Actions

Work Header

Breaking the Code

Chapter 32: Forgiveness

Summary:

*throws open door* I'm baaack! Did ya miss me? ;) JK.

So, remember those mean Masters back like a bunch of chapters ago? Yeah, I finally resolve that plot point. I wasn't planning on it, to be honest, but I had a few requests and questions about it so I decided to address it. Better late than never, right? Anyways, the mean Masters, Obi-Wan, and Iyla face the Council, forgiveness is given, consequences are issued, and the Council is soft and indulgent of a 4-year-old. Masters Jakkun and Farloff also experience the innocent mercy and kindness that only children can give.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Iyla was confused when she saw her Papa in the crèche just after noon meal. It couldn’t be time for her to leave already. She still had some meditation classes and Force lessons to do. And a lot more playing to do with her friends also. She watched curiously as her Papa talked with Master Alann who nodded and turned to seek her out in the big playroom. He locked eyes with her and pointed so her Papa could find her.

“Papa?” Iyla asked with a confused head tilt. “Why you here? It’s too early.”

“It is early, darling, you’re right. But I’m here because we have an appointment,” he replied.

“A poitment? Wif the healer? Do I gots to get more nacanashins?” she asked looking nervous.

“No, dear, not with the healers. And no more vaccinations. We have an appointment with the Council actually,” Obi-Wan answered.

“The cowsul?” she asked, eyebrows furrowed. “Why we go to the cowsul?”

“I’m actually not quite sure. They just told me to come get you because the next meeting involved both of us,” he said as he went to pick up Iyla’s bag from her cubby.

“Are we in twouble?” Iyla asked as they left the crèche and said goodbye to Master Alann.

“I don’t think so. I don’t remember doing anything wrong recently.”

“Are you sure? Did you mess wif the dwoids again or take more tea?” Iyla sassed.

Obi-Wan looked down at her, surprised by her tongue-in-cheek response. But then remembered her parentage and realized it wasn’t so surprising after all.

“No. Did you paint more cushions or feed carrot sticks to bugs again?” he sassed back at her.

Iyla playfully stuck her tongue out at him and giggled when he made a face at her too.

“I wonder why they wanna see us, Papa. Maybe they wanna give me a pwesent acause I’m so cute and speshul,” Iyla teased.

“Or they want to give me a present for dealing with such a sassy and stubborn little girl.”

“No, I fink it’s acause I gots a cwazy and silly Papa and they feel bad.”

“Crazy? I’m crazy, huh? I’ll show you crazy!” Obi-Wan said playfully wiggling his fingers. He reached down to pick her up and tickled her mercilessly.

Iyla squealed and laughed as her sides and neck were attacked by her Papa who was laughing right along with her. The pair was certainly attracting attention in the hallways, some good and some bad. Obi-Wan couldn’t find it in himself to care about the glares he was getting because of the noise and excessive display of emotion. All that mattered was the warmth and light emanating from his little girl and the way the Force sang along with her laughter.

Iyla’s giggles and Obi-Wan’s bright smile continued even after they entered the lobby to the Council Chambers. Their smiles immediately dropped though when they saw who was waiting for them in the room. Iyla’s arms tightened around her Papa’s shoulders and she tensed up. Obi-Wan drew in a sharp breath and tried to push down his rising anger.

Masters Jakkun and Farloff were standing in the center of the room looking impassively at them as they entered. Iyla began to shake in Obi-Wan’s arms and her breathing quickened.

“Come in, Obi-Wan,” Mace said from his seat. “We have some things to discuss.”

Obi-Wan nodded and went to set Iyla down at his feet but she resisted and whimpered. He looked at her, concerned, and saw tears welling in her eyes.

“Darling?” he asked.

“We…we gonna get frowed out, Papa? The cowsul gonna make us leave?” she asked shakily.

Obi-Wan put her down but kept an arm around her waist and ran a hand through her curls. “No, little one. They aren’t going to throw us out. It’s ok,” he soothed.

Iyla bit her lip and looked at the Council members sitting around her. She didn’t seem to believe him but she nodded and sniffled to get herself under control. Obi-Wan stood up and drew Iyla back against him as he rubbed circles on her still trembling shoulders.

“Masters,” he said, bowing to his fellow Council members and, reluctantly, to the two Masters in the center of the room.

“We meant to have this meeting sooner,” Ki-Adi Mundi said. “And we apologize for getting to this matter so late.”

Obi-Wan gave a nod and inclined his head politely. “If anyone understands the hectic schedule of the Council, Master Mundi, it is me,” he smiled.

Master Mundi smiled back. “Yes, well, it was brought to our attention, by a few people, that there was an incident in the Room of a Thousand Fountains that involved Masters Jakkun and Farloff as well as Iyla and yourself.”

“Yes, Master. I came into the situation late, but from what Master Skywalker told me, Masters Jakkun and Farloff were expressing their frustration with the new Code and changing ideals of the Order.”

“Yes, they have both been telling us about their grievances. Extensively,” Master Billaba spoke up somewhat annoyed.

“Involved in the incident, how were you?” Yoda asked.

“I was looking for Iyla after she didn’t make it back to the crèche from the gardens. Masters Skywalker and Alann were assisting me in searching for her. I arrived at the scene of the incident to hear Anakin and Master Farloff arguing. Master Farloff remarked that Iyla needed to ‘learn her place,’ and Master Jakkun chided her for being emotional. Mind you, this was after several minutes of berating and harassing her. I stepped in when Master Jakkun remarked that I was flaunting my mistakes for all to see. At that point it was clear to me that their problem was with my behavior and they were simply taking it out on a toddler,” Obi-Wan said, his calm voice from earlier taking on an icy edge.

“There were extenuating circumstances for our discussion with the child. We don’t just seek out younglings to ‘berate and harass,’ as Master Kenobi said,” Master Jakkun replied.

“Ah, yes, the incident where a 3-year-old accidentally ran into you and stepped on your cloak. Are those the extenuating circumstances you are referring to, Master Jakkun?” Kit Fisto asked.

“I’ve seen you with the girl, Fisto. You’re letting your personal feelings get in the way of the truth,” Jakkun replied.

“Respect you will show to the members of this Council, Master Jakkun,” Yoda said sternly.

“My apologies, Master,” Jakkun replied.

“Now, the Masters have already given us their account, and considering you came in late to the situation, Obi-Wan, there is little more you can provide for us. I think it is time for Iyla to talk to us about it,” Mace said.

“Would you mind answering some questions for us, little one?” Plo asked her gently.

Iyla anxiously eyed the two older Masters standing a few feet away then looked up at Obi-Wan warily. Obi-Wan nodded at her and gave her shoulder a comforting squeeze.

“Ok, Masser Koom,” Iyla agreed.

“Thank you, Iyla,” Plo smiled. “Can you tell us what happened in the garden that day? I know it’s been a while and you might have forgotten, but try your best.”

“I not forgetted. I member,” Iyla replied.

“Very good, little Iyla. Go ahead and start,” Plo said while sending her calming feelings through the Force.

“I falled on Masser Jag…Jack…him,” she pointed to Jakkun, “acause I was twying to catched a buvverfy. I not listen to Masser Al-an to go back to the cwush acause I sawed the pwetty colors on the buvverfy and I never sawed one afore. But I shoulda goed back wif the uver kids,” Iyla said, lowering her eyes in shame.

“Yes, you should have, little one, but it was an honest mistake. One that I’m sure Master Alann has already taken care of,” Depa said.

“Yes, Masser Blababa. He talked wif me ‘bout it.”

“Good, now, you said you fell on Master Jakkun? What happened after that?” Depa asked.

“The Masser got mad and telled me I’m not popurd acause I was ‘stracted by a bug. He said he was gonna talk wif Masser Al-an ‘bout me being bad. Then he telled me to go back to the cwush but I not knowed how to get back acause I always gots a grown-up wif me when I go. And then I telled them ‘bout my Papa and they gots vewy mad.”

“How did they get mad, Iyla?” Kit asked.

“I telled them my Papa is Obee Kemmobi and they said he broked the rules. Then they…they said I not belong here and Papa should of gots in twouble acause he chained the Code. And…and that we need to be f-frowed out the t-tepol,” Iyla said now starting to sniffle.

“Was there anything else, little one?” Master Mundi asked.

“No…well, I not fink so or I not member. Unka A’kin comed and I was scawed and sad so I goed to him. Then Unka A’kin and Papa and Masser Alann and the uver Massers talked ‘bout fings and they was all really mad but I not listening acause I was hiding in Unka A’kin’s robe to be safe.”

“Thank you for telling us what happened, Iyla, you have been very helpful,” Kit praised.

“Welcome, Masser Fiso,” Iyla said with a shy smile.

“Heard enough of the story, we have. Time to discuss, we need,” Master Yoda said. “Wait in the lobby you will,” he pointed with his pointy green finger to the waiting area outside the chambers.

“Yes, Master,” Obi-Wan, Jakkun, and Farloff all said with a bow. Iyla bowed as well and latched on to Obi-Wan’s hand as she followed him out the doors.

Thankfully the lobby was large enough that Obi-Wan and Iyla didn’t have to sit anywhere near Jakkun and Farloff. Which was good because Obi-Wan was having a difficult time trying to keep his cool and not let his anger take over. It took a large amount of self-control for him not to march over to the two Masters and really give it to them. The nervous little one in his lap kept him firmly in place though. He could feel her worries and lingering fear over seeing the Masters again and her uncertainty that they weren’t about to be thrown out of the temple. Obi-Wan stroked a hand over her back in a soothing motion and sent peace and reassurance to her Force signature.

After about 15 minutes Masters Jakkun and Farloff were called back into the room. They each gave pointed looks to Obi-Wan and Iyla as they left the lobby. Obi-Wan met their eyes and narrowed his own in a silent challenge. Both Masters scoffed and raised their chins haughtily as they turned away.

The meeting with Masters Jakuun and Farloff and the Council seemed to drag on forever. Obi-Wan could hear raised voices from inside and was grateful he didn’t have to be in there to listen to those insufferable old men drone on about their self-righteous ideals and their petty anger. Iyla grew very bored as they waited and was now dozing a bit on his lap. He hoped they’d get called in soon or he’d have to deal with a half-awake and cranky 4-year-old and he didn’t want to subject the Council to that.

At minute 20 he could tell Iyla was getting antsy, even as she tried to doze. Either that or she needed the ‘fresher. The constant shifting could be any number of things, really. Little kids were not the best at waiting, especially with nothing to occupy them. Obi-Wan tried his best to help her get comfortable and settled down as another five minutes went by. Of course, right as Kit came in to tell them they were ready for them, Iyla whined about the ‘fresher and started bouncing. Obi-Wan gave Kit an exasperated look and the Nautolan Master just smiled.

“I’ll tell the Council you’ll be in in a moment,” he chuckled.

Obi-Wan thanked him and ushered Iyla off to a small ‘fresher down the hall.

They returned to the Council Chamber a few minutes later to a scowling Jakkun and Farloff, clearly very annoyed at having to wait for them.

“Apologies, Masters,” Obi-Wan said politely. “We needed a quick ‘fresher visit. Forty minutes is quite a long time for a 4-year-old,” he explained.

“Not a problem, Obi-Wan, we understand,” Depa smiled.

“Now, back to business. Master Jakkun and Farloff have been briefed by the Council on how we wish to handle this incident and it’s time we briefed you as well,” Mace said.

Iyla gripped Obi-Wan’s hand hard and started chewing on her bottom lip. Her fear and apprehension were leaking out into the Force around the room.

“Scared you are, young one?” Yoda turned to address her.

“Y-Yes, Masser Yoba,” she replied.

“Why?” he asked.

“Acause…acause I not want Papa and me to get frowed out. Acause he broked the Code and has tashmens. That’s bidden for Jedi,” she replied, swallowing nervously.

“There is no need to worry, little one. The Code has been changed and you and your Papa are not in any trouble. Attachments were forbidden under the old rules, but the new rules allow them,” Plo explained.

“So Papa and me not gonna be frowed out?”

“No, little one,” Plo reassured.

Iyla gave a visible sigh of relief and leaned back against Obi-Wan’s side. Some chuckles rose up among the Councilors at the little girl’s actions.

“Now that that is cleared up, may we hear the Council’s decision?” Obi-Wan asked, very much wanting to leave and get away from the sneering Masters standing not too far from them.

“Of course. The Council has decided that Masters Jakkun and Farloff were out of line in their confrontation of Iyla. Taking their frustrations out on a child is very unbefitting of a Jedi Master,” Adi Gallia spoke up. “Younglings are to be valued and nurtured and not involved in the affairs of their elders.”

Jakkun and Farloff at least had the decency to look away guiltily.

“We have decided that an apology should be issued to Iyla for causing her unnecessary distress and for telling her she does not belong among the Jedi. It is the Council who makes such judgements, not Jedi Masters who believe their ideas are superior,” Kit said. His usual laid-back and joyful persona now gone in his protectiveness of the little one in the room.

Yoda cleared his throat and looked pointedly at Jakkun and Farloff before inclining his head towards Iyla.

Master Farloff reacted first and turned to face her. “I apologize, young one, for my actions that day in the garden. My words were cruel and spoken out of anger. As a Jedi Master, I must have control of my emotions. I will work to correct this oversight in myself for the future,” he said then gave her a deep bow.

Jakkun was next. “I too, would like to offer my apologies. I should not have said what I did and I should not have taken my anger out on one so young. My own disagreement with the Code had nothing to do with you and I regret my terrible lack of self-control.” He gave her a bow as well then went back to his stoic stance from earlier.

Iyla stared at both of them wide-eyed and nodded.

“What say you, young Iyla?” Yoda asked.

“I…I forgib them,” she answered.

“So quickly and easily?” Saesee Tiin asked.

“Jedi are ‘sposed to forgib,” she answered. “That’s what Masser Tewwul says.”

“Do you not feel anger towards them, child?” Master Tiin asked again.

“Maybe a little bit. But they said sowwy, which is a nice fing to do.”

“You are very kind to forgive them so easily of their bad treatment of you, little one,” Master Mundi replied with a smile.

“But they not bad, Masser…”

“Mundi,” he supplied.

“Masser Moody. They was just noddy. That’s a word my Papa teached me. Bad means that they bad people, but acause they say sowwy then they not all bad. They still good people but they did somefing noddy. Like when I had a tadrum in the Fowsan Fownans. Papa said I’m not a bad girl, I just acted noddy. So Masser Jaggun and Falloff was just noddy too, not bad.”

The Council members all looked at each other with impressed smiles.

“A very forgiving and insightful point of view,” Plo replied.

“Forgive the Masters for being naughty, you do?” Yoda asked, ear twitching in amusement. Iyla nodded emphatically at him. “Hmm, for naughty behavior, a punishment is required,” he finished.

Iyla’s eyes went wide and she started to shake her head.

“No?” Master Yoda asked. “No punishment?”

“I not want the Massers to get huwt,” Iyla replied.

“Why would the Masters get hurt, little one?” Shaak Ti asked.

“Acause a punishment means you get huwt. That’s what Missus Huber teached me. Like when she frowed me to the wall or not give me food. Or taked my arm and squeeze it vewy hawd when she yelled. Punishments are always huwty,” Iyla answered with big eyes.

The room went silent at the little girl’s reasoning and a hint of sadness permeated the chamber. Even Masters Jakkun and Farloff looked disturbed by her words.

“Did your father not give you a punishment when you were naughty, young one?” Master Billaba asked.

“No, he gived me a cosakeze. He said a cosakeze is fair and pwopeeit. It ‘sposed to make me fink ‘bout my bahavoor and learn to do bettew next time. A cosakeze is not scawy or huwty like a punishment,” Iyla explained. “So…so maybe the Massers have a cosakeze instead?” she asked with imploring blue eyes.

“I like that idea, Iyla, and I agree,” Mace replied with a gentle smile. “Masters Jakkun and Farloff will have a consequence instead of a punishment. One that is fair and appropriate and not painful, correct?”

“Yes, Masser Window.”

“Have a consequence to suggest, do you, young Iyla?” Master Yoda asked.

“Well…” Iyla said thinking deeply. She brought her hand up to stroke her chin and narrowed her eyes in contemplation. She looked so much like Obi-Wan when he was in thought that many of the Council members had to stifle their laughter. Obi-Wan smiled as well at the likeness.

Iyla took a moment to look at Masters Jakkun and Farloff then went right back to thinking. “Well, when I was noddy, Papa said I not ‘llowed to go to the Fowsan Fownans for a few days. I also had to get a time-out and go to bed early. Oh, and no bezert.”

“Those are all appropriate consequences for misbehavior,” Kit agreed.

“So, maybe the Massers gots to get a time-out and no bezert and no Fowsan Fownans? I not fink they go to bed early acause they grown-ups and grown-ups go to bed when they wannna.”

Obi-Wan couldn’t help the smile on his face as he watched Jakkun and Farloff sputter and go red when Iyla suggested a time-out and no dessert for their punishment. He knew enough about his mischievous fellow Council members to know that they’d take the 4-year-old’s words seriously and come up with the adult equivalent of a time-out and would probably follow through on the no dessert thing also. He stood back and watched with some excitement.

“Hmm, time away from the Room of a Thousand Fountains, you suggest?” Yoda asked.

“Yes, Masser Yoba. Papa said acause I not act good in the gawden that I not go there for a few days til I learn to be bettew.”

“Makes sense, this does,” Yoda nodded.

“Perhaps extra meditation time with a Council member would fit nicely as a ‘time-out,’” Plo suggested trying to hide his amusement.

“Yes, you both mentioned your regret and lack of self-control. Mediation is the perfect way to correct this,” Mace smirked.

“And the no dessert?” Kit asked, amused.

“Just what it sounds like. No dessert,” Depa replied. “Neither Masters Jakkun or Farloff will be allowed to have any dessert at dinner for the next three days,” she smirked.

Master Farloff scoffed. “This is ridiculous. This Council is taking punishment advice from a child. Have you all lost your minds?”

“It’s a consequence, Master Farloff,” Shaak Ti replied. “And why shouldn’t the child who was wronged be the one to decide your fate?  Would you rather the Council come up with a better solution?”

“I can assure you, Masters,” Obi-Wan said. “That I would not be so lenient in my choice of consequences.”

“Nor would I,” said Plo Koon.

“Nor I,” Depa agreed.

Master Farloff wisely shut his mouth and backed off. Iyla studied his face and frowned.

“It’s ok, Masser Falloff. Papa says we not gonna like our cosakezes but we not ‘sposed to like it so it can help us member to not be noddy again. And a cosakeze is only for a few days, not fowever. You be back to eating bezert vewy soon,” Iyla replied in a reassuring tone.

“The youngling is correct. This will be a great way to help improve your behavior and prevent anymore naughty incidents in the future,” Mace smiled wickedly.

Masters Jakkun and Farloff did not look amused but did not argue any further.

“Accept these consequences, do you?” Yoda asked.

The two Masters gave each other a resigned look.

“Very kind and forgiving the little one has been. Fair and lenient her consequences are. Such mercy among many adults, you will not find,” Yoda replied, giving them an expectant look.

Master Jakkun nodded and bowed his head in respect. “I accept,” he said looking pained at the words coming from his mouth.

“I accept,” Farloff said with a bow as well.

“Very well. You may leave. Your meditation will start tomorrow at 8 am, you will find another garden to frequent for the next three days, and you will take no dessert at dinner. Is this clear?” Mace asked.

Both Masters nodded.

“Good. Dismissed you are,” Yoda said.

The Masters bowed respectfully to the Council then hesitated and bowed to Obi-Wan as well, understanding that he too was a member of the Council even if he wasn’t in his seat currently.

“Bye-bye Masser Jaggun! Bye Masser Falloff! May the Fowce be wif you!” Iyla said cheerfully as she waved at them.

The Masters stopped in their tracks and looked curiously at the smiling girl, no longer afraid of them or angry at their behavior, but instead wishing them well. With puzzled expressions they bowed to Iyla as well and gave her a small wave before leaving the room.

Obi-Wan ruffled Iyla’s hair and gave her a proud smile. “I’m proud of you for being so brave and kind, little one,” he praised.

“Fank you, Papa. I hope the Massers are not too sad ‘bout their cosakeze. I was vewy sad when I not able to go to the gawden,” she replied. Then her eyes lit up. “Maybe I can give them some fowers from the gawden so they not miss it so much. And they can have them during mentanation so they can be happy and fink bettew. Acause the Fowce is in evy living fing. Like Masser Fiso said.”

“That I did, Iyla. Very good memory,” Kit praised.

Iyla ducked her head shyly. “Fank you.” She turned to Obi-Wan. “Can we pick fowers for the Massers, Papa?” she asked.

“Yes, little one,” he replied with a smile. “After your nap.”

Iyla’s face fell and a pout started to form on her lips. “But Papaaaa,” she whined.

“Nuh-uh. You skipped your nap in the crèche to come to this meeting.”

“But I’m not even seepy, not one bit,” Iyla replied.

“You were practically falling asleep on my lap in the lobby, dear,” Obi-Wan said with a raised eyebrow.

Iyla waved him off. “That was afore. ‘Sides pwetty soon I’m gonna be a nishit and I not need naps no more.”

“You’re going to be a what?” Obi-Wan asked wide-eyed.

“A nishit, Papa,” Iyla said.

“What…where did you hear that word?” Obi-Wan asked.

“From Masser Al-an,” Iyla said, looking confused at her Papa’s questions.

“What exactly did Master Alann say, little one?” Kit asked with a smirk.

“He said after we get bigger we not gonna be cwushlings no more, we gonna be nishits. Like Moweck. He’s gonna be seven soon and then he’s gonna be a nishit. Good ridins!” Iyla said waving a hand away as if pushing Moreck from the crèche herself.

“An initiate?” Master Mundi asked, looking amused.

“Yeah, that’s what I said. A nishit. You not be a nishit til you seven, but I stop naptime when I’m five. And I’m fouw now so pwetty soon I not need naps no more,” Iyla explained.

“Oh, dear. That’s a word we’ll have to work on,” Obi-Wan said. “Definitely a case of speech impediment gone wrong.”

Several Councilors chuckled at the mispronunciation and unintentional cursing from the innocent little one.

“I not say nishit right, Papa?”

“Not quite, little one. But it’s ok. We have some time to work on it. Just like you have some time before you don’t need naps anymore.” He said with a raised eyebrow.

Iyla simply shrugged and turned away from him. Obi-Wan watched in amusement as something across the room caught her eye and she abandoned her bargaining for no nap in favor of exploring it.

“Is this your chair for the cowsul, Papa?” she asked as she approached the plush red chair.

“Yes, that is Master Kenobi’s chair,” Adi Gallia smiled at her.

“Cool!” Iyla said, starting to climb on to it. “I’m Papa now!” she exclaimed with a wide smile.

Depa decided to play along with the little girl. “Well, hello, Master Kenobi. So nice of you to join us today.”

“Depa, don’t encourage her,” Obi-Wan said with an eyeroll.

Iyla lowered her voice and took on her Papa’s accent. “Hello cowsul people, Masser Kemmobi is here ready for the meeting. What’s our ‘scushin ‘bout today?”

“Don’t we have other meetings to get to without indulging a 4-year-old?” Obi-Wan asked.

“No, we’re actually done for the day. And you will ask permission before you address the Council, sir,” Kit teased.

“What? Kit!”

“Respek you will show the mebers of the cowsul, Obee Kemmobi,” Iyla replied, leveling him with a stern and disappointed stare.

The entire room burst out in laughter at the girl’s imitation of Master Yoda earlier in the meeting. Yoda’s cackle was the loudest of all. Obi-Wan smiled affectionately at her and folded his arms.

“Well I apologize, Master Kenobi, for my disrespect,” he bowed to her.

“Perhaps Obi-Wan needs a consequence for his disrespect of the Council,” Plo spoke up.

Obi-Wan gave the Master a betrayed look and a glare.

“What do you think, young one?” Master Mundi asked with a smirk.

“Hmm,” Iyla said, once again bringing a hand to her chin to stroke her non-existent beard. “I fink Obee Kemmobi gots to eat estra vegerbles at dinner and go to bed early.”

“Then you’ll be going to bed early with me,” Obi-Wan pointed out.

“No, I’m too ‘portent. I gots lotsa meetings for the cowsul. So I not have to take a nap too. Acause I’m too busy.”

“Oh really, because I thought I heard Master Fiso just say that the Council was done with meetings for the day. Which means you should be available to take a nap now, Master Kenobi,” Obi-Wan countered.

Iyla scrunched her brow and pursed her lips in a scowl then folded her arms much like Obi-Wan was currently doing. The Council Chamber was quiet as each Councilor watched the Kenobi versus Kenobi battle of wills eagerly.

Neither Kenobi was backing down in their “scowl off” and instead seemed to double down on their frowns. Both parties then raised their eyebrows and tilted their heads in challenge to each other.

“Grown-up cowsul people not need naps,” Iyla replied, raising her chin.

“Is that so?” Obi-Wan asked.

“Yes, it’s uncilv…unvili…uncillivised,” she replied.

Depa covered her laugh with a fake cough and Obi-Wan glared at her.

“Hmm, pity. I was planning on going to the sweet shop in the markets after taking a nap. But I guess if there’s no nap…”

Iyla’s eyes widened and she sat up in the seat. “Sweet shop?” she asked.

“Yes, I was thinking that a certain little girl deserves some sweets for her bravery and kindness, but, seeing as she is not here and naps are uncivilized, I guess the sweet shop is--”

“Wait!”

“Yes, Master Kenobi?” Obi-Wan asked expectantly.

“Maybe…maybe a small nap not be too bad. Even if I not tiii--” Iyla cut off in a big yawn.

“Not tired? Is that what you were going to say before you yawned?” Obi-Wan teased.

“Blast,” Iyla muttered in perfect imitation of her Papa’s accent.

Obi-Wan laughed heartily as he picked her up and settled her on his hip. “Come along, Councilor Kenobi. Time for a nap.”

“You nap too, Papa?” she asked, laying her head on his shoulder.

“We’ll see,” he replied.

“But Papa, if you not have a nap, you not have sweets, right?” Iyla asked, a mischievous hint in her voice as her eyes flashed pure innocence.

“Checkmate,” Mace said with a smirk.

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes. “Incorrigible, all of you,” he muttered.

“Might as well start enjoying the taste of your own medicine, my friend,” Kit said as he stood up.

“I have a feeling this is just the beginning,” Plo chuckled as he patted him on the back.

The group of Councilors all stood and started for the door, each one teasing and bumping Obi-Wan’s shoulder playfully as they passed. Yoda used his gimer stick to whack his shin.

“Off to bed with you, Kenobis, or no sweets you will have,” the little green Master cackled.

Iyla sighed happily and rubbed her face against Obi-Wan’s beard. “I hope they gots gummy sabers,” she mumbled sleepily.

Obi-Wan chuckled and started for the door. “No, no, my dear. It’s all about the caff cream truffles. Or the muja filled fudge.”

“Muja fudge!” Iyla exclaimed. “Why you not tell me ‘bout this afore?”

“Because there was only one left and I wanted it,” he smirked.

“Papa!” Iyla said indignantly.

“Relax, little one. I’ll get you some this time. And if there’s only one left, I promise to share.”

“Good. Shawing is cawing. That’s what Masser Al-an says. Esept when Nawi and Flynn twied to share milk wif each uver. Masser Al-an said that’s not the right kind of shawing. Acause of germs.”

“Sharing germs is not caring. Master Alann is right,” Obi-Wan agreed with an amused chuckle.

“But shawing fudge is ok?”

“Yes, sharing fudge is ok,” Obi-Wan replied.

“Good,” Iyla mumbled sleepily in his ear.

________________________________________________________

Three days later Masters Jakkun and Farloff were seen in the Room of a Thousand Fountains talking and sitting under one of the big trees. They watched the younglings around them with mild interest but kept their distance and opinions to themselves. They learned their lesson about approaching younglings and had suffered hours of meditation and no dessert for it. They couldn’t help feeling like they were being watched though and they looked around warily in case a lurking Council member was keeping a close eye on them.

After the fifth time looking up and around in suspicion, Master Farloff spotted a tiny strawberry blonde head peeking out at them from behind a tree trunk a few feet away. The head disappeared quickly when he made eye contact. Farloff quietly gestured to Jakkun to get his attention then tilted his head toward the tree with a smirk. Jakkun followed his gaze and also saw the small head spying on them.

“The Kenobi girl?” Jakkun asked suspiciously. “What could she want? Making sure we aren’t violating her imposed consequences? Looking to take away our dignity again?”

Master Farloff hushed him. “Quiet, Jakkun. Do you want a Councilor to hear and think we learned nothing? I for one do not want to have to suffer through anymore meditation sessions with Master Yoda. His taste in tea is deplorable,” he shuddered.

“Yes, alright, I see your point. It was humiliating not to be able to eat my favorite pie the other day. Master Windu was practically staring me down as I went past the dessert table,” Master Jakkun replied.

“If the girl approaches, we must be pleasant and courteous. We cannot provoke her anymore. Plus, she was very forgiving and kind despite how we treated her,” Farloff said.

“She was naïve. But I do agree that she does not deserve rudeness. I will be cordial to the child if she approaches,” Jakkun agreed.

The two Masters continued to sit and talk idly, all the while keeping a look out for the girl who was still watching them. She seemed to be working up the courage to talk to them based on the way she kept coming out from behind the tree then retreating again and peeking out.

Finally it seemed that she summoned enough bravery and they waited silently for her to come to them. Each Master pretended not to be paying attention, not wanting to startle her and very much curious about the reason for her visit.

“Um…eskuse me, M-Massers?” the girl stuttered from where she stopped a few feet away.

“Yes, young one?” Master Farloff replied, turning to face her.

She gave a respectful bow but stood nervously in their presence. Her hands were twisting in her sleeves and her bottom lip was between her teeth.

“I am sowwy for asturbing you, b-but I wanna give you somefing,” she said.

“Give us something? Whatever for, child?” Master Jakkun spoke up in confusion.

“I…I binged you somefing. A pwesent.”

Both Masters cocked an eyebrow and looked at her in surprise. Jakkun looked up to see Master Alann eyeing them pointedly from his spot near the fountain, silently daring them to make the girl cry again and see what happens.

“You did not need to get us a present, young one,” Master Jakkun said.

“I know, but I just feeled like it,” the girl shrugged.

“Well, then, I will be glad to accept your gift young…Iyla, was it?” Master Farloff asked.

The girl’s eyes lit up and she nodded happily. “Yes, Masser. Iyla Kemmobi,” she smiled.

“Very well, Iyla. What is this present you wish to give us?” Master Jakkun asked.

Iyla shyly reached into her tunic pocket and pulled out a few items. She held them out to the Masters with both hands.

“I got you some fudge from the sweet shop so you not sad ‘bout missing bezert and I picked some fowers in case you missed the pwetty fowers from the gawden,” she explained.

Masters Jakkun and Farloff looked dumbstruck at the child. Why on earth would she buy them sweets and pick them flowers after they treated her so terribly?

Iyla looked at them nervously and shifted from foot to foot for a bit under their gazes. Her cupped hands still held out the slightly smashed white and pink flowers and the partly melted pieces of fudge in colorful wrappers. They’d clearly been in her tunic pocket as she played and gotten bounced around a bit. They weren’t the most attractive presents the Masters had ever received, but they were probably the kindest and most thoughtful.

Master Farloff reached out and took one of the fudge wrappers and a wilted flower from her hands and nodded politely. Master Jakkun did the same and even managed a small smile.

“These are very thoughtful gifts, young one. Thank you,” Master Jakkun replied.

“Yes, thank you, Iyla. Most kind of you to think of us,” Master Farloff added.

They were rewarded with a wide smile and sparkling eyes. The little one’s Force signature practically blinded them and the warmth softened their hearts a little.

“You welcome, Massers. I not know what fudge to get, but Papa likes caff ceam and I know lots a grown-ups like to have caff so I fought you maybe like them too,” Iyla said.

“The caff fudge is just fine,” Master Jakkun replied. “Thank you,” he nodded.

“I got muja fwuit ones. They was yummy. Papa said I not eat too much though. Or I get a tummy ache and gots to go to the healers. Or get bad teef too. So, maybe not eat it all right away so you not get sick or get yucky teef.”

“That is very good advice, little one,” Master Farloff replied with a chuckle.

“I hope you like it. And…and I hope maybe I can say hi to you some more if I see you again…” she said nervously.

Both Masters found it difficult to turn away and dismiss the imploring blue eyes that looked at them with so much innocent hope and anticipation. The child was very charming and endearing, that much was true. She was also kind and polite and they found themselves thinking that they judged her too quickly and harshly on their first meeting. They decided that they wouldn’t mind seeing the bright smile and feeling the warm Force signature more often.

“I think that sounds nice, Iyla,” Master Jakkun replied with a polite nod and a hint of a smile.

“Fank you, Massers. I fink it sounds nice too,” Iyla smiled.

“We look forward to saying hello to you again soon, little one,” Master Farloff said.

“Me too! Bye-bye, Masser Jaggun and Masser Falloff! May the Fowce be wif you!” she exclaimed then gave them a bow and ran back off to play.

They watched her with amused and slightly bewildered looks on their faces, still holding the smashed and melted presents.

Master Alann approached them. “There is much to learn from the innocence and purity of children.”

“Ali,” Master Jakkun greeted with a polite nod.

“I hope you appreciate Iyla’s gesture. She is a very thoughtful child.”

“Yes, very kind and caring in spite of the bad treatment she was given,” Farloff answered.

“Iyla’s life before the temple was filled with bad treatment as well. Worse even. Much worse. But she is strong, bright, and tender-hearted despite it all,” Master Alann said.

“She shines in the Force. Like a warm and steady light,” Master Jakkun spoke up, his head tilted as he watched the girl play with her friends.

“Yes, pure and unfiltered light. She is definitely at home among the Jedi,” Ali said, giving them a knowing look, very much aware of their feelings about her ‘place’ among them.

“So she is,” Master Jakkun replied with a nod. “So she is.”

Notes:

Ok, so I haven't written the next chapter yet, but I plan on getting to that today and over the next few days. So hopefully it won't be too long between updates, but we will see. Also, thanks for the comments and the well wishes for my family vacation! It was very relaxing and fun, just what we needed after a crazy last 2 years! :)