Actions

Work Header

The Royal Romance - The Valtoria Diaries

Summary:

Now that the wedding is over and Cordonia is saved, how will the new Duke and Duchess of Valtoria adjust to everyday life?

*These characters are not mine, but I wanted to explore what happened in the gap between the wedding and the honeymoon a little further*

Chapter 1: That went without saying

Chapter Text

“I don’t think I’ve ever been so tired,” Jen sighed, as she rested her head on her husband’s shoulder as their car pulled into the palace grounds. “I neeeed sleeeeep…” She shut her eyes.

“I’m not exactly planning on pulling a late one myself,” she heard him say. “But, we need to show our faces.”

They were staying one more night in the palace before their journey to Valtoria, and Rick had arranged for a small gathering tonight. It was only going to be their nearest and dearest, an informal buffet style meal, and drinks. But Jen wasn’t exactly relishing it after how exhausting yesterday had been, both mentally and physically. And despite their sleepy afternoon on the beach, she was still feeling like she needed to stop the world and get off. Taking Maxwell with her, of course. That went without saying.

The car pulled to a stop, and she felt him nudge her gently. “Come on, sleepyhead..”

“Ugh. Your fault. You wore me out.” She gradually pulled her head up from its happy place, and opened her eyes to see his looking into them with a wicked glint, making her wonder why she’d ever wanted to close them in the first place.

“You weren’t complaining at the time.”

She giggled. “I have no response to that comment.”

“Come on, then.” He got out of the car and held the door open for her. “Your Grace.”

“Thank you, Your Grace,” she said as she got out of the car, being careful that her dress remained in place. It was the midnight blue number he’d bought her for their engagement photo, one of the shorter ones in her wardrobe.

“Ooh, you’re the first person to call me that!”

“I think you were the first person to call me that too..”

They walked together into the palace, with Mara following a short distance behind. They were met first by Madeleine, her usual complacent sneer on her face, and sarcasm in her tone.

“Ah. The Duke and Duchess of Valtoria. Congratulations. I trust your first day of married life has been enjoyable.”

Jen looked at Maxwell, and the two of them burst out laughing.

Madeleine huffed. “Don’t answer that. His Majesty King Rick is awaiting your company in the drawing room.”

“Let’s go!” Maxwell announced.

Hand in hand they wandered into the palace drawing room. Jen was relieved to see that there were only six people in the room; Rick, Hana, Drake, Leo, Olivia, and Bertrand. Chance was there too, sitting at Hana’s feet. They all stood up to greet Jen and Maxwell.

Hana ran forwards first to give them both an excited hug. “How was your first day as Mr and Mrs Beaumont?”

“Pretty good,” Maxwell said. “She hasn’t had any complaints so far..”

“I trust the beach was to your satisfaction?” Rick said to them.

That it definitely had been. “Thank you so much for letting us use it today,” Jen said. “It was a lovely surprise.”

“It was nothing,” Rick said.

“I thought the minimoon was a really cute idea, personally,” Hana chipped in.

“I just hope we can have an actual honeymoon soon,” Jen said, wistfully.

“Obviously, with everything that happened yesterday evening, we need to ensure that Anton’s trial and sentencing are carried out urgently,” Rick said. “And tomorrow morning’s briefing will fill everyone in on the plans for that.”

“Yeah. I get that..”

“But once the process is complete,” Rick went on, his eyes smiling, “How would you two like to spend a fortnight on the Crown’s private tropical island?”

Maxwell’s eyes almost popped out of his head. “What.. really?”

Rick laughed. “It sits there empty most of the year. It really isn’t too much of an inconvenience.”

Maxwell suddenly hugged Rick forcefully. “I do not deserve a friend like you.”

“You do,” Rick said, hugging him back. “You deserve all that you have. And you need to believe that you do.”

Jen was so touched by this exchange that she almost thought she might cry, although she was pretty much out of tears after the last forty-eight hours. “Rick, to hear you say that means so much. Thank you. And thank you for the offer of the island. It sounds perfect.”

“Eugh,” came a voice from behind her, as the two friends parted. “All this unnecessary affection.”

“No-one asked you, Olivia,” Drake moaned.

“But you were thinking it, weren’t you?”

Drake raised an eyebrow at Olivia. Jen suppressed a giggle, as she knew Olivia was probably right.

“Please, help yourselves to food,” Rick said, pointing to a lavish spread at the back of the room. “We’re all tired after last night’s events, so I won’t be expecting anyone to stay up too late. I thought the more informal, the better.”

“I did manage to come up with a perfect informal post wedding buffet playlist when I was chillaxing on the beach with my hot wife earlier,” Maxwell pointed out, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

“Marriage hasn’t changed you, has it,” Leo said, clapping Maxwell on the shoulder.

“No it hasn’t,” Jen agreed, her eyes lingering on her husband. “And it better not.”