Actions

Work Header

Man Lion Thing Dude

Summary:

Duo Maxwell is estranged from the last of his remaining family who are demanding that he return home for an important announcement. Meanwhile, Duo has been having strange encounters with 'wild' animals, all of whom seem to be hunting him.

Chapter Text

Duo groaned as he closed his textbook and rubbed his eyes, “Why do they always drown us with homework right before finals? I swear they’re trying to kill us.”

His roommate and best friend, Wufei chuckled, “You complain but I’ve yet to see you fail a class.”

Duo huffed at him and stretched as he stood to pack away his things.

“Are you looking forward to the break?” Wufei asked.

Duo scowled, “No. My grandmother is demanding that I come home for some important announcement.”

“Really?” Wufei questioned, “I thought you were estranged with your family.”

“I am.” Duo snapped, “I’m going to get some air.”

“I’ll come with you.” Wufei said as he began to stand.

“No. I’ll be fine on my own.” Duo told him as he pulled on his shoes and a hoodie before stomping out the door.

Wufei winced and listened for his footsteps to fade before he followed after him. Duo’s grandmother, Helen, or Elder Maxwell, as Wufei knew her, had hired him to be Duo’s bodyguard as long as the boy was in the mundane world, not that Duo knew any of that.

Duo came from a long line of werepanthers, not that he knew that either, and was destined to become a powerful leader. Well he was supposed to. Something had happened when Duo was five that had caused his older brothers, Solo, disappearance and had caused Duo’s werepanther gene to go dormant. 

To give Duo a chance at a normal life his grandmother had locked away his memories of the supernatural world and had sent him off to boarding school where he had remained year round, year after year until he had graduated and cut ties with his family. 

That’s when Wufei had been hired to guard him. Having come from a long line of warriors and weretigers, Wufei was the best choice to guard the young man. He had done so but was due to visit his own family soon as his cousin, Meiran, was due to graduate.

Duo made his way to the park that was located next to the apartment and pulled out his pack of cigarettes. They were disgusting things, always left a bad taste in his mouth, but they did calm him. 

He sat down on a bench and leaned his head back to stare at the night sky as his thoughts wandered back to his so called family. They had shipped him off to a boarding school right after Solo had disappeared like it was his fault. Not once had he been allowed to visit home and not once had they come to visit him other than when he wound up in the Headmasters office. 

Some family they were. 

A rustling sound from the bushes caught his attention and he turned his head to look in that direction. It was probably just a squirrel but there had been reports of wild animals attacking people at night. 

As the thought crossed his mind a wolf stepped out of the bushes.

“Fuck!” Duo hissed as he slowly stood and backed up. He hadn’t known there were wolves in these parts, “Easy boy.”

The wolf growled and took a menacing step towards him, gold eyes glowing eerily in the darkness, before another growl interrupted from behind Duo.

Duo sucked in a breath and froze when he heard the growl. This was going to be how he died. Killed by two wild animals.

The creature behind him growled again before it slowly prowled past Duo. 

Duo gulped as a lion brushed past him. He started to back away slowly again only to freeze when the lion blurred before a man stood in its place. A tall and naked man. Very naked. 

The wolf growled again but back away as it disappeared back into the bushes. The lion turned man stood there watching the spot where the wolf had disappeared before turning to look at Duo who gulped and took a small step backwards and then another before he took off running back towards his apartment. 

Once he was safely inside he bolted all the locks and looked around for Wufei. Seeing the male stepping out of the kitchen, he couldn’t help but release a breath before sliding down the door to the floor.

“Duo?” Wufei asked concerned, having gotten back just seconds before Duo, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah… no… fuck… I don’t know.” Duo answered as he rubbed his forehead, a headache suddenly appearing, “I think I’m just tired, too much studying.”

Wufei eyed him, “Maybe you should head to bed.” He suggested.

“Yeah… I think I will.” Duo said as he stood and headed towards his room.

Wufei watched him go and waited for Duo’s bedroom door to shut before he slipped outside and down to the park.

“Bloom?”

A noise to his left had him turning as the same lion from before stepped out of the shadows. The lion blurred again until a man was standing in his place.

“You called?” The man asked, his green eyes seemingly glowing in the darkness.

“Why are you here?” Wufei asked the werelion.

“I was sent to investigate the recent attacks. It seems I found the source of interest.” The shifter commented.

“The council sent you?” Wufei questioned.

Bloom nodded, “Now that I’ve found the source of interest, I can use him to lure out the others to take back to the council.”

Wufei growled, his eyes flashing from black to gold, “I do not believe Elder Maxwell would agree to using her grandson as bait.”

“That was her grandson? He’s so… human.”

“He basically is.” Wufei informed him, “He hasn’t shifted since his brother disappeared.”

The werelion hummed as he stared at Wufei, “Very well. I shall send word to the council and help you keep your charge safe, Chang.”

Wufei nodded, his eyes fading back to black, “Very well. But you must stay out of sight. You’ve given him quite the fright already, Triton.”

Triton nodded and his form blurred once again as man turned into lion.

Wufei watched as Triton trotted back into the shadows and then made his way back up to the apartment he shared with Duo. After locking the door he peeked into Duo’s room to see the younger male in the beginnings of a nightmare.