Actions

Work Header

Study Buddies

Summary:

Y/N and Ben Solo have been best friends since freshman year of college and not a lot has changed 8 years down the line. Apart from her feelings. Will the final year of medical school turn out to be just the same old finals and studying? Or will something else be tested in the upcoming semesters?

Notes:

Hi all! For some reason, I'm a massive sucker for the idea of Ben being a doctor so I decided to make a fic out of it. Hope you all like it. Enjoy lovelies <3

Btw, I literally no nothing about MIT so I'm just sort of adding in bits. Sorry for all who go there and read this, highly doubt that will happen though. :)

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: First Day of Classes

Chapter Text

"Poe hurry your ass up! We're gonna be late!" You shout through the halls of residence, Ben chuckling behind you at the fierceness in your voice. He knew that you had a pet peeve for being late, that you absolutely hated it, and that you were restraining yourself as much as you could right now to go into where Poe currently was and drag his ass across naked. He could only have boxer shorts on and he's pretty sure you would do it at this point. "Y/N we have 20 minutes to get there! Calm down girl, seriously. You're killing my vibe." 

"Dameron, what exactly is your vibe apart from not taking advice and making your best friend's late to their first day of classes." 

"We legit have 20 minutes, chill Dr L/N." You smile at the title, knowing at the end of the year it will yours, but regain your composure and continue shouting. "That ain't my name yet Dameron, now hurry the fuck up in the next five minutes or I swear to god I will leave you and go to class on my own with Ben." 

"Is that just a case of wanting Ben alone L/N?" 

"Oh fuck off Dameron, that joke is well old." You say with a laugh and turn around to see Ben trying to refrain from laughing too loud, biting down on his fist to keep in his chuckles. Finally, you hear a door open, and you turn back around to see Poe come out of his room dressed in a red and blue button-down, brown pants and the infamous brown leather jacket that he brought absolutely everywhere.

"Finally decided to grace us mere mortals with your presence m' lord?" No longer able to control himself at your last comment, Ben loses it lets out a loud laugh, the sound of it infectious as you and him both begin laughing endlessly as Poe just smiles at you two, bowing for mock dramatic effect as though he really were a lord. "Right, come on you two, we've got 15 minutes to get across campus and I want a good back-row seat, kay?" 

"Fine L/N."

"Sure Y/N, that's fine." You smile at Ben as your heart flutters a little.

You may or may not (spoiler: it's may) have a teeny, tiny crush on Ben. It originally started in freshman year of college, when you met in a pre-med course, and you had both become firm friends throughout all of college and had, surprisingly given the odds, been accepted to the same medical school, Harvard. So now, here you were in your last year, about to become a doctor with two of your best friends by your side.

However, you all wanted to be different types of doctors, and they were quite a few specializations apart. You wanted to become a cardiologist and had been since you were 11 years old. You had done the work experience and the research and had finally got to a place where you knew you could get what you wanted.

Ben, however, wanted to be an ER doctor, he was a more general type of guy and was more practical than you and so was more confident in that area.

Poe, on the other hand, was out of both of your fields and wanted to be a radiologist. He was more into physics than you and Ben compared to biology, and although he still loved bio as a topic, he liked to see how physics could affect it. Initially, he had wanted to be a pilot or an engineer, but had changed his major last minute before freshman year of college and had managed to get a 484 on the MCAT, just managing to get into Harvard like you and Ben. It had definitely been some of the best years of your life, and you were going to try and live up this last year as much as you could before summer came and reality set in.

"Oi, you three, hurry up!" Being broken out of your thoughts by an accented voice, and you realised that you were in the student lobby.

Standing before you was Finn, one of yours, Ben's and Poe's friends who had been an international transfer student from the UK. You had met him through Rey, one of your best friends who had gone the same college as you but instead of majoring in biology and medical sciences, she had majored in engineering, maths and physics, and went to MIT to study Aeronautics and Astronautics with her best friend Rose and Finn, Rose's boyfriend.

Rey was actually dating Poe, which you all hasn't expected, but you and Ben were both single as hell and you were the only 2 left in the group without significant other's. Not that you minded honestly, you and Ben were extremely close as best friends and it was probably better since when the other guys and gals were out on date nights, you two could just sit in the dorm watching Brooklyn 99 on Netflix over and over again whilst eating pizza and reviewing notes until you fell asleep on the couch. However, you did have a lot of explaining to do to Poe when he came home in the morning with Rey. "Hey Finn, don't you have a class?" 

"Nah, ours is at 11, which is kinda nice, not too early of a start. And it's just orientation, so no need to sweat about it, to be honest."

You exchanged a confused look with Ben at your side and looked back to Finn. "Orientation?" Ben said, looking as confused as you were. "Yeah, I thought that was only for the freshman courses?" You asked him, becoming even more surprised. "Nah, they added it in last year, some sort of scheme in order to get the older recurring students to meet the ones who are newly transferring into the course. Basically, it's a sit off lesson before all the real shit starts." 

"Ah, right. Anyway, unfortunately, we need to go, but a movie night and pizza soon?" Finn nods his head and says he'll tell Rose and Rey.

Looking around to see where Poe's gone, you notice him and Rey caught up in a very passionate embrace taking up most of the doorway entrance, with people stepping around them awkwardly. "Dameron." You shout at him, gaining no response and becomingly both annoyed and amused at the same time if it was possible. Ben tried next. "Poe!" Still no response. "Wow, his brain might've short-circuited ya know."

You say whilst laughing with Rose, who has come up next to you three to escape the awkwardness. Looking at Ben and giving each other a nod, you both cup your hands around your mouth and yell at the same time.

"DAMERON!"

He whips around in shock, nearly dropping Rey into the doorframe, causing you lot to start laughing uncontrollably. "Come on, Poe, you can have your girlfriend to yourself later, right now me and Ben need to get you to fucking class mate." He nods and turns around to give Rey another kiss, before coming over to your group and hugging Finn goodbye. Making your way out the door, yelling goodbyes behind you, you think about how great this year is going to be, but not before you lean up to Ben's ear and whisper

"First one there wins 5 bucks?" 

---------------------

"I can't believe you won, how did you get that fast in heeled boots?" You just smile as he hands you a $5 bill and you sit back in your seat proudly, yawning as you do though. "You okay, mate?" Poe says next to you and you nod your head before yawning again.

"Yeah I'm fine, just didn't sleep well last night." Ben taps his pen that he's holding on his shoulder and you look at him quizzically. "What?" You ask him, confused as to what he's implying. "The professor isn't going to be here for another 5-10 minutes, just lay your head on my shoulder for a couple of minutes and give your brain a rest." You do as he says, pushing his shoulder back into the cushioned bench behind you as you lean your head over it, trying to get comfortable. Eventually, you feel warm hands rest of your waist and pull you further into his side, and you smile as your eyes stay closed. 

Soon enough you feel a nudge and you open your eyes, resuming a more suitable position for class as you pull out your notebook, pencil case and textbook from your backpack. You look at Ben and smile slightly, feeling your heart do the tappy-dance thing again when he returns the gesture. Damnit Y/N you scolded yourself as you looked towards the front where your teacher was stood.

Now is not the time to fall in love with your best friend. You have a degree to complete here, stay focused! Clicking your pen at the ready, the professor begins her speech. "Hello all, and welcome to my class. I am Professor Maz Kanata, but you can just call me Maz."

You smile as the tension in the room breaks, happy to have a teacher who isn't strait-laced and uptight. "In this class, you will earn a degree that you will find most rewarding. However, before we begin the course this year, we will be having an orientation day of sorts in order to get you all familiar with one another seeing as we have some new students this year. I will also be starting a new curriculum project that has worked many times before; study buddies."

A ripple of murmurs break out throughout the room, and Maz waits patiently for them to stop before she begins speaking again. "Unfortunately you will not be able to choose your pairs for I have chosen them for you, but I have paired you with people who I think you will work well with judged on the data within your files and on previous assignments and tests. I will not start listing who will be with whom." Maz started listing off names whilst Poe turned to you and Ben. "That kinda sucks doesn't it?" 

"I'm not so sure it does. It might be good to meet some new people, get some connections you know?" You whisper quietly whilst turning to Ben. "Ben, what do you think of all this?" He goes to answer but as soon as he opens his mouth Poe's name is called. 

"Poe Dameron and Kaydel Ko Connix!" 

"See ya later guys. Meet you back at the dorm." He walks off to meet a blonde girl sitting in the front row, shaking hands with her and smiling at her, sitting down beside her. "Well, I wonder who we're gonna be paired up with?" You say with a laugh as you sit back against Ben's arm, enjoying the warmth from his body probably more than you should have done as a friend. "Well, I hope I get someone cool and someone who can keep up with me, you know what I'm like." You laugh and reply in a light tone "I know you're a fucking workaholic and that so far only me and Poe have managed to keep up with you without crying within 2 weeks of the semester starting." 

"That was one time and that was because I pointed out one of her notes was wrong." 

"Still, it's true. You're a workaholic." He sits back against the cushioned seat, sighing in mock defeat. "I plead guilty your honour. To all charges." You shove him in the arm at that comment, making him laugh loudly. "Shut up you ass, we're in medical school, not law school, or did you apply to the wrong one by accident?" 

"Nah I got the right one." Just as your about to reply you hear your name being called, and the name that comes after it nearly makes you drop out of your chair in shock. 

"Y/N L/N and Ben Solo!" You look at Ben with wide eyes and say only one thing. "Well, guess that means we don't have to change our shitty sleeping pattern of all-nighters'. 

---------------------

"That was the easiest class we've ever had." 

"That's probably just because we didn't do any work Poe, we just talked the entire time." You pointed out as you walked back across campus to the dorms. You had decided that to make up for the lost lesson today that you were going to study with your respective partners. Poe had already texted Rey about his and she had been on board with it, saying it was completely fine if he needed it for the course, and you and Ben were just gonna stay at home, order a shit ton of fries and pizza and coca-cola and have a study fest in your pyjamas. Which sounded a whole lot better than studying uncomfortably in some cafe on campus. "Hey Poe, me and Y/N are gonna head back to the dorm, what time are you thinking of coming back from your study session?" 

"Probably around 6, it's 11 now" (the class had been 2 hours long, so you and Ben basically just procrastinated the whole time talking about whether or not Black Widow should have dyed her hair blonde) "and I'm gonna meet up with Rey afterwards and go out for something to eat. Have fun though." You nodded at him and smiled as he took off towards the campus parking lot. "Sooooo..." you said, suddenly feeling awkward for a second. "Sooooo..." Ben mirrored and immediately the tension was gone when you hit him in the side with your elbow. "Have we got soda in the dorm?" 

"Yeah, I stocked up. We ordering pizza and fries and having a studyfest?" 

"Oh my fucking god Ben Solo, I swear you can read minds." You say with a delighted groan as he starts laughing at how dramatic you are. By the time you've got back to the dorms, you're discussing what hospitals you want to intern at in the next year and what hospitals you wanna work at after you graduate.

-----------------------

"Ben hurry up, I've got Brooklyn 99 on!" You call out to him as he comes through to the living area with the bottles of soda and two glasses. The pizza was sitting on the coffee table, ready to be eaten and was surrounding by extra-cheesy fries. "Alright, alright, I'm coming." 

"Alright, alright, I'm coming, title of your sex tape." As he just fixes you with a look that makes him look even more adorable than you, full lips settling into a pout. "I find it highly unfair how you sneak references into everyday conversation, how do you even think that fast?" You shrug, never giving it much thought. "My mom did always say I was quick-witted. Maybe that's just me." He laughs softly as he cracks open a bottle of Coca-Cola and pours a fair amount into both of your glasses before setting it down on the floor. Your books, notebooks, laptops and pens were sitting in piles on the floor, reading to be used for the upcoming semester. "How about, we eat first, watch a fuckload of Brooklyn 99, and then get started on notes?" 

"Sounds good to me." He replied as you held up your glass. "Clink clink bitch." You both said as you linked your glasses together and pressed play, settling into the familiar routine that had become so normal to you both for so many years. You wondered if this is what a relationship with him would be like, just sitting together on the couch, talking, eating drinking together while studying, having a good time and enjoying each other's company. 

Never gonna happen, girl, stayed focused on what you have, not on what you want you chided yourself as you slide further down the couch under the fuzzy blanket that covered the both of you. 

-----------------------

"Ben, can you pour me another glass while I just finish writing out this chapter?" The time was 1 am and Poe had texted saying he would stay at Rey's dorm for the night and that he would be back in time for the 10 am lecture you had the next morning. You had texted back saying that was fine and if he needed picking up the next morning then you would just do that since it was easier. You and Ben had finished the pizza and fries hours ago, quickly moving onto candy, chocolate and ice cream whilst reviewing the chapters of your textbook before the lecture and making notes.

"Yeah sure. 7UP or Coca-Cola?" He replied, taking your glass to the kitchen. "Coca-Cola please, it keeps me awake more." You shouted through, going back to reading over the textbook and making notes on flashcards and post its. "Here you go, we gotta go bed soon ya know, we have a 10 am lecture."

You yawned right on cue, and he just chuckled softly as he also yawned as well. It was clear you two were exhausted. "You wanna go sleep here and then just get ready in the morning? We're already comfy." He nodded and placed all the books and notes on the coffee table next to the couch.

"Do you wanna just stand up for a minute while I rearrange the pillows?" You do as he asks, watching how his muscles ripple and flex under his plain grey t-shirt. 

Snap out of it dear fucking god you scold yourself again as he stands up and gestures to the couch. "Do you want me to go to sleep in my room if you wanna sleep here?" 

"Nah you're good, just get yourself comfy while I go take my makeup off and brush my teeth."

"Oh yeah, am I alright to use the bathroom first?" 

You nod, picking up your phone from where it lay on the couch and squinting at the brightness. "Yeah sure go ahead." As he walks off to the bathroom, you notice that you've got a couple of messages from Rey. 

Rey (11:26 pm): Hey girl, I know you're probably studying but me and Poe are about to go to sleep and I just wanted to talk to you. Poe mentioned that you and Ben were study buddies, and while that's great and all, I know. I know how you feel about him. I can see it in the way you look at him, how you bite your lip and tuck your hair behind your ears and stumble on your words when he's around. I don't think anyone else has noticed, and from what I can tell poor Ben is oblivious, so I just wanted to say be careful and don't allow yourself to get hurt, you're too good for that. Night, see you tomorrow probably lol :)

You frown at the message, unsure of what it means. You feel worried about how she can possibly know, you thought you were being low-key but clearly not, but that wasn't your biggest priority now. Looking back and seeing the bathroom door still shut, you type out a message. 

Y/N (1:18 am): Hiya, can't believe you went to bed early lol you're usually up much later than that but oh well. Are we alright to meet up after classes one day this week and talk about... that? I don't really feel like talking about it over text if you get what I mean. Don't worry I'll be careful, I always am lol. Night, see you tomorrow :) 

You shut off your phone with a sigh as you hear Ben coming out of the bathroom. He crosses over into the living and sits down next to you, tapping your shoulder. "Hey, you okay?" You blink and smile at him sleepily, feeling exhausted all of a sudden.

"Yeah, I'm fine, I'm just gonna go get ready for bed. See you in a minute bro." He waves in acknowledgement as you go into the bathroom, sighing as you take your face care products out of the cabinet above the sink. As you go about your routine, you think about how Rey could have known.

Had you been too obvious?

Did a load of other people know too?

Shit, what if Ben knew and it was going to make everything awkward?

Shaking yourself out of your negative spiral, you washed your face and brushed your teeth, wiping your mouth and face with a towel as you flipped the switch off and walked out the bathroom. Noticing Ben curled up on the couch, you smiled. He looked so adorable when he was sleepy, to be honest.

Lifting the blanket with a whispered 'hey' you slid in next to him as he pulled the throw over you guys again. You wondered how many friends did this and stayed just friends. You wondered if you were crossing invisible boundary lines.

"Stop thinking, it's time to go to sleep." He murmured into your hair. "Yes, Dr Solo." You murmured back with a chuckle, feeling him reciprocate the gesture as you felt it vibrate through his chest. You snuggled backwards into his chest as his arm fell over you and his breathing deepened as he fell asleep, and before you closed your eyes another thought stuck out in your brain.

You were only on the first day of classes.