Actions

Work Header

Chapter 13: Persuasion

Chapter Text



After her dance with Roberto, Gwen was back on track to win over the Cordonians. Personal feelings aside, she was not willing to risk being the reason they turned down the Union’s invitation to join. With so many Cordonian royals still left to sway, Gwen knew she would need a few more allies to turn the tides. She scanned the ballroom searching for the Duke and Duchess of Valtoria. The couple was sitting back in their seats at the table. One of the Duchess’ feet was resting in her husband’s lap.

“Duke Maxwell, Duchess Charlene.” Gwen greeted them quietly as she approached.

“Lady Gwendolyn!” Charlotte smiled. “I should apologize for being unlady like. You see my husband can be…excitable at times and I’m afraid I may have hurt myself trying to keep up.”

“Oh no! Should I call for the royal doctor? The Levaincois have an excellent doctor.” Gwen looked around trying to locate Louis or at the very least Zain.

“Oh it’s not that serious!” Duchess Charlotte assured. “Not worth getting everyone riled up over something elevation and a little rest will help with.”

“Of course.” Gwen nodded.

“Did you want to talk to us about something else?” Duke Maxwell asked.

“Well, yes. That is if it’s not too much trouble.” Gwen asked.

“I’m not going anywhere any time soon.” Charlotte gestured to her injured foot.

“Well, I was just speaking with Sir Drake and he let it slip that you’re not exactly thrilled to be promising your future child to a marriage with another country. The Union is the only one of your prospects not asking this of you.”

“Right, they’ve suggested a marriage between you and Liam instead.” Duke Maxwell said.

“Yes.” Gwen nodded. “I understand that the two of you don’t know me, and that you don’t owe me any favors, but at least King Liam and I are two consenting adults. Should a marriage take place between us we’ll have both agreed knowing fully what we’ve agreed to. I wouldn’t want or expect two children to go through something as significant as a marriage without either of them having the chance to express their own consent or displeasure.”

“Neither can we.” Charlotte confessed. “Cordonia must have an heir. We agreed to allow any child of ours to become the heir as a favor to Liam, but if he were to marry and have his own children…”

“What I think my wife means is how can we help?” Maxwell asked.

“King Liam told me that it’s important to him that he have the support of his people before making any decision. Drake said that Duchess Olivia of Lythikos will always vote in favor of King Liam. So, if I am able to convince King Liam that we are a worthy match, I’ll have Duchess Olivia’s vote as well. If I can count on your support that leaves only the four remaining duchies undecided.”

“Not exactly.” Maxwell frowned. “Liam will also consider the opinions of the Guardians of the Realm. Many of whom are not Dukes or Duchesses. Plus, he’ll probably want to know Madeleine’s opinion. She’s the Royal Communications Director.” He rolled his eyes.

“That is quite a few more people than I had thought.” Gwen confessed.

“Nothing we can’t handle.” Charlotte said encouragingly. “This sort of thing happens a lot in Cordonia. Luckily, your two new allies happen to be very popular with most of the royals. And very good at conniving them to see things our way.”

“Thank you so much, Duchess Charlotte and Duke Maxwell!” Gwen smiled. “I promise I will do as much on my own as possible. I just might need a guiding hand here and there.”

“Just Maxwell and Charlotte, now that we’re allies.” Maxwell winked. “So, where do we start? I’m always up for some courtly intrigue.”  

“Well I was thinking Duke Bertrand might be a good start? Since he is your brother, he may be the easiest to convince.” Gwen suggested.

“You don’t know Bertrand.” Maxwell snorted. “But he’d do anything for Charlotte, so we can use that somehow. C’mon, I’ll introduce you.” Maxwell slid out of his chair and led Gwen across the room where Bertrand was discussing finances with Prince Edward.

“Bertrand!” Maxwell clapped his brother on the shoulder. “Have you met Lady Gwendolyn yet?”

“We did meet briefly during my entrance, however it is always a pleasure to be in the presence of our host, as I was just telling Prince Edward.” Bertrand said.

“Yeah, Eddie, this is your place, right?” Maxwell whistled lowly.  “Nice gilded ballroom, but I heard you’ve got a thing for flowers. It’d be nice to learn about something other than apples for a change. Would you mind joining me on a walk of the garden outside?”

“It would be my pleasure Duke Maxwell, but it would be rude of me to leave Duke Bertrand, here.” Edward frowned.

“Don’t worry, I’d be happy to keep the Duke company while the two of you enjoy your walk.” Gwen offered. This was all the assurance Edward needed. He allowed Maxwell to escorting him away, already rambling about the various roses showcased within the ballroom.

“I must say Lady Gwendolyn, I thoroughly enjoyed the dinner service.” Duke Bertrand was the first to speak. “It is so rare these days that one attends an event in which all the proper serving utensils and dinner wear are used.”

“Well, educate and decorum are two things that are very important to the Union, and a proper place setting is a small way to convey how important our guests are to us.” Gwen parroted back a speech she’d heard Alberto give to Prince Roberto one evening during a state dinner.

“Well said, Lady Gwendolyn.” Duke Bertrand smiled. “I suppose you’re here to make a case for the Union?”

“You’ve got me.” Gwen agreed.

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, but even an appropriate table serving will not be enough to sway my vote towards the Union. I need to know that whatever King Liam decides will not cost Cordonia to give more than we can afford.” Bertrand explained.   

“I would expect nothing less from a Duke with your prestige. I know that you’re getting married soon.” She remembered reading in both American and Cordonian news. “Planning a wedding gets a person laser focused on the future and it’s only natural that you want the best future possible for your country and your family. You should know that financially the Union is thriving.”

“That’s not true for all of the Kingdoms though is it?” Duke Bertrand asked. “You must be aware that Liberty is struggling financially at the moment.”

“It’s true, Liberty is not as profitable as the other Kingdoms.” Gwen recognized. “But Prince Keith and the royal family have dedicated a lot of time to cultural endeavors. They support their people where it’s important.”

“And do you think it’s fair for Cordonia to pay for Liberty’s cultural endeavors?” He questioned.

“I suppose that depends. Would Cordonia not expect something in return for their funds? Whether that was for the debt to be paid back or for imports or something else. It would be a trade. Not a single Union Kingdom is looking for handouts.” Gwen countered.  

“You’re still a student, Miss Gwendolyn, correct?” Duke Bertrand wanted to know.

“Yes. Here in Charles.” She nodded.

“May I ask what your course of study is?” Bertrand asked.

“Economics with a minor in anthropology.” She answered.  

“Well, I can see that the princes were fortunate to have found you, Lady Gwendolyn.” For the first time since their interaction had begun, Bertrand smiled. “I look forward to talking with you again sometime. Perhaps over a more pleasant subject, like apples or decorative napkins. If you’ll excuse me, I’d like to catch the end of that garden tour.”

“I would like that very much Duke Bertrand.” Gwen told him before he walked off in the direction Maxwell and Edward had headed.