Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Character:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of TechnoMagus
Stats:
Published:
2020-01-25
Completed:
2020-12-24
Words:
431,503
Chapters:
50/50
Comments:
22
Kudos:
3
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
499

TechnoMagus: Level 6 High Priestess

Chapter 28: Weavings of Fate

Chapter Text

"Hold on!" Markle cried, desperate to keep his own footing on the slippery deck of the Ocypete. He lunged to grab hold of Pickle, just managing to catch her wrist.

They slid across the sloping deck and slammed into the railing. They both desperately grabbed hold of the railing and webs that lined them, clutching each other as well.

A large spell went off overhead with a loud CRACK! and thunder rolled across the heaving water. There were three, then a fourth shining flashes from the part of the deck that was trying to roll over their heads and the ship wavered, then slowly began to sink back to a more proper angle.

There was coughing nearby, then Hugh appeared, pulling himself hand over hand along the railing to reach them. He put his hand on Pickle. "Are you okay?" he pleaded.

"Yes, Hugh. Markle caught me in time," Pickle said, fear still in her voice. The paleness of her skin was too much for her usually ruddy look from walking and exploring in the outdoors all the time.

Markle's heart was still pounding very hard and fast with his own fear at the sudden lift of the ship and near capsizing of it. People of the Land and Giants couldn't swim.

"That was a damn difficult monster to get rid of," an Adventurer closer to the opposite side of the ship complained. Another one was settling down next to him, brown wings furling as the feet found somewhat steady purchase. "Glad at least a few of you know how to have wings, but I'm surprised Dark Machiavelli let you leave the city."

The one who landed shrugged. "You know him and sub-quests that affect the world. He's sent a few of us on to babysit for him, just in case." He looked out over the waters that were settling back down slowly. "I think it was rather important in this situation."

"I'll say," the first Adventurer agreed. "That was going to be a full roll that time for sure." Other Adventurers gathering again were nodding.

"I'll say," Markle agreed fervently. "I was going to go to Giant to help them out just before then. I'm glad I didn't. We would have really been dropped into the ocean."

Pickle looked around. "Where's Corbin?" she whispered, horrified that he wasn't visible, or with them.

"Pickle! Pickle!" There was the sound of running feet. "Markle! Hugh!" A body slammed into all of them, slipping on the water that contained some level of monster gore in it.

"We were okay," Hugh said testily, as he shoved Corbin's foot off his face.

"Sorry," Corbin said, scanning all three again. He embraced whomever he could reach. "I'm so glad you're all okay. I could never keep going on this quest if I lost any of you." He shivered.

Pickle patted him on the head. "We're still here. As long as we can we won't leave you. You're quest is noble and we want to help you see it through."

A footstep marked the arrival of another person, who crouched down to smile at them all. "Izanagi won't make the path easy, and he'll make you work for it, but he doesn't want to see it fail either."

The Adventurer who'd been helping Corbin since they'd left Akiba patted Corbin on the shoulder. He also had brown wings just peeking up over his shoulders, which surprised Markle.

"Are you one of Archmage Shiroe's men, too?" he asked.

"Yes." He'd said to call him Teacher, so they did, but that wasn't quite what his companions called him. They'd decided to be polite regardless. Corbin was learning a lot from him, so it was at least appropriate. He stood up and helped Pickle to stand up, then Hugh and Markle.

Corbin was still almost dancing in his worry. "I was inside, trying to get down the stairs to get to you when all of a sudden I was almost lying down on the wall instead, and couldn't walk at all.

"All I could see was how tall the monster was and think that it would be like one of us tipping a bark boat over in the bath tub. I'm not sure even we would have been as tall as it, but it's hard to tell from this small."

"It would have been about the height of your dad, Markle, is my guess," Teacher said.

"Mm," he sucked on his teeth. "That would have still been hard, then. Both of us, maybe. The taller height makes for sticking better and harder to push over."

Teacher smiled again. "I take it you've wrestled with your dad before then."

Markle gave a small, wry smile. "I never win."

"You might when you get back. You've been getting stronger," Corbin said with enthusiastic encouragement.

Markle chuckled. "Maybe. I'd rather test it friendly after it's all over than in the battle, though."

The rest sobered up at that and looked back over the water. Ezzo was a haze on the horizon. They would be there in a few hours - would have already been there if not for the sudden appearance of the sea monster. "Do you think...that it attacked us to prevent us from completing our quest, to make us late to the battle?" Corbin asked soberly.

Teacher looked at him with an appraising look. "Not to prevent, no, but usually these kinds of things do happen to delay so that you arrive 'just in the nick of time', that is, just when it's essential you be there to prevent or to act.

"Keep your eyes carefully open as we go. Let each other know immediately of any thoughts to act you might have, and then act on them. Usually that's part of it too, even if you wouldn't normally have done such a thing at such a time.

"Just like it's the one or three people who went on the quest unexpectedly, it's also the unexpected detours that lead to the fateful win. Also, just like this monster, expect to continue to have set-backs and seeming failures.

"Face them with faith and hope and whatever action you can do, small or large, until you've worked your way through it. Never accept failure as an option. You don't have to. Creativity or patience will win every time. Or both."

His two companions had come up behind him and they all had put away their wings now. "Honestly, since we just saved all of you this round, we're likely not going to get to at the final battle, although we'll do our best to participate as we can.

"You'll have to prove your own strengths, then, and your strong desire to see the Giants live will have to carry you. Never lose sight of that goal. Let it be the fire inside that warms you and gets you walking again, even if you've had to cry and rage at the unfairness of it all."

Corbin was listening well to his lesson, but Markle was sadly sober. He looked down and away, unable to face what was in the Adventurers' eyes. They had fought that fight, and from what little they'd learned on this trip, were still fighting it. "Thank you," he said quietly. "Thank you for being here to help us."

Teacher and his companions were silent. He looked up at them. They were looking at him just as sober as his feelings. Once he'd made eye contact, they nodded at him. "Seeing this through is a step on our way to our own goal, but you're welcome. It's rare and nice to be appreciated when it's from eyes that see and understand."

Markle looked down again, then bowed to the three Adventurers. He had no other words than the ones he'd already said.

Teacher sighed and looked around. "Okay, everyone, call up the water Summons and get the deck cleaned off so we can walk without the Slip-n-Slide effect. We should be at port in an hour. We'll want the latest update from William before we leave the ship." His eyes found the person who had been designated the point of contact. He got a wave.

Teacher turned back to Markle. "Keep grabbing that hand and holding on tight. It's going to become a very important one to you some day, and likely to all the Giants as well. The first hand of friendship is a thing to treasure."

Markle stared at him, slightly open mouthed. He looked at Pickle and she looked away and turned pink. Markle suddenly couldn't look at her either and looked away, feeling his own neck turning hot. He had no idea why, though. He was a Giant, and she was a Small. He did give a nod that he'd heard - and understood.

When the Adventurers had walked away, Hugh gave Pickle a shove and Corbin looked at Markle in suspicion. Markle held up a hand of denial and Pickle blushed a little harder, then shoved Hugh back, getting into a slight shoving fight to get past the embarrassment. Corbin sighed, looking away. "Well, he's not wrong." The two Smalls settled at that, knowing he was thinking about the burden he'd taken on.

Pickle, as usual, got them all moving again in her cheerful way. When she suggested food, they all complained at her. They'd already almost just lost their meals in that wild battle. They didn't need to remind their unsteady stomachs.

As they walked back in, following Pickle's hungry stomach anyway, Markle fell back and looked at his hand. The feeling he'd felt when he'd grabbed that warm wrist and how much better he'd felt when her hand had wrapped around his wrist came back to him again. He closed his fist, then clenched it.

He might not know what the future held, but he did know that he wanted to protect that hand that reached out to them and invited them to participate in life with the rest of the world that existed outside the frozen realm of the Giants. If he could do that and win this quest, then he would be content. His siblings and his mother wouldn't have died in vain.

He ran up and joined his friends, putting an arm around Corbin's shoulder. "We can do this," he said firmly. "With companions, friends, and Adventurers helping us - we can do this."

Corbin paused and smiled finally. "Thanks, Markle. I'm glad you're here with me."

"Any time, buddy. Drag me all over creation and through the ocean. What are friends for?" They laughed and Corbin wrapped his arm around Markle's shoulder, happy they were all together still, too.

-:-:-:-:-

Shiroe waited patiently as the connection to Duke Sergiad was completed. "Shiroe." Sergiad was looking tired and perhaps a bit frazzled, not an easy emotion to display for the programmed head of the largest domain in Eastal. Perhaps there was an exception allowed for personal headaches of the worst sort, like Neville's quest likely was.

"I'd like to start contacting you regularly for a bit, until this next part with the shrine quest is in the works." Sergiad perked up at that. "And it seems to me that if you'd want, we could also confer a bit on the Neville quest business."

Sergiad relaxed at that. It must be that one, like Shiroe had guessed. "Thank you for helping Neville on the first quest. I was quite pleased to learn I'd sent him to the right place the first time."

"How is that going?" Shiroe asked politely.

Sergiad rubbed his forehead. "Raynessia is a bit stubborn about it. She won't say what the quests are early, and I'm afraid she's making them up as she goes." The Duke dropped his hand and looked away. "At the same time, I'm almost certain it was fed to her from something she read in the library.

"I've got three men now searching through the section Neville found her in just before the Christmas ball as the starting place to look, but we may have to search the entire library." He sighed after a bit. "I'd like to know early so we can see if the proper resolution is also given, or so I can know how to properly equip Neville before he leaves."

Shiroe personally felt like they weren't going to find the book until the quests were over, or Neville really got stuck. Quests in the game didn't work the way Sergiad was trying for. You had to figure them out on your own, or go seek the proper person with the proper knowledge to know how to move forward.

"Are you planning on sending him to see me again, or is there someone else you had in mind?" The latter would be the better way to go, really.

Sergiad wouldn't meet his eyes. "At the moment, there's very little to go on, so I'm not sure where to send him tomorrow morning. ...Unless you happen to know where to find a fledgling gryphon's feather?"

Shiroe put his interlaced fingers to his mouth to cover his sudden smile. "You could send him to see Purrcy. She has a very good relationship with gryphons, I hear. Perhaps she already has one?"

Sergiad scowled. "I'd rather not. Particularly if as you say we're ready to begin the next step of that movement. I'd much rather keep them completely separate."

"Well...I might be able to help some. We do have gryphons as Summons. Perhaps one of them could help. What was the personal quality he was supposed to display by getting one?" That was always a requirement to the quest as well.

The face in the communication window in front of Shiroe fell and the weariness showed through. "Tenacity of all things. If that were a useful one, shouldn't it be the third one? Just being willing to go out at all by then would prove it."

"Perhaps that's why it's now?" Shiroe mused quietly. He shook his head, really wondering what was going on with that quest. "Why that one, do you know?"

"She claims it's because he'll have to be able to continue moving forward regardless of the difficulties he might face in the future."

"That sounds like an admission of her own difficulty."

Now Sergiad had to hide his own smile but the brief laugh escaped him regardless. He seemed to be in agreement. "Or perhaps a subtle hint that she wants it to take a long time." Sergiad's own conclusion matched his fatalism for the whole thing. "But, tell me about the shrine quest? Has the champion appeared?"

"Yes, we've sent him off...well, not really. He's one who disapproves of Adventurers and...well, let me tell you from the beginning. Izanagi has taken it quite in hand." Shiroe began with Berenshilde's first appearance in Akiba and the story he'd told Rudy, ending with the final party make-up.

"So we had little room to say anything ourselves in the end. But with two of my men with him and a third whom I know and have given a head's up on and who's on his own quest and been added to the mix by Izanagi as well, Berenshilde should make it to wherever is next regardless.

"I've one more man on standby for when Izanagi weeds out the worst of the bunch. Since he's quite cursed, really, we expect that to be tonight or sometime tomorrow, and certainly before he reaches Maihama.

"Given his track record thus far, expect him late and destitute again. He won't control his mouth well, so your men can get anything they want out of him. Since you're involved in this from the beginning, I would think whomever you plan on sending with him will also survive to return and tell you, although we've found Izanagi doesn't make it easy.

"He plays the game by real world rules. If they aren't strong enough to defend themselves, they'll die anyway, even if he would have prevented the cursing from falling on them - just so you're aware. With four Adventurers in the party that we expect to see stay, and maybe five, they'll have a strong start."

It was a mixed bag of news, but Sergiad handled it well enough. Curious, he asked, "Why is he cursed?"

Shiroe grimaced a little. "That's what started him to begin with. He drew sword against the Oracle so he claims that's the reason, but it wasn't. When I was down there in the last set of quests we all had to do, one of my personal quests was to visit with Rudy's father, the Marquis.

"Berenshilde is his oldest son. Both he and the second brother were extremely rude to me, and I had Purrcy with me. She couldn't tolerate the behavior of either of them and finally snapped when he drew on me first in unrighteous anger. She was already into the oracle when he tried to stop her mouth with his sword. Akatsuki kindly defended both of us handily so we weren't concerned." Sergiad was shaking his head.

"The curse specifically is that he can't die because he and his younger brother have to survive until Rudy is ready to show up and take up the heirship. They were disavowed by the world because they didn't have the qualities of proper leadership.

"Ah...speaking of which, I'd like to ask you to take Rudy on for training before he heads back down there. Particularly if we leave soon, he'll need a place to go to learn how to properly be able to stand in his place. We're teaching him what we can, of course.

"He has the qualities his brothers don't, although he does have a lord's pride that hides his youthful insecurities. We're hopeful that will change with training since he was also blessed to keep some level of his Adventurer status when we go."

"Eh? ...Is he the lad who you adopted in and became an Adventurer?" Sergiad was surprised. "No, he is, right. I'd forgotten with all the other things going on. You contacted his father, then, to set things straight."

"Yes. His father also had troubles with that, which I expected. That's why I had Purrcy with me. I knew if I needed to have stern backup she would do an excellent job, and she did. We quite played with it, though I can't say it was enjoyable."

Shiroe frowned slightly. "Having them become unkillable was an unexpected side effect. Berenshilde has a very inflated image of himself, so it's entirely possible he keeps fighting as if he can't die, from the beginning. Not a healthy way to fight at all."

"No," Sergiad agreed. He sighed. "I'll send the minimum with him then. I don't need my men dying because he can't prevent himself." Shiroe nodded. That would tend to keep them alive longer, to just send the minimum. Berenshilde might nearly-die more frequently, but that might eventually teach him caution.

Answering Shiroe's request, Sergiad continued, "And yes, feel free to tell young Rudy he can come here when he's ready for the next step. Having him here to form a relationship with Iselius would be helpful to Yamato as a whole, I would think."

"I'm in agreement," Shiroe said. "He's already taking his future placement seriously. I'm pleased. The leadership of the Adventurers down there are helping him to learn the land, although it has to be from a distance, and he's trying to form relationships of at least teacher-student with those of the Marquis' court that will have it. He understands already how little he knows."

"From watching you, no doubt," Sergiad complemented him. Shiroe tipped his head. It was the truth, after all.

"I don't think I have any other news at the moment, unless you'd care to hear about any of the other sub-quests going on that you're not specifically involved in?" Shiroe offered.

"Am I really going to have to treat with Giants?" Sergiad was a bit morose.

"Well...that I don't know. They'll treat more with the people of Ezzo for now. Perhaps Iselius and Rudy will, however. We've been requested to see they're set up to be guards for water merchant travel against the great sea monsters when we're gone.

"If you want international maritime trade at all, you'll need an agreement with them some time. That will be a few years down the line, though, so there's time to come to grips with it. Things are on track for it, just so you know." Sergiad gave a noncommittal nod. He'd heard it and that was as far as it was going to go for now.

"And pirates have discovered Yamato. Please also be watching out for them. Send them packing as quickly as you can so they can't gain a foothold. We've got cover in place, but it's weak and won't hold for long. You'll want to survey your coasts and keep any hidden coves regularly cleaned out.

"Hiring the Giants to patrol the waters would be a good way to help the whole thing out without having to see them, since you can tell them they get to keep what they gain, but that may turn them into pirates, too, so consider that one a desperation move, I would think."

"You know pirates come ashore and steal princesses and young women, right?" Sergiad said miserably.

"And if they manage to steal Raynessia, I would think she would be well pleased, and they'd be rather disturbed. She's had the proper experience already to become a pirate captain's wife, then make him suffer for it the rest of his life while she remains quite entertained." Shiroe wasn't sympathetic.

"Haah," Sergiad sighed, "bite your tongue Archmage. May such a cursing not come on any of us. It's bad enough she's picked the quest option. I'd like the pirates to hold off longer for my stomach's sake. I'm already topped off."

"I'm sorry to hear it," Shiroe could be sympathetic about that. He was topped off himself. "Well, good luck. I'll watch for Neville, then, and contact you around this time regularly, but perhaps not daily unless things warrant it."

"Very well," Sergiad replied and Shiroe closed the connection. Shiroe leaned back in his chair, legs stretched out in front of him, fingers laced in front as well, and closed his eyes. He very firmly relaxed instead of giving in to the temptation to get up and wander around. Now that he knew it was happening, he could at least do that much for as long as possible.

-:-:-:-:-

"I'm really sorry to bother you again, Archmage Shiroe." Neville had his hat in his hands and was turning it slowly. "The Duke has asked me to come and see you again for advice as to how to go about approaching the second quest: to find and bring back a fledgling gryphon's feather."

"Well, that's going to take some mountain climbing. They like to nest in the tall mountains in the central north of Yamato. However as large creatures they're very cunning in where they hide them. You'll have to have perseverance and tenacity to find their aeries, and then very politely ask if any of them have one they're willing to part with.

"If you've properly learned humility in the first quest, you'll understand how to answer their demands to do so. Generally we've found them to be quite reasonable when approached as equals at the least. I can't guarantee all of them are friendly, but the ones we've dealt with have been."

Neville was looking hopeful. That was at least better news than last time. "Like last time, please come here first and let me know how you fared before returning to Maihama. But...," Shiroe leaned forward and looked at Neville very sharply, "I won't be able to just hand over a feather this time on your return. I haven't got one of those.

"There may be another way I can help you, but really you'd do best earning this one on your own. Given how reasonable they are, it's likely to be your easiest quest."

He paused and pondered, "And I guess I don't know how they'll react to having you show up at their home. We call them to us. But if you let them know it's for a princess' quest, they'll understand at least that much."

Neville bowed. "Thank you very much, Archmage."

His man-at-arms pulled out their map. "Would you be so kind as to give us a general area we should go looking?"

Shiroe took the map and generally drew a circle around the area Tetorō had told him ProudWing had taken Purrcy after the Hacker demonstration. He handed it back. "Good luck."

"Thank you." The four men bowed and saw themselves out the door. Shiroe rose to his feet and took himself out of the building to head to the Academy. He wanted to see if Izanagi was still leaving the children alone, and observe their lessons for a bit.

"How's it going?" Naotsugu asked him, hands behind his head, his stride matching Shiroe's.

"Barely breathing," Shiroe answered him. "Swimming in up to my forehead, but still moving forward. Things are on autopilot or I'd not be able to move at all, I think." He glanced over at Naotsugu. "Or...I'd move in the wrong direction. So forward on autopilot it is."

"Auto-pilot-city sounds fine to me," Naotsugu said casually, then looked sideways at him, "as long as it continues to be in the right direction."

"I'm with you on that," Shiroe answered quietly. They walked in companionable quiet.

Shiroe was relieved to learn that the children seemed to still be being left alone, and they were anxiously engaged in their lessons. Walking back home, though, he was left to chew on the worrisome thought of what was next. What would Izanagi do to replace the numbers they'd prevented him from having?

-:-:-:-:-

Raynessia was climbing out of the carriage to visit Clair at her studio when there was suddenly a fracas just down the street. Her guards urged her to enter the studio quickly, but at the top step she turned back to see what it was. It seemed unusual for there to be such a fuss in the city.

A man with long curly blond hair that seemed a bit familiar was standing at the corner arguing with five men. Raynessia froze, then pushed her way through her guards and ran to the corner. Breathing slightly heavy from the exertion, she pleaded, "Please, what may I do to help? Surely it is simpler to treat Adventurers with respect?"

The men all turned and stared at her. Three got smiles on their faces and shook their heads. "Princess, it's all right. Berenshilde was expressing his preferences was all. We've detoured to get here when here wasn't where he wanted to come, although his own decisions have led to it," one of the Adventurers tried to reassure her.

"We'd like to rest tonight, is all," another one said. "He's led us on a merry chase and a night of drink and rest won't make all that much difference to his quest."

"Please, come to the castle and rest." The words were out of her mouth before she thought about them - rather normal, really. She sighed to herself and hoped her father and grandfather wouldn't mind too much.

"I was just going to visit with Clair, but if you say I ran into you and offered it...," she looked around her and into the eyes of her disapproving guards, "and if you take this one, he'll be believed that you really did talk to me." She'd picked one guard at random.

Berenshilde's eyes had taken on a crafty look. He flipped his hair and self-importantly said, "The eldest son of the Marquis of Ninetails Dominion should be welcome at the castle of the Archduke of Maihama. My argument was against sleeping in a bug-infested hotel. I'm sure we could discuss things that might begin relations between the two households as well as find a bit of worthwhile respite."

Raynessia stared at him open-mouthed just a little, then politely closed her mouth and curtsied just a little. "I'm sure," she answered demurely, already loosing complete interest in him. She turned to the guard she'd selected. "Please see that they are escorted to the castle and allowed entry. I'm sure my Grandfather will want to know they've arrived."

Not being able to do anything but obey, the guard bowed and invited the party of men to begin the walk up the steep hill with him. Three of the Adventurers winked at her and one politely thanked her. She nodded back a welcome, then watched them until they were out of sight, frowning slightly.

Then she shrugged a little. Surely a boy out of backwater Ninetails wouldn't have known not to enter Akiba in the state it was in. If some had been allowed to help him on some quest or other, then they likely knew what they were doing. He certainly seemed the type to be completely helpless without them.

She returned to her interrupted activity, as happy to see her friend again as she was to have Neville out of Maihama. She hadn't been sure she was going to get to visit Clair, what with the frustrated look her grandfather had given her at the second quest being issued. She was grateful her mother had allowed it.

-:-:-:-:-

"Your Grace." It was quiet, male, and a completely unexpected voice.

Sergiad swung around. His eyes went wide at the face in front of him. "Aren't you supposed to be watching over Raynessia?"

"Yes, however," Sergiad was impatient but the long-suffering sigh calmed him from worry to resigned frustration again rather quickly, "she ran into Adventurers in the city as soon as she alighted from the carriage and nothing would do but for her to be the ambassador, since the young lord was yelling at them."

Sergiad's eyes narrowed. "She talked to him?"

"Yes. Well, more to the Adventurers. She only gave him the same face she gives all the young lords."

Sergiad relaxed again. He'd been wanting to keep the two young lords separated as much as possible. He'd forgotten that he had a third youngster to keep out of the path of the shrine quest movements.

"I should meet with the Adventurers at least," he said finally. "And I'm sure the young lord isn't worth my time, but will be frightfully offended if I don't at least allow him to say a few words in my presence."

He considered it for a while, then said, "Schedule a private dinner. The Adventurers don't care if they have large or small ones and I don't need the lord tainting anything more than he already will."

"Tainting, my lord?" the guard asked in surprise.

"He's on a quest to remove a cursing. The Archmage contacted me to let me know he might end up here as he seems cursed from even arriving at his destination in any reasonable fashion. See you tell the Chatelaine."

"Yes, my lord," the guard bowed and trotted off to find the chatelaine.

Sergiad waited until he was reasonably alone and said quietly, "See that those who are to go with him stand the wall as guards during dinner."

That would make it so they'd already know whatever details Berenshilde would regale them with and get an early sense of what torture they'd have to bear up under. He may as well share that torture tonight. He hoped he'd be able to play a little with the Adventurers at the same time. It might make it worth his time.

-:-:-:-:-

Raynessia was on her way back to her quarters from a private dinner with her parents and Iselius when she saw a back she recognized. It took a bit, but then she realized she'd seen it just earlier that day. With a sigh, she walked over to the garden wall where he was standing, looking a little lost. "Hello again," she said politely.

The young lord turned and looked at her in surprise, as if expecting an attack from a young thing like her, which was ludicrous. He relaxed and bowed. "Princess. Thank you for allowing an escort to attend me and for the invitation to spend the night at the castle." He seemed a little nervous.

"You're welcome." She considered him a little longer. "Are you lost?"

"A Code is never lost!" the lord protested. His name was just not coming to her, but she'd only heard it once. "I am merely walking for the evening air before I retire for the night."

"I would have thought you were dining with my Grandfather?" She brushed at her skirt, not really caring one way or the other. It came off as a demure gentle protestation that butterflies would have landed on.

He waved his hand. "What need have I for coarse Adventurers who will monopolize the conversation? The Duke and I exchanged proper and polite words and I've said when I return that perhaps I might be able to meet the heir and discuss the future of Yamato with him. I left before they did as the Adventurers like their drink and can party far into the night."

"That is true," Raynessia was well aware of that.

The young Lord Code paused, and looked at her a little puzzled. "Have you had dealings with the Adventurers before, then? You weren't shy at all to come and interrupt earlier."

"Yes," she answered politely, holding her hands in front of her skirt and wishing she could sit down - but not with him or it would be a multi-hour boring conversation, she was sure. "I was assigned to be the Maihama Ambassador to the city of Akiba until just recently."

She was stared at rudely, then he said brusquely, "Yes, I have heard that, though I'd forgotten it." He rudely turned away from her and she moved to escape him, but was brought up short. "Ah, that means then, that you know Lady Purrcy."

Raynessia froze, her clasped hands coming up to her waist to tighten together even more. Turning her head just slightly, she answered, "Yes, I do know her." He'd said it with such a smooth evil tone she was suddenly frightened.

"Is she the sort who would be willing to remove a curse she applied when approached with repentance?" It was said mildly but when Raynessia looked at Lord Code he seemed to have almost an aura of danger about him.

Carefully she answered, "She is very stern, but she also is intelligent and wise. I think if she should be approached with repentance that yes, she would consider it properly."

"And can she, as an Adventurer, erase what she's done when she did it as the Oracle?" Lord Code's eyes narrowed.

Raynessia gasped slightly and stepped back just a little. "Lady Purrcy? Oracle?" She was quite confused. "She's not, surely?"

Lord Code stepped forward a slight step. "She is. I've been cursed by an oracle she gave. My father has sent me to quest to find her and beg for the cursing to be removed and apologize. She wasn't in Akiba with Archmage Shiroe - who only stood there and allowed her to curse me without remorse.

"My brother, Rundelhaus, told me she'd gone to the shrine and I must go there. We've come here instead, though I've no idea how it happened." He looked away. "Though if it will give me further allies and sight in my father's eyes, then that's sufficient, I suppose," he muttered.

Raynessia suddenly understood why this young Lord Code seemed familiar. She didn't know Rudy personally very well, but she'd certainly seen him and knew he was part of Akatsuki's guild. She definitely approved of Rudy far more than his older brother.

Rudy was just as boorish as the other young lords if she actually ever talked to him. But he did try to get along with the Adventurers as best he could which was miles above most People of the Land.

Raynessia curtsied, "I'm sorry, I'm not able to help you any more than what I've said. I had no knowledge of such a thing until you've said it. I don't know if an Adventurer can remove a curse of an Oracle or not. The Oracle is the voice of Inari.

"If you received a cursing from the Oracle, it's more likely only the Oracle can tell you if it can be removed. An Adventurer may be completely helpless, as any of us would be if we were the Oracle."

He hadn't liked that answer one bit and she backed away slowly. "I am late to my next appointment, but I do wish you luck on your quest." She made sure he was going to let her go before turning her back to him. He was quite dangerous, she was sure of it.

However, she thought on what he'd told her for a long time that night. If Lady Purrcy really was the Oracle, then surely if Raynessia needed to know a thing she'd be willing to tell her. She'd not like a cursing like Lord Code's, but...she had allowed Raynessia to pet her on the bed....

-:-:-:-:-

"I hear you were talking to young Berenshilde last night." Raynessia blinked at her grandfather who seemed to be looming over her, although he was only standing next to her.

"He seemed to be lost...and I suppose I completely forgot to see he got un-lost in my concern for his mental state at the end of the conversation. It seemed prudent to retreat hastily," she admitted candidly.

"I'm sure it was," the Duke wasn't happy, but it could only be told in a more firm set to the muscles in his temples. He almost-glared at her for a moment longer, then asked, "And in your search to understand why you have no interest in young men yet, did you learn anything new last night with a stranger in the castle?"

Raynessia blinked and stared at him stunned. It took a while for her brain to begin moving again. "No, Grandfather," she said humbly. "I found him more boorish than most and given how frightening he became, I'd much rather not ever see him again.

"His younger brother is far easier to have around, although he's also someone I preferred to see from a distance and not talk to. He was kept busy so that was easy enough."

Sergiad's eyes narrowed at her again and this time his fist clenched slightly. She was about to become as afraid of her grandfather at the moment as she had of Berenshilde the night before. "And are you perhaps supposed to be married to that one, in order to form some sort of alliance between the two lands?"

Raynessia waved a hand desperately to ward off the thought. "No, I'm sure not, Grandfather." She paused, thinking about it. "Although we are two of the few nobles who have had such experiences with Adventurers." That didn't help her case or her Grandfather's mood.

She hurried to add, "But already by now I would have been infatuated with him since he is also of the age for young men to be interested. He neither sought me out nor was I inclined to increase our contact at any time."

She almost asked if her grandfather knew what the Oracle had been, but stopped and thought better of it. He was already upset enough it would be best to let him calm down before asking any more about the cursed brother. She held the humble and obedient pose until her grandfather gave a curt nod and turned to leave.

"They've left already this morning. Likely we'll have to suffer with him one more time. Please try to stay as far away as possible from him at that time. If he's not been allowed a reprieve, he is likely to be very dangerous."

Raynessia's hand went to her heart as the blood ran from her. She swallowed and curtsied, but almost fell down for it. "No Grandfather. I'd rather not meet up with him if that is the case. ...Are you sure he has to come back again?"

He sighed and his shoulders slumped slightly. "Yes, though I'd also rather it weren't the case. Such things begun in a quest must be resolved again. I'll see you're followed by a guard openly while he's here, then."

He left her to go and brood. She was completely unable to return to her task at hand - which had only been to find a place to hide and nap. Sleep and blessed mental emptiness wouldn't come.

She finally gave up and found some young lords and ladies to distract her. She spent the time comparing them to her Adventurer friends and wishing she could be distracted by them instead.