha’s as they paused behind Steve and Bruce for a moment and leaned closer to briefly whisper in her ear. “Okay, I am glad that we decided to be good friends tonight.”

She wrapped her pinky around his for a moment. “It’ll be a nice memory.”

The four of them finished with seeing the Rockefeller Center tree before heading back to the Tower and arriving in the garage close enough to each other to ride up the elevator together.

“Thanks again for joining me,” Steve started to say. “It was a great night-.”

JARVIS suddenly cut him off. “Excuse my interruption, but I am rerouting you to the war room. There has been a bombing incident in Los Angeles.”

Natasha and Clint swore in near perfect unison while Bruce’s face fell and Steve clenched his jaw.

“How much information do we have, JARVIS?” he tightly asked.

“Very little at the moment, I’m afraid, but investigation is only beginning.”

Clint absentmindedly drummed his fingers against his thigh. “Can you get us on a line with Tony when we get up there?”

“Right away.”

They didn’t end up talking to Tony for long after learning that Happy had been injured in the bombing, leaving them in the midst of debating whether it was worth trying to get out to join him or not.

“It can’t be a mistake that it was that close,” Steve firmly said.

Bruce held back a sigh. “And without trying to push against that, if they wanted to try to get to Tony they could’ve just targeted his mansion instead. There’s a lot that feels odd about this but I don’t know that we can assume Tony’s as big a part anymore when the Mandarin’s addressed the president twice now when taking credit for this and Ali Al Salem. If anything, us being useful might be better closer to D.C., and it’s not as though the government is exactly asking for the Avengers.”

Natasha had folded her arms and leaned on the table. “I think we need to see if Happy knows anything and act from there before we think about leaving. Rhodey too, if he can share.”

“It’s at least six to seven hours in the air from here,” Clint added, “we can ask SHIELD about the possibility of leaving a Quinjet available to call on quickly if we need it, at least know we’ve got a slightly proactive plan in the works.”

Steve sighed. “I hate that this keeps on happening and setting us back in basically the same spot.”

“The Mandarin at least gave us more this time though,” Natasha said. “We know there’s a direct threat to President Ellis and we assume an indirect one to Tony.” She nodded at Steve. “Pull on your patriotic strings again, see if they’re more willing now to have Captain America on board again. Whatever they say will give us something to go forward on beyond Happy’s perspective and anything from Rhodey.”

“And otherwise sleep lightly,” Clint ruefully added. “This feels like it’ll get interesting.”

Notes:

So that happened... ;) Thanks for being here through this and for what comes next!

Chapter 33

Notes:

In the continual story of me overly researching minor details for fics, I did triple check the how of cell phone use on non-commercial flights, so without going into detail just know that that's based in something completely feasible!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

In hindsight, they probably should have predicted Tony threatening the Mandarin despite being advised not to do anything rash.

Natasha had immediately called in the Quinjet so she could set out to Malibu with Clint and Bruce, Steve regretfully staying behind to participate in some talks he had worked his way into in D.C.

Halfway through the flight, Bruce and Natasha were quietly discussing the highlights of a recent book they had read while Clint half listened and occasionally chimed in as he scrolled through the general intel file SHIELD had provided on a tablet.

He had a bad feeling about a news alert popping in from Maria, further confirmed by the actual contents of the alert.

“Oh shit.” He snapped his fingers at Bruce and Natasha without looking away from the screen. “Uh, guys? We’ve got a problem.”

In yet another news broadcast hijacking, the Ten Rings were apparently attacking Tony’s mansion.

Natasha sharply inhaled as she leaned over to look at the screen. “Bozhe moi.” She unbuckled to head up towards the pilots. “I’m going to see if we can go any faster, yell if something changes.”

As she left Clint turned the tablet for Bruce to see, eliciting a deep frown from him. “Oh shit.” He reached for his phone before pausing, his expression distraught. “There’s nothing we can do.”

“Looking that way,” Clint tightly said. He glanced up at Bruce and internally cringed at how pale he had gone. “I’ve gotta ask how you think you’re doing.”

“We’re not headed for a Code Green,” Bruce quietly said. “I’m just reeling.”

Clint was about to say something just as one of the helicopters outside the mansion launched a missile at the mansion, eliciting a frustrated hiss from him before he called, “Nat! They opened fire!”

“Oh my god,” Bruce breathed out, anxiously wrapping one arm around himself and covering his mouth with one hand. “They’re really going to kill Tony. Oh my god.”

“Goddammit,” Clint muttered beneath his breath as they watched the beginning impact to the mansion.

Natasha was another few seconds before coming back, her features set in a frustrated frown. “We’re pushing as fast as we can, they’ll let us know when it’ll get bumpy.” She paused for a half second as her jaw clenched. “How’s it looking?”

“Not great.” Clint glanced up from the footage to her and subtly shook his head. “Not seeing any Iron Man yet.”

She didn’t respond before sitting beside him, leaning in against his side as she watched the screen.

They each breathed a small sigh of relief as a helicopter went down from being hit with a piano, the relief short lived as it became evident that the mansion was physically sliding apart.

“C’mon, Stark,” Natasha breathed out.

A small explosion followed a repulsor blast at another helicopter, sending it careening out of control towards the mansion.

Bruce swallowed at the sight. “Oh no...” His voice barely came out above a strained whisper.

The mansion collapsed in on itself from the impact of the helicopter and fell into the sea with no sign of the Iron Man armor flying out from the debris as the news helicopter circled the area for several moments before leaving as the broadcast cut out.

They sat in stunned silence for a long moment, Natasha the first to break it. “I’m trying Pepper,” she quietly said while shifting away from Clint to stand a couple feet away.

He closed the broadcast window and pulled Maria’s message back up. “I’m talking to Hill.”

“Should I try Tony?” Bruce hesitantly asked after several seconds.

Clint cast him a sympathetic look. “Hate to say it but odds are pretty good he’s not picking up. Not necessarily because of the worst, but…” He awkwardly trailed off.

While Bruce stared at his phone in debate, a pit of dread had settled into Natasha’s stomach when Pepper didn’t answer, barely helped by reaching voicemail after several rings and knowing her phone was still functional.

Reasonably, Tony would have prioritized saving Pepper, and she wouldn’t be focused on her phone (if she even still had it accessible) in the moments after watching the mansion fall apart in front of her.

Natasha opted to immediately call again and left a message when she reached voicemail again. “Pepper, please call any of us after you get this. We saw what happened to the house and we’re halfway to Malibu. We’ll be there to help as soon as we can.” She paused for a half second before finishing with, “Be careful.”

She caught the tail end of Bruce leaving a similar message for Tony as she finished and settled back beside Clint, purposefully keeping close.

“SHIELD’s working on following the helicopters, but they were only beginning to figure people on the mansion, nowhere near having anything ready in the air for possible pursuit,” he told her while working on a message.

“Uh, Steve’s calling me,” Bruce said before answering, his voice tired. “Hey, we saw about the attack.” He paused for a few moments. “Yeah, we’re still at least a couple hours out but hurrying as fast as we can. And trying to contact Pepper.”

“If he asks, SHIELD’s still figuring a few things too,” Clint commented.

Bruce wordlessly nodded at him and waited another few seconds before replying to whatever Steve had said. “We’ll update you when we hopefully hear something, otherwise we’re all just waiting.” Bruce glanced down and swallowed for a moment. “Yeah, me too.”

Natasha leaned slightly closer to Clint and kept her voice at a low murmur. “No one’s hearing anything from JARVIS either.”

“Yeah,” he whispered back, “dunno whether that’s a bad or decent sign. Just definitely not great.”

“He should’ve talked to the team.”

“Some Tony habits die hard,” Clint muttered with a touch of ruefulness before raising his voice loud enough for Bruce to hear. “Sounds like first responders are getting to the mansion.”

Bruce repeated the sentence to Steve and waited for another few moments before continuing. “Yeah, we’ll keep each other updated. Talk to you soon.” He hung up and cleared his throat while focusing back on Clint and Natasha. “We’re all just waiting on information.”

“SHIELD’s routing it to us as quick as they can and working to get on site.” Clint frowned and tapped on the attachment on a new message before shifting the tablet for them all to see. “Potential social media hit, could be promising…”

It was a short video clip captioned “TAYLOR’S SICK FLIP… AND IRON MAN PHOTOBOMB?!?” showing a teen flipping backwards off a trampoline while something probably humanoid flew across the background in a golden blur.

Natasha reached over to replay the clip before making a small sound of affirmation. “It could be Tony.”

“He could’ve flown away when the helicopters left,” Bruce quietly said. “And it’s not impossible that the suit could be damaged enough or something that he can’t contact us…”

“Slash he was still working on it.” Clint let out a moderately annoyed exhale. “Everything’s just a waiting game right now.”

Bruce took a long drink from his water bottle and leaned back in his seat with a heavy sigh, momentarily closing his eyes. “At least there’s some hope for Tony surviving. Now if we could just hear something from Pepper…”

“First responder reports should start coming in any time,” Natasha somberly said without glancing away from the message log even as Clint subtly nudged her thigh with his in support.

She marginally relaxed when her phone rang after a few more minutes, Pepper’s name popping up as the caller.

“Initial reports are sounding like she’s okay, and there’s another woman there,” Clint said as she answered.

“Pepper, are you-?”

“I’m safe, I got out of the house before… before.” She went quiet for a moment as her voice faltered before taking a deep breath and continuing. “Ah, Maya Hansen is safe with me too, she came by just before the attack. And emergency responders are arriving, they’re calling in people to check the structural integrity of the house before we go in again.” Pepper swallowed. “It’s… a lot. Oh my god.”

“Like I said, we’re heading there as fast as we can.” Natasha hesitated for a half-second and glanced at Clint before adding, “There might be evidence that Tony made it out.”

Pepper sharply inhaled. “Oh my god. Are you… are you sure?”

“Short of getting a better quality picture or hearing directly from him it’s not certain, officially only a guess,” Natasha cautioned.

“But you’re confident enough to tell me,” Pepper said, her tone a mixture of practicality and desperation.

“I think you deserve to know.”

Pepper took another deep breath. “Thank you. I-.” She stopped for a second, an urgent note in her voice when she continued. “Sorry, Rhodey’s trying to reach me, I should-.”

“I’ll let you know when we’re close and update for anything significant in between,” Natasha reassured. “Talk to Rhodey.”

Waiting to reach Malibu only made Clint and Natasha increasingly restless, Bruce staying marginally more relaxed while retreating away from watching the message log to practice some breathing exercises.

Unsurprisingly, nothing more had come up for any possible Iron Man sightings in the hours since, and admittedly they weren’t shocked that there still hadn’t been any communication from Tony after gathering more about the beating the suit must have taken in the attack.

Steve and SHIELD had been providing updates on increasing threats the Mandarin was making in light of claiming to have killed Tony, and it was only thanks to SHIELD’s air traffic clearances that they were still flying after a nation-wide ground stop had been declared.

Rhodey had briefly checked in to tell them to keep him posted on events while he was deployed as Iron Patriot in response to the Ten Rings.

After a cautious glance at Bruce to check that he had his eyes closed during one set of breathing exercises, Natasha leaned her head on Clint’s shoulder. “Who wants to drive once we’re on the ground?” she quietly asked.

“If you want to, you can.” He leaned his head on hers and slightly smiled. “Your lead foot could be handy.”

Without lifting her head, she elbowed him in the side. “You only complain because you’re not as good a driver.”

He gently shoved back. “I’m just a safer driver.”

They silently sat for a long moment before Natasha started to lift her head, prompting Clint to follow suit while double checking whether Bruce seemed to have noticed them.

She took the tablet and pulled up a map to the mansion, zooming in and out along the route from the airfield they were headed to. “I’m thinking half an hour max to the mansion once we’re on the ground, hopefully twenty max if the traffic’s nice.”

“Gotta admit that has actually been going relatively in our favor lately,” Clint murmured.

Their luck held in getting to the mansion in an impressive eighteen and a half minutes, Bruce then content to let Natasha and Clint take charge for getting them past the caution tape line without too many questions.

Pepper had practically leapt up from where she was sitting on a part of the outside landscaping as she noticed them come through, relief completely coloring her expression. “I heard from Tony,” she instantly said when she was closer with a gesture back at an Iron Man helmet on the landscaping ledge. “A message on one of our Stark servers, I don’t think he has a lot of communication options right now.”

“Did he sound okay?” Bruce asked, his brow furrowed in concern.

“Mostly.” Pepper anxiously fidgeted with her hands. “The suit needs some work to be entirely functional again and he didn’t remember to say where he was, only that he’s planning on finding the Mandarin and doesn’t want to risk anyone else.”

“Well that’s only halfway useful,” Clint muttered beneath his breath, only Natasha hearing him.

She spoke just loud enough for the group of them to hear after casually looking around to double check whether anyone else was hovering nearby. “Can we access the server, see if there is any log of location data? Today has only shown that we could use a head start.”

“I have no idea,” Pepper sighed before slightly biting at her lip. “I think JARVIS is still online somewhere in the house, but the lab is definitely gone and I don’t know where else to hook up the helmet that might work.”

Natasha pursed her lips and nodded. “Good to know.”

Clint glanced toward where another woman sat a few feet away from the helmet and was trying not to obviously watch their conversation. “So Dr. Hansen’s sticking around?”

“She came for Tony’s help on top of us not being able to leave here yet,” Pepper said with a careful look back at Maya, “and, ah, she didn’t want me to be alone.” She finished with a swallow.

Bruce quietly cleared his throat. “If she’s up to it, we might be able to help with whatever she needed Tony for.”

“We can ask,” Natasha hummed while breaking aside to head towards Maya.

Notes:

FYI there might be more than about a week before the next chapter just because my work's a little consuming right now, but I'm hopeful to be able to put it up!

Chapter 34

Notes:

So I was definitely not originally planning on over a month between updates (oops), but the good news is my work should be much calmer for a bit to be more consistent again!

Chapter Text

It had taken a little bit to get Maya comfortable enough to tell them what she had come to speak to Tony about, Natasha and Clint subtly laying on their best casual interrogation techniques and helped by neither Pepper or Bruce commenting on the false names they gave in introduction.

Clint had immediately passed on the news of Aldrich Killian and AIM being associated with the Mandarin to SHIELD to start to investigate while Natasha and Bruce pivoted to discussing Maya and Pepper’s options for where to go for the night.

They opted to stick to the Avengers angle and leave SHIELD out of direct mention per Natasha’s lead, trying to suggest a safe house. Maya was reluctant to be taken completely out of her element without feeling personally under particular threat and voiced a strong preference for heading to a hotel a reasonable driving distance out of Malibu in the interest of Pepper’s safety.

Admittedly, Natasha would’ve pushed more for a safe house instead if it hadn’t been for JARVIS coming back online in the Iron Man suit and calling Bruce to let them know that Tony was in Rose Hill, Tennessee. In the interest of more specifically finding him, they were leaving Pepper and Maya to their own devices at an area hotel (albeit after calling in for a SHIELD agent or two to discreetly check on them in the morning).

While Bruce almost immediately started to doze off as they were back on the Quinjet, Natasha again waited until he definitely seemed to be unaware of them before leaning against Clint’s side and resting her head on his shoulder.

“You should get some sleep,” he murmured while tipping his head against hers.

“Look who’s talking.”

Clint shrugged the shoulder she wasn’t leaning against. “Hey, I might accidentally start snoring, wake Bruce up. And we don’t want that.”

Natasha rolled her eyes. “You don’t ever sleep that deeply in the air, you’ll be fine.” After a second she supportively laced her fingers through his and quietly asked, “Something you’re worried about seeing?”

“Nothing more than usual,” he half sighed with a rueful note, pausing for a long moment before continuing. “I’m more worried for Tony and us being several steps behind in everything right now rather than my nightmares. And it’s not the worst we’ve gone in with, but something’s weird.”

“That’s more the common factor these days,” Natasha muttered.

“Our lives really are never gonna be the same.” Clint broke into a small smile after a silent moment. “Though not to be all sappy, but at least we’re facing it together and better than ever. Between us and the team.”

She squeezed his hand with a slight smile of her own. “I’ll take it.”

Clint waited for several seconds before clearing his throat. “Any chance you’re feeling better about how this is going than I am?”

“Like you said, we’re annoyingly several steps behind.” Natasha pursed her lips. “Especially with Tony half shutting us out.”

“That’s gonna be a fun conversation with him after all this,” Clint sighed.

“I have a few choice words,” she agreed with a slight grumble.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a long moment before he squeezed her hand back and simultaneously nudged her knee with his. “But we both know that worrying too much isn’t going to get us anywhere, might as well do something actionable for the moment.”

“Actionably resting.”

“Yup.” He closed his eyes and lifted his head before leaning back with an exhale. “Hopefully a couple hours.”

Natasha kept her head on his shoulder as she adjusted to a better position to nod off in. “As long as you actually sleep.”

“Wouldn’t dream of disappointing you, Tasha,” Clint reassured after yawning.

They both quickly drifted into a light sleep and fortunately managed to reach Tennessee without significantly stirring despite a few moments of turbulence en route.

Unfortunately, Bruce apologetically shook Clint awake a little before they found a decent Quinjet landing site outside of Rose Hill and only waited a few seconds as Clint blinked awake and focused on him before holding up his phone. “We, uh, have a couple new problems.”

Clint leaned forward with another blink, careful not to try and jostle Natasha leaning on him. “What’s up… oh. Oh.” Without looking he reached over to shake Natasha’s shoulder. “Well shit.”

She woke up almost immediately and took a moment to gather her bearings before lifting her head from Clint’s shoulder while curiously arching an eyebrow.

“Pepper and Maya are missing from their hotel,” Bruce informed, his jaw tight.

Natasha sat up straighter as her expression turned suspicious. “How long ago?”

“Deputy Director Hill called me when she couldn’t reach either of you, apparently it was Killian who came after Pepper and Maya as best SHIELD can gather from some area security footage, but without having had anyone right in the area…”

“They’re not easy to follow,” Natasha finished with a frown, her tone flat. “Do we know how long after we left them?”

Clint slightly cleared his throat and cast her a soft look. “Nat-.”

“Not now.” She evenly held Bruce’s gaze. “Did Hill say?”

“I think it would’ve been some time after we left, but I, uh, didn’t think to ask for too many details,” he carefully said. “Ah, I think she left you a message though.”

Natasha and Clint simultaneously pulled out their phones to check their respective texts and voicemails while their pilots informed that they were approaching the coordinates of their identified landing site and would start their descent.

Bruce awkwardly shifted in his seat as he waited for Clint and Natasha to finish coming up to speed.

“Okay,” Clint sighed as he put his phone down, “now let’s just hope no new updates on Tony is actually good news after this.”

“I tried calling him a little bit ago, but didn’t get him or JARVIS,” Bruce said after a moment.

“Maybe he’s actually sleeping,” Clint suggested.

Natasha drily huffed without glancing up from the message she was composing to Maria. “The only way he’s sleeping right now is if he’s dangerously injured and forcefully unconscious.” Before Bruce or Clint could reply she asked, “Has Steve reached out to either of you to say whether he’s staying put for now or wants to join us?”

“I think he wants to know where to go before figuring something out, but I honestly haven’t asked.” Bruce anxiously adjusted his glasses. “Should we…?”

“I’m telling Hill to contact him and coordinate, SHIELD will be faster than anything else out of DC and can start without knowing exactly where to head.”

Clint added a nod. “And by the time they do get that together, we’ll have a better idea where he should go anyways.”

Bruce made a small noncommittal sound in response. “Hopefully.”

“Hey,” Clint gently said while casting Bruce a supportive look. “We stopped a god and an alien army from taking over the planet, we can handle a bit more of a normal threat together just the same.”

“Right,” Bruce murmured while glancing down and trailing off.

Both Natasha and Clint paused to gauge his reaction for a moment before she continued. “The forest should give us decent cover to-.”

“Agent Romanoff! Agent Barton!” one of the pilots called back in interruption. “You should come see this!”

“Aww, c’mon, there’s always something,” Clint muttered to himself while unbuckling to hurry into the cockpit a half step behind Natasha.

They immediately noticed the smolders of a decently sized fire surrounded by multiple sets of flashing lights on the horizon, centered by what they figured was the center of Rose Hill.

Bruce had followed and lowly whistled at the sight. “That’s a problem.”

“Well it’s almost definitely Tony,” Clint commented.

The pilots separately angled to look at them. “Do you want us to continue approach, or does this change the plan?”

“Go wide and continue approach,” Natasha firmly confirmed. “We need to verify a few things on the ground.”

“Copy that.”

“I’ll see if we’re low enough to pick up any chatter,” Clint murmured while slipping past her to open a side storage panel between the bay and cockpit and pull out a device before heading back to his seat, prompting Bruce to curiously follow.

Natasha lingered in the cockpit for an extra moment to continue to take in the scene of the town before joining them as Clint started working through channels of static before successfully finding one actively in use by the local law enforcement.

Between the sight of the town and listening in, they gathered that a building had exploded and the area water tower had suspiciously collapsed.

“Small town, big night,” Clint ruefully remarked.

From the landing site, it was a brief hike into the town proper, the pilots having taken full advantage of the time of night to taxi as close to the edges as they discreetly dared.

Bruce had opted to trek along with Clint and Natasha, but stayed a couple steps behind as they casually approached the investigation line. Beyond a few sheriffs and the area fire department, there were several curious observers hovering around to watch the scene documentation and initial clean up.

“Okay,” Clint started to quietly commentate as they drew closer, “I’m no explosions expert and I can’t hear what those people are saying, but it looks like confusion. I’d wager we’re looking at the same mystery as the Mandarin bombings.”

“Probably some good force behind debris like this,” Bruce agreed in a matching tone.

Natasha eyed where one sheriff seemed to be collecting witness statements a few feet behind where a cruiser was parked before nodding towards them to direct Clint and Bruce’s attention. “Divide and conquer?”

“I’ll just, uh, stick with Clint then.” Bruce uneasily glanced around at the flashing lights. “What all are we looking for?”

“Any more information on what happened here, mostly, especially anything specific about Tony.” Clint jerked his head to the side opposite of the sheriff and witnesses. “Don’t worry, I’ll keep us out of any trouble, Doc.” He took a step in the appropriate direction before pausing to look at Natasha. “How long do you want to take?”

She shrugged. “Until we hear something to go from, here or otherwise.”

They had only separated for a couple minutes before Bruce received a phone call from a Tennessee area code and stared at his phone for a moment before answering, his voice tentative. “Hello?”

“Hey Bruce, thanks for picking up, I had to bor-.”

“Tony!” Bruce interrupted in relief, immediately catching Clint’s attention. “Where are you? Are you okay? We’re in Rose Hill-.”

Tony cut him off. “Wait, how?”

“Er, JARVIS called us.” Bruce nodded at Clint as he prompted him to start back towards Natasha. “Are you still here? We’re seeing there’s been some, uh, damage.”

“Yup, that was me,” Tony ruefully said. “But no, uh, I’m a ways out of town, long story but I had to drop off a kid first and get some military server access. Interesting twist, looks like the Mandarin is coordinating with Advanced Idea Mechanics and the bombings have been Extremis test subjects. And I’ve got a lead on the Mandarin in Miami.”

Bruce angled the phone slightly away to talk to Clint. “He says he’s got something on the Mandarin in Miami.”

Slight surprise flashed across Clint’s expression. “No shit? Does he have a specific location to share?”

“Clint wants to know how specific a location you have.”

“JARVIS should be sending that along in a bit, just thought I should check in first.” Tony awkwardly cleared his throat. “Uh, I probably should’ve made the team call a few big events ago rather than falling back onto myself, but thanks for following after me regardless.”

“We’ve been worried,” Bruce softly said.

Clint pointed towards Natasha and murmured, “Keep him talking, I’ll get Nat and we’ll head back to the Quinjet.”

Bruce responded with a nod while Tony replied to him, his tone equally soft. “I’ll just try to keep you in the loop from here.”

“That’s good.” Bruce barely paused before adding, “Going back a bit, Tony, are you okay?”

Tony blew out an exhale before letting out a short, anxious laugh. “Physically, yeah. In other ways… this has been a lot of shit all at once, Bruce. You can guess what that answer is.”

“Just… hang in there. We’re here to help.”

“Thanks buddy.” Tony again cleared his throat. “I’m going to assume Thor hasn’t come back yet and it’s just you, Clint and Nat, and Steve getting around via SHIELD help?”

“Steve’s been in D.C. and is supposed to be getting on a Quinjet anytime, I’m with Clint and Natasha in Rose Hill.”

“So you’re all considerably faster than me for the moment.”

“What about the suit?” Concern layered Bruce’s voice.

“Charging. Long story. I had to, ah, borrow a car and everything.”

“Where are you right now?” Bruce asked as Clint and Natasha walked back up to him, both their expressions set in restrained concern and curiosity.

Tony took a moment to respond. “A side highway trying to work my way to I-75, generally trying to get to Miami. Anything more specific, you’re gonna have to give me a bit.”

“That’s fine.” Bruce again slightly angled the phone away to talk to Clint and Natasha as they started to hurriedly trek back towards the Quinjet. “He’s on a highway heading towards Miami, JARVIS is supposed to send us specifics for where he’s tracked the Mandarin to.”

“He’s not in the suit?” Natasha asked with a raised eyebrow.

“It’s apparently charging, he’s only able to drive for the moment.”

She held back a sigh and instead only let a vaguely annoyed note through her voice. “Is he willing to let us pick him up and coordinate our efforts more directly, or does he want to insist on doing this by himself?”

“He wants our help.”

By the time they reached the Quinjet, they had arranged where to meet Tony en route to Miami and had updated Steve and SHIELD with the specific location from JARVIS. (Sharing with SHIELD also led to discovering it was officially the site of Killian’s personal mansion.)

Clint and Natasha had politely forced the pilots into taking a break to sleep and letting them fly instead, and waited until they were comfortably at a cruising altitude before starting a quiet conversation.

“How long do you really think we can keep from letting him know about Pepper?” Clint asked while casting Natasha a long look.

She briefly pursed her lips and held his gaze. “He’s been volatile enough already, I’m standing by it being a terrible idea to let him know before we’re there with him.”

Clint nodded. “Which I agree with, but we have to do it some point, regardless of how we think it’ll hurt him.”

“I know.” Natasha focused out the cockpit window, her voice going firm. “And whether or not we tell him before we get there, I’m getting information on where she is once we’re at the mansion.”

“Killian’s not gonna know what hit him.”

Chapter 35

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After picking up Tony, Bruce squeezed with him into the cockpit as Natasha and Clint flew so that Tony could talk without overly interrupting the sleeping pilots.

“Hold on,” Clint incredulously said shortly into Tony’s rushed elaboration on the events in Rose Hill, “you seriously gave a random kid you had just met access into your systems and left your suit sitting in his garage?”

“He was able to keep up with helping me, and he’s a great kid,” Tony defensively replied. “And despite that, yeah, it’s not ideal to leave the suit there for now, but I couldn’t charge it on the way or move it that easily. This way it’ll be ready when I need it, and the kid wants to help.”

Natasha fixed him with a long look. “Do you know the kid’s name?”

“Harley Keener, I did ask.” Tony pursed his lips. “You don’t have to be so worried, I’m paying attention and trying to be considerate, and just for the record I’m already planning nice things to do for him after this to really say thank you. Give him some opportunities.”

She inclined her head towards him in a little nod. “That’s thoughtful of you.”

Bruce quietly cleared his throat and interjected a comment before Tony could reply. “Do you have a way to know when the suit’s fully charged?”

Tony held up his left wrist and rolled his sleeve back to reveal a pink toned watch. “I did set an alarm on this, but I was hoping to borrow one of your phones to remotely log into my servers and talk to JARVIS. I’m hesitant to use the one I, er, borrowed for that connection.”

Clint couldn’t resist a snort after he glanced over. “First, despite the circumstances I’m not giving you my phone, sorry. Second, is that seriously Dora the Explorer?”

“I’m borrowing it from Harley’s little sister, I work with what I’ve got. I’ve just got to take good care of it, apparently it’s limited edition.” Tony looked at Bruce. “I think we can assume you’re the most willing to share, no matter how much I can promise these two,” he waved a hand at Clint and Natasha, “I won’t look at anything I shouldn’t.”

Natasha rolled her eyes. “Forgive me for not entirely believing that your focus outweighs your curiosity.”

He was quiet for a moment before nodding in reply. “Okay, that’s admittedly fair. Mildly hurtful, but fair.”

Bruce slightly chuckled while pulling his phone out and unlocked the screen before handing it to Tony. “Do what you need to.”

“Thanks.” Tony continued without looking up from the phone as he started typing. “So how sneaky are we planning on being on arrival to Killian’s mansion? And are we waiting for Steve?”

“Hill’s arranged for a couple agents to watch from a distance and can spare a few more if we want the help for infiltration,” Clint said. “But for sneaky, I’d definitely say let me and Nat call the shots. Ten Rings plus what we know about Killian and AIM, we don’t want to tip anyone off.”

“I want to keep the element of surprise for this,” Tony firmly reassured before pausing and looking up at Clint and Natasha. “I know this is right in your comfort zone and all, but we’re looking at the Mandarin working with AIM, they’re bound to have some decent security forces on site. You sure we don’t want some more reinforcements?”

She casually shrugged. “I’m not worried.”

Tony hummed in response and continued typing for several moments before making a thoughtful sound. “I’m going to call Rhodey, see if he can make it for the fun. He’d hate to miss out on significant Avengers activity again.”

“If he could make it in time, last we heard he was being sent to Pakistan,” Bruce said before ending on a yawn. “Sorry, how much more do we immediately need to talk about? I wouldn’t mind trying to get at least another hour of sleep knowing we’ve got a busy day ahead of us.”

“I think you’ve got the gist of it,” Tony said with a supportive half nod to the bay as he dialed Rhodey. “We’ll yell if we need you.”

Bruce unsuccessfully tried to stifle another yawn as he nodded back and stepped away with a little wave in goodbye. “Thanks.”

As he left, Tony waited for another few seconds before his expression fell in a concerned frown. “Straight to Rhodey’s voicemail after ringing.”

“He is actively deployed,” Natasha said as she glanced back at Tony to gauge his expression.

“I’ll try direct to the suit.” Tony redialed after interfacing with JARVIS and waited for another few moments before his frown deepened. “Something could’ve been damaged.”

Clint adopted a frown of his own. “You said you talked to him earlier, right? What sort of timeframe are we looking at?”

“Uh, a couple hours max.” Tony tapped on the screen for another couple seconds before heavily exhaling. “GPS says Iron Patriot’s somewhere across the Atlantic and moving fast enough that narrowing that down would take some time.” He paused for a long moment before raising his eyebrows and glancing between Clint and Natasha. “I was hoping for some logical reassurance.”

“Moving is a good sign, could just be system damage,” Clint started to say while exchanging a side glance with Natasha, prompting Tony to speak over him midway through as suspicion colored his expression.

“You think AIM or the Mandarin got to Rhodey, don’t you?”

Natasha evenly held his gaze. “We can’t pretend like it’s impossible given the circumstances.”

Tony sucked in a breath while narrowing his eyes and slightly raising his voice. “Why the fuck are you so calm right now? It’s Rhodey!”

“Panicking isn’t going to change anything-.”

“They already hurt Happy!” Tony pointedly said, cutting Clint off. “Part of why I didn’t reach out for a bit was trying to keep anyone else from getting hurt in this, and look what happens when I do reach out!”

Natasha narrowed her eyes back at him. “We don’t know what may or may not have happened, and Rhodey wasn’t acting on anything you said, he was following military orders. He’d be involved without you.”

At the sound of Tony’s raised voice, Bruce had returned to the cockpit and quietly cleared his throat. “Tony, it’s-.”

“Can any of you even tell me how Happy’s doing?”

“He’s mostly been sleeping,” Bruce softly said.

Relief mingled with the set frustration of Tony’s expression. “Have you had a good chance to talk to Pepper?”

“We checked in with her after the attack,” Clint carefully said while exchanging a subtle side look with Natasha.

Tony accusingly pointed at them with the phone. “Hey, I saw that. You’re keeping something from me.” He shifted his focus to Bruce, uncertainty in his eyes. “Are you in on whatever it is too?”

Bruce couldn’t help a nervous glance at the floor. “Uh, you might want to take some deep breaths.”

“Did something happen to Pepper?” Tony insistently asked, an anxious quaver in his voice and his eyes starting to widen.

Natasha slightly sighed before slowly nodding and replying, her voice careful. “Killian appears to have kidnapped her and Dr. Hansen.”

What?” Shock settled across Tony’s expression, quickly morphing into panic while he unconsciously stumbled back a step into the cabin wall. “Was no one else around? The house was attacked, she shouldn’t have been alone-!”

“We didn’t abandon her, we left with planned SHIELD check-in and Dr. Hansen sticking with her,” Clint said with a defensive note. “They opted away from something more secure, but Killian finding them took everyone by surprise.”

“Were you planning on telling me anytime soon?” Tony’s voice broke while his gaze darted between everyone. “It’s Pepper, she’s everything, and I can’t…” He sucked in a deep breath before hurriedly continuing. “Is she okay, did he hurt her?! Do you have any idea where she is?”

Clint held out a hand to catch Tony’s attention, his gaze soft with sympathy. “Last we have visual confirmation, she was physically fine. And finding her current location is an active concern, so we really want to keep the element of surprise at the mansion.”

“Tony,” Natasha started to say, her voice simultaneously empathetic and firm, “we’re not the only ones looking, and we will find her. But we need have a lead on infiltrating the mansion, we should focus on that until we hear something concrete on Pepper.” After a half second she added on, “Or Rhodey.”

“How are you so calm right now?” Tony halfheartedly snapped before briefly rubbing at his face with his free hand. “Fuck, I should’ve-.”

Natasha cut him off, a sharp note in her tone. “Don’t. It’s not your fault.” Her eyes flashed with a warning. “We need you, don’t wallow.”

To either side, Bruce and Clint stayed tensely silent as Tony grimaced but nodded, taking a few moments to steady his breathing before replying, his voice flat. “You’re stone cold sometimes, you know that?”

Clint’s expression darkened. “Hey man,” he sharply said, “you don’t need to lash out just because you’re frustrated. Nat’s just as concerned as you, we all are.”

Her expression hadn’t shifted since Tony’s comment, only a barely perceptible flicker of hurt showing in her eyes as she held his gaze and waited for Clint to finish before replying. “Anything else you want to say?”

Tony pursed his lips to force a pause. “Assuming the power stays steady, should be almost two hours before the suit’s sufficiently charged to travel.” He started to slip past Bruce. “I’m gonna try to get some sleep too.”

Bruce hovered for a moment, concern in his eyes as he absentmindedly adjusted his glasses and looked at Natasha. “I’m sorry, are you-?”

“I’m fine, he didn’t mean it.” She kept her voice even and nodded Bruce to the bay. “Don’t let us interrupt your sleep.”

He hesitated for a moment and glanced between her and where Clint was still glowering before angling away while pointing over his shoulder with his thumb. “Okay. I’ll just be, er, there if you need me.”

“We know.” She waited until Bruce had again left before letting her expression fall into a frown. “Clint-.”

“He was completely out of line,” he tightly said, managing to keep his voice quiet despite the irritation roiling in his tone as he clenched his jaw.

Natasha focused out the window, her gaze going distant. “We both know it’s not worth the fight right now, he’s only snapping because he’s worried and feels out of his depth.”

“That doesn’t make it okay.”

“You know full well I’ve heard worse,” she drily said.

“And it shouldn’t happen from your team, of all places.” Clint’s brow heavily furrowed. “Nat-.”

She shook her head. “I won’t pretend it didn’t sting, but I’m fine.” She spoke in a murmur. “I’ll worry if the attitude stays.” After a moment she cleared her throat. “We need to give Maria an updated ETA and connect with the agents in Miami.”

Clint cast her a discerning look. “You sound like you want to be the one to call.”

“It’d be a productive distraction,” Natasha quietly agreed. “Can you check in with Steve?”

“On it.”

After coordinating arrival times and a little over another hour of flight, they arrived at a SHIELD aligned airstrip outside Miami shortly after dawn.

Clint and Natasha let the pilots take over running post-flight procedures while they brought Tony and Bruce up to speed on the initial intel from the agents outside the mansion and stepped out onto the runway with their gear in hand.

Steve almost immediately greeted them and gave a summary of his time in D.C. on the way to the van SHIELD had arranged for them to take to the mansion.

“I’m driving, Nat gets passenger,” Clint declared as they got close. “The rest of you can squeeze in the back as you see fit.”

Steve shrugged and obligingly handed Clint the keys. “Works for me.”

“If we ever do a road trip, we are switching up this driving arrangement,” Tony halfheartedly complained.

“Hey, I’m a great driver.”

They managed to maintain a relatively lighthearted conversation until they approached the location the agents had suggested as an ideal entry point onto the mansion’s grounds.

The plan was for Clint and Natasha to head in first and start to clear the way to the mansion, followed shortly after by Steve and Tony while Bruce opted to stay in the van and provide input over comms while also updating on how close the Mark 42 was.

The outdoor guards left plenty of gaps for Clint and Natasha to expertly slip through, taking one or two down and easily moving onto the next until they had all been knocked out.

“Outside is clear,” Natasha informed in a murmur as she lowered the last of the guards behind a piece of the landscaping while keeping a wary eye on the closest mansion windows. “I’m positioned to infiltrate from the east side.”

“Ready on north,” Clint replied.

“Cap and I are coming from the, uh, west,” Tony added after a moment. “Before we go in, Bruce, how’s the suit looking?”

“Still a ways out, but it’s coming.”

Tony quietly sighed. “Okay, we don’t need to wait for it. Whenever we want to move.”

Steve had fully shifted into his Captain America voice. “Let’s go, call anything important out as you see it.”

Natasha was the first to happen across another guard and took them down in a quick chokehold just as Clint commented, “For the Mandarin apparently being here and how coordinated the Ten Rings have been, the guards here seem a little sloppy.”

“You sure it’s not just because you’re really good at this spy thing?” Tony asked.

“Aww, thanks,” Clint lightly said before continuing without missing a beat. “But no, it’s definitely not just experience that’s making this pretty easy thus far. There’s some training behind these guys, but they’re nothing to write home about.”

“I’ve got one with a Five Gators Security Corporation badge,” Natasha said with a hint of dry amusement. “Probably Killian’s personal hire.”

Tony made a short grumbling sound. “I’m still confident the Mandarin’s here even if we're not seeing any Ten Rings yet."

"We wouldn't be here if we weren't just as confident," Steve supportively said.

"For the record," Tony wryly murmured, "he just said that while practically posing with the shield, very dramatic."

Clint chuckled beneath his breath while peeking around a corner, instinctively tensing as he saw someone else before relaxing as he realized it was Natasha.

"Widow and I can take upstairs, Cap and Stark take the rest of this floor?" he suggested over the comms, keeping his voice just loud enough to catch her attention.

She immediately looked over and affectionately rolled her eyes in response to the giddy grin he broke into.

"Eyes on target, Hawkeye," she mouthed before saying, "Keep an eye out for guard rotation."

"We'll be careful," Steve said, his voice dropping as he finished.

Natasha turned her comm off as she walked over to Clint. "Technically we might be better off splitting."

He shrugged while turning off his comm. "I think they can manage so-so security just fine."

"And you just wanted to spend some time with me?"

Clint shrugged again as they crept forward to clear another room. "Seems like partial privacy is all we're getting for a bit, figure we may as well take advantage of it."

"Mmm." Natasha opened her mouth to say more only to close it at the sound of other footsteps from the next room, prompting her to turn her comm back on while simultaneously flattening to one side of the doorway, Clint taking the other side.

He craned his head over to look around the doorframe after reactivating his comm.

There were two guards, one facing away from them towards a stairwell and the other angled slightly parallel, positioned just well enough that the doorway was in their peripheral.

"Sounds like they finally cracked into the Patriot," the nearest guard remarked.

"It's about time," the far one drily said. "Don't know why they didn't just start with a good power saw."

"Probably presentation."

Natasha pulled out a pocket smoke bomb and knelt to roll it towards the guards' feet while Clint prepared to rush in.

They both waited a few moments for the smoke to kick up decent cover before moving in and knocking the guards out.

"We have confirmation that Rhodey's in the building," Natasha informed over the comms while they removed the guards' guns.

Tony immediately replied, his tone urgent. "Where?"

"Not sure." Clint hid the guards' guns under a nearby chair. "Just that they broke into the suit."

"Well shit."

Natasha started leading up the stairs. "It does mean that Killian is probably here."

An angry undertone was evident in Tony's voice. "Hopefully two birds, one stone when we're done here."

Bruce cleared his throat. "Mark 42 is about sixteen minutes out."

"I really need to improve those boosters," Tony muttered below his breath.

Clint forwent a response while stealthily proceeding up the stairs a couple steps behind Natasha after preemptively snapping out his bow.

She held a hand back to prompt him to stop as she reached the top landing before holding up three fingers and pointing to the right.

He shifted to a net arrowhead and nocked it while creeping up beside her. "We want these ones to talk?" he asked in a whisper too low for the comms to pick up.

"It’d be easier." She lit up the Widow’s Bites on her left wrist while keeping her right hand just hovering over the matching holster. “Whenever you’re ready.”

Clint took a deep breath as he stepped out at the top of the stairs with his bow drawn. Picking the guard with the least cover, he loosed the arrow before dropping to roll to cover behind a nearby couch.

While one guard struggled against the net with a surprised exclamation, the other two whirled to face the stairs while starting to draw their guns.

One took a Bite directly to the chest, and the other barely managed to get their gun into a good aiming position before Clint caught them in another net arrow.

As with the previous guards, they quickly set about disarming them and removing the arrow shafts before additionally securing the shocked guard and propping them all up against the wall in a separated line.

Natasha temporarily ignored Tony reporting in that they had found a very high woman and were starting into what almost looked to be a recording studio in favor of focusing on the downed guards.

“Anyone else up here?” she asked while Clint stood threateningly behind and kept an eye on their surroundings.

One of the net guards glared at her. “Who the fuck are you?”

“Do you work for Aldrich Killian?”

She only technically heard the guard’s next response, her attention grabbed by Steve urgently informing, “We found the Mandarin.”

“Stay on top of him,” Clint said while stepping even with Natasha and exchanging a side look as they heard Tony tightly tell the Mandarin not to move. “You got it under control or are you asking for backup?”

Their indirect reply was another couple seconds in coming. “You’re not him, the real guy.” Tony sharply inhaled and raised his voice to a yell. “Where’s the Mandarin? Where is he?”

“What’s happening?” Bruce nervously asked.

Natasha fired a Bite to catch both of the guards in nets before starting for the stairs. “Hawkeye and I are en route, where exactly are you?” she firmly asked.

“Ground floor, follow the hallway past the stairs,” Steve said in a hushed tone before slipping back into his full-fledged Captain America voice. “Who are you?”

Clint pointed at a far window as he reached the ground floor in step with Natasha, eliciting a small irritated sound from her at the sight of a couple vehicles driving away from the mansion. “Cap, Stark, we’ve got some people hurriedly leaving grounds.”

“Ask him if he’s a decoy,” Natasha added while striding over to get a better view out the window. “Banner, can you try to get in position to tell us which way those vehicles are heading?”

“Er, I can try.”

Clint grit his teeth as he watched the vehicles continue away. “Dammit, I talked myself out of bringing a tracker,” he muttered to Natasha.

She put her hand on his forearm and frowned. “We had no reason to anticipate a chase, don’t blame yourself.”

Before he could reply, Steve provided an update on the apparently fake Mandarin. “Long story short, he says he’s an actor, hired by Killian.”

“Custom made terror threat,” Tony said in frustration.

Natasha made a short humming sound and turned away from the window to start back beyond the stairs. “Keep him talking, we’re almost there.”

Bruce cleared his throat before he talked. “From the front of the mansion they’re going to the left, passing in front of me.”

“Tell Agent Paulson,” Clint started to say, quickly interrupted by Tony, his frustration shaking his voice.

“I’m sorry, I’ve got one friend in a coma, might not wake up, and another friend and my girlfriend kidnapped. So you’re gonna have to answer for that. You’re still going down, pal. Do you unders-.”

A speaker system crackled overhead throughout all of the mansion. “As much as it is an honor, truly, to have the, ah, Avengers show an interest in my affairs, I’m primarily interested in Tony. I apologize that we can’t talk in person, but I just wanted to let you know that I’m returning the gift you gave me back in Switzerland.” Killian paused for a moment. “Desperation.” He apologetically chuckled. “Now this would be much more impactful if I could show you, but I trust we’ll be seeing each other soon enough. I’m sure you’re concerned for Pepper, so you might care to know that her body is currently trying to decide whether to accept Extremis or just give up. And if it gives up… I have to say, the detonation is quite spectacular.”

Tony made a choked sound. “Killian, why don’t-!”

Killian continued without any indication of hearing him. “But until that point, it’s really just a lot of pain. Now, if you want to help her, I’m giving you one chance to join AIM. Dr. Hansen is on the verge of stabilizing Extremis, but she insists the key to doing so is stuck in your brain. Now I can’t talk perks until after finishing up some other business, but call me, I trust you’re able to look up my office.” He made a thoughtful sound. “And this offer only applies to Tony, the rest of the Avengers are invited to keep their distance. We don’t need this to get any messier.”

“We slightly underestimated him,” Clint murmured to Natasha.

She curtly nodded, her mouth set in a tight line.

They proceeded through the studio space to find Tony and Steve standing in front of where the Mandarin actor was in a recliner, his hands defensively held up.

“I don’t know that much about the plan, but I do know it’s happening off the coast. Something with a big boat,” the actor said in a strong British accent. He slightly lowered his hands. “I can take you there.” After a second he quizzically added on, “Oh, and it involves the vice president. Is that important?”

“Just a little bit,” Tony flatly said.

“That’s why they wanted Iron Patriot,” Clint called over.

“Like I said, I don’t know that much- okay.” The actor stopped as Tony cast him a glare and Steve slightly shifted his shield arm.

Unaware of most of the conversation, Bruce interjected, “Parts of the Mark 42 should be reaching you any time.” He paused for a moment. “Uh, hold on. Rhodey’s calling, give me a sec…”

Between meeting up with Rhodey and Steve calling the vice president, they quickly figured that Air Force One and President Ellis were Killian’s targets.

“I have an idea to find Pepper, the boat, and Killian while saving the president,” Tony declared after a side conversation with JARVIS, all the pieces of the Mark 42 having reformed into the whole suit on him. “But first, Trevor,” he angled to where Steve was supervising the Mandarin actor, “we’re gonna need your speedboat.”

Notes:

I can never resist a little mid-mission flirty Clint, though I PROMISE we'll get back to some just Clint and Nat time soon ;)

Chapter 36

Notes:

As much as I wanted to, I couldn't incorporate the detail of Clint ending up as the one who got to drive the speedboat (after a quick conversation of who had arguably the most maritime experience) in any way I liked without dragging back some plans, but it's too important a little thing for me not to share in a bit of commentary ;)

Chapter Text

“Looking like it’s almost all Extremis heat signatures on board, Killian’s got a small army of them,” Tony informed over the comms.

Between the Avengers, SHIELD, and the GPS feature within the stolen Iron Patriot armor, they had tracked Killian to the Norco oil tanker and figured his planned political statement with President Ellis.

“Anything to indicate which one is Pepper?” Natasha asked from where she was crouching behind a support pillar.

“There’s a stationary one surrounded by several mobile ones up in the control center, seems likely to me. But once the other suits get here I can get a better idea.”

“We might not have that sort of time to wait, they’re getting cameras in position for the main event,” Clint lowly said from where he was stealthily working his way up to a better vantage point.

“How far out are those SHIELD agents and Bruce?” Steve asked after a moment.

“Should be about ten minutes by now.” Clint dropped his voice to a murmur. “I’m gonna have to take a guy out of rotation to get up there, are we ready to move when they notice?”

“I can cover Tony, we’ll start towards the president,” Rhodey quietly said. “Rogers, you’re welcome to watch our backs or pick your own path.”

“I’ll stick with you.”

Natasha carefully craned around the side of her pillar to eye the proximity of the closest Extremis soldier to her position. “Watch your six, we don’t need to force Killian’s hand.”

“Copy that.”

They all stayed quiet for several moments while sneaking before Clint quietly cleared his throat while nocking an arrow. “Hey Cap, you’ve got a couple coming around the corner behind you. I can take one but the second will definitely notice.”

“I’ll get the other,” Steve murmured back, another few moments passing before he grunted and muttered, “They’re clear.”

“I’d pull ‘em out of sight,” Clint prompted before adding, “Widow, one coming down the stairs in front of you.”

She wordlessly dropped behind a small shipping crate for cover and drew her Glock, simultaneously flicking the safety off.

The sudden sound of back-to-back gunshots from above had her instinctively ducking further before glancing up with a worried frown. “Does anyone have visual?” she tersely whispered.

“I think it was the control center!” Tony barely paused before firmly saying, “Sorry, I’ve gotta get in there.”

“Tony, wait!” Rhodey hissed before slightly sighing. “Guys, he’s actively on the move.”

Natasha hesitated for a half second before popping up from behind the crate and immediately shooting at the Extremis soldier on the stairs Clint had warned her about.

“Nat, what’re you-?”

“Distraction.” With a glance around to verify whether anyone was liable to sneak up on her, she bolted for the stairs to start running up while an announcement started running over the tanker’s PA system about hostiles on board.

Showcasing the sort of resistance Natasha had honestly expected, the Extremis soldier had only stumbled after her shot and jumped over the closest side of the stair rail to land directly in front of her. Just as they brought their arm back to throw a punch, an arrow tore into their back, buying Natasha an extra couple seconds to directly shock the soldier with her left Bite and jerk her knee up into their groin to help knock them down before rushing past.

“Widow? Hawkeye?” Steve worriedly asked. “What’s happening over there?”

“We’re making some noise.” Clint took down an Extremis soldier who had started towards Natasha’s stairs. “Get ready, they definitely know we’re here now.”

The Extremis soldiers quickly showed that they were easily capable of parkouring up and down the various railings and support beams in the area while going after whichever Avenger they happened to be closest to.

Clint only managed to loose a few more arrows before he was forced to scramble a step backwards to avoid a couple gunshots, immediately followed by whirling around at the sound of someone heavily landing behind him.

He dropped his bow to free both hands as a soldier tried to grapple him, Clint barely managing to divert the soldier’s grip and dart to the side to land a punch into the soldier’s side.

They grunted and immediately retaliated by turning and kicking him in the chest, the action sufficiently knocking him off balance for the soldier to successfully grab him by the front of his uniform.

Clint slammed a razor tipped arrow into the soldier’s shoulder and twisted, eliciting a pained shout as the soldier let him go. He followed by roughly shoving the soldier back at both shoulders into the nearby railing before grabbing his bow and sprinting to the upper level while drawing another arrow.

“My perch is compromised, nobody need my help for a few seconds,” Clint said over the comms as he moved, partially interrupted by Tony starting to confront Killian and the sound of a repulsor blast from overhead as several Iron Man suits arrived and started targeting Extremis soldiers.

Admittedly, everyone else only paid half attention to what Tony was saying, more focused on fighting off the soldiers and getting to the upper level by the control center.

“I have the Iron Patriot armor and the president, bringing him to a secure location now,” Rhodey informed just as Natasha slipped into the control center with her Glock at the ready.

Apparently having gotten most of the body of a suit at some point, Tony was in the midst of exchanging faltering blows with Killian, the latter’s hands and forearms glowing a bright orange. A few feet away, Pepper was restrained and struggling to try and break free while also clearly in physical pain, her veins lightly glowing. Behind her, Maya was unconscious on the ground, her midsection coated in blood.

Before Killian could make a comment as he angled over to look at her with a darkly curious look, Natasha fired a warning shot just past his head.

“Stand down, you’re surrounded,” she warned.

“I don’t th- augh!” Killian broke into a pained exclamation as Tony blasted him in the chest with a repulsor, leaving a singed cavity behind.

“I’ve got him, get Pepper!” Tony started to tell Natasha, ending on a surprised yelp as Killian reached to grab around the arc reactor, his hands burning hot enough to push through the material with little resistance.

“I warned you,” Killian snarled as he jerked his arm back, pulling out the suit’s arc reactor connection along with some of the surrounding metal and circuitry and immediately eliciting a strangled sound of surprise from Tony while Pepper weakly exclaimed his name.

Natasha shot Killian twice in the shoulder, earning a low hiss as he protectively reached across his body to cover the area and angled to face her with a harsh glare.

Despite the fact that he was still actively on his feet and Killian’s shirt starting to burn away as his upper half ominously glowed orange, she held her ground and fired another several shots into the repulsor wound, aiming by his heart.

Killian stumbled back for a second with a grunt before leaning to charge at her.

He managed a few steps before he was yanked backwards by Pepper grabbing his bad shoulder after she had apparently burned through her restraints and come after him, her skin similarly alight.

Pepper forced Killian far enough to face her so she could sharply thrust the heel of her hand under his chin with enough force to send him reeling back with a groan.

As Killian collapsed against the wall behind him, Pepper heavily exhaled and took a couple shaky steps backwards without looking away from him.

Tony tentatively reached out towards her, his eyes wide. “Honey?”

Pepper’s focus immediately shifted towards him as she gasped, “Oh my god, that was really violent.”

“Uh… a little.” His gaze flickered back to Killian. “Is he…?”

“Hold on.” Keeping her aim focused at his chest, Natasha walked over towards Killian and cautiously poked his leg with her foot, already having guessed the answer by the way the glow had dimmed in Killian’s skin but waiting another few moments to make sure he seemed to be staying still before making the call. “I’m not checking his pulse yet, but Killian appears to be down.”

Tony and Pepper simultaneously breathed out in relief before she gasped again. “Oh my god, Maya!” She started towards her only to stop and anxiously look at her arms. “Tony-.”

“You two take a moment, I’ve got her,” Natasha murmured while brushing past them to head over to kneel by Maya’s side.

“Is everyone alright in there?” Steve worriedly asked after a moment.

“Pepper’s okay, we’re mostly fine,” Tony immediately said before nervously looking at Natasha. “But Maya’s…”

“She has a decent pulse, but she needs medical attention ASAP.” Natasha curiously frowned at what looked to be an injection device by Maya’s right hand. “I’ll call it in.”

She whirled around at the sound of Pepper exclaiming “Wait!” with clear panic in her voice, only to relax as she saw the scene and Pepper continued. “Don’t touch me, I’ll burn you!”

Tony was reaching out to embrace Pepper while she tensed and partially moved away from him. “Don’t worry about it,” he soothed, his expression soft with understanding. “You won’t hurt me.” After a pause he supportively put his hand on her shoulder. “See? Not hot.”

Pepper glanced down and teared up as she saw her skin had lost its glow. “Am I gonna be okay?” she asked while looking back up into Tony’s eyes, her voice breaking on the words.

Conscious that he was still mostly in an Iron Man suit, he carefully pulled her into a hug. “We’re gonna make it okay,” he quietly promised.

--

With JARVIS having helped to ensure the Extremis soldiers had all been taken down, it took less than half an hour for SHIELD and the Avengers to finish up on the Norco, clearing out before any local law enforcement or government personnel arrived on site.

After a little internal back and forth, the team and Pepper decided to take advantage of the offer to spend the rest of the day at a SHIELD safehouse located in Miami, everyone all too happy to have some time to sit back and start to relax for the first time in several days.

“Good news, sounds like the doctors believe Dr. Hansen should make it,” Clint informed as they settled into a mixed living and dining room area. “Anyone followed up with Rhodey yet?”

Steve cleared his throat and slightly held up his hand. “He got President Ellis to safety and it sounds like they’re starting to investigate Killian’s connections.”

“Merry Christmas to us,” Tony murmured.

Clint tiredly chuckled. “Honestly forgot about that being today.”

“Good news is we’ve got plenty of time left to do something if anyone wants.”

“Let’s just take some time to breathe first, we’ve been busy,” Bruce said with a tired chuckle of his own as he relaxed back in his chair.

Pepper firmly nodded. “Absolutely.”

They all sat in comfortable silence until Tony suggested naps were in order, followed by Natasha and Clint thinking to check what food supplies were available in the kitchen cabinets before heading out on a brief grocery run after changing into casual outfits from the available clothing supply.

It certainly didn’t hurt that heading out together gave them a much-needed moment of privacy in the van.

“We definitely need to do something nice, just the two of us, when we’re back in New York,” Clint said as he buckled in. “Ideally a vacation, but I’m flexible.”

Natasha affectionately smiled as she started the van. “I’ve got a few ideas, but vacation might have to wait.”

“Story of our lives,” Clint sighed with an amused head shake. “Definitely a point to bring up with the team once everyone’s done processing.” After a moment’s pause he added, “But I’m curious about your ideas.”

“It depends,” she started to say, her smile still entirely present. “Literally for something nice, we could always go for some event we have to dress up for and try some five-star restaurant, or we can do something less elegant.”

“I’m all ears.”

She quickly glanced over at him with a raised eyebrow. “I want to hear your ideas first.”

“Okay, I don’t have anything super definitive and it’s a little cliché, but there’s always the Met and MOMA, plus exploring somewhere like Central Park.” He made an eager sound. “Do you want to do a food tour? I’ve always kinda wanted to do a food tour.”

“We can plan on a food tour sometime.” Natasha cast him another glance and slightly smirked. “Though I should ask if you want to plan on staying in sooner rather than later...”

Clint couldn’t help a slightly goofy smile in return. “I like where this is going. And we should- hold on.” He stopped to fish out his phone as it started buzzing and curiously furrowed his brow before answering. “Hey Hill.”

He ended up giving an update on the Avengers side of recent events the rest of the way to the store before promising to share the news that Maya was conscious and beginning to testify about AIM and Killian.

Natasha waited for him to finish before leaning closer across the center console. “One more thing to do while we’ve got some privacy.”

“Yeah?”

She gently grabbed his face while moving close enough to kiss him before pulling away with a smile. “Definitely sooner.”

Clint broke into a grin. “It’s a date.”

Chapter 37

Notes:

I was, uh, not expecting a whole month to pass in between updates, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles right now! The next update should definitely be back within the weekly timeframe goal though. :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

All of the team had been more than happy to spend the rest of the day together uneventfully before almost all opting for calling it an early night after concluding a mild debate on the sleeping arrangements between the safe house’s two beds and several sleeping bags.

When Natasha got up after a couple hours to get some water, she was slightly surprised to run into someone else in the kitchen, and more surprised to see Pepper rather than Tony.

The other woman had been standing in front of the fridge and staring at her right arm only to immediately self consciously put it across her body as Natasha walked in. “Uh, hey,” Pepper said, trying to sound as casual as possible. “Something up?”

“Just thirsty.” Natasha moved past her to grab a glass and head to the sink without entirely looking away from Pepper, her gaze discerning. “Do I need to ask?”

Pepper sighed and awkwardly shifted her arm with a glance down. “It’s... a lot.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” Natasha gently asked after filling her glass.

“I don’t know where to start,” Pepper admitted after biting her lower lip, something hesitant in her expression before she continued. “It’s all going to take some time to get over, but this…” She shifted her arm and swallowed, a quaver falling over her voice. “I don’t feel like it’s going to be okay.”

Natasha waited for a moment before replying, a note of reassurance in her tone. “The last few days have been traumatic, you deserve to take some time.”

Pepper nodded and took a deep breath. “I feel like I at least had some preparation worrying about Tony and even kidnapping I’ve had some SI conversations about, but Happy getting hurt and then Extremis…” She nervously exhaled, her voice dropping to a whisper as she continued. “And god, I still can’t believe I actually killed someone! I know it was self-defense, but I still killed him.”

Sympathy lined Natasha’s expression. “I know it’s hard to believe now, but it gets easier, living with it.”

“Oh my god, I hope so,” Pepper fervently said. “I probably can’t even tell anyone outside of the team that I killed him, but I’m going to need therapy.”

“If you’re willing, SHIELD has several therapists, you’re not the first to have to grapple with this,” Natasha gently said without looking away from gauging Pepper’s relieved reaction.

“I think I need that.” After a moment’s pause she lifted her arm to stare at it before ruefully shaking her head. “And probably something to help me sort out how I’m feeling about Extremis.”

“Mmm?” Natasha prompted while sipping at her water, simultaneously arching an eyebrow.

No need to set Pepper any more on edge about the very real possibility of any of the Extremis side effects flaring up than what she was likely already considering.

“I hate how I was experimented on, but I survived this and there’s something appealing about how powerful I feel. Even if I also feel like a weapon now.” Pepper wrapped her arm back around her body and swallowed. “I’m sorry, that’s a lot to-.”

“I understand more than you might think.” Natasha set her glass down with a cautious glance towards the kitchen doorway before holding Pepper’s gaze, letting something intense flicker in her eyes even as she hid a moment of hesitation. “I was, ah, a part of a program when I was younger. They trained me to kill and used me, it’s where I became the Black Widow.”

Pepper’s eyes had immediately widened as she slightly gasped. “Oh my god, Natasha, I’m so sorry.”

“I can’t say that it’s ever easy or that it’s going to be completely over,” Natasha continued after a beat, her voice quietly firm, “but you choose what you become on the other side, what you do with the good and the bad you were given. And you don’t have to do that alone.”

It admittedly caught her slightly off guard as Pepper immediately broke into tears, quickly covering her mouth with one hand to try to stifle a near sobbing sound.

“Sorry,” she cried, “it’s been such a stressful day and I just… I needed that reminder, that it’s not just me in this. I know Tony’s going to try to help every way he can, but he can’t do everything, and I know there are plenty of differences, but to have a little more situational understanding means a lot.” Pepper sniffled and nervously laughed. “I would ask if I could hug you but I’m still worried about Extremis side effects.”

Natasha cast her a softly supportive look. “Whatever you’re comfortable with.”

Pepper sniffled and took a deep breath. “Thanks.” She wiped at her eyes before slightly gesturing over her shoulder. “But I should probably at least try to get some sleep.”

“I’ll be on the couch if you need anything else,” Natasha said while reaching back for her glass.

“Mmhmm,” Pepper hummed with a nod as she turned to the doorway before pausing to add, “You should get some sleep too.”

“I will.”

Natasha finished her water before continuing back to where she had set up on the living room couch with characteristic stealth, carefully stepping over where Clint had volunteered to be in a sleeping bag on the floor.

“Somethin’ happening over there?” he asked in a tired murmur as she moved past, barely cracking his eyes open to peer at her in the dark.

“Just a quick conversation,” she reassured in a matching murmur while glancing over to see if there were any signs of movement from where Steve had set up his sleeping bag on the far side of the room.

Despite no indication he was awake, Natasha was suspicious enough to resist lingering by Clint in case of being noticed.

Oblivious to her side glance, Clint asked, “Good conversation or bad conversation?”

“Productive.” She slipped back into her sleeping bag on the couch in a smooth motion. “Nothing to worry about tonight, Barton. Go to sleep.”

He quietly chuckled and waved one hand in her direction. “Got it.”

--

Clint and Bruce made sure everyone had at least a couple pancakes in them the next morning before deciding what their plans were for the day.

Ultimately, Tony and Pepper committed to quietly visiting Maya after calling the hospital back in Malibu for an update on Happy. After Natasha gently shot down Steve’s idea of accompanying them to the Miami hospital in favor of reducing the attention they could attract, he insisted on at least staying nearby for a bit longer.

In light of the lack of any further immediate threat from AIM, Bruce, Clint, and Natasha felt comfortable enough to start to plan on returning to New York, again reaching out to SHIELD to help coordinate transportation.

(“I’m definitely making an offer for a Quinjet, we clearly need one,” Tony had ruefully remarked.)

Thankfully, nothing of note happened with Tony or Pepper during the flight back to New York, allowing Bruce some much needed time to relax with a few recent journal articles alongside snippets of conversation with Clint and Natasha as they occupied themselves with writing up a summary of events for when SHIELD inevitably asked.

JARVIS greeted them after they were all back in the Tower and politely asked if they wouldn’t mind checking that the memorials which had been placed outside were all innocuous, given that the AI’s abilities were somewhat limited outside the building and in communication to the existing security guards.

“We didn’t even think to talk about Tony’s grand entrance back into the public world of the living,” Clint amusedly commented on their way to ground level after having dropped off all of their respective gear and grabbed coats.

Natasha slightly shrugged as she watched the floor numbers tick down. “The past few days have rattled him, I could see him opting away from something flashy.”

“It’ll probably depend on if he gets recognized at the hospital and what word gets out from there.” Bruce absentmindedly fidgeted with his hands. “Do you think we need to be worried for anything, with everyone finding out Tony’s alive?”

“Eh, probably not any more than we had any reason to be concerned a week ago,” Clint said with a small shrug of his own. “Sure, he still has enemies, all the rest of us probably still have enemies, but if someone felt like making a move in the meantime they’d have done it already. I wouldn’t be worried unless if we’ve heard rumblings of something concrete.”

Bruce nodded with an awkward chuckle. “Somehow that’s only mildly comforting to think about.”

“Why do you think we’re the least public Avengers?” Natasha asked, her voice dry with amusement.

Outside the Tower, there were several memorial shrines to Tony with candles, notes, and various pieces of Iron Man memorabilia.

They split to look the memorials over, Bruce sticking by Clint while Natasha went the other direction to casually peruse the items and messages and confirm that everything seemed to have been placed without ill intent.

If they were to ascribe more emotion to JARVIS, sending them down would almost have come across as protective concern. Regardless, it was touching to see the response to Tony’s perceived death coupled with messages of sympathy and support for the Avengers.

“Speaking of enemies, at least New Yorkers mostly seem to like us,” Clint brightly said once they all stepped back into the building. “Maybe a little bit more Tony, but at least some care about the rest of us too.”

Natasha faintly smiled. “It’s something.”

They gave JARVIS an update on all of the contents of the memorials seeming not to be dangerous before Bruce quietly cleared his throat to directly draw Clint and Natasha’s attention. “Do you mind if I do more of my own things for the rest of the day?”

Clint waved a hand at him. “No worries, we all need some privacy.”

He tried to ignore the flash of a smirk across Natasha’s expression and barely managed to hold back a knowing grin in response, butterflies still fluttering in his stomach at the fact that he wasn’t just imagining their romance.

If Bruce noticed he didn’t show it, only nodding in response. “It’ll be nice to have some down time.”

Clint and Natasha had each technically put in the input for their own floors to keep from cluing Bruce in on anything going on, but cast each other a questioning look as soon as he left for his own floor.

“We have a whole rest of the day to ourselves,” Clint said with a smile. “What’re you feeling up to?”

Her eyes sparkled with conviction even as she coyly replied, “We should be careful in here, our AI friend could always be listening in.”

A little sigh escaped Clint. “Yeah, we really need to set something up with that.” He arched an eyebrow. “But you sound like you have something in mind right now.”

“I wouldn’t mind getting back into a workout schedule.” The elevator dinged open to Natasha’s floor, prompting her to purposefully brush right alongside Clint as she stepped off. “Meet me in the gym in ten?”

He blinked once, his stomach simultaneously doing a familiar leap at the purposeful drop in her voice before he broke into a grin. “I’ll be right there.”

Notes:

As a little heads up, I'm feeling brave enough for the next chapter to bump this up to a M-rating with some smut. If you're following along with this story and smut's not your thing, anything detailed will have notice given so you can skip past it if desired!

Chapter 38

Summary:

The one where Clint and Natasha can't keep their hands off each other

Notes:

Joining my apparent apple juice agenda is the (mild, probably already obvious spoiler alert) sparring leading into sex being a thing for Clint and Nat agenda, so, enjoy! ;)

Chapter Text

Natasha was the first to the gym and had just started to stretch when Clint joined her.

He paused a few feet away after catching her gaze to wryly comment, “You know, I’m legitimately confused what type of workout you’re planning on here. Could always just be me reading too much into things, but this is new from you.”

“Mmm,” she hummed while shifting into another stretch, fully aware of the way he followed her movements. “I was planning on sparring for sure, otherwise I’m flexible.”

Clint quietly chuckled with a little shake of his head as he moved to copy the stretch. “I’m not gonna say no, just that this feels very pointed on top of sparring.”

She innocently shrugged. “We’ll see what happens.”

“Since that’s not distracting at all,” he complained in lighthearted sarcasm.

“You’re good at focusing when you need to.” Natasha couldn’t help a side smirk in his direction. “And you can be direct, Barton.”

He snorted. “Says the one who’s dancing around the topic.” He lifted his arms above his head and held his hands together to reach up into a stretch, the motion momentarily drawing her gaze to the strip of his skin that became apparent as his shirt rode up. With a grin, Clint confidently held the position and added a teasing, “Just how much stretching were you thinking before we get going?”

Her gaze snapped back up to his face, her expression inscrutable. “Only enough to make sure we’re not going to hurt anything.” She nodded towards the sparring mat. “Ready when you are, hotshot.”

“Copy that, Romanoff.” Clint kept to stretching for another few moments before heading to the center of the mat and defensively squaring up opposite of Natasha. “Usual rules for points, best two out of three?”

She made a sound of affirmation before almost immediately darting towards him and aiming a measured hit that he easily dodged away from. Clint angled slightly to the side and responded with an attempt to grab at her wrist which she diverted.

They fell into a quick exchange of sparring blows, each anticipating the other well enough to block and guess at the next action.

After several seconds Natasha dropped into a crouch to avoid a swing and attempted to knock his feet out from underneath him, prompting Clint to hastily scramble back a step. Effortlessly adjusting her weight and position in response, she followed up with a kick towards his lower chest to keep him off balance before she rose back to her full height.

“Point.”

Clint nodded as he planted his feet in a solid stance. “Feels a little familiar.”

She cast him a mildly concerned frown. “Do you want to stop?”

“Nah, I’m good.” He smiled, a hint of strain barely pulling at its edges. “No reason for you to knock me out today.”

“Mmm.”

Natasha waited for him to make the next move, feinting to one side to get her to react before grabbing her shoulder and attempting to sweep her feet out after hooking his ankle around her leg. She slightly stumbled, but managed to catch herself and attempt to grapple his free arm with her own.

He shifted his grip to her forearm and forced her to twist into a fall on her back, immediately followed by Clint dropping to his knees to straddle her while pinning her hands down.

“Felt a little too easy, but point,” he said with another smile, his eyes locked onto hers.

“Don’t undercredit yourself.” Natasha made no effort to move out from underneath him, content to give them both a moment to take a deep breath while staring at the other. “We could always call it a tie here.”

“Yeah?” He quizzically raised both brows. “Pretty fast for us.”

“I’m getting other ideas.” Without trying to completely break his hold on her wrists, she arched up with a pointed glance at his lips before murmuring, “Starting with kissing you.”

She partially smirked as Clint practically dove to kiss her, prompting her to settle back flat as he leaned further over her.

All it took was Natasha just catching his lower lip with her teeth for a sound somewhere between a gasp and a growl to escape him, followed by Clint shifting to hold her face as he deepened the kiss.

For a brief moment it almost felt like they would be able to hold the kiss for forever, caught up in the delight of being able to comfortably embrace before they had to pull apart to gasp in air.

“Okay,” Clint managed to exhale, his eyes dark with desire. “You wanna get outta here?” he huskily asked.

Natasha quietly laughed and reached up to caress one side of his face, want fully apparent in her expression. “Which room?”

“Uh, I do have some condoms in mine.” He moved off of Natasha and helped her back onto her feet. “That okay?”

She comfortingly squeezed his hand. “That’s perfect.”

Hand in hand, they shamelessly hurried to the elevator and pressed the input for Clint’s floor.

Before the doors could close, Natasha threw her arms up around his neck and leaned into another kiss, pressing herself closer against him as Clint gently tugged her in by the hips.

“Nothin’ about our AI friend now?” he breathlessly whispered after a few moments.

“I’ll handle JARVIS.” She pressed a short kiss to his cheek and ran a hand down his arm. “It’s just you and me.”

Clint contently shivered at the contact and slightly adjusted his hands on her hips while swallowing. “Real quick, you sure you want to do this? There’s no pressure, no rush, I-.”

She pressed a finger to his lips, her eyes intense as she stared directly at him. “I’m sure,” Natasha softly said, a fervent edge to her voice.

He responded with another eager kiss just as the elevator doors dinged open, prompting them to walk out without separating from each other.

Natasha slipped her hands just under the hem of his shirt as they moved together, earning a sharp inhale from Clint at the cool brush of her fingers against his skin.

“I’m good,” he murmured before she could ask. “Great, just… wow.”

She quietly laughed and started to slowly push his shirt up. “Distracted yet?” she huskily teased.

“Just a little.” His breath came heavy as he helped his shirt off, carelessly tossing it aside before assisting Natasha with hers.

They jointly stripped while beelining for his bedroom before collapsing together onto the bed in a tangle of limbs, each almost giddy to explore the other with roving hands.

While moving into an increasingly passionate kiss, Natasha hooked one leg over his hip and let out a small moan as Clint tightly gripped her thigh and ducked to kiss at her neck.

“Fuck,” she exhaled while curling one hand around the back of his neck as her eyes briefly fluttered shut, the feel of his calluses pressing against her sending something in her brain into overdrive. “I need this.”

They had seen the other nude plenty of times before, but it felt entirely different to be able to focus on the sensual, memorizing the other’s body through touch and starting to figure what they enjoyed rather than actively worrying about things like blood loss and maintaining even stitches.

Clint groaned as her hands roved down his chest, her nails lightly pressing into his skin as he elicited pleased sighs and shivers from his own ministrations.

He was just about to ask what she wanted to do when she palmed his cock, prompting a shaky inhale as that particular ache momentarily overwhelmed his senses from even more blood rushing.

“Tasha,” he panted, only to break into a guttural moan as she wrapped her hand around his length and started to firmly stroke at him. “Tasha, ‘m not gonna last very long if that’s the plan,” he desperately added, a blush spreading down his chest.

He almost whimpered as she withdrew her hand, followed by rushing to get a condom on before Natasha settled on top of him and all too purposefully canted her hips while leaning down to kiss him on the lips.

Clint did his best to try to feel at her breasts and give her clit some attention as she rode him, but she proved successful first at making him come undone with a shout of her name after a moment’s warning.

“Holy shit, sweetheart,” he breathlessly said with a little laugh when he had regathered himself enough to speak. “I really, really love you.”

Natasha nuzzled at the side of his neck, her expression slightly smug. “I like it when you call me sweetheart,” she murmured with a broad smile.

“Yeah?” Clint ducked his chin to press a kiss to the top of her head and sultrily intoned, “You okay if I make you come now, sweetheart?”

The subtle rumble in his chest combined with the use of the endearment made her shiver in delighted anticipation. “What’re you thinking, Barton?” she murmured back in a matching tone while shifting to look him in the eyes.

Unspoken communication had been such a key part of their relationship for so long, but it almost caught her off guard to see so much loving ferocity in his expression, how the almost dizzying rush of passion and lust between them was drawing out a side of him that was honestly better than how she could have imagined it.

There was no one else she’d trust to unsteady her and soothe her all at once, no one else she could let herself be so vulnerable to and feel so safe with.

No one else she would comfortably let go down on her without a moment’s hesitation.

He almost worshipfully worked up her legs, keeping his pace just slow enough to have Natasha somewhat anxiously tugging on his hair.

“Dammit, Clint,” she sighed in clear annoyance as he took his time on her inner thigh. “You don’t have to learn every reaction today.”

“And no need to rush today,” he replied while flashing her an unapologetic grin.

“Fuck you,” she half growled while tipping her head back, no real bite in her voice.

Drawn out as he was making it, she wouldn’t lie that she was thrilling in the undivided attention, the lengthy buildup of pleasure with the promise of climax just lingering out of reach.

Natasha airily moaned at the first press of Clint’s tongue to her folds and grabbed fistfuls of the sheets to help keep from jostling him as he ate her out and helped guide her legs over his shoulders.

In the back of her mind, she idly wondered if his jaw wasn’t too sore to keep at her and when he might fall back onto his fingers, only to be quickly distracted from the thought as his focus shifted entirely to the swollen bud of her clit and her breath hitched on a wave of pleasure.

Clint couldn’t resist commenting, “You’re doing great, sweetheart,” while steadying her hips and immediately filed away her soft whimper in response as something to explore further at a later time.

He guessed when she was close to coming from her breathing and as she let up on swearing at him in a distracted mix of Russian and English.

“Almost there,” he lowly grunted while glancing up her body to where she had thrown her head back. “I’ve got you.”

She tangled one hand in his hair to hold his head steady. “Don’t stop,” she half gasped, half moaned. “Clint… there. Fuck.”

Natasha’s whole body shuddered as she came, holding him tight between her legs, and Clint did what he could to help draw her orgasm out before studying her reactions and the flush to her skin as she regained control.

“Damn,” he brightly commented as she met his gaze, “that’s satisfying to watch.”

“And satisfying to experience.” She brushed a few stray hairs off her forehead and relaxed her legs around him while arching an eyebrow. “I’m impressed you’re talking so easily.”

“Ah.” Clint rubbed at his lower jaw. “I’ll be feeling that for a bit, but,” his eyes sparkled, “I’m game to do more with my fingers if you want. Or my cock can definitely be talked into more-.”

A relaxed laugh escaped her. “Oh no, we’re not anthropomorphizing anything for sex.”

“Yeah, bad choice of words.” He kissed just below her navel. “But the sentiment still stands. And I can definitely be faster.”

“Mmm.” Natasha tenderly brushed through the back of his hair. “Thank you, but I’ll have to call a raincheck. I think if I don’t get something to eat very soon I’ll get grumpy.”

“Gotcha.”

Helping each other back up, they shifted to the bathroom to clean up. Clint especially enjoyed the chance to help wash Natasha’s hair in the shower before they started warming up a few pizza pockets stashed in his freezer.

Natasha had elected to borrow one of Clint’s t-shirts while he had just thrown on a pair of sweatpants, and they appreciatively gave each other another once-over while waiting on the microwave.

“I know not to get cocky after the first time and all,” Clint said with a proud smile after a moment, “but this bodes real well for future sex. Patient and hurried both.”

She smirked back. “I have some ideas.”

“You look at me like that and I get very excited.”

“Good thing.” Natasha leaned in against him and wrapped her arm around his while prompting a kiss on the lips before she coyly murmured, “You wanna tell me what you were thinking with your fingers for after we eat?”

He chuckled and kissed the shell of her ear before replying. “Okay, so…”

Chapter 39

Notes:

One of these days I'll manage to get back into the week to week publishing schedule, but in the meantime, my continual thanks to everyone who's been following along! Have some domestic fluff for that morning after! ;)

Chapter Text

To her mild surprise, Natasha woke to the smell of fresh coffee, apparently not having stirred when Clint left her side to prep it.

She was quick to get up and beeline into the kitchen, prompting Clint to angle slightly away from where he was cooking up a small stack of French toast to grin at her. “Morning.”

“You’ve been busy,” she amiably commented while brushing past him towards the coffee pot, hovering one hand briefly at the small of his back as she moved.

“Figure the least I can do is be gentlemanly with breakfast,” Clint replied with a wink. “Though I’ve gotta admit I expected you up and about a little sooner. I didn’t think you were that tired.”

“Only comfortable.” Natasha pulled two mugs out of the cupboard and raised an eyebrow at one. “I survived the Battle of Manhattan?” she curiously read while rotating the mug around, the words prominently emblazoned over a panoramic view of the New York City skyline shortly after the Chitauri attack.

Clint sheepishly chuckled and ran a hand through his hair. “Uh, stumbled across that in one of those souvenir things a little after and just, uh, really felt it.”

“It fits.” She poured coffee into both mugs before handing the Battle of Manhattan one to him. “How did you sleep?”

He took a sip before smiling at her and replying. “Great, honestly. Nothing remotely close to any bad memories, just relaxed with you. However cliché it sounds, no complaints on my end.”

Natasha affectionately smirked. “You’re such a sap.”

“And you love me for it,” Clint confidently said as he flipped the last piece of the French toast onto the stack and turned off the burner.

“Mmm,” she hummed while leaning in closer as if just about to go for a kiss, her gaze flickering down to his lips before she continued. “I can think of a few more relevant reasons right now…”

He swallowed and set his mug safely aside without looking away from her. “Is this, uh, breakfast or distraction?”

Natasha prompted a short kiss before replying. “Unfortunately I don’t think we can take too long for anything, at least one of us needs to get to JFK for Jane soon.”

“Now I’m going to feel bad for nearly forgetting.”

“I won’t tell her.” Natasha pulled back after a moment and paused just before starting on her coffee. “Thank you for breakfast.”

“Any time.” Clint put several pieces of French toast on a plate and double checked on syrup before handing it to her. “But does that mean you’re thinking of getting Jane or should I be getting ready?”

“If you wouldn’t mind. I was thinking of getting an update from Tony and Pepper in an hour or so.”

Clint nodded with a thoughtful sound. “Probably good timing.” He ate a couple bites before pointedly arching an eyebrow and asking, “Got any plans for the rest of the day?”

She matched his eyebrow raise while finishing off a sip of coffee. “Are you asking to make some or asking if I’m available?”

“Little bit of both?” He shrugged with both shoulders. “Spontaneously.”

“We’re clearly suited to it,” Natasha said with a side smile.

“I’ll come up with something more concrete after picking up Jane.”

“Either way we’ll figure something out, don’t feel too beholden to trying to figure out an activity.” Natasha’s smile turned a little softer. “All I need is you, Clint.”

His cheeks slightly flushed even as he affectionately smiled back. “Aww, Nat.”

She briefly glanced down while brushing her hair behind her ear. “I know.”

Clint set his plate on the counter and stepped closer to pull her into a one-armed hug, careful not to jostle her food as he leaned in to press a kiss to her forehead. “Love you too.”

--

In hindsight, they hadn’t properly anticipated the amount of questions Jane would have about the apparent Mandarin situation on top of Tony’s seeming death and her frustration at not having been told otherwise in the previous couple of days.

(Clint was silently certain she was partially distracting herself by focusing on something other than Selvig’s observed state of mind from her visit, but it seemed too fragile a topic in the moment to bring up, however carefully.)

After sincerely apologizing for not thinking of updating Jane on recent events and giving other answers to her satisfaction, Clint left her to unpacking and texted Natasha to establish possible lunch plans.

After she finished chatting with Pepper, they ended up deciding on Natasha’s preferred Thai place in Brooklyn, the drive over mostly occupied with telling each other about their respective conversations.

“Probably a good thing that Dr. Hansen has some skin in the game for stabilizing Extremis, then,” Clint commented after Natasha shared that Maya had told Tony and Pepper she owed her survival to a last minute Extremis injection aboard the Norco. “Should hopefully cement that change of heart.”

“She seems genuine, at least.”

“But we’re still going to hold on to some quiet suspicions for a bit just in case, yeah?”

Natasha shrugged one shoulder. “I’d rather be cautious.”

Clint hummed in agreement before quietly clearing his throat and asking, “How does Pepper seem to be doing, with all this?”

“She’s holding up almost surprisingly well, but slightly shaken. How quickly Tony and Dr. Hansen feel they can stabilize Extremis will probably inform when she feels comfortable to go back into the office, other circumstances notwithstanding.”

“Stabilization sounding like complete neutralization or just keeping from running too hot?”

Natasha gave another little shrug. “They haven’t had that much time to talk about what’s realistically possible, and Pepper’s grappling with what she wants.”

Mild surprise flashed across Clint’s features. “Huh. Honestly didn’t pin her for maybe wanting to keep it.”

“She’s considering a lot of factors.”

He cast Natasha a soft side look. “And lucky to have someone like you for support.”

“Tony just as much.”

“Still.”

She ducked her chin with a little smile. “I appreciate the bias.”

“Hey.” Clint set his hand on her knee with a smile of his own. “Just the truth.”

They couldn’t resist sharing a quick kiss upon parking near the restaurant before letting lunch consist of flirtatious banter and reminiscing on favorite memories of their early partnership.

Natasha was the first to check her phone after they ate, prompting her to immediately nudge Clint’s calf with her foot under the table as she read a shared message from Fury.

“Nick’s calling in a favor, asking if we could give a training session sometime soon for a batch of new trainees.”

“Seems doable.” Clint chuckled after a moment. “Can you imagine recruitment numbers lately, after an actual alien attack on New York? HR alone has got to be having a fun time.”

“Undoubtedly.” Natasha glanced up for a moment midway through typing a response. “What do you think about tomorrow or in a couple days?”

He shrugged. “I’m fine for tomorrow. Did he ask for anything in particular or just a basic session?”

“I’ll ask.” She hit send before curiously cocking her head at Clint, a smirk barely pulling at the corner of her mouth. “Are you worried for our professionalism after last night?”

His cheeks flushed a light pink. “Uh, not exactly, I trust that we can keep it restrained around others, a whole class of trainees especially. More just trying to guess how solid a plan we need and what special thing Fury definitely wants us specifically for.” He paused for a second before adding, “Us being among his favorites notwithstanding.”

“Unfortunately I don’t think this will be giving the archery lesson you’ve always dreamed of,” Natasha said, amusement glittering in her eyes.

“Just means more arrows for me, I’m fine with that.” He arched an eyebrow. “Do you think he just misses us?”

She reached for his hand and idly brushed her thumb along the back of his as she replied. “That he probably wouldn’t tell us directly.”

Clint dramatically sighed with a little head shake. “Fury and his secrets.”

“Mmm,” she hummed while checking the new message from Fury. “Nick wants us to give a demonstration of our choice and teach them something useful for field work alongside giving an opinion on their abilities after.”

He nodded along as she spoke. “So probably not anything for undercover PDA-.” He followed with a bright laugh and innocently held up his free hand as Natasha rolled her eyes. “Hey, it is relevant to our experience, but yeah, we should probably stick to something for hand to hand, teach some sort of wristlock or armlock.”

“Which would lend itself to a mixed sparring demonstration and audience participation.” She gave his hand a gentle squeeze. “I think it’s a good plan.”

“Yeah.” He leaned closer across the table with a confident smile. “And are you thinking another gym trip to practice for tomorrow or just playing it by ear?”

Natasha coyly smiled back while propping her chin up against her available hand. “A little practice wouldn’t hurt. And for getting distracted… we’ll see what happens.”

Chapter 40

Notes:

I really have to give a shout-out to my sister for listening to my long winded thought processes on my several rewrites of parts of this chapter over the past while, without her this would definitely look very different!

Chapter Text

Their plan of heading straight to the Avengers Tower gym and seeing what happened from there ended up getting mildly waylaid by needing to detour around a large car accident, followed by discovering that Thor had apparently returned (and undoubtedly left a new set of Bifrost scorch marks on the roof that Tony would end up complaining about).

“Bet he’s going to be disappointed we had a whole other Avengers deal without him,” Clint amusedly commented on the elevator ride en route to Jane’s lab.

“We can see how much he already knows.” Natasha watched as the floor numbers steadily ticked up. “And it certainly wasn’t brief business on his end.”

Clint nodded, a frown slightly pulling at the corners of his mouth even as his brow furrowed. “I’ve got some questions.”

She brushed her hand against his, hooking her pinky around his for a moment as she looked over, soft support in her eyes. “No emergency information to pass on feels like a good sign, at least.”

“Yeah.”

They found Jane, Thor, and Bruce gathered by the main workstation in her lab space and actively mid- conversation while they walked in.

Thor was the first to notice their entrance and cast them a bright smile in greeting. “Clint, Natasha! It seems I have missed several important events in my absence.”

Clint drily chuckled. “That’s putting it simply.”

“We already quickly summarized everything with Tony and Pepper and Killian, how AIM created the Mandarin and Extremis,” Bruce said after quietly clearing his throat.

Concern clouded Thor’s features. “Should I be worried that Tony and Pepper have yet to return, and that Steve is still with them?”

“Steve’s mostly being cautious while Tony and Pepper finish up some business,” Clint said after a half second of hesitation and exchanging a subtle look with Natasha.

She folded her arms with a little nod in his direction. “I wouldn’t be too worried, but they might keep a little distance for a while. Pepper wants to work at a distance until Extremis feels less volatile and Tony’s not in any rush to leave her side.”

Curiosity sparkled in Jane’s eyes. “Dr. Hansen’s helping to stabilize it, right?”

“Dr. Hansen and Tony together,” Bruce confirmed. “Just, uh, around a few of the other things going on for Dr. Hansen right now first.”

After a moment of silence, Thor cleared his throat. “I feel I may need further description of Extremis and what happened to Pepper to entirely understand.”

“Sure thing,” Clint replied before adding in the same breath, “But first, any chance of hearing at least a little of what happened on Asgard to catch me and Nat up? Or everyone, depending on how much you’ve had time for already?”

Thor’s expression turned serious as he nodded. “There were a few incidents of unrest among the other Nine Realms that I helped to address, in addition, ah, to some family matters.” His gaze almost anxiously flickered between Clint and Natasha. “I can elaborate further if desired, but there has been a… significant development with Loki especially.”

“Significant how?” Clint drily asked while Natasha suspiciously narrowed her eyes.

“He is speaking out of honesty when the mood strikes, and has provided some useful information, importantly about his scepter.” Before anyone could reply, Thor was quick to add, “It seems to be powerful enough to evade Heimdall’s sight, but he thinks it to be in the part of Midgard called Europe.”

Jane furrowed her brow. “Anything more specific? Europe isn’t a small place.”

“I’m afraid not,” he sheepishly said. “Heimdall could only narrow down to the broad location by feel, he could not see anything more specifically.”

“Er, how does Heimdall see things?” Bruce asked with a curiously raised eyebrow. “In case if that’s useful for our end?”

“My apologies,” Thor started to say, “I should explain somewhat. Heimdall is Asgard’s gatekeeper, all-seeing and all-hearing across the Nine Realms and beyond.”

Clint made a quiet rueful sound. “But not really all-seeing or all-hearing, otherwise he’d know where the scepter is.”

Thor seemed to bite back some comment, ultimately settling on a slight sigh. “It is not entirely a literal title, like all magics there are limitations.”

Natasha tipped her head towards him in acknowledgement. “Regardless, I’ll grant that having something to indicate Europe should at least narrow down our search efforts. It’s not insignificant.”

After a shared thoughtful pause, Bruce quietly cleared his throat with a downward glance. “We should probably let Tony and Steve know about this.”

“It would be wise.” Thor cast Jane an apologetic look. “I-.”

She reached over to supportively squeeze his hand and cut him off with a knowing half-smile. “Don’t feel bad for worrying about the Avengers business first, I’ve got some work to finish anyhow.”

“Thank you,” Thor graciously said before raising their hands and pressing a kiss to the back of Jane’s, immediately eliciting a slight blush from her and a shy smile. “I will try not to be long.”

While Jane ducked her head in a little laugh, Clint and Natasha exchanged a side look of amusement as Bruce pointed towards the lab door and took a step forward. “I can start to set up the war room for calling them.”

Clint waved to Jane and followed towards the door beside Natasha, slightly leaning over to lowly murmur, “So much for getting distracted.”

She resisted a smirk and casually moved closer by his side to murmur back, “We’ll make up for it.”

--

It came as no surprise to have Fury drop by at the end of Clint and Natasha’s training session, hovering just past the group of the trainees with a stone-faced expression until they left.

Clint finished off a drink from his water bottle and grinned at Fury as he walked up to them. “If we would’ve realized you were coming, we could’ve incorporated you too, sir.”

“Better to have had the audience participation.” Fury stopped a couple feet away. “They all seemed to be picking up on the hold well.”

“It’s a good group,” Natasha agreed as she collected her water bottle and jacket from the side of the sparring mats. “Amadi and Herrera specifically impressed me.”

A smile pulled at Fury’s mouth. “That’s high praise.”

“They’ve got my votes, and Toussaint’s got some strong potential too,” Clint said while sobering his grin and looking Fury in the eye. “How much are we really talking about opinions?”

“It’s not the only thing on my mind.” He barely paused before quizzically raising a brow. “Is Stark serious about asking to buy a Quinjet? Since he sent Hill a fucking offer and said he’s open to negotiation.”

Natasha let out a faintly amused huff and nodded. “He’s serious, he wants the Avengers to have independent transportation after we had to wait through SHIELD channels to get to Malibu and follow him after.”

Fury noncommittally hummed. "I’m surprised his first reaction isn’t to make all of you an Iron Man suit.”

“Pretty sure he probably shot his own idea down there, already guessed what our answer would be,” Clint wryly said.

“I will say that a Quinjet of our own would come in useful, as we look to do a little more globetrotting.” Natasha pointedly glanced around. “Which we were actually hoping to have a longer conversation about.”

Fury quizzically raised an eyebrow but nodded towards the nearest hallway. “My office.” He started to walk forward. “Should I get Hill in on this?”

“Can’t hurt, if she’s available,” Clint said after a side glance at Natasha.

After Fury messaged Hill to meet them, they quietly discussed Clint and Natasha’s opinions of the trainees in more detail while walking to the office, all ignoring the not so subtle curious looks they attracted from some agents in the halls on the way.

Maria appeared to be in the end of a conversation on her earpiece as she glanced up from her tablet when they approached. “Get me a copy of their mission report when you’re done and make sure all of Agent Peterson’s recon notes are attached. Leave me a message if something else comes up before then, I’ll get back to you when I can.” She followed them into Fury’s office as he opened it. “Hill out.”

“Sitwell’s operation?” Fury asked as he settled behind his desk.

She nodded with a mildly frustrated sigh as she settled into one of the chairs. “There were some hiccups. I’ll get you the highlights once it’s on my desk.” Maria glanced between Clint and Natasha. “How’d the training session go?”

“There’ll be some strong choices for field work, we’ll write up our thoughts for you after this.” Clint comfortably settled back in his seat and looked back towards Fury. “If you hadn’t somehow heard yet, Thor came back yesterday and had plenty to tell the Avengers about, specifically about Loki’s scepter.”

Fury clasped his hands together and leaned slightly forward on his desk. “Doesn’t sound like he gave you a specific location, if it’s part of what you’re saying a Quinjet would be good for.”

“No,” Natasha agreed with a shake of her head, “he has an explanation for the apparent magic behind why he can only get an approximation, if you want to hear it. But he says the scepter is somewhere in Europe, we’ll have to search more specifically for it.”

Maria and Fury simultaneously broke into heavy frowns. “Interesting choice for a sensitive object,” he moodily intoned.

“I’ve been keeping an eye on the most relevant research teams, this is definitely being pushed away from the primary SHIELD and WSC channels,” Maria added in a matching tone as she unlocked her tablet.

“Thor’s willing to give Pierce a push by asking about it,” Clint said while absentmindedly drumming his fingers on the arm rests. “But personally I don’t like how this feels either.”

Fury’s frown had only deepened. “Fuck it, I say we let him go straight to Pierce if he wants to. He’s been too goddamn secretive about that scepter and this is where being patient has gotten us.” His focus slid over to Maria. “Remind me next time that this is what we get for sharing.”

“Mmhmm,” she tightly hummed before glancing up. “I have a feeling it’ll turn into a dead end, but I’ll start backtracking where the scientists have been stationed on the record.”

Natasha waited a moment before slightly clearing her throat to catch everyone’s attention. “In one of our team discussions about the scepter, we talked about having Rogers work Pierce, or at least Rumlow and Rollins’ team. Whatever may be there to hide, they’ve shown that they want a working relationship with the Avengers.” She paused, continuing after a supportive nod from Clint. “I think it’s worth hedging our bets for answers, and we could even use letting Thor ask to bolster Rogers’ position.”

“Rogers hasn’t established himself as SHIELD’s friendliest ally,” Maria commented as she looked back at her tablet.

“He’s also Captain America, and we can make a good reason for him to reach out to Pierce, whether that’s following up after Thor or something else.” Clint shrugged with one shoulder. “And I believe he’s got the potential for some subterfuge in him.”

Fury unclasped his hands and leaned back in his chair while evenly regarding Clint and Natasha. “Ask Rogers if he’s willing and tell him to reach out if he is.”

“Will do.”

Maria paused as her phone buzzed and looked up to give Fury a discerning look. “Sir,” she cautiously asked, “are we proceeding with the plan?”

Clint and Natasha exchanged a quick questioning side glance. “Uh,” he started to say, “relevant to us or is that our cue to leave?”

“I had a couple reasons for asking you here today,” Fury cryptically replied while pushing back to stand and nodding at Maria. “Let’s take another walk.”

Natasha briefly pursed her lips as she followed suit and stood, Clint just behind her. “Nick, you don’t normally do surprises like this.”

“You’ll appreciate this one.”

Clint took a last look at Maria over his shoulder to try to gauge the emotion well-guarded in her eyes before following out the door with a mildly concerned frown of his own. “I know secrecy is kinda our thing, but was this or the training the primary reason? Trying to decide whether to retroactively change how flattered to be.”

“I asked you to train because you’re two of the best,” Fury said as they walked. “You decided the timing.”

“Halfway feeling like this is a test now,” Clint lowly muttered.

Their walk took another couple of minutes before they reached one of the base’s more out of the way conference rooms, where Fury stopped outside and specifically looked each of them in the eye. “I am sorry for taking this long, but understand that we had to keep the circle small.” The apology was echoed in his expression. “This wasn’t an easy decision.”

Natasha reached for and twisted the door handle without breaking eye contact. “I believe you.”

Inside the conference room, a man in a suit had his back to them and quickly turned around to greet them at the sound of the door, an all too familiar smile immediately on his face as he softly said, “Uh, hi.”

Clint and Natasha stiffened in near unison, both their eyes going wide in shock and Clint immediately reaching for her hand to help steady himself.

Bozhe moi,” she breathlessly exhaled just as Clint managed out a choked, “Phil?!”

Chapter 41

Notes:

And we're back! Anyone who's familiar with early "Agents of SHIELD" will probably pick up on a few unspoken details here and there in this, but I'm also taking some liberties with some Coulson related details since canon can fight my self-indulgent AU all it likes, lol.

Chapter Text

They could only all stare at each other for a moment, a mixture of surprise and grief washing over Clint and Natasha’s expressions.

“How?” Clint started to ask in astonishment, his throat closing off on a ball of emotion before he could add anything more.

“It’s a long story,” Coulson replied, sympathy lining his features. “But it’s good to see both of you.”

Natasha slightly squeezed Clint’s hand. “You died,” she tightly said while giving Coulson an appraising once-over, searching for any details out of place almost as if to prove it couldn’t actually be him. “Seven months ago.”

He slowly nodded and was about to reply before Clint cut him off with a note of desperation. “Medics fucking called it after Loki, your name’s on the Wall of Valor from your funeral… how the hell are you here?”

“Take a seat,” Fury said as he entered behind them, his voice a mixture of command and gentle patience. “We’ve got plenty to talk about.”

Clint swallowed and subtly let go of Natasha’s hand as they followed Fury’s lead to settle in a chair around the conference table, still unable to quite look away from Coulson. “No kidding.” Frustration roiled in his tone, a sarcastic layer following. “Not like we’ve been grieving for seven months or anything.”

“I told you it wasn’t an easy decision,” Fury started to reply, a degree of measured irritation in his voice. “And we,” he gestured at Coulson, “agreed that because of your history together, it was better to wait until he was fully recovered and ready to let you know he was back from the dead.”

Before Clint or Natasha could say anything, Coulson quickly added, “I’ve been nervous about seeing you again after everything that’s happened.”

“Do we get to hear what recovery entailed?” Natasha asked, her expression slightly guarded. “I’ve seen the security footage,” she ignored Clint’s eyes slightly widening in her peripheral as she continued, “getting stabbed through the heart is more than a temporary death sentence.”

“He was very dead,” Fury said with a small nod. “But there’s been an experimental plan for fatal injury since the beginning of the Avengers Initiative, and I decided the situation warranted activation.”

Clint furrowed his brow and anxiously drummed his fingers on the table as he glanced between Fury and Coulson. “So why take so long to tell us, why leave Coulson officially dead on the record?”

Fury evenly held his gaze. “I waited to make the call knowing it was a major risk in the first place, and then better to be pragmatic and only let you know if it worked after seeing how he came out on the other side.”

“What kind of experimental risks?” Natasha asked with her focus on Coulson.

A distant look had entered his eyes. “There were some complications,” he quietly said with a glance down at the table. “I obviously don’t remember much of anything from early on, but… recovery took some time. Physically and emotionally.”

Fury waited for a moment before continuing. “Regenerating cellular tissue puts some strain on the rest of the body, and suffice it to say the source of the research left some unknown variables we encountered.”

“This still your plan for a fatally injured Avenger then?” Clint asked with a frown. “Especially since you’re not giving us a lot on these side effects and actual recovery process?”

“It’s under continued evaluation,” Fury mildly replied.

Coulson cleared his throat. “How are the Avengers doing? I’ve heard a little here and there, and it seems like you’ve all come together well as a team.”

“Been some ups and downs, but it’s working out.” Clint briefly pursed his lips. “Anyone ever mention that your death played a part in getting Stark and Rogers to get fully on board with the team?”

“I had an idea,” Coulson said with a sad smile.

Natasha curiously cocked her head to the side. “Do you want them to know about your miraculous return yet, or are we the exception because of our shared history?”

“I’m not sure that I’m quite ready to let everyone know,” he admitted after a moment’s hesitation. “Publicly being dead has some uses.”

Clint exchanged a quick questioning side look with Natasha. “Safe to say that recovering hasn’t taken up all of seven months then?”

“Physically speaking, no. Otherwise it’s an ongoing process.” A subtle degree of nervousness entered Coulson’s expression. “I’ve been keeping myself busy for the past few months though. Given how I’m technically dead and that Delta’s shifted to operating on demand outside of the Avengers, there’s no point in supervising like I used to. So I’m running a small team, working on quietly investigating unclassified cases.”

Natasha and Clint arched an eyebrow in near unison, the former adding a pointed look to Fury. “So we’re keeping the circle small by bringing in other agents first?”

“You can blame me for that, it’s been part of seeing how I’m doing,” Coulson quickly said. “Something active enough to settle into and the chance to interact with new people without too much judgement for whether I’m acting strange. Less personal seemed the right place to start.”

“Are you acting strange?” Clint asked with a concerned frown.

Ignorant of the subtle crease that crossed Fury’s brow, Coulson shook his head. “Not beyond increasingly reckoning with my own mortality. I’ve healed surprisingly well and I feel like I’m socializing well besides getting back into having regular responsibilities.”

Natasha leaned slightly forward against the table. “Can I ask who’s on your team?”

“Mostly junior agents, but I also wanted someone with a little more experience, so I, ah, was able to talk May back out from a desk.”

She slowly nodded with a quiet sound of interest. “That’s why she turned me down for book club.”

“You have a book club?” Coulson asked, a well held mixture of curiosity washing over his features while his eyes brightened in near delight.

“With Maria and Pepper, we meet with a local group.” An almost bittersweet smile barely tugged up at one corner of Natasha’s mouth. “You’d enjoy it.”

“I’m sure,” he softly replied.

Clint waited for a few seconds before clearing his throat with a glance at Coulson and Fury. “Not that I don’t appreciate being looped in for you being alive, however long it took, but anything else important for all this you want to finally let us know about?”

“I promise to be in contact from here on out,” Coulson said, his expression open. “I’d love to, ah, catch up, if you’re willing.”

Natasha nodded while she unobtrusively leaned back and reached to touch Clint’s hand under the table. “As long as we’re all sharing.”

He carefully shifted his hand to lace their fingers together, his grip tight despite the light note to his voice. “Don’t think you can get rid of us just by dying.”

Coulson tightly smiled in reply. “Never the intention.” After a beat he looked at Fury. “Any points you want to add, sir?”

“Not unless if any of you have more specific questions to raise.”

Natasha pointedly caught his gaze. “Are you planning on any briefing about this resurrection method in your continued evaluation?”

“We’ll talk.”

After a moment, Clint swallowed and glanced down. “Gonna be honest, boss, this is all going to take some time to process before I’m even sure what questions to have.”

“Take as much as you need,” Coulson reassuringly said just as his phone dinged from inside his jacket pocket, prompting him to pull it out with an apologetic look as he pushed away from the table. “Sorry, May’s calling. We’ve got a lead we’re following.”

Clint nodded at Coulson as he started to step out of the room. “Sounds important.”

As soon as he had left, Natasha slightly narrowed her eyes at Fury. “He doesn’t know about some of the side effects from his recovery, does he?”

“No,” Fury firmly said after an exhale, an almost tired note falling over his expression. “And I’m asking you to trust my reasons for that. For his sake and yours.”

“So it’s something that bad?” Clint almost morosely asked.

Fury momentarily pursed his lips before replying, a layer of irritation to his voice. “You really think hearing how he almost didn’t make it is going to make you feel better? That I haven’t given not telling you any of this before now plenty of thought?”

Natasha and Clint both stared at him for a beat before she quietly asked, “Do we currently need to be concerned for him?”

“Not actively.” Fury paused before adding, “If it reassures you at all May knows to keep a close eye on him.”

Clint raised both eyebrows and let go of Natasha’s hand as he leaned back in his seat while almost grumpily folding his arms. “Before or after he talked her into his team?”

“You know damn well I cover my bases,” Fury mildly said, his expression even.

Natasha levelled him with a matching look as she echoed Clint’s lean. “We’re not going to pretend like this doesn’t sting, being left out until now.”

He broke into a little sigh as his expression slightly softened. “I know. I wasn’t expecting any sort of forgiveness. Just wanted to start to make it right.”

“That’s going to take some time,” Clint gruffly said, unflinching as Fury focused on him.

“Never said that I expected anything less.” Fury waited for a beat before pointedly tipping his head towards the door. “May’s only gonna give him so much over the phone. Either of you want to talk more after or head out?”

Clint relaxed the set of his arms and exchanged a questioning side look with Natasha before replying, “Probably better off waiting for another day.”

Fury looked each of them directly in the eyes for a moment. “Don’t hesitate to reach out when you’re ready.”

“You’ll know when,” Natasha quietly replied.

After a few moments of tense silence, Coulson stepped back in to apologetically inform that he needed to leave, prompting Clint and Natasha to also make their exit.

They both shakily exhaled once they were back in the car and exchanged a long, soulful look before Clint ruefully remarked, “Think we both need a drink.”

“Make it strong.”

Chapter 42

Notes:

I can make no guarantees for when to get back to a regular posting schedule currently, but we'll just keep trucking along! It's... something to take a step back and remember how long now I've been going at this, thank you to everyone who's been coming along on the journey!

Chapter Text

Clint set his glass down on the side table and heavily sighed as he leaned back to set his head in Natasha’s lap and stretch out across the couch. “Seven goddamn months and he’s alive… doesn’t feel real.”

She quietly hummed in agreement and started to gently massage Clint’s scalp with one hand, her gaze slightly distant. “I don’t think it will for a while.”

He rubbed at his face with one hand. “Don’t even know whether to be more relieved he’s miraculously alive or pissed we were purposefully the odd ones out for this long.”

“That’s the problem,” Natasha murmured, her expression tinged with a vulnerable sadness as she ended on a frown.

Clint reached for her free hand and gave a supportive squeeze. “At least Coulson and Fury know it’s complicated from us.”

“Don’t forget Hill.” Natasha’s frown grumpily deepened. “His reasons for not immediately telling us notwithstanding, if she knew before the Wall of Valor ceremony…”

“Yeah,” Clint tightly replied. “There’s a lot to talk about.”

They both stayed silent for several more moments, each in their own reflections before Natasha remarked, “Phil seemed plenty happy to finally see us again, but it doesn’t sit well that he waited this long.”

Clint blew out a breath. “I do mostly want to take the reasoning of being worried about side effects and recovery taking longer than they specifically wanted to tell us at face value, but I’m with you there.” He made a quiet, rueful sound. “Is it too cynical to wonder if it’s really that easy for him to move on from supervising us?”

She comfortingly ran her hand through Clint’s hair, her expression pensive. “Then we’re both cynical.”

“On the other hand though,” Clint murmured with a moody wave of his open hand, “I’m just going to feel a different sort of guilt if he’s really just been nervous. Like he thought we’d started to move on or something.”

“It’ll be a long conversation.” She shifted her hand in his to start to lace their fingers together, her voice going soft. “Have you really been blaming yourself about Phil this long?”

“… Tiny bit,” Clint confessed after a long moment of hesitation before quickly adding, “I promise I know the blame really goes to Loki, I’m not backtracking on that, it’s just…,” he swallowed, “hard not to wonder if I could’ve done anything different-.”

“Don’t,” Natasha warned, her eyes intense as she directly held his gaze. “You know full well where that spiral leads.”

He resisted the urge to self-consciously look away and let a dry note into his tone. “Easier said than done, Nat.”

Her voice stayed quiet. “I’m aware.” She started to smooth his hair from how she had ruffled it. “Which is why I can advise you not to go too far down that path.”

Clint gave her hand another squeeze. “I love you, you know.”

“I know,” Natasha replied with an affectionate smile before questioningly cocking her head to the side. “We can keep on talking if you want, but I feel like we could use a distraction.”

He arched a brow in initial response. “What type of distraction are you thinking?”

“I wouldn’t mind a shower, and,” she shifted to hold the side of his face, her smile turning slightly coy, “you’re welcome to join me.”

Interest immediately lit up Clint’s features. “That sounds like a good plan.”

--

Natasha slowly blinked to awareness, taking a few moments to realize she had woken up to the sound of Clint’s phone alarm on her bedside table.

She waited another moment to confirm that he was still fast asleep before twisting under his arm to swipe the alarm off and settling onto her side as Clint sleepily pulled her closer.

“Sorry,” he murmured without opening his eyes, “forgot I had that going.”

“We were a little distracted.” She lightly bumped his knee with hers. “Something important?”

“Just a reminder to get up and do some exercises, but I’m not worried about it right now.” He slightly shifted his arms around her. “Much rather stay here for as long as we can.”

Natasha smiled and snuggled closer. “I figured you’d be the romantic type, but you still surprise me.”

He cracked his eyes open while casting her a lighthearted frown. “Hopefully surprising in a good way?”

“Would I be here if I didn’t enjoy it?” she almost coyly countered, her smile widening as she finished. “I think it’s very sweet of you.”

“Aww, Nat.” He broke into a grin. “I’m happy to be as cheesy as you want.”

“That depends-.” She went silent as her phone loudly vibrated beside Clint’s.

He couldn’t refrain from a disappointed sigh as she pushed herself up on an elbow and moved to check the screen. “Is a morning without getting interrupted that much to ask for?”

“Eventually,” Natasha murmured before sobering her expression as she raised the phone to her ear. “Tony?”

Clint curiously arched an eyebrow and started to sit up while watching Natasha’s expression as she replied to whatever Tony had said on the other end.

She had slightly pursed her lips, her brow furrowed. “You’re going to have to give me more details.”

“Good or bad?” Clint quietly asked as she looked over at him, careful to keep his voice low enough to hopefully not be picked up on the speaker.

Natasha shifted to shrug with one shoulder, waiting another moment before saying anything more to Tony. “You could always directly tell Rogers that.”

Clint inched closer in a not at all subtle attempt to listen in, bolstered by Natasha making no effort to stop him.

“…making a plan there and letting him know, we can reassure him that no one’s come after us yet and probably isn’t going to, plus Pepper could probably singlehandedly take anyone down right now.”

“Careful what you wish for,” Natasha drily said.

“I know.” Tony cleared his throat after a moment. “But can I count on your help with Rogers?”

“I’ll help, but you need to at least broach the topic with the rest of the team first. I won’t be your message runner.”

“Fair, I’ll reach out.” Tony barely paused before asking, “Do you figure Barton’s awake yet?”

She rolled her eyes at Clint while replying. “Am I supposed to be keeping track of his every move?”

“You’re just attached at the hip half the time, figured it couldn’t hurt to ask, in case if you’d started the day with an early morning workout together or something.”

“Attached at the hip, huh?” Clint murmured beneath his breath with a grin while teasingly waggling his eyebrows at Natasha.

She held a finger to his lips. “Anything else you wanted to ask or talk about, Tony?”

“I’m going to work on talking to everyone, but thanks.” He hung up without a warning.

“So he wants to get rid of Steve as a bodyguard, huh?” Clint asked after a beat of silence.

Natasha nodded as she set her phone back down. “Tony feels he’s being too protective and needs something else to do.”

“Makes sense- and that’s probably him,” he partially sighed as his phone rang and lit up on a call, Tony’s contact info on the screen.

“Act natural,” she lightly teased as Clint leaned over her to grab the phone.

“My specialty,” he commented with a wink before purposefully yawning. “Hey, Tony? … Uh, sure, I can talk…”

Natasha opted to get dressed while Clint chatted with Tony and smirked over her shoulder as he finished. “’Just woke up’ was your plan?”

He innocently shrugged. “A bit of the truth while not being obvious I was right beside you for your call. And showing that I take rest days. Made sense to me.”

She finished pulling on her shirt and ran a hand through her hair. “Any disagreement about encouraging Steve to start working Pierce?”

“Nah, we need to start pushing.” Clint moved off the bed and started to regather his scattered clothes from the night before. “Do you think anyone else actually saw me in these and I can get away in them again without raising any questions?”

“You’re probably safe to wear them, Tony’s the only one who would overtly comment anyways.” Natasha stepped into his space and put a hand on his forearm before leaning into a brief kiss. “I’m getting something to eat before we talk with the others, do you want coffee?”

“Please and thank you.”

--

With Steve agreeing it was worthwhile to return to New York and plan what action to start in regards to Pierce, he ended up landing mere minutes off from Darcy’s flight, leaving him to initially answer most of her questions after Jane picked them up.

“Sorry about throwing you alone into an interrogation, Cap,” Clint lightly commented as the present Avengers all gathered in the war room.

Steve shrugged back with an understanding smile. “They were reasonable questions to have after all that’s happened, I didn’t mind.” He cleared his throat as he settled into a seat. “But we wanted to discuss starting to investigate Secretary Pierce?”

“You should call, use Tony’s recent actions as a way of expressing that the Avengers has its flaws and you want to take up the offer to coordinate without speaking for the whole team,” Natasha said. “I’d consider bringing up how SHIELD resources were a significant part of how we were even able to help in a timely manner. Right now all you need is a foot in the door.”

From the side, Thor curiously frowned. “Do we truly want to admit a lack of our capabilities to Secretary Pierce?”

Clint nodded in his direction. “If we can use ‘em strategically. Steve needs a reasonable in.”

“And we’re sure they’ll buy it?” Bruce asked while absentmindedly adjusting his glasses.

“That all depends on how Steve presents himself.” Natasha focused on Thor. “Also, do you want a chance to directly ask Pierce about Loki’s scepter first or are you comfortable waiting?”

A determined shadow crossed Thor’s expression. “I would like to see what he would tell me.”

“And I’m waiting to hear the response you get before reaching out?” Steve asked as he folded his arms and leaned slightly forward against the table while looking between Thor and Natasha.

“Ideally,” she confirmed.

Clint let a moment of communal silence pass before asking, “Are we getting more into details today or leaving that until after Thor?”

“I wouldn’t mind hearing more of what you know about Pierce and his STRIKE team along with the upper SHIELD hierarchy,” Steve replied to Clint and Natasha, “but that doesn’t have to involve everyone.”

Thor slightly raised a hand to catch everyone’s attention. “Is there anything else you think I should know before I would go?”

“Are you thinking of going for surprise or making an appointment?” Amusement crossed into Clint’s voice. “Not that catching Pierce off guard would be a bad thing, but you’d probably cause an emergency alert for every agent in the Triskelion on the way in and will have to choose how much of a scene you want to make on the way out.”

“That will not be a problem,” Thor said with a small, confident chuckle. “Just tell me where exactly in the building to find Secretary Pierce and I will take care of the asking.”

Natasha arched a brow. “Hundreds of trained agents could still stop you in combination.”

“And I will be there as a prince of Asgard, they would be foolish to threaten me.”

“Causing an interplanetary incident with an Avenger doesn’t seem like something Secretary Pierce would want to encourage, at least, if what we’ve heard from Rumlow and Rollins is an accurate indication,” Bruce commented.

Clint hummed in quiet agreement. “Good point, they’ll only civilly try to stop you once they’re reminded about that, but I still wouldn’t provoke too much.”

“I do understand the importance of diplomacy,” Thor drily said.

“Regardless of the exact response,” Steve quickly interjected, “it’ll tell us something important and we’ll go from there.”

Natasha caught Thor’s gaze. “How soon do you want to leave? We can ask Fury and Hill whether Pierce is currently in DC or elsewhere first.”

“As soon as we know.” Thor’s demeanor went moody. “I have already delayed for long enough.”

Chapter 43

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Uh oh,” Darcy worriedly said as she glanced up from her knitting project at the sound of a loud roll of thunder from outside. “I literally just looked at the weather like seventeen minutes ago and it said clear skies, that’s gotta be because of Thor.”

Bruce and Natasha both frowned and looked up from their own projects towards the windows to see dark storm clouds having filled in the horizon.

“He didn’t get productive answers then,” Bruce partially sighed.

“Which is disappointing, but hardly shocking.” Natasha started to set her half-knitted sock aside. “JARVIS,” she called to the ceiling as she stood, “can you let Clint and Steve know Thor’s back and to meet us in the war room?”

“Right away, Miss Romanoff.”

Bruce followed Natasha after casting Darcy an apologetic look. “Hopefully this shouldn’t be too long-.”

She waved a hand at him before starting another stitch. “No worries, go be Avengers.”

Unsurprisingly, Thor’s mood matched the storm, held back into annoyance as he debriefed the team on his visit with Pierce.

He had politely avoided revealing anything about the scepter’s location, citing it as highly classified SHIELD information for the time being before pointedly asking Thor to leave.

“I’m still trying to figure why he really thinks it’s a good idea to keep the alien brainwashing device a personal secret,” Tony grumpily commented from his end of a phone call to incorporate him in the conversation.

“It is a powerful item to have in one’s possession.” Thor deeply frowned and made a bitter sound. “I should have known better than to let it into mortal hands.”

“You had Loki and the Tesseract as pretty big priorities for your attention at the time on top of getting them back to Asgard, don’t blame yourself too much,” Clint immediately replied, an empathetic note to his voice.

Thor cast him a quick grateful look before continuing as his expression hardened back into frustration. “I am still at least partially to blame for the scepter’s present disappearance-.”

“And you’ve gotten us significant information for helping to find it,” Natasha interrupted. “There’s no question that you’re making it right.”

Bruce added a supportive nod from the side. “Today was still useful.”

“Not just because you figured out how easily you can get into the Triskelion,” Tony blithely said without missing a beat. “Never know when that could be useful.”

Steve let out a partial sigh. “Tony-.”

“I’m just saying it’s good to have a god on our side who could easily get past some barriers if we needed. Better to be prepared for anything, right?”

“I am plenty capable of forcing my way into the Triskelion if it ever becomes necessary,” Thor agreed.

Clint pointedly cleared his throat. “Which is handy to have in reserve, but we are aiming a little more for espionage from here.”

“Speaking of which,” Steve said as he started to push away from the table, “unless if anyone thinks I should wait a little longer, I’m going to call the Secretary and see where I can start.”

“Don’t forget to use your best disappointed Captain America voice when talking about us to really sell the ruse,” Natasha lightheartedly replied even while keeping her expression perfectly serious.

Steve nodded back, barely holding back a faintly amused smile. “I’ll do my best.”

--

Admittedly, taking Darcy up on her suggestion of an impromptu movie night for everyone in the Tower was a welcome distraction from thinking about other people’s secrets for at least a couple hours.

Even while Clint was especially conscious of keeping his own, careful to stay a reasonably casual distance from Natasha as they settled side by side on their preferred couch in the lounge.

“We’re doing something lighthearted since we all need some downtime,” Darcy declared as she worked the remote. “And, Jane?” She waited for the other woman to questioningly look at her before continuing. “You’re not allowed to be critical of it right now. Bruce, that potentially goes for you too.”

“Uh, I wasn’t planning on giving too much commentary,” he cautiously replied.

Jane’s look had turned amiably suspicious. “What are you-?”

Short Circuit. If you don’t already know it,” Darcy said with a broad gesture towards everyone, briefly ignoring the recognition that had bloomed across Bruce and Jane’s expressions, “just hold the criticism on the tech, it was 1986.”

Natasha made a quiet sound of amusement before she broke into an unapologetic smirk. “It’s very thoughtful of you to want to catch Steve up on what he missed.”

He let out a mildly annoyed sigh, his shoulders slightly falling in the action. “I do know not to take every film I see as a historical documentary.”

“Which this is definitely not, this is one hundred percent just for entertainment.” Darcy shrugged after a moment. “Not that this isn’t obviously a product of the eighties though, full disclaimer.”

Jane couldn’t help a wry huff. “You could say that.”

“Separate discussion, Janie, we know there are liberties taken,” Darcy breezily replied as she started the movie and dimmed the lights.

Shortly through the opening scenes, Natasha moved closer to Clint and tucked her legs up underneath her while putting an arm up across the back of the couch to brush her fingers against his neck.

He contently shivered at the contact and briefly leaned into it before arching an eyebrow at her and mouthing, “We’re not being sneaky?”

She shrugged with one shoulder and mouthed back, “They’re not watching us and it looks casual enough.” Her eyes sparkled as she teasingly smiled and raised her voice to a whisper while leaning in towards him. “Are you really worried we can’t keep a secret?”

“Just that I’ll be too obvious.”

She ran her fingers through the back of his hair and filed away the little catch to his breath as something to explore further another time. “Mm, have a little more trust in yourself.”

They ended up shifting back apart throughout the movie, spurred in part by noticing Jane briefly glancing their way as Thor leaned down to whisper something to her.

“So now we’re all obligated to make at least one Johnny 5 reference to Tony, right?” Clint openly joked as the credits rolled.

Darcy let out a laugh. “That was secretly the goal.”

“If he has not seen this film already, I do think Tony might enjoy it,” Thor remarked after a moment.

Jane noncommittally hummed and inclined her head towards him. “He’s probably already seen it, knowing Tony I’d guess he knows his classic sci-fi pretty well.”

“He might have seen the sequel too,” Bruce commented with a small smile.

Darcy loudly gasped, her reaction unclear whether it stemmed from excitement or surprise. “Hold on, there’s a sequel?”

“I don’t remember it nearly well enough to comment on whether it was any good,” Bruce cautioned before adding, “but it exists.”

“Oh my god, I don’t know if that’s the greatest or the worst news I could’ve learned from tonight.” Her eyes bright, Darcy pulled out her phone and immediately started typing. “Now I have to track this down!”

Jane half groaned. “You know it could be terrible, right?”

“Like we haven’t watched our fair share of bad movies together?” Darcy countered, her tone light with teasing as she added a purposeful eyebrow waggle.

“When we were looking for a distraction,” Jane pointedly replied, finishing on a similarly intentioned look.

“I think it could be an interesting film,” Thor said after a moment as he adjusted his arm around Jane’s shoulders, followed by Steve nodding in agreement.

Clint held out a hand at Darcy. “So once you find the sequel you’re going to have another movie night for it, is what I’m hearing.”

She gave him a thumbs up. “For sure, we’ll even have more snacks.”

Quiet enough for only Clint to catch as the others continued the main conversation, Natasha murmured, “Jane has a point, I’d at least want to look up the plot description before committing to the sequel.”

“Aw, Nat, c’mon,” he murmured back while unable to keep from smiling. “Even if it’s bad it’ll probably still be fun.”

“Mm.”

“Worst case you can always complain about it with Jane.”

Natasha slightly tipped her head towards him in acknowledgement. “So you can explain any especially eighties details to Thor and Steve?”

He surreptitiously coughed to keep from chuckling. “Eh, I think they can keep up.”

If Clint didn’t know her so well, he would have missed the side smile she cast him before focusing back on the rest of the group and responding as though she had been paying perfect attention the whole time. “You should ask Pepper. Between SI and her other connections, she could set you up with something.”

Steve nodded at Natasha with a thoughtful expression. “Good point, thank you.”

The group conversation meandered for several minutes before Darcy straightened in her seat and made a sudden eager sound. “Okay, since we’re basically all here, I have to ask, is there going to be anything exciting happening here for New Year’s? I feel like there should be something exciting…”

Notes:

If you like some classic sci-fi fun and haven't seen Short Circuit, I do recommend it! (Though as is stated, there are some ways in which it is definitely a product of the 80s, fair warning.)

Chapter 44

Notes:

I actually had plans of posting the New Year's Day part on New Year's Day but... better late updates than never, right? It'll be coming soon at least. As always, life is certainly a little hectic and I admittedly got off course by focusing on Clintasha Advent and a couple side projects for December, but we are back to your semi-regular "redamancy" updates!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Admittedly, Darcy’s pitch for the Avengers and company having a New Year’s Eve and Day party held some appeal for everyone at the Tower, not least of all because taking on some party supply errands gave Clint and Natasha an easy excuse to get out together without hopefully further raising anyone else’s romantic suspicions.

“I dunno, maybe the gold ones?” Clint suggested as they perused New Year’s themed decoration options in a party supply shop. “I think they’ll catch the light too if we’re putting them up in the lounge, should look real nice.”

Natasha turned to look over his shoulder at the decoration option in question and made a quiet sound of approval. “I think so.”

“And bonus that if Tony would get back in time to join the party, we can say it’s gold partially for him.”

“Maybe.”

Clint quizzically raised an eyebrow at her. “Are you being cryptic about flattering Tony or when he’ll be back as in there’s a new development in how Pepper’s feeling?”

“Tony and Dr. Hansen are confident in how to stabilize Pepper,” Natasha explained, careful to keep her voice low for only him to hear, “but she wants to give that treatment a few days to settle in before coming back. And she’s still debating the long-term decision with Extremis.”

“At least stabilization is a huge step, wasn’t sure how long the R&D was going to take on that, geniuses working on it aside.” Clint started setting the gold decorations in their shopping basket. “And Pepper still sounds like she’s doing pretty well aside from having to weigh the pros and cons of Extremis then?”

“Mostly.” Natasha paused to glance over a metallic purple pennant banner product before adding, “If nothing else, she’s still on top of things enough to catch up on reading for book club.”

He made a quiet sound of interest. “No kidding. Do you think it’s likely for her to be back in time for the next meeting?”

Natasha briefly pursed her lips. “If she isn’t, I won’t go.”

Clint immediately raised both eyebrows. “I thought you liked book club.”

“I do,” her gaze stayed focused on the banner packaging even as she only half read the words, “but I want Hill to know I’m still frustrated with her and Fury outside of our professional interactions.”

A shadow crossed Clint’s expression as he grumpily furrowed his brow. “Yeah,” he almost gruffly murmured, “that’s still gonna take a while to forgive.”

She set the banner down and reached over to brush her hand against his, unsurprised as he grabbed on and comfortingly squeezed. “If you can see yourself entirely forgiving.”

He blew out a heavy exhale, tinged with an almost rueful edge. “It’s definitely complicated.”

They were both contemplatively silent for a long moment before she took a step towards the far end of the aisle and gently tugged him with her. “We should see if they have the right type of balloons for Darcy.”

Debating what colors were best to get the balloons in was enough to sufficiently lighten the mood, prompting Clint to suggest a quick stop at a bakery on their route back to the Tower.

“Question is, do we feel like sharing something with everyone else or just for us?” he lightly commented as they settled onto the subway, both of them pleasantly surprised that they had snagged seats without being too close to anyone else. “Not that it’d be hard to bring back another bag too, but…”

“Or we can do both,” Natasha replied with an almost teasing smirk and a matching sparkle in her eyes. “I do want to spend some time with you, Barton.”

He warmly smiled back. “Right, much better idea.” After a second his eyes lit up. “Pretty sure this place has a really good chocolate éclair, we should try those.”

“Did I miss you visiting all the bakeries in the area and taking notes?” she amusedly asked.

“I’ve, uh, been doing some more research into local food tours,” he said before almost shyly adding, “if you’re still interested in doing that together sometime.”

She broke into another teasing smirk and gently bumped his knee with hers before replying, her tone blithesome. “Have I not been clear enough that I want to do normal couple things like going on dates with you? I’m still interested.”

Clint self-consciously chuckled before beaming at her. “Just blame my nerves, I’m still having moments where I can’t believe we’re actually happening and get worried I’ll mess it up.”

“You’re not getting rid of me that easily,” Natasha reassured, her expression entirely affectionate.

He gave a lighter chuckle. “Thanks for choosing me.”

After emerging at the closest stop to the bakery, they skirted around a couple traffic cones blocking off a section of the sidewalk before having to wait for the crosswalk at an intersection, the moment of pause instinctively prompting them each to take a more thorough look at their surroundings.

The streets were busy with vehicular and pedestrian traffic as far as they could see, the pedestrians tending to be clustered in pairs or little groups with the occasional solo walker weaving in between. A handful of businesses still had Christmas decorations on display, but several were already advertising to capitalize on New Year’s resolutions.

Nothing stood out of the expected for a Manhattan street in the early afternoon until Natasha sensed Clint stiffen beside her just as he sharply gasped.

“Clint?” she immediately asked as she looked back to him, not bothering to hide the undercurrent of concern in her voice.

His face had gone pale, his eyes wide and his gaze locked onto something down across the street even as his breathing went shaky.

“Clint?” she worriedly repeated while following his line of sight, urgently trying to find exactly what had caught his attention.

There.

Walking the opposite direction from them was someone with shoulder length black hair and a fitted coat, a cell phone held up to their ear as they moved.

Shit.

Mindful of the side looks they were starting to get from surrounding pedestrians, Natasha set one hand to Clint’s back and leaned in to whisper in his ear. “Clint, it’s not him. Loki’s not here, it’s okay.”

He heavily swallowed and continued to unerringly watch the would-be Loki figure as he replied, his voice tight with apprehension. “Tasha, it could-.”

“He’s secure on Asgard, it’s not him.” After another moment she put a little pressure into her touch and a firm note to her voice as she quickly murmured, “We can talk about this but people are starting to notice us, we can’t stand here and stare.”

Clint took a deep breath and briefly screwed his eyes shut before marginally relaxing his stance. “Right.” He let Natasha steer him out of the way on the sidewalk with several glances back in the direction of the apparent doppelganger before looking her directly in the eyes, something almost desperate in his expression. “Please don’t tell me I just imagined him.”

“No,” she reassured, “I saw the same thing.” She reached for his hand, refraining from a frown at the way it was slightly shaking. “But it can’t be him-.”

“I know he’s supposed to be locked away on Asgard,” Clint quickly interrupted, “I know it actually being him isn’t supposed to be possible right now but god, Natasha, what if it is?” His expression and tone had gone strained and he angled in the direction of the doppelganger. “We’ve gotta go after him and find out at least.”

Natasha put her other hand against his chest as he took a partial step forward. “And what if we’re chasing a ghost?” she gently asked while holding his gaze, holding back a reaction at the increasing desperation in his eyes.

His voice barely came out above a whisper. “I just need to know so I can sleep tonight.”

They stared at each other for a few seconds before Natasha squeezed his hand and withdrew her other from his chest with a brief glance down. “You take this side, I’ll split across the intersection.”

“Thank you,” Clint meaningfully said before separating from her to hurry down the sidewalk to regain a better visual on the Loki doppelganger.

Carefully tailing the doppelganger took several minutes for either Clint or Natasha to get a good look at him from the front.

Despite the hair and physical similarities, it wasn’t Loki.

Clint’s shoulders sagged in relief at the sight.

“Are we clear?” Natasha supportively asked as she rejoined him with a discerning eye for his expression and body language.

“We’re clear,” Clint said with a nod before making a small rueful sound. “Probably should reach out to Dr. Katz again for a session, but I’m not actively panicking, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“Just shaken.”

He sighed and gave another nod. “Yeah, wasn’t expecting that strong a reaction. But I’m good as I can be for now.” He adopted a small, bittersweet smile. “Promise.”

Natasha watched him for a second before replying. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“Right now I really want to try that éclair.”

She turned with him in the direction of the bakery, refraining from a comment on his redirect. “Hopefully it’s worth the excitement.”

--

While Clint showed off their choice of decorations to Darcy upon their return to the Tower, Natasha immediately reached out to Thor.

He greeted her with an open smile in the living room area of his floor, well-held curiosity in his eyes even as he invited her to take a seat on one of his couches. “What did you wish to discuss?”

She waited until she had settled before looking him dead in the eye. “Is it at all possible for Loki to escape Asgard?”

Thor blinked before forming his response. “To my knowledge none have ever broken the wards currently placed on him to subdue his magic, and without that he is too closely guarded to escape.” He suspiciously furrowed his brow. “Why do you ask?”

“Clint saw someone that resembled him at a distance and panicked. We got a closer look to see that it wasn’t actually Loki, but it also seems remotely possible that on the off chance it was somehow him, he could have disguised his face.”

“If he had access to his magic, it would be a simple illusion,” Thor agreed, his tone almost somber. “Yet I can reassure that Loki is fully accounted for. Were that to change, my mother would be certain to contact me immediately so that we would know.”

Natasha let a moment of silence pass before slightly cocking her head to the side and asking, “If he were to hypothetically escape, how likely do you think he would be to try to antagonize Clint?”

“Ah.” Thor thoughtfully frowned. “I am not certain. I can imagine Loki avoiding Midgard altogether, but I could also see him trying to enact retribution on the Avengers for his defeat. And there is certainly a connection to Clint.” He held a pause of his own. “How affected does Clint seem by the reminder of Loki, if I may ask?”

She briefly hesitated, carefully selecting her words. “Today brought back some complicated feelings, but he’s managing well.”

Optimistically speaking. She did have her own concerns after his earlier deflecting.

Her response at least elicited a relieved smile from Thor. “That is good to hear.”

Natasha shifted the conversation to talk about something more than Loki and ended up learning of Thor’s growing interest in whales before politely excusing herself as Clint texted her asking if she wanted to help him make dinner.

He was cutting a green pepper when she stepped into his kitchen, prompting Clint to glance up and smile at her. “Hey, can you grab the carrots and chop those? Just in slices and the other cutting board’s on the dishrack.”

“Am I putting them into the pan or a bowl after?” she asked while retrieving a knife.

“Uh, probably a bowl.” He held up a hand. “One sec.”

Once Natasha was set up beside him, they prepped their respective ingredients in relative silence for several long moments before she fixed him with a side look and asked, “Are you looking to talk or to be distracted?”

“Little bit of both.” Clint scraped the last of the pepper into a bowl. “More just wanting to be around you honestly.”

“Clint-.”

He set his knife down and turned to face her with a deep inhale. “The possibility of it being Loki got to me so much because I am so damn happy with you and finally being together. I’m terrified of losing us, and I know that’s exactly what he’d go after if he comes back and wants to deal with me.”

“Clint,” she gently repeated while putting her own knife aside and reaching to hold his face, intensely looking him in the eyes. “He could try, but I’m not letting go of you either. No matter what.”

“Aww, Nat.” Clint couldn’t help a small sniffle. “I really, really love you.”

She smiled and leaned into a short kiss. “I know.”

Notes:

Can't ring in a new year without at least a bright note for Clint and Natasha ;)

Chapter 45

Notes:

I keep on telling myself I don't have to explain every posting delay, but in this case I feel like I have to make a video game recommendation if anyone is looking for something new since Horizon Zero Dawn has unironically taken over my life right now. Just be warned that it's very easy to get immersed in, lol.

Chapter Text

True to Clint’s vision, the gold decorations shimmered from the lights in the lounge, the effect only improving as the evening went on.

He couldn’t refrain from a proud smile as Darcy politely forced Jane and Thor into taking photos with her in front of the decorations once they really started glittering against the sunset.

“Knew I was onto something,” he whispered as he settled down beside Natasha on the couch after grabbing a second plateful of snacks.

She stole a pretzel bite without fully looking over. “You do have good taste.”

Clint held the plate over to her. “Should I grab a few more?”

“I’ll just take half of yours.”

“Oh, I see how it is,” Clint affectionately teased.

Natasha unapologetically snagged another pretzel bite while casting him an almost smug side look. “Thank you for your cooperation.”

He feigned dramatic hurt before Darcy called their names and waved her phone once they looked over.

“Group picture for all present Avengers?” She paused before adding, “Promise it’s for our eyes only.”

After a moment of shared hesitation, Clint shrugged and started to stand while pulling out his phone. “Here, use mine.”

Bruce and Steve had positioned themselves on one side of Thor, prompting Clint and Natasha to balance the arrangement on the other side.

If Darcy’s smile at them was anything to go off of as she gave a few posing directions for a better photo, Clint guessed she was reading as much as she could into his proximity to Natasha, with Jane appearing to be similarly analyzing them from the side.

He’d be one of the first to admit he hadn’t expected the scientists to be among the most determined to figure them out, but could at least appreciate the effort behind their observations.

Before Natasha could quite show whether she had also noticed the attention, Steve’s phone loudly went off in a snippet of “Star Spangled Man” from his pocket.

“Goddammit,” he complained even as his cheeks flushed pink, the force of the swear earning faintly amused side looks from everyone else. “Sorry, Tony keeps on giving me a ringtone.”

“Is it an emergency?” Bruce asked, his forehead creased in the beginnings of concern as he also reached for his phone.

“He’s calling.” Steve took a few steps away while answering. “Tony? … We’re all here, do you- … okay, we’ll be watching.” He covered the end of the phone and turned back. “He says there’s a special about the Avengers and the attack on NY1, doesn’t sound like there’s any details outside of public knowledge but he thinks we should watch just in case.”

Natasha nodded and instinctively glanced up to the ceiling. “JARVIS? Can you pull up NY1?”

“Right away.”

They all settled back onto the couches, Natasha discreetly snagging one more pretzel bite as Darcy returned Clint’s phone.

The special was mostly focused on the event of the Chitauri attack, laying out some of the public perspective from the world and impacted New Yorkers before introducing a segment on the Avengers.

“In the city’s hour of need, real life super heroes mysteriously arose in the team we now know as the Avengers,” the narrator dramatically said over cell phone footage featuring views of Stark Tower during the midst of the attack. “A group with the ability to fearlessly face off against the alien invaders, they were essential to keeping Manhattan from being utterly destroyed.”

“These sentiments could better be expressed in a song to commemorate the battle,” Thor commented with a little frown as the narrator started to give a brief history of Iron Man.

Jane only half succeeded in covering her laugh with one hand and supportively patted Thor’s forearm with the other. “Unfortunately they don’t really do songs about historical events for the news here.”

“That is disappointing,” Thor somberly said before focusing back on the special.

“-legend Captain America,” the narrator continued over archival footage of Steve with the Howling Commandos. “Little is known about how he reappeared after vanishing seventy years ago,” the footage switched into varying qualities of clips of Steve fighting with the Chitauri, “but Captain Rogers continues to fight for freedom for us all.”

Clint looked at Steve with a half grin. “They really want you reciting the national anthem, don’t they?”

“Something like that,” Steve replied, his expression and voice layered in dry amusement.

Bruce almost added a comment before the jump to a distanced shot of Hulk leaping between buildings snapped his attention wholly back to the special.

“Once feared from his own attack on the city, this hulking green giant showed a side that fights for the people in the Battle of New York.”

Low enough for only Clint to hear, Natasha wryly murmured, “This sounds less like praises and more like they need a new scriptwriter.”

He barely suppressed a snort. “No kidding.”

Thor’s segment was similarly vague, drawing a quick connection to Norse mythology without trying to be conclusive and mostly relying on action shots from a distance for footage.

“This is certainly a different form of acknowledgement,” he almost cryptically remarked at the end of the segment.

“But hey, being a mystery has its advantages,” Clint said without looking away from the special. “You never- hold on.”

Natasha tensed beside him as the narrator led into “an NY1 exclusive reveal” with a low quality clip of several Chitauri collapsing after being struck with arrows and a second blurry clip of Clint aiming from a rooftop position, the footage taken at a clearly significant distance such that he was a relatively tiny figure.

“While nothing is known specifically about the Avengers’ bowman-.”

“Well that’s presumptuous even though they’re not wrong,” Darcy muttered even as she immediately watched Clint’s reaction, his mouth set in a line.

“-we express our thanks to yet another individual with the courage to face a threat unlike any the world had previously seen.”

Steve blew out a relieved breath as the special moved on to a closing note on the Avengers. “It doesn’t seem like they have an idea of your identity at least.”

“Still isn’t the most comforting thing for them to have,” Clint tightly said as he exchanged a quick uneasy look with Natasha.

She had already started composing a message to Fury and Maria. “It’ll be a priority investigation.”

Bruce nervously swallowed as he glanced between them. “How concerning would you say this is?”

“Nothing to panic over from what we saw,” Clint reassured with a forcefully casual shrug, the set of his jaw subtly betraying his discomfort. “It’s not like it’s unreasonable for someone to have filmed something and share it, just still a… surprise to see shown to the world.”

“Mr. Stark is calling,” JARVIS chimed in from above before patching him in over the speakers.

Clint kept from giving a small sigh before raising his voice. “Hey Tony-.”

“Okay, my old friend that gave me some advance notice about the special did not mention anything about having something on you, that was a complete surprise,” he quickly said. “And I think I can pull a few strings to dig a little without raising too much suspicion if you want, see what more they may or may not have.”

“Don’t do that unless if we specifically ask you,” Natasha firmly said without looking up from her phone. “There’ll be a lot of eyes for this story, we don’t need to feed the sharks.”

“Stark Industries and Mr. Stark are already receiving an influx of phone calls from reporters,” JARVIS interjected.

In the background on Tony’s end, Pepper called, “So you know, I’m working with HR on an update to the SI script to give reporters for all Avengers related inquiries!”

After a brief pause, Jane tentatively ventured, “At least if NY1 had more to show or say about Clint, they probably would have already revealed it there.”

He nodded. “We’re not going to learn much more tonight, what’s out there is already out there, we don’t need to let this ruin the evening.” Clint adopted a smile, a note of strain just pulling at the edges as he reached for his half-filled drink and gestured with it to the screen. “And hey, we’re being mostly appreciated, let’s enjoy that feeling for a bit.”

Natasha angled her phone so that he could see that she had sent the message to Fury and Maria before tucking it away.

“Yes,” Thor brightly said even as he cast Clint a careful look. “We should celebrate.”

Tony waited a moment before asking, “So we’re good for now?”

“We’re good, just enjoy your evening,” Clint said with a dismissive wave of his hand despite knowing Tony wouldn’t see it. “Take it easy.”

“We’re great at that over here.”

Tony signed off, leaving everyone at the Tower to spend the rest of the evening per their original plans.

Through watching the lead up into the Times Square ball drop, they discovered that Darcy had far and above the most knowledge of various celebrities who were in attendance as she mostly answered Thor and Steve’s questions about the various musicians and actors.

“I’m feeling old with all these unfamiliar names,” Clint wryly murmured as he leaned over to read Natasha’s back and forth with Maria about starting to investigate the NY1 footage source.

“You just listen to old music,” Natasha quietly teased back as she nudged his nearest foot with hers. “I need to force you to change your radio station.”

“Hey, they’re classics for a reason.”

She halfway smirked at him. “We’ll work on it.”

After watching the ball drop, they didn’t wait long before excusing themselves, Clint waiting to leave the lounge an extra few minutes after Natasha for the sake of appearances.

“Thor and Jane reminded me about something we need to do,” he called as he entered her floor.

“What’s that?” Natasha asked as she stepped out of the bedroom and casually leaned on the doorframe.

He wasn’t really that surprised that she had stolen one of his t-shirts to sleep in and already changed into it as he met her in her bedroom, but couldn’t help a grin as he looked her over. “Midnight kiss. Better late than never, right?”

“Ah.” She smiled back and pushed off the doorframe to meet him in a soft kiss before resting her hands against his chest as he hugged her around the waist. “Happy new year, Clint.”

“Happy new year,” he contently echoed.

She waited a moment to see if he continued before letting her smile fall into serious regard. “It’s not worth losing too much sleep over.”

“I know,” he sighed with a self-conscious glance down. “Just keep on thinking about who’s capable of connecting the dots between the mystery Avenger with a bow and that guy who fought them with a bow that one time. And it’s not a stretch to figure out to find me here if they were paying attention to the name change.”

Natasha tipped his chin back up to directly look at her. “You sound like you’re really thinking of a particular ghost.”

He rubbed at his neck, just brushing along the scar above his right clavicle. “Mm, I assume some people who want me dead can still pay the right people pretty well.”

“But you do have Scarlotti on your mind,” she gently stated while reaching for his hand, her gaze searchingly locked to his after a quick glance at the scar.

Clint suppressed a shiver. “I’m thinking about too many ghosts lately.” Before she could reply he broke into an involuntary yawn and shook his head in an attempt to perk up. “But like you said, they’re not worth losing sleep over.”

“You sure you can manage that?” Natasha asked while giving his hand a supportive squeeze.

He shrugged, trying to keep it as nonchalant a motion as he could. “I feel like I’m setting myself up for success by joining you.”

“Ever the romantic,” she said while starting towards the bed, a smile just pulling at one corner of her mouth. “I also stole a pair of your sweats if you want to change into those.”

Clint blinked for a moment before chuckling. “I really love you.”

Chapter 46

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

To Clint and Natasha’s shared genuine surprise, he slept uninterrupted by any nightmares.

As much as it was a relief, it didn’t keep him from anxiously checking for any updates on the investigation almost as soon as he woke up.

He knew there were was almost no way any definitive answers had appeared in the hours since, but he was still mildly disappointed to see that Maria’s last update was just that she had assigned several agents onto the investigation.

As he unconsciously gave a frustrated sigh, Natasha turned around from where she stood in the closet doorway, having just pulled on a pair of jeans. “You’ll be relieved to hear I didn’t have to fight off any would-be assassins while you were sleeping,” she wryly remarked even as mild concern lined her expression.

Clint moodily chuckled and set his phone back down. “Maybe tonight.”

She slightly narrowed her eyes as he shifted to sit up. “Clint. We have no reason to think anyone has made you yet.” She walked over and reached to hold his face, her gaze intense as they locked eyes. “Don’t do this to yourself.”

He heavily swallowed. “I’ll be fine, I know I’m just letting myself go around in circles with worrying more than I should.” He added a bittersweet smile. “I’m sure getting breakfast will help, whatever Thor’s got planned down there.”

“I heard lingonberries are involved.” After a moment’s hesitation she gently added, “I wasn’t expecting you to be this shaken.”

“Didn’t think the spotlight would get this close this fast,” he sighed, letting his shoulders fall. “I mean, fuck, Nat, we’re spies, not celebrities. What’re we doing here?”

She slowly ran her thumbs along his cheekbones. “Trying to do better.”

Clint blew out a breath. “Hero’s a big word to live up to now.”

“I know,” she quietly said.

They searchingly stared at the other for a long moment before he reached up for her hands. “You okay?”

“We’ll be fine.” Natasha let him prompt her hands down so he could lace his fingers through hers before she teasingly arched a brow. “Are you planning on wearing yesterday’s clothes to breakfast? Someone will notice and have questions.”

“I’m gonna go grab new clothes, helps so we can show up at different times too,” he said after amusedly shaking his head, a smile instantly back on his face. “Question is whether you want me to leave the sweats.”

A corner of her mouth almost imperceptibly pulling up in a smirk was all the proof he needed that she knew exactly what she was doing as she made a small point of looking down at him wearing the sweats before returning her focus to his face. “I can always grab them back later.”

“Am I wearing them before you take them?” he coyly asked while leaning in closer to her.

Natasha prompted a brief kiss and only pulled away by inches before whispering, “You’ll just have to be patient.”

He suppressed a shiver. “Oh it is on.”

She let go of his hands and started walking backwards to the bedroom door as her smirk rose to the surface. “I’ll save you a seat at breakfast.”

“Thanks sweetheart.” He unapologetically grinned and shrugged both shoulders as she paused mid-step, her breath ever so slightly catching on an exhale. “Talk to you later.”

She quickly regained her full composure and continued making her exit. “Don’t be late.”

Clint waited for Natasha to make it out of the room before he got up to regather his clothes and hurried back to his floor to change into fresh clothes.

When he reached the communal dining room, Steve was just finishing with setting out plates and silverware while Natasha chatted with Darcy and Bruce.

“We are almost ready!” Thor informed as he entered through the doorway with his hands full of food-laden dishes, Jane leading with a carefully balanced armful of small jars.

Steve took a step in the direction of the kitchen. “How much more is there to grab?”

“Just a serving platter and another bowl,” Jane said over her shoulder as she unloaded her jars onto the table. “And some utensils to dish up with.” As Steve nodded and continued towards the kitchen she added a quick, “Thank you!”

“So what’re the options here?” Clint brightly asked as he came over to take the seat beside Natasha.

“These are raggmunk,” Thor started to explain as he set a plate down in the middle of the table. “This has skillingsboller and rundstykker and the jams are lingonberry, gooseberry, blackberry…”

With the final addition of the salmon and herring Steve brought in and Thor’s continued explanation that he had tried his best to recreate the various dishes as best he could manage with Midgardian ingredients and a little research.

Regardless of the technical inaccuracies from the traditional Asgardian recipes, everyone happily started on the food and genuinely complimented Thor on his baking (for which he made sure to emphasize he shared the credit with Jane).

In a stroke of good timing, JARVIS interrupted as they all had mostly finished eating. “Excuse me, but there appears to be a developing major incident nearby, with several masked assailants reportedly seizing control of Grand Central Terminal and taking hostages.”

Natasha frowned and started to push back her chair, the other Avengers following suit after quick glances at each other. “Anything more specific yet?” she asked JARVIS.

“I’m finding social media posts and listening to emergency channels. I will provide any significant updates as soon as I can.”

Bruce made an uncertain sound and hung back a step. “I could help with that, this sounds… not like a good fit for the Other Guy.”

“Keeping Hulk in reserve might still be handy when we get a better idea what we’re working with,” Clint said after exchanging a communicative side look with Natasha as they hurried towards the elevator.

“We’ll go suit up,” Steve started to say with a gesture towards Clint and Natasha before focusing on Bruce, “while you start checking intel-.”

“We can help with that too!” Darcy called over.

Steve nodded in her direction. “Whatever you’re comfortable with.” He angled towards Thor as the elevator doors opened almost immediately, no doubt thanks to JARVIS. “Can you get on a comm and get out there first, don’t engage yet but at least get close?”

“Right away.”

While Natasha hurriedly pressed the inputs for everyone’s respective destinations in the elevator, Steve quietly commented, “If you’d feel too exposed coming down there, we’d understand.”

“We can cover our faces without any trouble,” Clint replied. “Don’t worry about us.”

“I’m suggesting we access Grand Central from the Tower’s parking garage roof, keep off the street as the authorities roll in,” Natasha said before Steve could continue, her tone brooking no argument. “Meet you there?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Clint waited until Steve had stepped off the elevator before murmuring, “I’m thinking my filtration mask, pretty sure I’ve got an extra if you need it.”

“I’ve got a photostatic veil on hand and programmed that I was planning on.” Natasha went silent for a moment and cast him a soft look. “We know there may be more footage out of this.”

“I feel better by not directly showing our faces, and I don’t have it in me to sit this out.” He moved towards the doors as the elevator slowed down towards his floor. “Working on earning that hero name I guess.”

She grabbed his hand for a moment and gave it a supportive squeeze before letting go as the elevator opened onto his floor. “I’m glad we’re in this together.”

“I couldn’t be here without you,” he told her with a meaningful look before hurrying towards his bedroom.

As they rushed to switch into their tactical suits and gear up, JARVIS provided what updates he could on the situation and continued as they made their way to the roof of the parking garage.

The terminal had successfully been overtaken with several hundred people inside as hostages, with the Graybar Building and the Grand Hyatt seemingly ignored aside from guards located down their access passages. According to their demands, the so-called “Crimson Skulls” wanted several million dollars as a ransom from the city for everyone’s safe release, with a threat in place to start killing hostages if payment was delayed longer than within the hour. Additionally, NYPD units had formed a partial perimeter around the terminal and were in the process of gathering any possible intel on the situation from outside.

To Clint and Natasha’s mild surprise, they found Bruce hovering by the exterior door to the roof access and anxiously fiddling with his hands.

“Changed my mind for what might be a good way to help,” he explained as they drew closer, his attention briefly shifting to focus on the different face Natasha was quite literally wearing. “And with Darcy and Jane helping JARVIS I felt redundant for helping to just sort through incoming information, figured I could try getting a little closer and helping that way.”

Natasha directly caught Bruce’s gaze. “It could be difficult to avoid some extra attention.”

“Yeah,” he sighed while adjusting his glasses and slightly nodding. “Yeah. But I’ve known it’s only a matter of time.”

“That’s going around,” Clint muttered beneath his breath.

Steve joined them by the door with a slightly questioning look at Bruce. “Are we all good to go?”

Bruce repeated his nod, his voice more confident. “We’re good.”

Once on the terminal’s roof, Clint identified a section under repair as their ideal access point and opted to go in first.

“Thor,” Natasha asked as she followed a step behind Clint, “have you gotten visual on anyone?”

“I believe they have gathered the hostages into the main concourse.”

“Looking like maybe some in Vanderbilt Hall too,” Darcy informed over the comms. “JARVIS is working on a number for Crimson Skulls present, but there’s not a lot of social posts to go off of from inside.”

“I currently estimate there are twelve Crimson Skulls.”

“Lemme guess, security cameras aren’t on a remotely hackable system?” Clint quietly asked JARVIS as he paused at the top of a maintenance ladder into a hallway below.

“It does not appear so.”

Clint shrugged as he started to move again. “Worth a shot.”

Natasha waited for him to signal that the hallway was clear before following down the ladder. “Around twelve shouldn’t be bad.”

Over the comms, Bruce made a bemused sound. “How many times have you done something like this?”

“You’d be surprised,” she lightly said while coming even with Clint.

He couldn’t resist a small smirk in her direction, visible in his eyes above his mask, at the comment before asking, “JARVIS, can you get any blueprints? Wouldn’t mind still getting into security if it’s not too far out of our way.”

“I will work on that.”

Steve dropped down behind them and preemptively drew his shield. “Do we have any guesses for how many hostages?”

“Er, working on that too, Jane and JARVIS are talking math,” Darcy said. “Will let you know when we have something worth saying.”

Bruce cleared his throat as he came down the ladder. “I’ll stick back here for a bit, don’t feel like you need to wait for me.”

Natasha and Clint had already started stealthily making their way forward in near unison, Steve following behind with almost matching stealth before they came up on another hallway.

She angled her back to Clint’s and started to reach for a gun while checking around her corner.

“Clear,” they murmured at the same time.

“Are we splitting up?” Steve suggested.

“I can now direct you to the security office,” JARVIS chimed in.

Clint turned to look back at Natasha and Steve. “I can head there, you choose how you want to approach the main concourse or Vanderbilt, thin anyone out on the way?”

“Do you want me to remain outside?” Thor asked. “These NYPD officials are trying to get my attention.”

“Your call,” Steve said after both Natasha and Clint looked at him to communicate they didn’t entirely feel themselves to be in charge. “Everyone just call out anything important you see.”

JARVIS gave Clint directions through the building while Steve and Natasha respectively proceeded towards Vanderbilt Hall and the main concourse, the comms otherwise mostly silent until she reported that she had knocked out a lone Crimson Skull.

“From police chatter it sounds like they want to try and force through the Graybar and Hyatt tunnels while keeping up with negotiation as a distraction,” Darcy informed, her tone tight.

“How soon?” Clint asked with a small sigh.

“I think they still want to get a few more officers there.”

“Good news is we have a chance to spook the Skulls,” Natasha interjected. “They’re only communicating via phones and I borrowed this one.” Her voice brightened in dry amusement as she scrolled through the phone’s messages. “Conveniently no passcode and there’s a text thread going along with several recent calls, one to someone named ‘Boss’.”

Clint couldn’t help a soft snort. “Definitely sloppy.” He continued, shifting back to a serious tone. “They haven’t been trigger happy yet, I think we can afford to give them a call. Just give me a few seconds to get into security.”

“What would you say to them?” Steve asked, his voice hushed.

“We’ll see what happens,” Natasha replied over the sound of a grunt of effort from Clint, apparently needing to face someone in the security room. “Hawkeye, status update?”

Aside from another grunt he was silent for a long moment before responding, slightly out of breath. “Security’s clear, I’ve got eyes on cameras. Uh, let’s see… Widow, you should be good to call without interruption and I’ve got four Skulls in the concourse, three in Vanderbilt, a couple more scattered throughout besides the tunnels. One handling demands with the police.”

She dialed Boss while holding a thumbs up over her shoulder in hopeful view of a camera.

They answered after a full ring, a deep male voice layered with irritation. “I told you to ask Roberts if you needed something, this had better be-.”

“This is important,” Natasha said, a sharp edge in her tone. “This is the leader of the Crimson Skulls, I take it?”

Boss paused on the other end of the call for a moment.

“I’ve got eyes on the boss up in the concourse and he doesn’t look happy. Lots of frustrated gesturing to the others and pointing around,” Clint informed.

It tracked with the anger suddenly evident in Boss’ voice. “Who the hell is this?”

“Let’s talk.” Natasha kept her free hand hovering on the grip of her gun and eyed the end of the hallway nearest the main concourse while continuing forward. “Asking for a several million dollar ransom in less than an hour, that’s a steep demand when the city does have to go through the steps of bureaucracy, but you’re coordinated enough to take over the station. It’s honestly a fascinating discrepancy in preparation.” She derisively clicked her tongue. “And then your staff can’t even properly manage all the entry points…”

“Someone’s in the building, find them!” Boss faintly shouted before speaking directly back into the phone. “Whoever you are, you have no idea who the fuck you’re dealing with-.”

“Tell me a little more about the Crimson Skulls, I’m not familiar.”

“You’ve got one starting towards you as they’re fanning out,” Clint interjected.

She slightly angled the phone away while Boss started into a response that was half continued anger, half uncertainty in the face of her blasé responses. “Any way to cut the lights?” she asked Clint.

“Nothing on lights, but I can help Cap with Vanderbilt. I’ve got smoke.”

“Whenever you’re ready,” she murmured as she ducked into a small alcove at the sound of someone jogging in her direction.

“Thor and I are heading further in,” Bruce added.

Boss had not stopped talking through the side exchange. “You think you can scare me? I won’t hesitate to drop you where you stand!”

Natasha rolled her eyes while aiming a Bite around the corner of the alcove towards the chest of the advancing Skull. “Big words from someone who hasn’t left the concourse,” she commented to Boss. “It certainly doesn’t seem like an act of confidence in your fellow Skulls.”

“Uh, guys?” Darcy interrupted. “Sounding like they’re putting up snipers on nearby roofs. Is that something you’re worried about?”

Clint reunited with Steve just as the latter took down another patrolling Skull. “Just let us know if they’re going to push the tunnels.”

“I can provide a distraction if needed,” Thor somberly said.

“I don’t know if – shit!” Darcy’s voice rose in panic. “They gave the order to force through!”

“We’re moving too,” Steve tensely informed while Clint loosed a smoke screen arrow ahead of their arrival into Vanderbilt.

Natasha broke into a run just as someone as a cry of alarm arose from inside the hall, hoping it was merely in response to Clint and Steve’s arrival rather than a sudden shift in behavior towards the hostages.

There was one more Skull in her way before reaching the concourse, easily brought down with a knee jerked into their groin and a simultaneous heavy hit to the chest.

Boss was easily identified by having grabbed a teenage girl as a human shield and whirled both of them to face Natasha as she entered. “Stay back!” Boss called while shakily angling a handgun between her and the girl, ignoring the panicked shriek she broke into. “I’m adding another five hundred thousand just for this!”

Natasha took a confident step forward while holding her hands away from her guns. “You’re welcome to add it to your demands, but there’s no need to hurt her or anyone else. Don’t make this any worse.”

“Who the hell are you?”

“We’re right beside Avengers Tower,” Natasha drily said, accordingly earning a shocked look from Boss and surprised murmurs from the crowd of hostages.

Boss’ expression hardened with resolve, mostly covering a nervous layer. “Make that another million! There’s still Stark money around.”

“Let her go,” Natasha nodded towards the girl, “and we can talk.”

They all looked over as a Skull came breathlessly running into the concourse. “Hey, we’ve got problems, there’s-!”

“Take her down!” Boss yelled at the same time with a gesture at Natasha.

She fired a Bite at the other Skull, apparently prompting several hostages to all leap up and swarm Boss to pull the girl to safety and knock his gun away before tentatively restraining him.

“We’ve got him!” one of the hostages pronounced as Natasha hurried to check Boss for any other weapons, removing another gun before securing his wrists and ankles with cord lengths from a belt pouch.

“Vanderbilt’s clear of active Skulls,” Clint informed over the comms. “How’re we looking with everything else?”

Natasha gave her knots another appraising look before rising to her feet with a nod at the former hostages who were standing guard over Boss. “I’ve got the leader restrained, keeping an eye out for any incoming stragglers.”

“I’m heading up and out then,” Clint said, keeping his voice low.

“Widow, do you want to slip away?” Steve asked after a moment. “I can handle the police.”

“I would appreciate it.” Natasha glanced up as Thor flew into the main concourse and headed to join her.

“I can remain as well,” he offered.

She nodded towards Boss. “Make sure they know he was in charge.”

It took a little speed walking and declining several selfie requests for Clint and Natasha to effectively sneak back to the upper floor and towards the construction access ahead of the police, meeting Bruce by the maintenance ladder before cautiously proceeding back onto the roof after JARVIS reported that the snipers had been called back.

Satisfied that they weren’t about to be caught off guard, Clint stretched his arms as they walked to head back into the Tower. “I thought they were going to put up a little more of a fight considering they locked down the whole terminal.”

Bruce broke into a little hum of agreement. “I think we owe how smoothly that went to your experience.”

“And something was off with them,” Natasha said with a suspicious frown. “They have the ability to seamlessly take the station, but their ransom request was nearly completely impossible within the hour. It feels more like they wanted to make a statement.”

“Or to prove themselves?” Clint asked as they crossed back into the Tower, prompting him to remove his filtration mask and cast her a thoughtful look. “What are you thinking?”

She slipped off the photostatic veil and ran a hand through her hair to resmooth it while replying. “I don’t want to draw any premature conclusions.”

“But?”

“It could’ve been a test.”

“For them or for us?” Bruce asked with a frown of his own.

“Exactly.” Natasha paused for a moment to slightly shrug. “We’ll keep an eye on it.”

Bruce nervously adjusted his glasses. “Are you worried about anything in particular from this?”

“As long as Steve and Thor don’t run into too much resistance and nothing interrupts the rest of our day, probably not.” Clint went for a full shoulder shrug. “Whether this was because of us or not, we’re proving the Avengers aren’t going anywhere.”

Notes:

On a technical note all those food names are real and just pulled from the various Nordic languages and food traditions since I do not have the time for working out an Asgardian language, lol.

And next chapter we do get some more smut after a little plot ;)

Chapter 47

Notes:

Feelings and smut ahead! :)

Chapter Text

Clint dramatically sighed and tipped his head against the back of the couch as he practically collapsed onto it. “What a day.”

“Fury called while you were talking with Hill,” Natasha commented as she shifted closer to him, her tone completely casual.

“Yeah?” he cautiously asked. “Good news or bad news?”

“Nothing unexpected.” She reached to rest her hand on his far shoulder and gently started to prompt him to lay his head in her lap as he practically melted into the touch. “Long story short the NY1 footage is making the WSC antsy and they’re still trying to stick part of the blame on Fury for not trying to stop us or the Avengers as a whole from operating independently.”

Clint hummed in acknowledgement before he turned his head to look up at her and quizzically raised a brow. “He really called just to tell you how his meeting went?”

“There were a few things to discuss.” Natasha almost absentmindedly rubbed his shoulder. “One point being a strong recommendation that we get new tac suits.”

“Did it sound like completely on our own or are our traditional resources still on the table?”

“We’re not in exile.” She paused for a moment and started to run her fingers through his hair, gently massaging his scalp. “I’m surprisingly thinking of involving Tony in the design though.”

Clint made an interested sound as he turned his head back to the side in her lap. “For the dream stealth suit idea?”

“He might be able to pull it off.”

“I hope so.” Clint reached to hold her hand on his shoulder and briefly closed his eyes. “Anything else important from Fury?”

Natasha hesitated for a half second before she spoke. “We talked about my frank opinions on developments with the team and how you’ve been doing.”

“Mmm.” He blew out a breath. “Probably not too different from Hill’s questions for me.”

After waiting a beat to see if he would independently continue, Natasha asked, “How did that conversation go?”

Dry amusement colored his exhale. “Uh, well, she opened with a strong ‘Barton, what the hell?’ but she was definitely glad for the heads up about my public appearance despite being frustrated with the timing. And she pointedly reminded that a mask only does so much when I’m the guy with the bow and arrows.” He partially rolled his shoulder in a shrug. “It was the good kind of annoyed lecture though.”

A smile almost imperceptibly pulled at the corner of Natasha’s mouth. “It’s been a while for one of those.”

“No kidding,” Clint lightly said before sobering his tone. “She also had an update to give on the investigation, sounds like the agents got a name for the source and are closing in.”

Natasha brushed her fingers down the back of his neck. “How’re you feeling about that?”

He shivered at the touch. “Unless if it’s actually a surprise outside of a civilian holding onto it for a scoop, I don’t think the source actually makes that much of a difference to me at this point. And I’m still comfortable saying I’ll be fine.” As he finished he angled his head back to look back up at her, letting go of her hand as he shifted. “I just feel like I need to do something nice in apology for contributing to a mess for Hill and Fury.”

“I might have a few ideas.” She arched a brow in question. “Do you want to talk about anything else?”

“Nah.” Clint pushed himself back up into a sitting position and angled towards Natasha as he settled beside her. “I was wondering if you’re tired though.”

“Not really.” She leaned in closer as he glanced at her lips. “You did say we were going to talk later...”

He started to knowingly smile while also leaning in. “I was wondering if you were interested in a distraction.”

“Depends on what you’re thinking,” she coyly murmured before meeting him in a soft kiss.

He couldn’t help but grin when she pulled back to take a breath. “Seems to me like we’re already on the same page.”

“Something like that.” Natasha moved to straddle his hips and pulled him forward into another kiss, eliciting a small sound of contentment from Clint as he wrapped his arms around her.

“Really quick,” he whispered out of the kiss with a faint smirk, “we’re good without involving the sweats, right?”

She affectionately rolled her eyes. “We’re good.”

He didn’t reply before he hugged her closer into an increasingly intensive kiss, only to break into a breathy moan as she rocked her hips against his.

“Tasha…,” he exhaled as he shifted his hands to just slip under the edge of her shirt, pausing there in an unspoken question.

She reached down to prompt him to start pulling her shirt off without initially breaking the kiss before she arched back and lifted her arms as he slipped the shirt off over her head and flung it aside.

Clint’s eyes lit up at the sight of the perfectly fitted, lacey purple bra Natasha had on underneath. “Good choice.”

She confidently smiled as she looped her arms around his neck. “Thought you might like it.”

“We both have very good taste,” he murmured as he set his hands on her thighs and leaned in to start to press kisses along the side of her neck, starting featherlight just under her jaw.

“Don’t leave any marks,” she warned even as she happily sighed into the contact and helpfully tipped her head up while pressing herself closer to him.

On impulse he ever so lightly scraped her skin with his teeth before he teasingly asked, “You sure?”

Despite the soft sound she made, her voice hardened. “I mean it, Clint.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he breathed out in between kisses, amusement lining his voice.

As he slowly worked his way down towards the space between her clavicles, Natasha worked one hand back into his hair and held the back of his neck with the other.

After Clint elicited an involuntary shiver when his kisses lingered over her pulse, she purposefully shifted on his lap and let out a little huff. “Are you teasing or actually trying to get somewhere?”

He lifted his head back to look her in the eyes, failing to keep from a smile as he tried to look serious. “Hey, you know I never miss the mark. Trust the process.” He moved his hands to her hips as his smile widened. “And for someone who’s normally so damn good at being patient, you’re-.”

“I don’t want to take it slow tonight,” Natasha firmly interrupted, her gaze intense enough to make Clint’s heartbeat speed up under her focused attention.

“I hear you.” Without breaking eye contact he slowly started to undo the front of her jeans. “This okay?”

“Mmhmm.” She kept her hand on the back of his neck and reached back with her other to undo the clasp of her bra. “I wouldn’t mind getting some of your clothes off too though.”

Clint immediately leaned back while tugging his shirt off over his head and flung it in the same direction as Natasha’s while she simultaneously worked off and tossed aside her bra.

His gaze fell to her breasts as she again looped her arms around his neck and canted her hips forward, both actions leaving him temporarily speechless.

He opted to prompt another kiss in lieu of words and caressed her breasts, certain to use his callused fingertips to tease at her nipples.

There was no feeling quite like the thrill he got from knowing he could make her break into a little moan just with his touch, that Natasha trusted him so intimately to completely let her guard down.

As he continued his ministrations, she slowly ran her hands down his chest until they both gasped out of an increasingly passionate kiss.

“Clint…,” Natasha whispered as she gently tugged at his waistband.

“Condoms are in the bedroom,” he huskily said after a swallow, “but I’ve got something I wanna try right here if that’s okay with you.”

She bit at her lower lip. “I’m game.”

In a joint act of athleticism, they worked her jeans off without Natasha having to completely move off his lap, her bra-matching panty also coming off after Clint took a moment to again admire her taste in lingerie.

“How long have you had a purple set anyways?” he couldn’t resist asking as he prompted her to slightly sit up while straddling his lap.

“A while.” She set her hands on his shoulders while leaning in against him with an affectionate smile before sultrily dropping her voice. “You may or may not have been on my mind while I was shopping.”

“That’s so fucking hot, Tasha,” he murmured as he stuck his left hand between her legs to stroke at her clit, his attention otherwise focused on her reaction.

Her eyes fluttered shut for a moment as she breathed out a mixed sound of need and relief and ground down against his hand. “I like where this is headed.”

“Trust the process,” Clint almost teasingly repeated.

He quickly earned another moan from Natasha and, conscious of their already kiss-swollen lips, opted to continue mouthing down her neck.

Her breath caught as he neared the hollow between her clavicles and simultaneously slid a finger up into her, keeping his thumb on her clit in a slow circle.

“Oh fuck, stay there,” she pleasurably sighed. “Just don’t slow down.”

“Whatever you want, sweetheart,” Clint promised in a murmur, loving the way she held him tighter at the endearment.

He knew he was only getting better at figuring the best ways to bring her to orgasm but still took a moment of pride in the needy sounds he drew from her, the way her body tensed as he brought her closer to the brink with his touch and praises.

It also certainly didn’t hurt to make her sharply inhale with the simple act of adding another finger and crooking them just so inside her.

“Shit, right there!” she groaned as she tossed her head back with what might have been a little whimper and bucked her hips. “Clint, don’t stop. Don’t stop.”

“Not gonna stop until you come,” he reassured, his voice low. “I’ve got you.”

He steadied her with his free hand at the small of her back as he could tell she was nearing the edge, her eyes glazed over in ecstasy as her breathing devolved into pants and her skin flushed pink in a combination of exertion and building anticipation.

“Almost there,” he crooned as her body shook, “you’re so close Tasha, all you’ve gotta do is let go-.”

She came undone with a cry of his name, clenching around his fingers and sending a heart pounding rush of emotional satisfaction through him.

They both knew what it meant to each other to let themselves lose control, that they could be so vulnerable with each other after lives full of caution and guarded edges and know with full certainty that the other would be holding them up on the other side.

And goddamn, Natasha was so beautiful to behold as her orgasm took hold before she finally collapsed against him.

“I love you,” she mumbled into his shoulder. “Thank you.”

Clint chuckled and carefully started to withdraw his hand from between her legs. “My pleasure.” After a moment he raised the hand on her back to idly comb his fingers through her hair. “You thinking of growing this out again?”

“I’m debating what I want.” She lifted her head and angled to press a brief kiss to the base of his throat, lingering for a moment after so he shivered at the feeling of her exhale across his skin. “But I do know I want to make you come too tonight.”

He was always impressed at how quickly and effectively she could change a topic.

“You wanna stay here or move to the bed?” he asked, unable to quite keep his voice entirely steady as Natasha went for an open-mouthed kiss on the side of his neck before she shifted to whisper in his ear.

“Do you want to come inside me?”

“That’d be nice,” he murmured back.

She leaned back to look him in the eyes with a small frown, amusement otherwise faintly lining her features as she feigned hurt. “Only nice?”

“Shit,” he lightheartedly complained after slightly cringing, “not just nice. Really good. Real- fuck, I just want to come in you.”

She smiled as she moved off of him. “Pants off by the time you reach the door, Barton.”

“On it.” He hurriedly followed after her towards the bedroom, only pausing to finish stripping down before he crossed the threshold.

Natasha comfortably settled on the bed while he grabbed a condom and stopped at the end of the bed to just look at her, his expression almost awestruck.

“You can’t fuck me from there,” she commented while enticingly spreading her legs.

“Just enjoying the view,” he chipperly replied as he tracked her movement before looking her in the face with a smile. “You seriously take my breath away all the time, Natasha.” He moved onto the bed and crawled up to and over her. “And I just want to appreciate you for a bit.”

She cradled his head in her hands and warmly smiled up at him. “Ever the romantic.”

They met in a long and tender kiss before Clint tilted her hips and positioned his cock to slip inside her, both of them letting out a soft moan of relief at the sensation.

For all the loving intensity in his expression, he held by his word for appreciating her first, slowly rocking his hips all the while as he again coaxed pleased sounds from Natasha, continuing to touch along her body and explore with his mouth.

She similarly felt along his back and sides, earning content sounds from Clint until he was almost gasping from the combined sensation of her roaming hands and the throb of his cock.

“Whenever you’re ready,” she supportively told him. “I’m not going anywhere.”

He cautiously picked up the pace of his hip movements into regular thrusts at her prompting, his breath starting to come ragged until he climaxed with a groan, cresting atop a wave of pleasure and only half catching the way Natasha broke into a satisfied moan as he pulsed inside her.

“That felt so good,” he breathlessly managed to say after several moments as he recollected himself. “Oh m’god, Tash.”

“I know.” She held the back of his neck as he looked up at her. “Anything else you’re in the mood for?”

“Well.” He slid out of her and crawled up to lay down beside her, both turning onto their sides to face each other as he idly traced a line down her waist to her hip. “Depends on what you want.”

She cast him a dazzling, affectionate smile and lightly bumped his knee with hers. “You’re making me soft, Clint.”

“I like us being soft.” He pulled her closer to cuddle and prompted a relaxed kiss before he brushed a loose section of her hair back behind her ear. “And Tasha… thank you.” His expression went completely vulnerable. “I know you don’t need me to say it, but you’re keeping me grounded and I’m so fucking grateful to have you in my life. You make me try to be a better man every day.”

Her smile and eyes softened as she wordlessly replied with another kiss before she managed out an emotional, “I love you too.”

Chapter 48

Notes:

To all you lovely readers, I promise we're still going strong on this, I just dream of returning to a more consistent uploading schedule, oops.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“C’mon Romanoff, now you’re just teasing me,” Tony lightheartedly complained from the other end of the call. “You’re offering a chance to mess with literal camouflage tech and I don’t even get some specs for it until I’m back?”

“Only once Pepper’s stabilized, you can occupy yourself with brainstorming in the meantime,” Natasha firmly said.

His tone sobered. “Speaking of, has Pep given you a recent update?”

“Dr. Hansen is undergoing the treatment this afternoon since she insisted on personally trying it before treating Pepper.” Natasha waited a moment to see if he would reply before she stated, “You’re nervous.”

Tony made an unconvincing dismissive sound. “Maya and I have accounted for everything we can think of that could go wrong in the models as we were developing. And physiologically they’re both already responding well to Extremis, so that’s encouraging.”

“But?” Natasha pressed.

After a long pause he quietly admitted, “I’m still worrying that we missed something and how badly this could go if we did.”

She resisted a sigh, fully conscious of how it could be interpreted as a response. “Are you looking for reassurance or just to express your concerns?” she sympathetically asked.

“You make feelings sound so clinical,” he complained, no real bite to his voice.

“And you’re deflecting,” she evenly replied. “Tony-.”

He responded almost immediately, his words coming out in a rush. “Sorry, I… appreciate that you’re concerned, and I haven’t really felt like I’ve been able to talk about this with Pepper since I don’t want to worry her. It’s nice to just be able to tell someone.”

“Listening is part of what friends are for.”

“Hold on, it feels like a very important moment that you definitely just said we were friends,” Tony brightly said.

Natasha rolled her eyes at the ceiling even as she couldn’t help a slight smile at the delight evident in his voice. “I wouldn’t still be here if we weren’t.” She continued without allowing him a moment to reply. “And let yourself relax, you and Dr. Hansen know what you’re doing with the science. I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

“You give some weird pep talks.”

She let out a marginally irritated sigh. “Tony-.”

“Sorry, deflecting.” He deeply inhaled. “Thank you, seriously, I…,” he trailed off for a beat before quietly adding, “you know.”

“Mmhmm.” She paused for a few seconds before she asked, “Anything else you need to get off your chest?”

“Uh, I think I’m good for now. Probably should check in with Maya before she starts the treatment anyhow, but I promise I won’t be evasive and self-sabotage if I panic.” He awkwardly chuckled. “I’m slowly learning my lesson.”

“You’re coming along,” Natasha agreed.

He barely waited before he hopefully asked, “You’re sure you don’t want to give me any specs yet? Just so I can start figuring out what power source to think about at least.”

“I’ll consider it,” she stoically replied.

Tony sighed. “Talk to you soon, Romanoff.”

As she signed off the call, her phone buzzed with an incoming message from Steve.

Can you meet up in the war room?

She promised herself to bring up the value of being clear about the purpose for meeting once she arrived as she went for the elevator.

Inside the war room, Steve’s reason for requesting her presence became quickly apparent as Clint waved a sheet of paper to directly catch her attention as she walked in, his features completely lit up in delight.

“Tasha, we have fanmail! Specifically for us!”

Steve proudly grinned from the other side of the table. “It arrived this morning, I thought both of you might like to see it.”

The occasional piece of fanmail for the Avengers had been shared around for them all to appreciate, but it had been no surprise that plenty of individual letters came for Captain America and Iron Man.

Natasha hesitated to name the feeling in her gut at the prospect of fanmail meant directly for her even as she took a seat beside Clint to look.

“Here.” He slid a small stack of paper across the table to her with a supportive side smile. “Looks like Grand Central got you a few fans.”

She wordlessly picked up the first sheet and started to read.

It was a letter from the teenage girl the leader of the Crimson Skulls had attempted to use as a shield and her mother, thanking “the Avenger in black” for saving them.

It’s good to know there are literal heroes out there that care about us, I can breathe easier as a parent knowing someone like you is out there and the reason my baby is safe today,’ the mother had written in closing, followed by a P.S. from the girl that almost made a lump catch in Natasha’s throat as she swallowed.

Thank you for showing me how to be brave.’

The next letter was clearly in a child’s writing and accompanied a stick figure marker rendering of what appeared to be Natasha standing beside a man in a suit, with the text stating, ‘THANK YOU!! FOR SAVING MY DADDY!!! - Abigail’.

“Looks like several of kids thanking us for saving their parents in Grand Central,” Clint murmured as her gaze lingered on the drawing. When she made no response after a moment he discreetly nudged her leg under the table and, mindful of Steve’s presence in the room, whispered, “Nat, you okay?”

She flipped to the next letter before she whispered back below her breath. “Are there more from little girls about their fathers?”

Clint’s eyes immediately widened. “Shit, didn’t even think. Sorry.” He started to reach for the fanmail only to pause while looking directly at Natasha. “If you want?”

She subtly shook her head. “I’ll be fine,” she breathed out despite the slight clench to her jaw.

“Er, is something wrong with the letters?” Steve cautiously asked, clear concern lining his expression as he glanced between Clint and Natasha.

They both looked up at him, Natasha’s features instantly falling into a convincingly reassuring mask as she replied. “No, they’re actually very sweet to see. Especially the drawings.”

“It’s great to be inspiring the kids,” Steve said with a little smile before he tried and failed to seem completely casual about checking his phone before he awkwardly gestured towards the door as he pushed his chair back and started to leave. “Sorry, I’ve, uh, got to step out for a bit.”

“No worries!” Clint called after him before casting Natasha an apologetic look. “Fuck, sorry for making Steve notice.”

She set her hand on his and supportively squeezed. “Don’t feel too bad, he’s perceptive.” Before Clint could reply she added, “It caught me off guard, but I promise I will be fine. You don’t need to worry.”

He nodded despite an edge of guilt lining his features. “I know, but I can warn you there’s a few more letters from little girls in there-.”

“Clint,” she gently interrupted as she twisted to face him and held his face in her hands, their eyes intensely locked as they each searchingly stared at the other, “don’t. We both know this is hardly the worst reminder I’ve faced. And I appreciate why you’re trying but I don’t need you to save me from myself.”

“Long as you’re not just punishing yourself,” he softly replied, a note of beseeching in his tone.

“I know when to stop.” After a moment of wordlessly staring at each other she let go of his face and turned back towards her stack of letters with a side nod towards his. “Any interesting details from your fanmail?”

He didn’t bother trying to be secretive about discerningly watching her expression as he replied. “Nothing too interesting, mostly just a lot of appreciation and drawings. Several kids are calling me Arrow Guy though, don’t think I want that to catch on.” After a second he made an excited sound and pushed one of his letters into her space on the table. “And I kinda like how purple this kid drew me.”

Natasha slightly smiled at the rough colored pencil approximation of Clint posing dramatically with a bow, most of the sketch done in a dark purple shade with brighter purple details. “Considering that color scheme for your new tac suit?” she couldn’t resist teasing.

“Don’t know that I’m feeling that bold yet,” he said with a chuckle, “but it’s an idea.”

“If it wouldn’t make you an obvious target, I think you could pull it off,” she commented with an affectionate side smile.

“We both look damn good in it.” Clint almost leaned in towards her only to stop with a careful glance at the door and sigh. “He’s definitely going to be coming back sooner or later and Thor still needs to show up.”

“I don’t think he’s used to carrying a phone or checking for messages yet if Steve only texted,” Natasha amusedly said as she flipped to another letter.

“Yeah, not sure on that front.”

They continued reading through their respective fanmail as though there had been no interruption until Steve returned minutes later and tried to be sneaky about gauging their expressions as he settled back into his seat.

Natasha calmly met his gaze, internally amused by the way Steve’s cheeks flushed as he realized she had noticed his action. “Worried about something?” She didn’t bother masking a slight note of challenge in her tone and caught Clint barely managing to keep his expression even in her peripheral.

Steve’s cheeks immediately went from pink to red. “Uh, not worried, just, uh, wondering about seeing if everyone’s interested in a team training session this afternoon.”

She had to admit it was a decent recovery. “That would work.”

“I’ve got time for it,” Clint said with a casual shrug. “Just let me know when and the dress code.”

“Bruce and Thor should be here soon and we can ask what works for them.” Steve awkwardly cleared his throat and straightened one of the fanmail stacks he had been sorting. “Anything in particular either of you are wanting to do for a session?”

“Warm up with some group stretches, move into maybe running some scenarios for sparring?” Clint suggested.

Steve nodded. “I’m for it.”

--

An unexpected call from Pierce ultimately derailed the training session a little ways into sparring, prompting Steve to briefly step out to answer.

“Do we think that’s a good sign, that he’s calling?” Bruce tentatively asked Clint and Natasha as they all paused their exercises for a water break.

“I think so,” Clint replied around a quick sip. “Pierce isn’t the type to reach out just because he can at least and that was pretty direct just to Steve. I’d be surprised if he comes back without news of being asked to help on something at least.”

Thor had followed behind them, his expression turning almost brooding at the conversation. “I understand why we cannot rush this matter, but I would certainly appreciate if the Secretary would offer us more to work from,” he moodily said while crossing his arms.

“He’ll test the waters with Steve before deciding how much to give, it’s going to mean playing the long game.” Natasha let a sympathetic note cross her expression as she looked at Thor. “Our independent leads may be slow, but they’re better than letting him solely decide what to share. We’ll get something useful on either end soon enough.”

“I do hope.”

No one quite threw themselves wholeheartedly into further sparring as they waited for Steve’s return, everyone almost immediately stopping when he did walk back into the gym, his brow slightly furrowed.

“I think I’m heading back to DC for a few days,” he informed once he was close enough not to have to overly raise his voice.

Natasha exchanged a quick side look with Clint, neither of them needing words to see how the other’s interest had been piqued before she replied to Steve. “It’s a good start for letting you in.”

“Lemme guess though, you’re running a mission with his STIRKE team?” Clint asked.

“I’m not quite sure yet.”

“Whatever it is, stay on Rumlow and Rollins’ good side.” Clint crossed his arms. “If Pierce trusts anyone to give him a second opinion, it’s them.”

Steve somberly nodded. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

Notes:

Special shoutout to my sister for excitedly yelling "FANMAIL!" when she first saw this chapter, it's been a potential inclusion on the loose outline doc for this since literally 2019 and I just hope it makes other people as happy (though maybe apologies for turning it into a dark reminder as well? Sorry!).

Chapter 49

Notes:

Happy 10 years to the first Avengers movie, it is certainly something to reflect on how I've been this obsessed for this long! Part of the journey is refusing to let go? ;)
But seriously, what an adventure, for all the ups and downs since I'm real glad it's brought me and probably anyone reading this here!

Chapter Text

There was definitely someone in his kitchen. From the sound of it, they were helpfully starting a pot of coffee, which was more than enough for Clint’s groggy mind to confidently guess it was Natasha.

Though her unannounced presence certainly raised a few questions.

They had opted to sleep in their separate suites the night before out of an abundance of caution if anyone else were paying attention and hadn’t planned on specifically meeting up until later in the day to train. Natasha wouldn’t have deviated from that plan without a pressing reason.

Clint anxiously swallowed and pushed himself out of bed to ask.

She had poured herself a bowl of cereal and was standing with her back to the far counter as she faced the bedroom and ate, only to curiously arch an eyebrow at him when he emerged and sleepily blinked at her.

“Nat?” He ended on an involuntary yawn. “What’re you doing?”

“Breakfast.” She evenly regarded him. “You took longer than you should have to investigate the source.”

“It sounded like you, and no one who wants to kill me is gonna make coffee first.” He waited a moment to see if she would respond before he continued, careful to keep a perfectly casual tone. “So what’s the emergency?”

She briefly looked away as she set her bowl down on the counter before she crossed her arms across her chest. “I wanted to see you.”

His heart flipped at how small her voice sounded and he instinctively moved towards her, unable to quite keep from frowning in mild concern. “Nightmare?”

“Nothing unusual,” Natasha replied, her voice almost too tight to truly come across as blasé.

“Tasha, hey…,” he whispered as he slowly reached to hold the sides of her arms. When she made no moves to stop him, he wrapped his arms around her waist without breaking eye contact, equal measures of sympathy and worry lining his features. “Do you want to talk about it or focus on something else?”

She leaned in against him without unfolding her arms. “Remember what you told me after São Paulo?”

“While I was patching you up or after?” Clint asked in a murmur, his expression ever so briefly going distant in memory.

“Both.” Her voice went quiet. “You told me it still mattered that I was trying to do better and that I cared when it went wrong. That my intentions counted for something even against all my red.”

“They do, I still mean every word,” he fervently said. “Nat-.”

She cut him off with a deep breath. “It does help, some days.” Natasha shifted back to unfold her arms and hug him around the middle before she whispered, “All our ghosts are rearing their heads lately.”

Clint made a bitter sound and nodded. “Long as there aren’t any more for a while…”

“Mmhmm.”

After a long moment of shared silence, Natasha tipped her head against his shoulder and closed her eyes, neither of them making any moves to separate from the embrace until the coffee was ready.

“Anything else I can do to help?” Clint softly asked as she slipped away to grab two mugs from the nearby cabinet.

She cast him a small thankful smile over her shoulder. “I was hoping to take some of your time.”

“I’m good for it,” he reassured while lifting the coffee pot to pour from as she positioned the mugs for him on the counter. “What’re you thinking?”

“Picking something distracting to watch for a few hours.” She recollected her cereal bowl and snagged one of the mugs before she started in the direction of his couch. “I’m open to suggestions.”

“Been a while since we’ve commentated over channel surfing just because,” Clint called after her while he grabbed the cereal box and a bowl of his own before giving a little chuckle. “Bet we could find some ridiculous reality dating show-.”

Natasha firmly cut him off without looking back, her tone brooking no argument. “Absolutely not.”

After varying between commenting on several morning talk shows and a partial rerun of a Little House on the Prairie episode, they ended up jointly intrigued enough by a documentary about the wildlife of Madagascar to watch in relative silence.

“I think I just made a lifelong connection to lemurs,” Clint lightheartedly commented as it finished.

“They’re mostly cute,” Natasha agreed as she angled to face him with the beginnings of a teasing smile. “I’m surprised you don’t have a favorite.”

He shifted to turn towards her, unable to entirely keep from a grin in response. “I dunno, those red ones are standing out to me.”

“You do like the color.” She scooted slightly closer to him and slid her hands onto his shoulders while holding eye contact. “Can I ask a serious question?”

He immediately sobered his expression. “Go for it.”

"If we can look beyond getting pulled from active duty to help tip the decision,” she slowly started, “do you still think you would have wanted to continue with the team?”

Clint blew out a long breath and thoughtfully knit his brow. “Little bit of a heavy one there, Nat. Uh…” He nodded after a moment. “Yeah, I guess I think so. There’s been something appealing about the group of us working together from the beginning, and not that I don’t miss running regular missions, but I’m appreciating the freedom we’ve got making more of our own calls. And I think I needed the distance regardless of officially sticking me on leave.” Careful not to dislodge her hands, he shifted closer to Natasha and let a note of sympathy soften his voice. “Why do you ask?”

The long moment of silence before she replied didn’t surprise him. “We know why we’re here, what the Avengers means to us as an opportunity.” Her expression fell. “But I can’t help wondering if knowing our pasts and why we joined would change anything with the team.”

“I don’t think the skeletons in our closet would be a complete shock from what little they do know already, but I hear you,” he meaningfully replied after a contemplative pause of his own, his gaze soft. “And I’d like to think it wouldn’t really change things since they know where you’re at now, but no matter what would happen you know I’m always in your corner.”

She leaned in to press a brief kiss to his lips and only pulled back by a few inches before she murmured, “I know.” Natasha paused for a second. “I’m leaning to a little bit more distraction and then we should both make appearances before training.”

Clint nodded and put an arm around her shoulders to prompt her into a side hug. “I’m good for it.”

--

“Okay,” Bruce gasped from where he had practically collapsed onto the gym mat, lying on his back with his limbs tiredly sprawled at his sides, “that’s more than enough for me. I’ll probably be feeling this for the next week.”

After finding him already stretching in the gym when Clint and Natasha had entered, they had opted to be polite and partially include him to work on some sparring techniques.

Clint couldn’t help a small chuckle. “Good news is you know you did something when it’s burning after.” He stepped closer to Bruce and reached down to offer a hand. “Just don’t push yourself too far, doc.”

“Trying not to.” He took Clint’s hand and let him help to pull him back onto his feet, Bruce needing a second to fully regain his footing. “Thanks.”

“Your dodges are looking better,” Natasha commented from a few steps away as she watched Clint wait an extra moment to make sure Bruce was steady on his feet before letting go.

“Thanks,” he repeated before he absentmindedly rubbed a hand through the back of his hair with an awkward sound. “I don’t know that it’s a skill the Other Guy cares much about, but at least it feels helpful.”

Clint exchanged a quick look of question with Natasha before he brightened his features and supportively said, “Never know when that practice could come in handy for a fight.”

Bruce nodded with a thankful smile in his direction. “Good point.”

After a beat of silence Clint casually gestured towards Bruce and asked, “Do you feel like Hulk does use any of your skills too? Or is that completely separate?”

Natasha shot Clint a curious side look before they both intently focused on gauging Bruce’s response.

He blew out a heavy exhale and self-consciously glanced down. “Uh, it’s… complicated, to say the least, and more of a sometimes than one or the other?”

“Huh.” Clint made a clear sound of interest. “You don’t have to answer if I’m just being too nosey, but just out of curiosity now, how much can you communicate with Hulk? And is that consistent or just when you change?”

“It depends on whether he wants to openly communicate,” Bruce slowly said. “And we don’t really, uh, talk much, it’s more… feeling.” He briefly bit at his lower lip before his voice fell almost to a mumble. “Or managing feelings at least.”

Clint offered a sympathetic frown. “Sounds rough.”

“It is what it is,” Bruce replied with a small shrug, failing to sound or appear as nonchalant as he had intended. Conscious of the fact, he quickly added, “Uh, thanks for letting me crash your gym plans, but,” he pointed with both thumbs towards the door, “I think I’ve distracted myself enough from work that I should get back to it.”

Natasha nodded in his direction, her expression open. “Just let us know if you want to spar again sometime.”

“I’ll do that.”

Clint waited until Bruce had left before he arched a brow at Natasha. “Think he’ll actually follow up specifically?”

She gave a one shoulder shrug. “He seems casually interested.” Natasha moved closer to nudge Clint in the side with her elbow. “And you certainly gave him something to think about.”

“Hey, I wasn’t trying to spur something really reflective,” Clint said as he innocently held up both hands, “I was just curious.”

“I’m glad you asked, it was a worthwhile glimpse into him and the Hulk.” After waiting to see if he had an initial reply, she nodded towards the assortment of weight machines across the room. “Want to switch things up?”

“I’m claiming the cable machine first.”

Chapter 50

Notes:

Technically all of this fic continues to be immensely self-indulgent for me, but this is one of those chapters that has a lot of very specific self-indulgent moments, haha, so hopefully they work for you too, dear reader!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“Assuming I don’t have any untoward side effects in the next twenty-two hours, we should be heading back to New York after that,” Pepper informed before she broke into a tired sigh. “Though I will admit I’ve been mildly dreading tackling my priority list once I’m back in the office.”

“I can imagine.” Natasha waited for a beat before she asked, “Has Dr. Hansen decided what she’s doing next?”

“She politely declined Tony’s offer of a position in SI and is planning to build what she can to continue her work with the contacts and people she can trust from AIM. And she’ll continue to be a key testimony for the AIM and Killian investigations for however long that takes.”

Natasha made a dry sound of amusement. “Depends on how long AIM can keep their lawyers’ checks coming.”

“It will be interesting to see how this plays out,” Pepper diplomatically agreed, her tone even.

Despite the fact that they were speaking over the phone, Natasha arched an eyebrow in question. “General concern or something specific?”

Pepper’s voice went quiet. “I’m not looking forward to getting called in for testimony. There’s plenty about this that I would prefer not to have to put on the record.”

“Do you want to talk about that?” Natasha asked with a sympathetic note.

“Ah, not now, I’ve been doing more than enough reflecting already.” After a second Pepper cleared her throat. “Anything important that Tony and I have missed in the last few days?”

Given that Natasha couldn’t share news like Clint and I are actually meeting Phil for dinner on Thursday, she opted to elaborate on a separate recent subject instead. “Tony may have already shared this, but Steve left for DC on business. Otherwise Jane and Darcy will be heading to UC Berkeley next week to give a talk on the Foster Theory.”

“That’s exciting for them,” Pepper brightly said. “Especially for being recognized there, since I think Berkeley has a notable astrophysics history?”

“So I hear.”

“Darcy?” Pepper guessed with a little laugh.

“She’s been very excited,” Natasha confirmed as she shifted to tuck her legs underneath her in her chair.

After a beat of amicable silence Pepper casually asked, “And I’ve gathered the situation with Steve might have him in DC for a while?”

“Probably.”

“Are you worried to see how that plays out?”

Natasha made a noncommittal sound. “Not so much worried as interested.” Sensing a likely follow up question from Pepper, she added, “It’s only another means to answers, wherever they lead.”

Easier not to open up to too many probing questions on the subject.

“That makes sense for- sorry, hold on for just a second.” Pepper’s voice went muffled from what Natasha guessed to be her hand covering her phone’s microphone. “Swiss and ham would be great. Love you!” After another pause Pepper continued, her voice again clear. “Sorry, Tony’s being slightly particular about making sure I stay well fed.”

“Mm, it’s a reasonable concern.”

Pepper made a quiet sound of assent before she affectionately said, “He is very sweet about it.” She broke into a bittersweet sigh a second later. “I do need to say thank you for giving him something to work on once we’re back, I think my going back into the office will be an anxious adjustment for him to make despite Extremis being stable.”

“We can help keep him occupied,” Natasha reassuringly replied.

“Thank you.”

Without giving Pepper time to steer the conversation back to a previous topic, Natasha asked, “How quiet are you trying to keep your return to New York?”

“Ah, we’re trying to be relatively discreet, we’re hoping not to immediately prompt any Iron Man themed gatherings outside the Tower at least.” Pepper let out a faintly amused huff. “God, sometimes I still can’t believe these are things I regularly have to consider.”

Natasha sympathetically hummed. “Are you coming in on the streets or from the air?”

“Flying privately and driving into the city.”

“Tony’s driving?”

“I asked Cam to meet us at the airfield with one of the cars and to drive us back to simplify the logistics,” Pepper informed, referring to her assistant.

“It sounds like a good plan.” Natasha’s voice turned wry. “And if you need, I’m sure several Avengers could be talked into providing a newsworthy distraction to help cover for you.”

Pepper quietly chuckled. “It’s a thought.”

“Do you want me to keep it quiet that you’re coming back?”

“No, that’s fine. Though Tony should hopefully be reaching out to let the other Avengers know too once we’re a little further into the observation period to make sure we’re not planning prematurely.”

Natasha made a sound of affirmation and lowered her phone to take a quick glance at the time. “Anything else you particularly wanted to discuss before your lunch plans?”

Pepper blew out a thoughtful breath. “Actually, I did want to ask a professional favor. In light of recent events and wanting to give Happy more personal time, we’re looking to expand SI’s personal security and I was curious if you would be willing to provide some input for what to look for in the interviews.” After a second Pepper quickly added, “Clint would be more than welcome to be involved too.”

“We can work up a list of recommended criteria.” Natasha put her phone on speaker and started to type up a text to Clint. “Anything we should know for preferences first?”

“I trust your judgement.”

Natasha hit send. “We’ll keep that in mind.” She waited for a beat before she commented, “I’m slightly surprised Tony isn’t falling back to the autonomous bodyguard idea.”

“Oh, it’s been a thought,” Pepper tiredly said, “but we agree it, ah, needs a bit more work as an executable concept and don’t necessarily want the attention of a whole suit consistently walking around.”

“It is less than subtle,” Natasha agreed with a faintly amused huff.

Pepper knowingly hummed. “To say the least.” She broke into a huff of her own. “And selfishly, I certainly don’t want to encourage the board or investors to ask too many questions about getting SI directly involved with Iron Man again.”

“That almost sounds like something you want a margarita night to complain about,” Natasha lightly said.

A bright laugh escaped Pepper. “I’d like that, actually. Does the end of the week work for you?”

“I’ll be there.”

--

It took conscious effort to keep his leg from anxiously bouncing as they all settled around the table, Clint’s expression at least steadier than he felt.

He wasn’t at all surprised when Coulson cast him a small supportive smile, years of working together making him sufficiently familiar to catch the little tells of Clint’s mannerisms.

“Thank you again for being willing to meet, I know it’s not easy for either of you,” Coulson told Natasha and Clint, his voice soft with sympathy.

She folded her arms and leaned slightly forward on the table with a hum. “It helps to be involved.”

Clint nodded. “Good to talk to you again, Phil,” he added, a mildly gruff note in his voice.

Under the table, Natasha discreetly pressed her leg against his in unspoken support.

Coulson swallowed and nodded back before he managed out a tight, “I know.” After a beat he cleared his throat and brightened his expression as he took a look around the restaurant. “Waitress on the way.”

They waited until after placing their respective orders and receiving their drinks before delving back into more than small talk.

“So how have things been going with your team?” Clint asked, his voice and expression almost perfectly casual even as he drummed his fingers against his thigh.

“They’re proving to be a solid group and the investigations are going well.” Coulson quietly chuckled. “I took a chance on including two Sci-Tech graduates who wanted to try field assignments, it’s been interesting to see them settling into assisting operations.”

Natasha arched a brow at him, her gaze sharp with curiosity. “What convinced Sci-Tech grads to forgo a lab position?”

“They’re both young geniuses who saw an opportunity to experience more of the world and to keep on working with each other.” Coulson broke into another smile, tinged with a bittersweet edge. “There are times they remind me of you, working as a package deal.”

“Hopefully only in the best ways,” Clint lightheartedly replied with a glance down at the table.

“I can admit I’m appreciating having to be less concerned about the field risks they’re taking and what medical adventure to expect next,” Coulson wryly said.

Natasha good-naturedly rolled her eyes. “You say that as though we’re reckless.”

“Only on occasion.” Coulson raised an eyebrow in turn. “Such as the stunt you pulled in Strasbourg, or somehow ending up in Thailand immediately after without any notice-.”

“Hey, we explained why that was a necessary emergency change of plans as soon as we safely could,” Clint defended, no real bite in his voice. “And I’ll always argue that making beneficial calls in the moment without needing to consult with a handler is part of what makes us good field agents, not so much an example of being reckless.”

“Maybe from an operations perspective, but accounting certainly disagreed,” Coulson quipped with a knowing look.

Clint dramatically sighed. “Yeah, I definitely am not missing having to validate expenses for them.”

After a beat of silence Coulson thoughtfully asked, “How are you liking the flexibility of the Avengers?”

“The flexibility is admittedly a nice change of pace from the mission schedule, even though it’s been an adjustment to have a lot more free time on our hands,” Clint said as he exchanged a communicative side look with Natasha. “But then it’s also been nice to get asked in still for some SHIELD adjacent missions.”

She pointedly caught Coulson’s eye. “Including consultation.”

“I’m keeping you in mind for the right case,” he almost reassuringly replied as he held her gaze. “And until then I don’t plan on being a stranger.”

“Not least of all because we can give you Captain America stories?” Clint drily teased.

Coulson’s eyes lit up as he chuckled. “I can’t say I’m not interested.”

Natasha smirked and reached for her glass, commenting, “You’ll love to hear he’s surprisingly adept at Mario Kart,” before she took a drink.

“That sounds like a good story,” Coulson said with another chuckle.

Clint tipped his head towards him in acknowledgement and couldn’t keep from breaking into a small smile even as his voice turned wry. “Thought we were going to have a bit of easy group fun and instead it turns out Rogers is not only good but he’s competitive about it.”

Mario Kart is a video game, right?”

“Yeah, so how it works is you race around tracks with these cartoony characters…”

Giving Coulson a relative understanding of how Mario Kart functioned and the ways in which Steve excelled at it overtook the conversation until their food arrived, prompting them to again wait until their waitress was out of earshot before continuing.

“So you’ve got two Sci-Tech grads and May on your team,” Clint started to say in between bites of his pad thai, “anyone else?”

Coulson nodded with a subtle degree of hesitation. “Junior operations specialist, Grant Ward.”

“Mm,” Natasha flatly hummed, her lips pursed while a note of clear irritation flashed through Clint’s eyes. “I’ve heard about him.”

“Pretty sure he’s been an asshole just because he’s not as good as Nat,” Clint grumbled as he leaned back and crossed his arms over his chest. “And I know Sharon kicked his ass once for a comment he made.”

“His interpersonal skills continue to need some work,” Coulson carefully said, “but Hill and I did consider that and his growth while vetting him. His skills are undeniably an asset at large and for my cases, and we agreed the nature of the team would help to foster improved personal relationships better than his previous mission schedule.” He caught Natasha’s eye. “I hope it’s not a surprise that I won’t tolerate talk of looking down on you or any other agents.”

Her expression hadn’t changed as she slightly nodded at Coulson. “What did you ask May there for?”

“I wanted someone familiar, and I only asked her to fly our mobile command station, nothing close to fieldwork unless if she decides to.” Coulson shrugged with one shoulder. “And I thought it would be good for her and the rest of the team to work closely with each other.”

“Is it?” Clint shrewdly asked.

“They’re all opening up.” Coulson started to warmly smile. “May’s even been cracking several jokes to me lately.”

Clint and Natasha simultaneously raised an eyebrow in interest.

“Sounds like a change of pace is doing all of us well,” Clint thoughtfully commented while he unfolded his arms.

Coulson’s smile widened as he slightly glanced down, the action prompting another side look of unspoken communication between Clint and Natasha. “It’s been good to see.”

The corner of Natasha’s mouth nearly pulled up in a knowing smile of her own. “How has it been to work with May again?”

“Different from the old days in plenty of ways,” Coulson began to say, his voice tinged with a mildly wistful air, “but we’ve settled into some of our old rhythms easily enough. And I’ve appreciated having someone I already trust like her as I’ve gotten back into the swing of things and we settle into the team.”

Clint made a sound of acknowledgement. “Think there’s a chance she will go back into the field for your cases?”

Coulson shrugged, his expression betraying no particular emotion. “I can tell she enjoys doing more than deskwork again, but I don’t know that she wants to take that beyond piloting.” He waited for a moment before he gave another shrug. “But then again, it wouldn’t be the first surprise lately if she does.”

“Something we should know about?” Clint asked with a frown.

Coulson shook his head. “No, it’s more of a general sentiment.” He slightly smiled and gestured towards Clint and Natasha. “If someone would have told me a year ago you had both stepped back from SHIELD to join a team of apparent superheroes I don’t think I would have remotely believed them, but here we are.”

She amusedly huffed. “Surprise is the right word.”

“It’s a good surprise though.” Coulson made direct eye contact with Clint and Natasha. “I have wanted to ask how you feel about the risk of public exposure with the Avengers.”

“Uh, well,” Clint sighed, “short answer we’ve definitely weighed out the risk, but it’s been a repeat conversation topic since we joined.” He looked at Natasha and held her gaze as he spoke. “We know it’s a matter of when we’re revealed to the public if we’re Avengers, not if, but that’s worth it for what we can accomplish with the team.”

Coulson slowly nodded. “For whatever it’s worth,” he started to say, his voice soft, “I’m proud to see you becoming heroes.”

While Clint swallowed back an immediate lump of emotion at the comment, Natasha responded with a small, grateful smile for both of them. “It means a lot, Phil.”

“Can’t leave out how you got us here in a few different ways,” Clint quietly added.

“I’m only willing to take up to a third of the credit,” Coulson said after a clear moment of internal debate over his phrasing. “You did all the rest yourselves.”

Clint covered another swallow with a small chuckle. “We’re trying to be humble about it,” he wisecracked, not bothering to attempt to mask the unspoken undercurrent of appreciation in his voice.

Natasha affectionately shook her head. “You know what he means.”

“Of course.” After another moment Coulson lifted his glass. “To the best STRIKE Team turned Avengers and all that’s ahead.”

Clint and Natasha simultaneously raised their glasses towards Coulson’s. “Cheers to that.”

Notes:

For as much as some of my Agents of SHIELD biases are very apparent (lol), have no fear any fellow Daisy fans, she will join Coulson's team in time! When Clint and Nat hear anything about her is TBA though ;)

Chapter 51

Notes:

So, uh, did all of the past few months absolutely fly by for everyone else? As cliché as it is I blinked and it was somehow already September and I realized this chapter had been sitting unposted but approved by my spellchecker for a while, oops.

Chapter Text

Clint was admittedly grateful he had been sleeping alone as he awoke with a start and almost immediately shoved the sheet and blankets off, the feel of them too constricting as he fought to steady his breathing.

The exact contents of the nightmare escaped his waking memory, but the resulting panic kept his heart beating quicker than usual as he pushed himself to sit on the side of the bed with a frustrated groan.

“Fuck!” He rubbed at his face with both hands and heavily exhaled. “Fuck…”

After a long moment he forced himself up to check the time.

4:17 AM.

Experience told him there was almost no chance of getting back to sleep given the intensity of the nightmare. He briefly debated if it was worth trying to join Natasha to help lull himself back into a tired state but quickly decided he didn’t particularly feel like answering questions in the moment or waking her up.

Clint changed into workout clothes and went straight for the gym, only pausing to grab an energy bar and fill a water bottle.

He stopped in mild surprise a few steps into the gym as he realized he wasn’t alone.

“Uh, hi. Couldn’t sleep?”

Thor looked back over his shoulder towards Clint with no effort to lower the weighted barbell he had lifted and politely smiled in greeting. “Something like that.”

Clint caught a subtle note of strain in his voice and frowned. “Everything okay?”

“Ah.” Thor carefully set the barbell down so he could directly angle towards Clint, his gaze discerning. “I do appreciate your concern, but should I be asking the same of you?”

They wordlessly stared at each other for a long moment before Clint casually shrugged. “Just woke up too soon, didn’t like what I was thinking about, and wanted something to keep myself busy with.”

Thor slowly nodded. “Is my presence a… reminder you would rather not have for the moment?”

“You’re good,” Clint reassured before he questioningly arched a brow and started to point to the door behind him. “If you’d rather have some space I can head to the range instead-.”

“I do not mind the company.” Thor momentarily hesitated, something almost akin to nervousness in his bearing, before he added, “I would rather, ah, prefer it if you stayed, actually.”

Clint let a clear note of sympathy fall across his expression and internally debated how carefully to pick his next words. “We don’t have to talk about anything, but clearly something is up and if you want to get it out, I’ve got time.”

He briefly worried he had overstepped when Thor tightened the set of his jaw, an almost tense moment passing before he relaxed into a weary smile. “I confess my thoughts have also been troubled as of late, turning to the things I worry for here on Midgard and in Asgard.”

“Mmm,” Clint hummed with a thoughtful nod, unsure how much Thor wanted commiseration. “That’s rough.”

Thor grimly chuckled. “And it seems there is little more I can do than wait for answers or the results of other’s actions before I can directly do anything more.”

“Scepter’s really been on your mind?” Clint guessed after he quietly blew out a breath.

“I do feel responsible for it regardless of other factors,” Thor somberly said, his gaze briefly going distant.

“Right.” Clint nodded again and folded his arms across his chest after setting his water bottle down. “Not sure that I’ve got anything useful to add about that other than what we’re already doing, but depending on what else you’re thinking about I know something that’s at least a productive distraction in the meantime.”

Measured interest lit up Thor’s eyes. “Productive in what way?”

“There are still a lot of volunteer reconstruction projects around the city. Runs the risk of making yourself increasingly recognizable especially if you’re not, uh, subtle about your skills,” Clint cautioned, “but it’s something that directly helps people and could keep you busy.”

Thor hummed in acknowledgement. “I believe Darcy has discussed these reconstruction projects as well, but thank you for the suggestion, I will have to look further into them.”

After a beat of silence Clint unfolded his arms and gestured towards the barbell. “Just out of curiosity, are very early morning workouts usually a thing for you or just today?”

“Only for today, but I, ah, am no stranger to independently occupying myself while restless.”

“I get it,” Clint softly said before he took a half step forward and self-consciously cleared his throat. “Since we’re both here, would you want to spar or something?”

Thor broke into an appreciative grin. “I would like that.”

--

Natasha only slightly held back a smirk as she leaned in against Clint’s side and dropped her voice to a teasing whisper. “Something you need to tell me about inviting Thor along on our date?”

Clint awkwardly chuckled. “When you put it that way…” He looked towards where Thor was intently listening to a Met docent explain the history of a landscape painting a few feet away. “Think it’s doing him good though and I feel like a better friend.”

“You didn’t say much earlier about how he was doing,” she murmured as she followed his line of sight.

“He’s definitely a little lonely with Jane and Darcy gone, talked a bit about missing people on Asgard, and, uh, he’s got a lot on his mind.”

Natasha quietly hummed in acknowledgement. “You also didn’t say why you ran into each other.”

“I woke up early, didn’t want to bother you,” Clint said with a blasé shrug despite being quick to add, “Not for any alarming reasons, just one of those days.”

She turned towards him with a slight frown and set her hand on his forearm to prompt him to look at her. “You wouldn’t have bothered me.”

Clint held her gaze with an apologetic expression. “Next time,” he softly promised.

She nodded once and gently squeezed his forearm before she let go and glanced to see if Thor’s attention had shifted back to them during the conversation. “How much did you tell him about the day before inviting him along?”

“Just that we were going to an art museum.” Clint broke into a grin. “Nothing about any evening plans.”

A smile subtly pulled at the corners of Natasha’s mouth. “What do you have in mind?”

“I’ve got dinner covered, and I’ll surprise you with the rest?” he almost coyly said.

She made a quiet sound of interest. “You know you’re building my expectations, Barton.”

Clint winked. “Don’t think I’m gonna disappoint.”

After Thor left the docent somewhat starry-eyed by the end of their interaction, they all continued to another gallery on the docent’s recommendation, with Thor somewhat leading the way for what all they looked at as Clint and Natasha were content to follow where his interest lied.

“Admittedly didn’t expect him to be such a fine art appreciator,” Clint discreetly murmured to Natasha as Thor flagged down another docent to politely ask about the painting technique used in a particular piece.

“Could come with being royalty,” she suggested in a matching tone.

“Oh, is that how it works?” he lightheartedly asked as he cast her a side look and arched an eyebrow.

She rolled her eyes and bumped her hip against his. “You know what I mean.”

“And he gets points for liking Degas, right?”

“Of course.”

They perused the galleries for several more hours before leaving to head back to the Tower, Clint having opted to be nice in the car and offer Thor the passenger seat while he took the backseat and Natasha drove.

“Thank you again for allowing me to accompany you to the museum, it has certainly lifted my spirits,” Thor told them with a warm smile as he glanced between Clint and Natasha before focusing on her. “And I appreciate your willingness to unexpectedly permit me to accompany you.”

She amiably smiled in return. “I didn’t have any reason to say no, and now we know to include you in other museum plans.”

Thor’s eyes lit up. “I am interested.”

“Yeah, I didn’t realize art was something you were going to be so excited about,” Clint commented.

“While we have magnificent paintings on Asgard, I was impressed by the variety of painting styles that Midgard has,” Thor started to eagerly explain, “and that there are so many places around the world devoted solely to displaying…”

He elaborated on his painting interest until they were close enough to Avengers Tower to notice a large group of individuals with signs gathered outside the main entrance.

“Iron Man fans or something else?” Clint asked with a frown as he leaned to get the best view of the crowd through the car’s windows.

Thor contemplatively furrowed his brow and waited a moment longer in observation before he replied. “I think they are here for the Avengers.”

The signs had a variety of phrases, but the general sentiment through all of the messages seemed to be less than positive about the Avengers.

“It’s the Avengers’ fault’,” Clint read from one sign before he blew out a bemused sigh. “Could do with a little bit more specifics there to understand what this is about, people.”

Natasha glanced between the crowd and the road as she drove towards the garage entrance, thankful the crowd was centered on the other side of the building to avoid anyone specifically noting their arrival. “Call Tony, make sure he and SI security know.” She looked back to Clint in the rearview mirror. “Maybe update Hill.”

He nodded in her direction without looking up from his phone as he started to dial Tony. “On it.”

Thor kept his gaze focused on the crowd for as long as he could until they pulled into the parking garage. “Do you think they speak of the Chitauri attack?” He heavily furrowed his brow. “It seems a sudden thing, to publicly assign blame like this after thanking the Avengers for all this time.”

“Something’s provoking that many people to be here all at once and organized,” Natasha agreed. “I don’t think it’ll be a problem to figure out what though.”

While Clint matter-of-factly brought Tony up to speed, Natasha had only barely parked when she felt her own phone buzz with an incoming call.

“We could ask them what they are blaming us for,” Thor commented.

“Hold on.” She exchanged a mildly apologetic look with him as she answered her phone. “Pepper?”

“Hi, are you in the Tower?” The other woman’s voice was tight. “I need to talk to the Avengers.”

“Clint and I are in the garage with Thor, we just got back and saw the crowd outside.” Natasha paused for a half second. “I assume that’s what you want to talk about?”

“I think I know something about it,” Pepper tensely said. “Can you meet in the SI board room? I’ll ask Tony and Bruce next.”

“We’ll be right up.”

Unsurprisingly, Tony and Bruce were already seated near Pepper at the board room’s conference table when Clint, Natasha, and Thor arrived.

Pepper only waited for them to also sit before she started to explain, her expression barely betraying an undercurrent of anxiety. “Roxxon and AIM have apparently joined forces and decided to start a public campaign against the Avengers, and they want you to take full accountability for the damages to the Norco and its contents.”

Tony rolled his eyes and loudly scoffed. “Well that’s one way to try to cover their asses.”

“Surprised they banded together that quickly,” Clint drily said.

Bruce made a thoughtful sound and slightly leaned forward in his chair. “Their research side alone is enough for AIM to want to keep their head above water and try to clear their name of Killian and any organizational responsibility for what he led. And I’m sure Roxxon doesn’t want the reminder of the Norco’s oil spill to stay on the public’s mind.”

“Hell, that’s bad press for the administration too.” Clint folded his arms and frowned. “Think Rhodey would know if we need to be worried about government involvement with this?”

Tony nodded in Clint’s direction. “I’ll ask.”

Natasha waited a moment to see if anyone else had a comment to add before she directly caught Pepper’s eye, her own expression discerning. “What do we know yet about the campaign against the Avengers?”

“They’ve shared select images of the aftermath from the fight and a figure for how many millions of dollars Roxxon is out in oil and repairs with the message that the Avengers acted recklessly on top of wanting accountability. The response we’re seeing thus far has taken that and run with it to raise concerns and fears.” The set of Pepper’s jaw briefly tightened. “And there’s been a contact request to the Avengers placed with legal.”

“Something hidden up their sleeve then,” Clint replied with a note of clear annoyance.

Thor made a sound of displeasure and scowled. “They turn to these manipulations instead of seeking us first.”

“They know there are fires to fan to their advantage for public perception of the Avengers,” Natasha calmly stated. “Especially with Killian and most of his direct Extremis associates dead and Dr. Hansen keeping a low profile, they force our hand into the spotlight otherwise we’re letting them control the narrative. It’s a smart move on their end.”

Bruce nervously swallowed. “So what are our options?”

Clint shrugged with one shoulder. “For one we hear out their contact request, find out what they’re hiding and then we work from there. Make ‘em think we’re playing along and get a step ahead.”

“We could ignore them too if we want, that’s worked for me before,” Tony offhandedly said.

“I do not think we should run from this,” Thor firmly said as he glanced at everyone.

“No,” Pepper agreed with a nod. “I have a few tentative suggestions for counter PR. Opinions on the Avengers have been positively and negatively split since the beginning, at least try to keep that balance. We don’t want the existing trust to degrade.”

Natasha raised an eyebrow at her. “PR with maybe three public facing members of the team at most is only going to do so much and will be easy to twist.”

“It will take some careful consideration,” Pepper diplomatically started to say, “but there’s a way to keep your privacy and boost the team’s image at the same time.”

Tony broadly gestured with one hand to catch everyone’s attention. “I’ve had some interview requests coming in anyhow, I think I can get some good press for the team without coming across too obvious and get at least a level view on why we’ve got some secrets from the world.” He paused. “Obviously we should get Steve’s opinion too, but unless if anyone is opposed…?”

In an echo of Natasha, Clint similarly raised an eyebrow. “Long as we’re also finding out what their next play is and coming at this from multiple fronts.”

“I also have an idea for something I can do to help improve opinions of the Avengers,” Thor added after a moment, his eyes bright with determination. “Clint told me there are still reconstruction projects around New York, surely helping with those would show that we do care about the impact of our battles.”

Tony made a sound of acknowledgement and communicatively looked at Pepper. “That could be good. Maybe a little transparent to start now but it adds to the financial history-.”

“I think Steve has also occasionally volunteered with some of these projects,” Natasha interjected. “He’s tried to keep a low profile, but the trail is there for anyone curious enough to dig up.” She purposefully paused before she continued. “Nudging a journalist in that direction doesn’t necessarily make it look like it’s only starting with Thor.”

Tony’s expression quickly cycled between realization and sheepish excitement. “I have an idea.”

Pepper questioningly narrowed her eyes at him. “Who?”

“Christine Everhart won’t say no to an exclusive scoop and interview.”

It took a moment for Pepper to nod in response. “She’s not a bad option.”

Clint unfolded his arms after a subtle side glance with Natasha. “So respond to the contact request, take a few positive PR steps, see how things play out and plan from there? Everyone good with that?”

“I think it works,” Bruce said.

Thor smiled. “Agreed.”

“Teamwork,” Tony brightly said with an open gesture. “Go us.”

Chapter 52

Notes:

Hello again, I promise this story is still very much alive, but updates will probably be even slower than they sometimes got before this last break! Turns out I was a little too optimistic for how much free time I'd have left after throwing grad school in on top of my other life commitments, plus changing my mind many, many times over on how certain points in this chapter played out is definitely not a good combination for timely updates (woops), but we got here in the end!

As always, dear reader, thanks for coming along on the journey :)

Chapter Text

“Hey,” Clint lightheartedly warned as Natasha reached across him to snag a cherry tomato. “Those aren’t for munching tonight.”

She smirked at him in unapologetic challenge and coyly said, “I don’t see you stopping me.”

“You get one freebie.”

Without breaking eye contact, Natasha popped the tomato into her mouth and started to reach for another only for Clint to gently grab her wrist.

“Not a snack bar.” He waited a moment before he let go and cast her a pointed look. “Dinner’s not gonna take that much longer.”

“Faster if you’d let me slice something,” she countered as she leaned back against the counter and raised both brows. “I appreciate the sentiment but making it by yourself works better when I’m not right here.”

“It’s-.” He stopped and frowned as his phone loudly buzzed in his pocket. “And ignoring that,” he muttered, “no more interruptions today, we’re having our night.” He only waited a moment before he nudged a can of black olives towards Natasha without directly looking at her. “Okay, you win.”

She couldn’t help a slightly triumphant smile as she picked up the can. “Drained and sliced?”

“Mmhmm.” He halved another tomato before Natasha’s phone also buzzed and prompted him to set the knife flat on the cutting board with a disappointed sigh. “Shit.”

Natasha set the can back down with one hand and fished out her phone with the other, only to curiously furrow her brow as she saw the caller ID. “It’s Hill,” she informed Clint before she answered and brought the phone to her ear, her tone all business. “Romanoff here.”

Clint silently watched Natasha’s reaction to Maria’s call for several moments and mouthed, “Emergency?” when she frowned.

She made a so-so gesture with her free hand and calmly asked Maria, “How are they?”

At the question Clint broke into a frown of his own, prompting Natasha to step closer and angle the phone to let him try and hear what Maria was saying.

“-shaken but safe.” Maria barely paused before she added, “No direct indication yet of what group they were targeted by, but I have their shadowing agent investigating.”

“Anything for why?”

“It seems like interest in the application of Dr. Foster’s research, but we’re not ruling out the possibility of a connection to Thor or the Avengers in general on top of that.”

Natasha exchanged a communicative glance with Clint as he slightly cocked his head to the side to show his interest. “Is there any indication to actively suspect Roxxon or AIM, on the off chance this is another of their current stunts?”

“Not as of yet.” Maria didn’t bother to keep a note of shrewd curiosity out of her voice. “How is that situation currently looking for the Avengers?”

“I assume they’re waiting for tomorrow’s business hours to tell us what they really want,” Natasha drily said.

Maria made a rueful sound. “No surprises there.”

Clint openly shrugged and nodded, the action eliciting a partial smile from Natasha even as her tone sobered. “Are you going to ask me to update Thor and keep him from flying to Berkeley in response?”

“I would appreciate it. You can reassure him that Dr. Foster and Miss Lewis will be back in New York soon, SHIELD will be privately flying them back and if Stark lets us we’re willing to bring them directly to the Tower instead of our closest airfield.”

“I’ll ask.” Natasha let a second pass before she casually added, “Anything else you want to talk about?”

“I tried calling Barton first and he didn’t answer. I’ll leave it up to you whether to be concerned about that.”

He didn’t react aside from looking slightly guilty and locking eyes with Natasha as her expression turned calculating. “He’s probably cooking dinner and distracted himself, I wouldn’t be too worried,” she explained before her voice took on a subtle edge. “Anything else?”

Maria quietly sighed. “Natasha, I get that you’re still pissed at me, but I can’t give you the apology you want. Even if it had only been my call for when to tell you and Barton about Coulson I can’t say I’d have done differently under the circumstances.”

Natasha pursed her lips. “It was seven fucking months, Maria,” she coldly said, her tone chill enough that Clint almost wanted to flinch.

“I never implied keeping both of you out of it was an easy decision for any of us,” Maria evenly replied without more than a second’s pause. “It was a necessary secret, not a willful one.” Before Natasha could reply she added, “I do need to get back to Dr. Foster and Miss Lewis, if you really want to take this out at me we can set up a time.”

Natasha noncommittally hummed even as she nodded in response to the questioning look Clint cast her. “I’ll consider it.”

“Keep me updated,” Maria matter-of-factly said before she ended the call.

Clint carefully watched Natasha start to lower her phone from her ear, her expression unchanging, before he said anything. “Kidnapping attempt?” he guessed.

She nodded and tucked her phone back away. “Sloppily, from the sound of it. They tried a grab on campus and Darcy managed to stop one of them with her taser.”

“To be fair,” Clint interjected, “she does have some practice with it.”

“We never would give her a chance to use it if we were kidnapping her,” Natasha countered without a pause. “It’s a sign of shitty planning or inexperience on top of the choice of location.”

He made a quiet sound of agreement before he arched his brows. “How are we actually going to keep Thor from flying straight to Berkeley?”

She shrugged with one shoulder. “Reason, hopefully. I doubt he’ll be too hotheaded.”

“Just rightfully concerned.” Clint intensely held her gaze, a mix of understanding and concern evident across his features, and reached to touch her arms. “But not that I don’t get the feeling, are we gonna talk about pushing at Maria like that or-?”

Natasha stopped him with a finger gently pressed to his lips, the barest hint of a warning in her expression. “Not now.”

He waited for her to withdraw her finger before he responded, his voice soft. “She’s not wrong that she’s not the only one we should be mad at.”

After a moment of tense silence Natasha marginally relaxed the set of her shoulders and broke eye contact as she murmured, “That’s the problem.”

Clint moved his hands up her arms and matched her tone as he spoke. “Tasha-.”

“Don’t,” she entreated in a tight whisper as she looked back up at him with a clear flash of frustration. “I’m not there yet. Let me be angry.”

He slowly nodded once, his gaze empathetic. “Okay.”

Natasha briefly hesitated before she maneuvered to hold his left hand and offered, “I’ll handle Thor if you talk to Tony and update Hill?”

“Can do.” He inclined his head in a loose gesture towards the half-prepared food. “Still good for dinner after?”

“Hopefully.” She held his gaze for a long moment before she let go of his hand and pulled away to start to turn towards the main suite door, only to stop after a few steps. “Clint,” she started to say without so much as a backwards glance, a brief clench of her hands the only clear indication of tension, “if Maria asks…”

“I’ll give her my honest opinion.”

Natasha exhaled. “Okay.”

--

In hindsight, Natasha was mildly grateful the leftover friction of the prior night had prompted her to sleep in her own bed as she woke up to the sound of her suite’s door bell.

She slipped out from under the covers with a curious frown and pulled on a sweatshirt over her pajama top en route to the door before answering.

Unexpectedly, Thor stood on the other side and politely beamed at her in greeting. “Natasha! I hope I am not bothering you at this hour but I, ah,” he held a plate of pancakes out to her, “may have made too many for Jane’s return and wanted to express my thanks for your patience with me last night.”

“Oh.” Natasha genuinely blinked before she gave the pancakes a casually appraising once-over. She did trust in his baking abilities enough to figure that the end product would turn out, but suspected he would soon start to experiment beyond the confines of a recipe if he hadn’t already for unknown results. “Thanks for the thought.”

He furrowed his brow in slight concern and tentatively asked, “Did I misjudge that you would enjoy pancakes?”

“I do,” she quickly reassured before he could continue into an unnecessary apology. “You’re just unexpected, but I do appreciate it.” In anticipation of another impending apology, she cut him off with a disarming smile and accepted the pancakes. “How do Jane and Darcy seem to be feeling?”

“They are well,” Thor told her, followed by an amused sound. “Darcy was very pleased to tell me how she tasered a man, and Jane, while concerned by the incident, seems more annoyed that she was unable to consult with one of the Berkeley professors after.” As he finished his expression sobered into pensive regard. “May I ask, have you heard any further information about why Jane and Darcy were targeted?”

“I haven’t been up long enough to check my messages,” Natasha patiently said, “but probably nothing new overnight.”

He sheepishly nodded. “Ah, that does make sense.” Without more than a moment’s pause Thor awkwardly gestured to excuse himself. “I apologize, I will not interrupt your morning any further.”

She adopted another smile. “Trust me, pancakes are far from the worst interruption, but thank you.”

“All the same.” Thor halfway turned to leave only to stop and searchingly look back at her. “Natasha, do you believe SHIELD will be forthcoming with the reason?”

She instantly debated a comforting lie but settled on a direct, “I’m not sure.”

Thor made a quiet sound of acknowledgement even as his expression fell. “Ah.” After a second he nodded again. “Thank you for your honesty.”

He left without any other questions, leaving Natasha to her thoughts as she ate and prepped for the day.

Unsurprisingly, there had been no updates from Maria, which Natasha took to mean there was no new information to share rather than personal reluctance on Maria’s part. As much as Natasha had definitely frustrated her, the deputy director could stay professional to the end when it mattered.

Not that Clint had been very forthcoming with any insight into her perspective. Over dinner Natasha hadn’t asked about their conversation in turn with Clint not pressing any further about her response to Maria, but the event had still hung heavy over the evening.

She almost hesitated to call it an argument over her response, knowing that he was also frustrated with the timing of revealing Coulson’s return, but in action it certainly felt close enough.

It didn’t help that the recent years had seen her grow more accustomed to having Clint’s support than ever before.

Natasha moodily blew out a breath to force herself out of spiraling further into frustration with Clint. Despite the disagreement she at least understood his intentions, she’d work it out with him and Maria when she was ready.

In the meantime, she elected to keep herself distracted with whatever documentary caught her interest on the TV and the beginning steps of a knitted pillow pattern to keep to herself for the rest of the morning.

She only managed about an hour into the activity before her phone buzzed with an incoming call, the name of the caller earning another curious frown from her before she answered. “Tony?”

“Hey,” he quickly said, an almost anxious undercurrent in his tone, “sounds like Roxxon and AIM finally replied, I’ve got legal to summarize what they sent over but I’m assuming you don’t want to sit face to face with the lawyers while they explain?”

“Not really.” Regardless of the situation aligning the Avengers’ interests with that of the Stark Industries legal team, she wasn’t any more trusting of giving them personal insight. From her own experiences she knew full well how legal agreements only motivated confidentiality so far under certain pressures.

“Sounds good.” Tony paused for an awkwardly long moment before he continued. “And just to be efficient I figure I’ll ask, are you and Barton by each other or-?”

Natasha casually but firmly cut him off. “We’re not.”

To Tony’s credit, he didn’t miss a beat for his reply. “Got it, I’ll call him next then. JARVIS should be with you in a sec to set up listening in.”

As the lawyers succinctly explained it, Roxxon and AIM were effectively threatening to publicly release security footage from the fight aboard the Norco that supposedly contained “sensitive identifying information.”

After the lawyers left with the promise that Tony and Pepper would loop them back in before any official decision on how to respond, the present Avengers convened again in the Stark Industries’ board room.

Clint had gotten there before Natasha, an all too familiar note of tension in how he held his shoulders that she suspected had more to do with how they had left things the previous night than concern over Roxxon and AIM’s demands, proven by the way he moderately relaxed when she unhesitatingly took the open seat beside him.

“So it doesn’t sound great,” Tony began after they had all settled around the table, Steve chiming in over the phone.

Clint nodded, his mouth set in a tight line. “It’s gotta be at least decent views of our faces, for one,” he flatly stated with a gesture between Natasha and himself before he folded his arms and leaned back in his chair.

“Could be a bluff,” Tony suggested, his tone betraying that he didn’t quite buy the idea even as he said it.

“Possibly,” Pepper agreed, “but it’s also a reasonable enough thing for them to have under the circumstances.”

Bruce broke into a thoughtful frown. “And not something they’d just get rid of regardless of whether we take accountability like they want.”

“How exactly do we think they would intend to use this blackmail against us?” Thor asked after a moment, his brow heavily furrowed in suspicion.

Tony blew out an uncertain breath and shrugged with an accompanying wave of his hand in a ‘who knows?’ gesture. “Hard to say, probably trying to at least use the Avengers to support their professional interests though, covering or helping with whatever projects that encompasses.”

“We can’t let that happen,” Steve commented with a clear undercurrent of frustration.

“Obviously,” Tony fervently said, “but, much as I hate to say it, they played this smart. We just need to figure the best way out of the corner and then we can tell them to go fuck themselves.”

Natasha resisted an amused huff at Tony’s phrasing and waited a few seconds to see if anyone had an immediate reply before she spoke. “Off the record, Clint and I can take care of the footage. We’ll just need you to buy us a little time on the record by starting and stalling negotiations over taking accountability.”

While Clint subtly raised his eyebrows in interest at the plan he had yet to be informed of, Pepper gracefully raised hers in question, her expression otherwise impassive. “Take care of the footage how?”

Natasha evenly held her gaze in calm challenge. “Are you asking for SI or for yourself?”

After a moment of clear deliberation Pepper nodded once in acknowledgement. “Fair point, just… be careful.”

“If you were to be caught-,” Steve started to say with concern, only to be cut off by Clint.

“Not our first time pulling a move like this, we’ll be fine,” he reassured.

Tony suspiciously narrowed his eyes. “We don’t even know what your plan is, and we have no idea where the footage actually is or how accessible it is. However many years of top secret super spy work you have, you still have to find it first.”

“Does anyone have a reasonable alternative plan on our current timetable?” Natasha pointedly countered.

“You are confident you would only need us to keep Roxxon and AIM’s attention?” Thor asked with a discerning glance between Natasha and Clint.

Clint unfolded his arms so he could shrug. “Should be enough to help, we’ll reach out if we’d need anything more direct. Just better to keep to the two of us since we know exactly what we’re doing.”
Before Tony could ask another question, he added, “Spy secrets. Takes away all the magic if we explain it to you.”

A smirk pulled at the corner of Natasha’s mouth as Tony rolled his eyes while Bruce simultaneously shifted in his seat to mask a quiet chuckle.

“Y’know,” Steve drily said, “that’s fair.” With only a second’s pause his voice turned serious. “Do we think legal will be supportive of opening negotiations, to cover Stark Industries as well?”

“I don’t foresee any issues.” Pepper looked around at everyone present in the room, her gaze lingering for a moment on Tony as her expression softened into something intimately understanding. “If this is how you’re all comfortable proceeding?”

Thor nodded once. “Aye.”

“Long as Clint and Natasha are really that confident they can pull this off,” Tony said without quite looking away from Pepper in an act of nonverbal communication.

Natasha politely looked away from watching the exchange to share a small, confident smile with Clint. “I wouldn’t worry.”

Chapter 53

Notes:

Look I know people are understanding of breaks but I SWEAR I did not intend to leave this without an update since last July, but that's what I get for fretting over a few sentences wayyy too much. With a busy semester ahead and a few other projects I do want to also knock out instead of continuing to push to the creative back burner I don't want to promise anything too soon for this but good news it should be not nearly as long a wait as I have not fretted as much over details for the next chapter!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Clint waited for the elevator doors to close and provide relative privacy before he angled towards Natasha and wryly asked, “Am I on track to guess the plan is to infiltrate the closest Roxxon building for a lead on that footage?”

She reached past him to press the button for his floor before hers. “Their HQ is in Chelsea, I figure even starting blind we can be in and out within a few hours.”

He nodded. “You thinking of risking a direct entrance?”

“I think we need to.” Before Clint could respond she added, “I’ll get a veil programmed for you, meet in twenty downstairs? Business cover.”

“Good thing I should still have a briefcase around for the usual tricks.”

The corners of Natasha’s mouth twitched up in a faint smile. “You’re still too proud you talked your way into keeping that.”

“Hey, it’s very practical,” he defended with an unapologetic grin in her direction before he sobered his voice and cast her a faintly concerned look. “Nat, we really sure about finding this on our own? Not like we usually go after something this sensitive from guesswork.”

She watched the floor numbers tick up as she drily replied, “Little late for the sentiment, Barton.”

A mildly frustrated sigh escaped him before he could think better of it. “I’m not talking about the Avengers. We-.”

“We can ask for help if we don’t find a solid lead,” she firmly said in interruption just as the elevator stopped for her floor, prompting Natasha to take a half step forward before she turned to him, her expression wholly guarded. “Clint-.”

He had steeled his own features into an inscrutable mask. “If that’s how you want to play it.”

They silently stared at each other for a couple weighted seconds before the elevator doors slid open, prompting Natasha to quietly ask, “Are we good?”

“Good enough,” he said without breaking eye contact, a rough note to his voice. “See you in twenty.”

She waited another moment before she turned away to wordlessly step off the elevator.

It was only when the doors closed that Clint let out another frustrated sigh and leaned back on the wall behind him. “Fuck,” he exhaled, briefly drawing out the word.

He just hoped the footage didn’t make the day any messier.

--

After barely talking to each other outside of strictly necessary communication on the way to Roxxon HQ, Clint was just glad they hadn’t needed to get too creative to con their way into the building.

In a lucky twist of circumstance, the security guard in the lobby had seemed more interested in reading a physics textbook than confirming them as employees and the resident legal team had apparently all gone out to lunch, leaving their workstations open for investigation.

Natasha made short work of breaking into one of the computers while Clint discreetly kept watch outside the office as she rooted around on the network and turned up an email chain discussing the Norco footage.

“We’re heading back to Miami,” she informed him in a murmur when she slipped out of the office. “Sounds like they haven’t uploaded any copies to a non-local network.”

Clint made a rueful sound beneath his breath as he fell into step beside her. “Interesting decision.”

“They thought it was the safer option,” Natasha nonchalantly said.

“Least their mistake makes our life easier.” He held the door to the closest ground floor access stairwell open for her as they opted for the fastest route to leave the building. “Head back and figure out something for last minute air transport?”

He figured it’d be better not to suggest reaching out to Hill in the moment.

“I’ll call in a favor,” she said after she looked down the middle of the stairwell and listened for signs of anyone else using it, “shouldn’t take more than a couple hours to get us in the air.”

Bolstered by the calm of their back and forth, Clint couldn’t help a note of teasing in his voice. “Is that really going to be a favor or adding to a tab?”

She glanced back at him with a coy smile. “He shouldn’t have to work too hard to set up something local quickly and it’s low risk, it’ll be fine.” Amusement colored her voice. “Are you really worried about my credit with Mason?”

“Just curious to see what he does,” Clint innocently said.

“Subtle, Barton,” Natasha drily said before she took another quick look back at him, her expression back to being all business. “I’m considering asking for a designated pilot, but I’m not hopeful.”

“Eh, we’ll make whatever work.” He waited a beat before he added, “Probably a long shot but any chance of getting building plans, you think?”

“I’ll ask, but-.” Natasha immediately stopped at the sound of a door opening somewhere below them in the stairwell and accompanying friendly chatter from several individuals, their unexpected arrival enough to prompt Clint and Natasha to stop in place as they waited to gauge which direction the newcomers were headed in.

“-sister tried that new place by Julian’s, Brubaker’s Bakery? She said it was pretty good and really liked their cruller.”

“Ooh, I wonder if they do a good old-fashioned.”

“Oh my god, you’re such a donut nerd!” someone laughed.

“Hey, it’s not my fault you only pay attention to the stereotypical donut and miss out on the rest.” With joking vehemence, the speaker added, “And I bet you only eat glazed.”

“Bavarian cream is actually my favorite, so…”

Clint and Natasha exchanged a communicative glance as it became evident the newcomers were ascending towards them and silently agreed to continue down, Clint purposefully jangling his briefcase as they fell back into step.

The donut conversation continued without so much as a pause at the indication of their presence and the newcomers politely ignored Clint and Natasha as they passed each other.

He waited until they had exited the building before he quietly asked, “You opposed if I give the team an update on what we need for time while you talk transport?”

Natasha stopped to directly face Clint and held his gaze, her own softening in understanding. “No,” she said in a matching tone. “Reassure them that we only need through tomorrow?”

He nodded once. “On it.”

--

Unsurprisingly, Mason had only been able to arrange for a plane and the promise of some sort of suitable ground transport in Miami, though he had been certain to warn Natasha that even getting the plane within a couple hours was a stroke of luck given her “obscenely short” notice.

As convenient as a pilot could’ve made the trip, a part of Clint was admittedly grateful that they had to occupy part of the time with flight permissions and keeping on course as he debated how serious a conversation he wanted to have in lieu of being able to do much advance planning for infiltrating the Roxxon building.

Probably every therapist he had ever seen would recommend just talking and at least laying things out, but then none of those therapists had ever had to work side by side with Natasha when she was frustrated and he really didn’t want to throw them off balance to any degree when they were already operating at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, he was admittedly a little antsy about that disadvantage knowing they could have at least called in a few favors to make it less of a surprise if it hadn’t become a matter of pride.

Which he understood, really, he just didn’t-

“You’re thinking too loudly,” Natasha finally remarked to break him out of his thoughts.

Clint thoughtfully hesitated on a response for a moment before he sighed, slightly letting his shoulders fall with the exhale. “Not sure that now’s the time.”

She kept her gaze focused on the sky in front of them. “Probably,” she stated with a nod of acknowledgement in his direction, “but we’re both getting distracted when we shouldn’t be, so I think some confrontation is in order.”

“I don’t want to fight right now-.”

“It won’t be a fight,” she encouragingly replied, her tone almost a touch too forcefully optimistic.

At the comment Clint cast her a vaguely incredulous side look. “Natasha, it’s already been one. How are you really expecting this conversation to go after that?”

She angled to unflinchingly meet his gaze. “Tell me why you’re not still pissed over keeping us in the dark.”

Clint blew out a long breath before he replied. “I am still pissed, but honestly, you’ve kept me from wallowing in it. Pair that with genuinely being apologetic but prioritizing SHIELD over just us and the fact that we’re not even really active duty anymore… I don’t like it, but I guess I’ve accepted why it was the call they made.” He questioningly raised his brows. “What changed for you?”

“I wondered how much longer they would have waited if we wouldn’t have agreed to training,” Natasha said, a touch of sadness softening her voice. “Whether it would have gone any differently if we hadn’t joined the team.”

“And Maria feels like more of a betrayal?” he prompted.

Natasha looked away to adjust a knob on a control panel. “Something like that.”

They let a comfortable silence hold for a long moment before Clint asked, “Is it more that she knew for seven months or that we weren’t let into the circle for that long?”

She pressed her lips together and glanced back at him. “Do you really need to ask?”

Clint shook his head once. “I understand how she’s the easiest to be mad at, but,” he lightened his tone, “I don’t think Fury would be surprised if finally having that follow up conversation involved some stronger frustrations.”

Natasha barely inclined her head in acknowledgement. “Maybe.” She fractionally adjusted the same knob again without quite looking away from Clint, her gaze discerning. “Are we good?”

“Yeah,” he said with a nod, “we’re better.”

Notes:

Very minor thing but let the record show I did not come up with Brubaker's Bakery, I simply borrowed that from the Avengers Assemble show because I think it's hilarious.