Actions

Work Header

The Guardian of Alola

Summary:

She was the First Champion, and Hau was the next.

She was her protector, and now Lillie is the one who protects.

She was once at his reach, but now Gladion can only chase after her phantoms.

Two years they spent growing together and five years spent mourning for the one who abandoned. But what secrets these years will unravel when the power of Alola beckons its children?

Notes:

1. This story is made up of elements from both the games and the anime. Thus, it will divert from the canon plots. I mean, what do you expect? This is fanfiction.

2. Note that this story will not follow the 4-moves format, just like in the games.

3. The personalities of the characters are based on my interpretations of them. The names will follow the default or canon format.

4. The two Moon(s) from the Pokémon Moon and Ultra Moon games are the same. Eleven-year-old Moon has the default appearance from Pokémon Moon, while a year after, she took in the default from Pokémon Ultra Moon.

Chapter 1: To The Five Years After (Part 1)

Chapter Text

The Champion leaned against the cold throne, barely listening to the approaching footsteps of another challenger. The strongest Trainer in Alola has stopped counting since the first day the elusive title bequeathed to him. For him, it was meaningless. He might have tried so hard five years ago, but now, it was a noose – strangling him and killing the essence of what makes a champion. After all, what is the use of being the second Alolan Champion when he never got the chance of defeating the First?

For the five long years since that fateful day, he wondered why the First abandoned the hard-fought championship and left without an explanation nor a goodbye to the people she would be leaving behind.

Was she tired of being the one all of Alola depends on?

Has the burden of being the Champion finally broken her?

Or was it them being the ones to push her around?

He will never know the answer. She was gone, gone for five long years, and she brought with her the life of the region of Alola.


“Another long day?”

Hau turned to the Flying-type member of the Elite Four. Kahili walked out of her chamber just as the second Alolan Champion descended from the top. The dark green-haired young man gave her a half-hearted nod.

“I counted four.” The golfer continued. “They’re getting stronger. The island challengers, I mean.”

“Or we’re just getting older.” A voice boomed in the polished chamber.

The two turned to see the Rock-type member of the Elite Four, and still the current Kahuna of Akala Island strode toward them. She brushed a stray strand of her hair as she regarded the two. “Acerola and Molayne went home just a while ago. I already told the guards not to let anyone in for today. Of course, there were protests from the challengers, but what can they do? None of them going to be Champion without battling us first.”

“A rest is nice.” Hau agreed as he stretched his arms. “My arms stiff from throwing Pokéballs all day. My team needs their rest too.”

“I suggest next week,” Kahili said, tapping her golden club on the glass flooring. “Open the League next week.”

Olivia hummed. “Make that three weeks. Akala’s festival for the Tapu is coming in a week, and we got to discuss preparation for the coming League championship. We will have our hands full by then.”

“Got it.” Hau nodded. “I will notify Molayne and Acerola tomorrow.”

“You should come too,” Olivia told him. “Having the Champion around will spice things up.”

Hau placed his arms behind his head and grinned. “You mean bait crowds in?”

“The Tapu will strike us down if you don’t come,” Olivia warned, though the playful glint in her eyes had not gone unnoticed. “You know how Tapu Lele is.”

Hau has yet to see the Psychic/Fairy guardian deity in the flesh. The only guardian deity he has seen so far was Melemele’s Tapu Koko, and that seemed long ago during the battle against the Ultra Beasts six years ago. All he has were stories about the Tapu from Akala’s Kahuna. “Alright. As long as there is malasada, I’m in.”

“Ah, yes. Malasada. The only weakness of our great Champion!” Olivia mused. “The next time I challenge you for your title, I will bring malasadas with me. Let’s see how long you will last.”

“That will be a scene to behold.” A small smile beheld the usually stern Elite Four member. “Though I doubt Old Hala will be as amused as any of us.”

“Tutu might charge in here like a Tauros,” Hau said as he adjusted his bag over his shoulder. “Speaking of Tauros, I promised to help in herding up the Tauros today. New challengers will be taking Tutu’s Grand Trial tomorrow.”

“Every batch gets more interesting,” Kahili said, eyeing the Champion. “But your generation is one never to be forgotten.”

“Ah…” Hau looked away. “Yeah. You’re right.”

Olivia coughed. Kahili gave her a stern look but relented. Even after five years, the wound still pains some of them. She swung her golf club over her shoulder. “I will go ahead.” She said. “I still have a convention to attend tomorrow. I will see you then.” She swiveled on her heels and strode toward her chamber. Without looking back, the doors shut behind her with a resounding SHINK!

Olivia put a hand on his shoulder. “Don’t be too hard on yourself. She made her decision. You’re the Alolan Champion now.”

“It’s just…it does not feel the right,” Hau explained, visibly frustrated. “I mean, what’s the point of being the Champion if I haven’t defeated the strongest Trainer in Alola? I made a promise that someday I would defeat the person I looked up to.  It will never happen now.”

“She has her reasons. The least we could do was to respect them.” Olivia said. “Though, I believe she may someday return.”

“I wish. I want to show her how strong my team and I have gotten since our last battle. Then, I will defeat her and finally grant my promise.”

“The two Alolan Champions pitting against each other….” Olivia mused. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“It will be the biggest event in Alola!” Hau beamed as he spread his arms wide. “Bigger than the future Aether President going against Masked Royale!”

Olivia laughed. “I got to say. That kid, Gladion, has guts. Didn’t expect that from him.”

Hau crossed his arms over his chest and placed his right palm over his face. A serious look on his face as he imitated the two-year older blond boy. “Hmph! Aren’t you getting old for this, Masked Royale? Why don’t I show you how it’s done?”

Olivia guffawed. “Good one!”

Hau grinned. “I’m looking forward to their next showdown. Anyway, I got to go. Tutu might already be looking for me.”

“Take care.”

Hau waved. “See you at the festival!”


DING DONG DING!

“Calling Miss Lillie to the conservation area. Professor Burnet is looking for you.”

A blonde-haired lady of seventeen years looked up to the nearest speaker attached to the wall. The Rockruff in her arms barked happily, its tail wagging energetically.

“Young Miss, it looks like you’re being called.” The purple-haired woman beside her said. “Leave these Rockruff to me.”

“Please look after them, Miss Wicke.” Lillie handed the Rockruff to the chief branch officer of Aether Paradise.

“Don’t worry, Young Miss.” Wicke chuckled as the Rockruff wriggled in her arms and licked her cheek. Another barked at her feet as it chased the tail of one of its brethren. “I doubt they will give me trouble. They are all good boys.”

Lillie smiled as she shed her pristine lab coat and slung it on the crook of her arm. “They are. Just make sure they don’t go near the candied berries. We don’t want a repeat of last month.”

Wicke winced. The memory of sugar-initiated hyperactive Rockruff was something that a member of the Aether Paradise could not easily forget. “That didn’t turn out so great.”

“I’ll be back soon.” Lillie waved and crossed toward the open gateway of the first floor of Aether Paradise.

The receptionists greeted her, and she smiled back as she wove her way toward the lift. With a few taps and a scan of her palm, the platform whirred to life and ascended toward the glass-domed conservation area. The Alolan sky was clear and blue, and warm sunlight streamed through the glass panes, illuminating the lush, artificial forest that the conservation area houses. Lillie crossed the white walkways toward a small shed under one of the largest trees in the area. Surrounded by a flock of Pikipek was Professor Burnet, one of her mentors.

“Professor, you called for me?” Lillie called out as she approached the white-haired professor.

Burnet beamed at her apprentice. “Lillie! Oh yes, I did. I would like for you to run an errand for me. I ordered a box of specialized wax for the bird Pokémon from the Pokémon Center last week. Today’s the day it will arrive in Hau’oli City. Could you get it for me?”

Lillie nodded. “I will, Professor.”

Burnet stood up and dusted her pants. From her pocket, she pulled out a slip of paper and gave it to Lillie. “Here. This is the receipt. Just give this to Nurse Joy, and she will give the package to you.”

“Got it.” Lillie took the paper and slipped it inside her skirt’s pocket.

“Oh, and come by my house and tell my husband I’m going home late. I need to do a checkup on the Pichu. They’re due to be freed to the wild tomorrow.”

Lillie nodded. “I’ll be back soon.”

“Take care!”


The ride to Melemele island took more or less fifteen minutes. Her Ride Pokémon, Altaria, soared above the Alolan sky gracefully. Its thick, fluffy feathers melded with the clouds dotting the sky. The air was exceptionally crisp and cool; this month, the Alolan temperature is cooler than usual. Below them, waves lapped against the shores, and flocks of Wingull accompanied them in their flight. From their right, she could see the island of Akala and the plumes of smoke rising steadily from the mouth of the Wela volcano. Ahead of them, the lively city of Hau’oli came into view.

Tapping the side of Altaria’s neck gently, she directed the Humming Pokémon toward the Pokémon Center, and they landed down in front of the red-roofed building. Lillie climbed off her Ride Pokémon and thanked it before it took off back to the sky. The young apprentice crossed the automatic glass doors of the center and headed straight to the reception where Nurse Joy was returning a trial goer’s fully-healed team. Judging from the look of the eleven-year-old kid, he has yet to pass Hala’s Grand Trial.

“Good morning, Nurse Joy!” Lillie greeted. “Professor Burnet sent me on an errand to get a package for her.” She took out the receipt and showed it to her. “The professor gave this to me.”

Nurse Joy took and examined it. “Ah, yes! She ordered a box of specialized wax from the Sinnoh region last week. I believe it’s for maintaining the wing strength of bird Pokémon. Wait here. I’ll go get it.”

Lillie nodded, and Nurse Joy went out of the reception area and into the door behind. Lillie half-turned and looked around her surroundings. A few Trainers were seated by the waiting area – resting and tending to their Pokémon. Some were lining up at the PokéMart at the right corner, while a few were hanging by the café. Two Trainers whom she believed to be from another region were talking.

“Have you heard? A Pokémon went berserk and attacked a village this morning.” One gushed. “It happened here in Alola. In Poni island, I heard.”

“Man, that’s scary! But why isn’t it in the news?”

“Probably because it happened just earlier today. I heard the Kahuna of Poni island is on the hunt for that Pokémon.”

A Pokémon going berserk? Lillie moved to the other side of the reception to hear more.

“You think the Champion’s gonna get involved?”

“Most likely, though don’t expect much. I heard that the second Champion didn’t get his title by beating the first. The First Champion resigned and left Alola years ago. No one knows why, though.”

“That sucks, man! Bet you that the First Champion is hella strong. The locals even call her the Savior of Alola, and I bet my money it’s not for show.”

“Nah, keep your money. I’m not gonna argue about someone who has defeated and tamed Legendary Pokémon from another world.”

“Heh. Too bad we can’t even get a glimpse of that powerhouse.”

A soft Thump! snapped Lillie’s attention away from the foreign Trainers. Nurse Joy has returned with a small box carefully sealed at the sides. “Thank you for waiting. Here is the package addressed to Professor Burnet.”

Lillie took the package gratefully. “Thank you, Nurse Joy.”

“No problem. Just make sure not to drop it. The contents are fragile.”

Lillie nodded and waved goodbye. Tucking it carefully between her arms, she headed east of Hau’oli City, past the Trainers’ School, and to the Outskirts. She paused at the painfully familiar blue house sitting just past Professor Kukui’s house by the beach. The windows were opened, and a calm breeze moved past the curtains. Lillie should have gone straight to the professor’s house, but her feet brought her to the porch of the former Champion’s house. She knocked three times, and the door swung open.

The young apprentice expected to be greeted by her best friend’s mother and her Kantonian Meowth, but instead, a black-haired man of mid-forties welcomed him at the door. He was handsome, and he donned his lab coat like it was made for him to wear. His platinum-blue eyes blinked at her through his rectangular glasses.

“Ah,” He smiled. His eyes crinkled in warmth and slow recognition. “You must be Lillie. Are you perhaps looking for Selene?”

“Er…um..” Lillie shifted nervously side-to-side. Selene, she learned, was the name of her best friend’s mother. It was rather an interesting wordplay that Moon’s parents named her after the meaning of her mother’s name. “Yes….”

The man scratched his head sheepishly. “Ah, I’m sorry. I haven’t introduced myself. My name’s Elio. I’m Moon’s father, and I work as a Pokémon researcher in Kanto. I just arrived here yesterday.”

Lillie bowed. A gesture she learned from Moon as a proper greeting in Kanto. “N-Nice to meet you, Professor Elio.”

“No need to be so polite.” Elio smiled. “It’s the first we’ve met, but I heard lots about you from my wife and my daughter. Selene showed a few pictures of you with my daughter.”

Lillie’s eyes lighted up. “Really?”

“Yes.” Elio chuckled. “Moon was really passionate about telling me about her adventures with her friends. She told about you, your brother Gladion, and a boy named Hau.”

“Ummm…yes. We did travel together.” Lillie shied a bit. “Moon was always the one to look after us.”

Elio smiled. “That’s very like her. Always putting others before herself.” He shoved his hands inside the pockets of his lab coat. “At any case, my wife’s not here at the moment. She’s out to the market to do a bit of shopping. I apologized for keeping you long.”

Lillie shook her head and smiled. “Not at all. I’m actually glad to meet you.”

“So do I. Thank you for taking care of my daughter and, well, going with her crazy antics at times.” He chuckled. “Though, I’m the one to blame. My girl got it from me, after all.” He looked at his watch and jumped in surprise. “Ah! Is it already time? I’m going to be late!” He raised a palm apologetically to Lillie. “I’m sorry, but I have to go. It was nice meeting you, Lillie.”

He held out a hand which Lillie took and shook. “Likewise, Professor Elio.”

“Come back later. I’m sure Selene will be back by then.”

“I will.”

Chapter 2: To The Five Years After (Part 2)

Chapter Text

“Young Master, here are the documents for the annual charity as well as the forms requested by the Champion.”

“Leave them here.”

Gladion leaned against his leather chair as he flipped through the papers clipped on a manila folder. Wicke gently placed the documents on the future president’s desk and arranged them neatly in a pile according to priority. She glanced at the young man’s Pokémon partner snoozing under the Alolan sun and back to its Trainer. “The League Championship is approaching fast. It’s already the eighth. Are you going to participate, Young Master?”

Silvally perked up at the words League Championship and waited for its Trainer’s answer with expectant eyes. Gladion took a sip of coffee and placed the cup back on its saucer. He did not even spare a glance at either Wicke or Silvally. “No.”

“Ah…” Wicke swore Silvally gave a disappointed whimper before tucking itself back to its daytime nap.

“It’s not worth it.” He continued as he flipped another paper. “No offense to Hau but…” His voice trailed off. His eyes were still on the folder, but his gaze seemed distant. It lasted for a brief second until he waved it the topic off. “Has Lillie returned yet?”

“The Young Miss hasn’t returned yet,” Wicke answered as she observed the young man. “Professor Burnet has asked her to deliver a message to Professor Kukui. I believed she would return within half an hour.”

“I see…” Gladion closed the folder and nodded at the documents that Wicke brought in. “Tell Moth- no, the President, that I will bring her the documents as soon as I finished reviewing them. I’ll note down any necessary recommendations if any.”

“Understood.” Wicke nodded. “Then, I will take my leave.” She walked toward the door and gave the future president a worried glance before closing the door behind her.

Gladion dropped the folder on his desk and sighed. Silvally peered at him with one eye as the young man rose from his seat and stood by the glass wall overlooking the Aether Paradise mansion. Employees walked back and forth on the courtyard to the mansion and the Foundation as they delivered their reports to his mother. Someday, he will be the one they will be directly referring to. He will be more or less cooped up in the property, just like his mother.

“Kyuu!”

He half-turned and saw Shiron, his sister’s Alolan Vulpix standing by the doorway. Silvally jumped up from his nest and trotted cheerfully toward the multi-tailed Pokémon. They rubbed noses as a greeting and pranced around each other. A head poked from the doorway and called him. “Big Brother? Sorry for disturbing but there’s something I wished to ask you.”

Gladion gestured for her. “Come in.”

Lillie let herself in, careful not to stumble upon the playing Pokémon. Shiron was with her mother when she left for an errand. The Pokémon was waiting by the lobby with her fur smooth and shiny from top to paws when she returned. It seemed her mother had given her a throughout grooming.

“How did your errand go?”

“Oh, it went well. I already gave Professor Burnet her package and passed along her message to Professor Kukui. And well…” Lillie fidgeted with the hem of her lab coat. “I met Moon’s father.”

Gladion looked at her like he heard things. “What?”

“I met Moon’s father.” She repeated. This time, however, louder. “I visited Missus Selene’s house earlier, but she wasn’t there at the moment. Instead, I was greeted by Professor Elio, Moon’s father. He is a researcher in Kanto and has just arrived here in Alola.”

“Hold up.” Gladion walked toward his desk and picked up the folder he was checking out minutes ago. He flipped through the pages, his eyes intent on finding a specific page. “His name is Elio, isn’t that right?”

“Yeah.”

He paused at a page. “I knew it.”

“What?”

Gladion passed the file to Lillie, who took it gingerly. She scanned the page and let out a gasp. “It is him!”

Gladion leaned against his desk. “Professor Kukui recommended a researcher from Kanto to help study the Ultra Beasts and the Ultra Space. He also said that this person might be able to lend a hand in researching the significance of the ancient Alolan lore to the region’s history. He sent the resume as well as the other files three days ago. The President and I are supposed to meet up with him today.”

“I didn’t know it would be her father.” Gladion ran a frustrated hand through his blond locks. “Hah. What a terrible twist of fate.”

Lillie placed the file down on the desk and reached out to her brother. She pursed her lips. Other than their mother, Hau, and Wicke, she was aware of the lingering feelings his brother has for the former Champion. He never had any closure or any knowledge that the girl he loved would reciprocate the same feelings. The last he has seen of her was another title defense that ended in a lose all the same. Then, in the next dawn, she was already gone. No warnings, no goodbyes.

Lillie squeezed his hand. “It will be fine. It’s just another work; nothing related to Moon.” Yet, her voice hesitated at the last statement.

“Yeah. Nothing personal.” Gladion took a deep breath before composing himself. He tugged both edges of his Aether coat and called for Silvally to return to his ball. Shiron leapt to Lillie’s awaiting arms.

“Let’s go. I’m sure Mother’s out by now to meet our guest.”


“Hffft!” A loud THUMP! rattled a wooden wagon. The former Team Skull leader nodded at his work and called out to the Kahuna of Melemele Island. “I’m done ‘ere! Anythin’ else?”

Hala inspected his work and nodded appreciatively. He exchanged a few words with the wagon owner before they departed for their destination to Hau’oli City. “Well done! That’s it for today.” Hala said. “Come, the villagers prepared some food for us.”

Guzma followed him outside of his home and gratefully accepted the cool drink and malasada offered to him. He sat down on one of the wooden benches under a shade of a tall tree. The old-age stage used for the Grand Trial stood proudly at the middle, where his former grunts were training with their Pokémon. Team Reskull, as they would call themselves these past years.

“Still doing work for the old Kahuna?”

He looked up to see his former admin standing beside him with a hand on her hip. The woman may have opted to wear more decent clothes in the past years, but there is still a hint of a rebel in her style. Just like his former enforcer and soon-to-be Aether President. “Good to see ya, Plums. Still tryin’ to take down the League Champion?”

A smile quirked on the woman’s lips. “Yes, but not as frequent as it used to be.” She sat down beside him at his invitation. “Work’s been demanding lately. How about you? I heard rumors of the League opening for the public after five years. Things have been grim lately, and it seemed they wanted to do something to cheer people up.”

Grim, since the First Alolan Champion quitted her job suddenly. “Akala’s festival not enough?”

“No.” Plumeria’s eyes softened. “The people of Alola do not easily forget, Guz.”

She knew it affected him too, just as it did to her and the rest of the former Team Skull. The little brat is like a little sister to them and a motivator and a protector. She’s the one who pleaded to the people of Alola to give them a second chance and helped in every way she could to earn their trust for them. She would often visit them and take the time to chat until it was time to go home.

Guzma’s hands tightened around the condensing glass. “I don’t know, Plums. The fire’s gone out fer long.”

There was a moment of silence. Plumeria leaned and watched the ones she considered as her little brothers and sisters mingled with each other. “Well, I’m joining.” Plumeria declared.

Guzma looked at her. “Why?”

“I dunno.” She answered. “For some terrible reason, I felt the need to. Like it is the time.” She chuckled. “Maybe this will be the time I get to be Champion?”

She looked at Guzma, and both laughed together. “Yeah, well, tell that to malasada boy.” Guzma grinned. “He doesn’t seem keen into givin’ up the throne.”

“He has to, eventually.” Plumeria said and stood up. “You should consider it, boss.” She said as she nodded at him. “Trust me on this one, Guz. Things will be different.”

Guzma glanced at Hala talking to one of the villagers. “I’ll… I’ll think about it, Plums.”

“You do that.” Plumeria said. “I’ll see you when I see you?”

“Yeah, sure.”

Chapter 3: To Akala's Festival

Chapter Text

The following week was a flurry of activities. Akala was buzzing with excitement as decorations adorned the streets, and booths were set up on the path to the Ruins of Life. Bushels of colorful and fragrant flowers garlanded the Ruins, and offerings of food were piled up on the wooden platform of the inner chamber. A wooden stage was set up near the Ruins overlooking the vast sea. Dancers swayed and glided with the heart-thrumming traditional Alolan music. People, locals and visitors alike, crowded the path to partake in the festivities.

“I got to say,” A man spoke up amidst the beating of drums. “Alolan festivals are more lively than Kantonian ones.”

“It seemed you have already taken a liking of our region, Professor Elio.” The Kahuna of Akala said as she led them through the crowd. Olivia has met up with Gladion and Lillie at the entrance of Konikoni City. Gladion was attending in his mother’s steed, and Lillie decided to tag along. At the President’s request, Moon’s father went with them to experience Alola more.

“What’s not to love?” Elio said and gestured at their surroundings. “You could see an important piece of the culture and history of Alola in this festival alone. Unlike in Kanto, the historical and traditional significance of the festivals has started to dull. It is an unfortunate effect of continuous modernization.”

Olivia laughed heartily. “Now, we know where Moon got her wits from.”

Elio paused in front of a booth selling wooden carvings with familiar symbols that he had read from available historical books. He picked an odd crescent-shaped carving with a circular extension at the inner part that seemed to be punched from one side.

Olivia looked at what caught the attention of the researcher. A smile quirked on her lips at the familiar symbol. “Read about it in a book, Professor?”

“Ah, yes!” His eyes glittered in intellectual excitement. “This is the symbol of the Moone and its emissary. I haven’t done extensive research about it yet, but I will do so once I get to visit the Altar of the Moone.” He inspected the carving. “Incredible, noh? Such a simple image that held a region’s worth of history. Truly fantastic.”

“It is.” Olivia agreed. “It is.” And it is even more fantastic to know that your daughter once wielded the power of the beast of the Moone. She glanced to the Aether siblings, who were checking out a food booth across them. From where she was standing, she could see a glimpse of a purple tucked in the folds of the younger Aether’s skirt.

She turned back to the professor. “Are you going to buy it, Professor?”

Elio placed the carving reverently back on the table. “No. As wonderful as it is, I am looking for something better for the two most wonderful women of my life.”

Olivia smiled. “Whatever it is, I’m sure they will love it.” She called out to the siblings and gestured to the path. “Come. The Ruins of Life is this way.” 


“Big Brother? Is something the matter?”

Gladion reluctantly peeled his eyes off at the gathered crowd and to his sister’s worried green eyes. Moon’s father was standing beside them. Olivia has to separate ways to oversee the final preparations for the last event. People flocked the sides of the wooden stage as they watched the fire dancing led by the Fire Trial Captain, Kiawe. Torches were already lit at both sides of the path leading to the Ruins before the sunset earlier. The day was drawing to a close, and so was the festival.

“No. It’s nothing.”

A lie. Since arriving at Akala Island, he felt eyes watching him. It came and go, but whenever he looked behind his shoulder, no one seemed to be seeking him. Yes, the press is present, but they seemed to be more intent on covering the whole festival than him. The only time they approached him was for a short interview - where his mother is and what he thought of the festival. His answers were quick yet straightforward, and they did not ask for anything more.

Lillie seemed to buy it and looked back to the stage. The beat of the drums was already fading as the fire dancing reached an end. Pillars of fire roared at the night sky as Kiawe and his Alolan Marowak companions ended the performance with a final stunt. The spectators cheered and clapped loudly as they bowed and left the stage.

Olivia climbed up, and the crowd silenced to hear her speak. “Alola ahiahi, people of Alola, as well as those who have come to visit us from other regions. We are grateful that you have come to join us in this important celebration, and we are more thankful that the gods have granted us this very day. Tonight, we celebrate the guardian deity of Akala, Tapu Lele, and its blessings that bring healing to the region of Alola.”

“Thousands of years ago, four sibling kings ruled the four islands of Alola. The king of Akala became the herald of Tapu Lele and wielded the deity’s powers to protect his beloved island. When the beasts from other worlds came to invade Alola, the king and Tapu Lele fought them together and saved the island. The king may be no longer, but I, the Kahuna of Akala, has taken his place as those before me. To show our gratitude to the guardian deity, I invite you to one last event. A Pokémon battle against our very own Champion of Alola!”

The crowd roared excitedly and chanted as Hau joined Olivia on the stage. Hau grinned as he waved at the crowd. He paused as his eyes landed on Lillie and gave her a wink. Gladion rolled his eyes. He might have accepted that his sister and the Alolan Champion have been dating for years now, but he wished they would tone down the public display of affection. Because of them, he became the subject of people’s attention as one of the ‘Top Single Men of Alola’. First place since Ilima got snagged, according to Lillie.

“Now, who would be given the honor to challenge our Champion?”

Gladion flinched as the piercing gaze that was directed to him returned. He turned around wildly as his hand gripped Silvally’s Pokéball tightly. It wriggled slightly on his hand as the chimera sensed its Trainer’s alarm. Who? Who did that come from?

His eyes darted to and fro the crowd — the mass of moving heads and arms blocking parts of his view. The cheers of the public as the challenger was picked drowned in the ringing of his ears. He felt Lillie grab his arm and saw her lips moving at the corner of his eyes, but her voice filled with concern seemed far away. Moon’s father seemed to notice his sudden distress and asked what it was.

Gladion’s lips failed to answer as his green eyes finally met them. Two fiery eyes the color of lava from Wela Mountain and the setting sun. He was standing at the edge of the crowd, watching them intently and never breaking his gaze. His lips moved slowly, forming three words.

They are coming.


The second after the mysterious person mouthed those words, the crowd’s cheering transformed into terrifying screams. The public scrambled and scattered as a shrill cry erupted from the heavens. Hau and Olivia barely managed to dive to safety out of the creature’s range as it landed down on the stage. Gladion pulled Lillie protectively in his arms as they stumbled away from the crowd and into the safety of the trees. Lilie patted her skirt frantically and breathed in relief at the familiar, round bulge in her pocket. Gladion peered from where they had hidden. Olivia and Hau were standing not far away from them, facing what used to be the stage. Looming over them was a creature Gladion thought that he would never see again.

“That is…!”

The towering mass of living stones shuddered. Multiple bricks flipped disjointedly as its eyes pulsated in sickly purple. Above it, the Ultra Wormhole that has silently disgorged the Ultra Beast pulsed in the same color. UB Assembly writhed as if it was on the verge of collapsing before letting out an unholy screech. Its arms extended and lashed out to Olivia, who barely ducked out of the way. Hau grabbed one of his Pokéballs and called for Crabominable. The Pokémon slammed its claw into the ground as spires of glowing rocks blocked the incoming arms.

“Big Brother, what’s happening?” Lillie asked, clutching her older brother’s sleeve. “Why is there an Ultra Beast here?”

“I don’t know!” Gladion gritted his teeth. “Lillie, I want you to call Mother and tell her about the situation.” He reached to his belt and pulled out Silvally’s Pokéball. “We will need that Beast balls. For now, we will do what we can to buy time.”

Lillie pursed her lips and nodded. She rummaged into her pocket and pulled out her phone. Her hands trembled as she typed and waited for the call to connect. Gladion wasted no time and joined into the fray. Hau could only hold out for long, having the lesser experience of hunting down Ultra Beasts between the two. Olivia’s Midnight Lycanroc following up Crabominable’s attacks as his Trainer directed Professor Elio and the last of the crowd out of harm’s way.

“Silvally, use Multi-Attack!”

Stakataka screeched as it stumbled back at the impact. Gladion slid next to Hau, who grinned at him and gave him a thumbs up. “Thanks for the assist!”

“Don’t celebrate yet!” Gladion reminded him. “It isn’t over.”

Olivia ran up to them, her eyes narrowing at the Ultra Beast. “What’s an Ultra Beast doing here, Gladion? I thought all the Ultra Wormholes that Necrozma opened had been closed years ago!”

“Maybe it’s one of those that escaped back then?”

“No.” Gladion scowled. “We made sure that we captured and sent all of them back. Me and…” He trailed off and shook his head. A frown deepened in his features. “I doubt Looker and Anabel would overlook something like this. Even so, it’s been years! We should have known sooner if there’s still left.”

“Guys!” Hau called out. “It’s coming back up!”

Gladion turned his attention back to the Ultra Beast. The Ultra Wormhole was still open above them, swirling in purple light. Something feels off. The Ultra Beast’s eyes flipped in and out erratically as it shuddered. Its Beast Aura flared to life into a chilling, purple light. It stomped against the ground as psychic power began to build up around it.

“Tsk!” Gladion pulled out the Dark Memory and threw it in Silvally’s direction. The disk inserted itself into the drive on its head, and Silvally’s feather crest and tail turned black. The artificial Pokémon launched itself to block Stakataka’s Zen Headbutt. Stakataka lashed its leg out again and slammed against Silvally, sending it skidding to the ground.

“Crabominable, Ice Hammer!”

The monstrous chunk of ice slammed against the Ultra Beast, sending it sprawling to the ground. Olivia ordered her Lycanroc to follow up with Stone Edge. Switching with Fighting Memory, Gladion commanded Silvally for one last Multi-Attack. Stakataka tried to dodge but was too weak to get out of the way. The impact sent a shockwave, making the three Trainers reel back as dust and smoke exploded like a sandstorm atop Memorial Hill.

Hau coughed as his irritated eyes blinked against the falling dust. “Is it…is it over?”

Gladion narrowed his eyes at the shape of Silvally staring down at the fallen beast. “Yeah…seems like it.” The artificial Pokémon looked quite smug as he trotted back to its Trainer. Its fin-like tail wagging in triumphant glee at dealing the last blow.

Gladion scratched it behind its ears (something he discovered it loved so much because of a certain someone years ago) before approaching the Ultra Beast cautiously. Hau stood back as he watched with apprehensive eyes. Olivia crossed her arms with a huff yet kept a watchful eye in case the otherworldly creature decided for one last counterattack.

“We need to capture it,” Gladion said. He looked up and narrowed his eyes at the swirling Ultra Wormhole. “But first, we need to close that. I’ll get Lillie to call out Lunala.”

“It’s Nebby,” Hau stated what is considered a piece of common knowledge among them. “It got a nickname, you know.”

Gladion glared at him. “Nebby, Lunala, it does not matter. It’s still the same Legendary Pokémon.” He called back Silvally and stalked away. “I’ll get Lil-“

BOOM!

A loud clap of thunder stopped him in his tracks. He sharply looked up and saw the Ultra Wormhole now swirling faster. White and purple lightning crackled at the edges of the hole, and the wind began to pick up speed. Dust and leaves swirled around them in an invisible twister.

“What in the -?”

The three watched as a seemingly invisible force picked up the Rampart Pokémon like a ragdoll and lifted it upward to the gaping hole in the sky. The Ultra Wormhole swallowed the otherworldly Pokémon and promptly shrunk and closed like a flash in the television screen. A last peal of thunder echoed throughout the sacred hill, and the sky cleared as if nothing had happened.

Chapter 4: To Catch Those Red Eyes (Part 1)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lusamine sipped her tea as she went over the report for the fifteenth time. She sent Wicke and Faba to Akala Island once the authorities deemed it safe to travel again. Memorial Hill is still prohibited from any civilian while the investigation is underway. The only ones allowed are the members of the Alolan League, the Aether Foundation, and those authorized to be within the premises. She stared at the paper containing the only firsthand account of the whole ordeal. Her son’s handwriting is neat and professional – years of grooming into the role of the next Aether President finally bearing fruit. Yet, she could not shake the memory of anger in his eyes as he dropped the paper to her desk before flying back to the sacred hill. It was not any anger; it was of disappointment, of regret, of hate.

To whom was that emotion directed? Was it to me? Or was it…?

Her eyes drifted to one of the framed photographs propped on her desk - four young Trainers squeezing in for a shot. They all looked happy, and they deserve it for the one and a half years of struggles that no one of their age should have experienced. That was five years ago. One of them has decided to move on and never look back.

A knock caught her attention. “President?” Wicke’s voice called from the other side of the door. “It’s me, Wicke. May I come in?”

“Go ahead.” Lusamine straightened as the branch chief stepped inside. “How did the investigation go?”

“It’s still ongoing,” Wicke answered as she offered a labeled folder to her boss. “We have the investigation team working tirelessly on the field. According to Professor Burnet, the instruments recorded an abnormally high reading of Ultra Aura within the area. However, it seemed to be different from our records. She is still trying to map it out based on the readings.”

Lusamine flipped the folder open. “How about the police? Did they find anything?”

“No.” Wicke shook her head. “But they were searching for the young man that the Young Master spoke about before the Ultra Wormhole opened. If it is as the police thought, he might know a thing or two about the incident.”

“I see…”

“Ah, and there’s another thing.”

Lusamine looked from the new report. “What is it?”

“It’s about the Young Miss,” Wicke said. “It seemed she has not told anyone else yet but, she told me of a strange occurrence during the battle.”

The Aether President placed the folder down. “Is it about what Gladion was telling me? His report told me of the strange appearance of the Ultra Wormhole, as well as the unusual behavior of the Ultra Beast. I believe there is also something about the Beast Aura, but….”

Wicke shook her head. “Ah, no…well, it’s a bit different. Something that only the Young Miss witnessed.” She clasped her hands as she recounted their conversation. “She said that during the fight, one of her Pokéballs was moving wildly.”

Lusamine frowned. “Moving…wildly?”

“Yes.” The Branch chief nodded. “It was as if that the Pokémon inside was sensing something amiss.”

The President leaned forward. “Which one?”

“That’s the problem,” Wicke said. “The Pokéball that was reacting strangely...the Pokémon within it is none other than the Legendary Beast of the Moone, Lunala.”


Just as news spread fast like wildfire in the regions of Alola, it also sputters out like a burning candlestick during a storm. In the next four days, Memorial Hill has opened again to the public after the investigation yielded only as much information as the authorities could get. The Aether Foundation assigned a few employees to assist the head professor on the case while the young man the police were searching for had yet to be found. They found no existing records of the person, concluding that he was not a local. There is only a handful of surveillance cameras installed during the festival, and only two of them caught the individual on tape. There was nothing unusual about it except the person himself. Both of which have little use to them.

Now, Alola is preparing for the much-awaited League championship. It has been years since the event was last made public for viewing - the past years have been a private affair. Challengers come and go to the League, and how the battles go was known only to the League members and the challengers. The news of an open League championship sent the region of Alola to a buzz, and the roster was filled just on the first day of the registration.

“Fifty-six?” Olivia raised an eyebrow at her fellow Elite Four. “Are you sure you counted right, Molayne?”

“Of course.” Molayne smiled. The spark of enthusiasm in his eyes has not gone unnoticed to the Kahuna of Akala. “It’s twice as many, yeah, but I supposed it’s because some of them are repeating challengers.”

“Hmmm…” Olivia leaned against the railing of the audience side. Below, hired workers were hauling in new materials that would be used to refurbish the battlefield below. The Manalo Stadium had gone unused for five years since its construction six years ago. The stadium was built after Professor Kukui suggested holding an open championship for the second anniversary of the Alola League. It has only witnessed one grand championship, and one alone before the battles were closed again from the public eye. It felt strange and nostalgic at the same time, standing on the floating structure once again.

“What do you think?”

Molayne looked at her with confusion. “About what?”

“All of these.” Olivia gestured at their surroundings. “This place, its history…what do you think? Why do you think we’re doing this? Allowing this to happen in this very same place on the very same date?”

“We’re doing this for the people of Alola.”

“Do we now?” Olivia faced him. Molayne recognized the hardened shell of a true veteran – the same façade they had all been wearing. “Or are we doing this to forget?”

Molayne took off his glasses and wiped the lenses. “She has quite the impact in our lives. Five years has not been enough to erase it all.” His smile has faded into a paper-thin line. “Perhaps, we’re trying to forget. Perhaps, we’re just running away from it all.”

Olivia sighed. “Those kids…I doubt they will ever move on.”

“They stuck together like a school of Wishiwashi.” Molayne nodded. “But even so, they will eventually have to drift apart. She already did. She always is the one to take the initiative.”

“And if she returns?”

“That is something I have no answer for,” Molayne answered. “What happens is in the will of the Tapus. If they will that she returns, then so shall be it.”

Olivia smirked at him. “For someone dedicated to science like you, you sure have a firm grasp of traditional beliefs.”

“I have my reservations.” Molayne smiled. “Otherwise, the Tapus might have already struck me down a long time ago. Besides, Acerola is around to keep in my toes.”

“Ah, yes.” Olivia chuckled pleasantly. “The perks of having a fellow Elite Four that commands Ghost-types.”

Molayne shook his head, but his lips remained quirked in a smile. “So…who’s your bet for this year? Do you think Hau will finally get dethroned?”

“Don’t jinx him!” Olivia laughed. “I doubt Hau will let go of the title that easily.” She opened her palm as her smile turned into a grin. “Not until he gets to face her again. As for who gets to battle our Champion, we got a good roster of candidates this year. I can’t wait to see my Trial Captains on the center stage again!”

Molayne placed his hand on his chin in a thinking pose. “It’s too bad that Gladion will not be participating.”

“Oh, he can be persuaded, alright,” Olivia said. A wicked grin on her lips. “We never said that there’s a specific deadline for application. All we said was that until before the official competition starts.”

“I can’t believe no one questioned us about that!”

“They probably didn’t notice.” Olivia shrugged. “Even if they did, it will be too late. Even Kahili was on board with the idea.” She placed her hands on her hips. “Anyway, there are still a lot of things to be done. I’m going to check the Pokémon Center if Nurse Joy has finished with her preparations. I’ll see you later, yeah?”

Molayne nodded and watched her disappear to the exit door. He turned back in the direction of the battlefield and pulled out his phone. A small green light blinked on the top that indicated a notification. When he unlocked it, a news article popped into view - the headline sprawled out in large, bold letters.

“If she returns, huh?”


“You never know when to give up, don’t you, kid?”

Gladion crossed his arms and glared at the Kahuna of Ula’ula Island. It has been four days since that attack on Memorial Hill, and none of those days had proven to be productive enough. Professor Burnet has yet to come up with satisfying results regarding the strange Ultra Wormhole and the strange behavior of the UB Assembly. There have been no leads regarding that guy in the festival, and if, somehow, he is involved with this mess, they have to get their hands on him without question. The sooner, the better.

He has tried contacting Looker and Anabel regarding the matter, but only the recorded message seemed to greet him every time he tried so. He has yet to receive a response from either one, and it is making him anxious. Because of that, he decided to take matters with his own hands.

“You’re one of the Kahunas,” Gladion said. “Shouldn’t it concern you as well?”

Nanu leaned against the counter of the police station. “No, not really.”

Well, that is great. Gladion scowled. He hoped to get some help from the Kahuna, seeing that he is also a police officer. It seemed he made a big mistake coming here. No wonder he turned down being part of the Elite Four. That really confirms how Team Skull took over Po Town without much resistance years ago.

Nanu tucked his hands inside his pockets. “Listen, kid. The person you’re looking for has no records here in Alola. Either he came in the region under a different name, or you just imagined him.” He eyed him uninterestedly. “If I were you, I’m going to catch some sleep and move on. Do whatever stuff you Aether people do.”

Gladion narrowed his eyes. “I know what I saw.” He said firmly. “If that guy is a threat to Alola, I will catch him.”

“Eh.” Nanu strode away toward the back of the station. “Keep your obsessions to yourself, kiddo.” He waved him off. “And don’t come back.”

Gladion shoved his hands in his pockets and stormed out of the police station. The door shut closed behind him with a loud THUD! From the windowpane of the door, Gladion could see Nanu now tending to his clowder of Alolan Meowth. He cannot believe it! Is that guy really a Kahuna? He is starting to question the Tapus’ judgment.

He sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose. “If she sees me now….” He paused and staggered away from the door like it shocked him. He leaned against the wall, just under the shadow of the navy blue building. The Alolan sun beat down on him despite the much cooler month they are in now. From where he is standing, Mount Lanakila loomed like an impenetrable fortress that reaches the heavens - a fort home to the best Pokémon Trainers of Alola. It was her castle back then before she decided to abandon it all.

Gladion decided he did not like it one bit. It was just a mere conversation (or argument, for that matter). Something he is used to having but never liked anyway. Why should he remember her now? It was just a talk, a request, for Arceus’ sake!

He knows why; he always has known. She is everywhere. The memorabilia, the gossips, the memories…she was not known as Alola’s Sweetheart for nothing. Just like how he and Lillie were labeled as The Aether Prince and Princess. Her presence is palpable – an unexpected storm that swept across Alola and the remains left from its wake still linger on – and for those who have grown close to the young Champion, a part of them she has taken with her, leaving them hollow and lost.

And that…Gladion hated. He hated himself for speaking to her in Route 5 in the first place, rechallenging her like a fool he is, and losing every time. Despite that, he enjoyed and learned from all of it at the same time. He despised having to deal with the gossips about her sudden resignation, having to lie that she has an urgent business to attend in Kanto and has to, unfortunately, hand over the title, and having to worry over her mother’s safety as reporters and journalists flocked her home. He hated the pitying looks that Lillie, Hau, Wicke, and even his mother would give him when the topic, any topic related to her, was accidentally broached. He hated enjoying every moment spent with her yet craving for more.

Most of all…he hated himself for falling helplessly in love with the person whom he had considered as a worthy rival and a close confidant.

It was as if the Tapus had decided to punish him for sticking with Team Skull – a lifetime verdict he can never escape. It was infuriating, saying the least, and more so that it would remain bottled up because she was gone and would never be coming back again.

He shielded his eyes, glaring at the sun that suddenly decided to get even brighter just to mock him — his shadow a tad bigger and taller than he saw a while ago.

“If you really want to catch me,” A voice spoke above him. “You should first get your head out the clouds, Mr. Future Aether President.”

Notes:

Instead of taking in the same number of participants in the anime, I decided to cut it down significantly. I wanted to incorporate passing the Captain Trials and Grand Trials as the essential requirements in challenging the League. Of course, not every trial goer emerges victorious from those trials, and almost all that have finished have to challenge the League repeatedly because they received quite a beating. This adds a degree of difficulty in getting into the League and showcases the importance of the Alolan traditions.

Also, Trial Captains are allowed to participate in the League championship but not the Kahunas. I wanted to observe the lifetime vow the Kahunas have once the Tapus chose them. However, they can become part of the Elite Four should the current Champion requests them and their island deity allows it.

Chapter 5: To Catch Those Red Eyes (Part 2)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Gladion has never turned around faster anytime in his known lifetime.

If he was currently in one of Hau’s stupid mini competitions, he might have won in terms of fight reflex. He has to squint a bit against the sun’s glare, but he recognized the same fiery eyes that met his own four days ago. The guy was standing atop the police station, looking down on him with eerie interest. He did not seem to mind the heat if the blue and white bomber jacket was any indication. The bill of his black and red baseball cap obscured most of the right part of his face. Strands of blond hair peeked from the rim of his hat.

“You…!” Gladion growled. “You got guts to hang around a police station, especially when you’re currently on the wanted list.”

“Seems I have to thank you for that.” The red-eyed teenager regarded him. “So, what are you going to do? Call the guy inside and have me arrested?” He tipped his cap with one hand. “I’d like to see you try. I doubt the Kahuna would even bat an eye.”

Gladion glared at him as he reached for his belt. “No need.” He took out Silvally’s Pokéball and held it out before him. “I’ll deal with you myself.”

“Cute.” He jutted his chin. “But I have my orders. What happened in Poni Island and Memorial Hill is just the beginning.”

Gladion’s grip tightened around the Pokéball. “So, you do know something about that incident...”

“Incident?” Humorless laughter bubbled up his throat. “That was no incident. You should know better than that, Mr. Future Aether President.”

Gladion narrowed his eyes. “What do you mean?”

“I wonder…” He tucked his hands inside the pockets of his bomber jacket and leaned forward. “How about we make a deal?” A small smile formed on his lips. “If you withdraw your search request for me in the police, I’ll be willing to face you in this year’s Alola League Championship.”

“What?” Gladion asked incredulously. “What makes you think I’ll agree to that?”

“Simple, really. If you win, I’ll tell you everything that I know.”

“Who are you, really?”

“My name is Sun.” He held out a palm. “I’m just a messenger carrying out my boss’ orders, though I believe that is none of your concern.”

It IS one of his concerns. Gladion thought, but part of him knew that the guy would not answer even if he asked. Silvally’s Pokéball wiggled in his hand. The artificial Pokémon is raring to go as he commands. He decided to do the next best thing. “What if I lose?”

“You will have to turn over the Legendary Beast of the Moone to me.” The guy spoke so casually as if giving up a Pokémon who has the potential to destroy was not a big deal - as if Gladion was going to trade his Umbreon for a Pyukumuku.

“No!” It irritated Gladion, not because he was asked to gamble a Legendary Pokémon, but because Lunala has been an invaluable friend to many of them, especially Lillie...and her. “If you think I’ll let someone like you get their hands on Lunala, think again!”

The change in the guy’s expression was brief. What was it? Surprise? Admiration? Relief? It was so fast that Gladion thought it might be just a trick of the light. It melted back to apathy in a matter of milliseconds. “Your choice, then. I’ve given you enough warning as it is. Should Alola fall, it will be on your hands.” He turned his back to him. “I’ll be waiting, Mr. Future Aether President.”

With that, the shadow of a large bird Pokémon fell upon him, and he disappeared in a whirlwind of dust and black feathers. Gladion stood there alone under the clouded sunlight with Silvally’s Pokéball weighing heavily on his hand.


“Go, Tutu!” Hau hollered among the gathered crowd around the wooden stage in the middle of Iki Town. At the left edge of the stage were trial goers from the four islands hoping to get their stamps for the Island Challenge finally. Many of whom have one remaining Grand Trial to complete before being eligible to take on the League.

The past days have been crazy. Groups of trial goers come by the Kahunas’ doorstep every day as the day of the eighth League championship approaches. Hau counted at least fourteen who came to take on Hala, and only a handful emerged victoriously. He expected less, but with the much-awaited event being open to the public for the second time, it seemed to have motivated every Trainer waiting their chance to get their hands on the Champion title. Of course, Hau intended to retain it as long as he could.

A loud cheer erupted from the crowd as Hala’s Hariyama took down the last of the three chosen Pokémon of the challenger he was currently facing. The Trainer called back his Pokémon and shook hands with the Kahuna, promising to return once his team got stronger. A new trial goer stepped on the stage, and Hala called in Crabominable to lead the next battle.

“Kahuna Hala is so strong, isn’t he?” Lillie said, nodding at the Kahuna. Hau invited her to watch the Grand Trial after he checked on with the Elite Four regarding the preparations for the League. It just so happened that Lillie had just finished with her tasks back in Aether Paradise.

“Of course!” Hau grinned as he placed his hands on the back of his head. “Otherwise, Tapu Koko wouldn’t have chosen him as the Island Kahuna.”

“That is true.”

“So, how’s Hapu’s Trial?” Hau asked. “Did you pass?”

Lillie smiled cheerfully. “Yes. It was tough, but Shiron and I managed to get through it.”

“Kyuu!” Shiron wiggled in her arms and swiped her paw at the magenta Z-Power Ring around her Trainer’s wrist, where the Groundium Z was nestled comfortably on the top.

Hau’s eyes glittered in pure excitement. “Just one more Grand Trial, and you can enter the League.” He engulfed his girlfriend in a big hug. “I can’t wait!”

“H-Hau!” Lillie blushed furiously. “W-We’re watching a Grand Trial!”

“I don’t care!” Hau laughed as he nuzzled against her hair. “I’m just so proud of my girlfriend!”

“Geez…” Lillie buried her face on his chest, enjoying the warmth of the second Alolan Champion. Shiron yipped happily in her arms as another cheer erupted from the crowd. The couple promptly pulled away from each other and watched as Hala’s Machamp dealt a powerful blow against the trial goer’s last Pokémon - an Alolan Persian. The dark-type Pokémon managed to get back up, but it will not last long with the way it was staggering.

“No…I can’t!” The trial goer curled his fists. “I made it this far. I’m not going to leave without completing this Grand Trial! Dammit!” He furiously rummaged from his bag and pulled out what seemed to be a black Z- Crystal. He placed it on his Z-Power Ring and grinned. “Let’s see what this Z-Crystal can do.” 

“Alright, Persian. Time to power up!” He raised his arm to the air, and the Z-Crystal glowed in purple light. The light was absorbed into the Z-Crystal before it was released and infused with Alolan Persian. Purple aura swirled around the Pokémon, and the trial goer grinned. “Let’s see if you can take us out now, Kahuna! Let’s go, Persian! Use Night Slash!”

“MROWR!” The Alolan Persian ran and pounced at its opponent. Its glowing claws slashed down at Machamp, and the Superpower Pokémon staggered back, clutching at his shoulder. Hala shouted for his Pokémon to dodge, but Alolan Persian was already unto its opponent. The dark-type Pokémon slammed against Machamp, and the impact threw the Fighting-type off the stage.

The crowd roared in approval. The trial goer pumped his fist into the air as he cherished his victory. He ran down the stage to meet with his Pokémon but was stopped short. Machamp has fainted with his back on the dusty ground - the claw marks glowing a violent hue of purple against its grey skin. Looming over it, with its claws raised in for the kill, was Alolan Persian.

“Stop! What are you doing?” The trial goer rushed in to stop his Pokémon. “The battle’s over! We won.”

The Alolan Persian turned in the direction of its Trainer and snarled. The purple aura surrounding it grew more prominent by the second, and the Pokémon ran toward the trial goer with its claws out. Cheers turned to screams, and the exhilaration turned into fear and adrenaline. The crowd broke apart as people, both young and old, scrambled away from the stage in terror.

The trial goer staggered away from his Pokémon. His eyes were wide in panic, disbelief, and horror as he cradled his bleeding arm. The Alolan Persian stalked forward as it readied for another attack. It launched itself with eyes narrowed down on the human. Just in time, a pair of strong hands grabbed the Trainer out of harm’s way as a blur of green and beige slammed against the berserk Pokémon. The Alolan Persian hit a tree and fell sprawled on the ground. It recovered slowly, snarling and hissing with its fur bristling. Across it, Hala managed to drag the trial goer farther from the berserk Pokémon. Hau ran to his grandfather’s side, Lillie following right at his heels. Hau surveyed the battlefield as Lillie knelt to the trial goer’s side and inspected his wounds. Her trusty first-aid kit is right by her side.

“Tutu! What’s happening?”

Hala shook his head as he turned in the direction of the Alolan Persian. “I do not know.” Beside him, the trial goer winced in pain as Lillie gently dabbed an alcohol-filled cotton ball on his wounded arm. Unlike Machamp, his wounds did not glow an eerie purple. Lillie mumbled a quiet apology and resumed treating his injuries. “But we must stop it before it hurts others.”

Alolan Persian snarled and pounced at Hau’s Decidueye, but the Arrow Quill Pokémon was a more experienced fighter than it is. He heeded his Trainer’s command and launched upward. His wings glowed in vibrant green as he rushed to his opponent and slashed at its stomach. The force was so powerful that it sent the Alolan Persian barreling to the wooden wall of a nearby house. It tried to stand up again, but Hau beat it to it.

“Decidueye! Use Smack Down!”

An orb of golden light appeared in front of Decidueye before launching it. It hit its target, and fragments of rocks followed and pummeled the Classy Cat Pokémon. Alolan Persian mewled in pain as it was pounded to the ground and finally went down to the count. It dropped to the ground, battered and unconscious.

Lillie broke the tense silence that followed. “Is it…over?” She whispered.

Hau finally let out a sigh of relief. “Yeah…I guess so.” Decidueye flew to his eyes and let out a croon. Hau reached out and petted its head. “Thanks, buddy.”

Hala helped the trial goer to his feet. “I’m going to bring him to the hospital. As for you two-” He looked at the Champion and the professor’s assistant and handed Machamp’s Pokéball. Hau recognized the expression on his grandfather’s face – one that belongs to a Kahuna.

Hau nodded in firm understanding. “We know. Leave it us.”

Notes:

I went for Hau picking Rowlet as his starter instead of Litten. It made more sense for Kukui to have an Incineroar than a Decidueye. Of course, Primarina went to Moon because why not? The relationship between the moon and water (if you prefer, the tides) and the fact I chose Popplio as my starter just screams to me to do it.

Chapter 6: To Shake Hands With Danger (Part 1)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The same rhythm filled the infirmary of the Aether Paradise – a beeping sound that seemed to bounce off the wall of white and gold. Five figures surround a lone bed occupied by a four-armed Pokémon. Wires and monitors beeped above its head as the professor-in-charge spoke quietly to a pink-clad nurse at the far end of the room. The door slammed open, and the twenty-year-old heir to the Aether Foundation burst into the room.

“I got Faba’s call!” Gladion announced. He was tired and sweaty from his rush to return to the artificial island, but he strode into the room with purpose and focus. “What happened?”

Lusamine regarded her son with an unreadable expression. “A lot happened.” She motioned for him to approach, stepping aside to give him a better view. “Another Pokémon went berserk during Melemele’s Grand Trial. We already had the Pokémon in one of the isolation chambers, but….”

Gladion stepped forward and followed his mother’s gaze. Lying on the bed was Hala’s Machamp. Three deep slash wounds ran diagonally from his left shoulder to his right hip. The cuts were unusual themselves, all three glowing in a deep purple. Machamp has his eyes closed, but the pain in his face is more than evident. “What in the -?”

“We’re still investigating the incident,” Lusamine said. “But according to Hau and Lillie, a trial goer used some kind of black Z-Crystal before his Pokémon ran amok. It severely injured the Kahuna’s Machamp and attacked its Trainer. Hau and Decidueye managed to knock it out before calling the Foundation.” Lusamine crossed her arms and sighed wearily. “We tried recalling it back to its Pokéball, but for some strange reason, it wouldn’t work. We have to transport it here using one of the helicopters.”

“Where’s the Kahuna?”

“Tutu brought the trial goer to the hospital and entrusted us Machamp.” Hau nodded to the ailing Pokémon. A grim look on his face. “Once the Trainer got an all-clear, the authorities will be detaining him throughout the investigation.”

Gladion turned to his mother. “You said something about a black Z-Crystal? Where is it?”

“It was missing.” Lusamine shook her head. “When the police came in for an initial search in the hospital, the Z-Crystal was not with the trial goer. We also had Iki Town checked but came out empty-handed. They’re still searching for it as of the moment.”

Lillie cast a worried look. “Do you think…it is connected to the one in Poni Island?”

“We cannot disregard the possibility.” Elio has just finished speaking with Nurse Joy. He approached them as Nurse Joy walked to the edge of the bed with bandages at hand and began carefully wrapping around Machamp’s wounds. “If that will be the case, we can expect that more will come.”

The professor passed Lusamine a clipboard. “The wounds are not something we have seen before. Nurse Joy already ran some tests ahead of time, and results were negative of any infection or poison. Unless we uncover what it is, making a cure would be difficult.”

“How about the Alolan Persian that went berserk?” Hau exclaimed. “There’s something we could do, right? Pokémon do not attack without reason!”

Gladion could understand Hau’s concern. He was right, after all. Pokémon do not attack unprovoked. However, this might not be the case right now. There was an issue with the missing black Z-Crystal that the trial goer used.  What is it really? Where did it come from? If it is the cause for Pokémon to lose control, it might as well be the key to reversing the effect.

Professor Elio placed a hand on the Champion’s shoulder and smiled kindly. “Do not fret. We will find a way to help these Pokémon, and we will do it with all we have.” He squeezed his shoulder firmly. “You should do the same. This region is counting on its Champion. It needs you more than ever.”

Hau straightened and nodded. Determination lighting up in his eyes. “I will. I promise.”

“We’re really grateful for your help, Professor Elio.” Lillie said.

Elio scratched the back of his head. A sheepish smile on his face. “I’m just doing my job, that’s all. Otherwise, Moon will call me out, and I will never hear the end of it.”

He was answered with a suffocating silence. Hau opened his mouth as if to ask something but closed it. Lillie looked down and fidgeted from where she was standing. Gladion was looking away, his bangs covering half his face. 

Ah… Elio dropped his arm to his side. It seemed he said something he should not have.

“I believe it’s time for us to leave.” It was Lusamine who broke down the silence. She placed her hands on the shoulders of each of the two young men, who flinched in surprise. “We shouldn’t keep the professor too long, and Machamp needs his rest as well. Come along.”

She nudged the Gladion and Hau and steered them to the door, both letting themselves out without much resistance. Lillie reluctantly looked back and forth between the professor and her mother before bowing down and excusing herself. Elio bade them goodbye, his smile fading as the door closed behind them.

He hoped his daughter what she is doing.


“You’re not okay.”

Hau had stated matter-of-factly. The current Champion was lounging on the sofa in the older Aether sibling’s office. Lillie came in with a tray of drinks and passed two of them to her older brother and her boyfriend. Hau accepted his gratefully and scooted over to give Lillie more space to sit beside him. He turned to Gladion, who was sitting behind his desk with an irritated look on his face.

“Don’t be stupid,” Gladion replied. The tip of his pen scritching as he writes. He did not spare Hau a look lest the dark green-haired Champion decides to point out whatever contradictions he could see on his face. “It’s been five years, and Professor Elio is her father. It only makes sense for him to mention his daughter once in a while.”

Hau threw his arms up in frustration. “That’s the point, Glads! It’s been five years, and none of us have gotten over it. I can’t get over it. Lillie can’t get over it. You can’t get over it! A little mention of her, and we get all stiff and sad.”

“You’re overreacting,” Gladion remarked through the scratching of his pen has gotten louder and faster, as if he was in a hurry. “And why do you make it sound like we got a thing for her?”

Hau sunk further down the sofa, cradling the condensing glass with his hands. “I admit I did have a little crush on Moon back then.” That earned him a surprised look from Lillie that seems to say, Really? “I mean, can you blame me? She’s both cute and cool, and she’s a natural! She beat Rowlet and me in her first Pokémon battle, and I’ve been training since I was a kid. Moon is the most powerful Trainer in Alola who defeated the First World League Champion, and I haven’t even managed to defeat her once.”

He jabbed a finger to Gladion. “Neither did you.” He crossed his arms and pouted. “And in my defense, I’m not the only one who had a crush on her. Kiawe did too, and you too, Glads, but you got the shortest end of the deal.”

The pen paused abruptly. Gladion scowled at his handwriting and furiously crumpled the paper into a ball. He tossed it, but it bounced off the rim of the trash bin. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Hau sipped his drink with a teasing smile. “Classic Gladion.”

Lillie sighed and stood up to pick up the crumpled paper. She deposited it inside the trash bin and turned to Hau. “Hau, don’t tease him.”

The said Trainer whined but relented, sinking impossibly further down the sofa as he drank his drink in big gulps. Lillie walked to her brother’s side and gently patted his shoulder. Gladion ran his hands on his face with a sound of annoyance but did not push Lillie away. “A Pokémon dollar for your thoughts?”

“How about yours?” Gladion deflected.

Lillie shook her head. “I think we already know what’s in mine and Hau’s.”

Gladion leaned his back against his chair. “I’m not mad at Professor Elio.” He told her. “It can’t be helped, but now’s not the time to think about the past. I’m more concerned about what’s happening in Alola.”

“Professor Elio said that they will do their best,” Lillie assured him. “I think we can trust his word.”

“That’s not what I’m worried about.” He clarified. “What was happening…the Pokémon going berserk and UB Assembly attacking…I don’t think they’re just mere coincidences. I have a bad feeling about all of it.”

Lillie blinked at him in confusion. “What do you mean, Big Brother?”

“Do you remember the guy I saw during Akala’s festival?”

“You mean the one that the police are looking for?”

“That’s the one.” Gladion nodded grimly. “I saw him again near Po Town earlier today.”

“What?” Hau sprang up from the sofa, nearly spilling the rest of his drink. “If he’s near Po Town, shouldn’t Kahuna Nanu have him arrested already?”

Gladion massaged his temples. “It’s complicated.” As complicated as leaving an important task to a lazy Kahuna. “Long story short, he was following orders from his boss, and he seemed to know things. He offered me a deal. If I told the police to lay off him, he would be willing to face me in the League championship. If I win, he’s going to spill everything he knows.”

“And if you lose?”

Gladion locked his eyes on his sister’s. Chilling dread creeping up her spine. “I will have to give Lunala to him.”

Lillie stepped back in shock. Her eyes were wide in horror. “N-No! You can’t…you can’t just give Nebby up like that!” Tears began to form at the corners of her eyes. “Nebby is…Nebby is the only reminder I have of Moon. They trained and fought many battles together. I…I can’t….”

Hau walked toward her and pulled her into a tight hug. He rubbed her back and murmured reassurances to her ear. He turned to the former Team Skull enforcer, who was staring absentmindedly at the pen on his hands. Guilt was evident on his face. “You don’t want to do this, right?”

“No,” Gladion admitted quietly. “I don’t.”

I do not want to lose anything that was left of her. He seemed to say, and Hau understood. He, too, has something that Moon left behind – her own Z-Power Ring. She left it on the Champion’s throne with her letter of resignation and addressed that it should be turned over to his hands. Her collection of Z-Crystals was left at home - the case and the Z-Crystals were cleaned and polished by her mother. Hau made sure to do the same with Moon’s Z-Power Ring and often carried it around with him inside the same cloak his grandfather wears.

He looked between the Aether siblings. What should he do? What would Moon do? He has always admired the girl’s tenacity and decisiveness in these situations. She never panics, always keeps her focus and calm when everyone else cannot. She is the epitome of what a Champion should be – deserving to be the first and the role model of the Alolan Champions that will come after her. Should they refuse the offer or risk it? They could learn a lot should Gladion win, but if he loses…no! Gladion will win no matter what!

He squeezed Lillie’s shoulders and offered a gentle smile. A smile that Lillie understood well - Hau is the current Champion, and he must put Alola first before himself. His word carries power and authority, and she and his brother share the same duty to listen to him. She knows what he will say and that he knows it will hurt her, but he cannot be selfish. Hau let her go, and Lillie reached for the familiar Pokéball inside her pocket. It wriggled slightly under her touch.

“Do it.”

Gladion snapped in his direction. “What? Are you nuts?” He stood up and faced against the Champion. Anger slowly simmered on the surface. “Are you telling me to gamble a Legendary Pokémon for unverified information?”

“Yes,” Hau affirmed as he stood his ground. “If that ‘bad feeling’ of yours is on point, we will need that information. Whatever that is. That is, assuming that guy is not a fraud.”

“And if he is?”

“He loses either way,” Hau answered. “If we don’t accept the deal, he gains nothing, and the police will continue to hound him. If we accept and he loses, we get the information, and Nebby remains safe.” He narrowed his eyes at him. “Unless you are not up to the challenge, Gladion?”

It was not a suggestion; it was a challenge. That Gladion knows well. The person standing before him is not just Hau, the grandson of the Kahuna of Melemele Island, but the current Champion, the most powerful Trainer in all of Alola. The Hau he knows is laid-back and carefree, but this Hau…this is Hau, the second Alolan Champion. He is a serious figure of power and authority whose word can sway the masses with just a snap of his fingers.

Refuse or win. Those are the only options he has. Losing is never an option.

Gladion looked at his younger sister. Lillie looked torn, but her eyes were lit with a small flame of determination. He hated to admit it, but Hau is right. It is an opportunity…an opportunity they should not miss. With a heavy heart, he reached out for his phone and dialed a number. The call rang twice before it connected — the other line filling with the familiar drawl of the Kahuna of Ula’ula Island.

“Alola. This is Gladion. About that search request….”

Notes:

There are no official character birthdays, so I just did some headcanon estimation on my own. Gladion is the oldest among the four, with a two-year gap from the rest of the squad. He just recently celebrated his twentieth birthday by this time in the story. Next is Hau, who is eighteen and then, Moon, who is most likely approaching eighteen in the timeline (in which the first open League championship was held to honor the First Alolan Champion). Lillie would be the youngest among the four at seventeen years old and would not celebrate until a few months later.

Chapter 7: To Shake Hands With Danger (Part 2)

Chapter Text

The past three weeks have been one of the busiest that Professor Burnet has ever been. She could barely remember what it was like to be drowning in different types of research materials and cups of coffee. Her office in the Dimensional Research Lab has turned into a fire hazard - a rare phenomenon last witnessed in the height of the invasion of the Ultra Beasts six years ago. Her receiver beeped, and she struggled to find it among a pile of data maps and scribbled notes. A voice crackled at the other end after the professor pressed a button.

“Professor Burnet? The Kahuna of Poni Island has come to see you.”

Hapu? She was dimly aware that the Kahuna had called her in the morning for a brief meeting. She glanced at the wall clock above the row of bookshelves and let out a surprised gasp. Has it been that late? She abruptly stood up and scrambled for the receiver, knocking over an empty mug at the process. “Tell her to come in.”

A minute ticked by, and the door opened. The Kahuna of Poni Island invited herself in, taking note of the mess inside the office. The professor herself was stacking in some journals, mumbling something about the time. The Ground-type Trainer coughed politely, letting her presence known.

“Oh! Hapu! I didn’t see you there.” Burnet put away the journals in her arms and stepped away from her desk. She smiled sheepishly. “I’m sorry I forgot about our meeting today. I’ve been busy as of the late.”

Hapu nodded. “Don’t worry, Professor Burnet. I understand.” She crossed the room, carefully maneuvering past some kind of equipment. “Things have been hectic on our end as well.”

“Ah, yes. The League Championship.” Burnet said. When her husband told her about the League’s plan on making the eighth Championship public, she was genuinely surprised. It was not like the first open competition was a mess; no, it was actually a success. So much so that the people of Alola were looking forward to the next one. That is…until the Champion of that time left her position.

She gingerly touched her wedding ring. She remembered the day when Acerola came running to Aether Paradise. At that time, she was helping Wicke and Faba with the weekly health examination of the Corsola in the conservatory. Acerola had asked them if they had seen Moon or even spoken with her that day. She was clutching what seemed to be a crumpled envelope in her hands. They told her that they had yet to see the cheery Champion that day. Just then, Gladion and Lillie arrived in the conservatory, having heard from an Aether employee that the Elite Four member had come to the floating island. When Lillie asked what happened, Acerola broke down in tears. Her words strumbled over one another as she sobbed and thrust the envelope into Lillie’s hands.

She could still remember it vividly - the apprehension in the younger Aether sibling’s expression morphing into despair as she read the paper enclosed in the envelope, the shock and disbelief in Gladion’s face before anger and hurt flashed in his chartreuse green eyes, and the stunned silence she, Wicke, and Faba could only offer as Gladion stormed out of the conservatory.

Her heart broke into million pieces when the news finally reached Kukui. The young girl was like a daughter to both of them. An optimistic, young Trainer that braved many challenges that they could never overcome without that kind heart of hers. A heart that touched and changed so many. They searched, looked into her travel record, and even asked her mother, who shockingly does not know her own daughter’s sudden departure from the region. They learned that she took a flight to Hoenn and, upon landing, chartered a private flight from unknown contact. After that, she disappeared as if she did not exist at all. As if she did not want to exist at all. The only assurance they have that she is still alive was a short phone call to her mother…and that was four years ago. Moon did not call after that.

“Professor?”

Burnet was startled back to where she was and who she was with. She must have zoned out for a few minutes that she did not notice Hapu was already standing in front of her. The Kahuna did not call her out about it because she knew why. Her eyes conveyed understanding and showed the need to approach a different subject at the time.

Burnet cleared her throat. “Sorry.” She returned behind her desk and busied herself in folding the data maps scattered on her desk. “So, what brought you here, Hapu? You didn’t tell me over the phone.”

Hapu decided to take a seat on one of the chairs in front of the professor’s desk. “It’s about that Pokémon. The one we managed to capture on the island. Is there any news about it?”

Burnet looked up from her work with a frown. “No, I’m afraid not. But the Aether Foundation is currently looking into it together with the same case in Melemele.” She tapped her chin. “From what I heard from Nanu, it does not have any Trainer. A wild Pokémon, per se.”

“Indeed,” Hapu confirmed. “But even so, it attacked Seafolk Village, and from what I gathered, it did so without any provocations. Pokémon, wild or not, do not attack without something or someone pushing it to.”

There was a beat of silence. Hapu eyed the professor critically. “I heard that it attacked an Aether employee.”

Burnet paused. She was not anywhere near the artificial island when it happened. Wicke just happened to tell her about it. “Yes, because of that, they have to transfer it to an isolation chamber.” She placed the finished pile at the side. “I haven’t had the chance to take a look, but Lusamine has asked Professor Elio for help. These cases might have something to do with what happened in the Orre region years ago. I heard that he and a certain professor in that region were close colleagues. If anything else, he might know a thing or two about the situation.”

“I see…” Hapu nodded, but there was a trace of dissatisfaction in her expression. She stood up from her seat. “Thank you for your time, Professor Burnet, despite all of these-” She gestured to the scattered research materials in the office.

Burnet waved it off with a soft chuckle. “I don’t mind. A bit of a distraction wouldn’t hurt my work.” She rounded her desk and escorted the Kahuna to the door. “If there’s anything else you need, don’t hesitate to call me.”

“I will.” Hapu nodded. She stepped out of the room but was stopped in her tracks as a researcher ran in their direction. He skidded to a stop, panting heavily as he tried to compose himself.

“Professor Burnet!” The researcher exclaimed. His eyes were wild and frantic. “We got a problem!”

The smile on the professor’s face faded instantly. “What is it?”

“T-The…The Aether President just called in! Ula’ula Island is under attack!”


“They never rest, do they?”  

A lone figure leaned against what seemed to be a stone monument, watching the sky ripple and crackle with purple lightning above Route 14. The wind was picking up, sweeping dust and stirring the waters in its wake. Swimmers swam back to the safety of the blackened shores as onlookers gawked at the changing sky. Seconds ticked by, and the sky began to rip apart. The rift widened and slowly rotated into what seemed to be a hole in the sky — an Ultra Wormhole. Purple lightning hissed, and the Ultra Wormhole flashed. Three figures fell from the rift and disappeared into the waters with an explosive splash.

Slowly, three glowing heads emerged from the surf. Their bundled wire bodies crackled with electricity as they towered over the onlookers. They writhed - bodies flaring up in purple aura - and screeched from their nonexistent mouths. The people on the shores scrambled away in panic as the Ultra Beasts lashed their arms, dragging those unfortunate enough toward them. One latched on a small child and dragged her back to the surf. A blur of yellow slashed at its arm and carried the child to safety. The Ultra Beast lurched back in pain and stumbled against its brethren.

The lone figure looked up from his watch. “Five minutes.” He declared as his partner landed down to his side. “Should we wait for them or…?” An annoyed growl answered him. He shook his head and drew back the sleeve of his bomber jacket. “Fine then. Let’s make their job easier for them.”

Sun tipped his cap and glared at the Ultra Beasts, who had already recovered and were moving in their direction. “Zeraora, use Close Combat.”

The Thunderclap Pokémon disappeared from where it was perched and appeared before the Ultra Beast. It launched a rapid-fire assault of punches and kicks, knocking down its opponent back to the water. It kicked off the spiky head of the Ultra Beast and jumped to the second. It dodged one of its sparking arms and slammed its fisted claw on its head, sending it tumbling against the first. The third Ultra Beast used Thunderbolt, but the Mythical Pokémon absorbed the attack. Zeraora landed softly on the shore, its fur sparking with renewed strength.

“Let’s finish this. Plasma Fists!”

“GRAWWWR!”

Zeraora placed its claws together and began charging up. Light blue electricity sparked on its claws, and the yellow Pokémon slammed it down on the sand. Lightning exploded into a stream as it rushed toward the three Ultra Beasts. It surrounded them, and they writhed in agony despite the same typing. The sea beneath them amplified the power of the move. The water exploded around them in a tall burst of water and steam, and the Ultra Beasts fell to a heap of writhing bodies.

Zeraora and its human partner watched as the Ultra Wormhole pulsed and reclaimed the Ultra Beasts it expelled before imploding. The Alolan sky slowly cleared as the sun peered from the dissipating dark clouds and purple lightning. Zeraora leapt next to its partner as the human narrowed his eyes to the waves.

“It seems that their plan is still incomplete…those Ultra Beasts….” Sun shook his head and surveyed the immediate area. An annoyed huff escaped his lips. “What a shame.” He said. “Tomorrow’s the League, yet they are not yet prepared. I guess five minutes is too much of an expectation for them.”

“Mrawr….”

Sun tipped his cap. “It can’t be helped, then. It seems we’ll be doing some babysitting duties for now.” He turned on his heel, ignoring the sound of an incoming helicopter. “I hope they will give us enough challenge for this year’s League. Otherwise, I will be disappointed. No...she will really be disappointed.”

Chapter 8: To The Eve of the Eighth

Chapter Text

Hau was tingling with energy. The last time he felt like this was exactly five years ago during the second Alolan League Championship. He could still vividly remember the evening of the conference: the torches lighting up the central battlefield of the stadium, the numerous long tables filled with different Alolan cuisines from all four islands, and the League participants gathered together in a night of celebration. The Elite Four stood on the stage, and on the middle was none other than the Champion.

Now, standing on the same stage overlooking the celebration, the memories came rushing back to him like a dream. The Elite Four was standing evenly behind him – all proud and powerful. At his left, Molayne smiled at Sophocles, who was waving from the crowd, while Olivia nodded pleasantly at her Trial Captains waiting by their table. Opposite the two, Acerola rocked on her heels with an excited grin on her face while Kahili kept a stern look as she surveyed each Trainer before them.

Hau could see Lillie and Gladion with Silvally, which is already munching happily on one of its favorite foods on the table. Plumeria and Guzma were also there, catching up with the future Aether President. Ilima was chatting with the former Fairy-type Trial Captain and the Kahuna of Poni Island. Professor Kukui stood by the side of the stage and talked to Hala and Nanu, who will preside over the week-long championship battles with Hapu and Olivia.

A stage member approached Olivia and handed her a microphone. The crowd turned their attention to the Rock-type Elite Four member as she walked forward on the stage. “Alola ahiahi, future Champions! It’s the eve of the eighth Alolan League Championship, and we pay tribute to the region’s bounty and the strength of its warriors. Eat up, have fun, and tomorrow we shall take the stage and show the world the power of Alola!”

The crowd cheered wildly. Olivia nodded to the Champion and the rest of the Elite Four, and they dispersed to the masses. Hau jumped on the chance to join Gladion, Lillie, Plumeria, and Guzma at their table. He grabbed a plate of assorted malasadas with one hand while bringing out his Pokéballs with another to call out his Pokémon and let them have some fun.

“Lillie!” Hau waved as he approached them, almost bumping against an Espeon that brushed past him. He gave his girlfriend a one-arm hug. “Congrats for making it in the League. I’m so proud of you!”

Lillie smiled giddily. “Thank you, Hau! We will do our best, isn’t that right, Shiron?”

“Kyuu!”

Gladion regarded Hau with an appraising look. “Seems the conference started right.”

“Yeah!” He happily stuffed his mouth with a malasada. “‘Ish too good to be true!”

A smile quirked at the edge of Plumeria’s lips. “It seems our Champion is in high spirits tonight. I wonder if that’s a bad omen for us challengers.”

“Heh. If it is, Big Bad Guzma doesn’t mind a challenge.”

Hau swallowed his food and turned to the former Team Skull leader. “I’m surprised you’re here, Mister Guzma. It’s been a while since you stepped on the League.”

Guzma scratched the back of his head bashfully. “A lil’ proddin’ here and there is what I need. Plums here helped a lot.”

Plumeria shook her head. A mischievous smile on her lips. “You mean, how I got the grunts to help me get through that thick skull of yours?” She turned to the two younger men as she jabbed a thumb at Guzma. “My little bros and sis won’t stop getting in his hair until he agrees to join the League. You should have seen his face when they flocked over him like Pikipek in a feeding spree when I told them about the open League.”

“They’re a bunch of rowdy kids.” Guzma huffed as he tucked his hands inside his pockets. “They’re in fer a good ol’ scoldin’ if they make a mess during the League.”

“They might,” Hau said. “But I think they’re going to cheer for you, Mister Guzma.”

Guzma grinned at him. “Don’t go cryin’ now, kid. Big Bad Guzma is goin’ all out to steal that title off yer hands.”

Hau returned his grin with his own. “I can’t wait!”

The evening went smoothly, and soon the food was diminished to dirty plates and crumbs, and the participants immersed themselves into mingling with each other. Many crowded around the Champion and the Elite Four, hoping to get bits of wisdom to get through the League, while some fawned over their persons of interest. Gladion has lost count on how many women would appear before him, asking what his favorites are, what he likes in a woman, and the likes. Ilima, despite being months away from getting married, still has some women swarming over him like moths to a flame. Hau has some admirers vying for his time, but he politely turned down their dinner invitations and stuck close next to Lillie the whole time. Many men tried to approach the Ghost-type Elite Four member, but they wisely kept their distance with Nanu hovering close by.

As the evening came to a close, Kukui took the stage as the founder of the Alolan Pokémon League. “The night is ending, and when dawn breaks tomorrow, all of Alola will wake to witness the eighth opening of the grandest battle of all. Now then, everyone, let’s all welcome our special guest, the Masked Royal, to explain the rules of the preliminary round!”

The crowd cheered as the torches went out, and the screen flashed to the arena of the Battle Royal Dome. Upbeat music boomed from the speakers, and the Masked Royal appeared onscreen. “Sorry for making you wait, everyone! It’s been a long time, but we’re making a comeback.” He jumped off one of the posts of the ring. “The League’s preliminary round will be a free-for-all between every single contestant. From the fifty-eight contestants, only the last sixteen standing will advance to the final tournament. A Battle Royal!” He pointed to the screen. “Everyone! Show us a battle that burns as hot as a Fire Blast! Woooo!”

The music died down, and the screen flashed back to the logo of the tournament. The Champion and the Elite Four joined the professor on the stage. Kukui nodded to Kahili and handed the microphone. The Flying-type Elite Four stepped forward. “Now then, for other reminders before we end tonight’s festivities….”


Professor Elio is used to hearing people knocking at his door during the odd hours of the night. Most of them were his associates in Kanto or, sometimes, some young Trainer that has come to seek advice on something. His acquaintances from other regions usually call or send him an e-mail regarding the projects he was collaborating with. When a knock came in the middle of the night, he was not at least a bit surprised. Work follows him everywhere, no matter what region he is in.

Climbing off their bed and throwing on his bedroom robe, he slipped out of the room and quietly closed the bedroom door behind him, careful not to wake up his wife and her Kantonian Meowth. He drowsily trudged past the dining table; the moonlight imprinted on the floor like glowing rectangles. Alolan nights are calm and quiet like the trickling water of a tranquil river – a contrast to the bustling and sleepless nights in Saffron City. His wife and daughter used to stay in their two-floor house in Pallet Town while he usually spends the nights in a cramped apartment in the city where he once worked as a part-time researcher in Silph Company for more than a decade. It was Selene’s idea to move out - to find a better place for their daughter to grow and officially start her journey as a Trainer should she choose to. The last time he saw their house was when he followed his family to Alola and entrusted the place to a family friend who lives by herself in town.

He wondered who would be waiting out on the porch. Professor Oak told him of a cousin here in Alola who is also the Pokémon School’s principal, but he has yet to meet him. He already met Professor Kukui on one occasion when he brought lunch for Professor Burnet a week ago, and he doubted the latter would come by this late at night when they often meet in Aether Paradise. He vaguely remembered promising Professor Sonia to help with her research in Galarian history, but that plan is yet on the table. If anything, she will most likely call, seeing how far Alola is from Galar. He contacted Professor Krane regarding his research on Shadow Pokémon a while ago and sent what data he could gather from the two curious cases they have here in Alola, but he doubted his former colleague would be that fast to produce results. He is not an expert like him on the matter - seeing that he only worked with him halfway through before flying to Hoenn on an emergency call - but he is not a slacker either. He knows his stuff, but even so, that is not enough. He might be a jack-of-all-trades, but his expertise lies more on history than anything else.

The knocks became louder, and the professor quickened his pace. His hand itched to reach for the rectangular peephole – a habit he does before opening any door – but he refrained. The knocks became more urgent by the second, and he was concerned that if they got any louder, his wife would wake up despite being a heavy sleeper – a trait Moon inherited from her. He turned the doorknob and opened the door wide enough for him to see who came by. He was surprised to see a pair of familiar, lime green sunglasses that reminded him of a Flygon’s staring back at him.

“Faba?” Elio opened the door wider for the Aether employee. “What are you doing here this late at night? Did something happen?”

“I…” Faba cleared his throat though Elio could sense well the nervous energy around him. His eyes kept darting to the sides as if someone was out to get him. “I apologize for disrupting your rest at such an ill-favored time. It’s just…the President is asking for you.”

“Asking for me?” Elio’s face scrunched to a frown. “She could just give me a call, and I’ll be there.”

He leaned in closer. His voice was merely a whisper. “It’s a matter of confidentiality, Professor.” He was sweating bullets now. “It would be unwise to use such an unconventional way. ‘There are ears everywhere’, so to speak.”

If there’s anything that the professor learned in his years of experience, it is that to listen to your instincts. Right now, his instincts told him to hear out the antsy Flygon-themed employee. “Alright.” He nodded. “Give me a minute, and we’ll go.” The professor swore Faba let out a breath of relief and muttered Thank the deities before he invited him in the living room to wait while he got changed.

Whatever the professor expected the emergency to be, it was not this.

He expected another Pokémon that went berserk or maybe one of those ‘Ultra Beasts’ that attacked Ula’ula Island that afternoon. He envisioned a mysterious relic from the region’s ancient history or perhaps a development – the good kind – from his Pokémon patients. Definitely not this. Not a couple of weirdly dressed individuals of unusual skin coloring that is absolutely not from this dimension, of odd mannerisms that is too stiff, of more advanced technology than he has laid eyes on.

He has studied the legends of the Sinnoh region – the Legendary Pokémon that controls space, time, and antimatter – and has begun studying Alolan history and its otherworldly visitors. Still, he cannot believe that he will be facing the individuals from his own daughter’s tales. It must have been visible in his expression that the Aether President decided to break the ice.

“Professor, I would like you to meet the Ultra Recon Squad.” She gestured at the two. “Phyco, Soliera, this is Professor Elio, a renowned researcher in regional histories.”

The two raised their arms and imitated what seemed to be a stiff version of the Alolan greeting. The man was the first to take the initiative. “Alola. I am Phyco. The captain of the Ultra Recon Squad. It is an honor to meet an individual of high distinction.”

“Oh…” Elio cleared his throat and nodded, clearly not sure how to make of the situation. They are currently in the conservation area; Lusamine sent Faba to assist Burnet, whom the latter called before arriving at his home. All the employees on the night shift cleared out of the place to give way for the private meeting. Only the night lights and the Alolan moon illuminated the spacious floor. “It is nice to meet you as well. I heard about you from my daughter.”

“Daughter?” Phyco questioned.

Lusamine graciously answered in his stead. “Do you remember Moon? The First Alolan Champion?”

“Ah, yes!” Phyco nodded. “I do remember. She is the impressive youth with the Z-Power Ring who vanquished the darkness that surrounded Alola years past. So, you are her sire? I can see some resemblance from you.”

Elio scratched the back of his neck as he smiled sheepishly. “Uh…thanks?”

“She is an outstanding Trainer. We owe her greatly. Ultra Megapolis might still be shrouded in darkness to this day, but at least, the Blinding One’s rage has been quelled for now.” Phyco said. “Alas, that is not the cause of our return in this place.”

“Alola’s in another grave danger,” Soliera said. “As well as many other dimensions that run parallel to this world. A menace beyond what we have known has come to threaten both people and Pokémon.”

The smile on the professor’s face dropped. “What do you mean?”

“Ultra Beasts,” Lusamine answered the professor’s question. A grim expression on her face. “Ultra Megapolis was invaded by Ultra Beasts a month ago in our world’s time, similar to how UB Assembly and UB Lighting was reported to appear here in Alola in the past weeks.”

“Indeed,” Soliera confirmed. “Rarely does an Ultra Beast stumble upon our world, but when one does, we assist it in returning to its homeworld. However, these Ultra Beasts we spoke of arrived suddenly and attacked our people without any reservation. Our defenses have victoriously fended them off, but their masters made off with our Lunala and Solgaleo. It is only by Professor Burnet’s device that we managed to enter this world.”

Elio placed a hand under his chin as he slowly processed it all. “You said something about these ‘masters’,” He said thoughtfully. “Do you happen to have intel about them? What their purpose is for sending Ultra Beasts to your world?”

“We do not have a clear conclusion on their ambition,” Phyco raised his arm and pressed on his wrist guard. A holographic projection flashed in front of them in a crystal-clear resolution. It showed what seemed to be an Ultra Wormhole with tiny dots indicating coordinates in a cryptic language that the professor had never seen. “Our technology has pinpointed their dimensional coordinates. The Ultra Recon Squad has sent a team to infiltrate their world. They have yet to return and report. It may take longer than we calculated without our Lunala and Solgaleo.”

“I see…”

“Fret not, humans of Alola,” Soliera assured them. “We, the Ultra Recon Squad, will assist you in any we can. We will repay our debt on behalf of the people of Ultra Megapolis.”

“That is reassuring to hear.” Lusamine nodded. “You can stay here if you wish. I will ask Wicke to prepare rooms for you.” The Aether President turned to the professor. “Are you going home, Professor?”

Elio shook his head. “I’ll stay.” He answered. “I don’t think I can sleep anytime soon. I will just send a message to Selene later. There are things I need to check up on.”

“Of course. I will leave it to you then. If there is anything you need, do not hesitate to call.”

“Thank you, President.” Elio nodded. He bowed goodbye to his two new acquaintances and watched them trail behind Lusamine as they boarded the lift. As they ascended, a weary sigh escaped the professor’s lips, and he pulled out his phone. His finger skimmed over his messages and tapped on his topmost conversation. His sent messages popping on the screen - all have gone unanswered.

Moon, where are you?


Sun leaned against the balcony railing of his assigned room in one of the two challengers’ hotels. The evening banquet ended almost an hour ago, and most of the participants had already retired back to their respective hotels. The League management made sure to assign rooms in two of the hotels on the artificial island for the challengers to reside in the duration of the tournament. The fifty-eight participants are divided between the two hotels, where all their needs will be accommodated in the course of the championship.

From where he is, he could make out the last of the lit torches on the center of the stadium where the Champion, the Elite Four, and the Kahunas are having their meeting before the official start of the tournament. The full moon has reached its peak in the sky, bathing all of Alola with its soft light. He lifted a black accessory with one hand, gazing at its circular form blocking a portion of the moon.

“How careless. Losing an important item like this.”

A lilac four-legged Pokémon walked up next to him and rubbed against his legs. He reached down and scratched the Pokémon from behind the ears. It purred under his touch as its split tail curled around his leg.

“What do you think?” He tilted his head at his companion. “How long do you think it will take the Champion to notice that he lost one precious Z-Power Ring?”

“Espiii...”

“You’re right. It’s not like he knows who got it.” He lowered his arm and slipped the Z-Power Ring around his left wrist. “We’ll borrow it for a while together with the rest of the goods. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind it much as long as we’re returning it.”

He peeled himself off the railing and placed a hand on his left ear. Voices crackled from the other side of the black earpiece. “Ultra Megapolis was invaded by Ultra Beasts a month ago in our world’s time, similar to how UB Assembly and UB Lighting was reported to appear here in Alola in the past weeks.”

“Indeed. Rarely does an Ultra Beast stumble upon our world, but when one does, we assist it in returning to its homeworld….”

Sun watched impassively as the two Aether siblings appeared down the street. The Champion has his arms around their shoulders with an unmistakable, eager bounce in his steps. The Kahunas and the Elite Four were chatting in lively tones just a few meters behind them.

Just then, Gladion stopped abruptly in his tracks and whipped in his direction. His eyes widened when they landed down on him. Sun let the slight smirk curl on his lips, knowing full well that the green-eyed Trainer could not see it under the tilted cap. Well, that’s interesting.

His companions noticed him tensed and turned to the general direction that Gladion was glaring at. Sun could not hear them, but the ripple of alarm within their ranks was enough to give him an idea of what the Aether heir had told them. He tucked his hands inside his pockets just as a familiar but welcome chill ran up his spine. Behind him, his companion began to grow and morph, its appearance changing drastically from what it looked like previously. The Illusion Fox Pokémon stared down at his Trainer’s soon-to-be opponents with sharp blue eyes.

Hau stomped forward and pointed at him. “Hey, you!” The others turned to the Champion with surprise. Sun simply raised an eyebrow at him. “I don’t care what your deal is, but Glads is no way going to lose to someone like you!” Hau inhaled deeply, cupped his hands, and shouted at the top of his lungs. “GLADION’S GONNA WIN, AND THERE’S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ‘BOUT IT!”

Sun stared at him with brief surprise. He watched as the flustered blond Trainer hissed at him to shut up and tried to grab him when he whined a protest. A few lights from the surrounding buildings turned on as the guests were roused from sleep and peered blearily at the commotion outside their windows. Hau, however, seemed unconcerned about it as he slipped out of Gladion’s grasp and hid behind Lillie.

Heh. Admiration and amusement danced in his eyes as he regarded them. Behind him, Zoroark gave a quiet huff. “Fine by us!” He announced, stopping the two young men in their tracks to turn their attention back to him. “We will not hold back either!”

Gladion smiled despite himself. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Chapter 9: To The Preliminary (Part 1)

Chapter Text

Lillie brushed her fingers against the steel wall of one of the participants’ entrances. From where she is, she could hear the rising excitement from the audience gathered above them. Heart-thrumming, traditional Alolan music blared from the speakers, harmonizing with the cheers of the spectators. At times, she could hear the familiar chant calling out Guzma’s name from the former Team Skull members. For a first-time participant like her, the scene was beyond overwhelming.

She felt a hand on her shoulder, and she turned to see her older brother give her a reassuring smile. Behind him, the other participants were vibrating with energy as they chatted and bid good luck to each other and their partners. Her brother has shed his usual Aether uniform and opted for a darker palette for his clothes. His long, blond hair was tied to a thin ponytail and reached just below shoulder level. It reminded Lillie of when they were younger; her brother donned similar clothes as his way of rebelling against their mother, though Hau and Moon often poke fun of him being emo. Not that he is one for most parts. He just struggles with wearing his emotions at his sleeve, if not for a certain azure-eyed Trainer.

Lillie could tell how much Moon affected him, whether they noticed it or not, though most of the time, she wondered if the previous Champion was messing with her brother on purpose. Lillie swore she usually has that mischievous glint in her eyes whenever she has something up in her sleeves for Gladion. More often than not, she and Hau would get dragged in, and well…chaos ensues afterward.

The music faded to the background as Professor Kukui climbed the stage. Just above him, the Kahunas and the Elite Four were seated in two rows. Hau was positioned closest to the battlefield, just between the Elite Four. Behind them were the rest of the Kahunas. Hau seemed fidgety – a contrast to his usual energetic character. He kept patting his cloak and sometimes, glancing at the nearest exit as if he wanted to be out of there as soon as possible. Behind him, Hala placed a firm hand on his grandson and whispered something, perhaps to appease the anxious Champion. Hau pursed his lips before nodding and trying to get as comfortable as he could on his seat.

“Alola!” Professor greeted. “Today marks the eighth anniversary of the Alolan League Championship. It has been five years since the League was held in this very same stadium. I won’t be making you all wait long. Let’s all welcome our fifty-eight contestants!”

A staff member jogged toward the participants’ entrance, where Lillie and Gladion were holed up with the other contestants. He herded them to the battlefield as the crowd’s cheers rose to a pitch, and they met up with the other half of the contestants; the chant of Team Reskull and the screams of Ilima’s fangirls rising over the rest. Lillie tilted her head and gazed at the luxury box where their mother, Faba, Wicke, Professor Burnet, and Professor Elio were staying at. She could see them waving banners and fans with their names and faces printed on them. Faba was even sporting a bandana and light sticks as if he were in one of Masked Royal’s matches. It was touching – having people support you – but it was embarrassing as well. Lillie could feel her cheeks heating up, and she resisted the urge to hide behind her brother’s back. Gladion maintained his calm, but there was a tinge of red at the tips of his ears, and he kept on averting his gaze away from the luxury box.

“Alola!” Kukui greeted the contestants assembled before him. They greeted him back with more enthusiasm. “I can’t tell you how grateful I am to see so many competitors gathered here at the Manalo Stadium. It’s been long since Alola witnessed its great Trainers battle out in a grand competition, and now you are all here to bring in the Overheat. At this very moment, I hereby declare the eighth Alolan Pokémon League open! It’s time to Shift Gear! GIVE US A FULLY POWERED EXPLOSION!”

“YEAH!” The contestants roared as they pumped their fists in the air. Professor Kukui left the stage and exchanged places with the Kahunas, who will now officiate the first leg of the League.  As the announcer began his introduction, the contestants moved toward their starting positions. The wide screens around the perimeter of the stadium blinked as the Battle Royal rules were explained. Lillie and Gladion sidled next to Guzma and Plumeria, who grinned at them.

Guzma regarded his former enforcer. “Nervous, kiddo?”

Gladion gave him a sideways smile. “Not a bit.”

“Heh.” Guzma grinned. “Looks like it will be the best man standin’, eh? ‘Afraid it’s gonna be yer boy, Guzma.”

“Good luck with that,” Gladion smirked. “Hau’s not going to let go of his title that easy.”

“We’ll see ’bout that.”

“…The Battle Royal will continue until only sixteen contestants remain.” The announcer said. “These sixteen will then be eligible to participate in the next round of the tournament.”

“Big Brother.” Lillie tugged Gladion’s sleeve and pointed at the opposite line. “It’s him.”

Gladion followed his younger sister’s line of sight and saw him standing at the end of the line. Sun surveyed the gathered contestants with a blank look as if this kind of scene were nothing new to him before he noticed the older Aether sibling staring. The red-eyed Trainer acknowledged him with a tip of his hat. Gladion could see the cold, calculating look dancing in the mysterious Trainer’s eyes even from a distance.

Gladion clenched his fists. “I’ll win this.” He told Lillie. “I promise.”

Lillie looked at him with worrying eyes but nodded firmly. The Kahunas marched to the middle of the battlefield and faced the contestants. The screen blinked into the number of the present participants, and the Kahunas raised their arms.

“Pokémon, stand by!”

As the timer began to tick, the Trainers threw their Pokéballs into the air and summoned their partners. The battlefield lighting up in colored streaks of light as Pokémon of different types and shapes made their presence known besides their human partners. Gladion readied the memory discs as Silvally stomped its feet and roared, eager to battle again in the League finally. Shiron nuzzled against Lillie’s ankles to assure her Trainer before jumping to a position beside Silvally. The crowd chanted along as the countdown dwindled to the last digits.

“Three…two…one…”

“BEGIN!”

The crowd roared, and colored clouds of smokes burst above as flare guns were shot. As if a switch was flicked on, the contestants surged forward to meet their opponents as the crowd went wild around them. The battlefield exploded in a storm of lights and dust as attacks came in from all sides — the digital counter dwindling to fifty-six in a matter of seconds.

“Silvally, X-Scissor!”

Silvally’s front claws glowed a bright green and ran to meet an approaching Alakazam. It slashed against the Psi Pokémon, sending it staggering back at the super effective move. It moved again for the same attack at Gladion’s order and finally sent its opponent down. The two did not have time to hear Nanu announce the paired opponents’ elimination as Gladion threw the Dark Memory to Silvally just as a Psyshock was aimed at them. Silvally blocked the attack and struck out Multi-Attack that took down the Elgyem in one shot.

Gladion spared a glance behind him just in time to see Lillie and Shiron take down a Lileep with Powder Snow. Not far from her, Guzma and Plumeria are holding out quite well on their own. A Lurantis and an Alolan Marowak tried to take down the two, but they did not stand any chance against the combination of Golisopod’s Waterfall and Salazzle’s Sludge Bomb. Cheers rose in fever pitch around them as the crowd voiced out their support to their favored participants. Barely hidden behind the curtain of dust and smoke, the counter ticked down to forty-two.

Silvally plowed down to three more before skidding to an abrupt stop. Its head turned to the direction of the sky in alarm. Gladion jogged to its side and was about to ask when he smelled something pungent akin to burning tires. He looked up just in time to see a ball of orange light streaked to the sky before separating into multiple lights. He barely managed to throw the Fairy Memory to Silvally, and the Pokémon pounced at Gladion just in time to protect its Trainer before the Draco Meteor rained down on the unsuspecting contestants. By the time the powerful attack cleared, the counter had plummeted to twenty.

“Ah…” A voice spoke behind them. “I was hoping to end the preliminary round with one attack. Guess that’s just wishful thinking on my part.”

Gladion turned his head and sprung to his feet as he saw Sun standing a few feet away from him. Silvally moved in front of its Trainer and growled at the red-eyed Trainer. To Gladion’s surprise, Sun seemed unfazed by the aggressive display nor found Silvally strange as he looked at the pair with scrutinizing eyes. His partner, a dark navy, lizard-like Pokémon, floated behind him. A perpetual, evil smile on its mouth as its slitted, yellow eyes stared down on Silvally.

“Sun.”

“Mr. Future Aether President,” Sun said. He did not even try to hide his boredom in his voice. “I am impressed you managed to evade Dragapult’s Draco Meteor. Not really surprising coming from one of the Champion’s friends.”

Behind Gladion, the counter ticked down to eighteen. “Well, I am surprised you would approach me as if we were on friendly terms.” His hand reached into his jacket and pulled out the Ice Memory. “I hope you haven’t forgotten we have a deal.”

“Not at all.” Sun shoved his hands inside the pockets of his jacket. “But if you want me to face me, you better survive first.” He tipped his head to the side. “Dragapult, Fire Blast.”

“Silvally!” Gladion threw the memory disc as Silvally leaped in Sun’s direction. “Multi-Attack!”

A pale blue aura flared around Silvally as it ran past the approaching Stealth Pokémon. Fire and ice danced and struck the approaching attackers behind the two Trainers. Two separate blasts of heat and cold melded into each other, and the explosion of vapor swept away the storm of dust enveloping the battlefield. In the background, the speakers blared as the counter flashed the number sixteen in bright red. The Alolan sky lit up with fireworks as the crowd roared in shouts and cheers. The quota of the preliminary round was finally fulfilled.

Sun nodded approvingly at the black-clad Trainer. “Not bad.” He recalled his partner back to its Pokéball and walked toward the green-eyed Trainer’s side. Their shoulders barely touched as he spoke in a low voice. “I will be waiting for you in the finals, Mr. Future Aether President. Don’t lose before then.”

He did not wait to respond as he walked past Gladion and Silvally and back to one of the participants’ entrances. Gladion half-turned and glared at the back of the blue-clad Trainer. Silvally nuzzled reassuringly against its Trainer and made a soft sound – a promise it will do its best to help to protect its Legendary friend.

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” Gladion said. His eyes flitted to Lillie, who embraced Shiron in her arms as she showered her partner with thanks and praises. “Even if it’s the last thing I will do.”

Chapter 10: To The Preliminary (Part 2)

Chapter Text

“YOU WHAT?”

Gladion was hoping – almost pleading – that he could get a break from facing with Sun earlier that day. Still, here he was, currently dealing with the last person he or anyone else in that matter should be stressing themselves about. Not that he was surprised. Hau is one of those people that he could not get his eyes off for a few seconds without getting into some sort of trouble.

“You lost Moon’s Z-Power Ring?” Gladion repeated. His glare at the Champion intensified at each word. “That one Z-Power Ring that the Tapus blessed?”

Hau shrunk beneath his gaze. “…Yes.” He squeaked behind Lillie.

Gladion resisted the urge to strangle Hau right then and now. Instead, he raised his hands to massage his throbbing temples as he muttered a series of curses to himself. After the preliminary round and a quick lunch, the three of them assembled inside the lone luxury box of the stadium. Lusamine, Faba, and Wicke returned to Aether Paradise before their arrival to assist the Ultra Recon Squad in the current Ultra Beast dilemma. Professor Burnet had a call from the Pokémon Center in Hau’oli City and had to leave midway through the preliminary round. Professor Elio went relatively later than the others to pick up the results sent by his colleague from Orre regarding the berserk Pokémon. He hoped it might give them insight into the mysterious incidents and preferably create a cure.

Gladion sunk into the couch, surprising Shiron, who was curled up comfortably after a harrowing battle. “When? When did you lose it?”

Hau did not budge from his hiding place behind his girlfriend. “Last night…I think?” He continued before Gladion made up his mind to kill him from where he stood. “I must have dropped it during last night’s celebration. Maybe someone found it…?”

Gladion glowered. “I swear to Arceus, Hau, if you aren’t Lillie’s boyfriend and the current Champion, I would have ordered Silvally to bite your head off.”

The said Pokémon perked from its nest of couch pillows and towels that it dragged to one corner moments ago. It tilted its head as it eyed Hau with curiosity, probably intrigued by the prospect of having a taste of the Champion. It assumed he might taste like the malasadas he loves so much.

“Big Brother, don’t give Silvally any ideas.” Lillie gently chided, noticing the look Silvally was giving to the dark green-haired Trainer. She coaxed Hau away from her back and sat beside Gladion. “I’m sure whoever found it will return it. Everyone knows how important Z-Power Rings are.”

“Yeah, Lillie’s right.” Hau slid his arms down the backrest of the couch. “No one’s that dumb enough to try stealing a Z-Power Ring.”

“Well, someone’s dumb enough to lose one.” Gladion shot back as the Champion deflated from his perch. “Don’t think you’re off the hook yet.”

“Sowww cwuel, Glawds,” Hau mumbled against the leather skin of the couch. Shiron leapt on the back of the Champion and curled into a cozy ball of white. “I thouwht we’we fwiends.”

“You’re friends, alright,” Lillie said soothingly as she picked up Shiron from her precarious position atop Hau’s back and placed the Alolan Vulpix on her lap. “Big Brother’s just stressed out lately. The Ultra Beasts popping back without Nebby’s interference has started taking its toll on the Aether Foundation.”

Gladion made a sound of annoyance between his teeth. “I had to deal with five media invitations this past week. People are starting to get restless, and I have not gotten an answer from Interpol. If this keeps up -“

“It won’t,” Hau interjected, raising his head to look at the blond. His eyes brooked no argument. “You will win, Glads, and we’ll get the information we need.”

“That is easy for you to say,” Gladion said. “You have seen it, haven’t you? Sun is no weak Trainer. He and his partner eliminated almost half of the contestants in the preliminary round with just one attack.”

“That’s because he ordered his partner to use a wide-range attack!” Hau pointed out. “Of course, that will take down many.”

“Draco Meteor isn’t a move you can just teach your Pokémon, Hau.” Gladion insisted. “It requires an unbreakable bond between a Trainer and his partner Dragon-type Pokémon. Even if your Pokémon gets to learn Draco Meteor, mastering that move is no easy feat.”

Hau raised his arms in annoyance. “Well, tell that to Moon then! She loves spamming Draco Meteor to my face whenever I come around to challenge her.”

Gladion looked a bit offended. “Hau, you have no idea how many times I have to dance around just to escape those meteors raining down on my head!” He glowered. “I swear to the Tapus, Moon was out to kill me every time I climbed up the League.”

“Well…” Hau tilted his head, giving Gladion a knowing, pointed look. “Considering how you acted like a jerk many times before, I can understand where Moon was coming from.”

Gladion scowled at him. “Very funny.”

They are getting along well. Lillie smiled fondly as she watched the two exchange friendly banter. She could still remember how indifferent her brother to the current Champion was. He would often complain of Hau’s carefree and spirited character – from being too amiable to friends and strangers alike to being reckless in the face of danger – and how he gets to his nerves whenever they have a Pokémon battle and Hau loses. She could still remember how he almost strangled Hau two years ago when he learned that they had started dating. It took her brother months before he finally accepted their relationship and learned to restrain his overprotective-big-brother-side whenever she and Hau get a tad close for his liking. Now, he and Hau still bicker at times, but they have gotten close like brothers.

“Kyuu!”

Lillie turned to Shiron, who nudged at her arm and looked at the coffee table. There was a subtle vibration on the glass table coming from Hau’s phone. She picked it up and opened it — the name of the Steel-type Elite Four member popping on the screen. “Hau,” She called out to her boyfriend. “Mister Molayne is calling you.”

“Yeah?” Hau accepted the proffered phone and placed it against his ear. “Alola, Molayne! Is there something I could help you with?” Hau paused, listening to the other end. “It’s about that? Okay! I will put you on speakerphone.”

Hau pushed himself off the backrest of the sofa and rounded the table. He placed his phone on the glass surface and switched the call. Gladion gave Hau a questioning look which the Champion answered by gesturing to the phone. Lillie hurried to the side to provide Hau with enough space to sit beside her.

Molayne’s voice spoke from the phone. “Can you all hear me?”

“Loud and clear.” Gladion answered.

“Good.” The Elite Four member seemed pleased. “I’m not going to beat around the bush. I am calling under the Champion’s order. Hau requested me to do a background check on Sun days ago. Gladion, I’m sure Nanu already told you that the Alolan police found no records of Sun’s travel history to the region, yeah?”

“Yes,” Gladion affirmed. “He told me that Sun most likely arrived in the region under a different name.” Or he just imagined him. Gladion omitted that. Molayne was with them when they happened to see Sun watching their small procession last night.

“That is a possibility, yeah. But I found something odd when I checked in with the airport administration. I requested to see all public and private flight records for the past six months, but the report turned out to be incomplete. There was a particular flight that caught my attention – one from the Galar region three months ago. It was not a chartered flight, but the list of passengers was redacted.”

“Redacted?” Lillie asked, edging closer to the table. “What do you mean?”

“One of the passengers was missing. Or, to be more accurate, the name of the passenger has been withdrawn from all existing records.” Molayne answered. “I managed to contact the airline company of the flight, and they confirmed there was an additional passenger in the flight, but the original list of passengers was turned over to the Galarian police.”

“The Galarian police?” Hau frowned. “What would the police even want from that list?”

“That is something I have yet to find,” Molayne admitted. “I asked for a copy of the list, but the company said that the authorities ordered them to turn over any copy of the list. The company seemed to be still under tight surveillance, and the call I had was cut short unexpectedly. I contacted the Galarian police, but they told me that the Galarian League had taken the original list and the copies. I tried to request communication with their League, but I was denied.”

“That’s…” Gladion ran a hand through his hair. Shock and frustration dancing in his chartreuse green eyes. “I’m not facing an ordinary enemy, aren’t I?”

“We cannot be sure.” The Steel-type Trainer answered — sympathy leaking through his voice. “But we cannot eliminate the fact that Sun might be an invaluable ally. He has powerful connections from another region and has a considerable influence on Alola. I recommend going along with your agreement until we can find more information about his identity.”

“How about the registration he submitted for the League championship?” Hau piped in. “Did you find something?”

“I’m afraid not,” Molayne replied. There was a hint of disappointment in his voice. “I didn’t manage to get my hands on it. It was Miss Kahili who handled the participants’ documents this year. Nanu came over to the League and requested the information for the police investigation just a week ago.”

“Oh, come on!” Hau complained.

“But I spoke with Soffy yesterday. Apparently, he has never met Sun in his Trial.”

“What?” Gladion slammed his palms on the table, surprising Silvally from its nap. “What do you mean he never met Sun in his Trial?”

“It is at it is. Soffy never had Sun as a trial goer.”

“But that’s against the rules!” Lillie pointed out. On her lap, Shiron bobbed her head in agreement. “You can’t participate in the League championship if you didn’t finish all Trials and Grand Trials.”

“Correct,” Molayne confirmed. “That’s why I’m going to meet Nanu tonight and forward this new information to the investigation. Should it be proven to be true, then Sun will be immediately disqualified from the championship. It may also serve as a ground for filing a fraud case.”

The younger Aether sibling glanced at her brother worriedly. “But if Sun gets disqualified, what will happen to the information he promised if Big Brother wins? Won’t that break their agreement?”

“I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it,” Gladion answered in the Elite Four member’s stead. His eyes affixed in a glare to the phone. “Molayne, if anything new comes up, please tell us at a moment’s notice.”

“Don’t worry, Gladion. Just keep our new friend entertained, and we will take care of the rest, yeah? Alola got your back.”

“Understood.”  

Chapter 11: To The Blooming Fragipani

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“A young man with red eyes and blond hair, you say?” Hala placed a hand on his chin as he thought. “I don’t remember having a trial goer like that.”

The second day of the League tournament started more than two hours ago. From where Gladion stood, he could hear the loud cheers as the ongoing match stirred the crowd in a wild frenzy. If he estimated right, the current competition is already the fifth. He already heard the news of Guzma, Kiawe, and Lana winning and Professor Samson losing his match. He peered at his phone where the e-mail sent by the League last night was left on display.

To Gladion,

Alola! Congratulations on qualifying for the second day of the eighth Alolan League championship! Here is the lineup for the eight official matches for tomorrow:

First Match: Ilima vs. Guzma

Second Match: Kiawe vs. Oluolu

Third Match: Lana vs. Mallow

Fourth Match: Sophocles vs. Samson

Fifth Match: Mina vs. Pikala

Sixth Match: Gladion vs. Ryuki

Seventh Match: Lillie vs. Tristan

Eighth Match: Sun vs. Plumeria

Each contestant is required to call out three Pokémon only in this round. Make sure to stay within the stadium’s premises before your match. Your opponent will win by default if you are absent within the first fifteen minutes of your official match. Thank you and do your best!

- Alolan League Confederation

Gladion shoved his phone in his pocket and focused back on the Kahuna of Melemele Island. His match with a guy named Ryuki is next but gathering information regarding what Molayne told them yesterday takes priority. This might be his only opportunity to gather most of the Kahunas and Trial Captains in one place within the duration of the tournament. He could wait after the championship, but Sun seemed to be the kind of person that does not stay in one place and let any trace of his presence linger longer than necessary.

“Molayne told us that Sophocles never had Sun as a trial goer,” Gladion explained. “I’m sorry for asking this but are all you sure none of you fought him before?”

“Not that I know of,” Hapu answered. “If I did, I would have remembered.”

“I’d been busy as of the late,” Olivia admitted. “However, should that boy be a danger to Alola, we would know. The Tapus will never let a threat go unchecked.”

Gladion frowned, running his hand through his hair. “If he didn’t do the island challenge, then there’s no way he would be able to participate in the League.”

“But he did.” Hau pointed out. “According to Miss Kahili, the documents he submitted were complete. He has the island challenge amulet, Z-Power Ring, Z-Crystals…everything! How did he even get them if he didn’t do the island challenge?”

They looked at each other thoughtfully until Olivia spoke up. “…Unless he has someone to lend them to him.” They all whipped their heads to the Rock-type Elite Four member. “Think about this. He has them, but none of us remembered him taking any of the Trials. There have been no reports of a trial goer losing theirs either. The only conclusion we can draw is that someone willingly lent theirs to Sun.”

“But that is still a breach of the rules!” Hapu crossed her arms. A look of infuriation in her eyes. “Not only that, it goes against the Alolan traditions. It’s a sign of disrespect!”

“Without a doubt.” Hala agreed and turned to Olivia. “The League must investigate this matter. If that boy is indeed guilty and so do any accomplices, we must take necessary actions. We cannot let such actions stain the integrity of the region, and the traditions passed to us by the Tapus.”

Olivia nodded. “We’ll get in touch with the police, see if Nanu has found anything in their investigation. For the rest of you,” She swept her eyes on the gathered Trial Captains and fellow Kahunas. “be vigilant. We already have another Ultra Beasts dilemma in our hands. We cannot let any illegal activity go under our noses. If you have any information, tell us immediately. Understood?”

They all nodded. Olivia gestured for her Trial Captains and ushered them to speak privately while the others returned to their respective seats in the stadium. Acerola waved goodbye to Gladion, which the young man returned with a nod. The Ghost-type Elite Four skipped in her steps as she hurried after Ilima. Gladion felt a firm hand settle on his shoulder, and he looked behind him to see the Kahuna of Melemele Island.

“It will be fine,” Hala told him. “The Tapus chose us to become stewards to Alola, and we intend to do so. Not just for its people and Pokémon, but to protect what she has fought for to save.”

Gladion knew who the Kahuna was referring to, but he wondered how the old man could still hold her in such high regard. Especially after she left without a word. Hala seemed to read his thoughts, and he gave him a gentle squeeze. “The Tapus has chosen her for a reason. The Legendary Beast of the Moone has accompanied and lent its power to her for a reason. Nothing happens, and no one is chosen without reason. Just like how Silvally chose you as its most trusted partner.”

Then, what is her reason for abandoning everything? He wanted to ask, but he doubted that even the Kahuna had an answer. The rest of the League did not expect Moon to resign out of the blue and have no idea why, so what difference would it make if he asked Hala?

“Don’t lose faith, child.” The Fighting-type Kahuna said. His kind voice a reminiscent of a father. “She will return. Maybe not today, but someday. But for now,” He patted him on the back as the fifth match concluded, and the stadium was filled with the approving roar of the crowd. “Keep fighting.”


Plumeria had many enemies back when Team Skull was roaming Alola and has taken over Po Town. She has learned to deal with it or, even better, not care about it all. Society has no need for trash like her – people who have failed the island challenge or have given up on life in general. The only one who gave them a home…and a family was Guzma. For years, she worked hard to prove herself and placed her loyalty on Guzma. She became his right-hand woman, and the big sister the grunts come running to when they get a massive beatdown.

When Gladion came around, he annoyed her, but she tried to understand. She quickly became used to the distant and aloof boy who rarely gets himself involved with the other members nor stays in Po Town more than necessary. When she found out a new kid from a foreign region was taking down her brothers and sisters left and right, she made sure to go out of her way to threaten her. Of course, the kid was stubborn as hell and kept it to herself to make Team Skull a part of her business to the point she became the reason they were driven out of Po Town, and Team Skull was officially disbanded. Despite being the worst pain in the ass, the kid, Moon, became a trusted ally, friend, and little sister in the end.  

Plumeria thought Moon was the worst problem she would ever face, but now, looking at the boy standing across her on the battlefield, she resisted the strong urge to lunge at him and slam him against the wall. The damn kid was looking around with a bored expression on his face as if he were not in a championship tournament right now. His hands were tucked in his pockets, and his cap barely hid the upper part of his face.

Now, she understands Gladion’s frustration about this guy. Something about him rubs her the wrong way. She could not point out what exactly, but she sure as hell that taking down the boy would be more than just simply satisfying.

“Hey, you!” The boy’s red eyes flickered to her, but there was no change in his expression. “I don’t know what your deal is, but I don’t like how you’re strutting around like you own people.”

The boy has the audacity to raise an eyebrow and feign ignorance. “I don’t know why that is any of your business.”

“It is my business.” Plumeria shot back. “I don’t like how you’re treating my friends, and I don’t like how you’re acting like you own this place. Learn your place, kiddo. This is not your turf to mess with. No one owns Alola.”

There was a flash in the boy’s eyes that came so quickly that Plumeria almost missed. She barely heard his quiet response. “We’ll see.”

“Contestants!” Olivia called out. It has not gone unnoticed to Plumeria how the eyes of the Rock-type Elite Four member lingered longer on Sun. “Bring out your first Pokémon!”

Plumeria pulled out a Pokéball and called out her first Pokémon. “Come out, Crobat!”

Sun tipped his hat and threw his Pokéball with little zeal. “Come, Corviknight.” A large, armored, black bird Pokémon came out and screeched. His large wings blew a gust of dust across the battlefield as he landed before his Trainer.

“It seemed Plumeria has chosen Crobat as her first Pokémon while Sun has chosen Corviknight!” The tournament announcer said. “For spectators and participants alike, Corviknight is a Pokémon not found in the Alola region. Rather, it is native in the region of Galar. Corviknight is a Steel and Flying-type Pokémon, and given its dual-typing, Crobat is at a disadvantage!”

There was a loud Oooh! from the crowd, and it was expected. Plumeria has not seen any Pokémon like it and has never had an opportunity to fight it before. However, no matter impressive it may be, she still plans to take down this arrogant boy once and for all. She did not go through hell and back just to be beaten up by the likes of him.

Olivia raised the side of her hand as she called out. “Contestants!” She brought her hand down in a swift, chopping gesture. “Let the match begin!”

Plumeria seized the chance for the first move. “Crobat, Fly!” Crobat immediately launched to the sky and headed straight toward Corviknight. Her body flared in light blue as she surged toward the Raven Pokémon.

“Corviknight, Iron Defense.” Corviknight screeched as his body glowed and glinted like steel. Crobat’s assault was deflected, sending the Bat Pokémon flying back. But before Crobat could fully recover, Sun called out an order. “Grab it.”

Corviknight launched himself and snatched the poor Crobat mid-air with his sharp talons. Crobat shrieked and tried to struggle free, but her cries were swiftly drowned when Corviknight threw the Bat Pokémon to the ground. His black wings dispersed the dust as he hovered above his opponent.

“Crobat!” Plumeria was about to give an order, but Sun beat her to it.

“Body Press.”

Corviknight immediately responded to his Trainer’s order and flew higher. His black body began to swirl in orange light as he nosedived straight to the staggering Crobat. The impact shook the battlefield as a new storm of dust swept over the stadium. Plumeria covered her eyes as dust blew past her. She coughed out Crobat’s name as the dust slowly settled down.

“C-Crobat!” Her eyes searched wildly for one of her partners, and she was greeted with a fainted Crobat lying still on the middle of the battlefield.

“Crobat is unable to battle! Corviknight wins!” Olivia announced.

The crowd roared as Plumeria recalled Crobat to her Pokéball. “Thank you. You did your best.” Her lungs still burned from the dust as her eyes flitted to Corviknight, which landed before his Trainer and Sun looking more bored than he was before the beginning of the match.

Plumeria clicked her tongue. Tsk! She pulled out her second Pokéball and threw it into the air. “It’s your turn, Muk!” The Sludge Pokémon appeared before her. Psychedelic colors pulsating on her oozy form.

“Plumeria called out Muk as her second Pokémon!” The announcer said. “Let’s see if they can break through Corviknight’s solid defenses!”

“We’ll take it down, alright! Muk, Rock Slide!” The white shards on Alolan Muk’s body began to glow, and an orb of light formed before her. The light streaked to the sky, and rocks rained down the battlefield.

Sun glanced at Corviknight, and without a word from his Trainer, the Raven Pokémon launched to the sky and weaved through the falling rocks. “U-turn.” Corviknight’s wings glowed in a white, and he slashed against Alolan Muk. His opponent’s health bar slid down to half on the screen, and Corviknight returned to his Pokéball in a flash of red. Another light flared in blue, and Dragapult took Corviknight’s position on the battlefield.

“Look at that! Sun switched out Corviknight using U-Turn and revealed Dragapult as his second Pokémon!” The announcer explained as the list of Sun’s Pokémon in the match updated on the screen. “If anyone remembered yesterday’s preliminary round, Sun chose Dragapult as his partner Pokémon. Like Corviknight, it is native in the Galar region and has a dual-typing of Dragon and Ghost!”

Clever tactic, kiddo. Plumeria thought. But it will change nothing. “Toxic!”

Poisonous fumes shrouded Alolan Muk, and one of her sludgy arms lurched toward her opponent. Sun, however, seemed to be unconcerned and called out an order. Dragapult moved little from his spot as a ball of swirling flames formed from his maw. The fireball launched straight to Alolan Muk and dispersed into a five-point flaming star as it hit its target. Alolan Muk staggered back as the attack took down her remaining health.

“Muk is unable to battle!” Olivia declared. “Dragapult wins!”

Plumeria gritted her teeth. This kid-! She looked up to glare at the boy, but when Sun met her eyes, a chill went up to her spine. Something about those red eyes felt familiar…like she had seen that look before and never wanted to see it again. At that moment, she knew this kid was not someone to mess with, and the gap between their strength was beyond tremendous. With trembling hands, she recalled Alolan Muk to her Pokéball.

“Your next Pokémon….” Sun started after a moment. His unnerving eyes never left hers. “It would be Salazzle, isn’t it?”

Plumeria would be lying if she said she did not flinch the slightest. The boy became infuriating to terrifying within minutes, and it reminded her of Moon. Yes, that is right. Moon. The First Alolan Champion is usually bubbly, reckless, and nosy - always poking her nose in other people’s business when she was supposed not to – but rarely angered. She could still remember that one time, that only one time, she witnessed an angry Moon. The kid was mad at Guzma for being an idiot for joining Lusamine in Ultra Space and several other reasons even Plumeria was mad about. Moon challenged Guzma to a battle and floored him with just one Pokémon of her own. She remembered the way her usually sparkling eyes darkened, and her voice became so quiet it might be a whisper. At that moment, Plumeria felt that she was being suffocated and there was no way out.

“Don’t do that again.”

That is all Moon told him. Those four words were all that left her lips before storming off and leaving an unsaid promise of not forgiving him the second time should he try to pull off a stupid stunt like that again. Facing against Sun, it was the same feeling, but something about Sun that makes him more dangerous…like he knows exactly what she was thinking and hiding and like he knows her longer than Plumeria knows him.

Plumeria swallowed the lump in her throat. No. She should not let him get through her. She glanced behind her where her little brothers and sisters were shouting encouragement to her. Their voices seemed muted amidst the blood roaring in her ears. Then, her eyes met Guzma.

That is right. Plumeria told herself. She was the one who told him to join again. She knows that whether she wins or loses, they will not judge her. Guzma will not judge her. No one will judge her and tell her off. They will remain her family. Hell, even the Kahunas and Trial Captains have become part of their dysfunctional family. She has a place where she belongs.

Plumeria let out a breath and smiled. Guzma nodded at her encouragingly as their former grunts kept on with their raucous cheers. “GO, BIG SIS! SHOW THAT KID WHO’S THE BEST!”

Plumeria chuckled lightly and reminded herself to take them out for dinner after this. She turned back to her opponent, who seemed amused – at least, that is what it looked like to her. The damn cap made it difficult to read the kid’s expression.

“Let’s finish this, kiddo! No more holding back!” She threw her last Pokéball into the air. “I choose you, Salazzle!” The Toxic Lizard Pokémon stood proud and tall as she studied her opponent with purple, slitted eyes. Dragapult flicked his tail as he returned Salazzle’s gaze.

“Salazzle, Dragon Pulse!” Salazzle crouched on all fours and opened her mouth. A multi-colored ball of light swirled from her mouth and fired off as a dragon-shaped beam toward Dragapult.

Sun tipped his hat. “Counter it.” Dragapult unleashed another Fire Blast, which collided with Salazzle’s Dragon Pulse. Plumeria did not wait for the resulting smoke from the collision to dissipate and took advantage of the momentary pause to call out an attack. Salazzle rushed toward her opponent and leaped to the air. She opened her mouth and unleashed a barrage of brown blobs. Dragapult barely has time to react and avoid the Sludge Bomb. One hit successfully, leaving the Stealth Pokémon poisoned.

Salazzle flicked her tail triumphantly as her magenta markings flared. “Well done, Salazzle!” Plumeria smirked as Dragapult wobbled at its side of the battlefield. “Follow up with Dragon Pulse!”

Salazzle opened her maw, but before her attack could reach Dragapult, Sun’s voice cut through. “U-turn.”

Dragapult let out a shrill cry and, despite his status ailment, weaved nimbly away from the Dragon move and headbutted his wing-shaped head against Salazzle. The Toxic Lizard skidded back at the impact, and Dragapult switched out in a flash of red. Corviknight returned to his place on the battlefield, and he did not waste time waiting for his Trainer’s order. The Raven Pokémon swooped toward his opponent and grabbed her by his talons.

“…Body Press.”

Corviknight dropped Salazzle mid-air and nosedived toward the flailing Pokémon. The battlefield shook upon impact, and Plumeria stood stunned as the dust around them settled down. It happened so fast that she did not have time to give out an order to Salazzle. The kid’s Pokémon acted without more than one order from its Trainer as if it knew what Sun was thinking beforehand. How…?

Olivia walked gingerly toward Salazzle and slowly raised her hand. “Salazzle is unable to battle, and Plumeria has no Pokémon remaining!” She gestured reluctantly at the kid. “Sun wins this match!”

Notes:

I love Team Skull. Don't question it.

Chapter 12: To Chase After (Part 1)

Chapter Text

Professor Kukui is usually a man of free time – studying Pokémon moves requires little paperwork and more on-the-field observations. Being locked in the lab is more of his wife’s area rather than his. He might be one that looks after the house most of the day, but when it comes to being a Trainer, he is the one to take the lead between the two of them.

Ultra Wormholes appearing out of the blue is not a piece of confidential information in Alola. Everyone is regularly reminded to be vigilant and be on the lookout for these interdimensional portals. Since the massive Ultra Beast outbreak six years ago, a proper response procedure has been crafted to deal with the occasional Ultra Wormholes. The Aether Foundation volunteered to become the central communication center. With the help of his wife, they created a robust system that can detect the burst of Ultra Aura that these interdimensional rifts emit.

A team composed of trained Aether employees and any available Trial Captains and Kahunas will be sent out to capture the Ultra Beasts, if there is any, and send them back through the same rift they came from. The team will be led by Gladion, who has the most experience in dealing with Ultra Beasts from his short time with Interpol years ago. Once the place is secured, Lillie will call out Nebby to close the Ultra Wormhole immediately. It may be simple, but the battle that occurs is not. Fortunately, encounters with Ultra Beasts have been rare for the past five years, and people have been cooperative with the task force.

Now, with the new Ultra Beast crisis and the ongoing Alolan championship, Professor Kukui has little time to spare. That little time is being spent collaborating with Professor Elio. Since the start of the tournament, the number of reported cases of Pokémon going berserk has climbed from two to twenty-four in a matter of days. More and more Pokémon that were attacked have been admitted to Pokémon centers, transferred to the Aether Paradise - all of which sporting wounds dripping in a violent shade of purple - and have been bedridden since their arrival.

But that is not the worst part. The first victim they had has gotten worse. Kahuna Hala’s Machamp has fallen into a deep coma, and black crystals have crawled over his skin from the wounds where the berserk Alolan Persian has slashed him. His transgressor has shown no signs of improvement either and has been lashing out every time an employee comes by its isolation cage. The police detained and interrogated the trial goer, but all they could get from him was that someone gave him the black Z-Crystal he used before his Pokémon went berserk. The Z-Crystal has yet to be found, and the details regarding the one who handed the Z-Crystal have been vague. The trial goer admitted he did not see the face but told them that it was a woman.

“Kukui, my boy,” The professor shook out from his thoughts and turned to the approaching Kahuna. Hala has been going to the Aether Paradise every day to visit his Machamp. Kukui could not remember a day that the old Kahuna missed seeing his ill Pokémon. “Any news?”

Kukui shook his head apologetically. “’Afraid not.” He placed a hand on the glass window overlooking Machamp’s room. “He’s…getting worse. I’m sorry.”

“Don't be, my boy.” Hala placed a firm hand on Kukui’s shoulder. “None of us wished for this to happen. I worry for Machamp, but there are things I must attend to. I know that he would agree with me.”

Kukui respects the old Kahuna, and right now, he admires how Hala has remained calm and rational despite the dire situation one of his partner Pokémon is in. “Professor Elio has given us the results from his colleague in Orre. Unfortunately, it did not match the aura signature found from these ‘Shadow Pokémon’. We are back from square one.”

“We can wish for all the answers to land on our hands,” Hala told him. “but the time for them to be at our reach will not be in our will. “

Kukui placed his hands inside the pockets of his lab coat. “Time sure has flown fast. Hau has been the Champion for five years now, and my former assistant is on her way to becoming a Pokémon professor. All the Trial Captains have grown in their ways, and some, if the Tapus chose to, will become the next generation of Kahunas someday.”

“And you’re a father of three years.” Hala smiled knowingly.  “Times have changed, and we changed along with it.”

Kukui smiled fondly. “I’m thankful for Missus Selene looking after our boy while Burnet and I have been busy for the past month. We don’t want to be away from Lei, but with things going awry right now, it would be for the best.”

“That is true. No parent would wish to put their child in harm’s way.” Hala’s gaze drifted toward his bedridden Pokémon. “Selene misses her daughter, doesn’t she?”

Kukui’s smile faded, and he nodded grimly. “Five years is a long time. Moon often went home when she was still in Alola but now…I don’t think I could understand what Missus Selene was feeling, waiting for my child who has chosen to disappear.”

“Perhaps, but there is no way we could know why Moon has chosen to disappear,” Hala said. “Things happen for a reason. We chose to do things for a reason. All we could do is to believe it is for the right reason.”

“And if it isn’t?”

“Then, it is up for the Tapus to judge.”


Lillie has seen things that many people never had the chance to witness. From watching the mysterious Pokémon she has protected for months evolve into a Legendary Pokémon to entering a dimension that her father believed and dedicated his whole life to studying, she has seen more truths than an ordinary person has ever learned. She grew up hiding in the shadows - watching behind people’s backs as they fight her battles. Since then, she chose to protect, to follow the path her first-ever friend has walked before her. She trained to become stronger, took the Island Challenge to understand what makes a Pokémon Trainer, and became an assistant to Professor Burnet. She is a Trainer, yes, but she also chose to become a Pokémon professor in the future.

She was elated after winning her match on the second day of the eighth Alolan League championship, but she felt small when she witnessed the match between Sun and Plumeria. She forgot that the tournament is the battle of the strongest Trainers in Alola, and only the strongest among the strong can survive and rise to the top. There are Trainers far more powerful than her…and Hau will someday have to let go of his title as Champion, no matter how strong he is now.

Lillie felt scared. What if she faced Sun next? The match was more than enough evidence of Sun’s strength and ruthlessness as a Trainer. It was no wonder how he could casually roam Alola and challenge Gladion, who is revered as one of the strongest Trainers in Alola, without batting an eye. Her older brother promised to defeat Sun, and the League is taking measures against Sun.

Everything will be fine, right?

She stood up from her bed and draped a small portion of the blanket over Shiron. The Alolan Vulpix has fought hard during today’s match and deserved to rest well. Her other Pokémon are settled comfortably in their Pokéballs, and Lillie decided to take it as a chance to get some time alone. She peered at her phone and skimmed through the messages. Her mother has sent some to congratulate her and her team’s victory and reminded her to eat and sleep well. A few were from the employees in the Aether Foundation, her friends, and fellow contestants. She got one from her older brother, who was given a room two floors above hers. Hau sent her a lot, and she was sure that the bouquet and the bag of malasadas she received earlier were from him too.

Lillie sent out a short message to her brother, saying that she would be going out in a bit if he descended to find her. She quietly closed the door behind her, boarded the elevator down to the ground floor, and walked out the lobby. Cool night breeze greeted her as she stepped past the revolving glass doors. Contestants and spectators alike strolled and hung out around the courtyard fountain. Their lively chatter filled the gentle silence of the Alolan night. There are booths of different kinds on one side – most of which display local wares and dishes of the region. On any other day, she would have let a bit of curiosity get the best of her and checked the booths, but tonight, she prefers some solitude for herself.

Lillie distanced herself from the crowd, veering away from the main roads. The tiled paths were lit – lampposts with colorful banners reading The Eighth Alolan League Championship: Second Manalo Conference glittered in gold with the stamps of the four islands and the Alolan League. There were fewer people near the docks compared to the hotel's courtyard – many of which were on their way back to their respective hotels. Wild Pokémon roamed the docks and mingled with some Trainers and their partner Pokémon. She chose a spot by the edge and sat down on the cold cement. Removing her shoes, she let the cool water touch the soles of her feet. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she looked up to the night sky.

She sat there for ten minutes or more, amusing herself with tracing the constellations in her mind when she heard a soft THUMP! not far away. A figure silhouetted in the dark leaped off the deck of a small ship and landed gracefully on the cemented ground. It walked away casually from the vessel and stepped to the lit path above the docks. Lillie’s eyes widened, and a gasp escaped her lips.

Sun!

The blond Trainer paused on his steps and looked around as if he were searching for something. Lillie scrambled to stand - her wet feet imprinting her footsteps on the cement - and tucked herself in a dark corner of the docks to hide. What is Sun doing here? She patted her pockets for her phone, only to realize that she had left it in her hotel room. She pursed her lips and peered at the Trainer, who had one hand pressed on his ear.

Lillie could barely make out the movement of his lips before he disappeared from her sight above. Making sure that she was nowhere near the red-eyed Trainer’s line of sight, she emerged from her hiding place and pondered on what to do. She could run back to the hotel and tell her brother. Then, what? By the time she gets to his brother, Sun will be nowhere to be found. If she followed him, however, she could learn a thing or two about his plans. Maybe, she will find out what he is after - what he wants from Nebby. It is a risky plan – she has no means of communication nor any of her Pokémon with her - but it is her only shot.

Steeling herself, Lillie hurriedly slipped her shoes back on and scrambled up the stone stairs. She followed the direction where she saw Sun headed and kept an eye out for any sign of the Trainer. It was easy to look for him, considering that he was going in the direction where there were even fewer people around. That, and for someone aloof and under suspicion, he stood out well in a crowd. Maybe because of the clothes or his height, Lillie could not tell. There is just something about the guy that draws people in like a magnet, even if he did not mean to.

She watched him stroll toward the side of the stadium, completely ignoring the police patrolling the area as if they did not exist at all. The police barely threw him a glance which Lillie found odd, and moved out of his way as if to avoid him (or create an excuse, which she found to be a crazy idea). She thought she must be that tired to the point that she saw things, but she froze on the spot when Sun paused on his steps. He looked up at the stadium and shook his head, muttering something to himself. Lillie hastily ducked behind an empty guard station as Sun retraced his steps and walked away from the stadium.

Lillie peered from her hiding place and let out a breath of relief. Too close. She stepped out and anxiously looked at the stadium and then, to Sun’s retreating figure. What was that? What happened? Before she could ponder more, Sun suddenly took off. Lillie is taken aback by the sudden change of behavior from the mysterious Trainer and has no choice but to sprint after him. She followed him back near the docks before he disappeared in the direction of the other participants’ hotel. There were a few closed shops around which Lillie recognized from the first Manalo conference. Many of the old shops from that time were left abandoned since Moon left Alola. Only some were rented and put back into use by the time the second conference started. Many businesses were reluctant to buy or rent one because of the uncertainty of future League championships being held again in the Manalo stadium.

Lillie slowed down, unsure of what to do next, when she heard hushed voices coming from somewhere besides a closed shop. She took a deep breath and tiptoed her way toward a dim alley. She followed the brick walls until she came across piles of sealed crates near the corner. Orange light lit a small portion of a wall and five shadows, human shadows, moved against it. The voices grew louder as she crept close behind a crate.

“…plan is perfect.” A woman’s voice hummed sweetly. “Those naïve fools do not know what is coming to them….”

That voice….Lillie knows that voice, but that is impossible. It just can’t be. She can’t…she won’t…Before her resolution crumbles, she decides to risk a peek. There was a blur of white, black, and pale yellow in her sight as something grabbed her arm and dragged her inside the shop. She felt the cold marble on her palms as she hit the floor and heard a CLICK! as a door carefully closed behind her. She should have done something…said something, but whoever pulled her beat her to it.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

Chapter 13: To Chase After (Part 2)

Chapter Text

Panic immediately seized her as she stared at the eyes of her captor. Familiar chartreuse green eyes met hers, and the resolution she had minutes ago quickly evaporated. Her body went rigid as she remained sitting on the floor. Whatever words she was about to say died in her throat when her older brother hissed at her.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

Lillie’s throat felt dry like the Haina Desert, and Gladion was still tightly gripping her upper arm. His hold did not hurt, but the entirety of her was scared. She could not move, could not even pull back her arm back. At the back of her mind, she thought she was done for. She felt small and helpless under his glare, and she wished she was anywhere but here. It was stupid of her to think she could pull a stunt as dangerous as this, unlike her older brother, Moon, or even Hau.

Gladion must have sensed her fear, and he promptly let go of her arm. He knelt in front of Lillie and wrapped her trembling frame in an embrace. “It’s okay, Lillie. I’m here. You’re safe.”

Lillie buried her head on his shoulder. Her eyes burned, but she tightly closed her eyes to ward off the tears that were threatening to spill. It felt like when they were younger – Gladion had not run away from their suffocating home yet, and all they could do was to watch their mother descend to mad obsession. Behind the polished white and glittering gold of the Aether mansion, all they had was each other and nothing more.

Gladion rubbed circles on her back and continued whispering reassurances until she finally calmed down. Lillie pulled away and wiped the tears on the corner of her eyes. She was not as shaken as before, but her hands still trembled. “We’ll talk about this later,” Gladion said as he held out a hand. “But first, let’s get out of here.”

Lillie nodded and took his hand. Gladion helped her up on her feet and led her out of the shop. She wanted to ask how he managed to procure a key of the abandoned shop, but she felt light-headed to speak a few words. She could no longer hear the hushed voices from the corner – the light was gone, and whoever was talking back there must have left already. Gladion did not let her hand go until they reached the hotel, and Lillie had to hasten her pace to keep up with her brother’s quick strides. He seemed to be in a hurry to get out of that place, and from his expression, he seemed bothered by something.

Instead of going to her room, the elevator led them two floors up, and Gladion steered her to his assigned room. He ushered her inside and closed the door shut behind him. Lillie wanted to ask, but Gladion headed straight to the balcony with his phone at hand. Is he going to tell Mother? He seemed really angry. Lillie stood uncomfortably by the door as she watched him pace back and forth on the balcony. She could not hear what he was saying with the glass doors shut, but he could see how infuriated he was.

Her older brother stayed outside for a mere three minutes before he stepped back inside. The last fragments of his conversation over the phone trailed behind him. “…soon.” He said. “I will see you tomorrow.”

Lillie reluctantly approached him. “Big Brother… I’m sorry. I should have called you first, but I-“

Gladion paused and raised his palm to stop her. “Lillie, sit down first.” He gestured to the coffee set, and it was the first time that Lillie noticed the mess on the table. There was a thin stack of papers and a few folders on one side. A couple of them have the Aether Foundation logo, while the rest have the Alolan League symbol. A few of the papers have notes written in red – no doubt that it was Gladion’s handwriting.

Gladion disappeared into the bathroom just as Lillie settled down uncomfortably on the sofa and returned with a medical kit. He sat down next to her and dropped his find on the table. He gestured for Lillie to show her left hand. There was a minor scrape that Lillie did not notice earlier. “You probably got it when you fell on the floor after I pulled you. Sorry about that.”

“It…it didn’t hurt that much,” Lillie admitted, watching her brother roll up his sleeves and begin gently cleaning the scrape with an alcohol-soaked cotton ball. She winced when the alcohol made contact.

“Still, I should have been more careful,” Gladion said. “When I received that message, I panicked. All I was thinking back then was to get to you as soon as I could.”

“What message…?”

Gladion did not answer right away and put aside the used cotton ball. He unfurled a roll of bandage and wrapped her cleaned palm. Satisfied with his work, he picked up his phone, opened it, and handed it over to her. Lillie gingerly took the gadget and looked at a message displayed on the screen. It was from an unknown number, but Lillie felt her throat closed up as she read.

Your little sister is being too nosy for her own good. If you want her out of trouble, get to this address as soon as you can. I am sure you would not let me down, Mr. Future Aether President.

Below it was an address and a virtual map where she was supposed to have gone before her brother found her. Gladion gently pried the phone off her hand and placed it on the table. “I do not have to go to the police to know who sent it.” He said. His eyes darkened as he continued. “When I first read it, I thought it was a sick joke, so I went down to your room. When I discovered you haven’t returned yet, I immediately ran to the place.”

Lillie decided to ask the question that had been bothering her. “How did you get in?”

“What?”

“How did you get in that shop? Wasn’t it supposed to be abandoned?”

“That’s…” Gladion frowned, trying to remember. “When I get there, it was open. The doors weren’t locked. I thought someone might have rented it….” Realization flashed in his green eyes. Do not tell him-! 

“Big Brother?” Lillie watched him rummage through the folders and files on the table. The Aether files were moved aside as Gladion picked through a couple of folders containing reports before the championship. All of them were copies of the official information from the League. 

“That guy-!” Gladion gritted his teeth. “He knows. Sun was expecting for something like this to happen!” He pulled out a paper with much force that it almost ripped to half. It was an account of businesses that rented or bought a place within the stadium. There was a small two-dimensional map of the whole Manalo stadium, with many buildings colored in green. A list of business names was enumerated on the side. Lillie recognized the shop she went to and gasped when she saw it uncolored.

“Tch! How did he-? No one rented that place, and the key was entrusted to the Aether Foundation!” Gladion gripped the paper. “Don’t tell me he sneaked into the mansion and stole it?” He turned to his sister, who looked shocked as he was infuriated. “Lillie! What happened there? What did you see?”

“I… I’m not sure.” She admitted as she clasped her hands on her lap. “There were crates, lots of them, and a light. I saw shadows…I think people were talking at the back of the shop. When I tried to get a look, I thought I saw…I saw…her….”

“Who?” Gladion prodded. “Who did you see, Lillie?”

“I…” Lillie bit her lower lip and lowered her eyes. “I saw-“

Lillie almost jumped from the sofa when her brother’s phone buzzed. Gladion made a sound of irritation and picked up his phone. Lillie watched his face morph from a look of annoyance, shock, and then anger. His fury was palpable that she was afraid that he might hurl his phone across the room. She risked a peek and felt her heart drop from her chest.

To Gladion,

Alola! Congratulations on qualifying for the quarterfinals of the eighth Alolan League championship! Here is the lineup for the four official matches for tomorrow:

First Match:  Sophocles vs. Mina

Second Match: Lillie vs. Sun

Third Match: Guzma vs. Lana

Fourth Match:  Gladion vs. Kiawe

Each contestant is required to call out three Pokémon only in this round. Make sure to stay within the stadium’s premises before your match. Your opponent will win by default if you are absent within the first fifteen minutes of your official match. Thank you and do your best!

- Alolan League Confederation


Sun gazed at the framed paintings hanging on the walls of his hotel room. The bright, still landscapes of the Alolan islands washed in soft strokes of lively colors have become a familiar sight in the few days he has taken temporary residence. Though he could simply step out on the balcony and revel in the real-life versions of the paintings, he prefers the static imagery of the artworks. It was melancholic – a reminder of why he was in this region in the first place.

Leaning against the backrest of the woven chair, he tapped an impatient finger on the back of the phone that had been ringing for a minute and a half now. He understood the need for secure communication, but it should not take them that long to answer, especially if they are the ones who provided him the device. After another minute and a few security checks, the call finally picked up. A woman’s voice answered from the other line, barely audible amidst the noise in the background.

“This is Sun.” He started, not giving the receiver a chance to speak first. He knew that if he gave a chance, he would have to deal with unnecessary dramatics. “I know that I am not supposed to call, but there have been recent developments.”

His eyes swept at the clutter on the coffee table in front of him. A few folders were stacked on one side, with the top bearing the scrawled title Eighth Alolan League Championship: List of contestants. A few papers were detached from it and spread on the glass surface. Attached to each were familiar faces he recognized from the past two days. “The second day went off without a hitch as expected, and so did the first phase of the plan. I just hit a small snag tonight, but it has been taken care of. The ship will depart and reach its destination before sunrise tomorrow as scheduled.”

“How about them?” The woman’s voice asked. “Have they suspected our interference with Alola’s affairs?”

“No…not that I heard of. They are still scrambling their heads. They have no idea that the Foundation is already sinking its fangs deep into the region. They would, probably, but only if they are aware of them.” Sun reached to the pocket inside his jacket and pulled out a black Z-Crystal. He raised the crystal against the fluorescent light, noting how it absorbed the light and left only a black void. “The Z-Crystals can only be used once, effectively destroying any evidence into dust. Literally. And with the professor’s data disproving its connection to the Shadow Pokémon in Orre, they are simply charging in blind.”

“You sound confident. I hope you are aware that one of Alola’s Elite Four almost managed to track down your movements three months ago.”

Sun waved off the not-so-noticeable alarm in the woman’s voice. “Why am I not surprised?” His eyes trailed to a file of a particular Steel-type Elite Four member. “Don’t worry about it. I already got in touch with the twin Champions. They told me that the Galarian League have gotten hold of the documents and have already sent it your way a month ago.”

“We received them, yes, but that is not the problem -“

“My cover’s still intact if that’s what you want to know.” Sun interrupted as he slipped the crystal back inside his pocket. “Those theatre lessons in Unova really paid off. If my cover’s blown,” He smirked to himself. “It’s up to you to get me out. They will not be very pleased once they find me out.”

There was a subtle huff from the other end. Probably from her companion. “Very well.” The woman’s voice relented. “Proceed with the plan and exercise caution. I will keep outside interferences from hindering our movement. No one must know what we are after in that region. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“I know you will not fail us, Sun.” With that, the line fell dead.

Chapter 14: To Protect Them

Chapter Text

Lillie clasped her hands together, watching them tremble on her lap. Her heart thrummed painfully against her chest, and she could no longer count how many times she had been told to take deep breaths. How she managed to get a few hours of sleep last night was beyond her. She appreciates her friends' effort to soothe her, but with every minute that ticked by, it felt like she was trudging back in the Ultra Deep Sea, approaching the hybrid monstrosity that was her mother. As its name suggests, it is supposed to be a sea, but the lack of water contradicts her knowledge of Earth's seas. There is no water, but she felt like she was drowning….

"Hey there, girlfriend." Lillie was jarred out of the memory, and she looked up to see Hau smiling at her. The Champion sneaked out of the spectators' area and into the participants' lobby, where Lillie waited for Sophocles and Mina's match to end. She was grateful that her opponent was not in the same room as her, but it did not calm her nerves as she hoped. She insisted the others watch the first match, not wanting to make Sophocles and Mina feel bad, even though they were pretty much against it. In the end, they relented at her request and promised to cheer their best for her later.

Hau sat down beside her on the bench and took her hand. Lillie watched him place the treat he loved so much on her open palm. "Here," He said. "You should not go to battle hungry."

Lillie blinked at the malasada, and slowly, a small smile broke out of her face. She cradled the food with both hands. "Thanks, Hau." She took a bite and let the sweet flavor of the malasada spread on her taste buds at the first bite. Slowly, the tension on her shoulders eased away, and Hau joined her as he brought out the rest from the paper bag.

"You know?" Hau swallowed his food and wore the familiar grin that Lillie knows and loves of him. "I once brought Glads a bag of malasada. Did you know what he said?" He stood up and covered a part of his face with one hand to imitate the older Aether sibling. “’I don’t like malasadas’. That's what he said! Can you believe it? He said that to me when I saw Moon bringing him some that one time and he did not even share!"

"I'm pretty sure Big Brother has his reasons."

"Reasons, yeah!" He placed his hands on his hips. "I'm sure he was just acting out of favoritism. Like, you know, he likes somebody. Really, really likes somebody! I bet he never said no to Moon…well, maybe he did, but that was before he realized his feelings. The point is, he's in denial! Like, really bad!"

Lillie giggled. "He is, isn't he?" There was the sparkle in Lillie's eyes that Hau loves. "He often turns down desserts, but if it were Moon's work, he would share to no one."

Hau nodded vigorously in agreement. "He should work out on being subtle about it." They shared a knowing look and broke out into laughter. Positive that he had accomplished his mission, he engulfed her in a bear hug. "There's my girl! See? I told you, you should not go to battle hungry. Or in fixing your brother's terrible love life!"

Lillie laughed and returned his hug, albeit weaker. She rested her head on his shoulder and whispered. "Thank you, Hau."

"Anything for my awesome girlfriend."

They stayed like that for a few moments, relishing the warmth of each other, before the double doors creaked open and a familiar voice spoke up. "I just left you for ten minutes, and this is what I see when I get back?"

The couple turned to see Gladion walking toward them with a scowl on his face. He was carrying three cans of Pinap juice he must have bought from a vending machine down the hallway. Hau greeted him with a cheerful, Hey, Glads! which the older boy huffed at. Gladion handed one Pinap juice to Lillie, who thanked him and tossed another to Hau. The Champion caught it with a loud WHOOP!.

"The first match is almost finished," Gladion stated as he eyed Lillie with concern. "Are you sure you're up to this? You can back out if you want. No one will-"

"I will fight." Lillie's hands clenched around the can, and she looked up to meet her brother's gaze. "I will do it! Shiron and I…we will fight."

"Lillie…"

She rose from her seat and stood straight in front of her brother. "I know I'm scared, but I don't want you to do this alone, Big Brother. I want to protect Alola too! I want to protect our home, and I want to protect it with everybody else. So, I will fight. I will do my best, even if I lose!"

Gladion studied her. The fire in her eyes burned the same intensity when she found the resolve to walk the path of a Pokémon Trainer years ago. She is not getting any younger…and neither is he. He reached out and placed his hand on the top of her head. A rare, fond smile graced his features. "Lose or win. I will always be proud of you, Lillie."

Lillie smiled and nodded enthusiastically. "I will do my best!"

"Heh." Gladion could have let the moment linger a bit longer were it not for Hau grinning so wide that his face might split in half. He scowled at dark green-haired Champion. "Not a word, Hau. Not a word."

Hau had the audacity to play innocent. "What? I'm just enjoying the moment. It's not always that you smile, Glads. Well, almost never." He said matter-of-factly. "You should do it often."

"Oh, shut up."

Hau could have teased the blond more if it were not for the doors opening and Lusamine and Wicke stepping in the lobby. Wicke carefully set Shiron down, and the Alolan Vulpix jumped eagerly into Lillie's awaiting arms. "The match just ended, Young Miss," Wicke reported. "And Sophocles emerged victoriously. We were told that your match against Sun will start in ten minutes."

"Thank you, Miss Wicke."

"Lillie." Said teenager turned at Lusamine. The façade of the Aether President falls from her face, revealing motherly concern. "Lillie, will you be alright?" Lusamine asked. "Your enemy will be Sun, and he seemed to be someone who will not hold back."

"I'll be fine, Mother," Lillie assured her. "I'm not going to fight alone. I have Shiron. I have my Pokémon. We'll do our best! Isn't that right, Shiron?"

"Kyuu!"

For a moment, Lusamine saw a young Lillie – a little girl with a kind heart but fragile to pain. Their little girl lived a happy, sheltered life before losing their father and watching her mother descend into uncontrollable obsession. Even after all she did, her children still forgave her, let her in their lives for the second time. She regrets all the pain she caused and admires how stronger and more beautiful they grew compared to her. Since then, she vowed to become the mother they deserve, even if she is not one and has never been. If only Mohn could see them now….

Lusamine smiled softly. "You've really grown." She said as she placed a hand on her shoulder. "If your father could see you now, he would be very proud of you." She looked at Gladion, who returned her smile. "Both of you."

"Mother..." Lusamine almost stumbled backward when Lillie leaped in her arms. "Thank you!"

Lusamine returned the embrace and pulled away just as a staff member rushed inside to tell Lillie that her match was about to start. Lusamine gave both her children a kiss on the forehead before she and Wicke climbed back the luxury box. Hau squeezed Lillie's hand and kissed her on the cheek for good luck before running back to the spectators' area. The Aether siblings shared one last look before Lillie let herself be escorted toward the battlefield.


Sun was waiting for her.

The moment she stepped out into the battlefield, Lillie locked eyes with the red-eyed Trainer. From that look alone, she could tell that he knew what she was doing last night. He knew she was following him and purposely let her do what she wanted before letting Gladion know. She has a lot of unanswered questions for him – why he wants Nebby and why he told Gladion that she was in danger. Did he…did he care for her? She is a stranger. Why bother to help someone who is family to a person who wanted him arrested? In fact, what is she in danger for? He is such a mysterious Trainer with unknown motives, yet he seemed to know a lot more than anyone of them. Gladion paints him as an enemy, but his actions seem to both prove and contradict that assumption. Lillie wanted to know, wanted to decide for herself, but she could not do it at this moment.

"Miss Lillie." She flinched when he called her name that she almost broke eye contact. How did he know her name? As if reading her mind, he tilted his head to the screen where their names were displayed. "Or would you rather be called Miss Aether Princess? It seems your head is in the clouds. Do you think you can battle in that state?"

Is he…is he asking her if she is alright? Lillie struggled to maintain her gaze, but for some reason, the conversation she was now having with the other Trainer was confusing her thoughts. "I-I'm alright!" She squeaked, wincing at her voice coming out a note higher than usual. "I can fight!"

Sun studied her for a moment. A part of her wanted to hide from those scrutinizing eyes. Surprisingly, it was Sun who broke eye contact. He tipped his cap in a slight bow. "Take a deep breath, then. I want to battle you at your best."

Lillie was surprised by that and wanted to ask when Hala stepped into the battlefield. The old Kahuna smiled reassuringly at Lillie before turning to the crowd. "The second match for the quarterfinals will begin now! Contestants, bring out your first Pokémon!" 

Lillie pulled out a Pokéball from her pocket and called out her first Pokémon, Ribombee. Sun, in turn, chose Corviknight. Corviknight is a Steel and Flying-type Pokémon. She thought as she remembered yesterday's match. He knows what he is doing. He is not going to send out a Pokémon weak against Fairy-types like Dragapult.

"Contestants!" Hala raised his palm in the air and brought it down. "Let the match begin!"

Lillie looked at Sun, hoping to get hints on what he will do, but he seemed to have read her mind. Before she could blink, Corviknight's wings glowed in white, and he slashed against the Bee Fly Pokémon before returning to his Trainer. Ribombee wobbled in the air, his health bar down to a half.

"Don't wait for your opponent to make the first move," Sun called out as he brandished another Pokéball. "Otherwise, you will get overwhelmed before you know it. Come out, Dragapult."

The Stealth Pokémon took the battlefield in a flash of blue. Lillie felt confused, whether it was because Sun was giving her battle pointers or the Trainer sent out what she thought he would not send out against a Fairy-type. Sun seemed satisfied with her expression and gestured at his Pokémon. "Dragapult, Fire Blast."

"Ribombee, Light Screen!" A light-green force field went up in front of Ribombee and blocked the Fire Blast. Shiron cried in alarm as she hid behind Lillie to avoid the heatwave that came with the attack. Taking a page out of Sun's strategy, Lillie called out. "U-Turn!"

The Bee Fly Pokémon rushed toward Dragapult and slammed his head against him. He returned to Lillie in a flash of red before she called out her second Pokémon. "Go, Comfey!"

For a moment, Lillie saw a flash of appreciation in Sun's eyes before he sent out an order to his Pokémon. "Fire Blast, once again."

Lillie shouted just in time for Comfey to avoid the incoming Fire-type attack and do a counterattack. Rainbow light flared around the Posy Picker Pokémon's body and shot toward the Stealth Pokémon. Dragapult tried to weave away from the lights but was struck down by the super effective move in quick succession. The rest of his health bar emptied as he skidded to the ground.

"Dragapult is unable to battle! Comfey wins!"

Lillie breathed out a sigh of relief. At the corner of her eye, she saw Gladion watching by one of the doorways in the spectators' area. There was a small smile on his lips as he nodded his head in approval. That amped her confidence as she focused back on the battlefield just as Sun recalled his Pokémon. He did not seem bothered by it at all. He called out Corviknight once again; this time, however, he did not pull any punches. Once the 'go' signal was given, Sun directed Corviknight to use Brave Bird, and the Raven Pokémon flew upward in a burst of orange aura flaring in a shape of a bird. He dived down and struck Comfey, taking his total health in one attack. Lillie was astounded; it happened so fast that she did not even manage to tell Comfey to dodge.

"Don't wait for your opponent to make the first move," Sun told her, "Otherwise, you will get overwhelmed before you know it."

Lille now understands. Sun was not just giving her a tip – it was a warning. He knew he would let her guard down, even for a brief moment, and took complete advantage of it. The younger Aether sibling tucked Comfey back to his Pokéball and whispered a Thank you. She took a deep breath and called Ribombee back to the battlefield. She looked on Sun, who, strangely enough, seemed to be waiting for her.

"Make the first move," Lillie whispered to herself and called out to Ribombee. "Ribombee, Pollen Puff!"

A ball of pollen gathered in front of the Bee Fly Pokémon and shot toward Corviknight. The Raven Pokémon dodged and swooped toward his opponent. He grabbed him by his talons and slammed the poor Fairy and Bug-type Pokémon against the dusty ground.

"Body Press."

Corviknight pulled back to the air as his body flared in orange light and nosedived to his downed opponent. Lillie shielded her face with her arms as the impact sent a wave of dust over the battlefield. When the field cleared, Hala announced Corviknight's victory, and the crowd roared.

Lillie recalled Ribombee back to his Pokéball and pursed her trembling lips. She did not mean to look up, but when she did, she met Sun's eyes, and a chill went up to her spine. It finally dawned on Lillie why Plumeria was agitated and terrified at the same time after yesterday's match - why the former Team Skull admin went out of her way to speak with her earlier.

"That kid, Sun, is no ordinary Trainer," Plumeria warned her, "He isn't like your brother or the Champion. Don't make an enemy out of him, kiddo. Just don't."

Shiron noticed her reluctance and nudged her leg to assure her. Lillie turned to the Alolan Vulpix, who cooed. Her light-blue eyes were brimming with determination, and for a moment, Lillie remembered when she received an egg from Moon a few months after the black-haired Trainer became the First Champion. She expressed the desire to start a journey of her own – to become a Pokémon Trainer – and when her twelfth birthday rolled around, Moon gifted her an egg she got from Paniola Ranch. The then Champion told her it would be a good warmup for her to raise the egg until it hatched, and when it did, that was the day she met her first Pokémon as a Trainer. She remembered calling out her Ride Pokémon toward Moon's house at six in the morning with the Alolan Vulpix in her arms. Moon was happy for her, and Lillie spent breakfast in the Champion's home, coming up with what to name the Alolan Vulpix. In the end, they agreed to the name Shiron.

Looking back to that memory and the years Lillie spent with Shiron by her side, she knew she could not have done it all by herself. Her brother protected her, Moon inspired her, and Hau supported her. She could see a part of Moon in Shiron – the stubborn, determined side of the previous Champion – and at the same time, saw her reflection in those eyes. She was no longer the same Lillie that hid behind her friends; she could stand on her own feet, and being on the League Championship proves it.

Holding on to that resolution, Lillie nodded to Shiron. "That's right. I will protect everyone, just like Moon did. So, please. Lend me your strength, Shiron!"

Shiron nodded and leaped to her position on the battlefield. The crowd cheered, and Lillie could hear her friends the loudest among them. “Contestant Lillie chose Shiron the Vulpix as her final Pokémon!” The announcer declared. "This will now be the deciding part of this match. Will they be able to turn the tides in their favor, or will Sun claim victory and advance to the semifinals?"

"We're not going to give up! Let's go, Shiron!"

"Kyuu!"

"Hail!" Shiron let out a gust from her body, sending a blast of frigid air into the battlefield. Dark, heavy clouds formed above, and large clumps of ice began falling. Corviknight let out a screech as the hail buffeted the Raven Pokémon, slowly dragging down his health bar that was reduced from the recoil damage earlier. Sun ordered him to fly, but Lillie called out to Shiron.

"We're not going to let you! Shiron, Powder Snow!" Shiron unleashed a powerful blast of cold air, freezing a part of Corviknight's wings. Her opponent stumbled to the ground, unable to flap his wings properly.

Shiron used Powder Snow again, but Corviknight raised Iron Defense to block most of the attack. Lillie tried again, but this time, Sun switched out Corviknight before Shiron could land an attack. The red-eyed Trainer called out a different Pokémon – a blue, pink, and white Pokémon with a humanoid figure. Her gradient, layered hair wrapped around her body like a cloak, and a pointed hat that resembled a witch's hat sat atop her head.

"Look at that! Sun called out another Pokémon to the field!" The announcer said. "From what I found out, that Pokémon is known as Hatterene. Its dual typing is Psychic and Fairy and is native to the Galar region. Is it just me, or am I seeing a pattern in Sun's team?"

Sun regarded Lillie with a look of respect. "I admire your tenacity, Miss Lillie, but this is where the battle ends." He snapped his fingers. "Trick Room."

Hatterene's eyes glowed, and the battlefield began to distort. The stadium and the spectators disappeared and were replaced with walls pulsing like a kaleidoscope, leaving only the four of them in a small, empty room. What to do? Should they use a Z-move? Before Lillie could react, Hatterene teleported before Shiron and flung the Alolan Vulpix using her hand-like extension. Shiron hit the wall of the Trick Room and fell sprawled on the ground. Lillie shouted for Shiron to use Aurora Veil, but Hatterene moved faster than the Alolan Vulpix. Hatterene's eyes glowed blue, and Shiron was lifted off the ground. Lillie tried calling out to Shiron, but the Alolan Vulpix was rendered immobile.

"Mystical Fire."

At her Trainer's command, the Silent Pokémon hurled her opponent and waved her hand-like extension in hypnotic circles. Rings of fire swirled toward Shiron and hit her point-blank mid-air. There was a shriek as fire and smoke exploded, and the Trick Room disappeared. When everything cleared out, Shiron was lying unconscious on the ground.

Hala walked up to the battlefield and raised a palm. "Shiron is unable to battle, and Lillie has no Pokémon left for battle!" He gestured to Sun. "Sun wins this match!"

The crowd's roar was deafening but running to Shiron was all Lillie could think of. Blood pounded in her ears as she knelt on the dusty ground and cradled the Alolan Vulpix. Shiron shifted – pain clear in her eyes – and gave a weak Kyu. Lillie blinked the tears on the corners of her eyes and smiled. "You did great, Shiron. Thank you."

Shiron nuzzled against her and closed her eyes to rest. Lillie pulled her in an embrace, unable to hide the tremble in her shoulders. She knew that she would lose and accepted that fact, but it still hurt. She lost before so many times, but it never pained her. Why now? Maybe because there is something at stake right now. Perhaps because she wanted to win for her, she could ask what went wrong, but the answer terrifies her.

"That was a good match."

Lillie looked up to see Sun standing beside her. She did not hear him approach nor expected him to stay longer on the field. After his match with Plumeria yesterday, he did not do that, which ticked Olivia, who refereed the match. She wondered if he did now just to mock her, but his expression remained passive. He held out a hand and felt the air get sucked out of her lungs. She stared at his gloved hand as he waited patiently. In the end, she accepted reluctantly, and he helped her up on her feet. She kept her head down to avoid his gaze.

"You fought well. You and your partners." He said. "You make a great Trainer."

"Oh…" Lillie looked up and felt herself blush. Then, she realized that he was still holding her hand. She promptly let go and almost missed the amused glint in his red eyes.

"I hope we'll get to battle again soon." He stepped back and bowed down before turning away. Lillie wanted to call out to him, but she faltered at the last second. She watched his back retreat, leaving more questions than answers in his wake like the night before.

Chapter 15: To Offer and Tempt

Notes:

For those who are wondering, I don't have a beta reader for any of my stories. That's why it takes some time for me to publish a chapter.

Chapter Text

Hau is not the jealous type, yet her girlfriend’s match against Sun left quite an impression on him. He was focused on cheering for Lillie but not too focused to miss how that Sun guy acted around her. He asked her if she could fight before the battle, gave her a few battle tips, and even showed sportsmanship after the match that he did not do during his match with Plumeria.

Soft.

That is right. That is how Hau would describe Sun around Lillie. Though he did not hold back in the battle, he was definitely considerate of her like a brother would to his little sister. Is that how it is or…?

The memory of Lillie blushing when Sun held her hand came rushing back to him. The guy must have seen his face when he was staring at them. Hau swore he saw Sun smirked when he turned away from Lillie. Oh, Tapu Koko, no! Do not tell him he is flirting with her?

Hau’s reaction was instantaneous. He hit his knee against the underside of the coffee table and almost spilled his cup of Tapu Cocoa from the Pokémon Center Café. The pile of investigative reports from Molayne might have escaped the hot chocolate, but it did not dodge his flailing arm. It got knocked off and scattered into individual documents across the table and the floor. Hau held back the scream at the back of his throat and simply slammed his head against the tabletop.

The door opened, and Gladion stepped inside his office, only to pause at the seemingly lifeless body of the Champion. He stared for a moment before deciding not to get involved with the ‘murder’. He brushed past him, picked a few of the scattered papers, and settled down on his desk. The quarterfinals ended hours ago, but he could not take a break yet. He still has work to do – from reviewing the Aether employees’ daily reports, scheduling meetings with their advocacy partners, and, most importantly, investigating Sun.

He had asked Molayne last night to give him all he has found so far about Sun. Most of them were records of his movement across the region – at least, what was witnessed by credible sources. There is still the matter about the unusual flight months ago that the Steel-type Elite Four member informed them about and some information submitted officially by the police. He has yet to ask Lillie about what she saw last night but does not want to distress her further. She needs a bit more time, but Gladion wonders if they have that luxury….

Hau shifted, his head turning toward the direction of the blond, and called out in a whining voice. “Gladioooonnn…”

“Oh, wow.” Gladion’s voice drawled sarcastically over his cup of Komala Coffee that Wicke brought him earlier. “Who stole your malasada? And here you said I am the grump of the group.”

“Uggghhh!” Hau threw himself across the sofa. His arms draped across the arm of the sofa nearest to Gladion’s desk. “This is serious!”

Gladion gave himself a second to prepare for the incoming migraine. “What did you do this time, Hau?”

“I didn’t!” Hau looked offended. “It was Sun! Sun did something!’”

That seemed to get a reaction from the older Aether sibling, as the Champion expected. Gladion promptly placed down the papers on the desk and frowned. “What?”

“Didn’t you see? When their match ended, Sun helped Lillie.” There was an accusatory tone in Hau’s voice. “I think he’s flirting with her!”

Gladion almost spewed out his coffee. He placed the cup down and looked at Hau like he had grown two more heads. “Did you hit your head? What in the Tapus’ name made you think that?”

“Hey!” Hau rose from his sprawled position. “My head’s fine, but I’m sure of what I saw. Sun was holding Lillie’s hand!”

“He was helping her. You said it yourself!”

“But he didn’t do the same with Plumeria!” Hau reasoned out. “I’m sure he saw me looking at them and smirked. Like a really annoying smirk. He’s into Lillie!”

“Hau, that does not make any sen-“

“You said that Sun texted you last night to find Lillie,” Hau interjected. “How did he know where to find her? Wait…is he a stalker?”

Gladion ran his hands across his face and made a sound of both disappointment and frustration. He was tempted to call Silvally, run off to somewhere remote, and never come back. He wondered how in the world did Hau manage to keep the Champion title for five years now with him being like…this. He took a deep breath and turned to look Hau in the eye. “Hau…I told you. It was Lillie who was following Sun, not the other way around. You are just being jealous of some idea that wasn’t there.”

“Yeah? Then, why are you defending him now?”

“What?”

Gladion swore that one of these days, he was really going to borrow Lunala from Lillie and throw Hau into Ultra Space. Consequences be damned. He was already regretting meeting Hau years ago. Scratch that. He has always regretted meeting him.

“I am not defending him, Hau! I’m just stating the facts. Lillie never met him personally until today, and I don’t think Sun is interested in Lillie the way you think he does. There is just no way that’s what’s happening.”

Otherwise, he will punch that guy in the face.

“But Glads-!”

Gladion raised his palm to cut him off. “No. I’m not hearing it from you, Hau.” He swiveled his chair away from the Champion and leaned against the backrest. He heard, rather than saw Hau slumped dejectedly back to the sofa and huffed in annoyance. It was a ridiculous idea, really. Sun liking Lillie? He is already getting punished with his sister dating Hau, but Sun? No, thank you! He would rather try tolerating Hau than that guy.

The tense peace lasted for only a few minutes when his phone rang. Gladion picked it up, and a hushed voice spoke from the other side. “Ummm…Gladion? Hau’s with you, right?”

“Acerola?” It is rare for him to get a call from the Ghost-type Trial Captain and Elite Four member. Most of the time, it would be Olivia asking about the rehabilitation progress of Pokémon admitted from Akala. Hearing the usually sunny Acerola speaking in a nervous voice (which is saying a lot from a Trainer specializing in Ghost-types), he felt a sense of foreboding…and not the good type. “What’s the matter? Did something happen?”

“Er… it’s not really an emergency.There was a pause, and Gladion waited for her to continue. “I just…kinda, you know, saw Lillie with that guy Sun.”

Hau almost jumped three feet in the air when Gladion abruptly stood up from his seat. “WHAT?”

The Champion threw the older Aether sibling a questioning look, but Gladion ignored him. Acerola seemed hesitant to continue. “I…I saw them eating in a restaurant here in Malie City. You know…just the two of them. They seemed cozy.” That struck a nerve in Gladion. “Could you please send Hau -

“Forget Hau!” Gladion snatched his Pokéballs and stomped toward the door. “I’m going to punch that guy! Where is the place?”

“It’s-“

The door swung open before Gladion could reach for the doorknob. Wicke rushed inside with eyes wide in panic. “Young Master! We got a problem!”


At this point, Lillie does not know which is worse - losing a tournament battle to Sun or dining with the said Trainer in one of the best restaurants in Alola. She did not expect to run into him that soon. She was just supposed to run an errand in the Aether House for Professor Burnet before going back to Manalo to eat dinner with her friends. However, fate seemed to have other ideas when she bumped into Sun on her way out of the Aether House. She has yet to process why Sun was there of all places when he smiled (at least, that was what Lillie thought it was) and invited her out for dinner. She did not have the chance to properly answer when he took her hand and led her to the Sushi High Roller in Malie City on the back of his Corviknight.

Now, she was seated across him on a two-person table located at the best spot in the restaurant. Lillie just finished apologizing to her friends via a group message that there has been a change of plans and that she cannot come. She could not tell them exactly what is it, but it was sudden, which is true. Sun just finished placing their order by the counter and settled down on his seat. He did not tell her what he ordered but promised that it would be special. The red-eyed Trainer studied her with the same impassive expression, though something seemed off about it. But even so, Lillie could not help but fidget under his gaze. The people around do not seem to notice - all engrossed in their conversations.

“Ummm…thank you for inviting me.”

“I should be the one thanking you, Miss Lillie,” Sun said as he leaned casually on the table with his elbows. “You already had a prior engagement, yet you put it aside to entertain my little request. I apologize if it was sudden.”

“Well…I…” Lillie twined her fingers together. “It’s fine…as long as you will answer my questions.”

“Hm…” There was a twinkle in those red eyes that Lillie did not miss. “Alright. I will try my best, as long as it is not related to the deal between your brother and me.”

“T-That’s fine by me.” It is better than nothing. Lillie thought. For some reason, Sun is accommodating, unlike what she expected of him. She wondered if he was being considerate because she lost to him or because he found her amusing. Either way, she hoped she would get a few answers.

Lillie looked down at her clasped hands, debating what to ask first. She could feel Sun’s eyes on her, waiting for her to do her worst. “Ummm…what…what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in Manalo?”

Sun raised an eyebrow. “I didn’t know you prefer small talk first, Miss Lillie.” Lillie opened her mouth to say sorry, but he simply waved it off. “No need to apologize. I am just used to people being straightforward with what they want from me.” He leaned against the backrest of the chair. “To answer your question, I am here for an errand. It’s nothing much, really. I am just here to speak to a friend.”

A friend? Lillie thought. Did not Mister Nanu say that Sun did not have any records here in Alola? How did he know someone here? Did that person help him get in Alola undetected? She remembered her brother telling them that Sun was working for someone. What if that person is his boss?  She wondered if she could ask that. Maybe she could not be direct about it… “Is that person…the one who sent you here in Alola?”

“No.” When Lillie deflated at his answer, Sun continued. “My friend and my boss are two different persons. Though, referring to that person as my superior is wrong. How should I say it?” He tapped his chin thoughtfully. “Ah, yes. You could say that that person is my benefactor. They are simply looking out for me, that’s all.”

Before Lillie stopped herself, she blurted out. “Why?”

Sun made a clicking noise with his tongue. “Too close, Miss Lillie, too close. That would be a question for Mr. Future Aether President to find out. That is…if he wins against me.”

“Ah… I’m sorry.”

Sun simply brushed it off as the waiter approached their table with their food. Plates and bowls of different dishes were laid out in front of them. The largest of them is the one in the middle – a rectangular, wooden plate filled with various types of sushi. Surprisingly, many of them are not familiar to Lillie, considering that she has dined in this restaurant many times already. The ceramic bowls were also different in the sense that it is not the restaurant’s usual signature design. The number of dips was three more than the usual, even for the Z-Kaiseki: Ronin Set.

“Seems they went all out,” Sun remarked and thanked the waiter who bowed before leaving them to their meal. He picked up his chopsticks and gestured to the food. “Ladies first.”

Lillie gingerly picked up her chopsticks and surveyed the spread. There were many to choose from that she did not know what to pick. She decided to try out one shaped like a rectangular box with a topping cut diagonally. A soft Oh! escaped her lips as the savory flavor of the cut fish and the sourness of the vinegared rice mingled with her taste buds.

Sun seemed pleased with her reaction. “That one is an oshizushi, also known as hakozushi. It’s from the Johto region. And this,” He picked up a pale rectangular sushi with fish and a few herbs on the top. “Is a sakezushi and a specialty in Hoenn. It has a rather strong and mixed flavor, but you should try it.”

“I didn’t know they serve sushi from regions other than Kanto.”

“They don’t,” Sun said, dipping his next pick in a spicy sauce. “Unless if you have an ‘in’ with the manager. He called it Z-Kaiseki: Shogun Set to honor the First Alolan Champion.” He smiled winningly that it made the butterflies in Lillie’s stomach flutter. “You are one of the lucky few to be served with this set.”

“O-Oh…thank you.” She looked down on her plate, mulling over her thoughts. “Can I…can I ask a question?”

“You already are.”

Lillie felt flustered but decided it was now or never. “Why did you save me?”

Sun tilted his head in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Y-You know, last night! You knew that I was following you, but you just let it be.” Lillie explained. “When I lost you that night, my older brother found me. He told me that you sent him a message that I was in trouble and expected him to come to my rescue. Why? I mean…my brother considers you as his enemy. Even my friends do. We didn’t meet until today. Why did you do that?”

Why? I wonder why.” Sun placed his chopsticks down. “Let me first clarify one thing, Miss Lillie. My motives may not agree with you, but it doesn’t mean I am a cruel person. I don’t care if you try to stop me because, in the end, I must carry out what I came for in this region. As long as you don’t get in my way, no one has to get hurt.”

“As for saving you, I have my reasons. If I didn’t message Mr. Future Aether President, you would be dead by now, or even worse….” He did not continue that sentence, letting Lillie figure it out herself. “Now then, it’s my turn to ask, Miss Lillie.” He leaned on his elbows, and Lillie felt a chill run down her spine as she looked at those red eyes. “Tell me what you saw last night.”

Lillie dropped her chopsticks with a loud clatter that was drowned by the lively chatter around them. She wanted to run, but her body was frozen in place. The accommodating atmosphere that Sun initially set was replaced with something suffocating. “W-What I saw last night….” A part of her knew that if she did not answer truthfully to his question, he would not hesitate to get it in ways worse than this. “When I…I tried finding you, I heard voices. I followed them to an empty shop. There were… people talking, I think.”

Sun narrowed his eyes. “You think?”

“I-I didn’t see them at first!” Lillie answered hastily. “I just saw their shadows. There are five of them.”

“Hm…go on. I am listening.”

“I hid and tried to listen. A woman’s voice was talking about some kind of plan. I didn’t know what it was about, but I don’t think it’s anything good.” Lillie bunched the fabric of her skirt with her hands. “The voice was familiar, and I tried looking to check who it was. Then, I saw her…I saw M-! “

Lillie’s eyes widened in bewilderment when Sun suddenly lunged at her and covered her mouth. His face was just inches away from her. “Do not finish that word! Do not say her name!” He hissed. “Not here. Not to these people. Do you understand?”

Lillie trembled before him with eyes wild with panic and fear but managed to nod as much as she could. Sun withdrew away from her and settled back on his seat. The following minutes were tense and quiet. Between the two of them, Lillie could no longer find the heart to enjoy the food anymore. She was still reeling from the sudden confrontation. She could feel Sun’s fiery red eyes boring down on her as he ate in heavy silence. She tried to pick up her dropped chopsticks, but her hands were limp on her lap.

“Let’s make a deal, Miss Lillie.” She visibly jolted when Sun spoke, but the young man ignored it. “You will keep everything and everyone you saw last night under lock-and-key and cooperate with me from now on. In exchange, I will give you information.”

Lillie did not know how she managed to utter any word at all. “I-Information?” Sun lifted his left arm and pulled the sleeve of his jacket. Shock danced on Lillie’s face when she recognized the Z-Power Ring wrapped around his wrist. “You…you have it….” Her shock slowly morphed to rage she did not know she had. She rose from her seat, almost knocking the chair backward. “You stole it! How could you?”

“What of it?” Lillie looked at him like she was punched in the gut, and he stared at her with an apathetic expression. “Your dearest Champion left years ago. What good is a Z-Power Ring if it isn’t used?”

“That’s Moon’s-! “

“Your Moon is not here.” Lillie felt her throat closed up. There was a deafening ringing in her ears. “Stop depending on someone that is not here for you. Is it that difficult to face that reality?”

She opened her mouth to say something, anything, but no words came out. A part of her felt betrayed, hurt that he was right. Moon is not here. Moon has left Alola for five years now. The previous Champion never once called nor sent a message to any of them. She never looked back…as if they were just memories of the past that she never wanted to remember. Sun was right, but she could not accept the truth that he just slapped at her face.

“Listen well, Miss Lillie. You will not tell anyone of what and who you saw last night. Not even to your friends, your family, or anyone in this region. You saw nothing, heard nothing, remembered nothing. If you know what’s good for you and everyone else, you will do as you’re told. Am I understood?”

Lillie did not answer. Sun shook his head in mild disappointment. From the inside of his jacket, he produced a brown, expanding envelope and held it in front of him. “One year after Miss Moon left Alola, where she went, who the people she interacted with. I got every information about what the First Alolan Champion did in the past five years.” That got a reaction out of her as he expected. He offered the envelope to her. “Accept this deal, and I will provide all the missing puzzle pieces. Perhaps, I might even indulge you where her current whereabout is.”

Lillie stared at the envelope, still in disbelief and shock at what he said. It was an enticing offer - if she accepts, she will not just know what Moon was up to in the past five years, but she might also find why she left. If Sun would also tell her where Moon is now, she can see her and try to talk her into returning to Alola, no matter the reason for her leaving the region in the first place. It was really a tempting offer…but what would her brother think of it? What would Hau feel about it? Will they agree with her if she accepts?

As if reading her mind, Sun spoke up. “This is between you and me, Miss Lillie. Whether you accept or not, it will have nothing to do with Mr. Future Aether President. It will not hurt him.”

Right. Lillie pursed her lips. This is her decision. Steeling herself for whatever comes next, she took the envelope with trembling fingers. For a moment, she has mistaken the look in his eyes as regret, but it was just a mistake, right? The hostility in those red eyes was replaced with pity. That is right. It was pity. It was gone in a second when Sun turned away and flagged the waiter. She sat back down and cradled the envelope against her chest like a lifeline. The waiter cleared their table and went off to have their leftovers wrapped for takeout. 

“Why...?” Lillie murmured. Her voice was a whisper loud enough for only Sun to hear. “Why do you want to hide her? She wouldn’t...do anything bad, won’t she? I trust her. Me, my brother, and everyone else...”

“I will give you advice, Miss Lillie.” He told her after the waiter returned with their food packaged in take-home bento boxes. “Trust nobody. At this point, people live with their mirror images. You will never know which person is that belongs in this world before it is too late.”

He pushed half of the bento boxes in her direction and smiled coolly. The accommodating atmosphere returned in a blink of an eye. “I enjoyed tonight’s dinner.” He stood up. “I hope you will accept my invitation next time. Good night…or at least, that’s what I wanted to say.”

Lillie threw him a confused look when she felt the hairs on the back of her neck rose. There was a rumbling sound, and the ground shook. Terrified screams broke outside, and before she realized it, her body was up and running right behind Sun. They rushed out, and Lillie nearly collapsed on her feet as she followed Sun’s gaze upward. Churning above the skies of Route 11 and Malie City was a purple Ultra Wormhole.

Chapter 16: To The Setting Sun (Part 1)

Chapter Text

Professor Burnet has seen a few Ultra Wormholes crack open in the sky before her own eyes, but those are nothing compared to what she is seeing right now. The gigantic Ultra Wormhole churned above Malie City and Route 11 like an eye of a formidable storm. White and purple lightning crackled around the maelstrom, and thunder rumbled like a growl of a beast. Saying it was unnatural was an understatement. She has seen only a handful of photographs of similar Ultra Wormholes collected from onlookers at the time of their appearances, but seeing one up close sent a chill down her spine. It is not the exciting kind of chill either - it was one that strikes fear in her heart.

“Whoa! That’s a big Ultra Wormhole.” Hau remarked as he looked from the window of the Aether helicopter. “It’s even bigger than the one that opened up over Memorial Hill a month ago.”

Hau was right. It was bigger than the past Ultra Wormholes they have recorded since Akala’s festival a month ago. The Heahea City Dimensional Research Lab and the Aether Foundation documented three similar Ultra Wormholes within the past four weeks. Two of them unleashed Ultra Beasts in the islands of Akala and Ula’ula, while the other one lasted only for a minute before imploding by itself due to unknown reasons. Not one Ultra Beast was captured due to the wormholes sucking them back in immediately after fainting. The ones that appeared in Ula’ula back then were defeated before the designated team could arrive. Some of the witnesses claimed that they saw a boy and an Electric-type Pokémon fighting against the otherworldly creatures, but they have yet to establish the boy’s identity.

The Aether helicopter landed down on an open area in Route 11 where some of the Aether employees assigned to the island were herding civilians out from the immediate area. Professor Burnet leaped off the flying vehicle with much grace she could muster and stepped away to get a better view of the opening of the wormhole. Hau and Gladion jogged after her; the latter already called out Silvally to prepare for battle.

“Any sign of an Ultra Beast?” Hau asked.

“We are still carrying out a scan of the area,” Wicke answered as she joined them. She swiped a finger on her Aether-designated tablet; the light reflected off her glasses. “But we already received reports of some appearances within Route 11. It seemed that we have some UB-02 Absorption running around.”

“Buzzwole…” Gladion grumbled. “Just great. I hate those guys.”

“You hate everything, Glads.”

Gladion ignored Hau. “Where’s the Kahuna?”

“Kahuna Nanu and his Trial Captains are currently evacuating people toward Po Town.” Wicke reported. “Acerola said that she will be joining us sho-“ Her tablet beeped, and alarm wrinkled her features. “Young Master, the scan just completed! We managed to locate five Buzzwoles on the island.”

“Where are they now?”

“That’s…” Wicke frowned in confusion. Her finger tapping repeatedly on the screen. “According to the scan, they are focused in only one area. It’s-! “

The Aether branch chief’s words were cut short when something fell from the sky and slammed right at the middle of the group. The heavy impact sent them flying and skidding on the ground as the spot they were on split-second ago exploded into a rain of dust and pebbles that pelted down on them. It barely muffled the screams around them and the buzzing sound from the center of the impact zone.

Gladion scrambled to his feet as he coughed. The white of his Aether uniform dusted in pale brown as his eyes immediately searched the area. Hau was sprawled on the ground - a little disoriented but unharmed. Professor Burnet was already up, helping a rattled Wicke get to the safety of the trees. The remaining civilians ran for their lives as the Aether employees and their Pokémon commandeered them out of the area and formed a barrier between them and the assailant.

“S-Silvally!” Gladion rasped, and a loud trill answered him somewhere his right. Relief washed over him upon hearing the Synthetic Pokémon’s cry. He hauled himself toward the Alolan Champion, ignoring the pebbles battering his head and shoulders. He knelt next to Hau, who flashed him a woozy grin.

“Hey, Glads! You’re still alive.”

Unfortunately.” Gladion slung one arm around his shoulders and helped the green-haired Trainer to his feet. “Can you stand by yourself?”

“A bit dizzy,” Hau mumbled as he staggered when he pulled away from Gladion. The older Aether sibling caught the Champion’s arm before he could plant his face-first on the ground. “Did I get a concussion?”

“If you can consider that, I doubt it,” Gladion answered, watching their surroundings warily as he supported him. “Professor Burnet and Wicke are safe for now. We need to regroup –“

The ground shook momentarily, almost throwing them off their feet again. A fresh wave of dust swept over them and blinded them of their immediate surroundings. There was a blaze of vermillion at their left and muffled shouts carried by air, but the two did not know whether that was a good thing or not. Gladion called for Silvally’s name again, but the chimera Pokémon did not answer his call this time. He swore under his breath and steered Hau toward the direction of lush tree canopies visible above the dust storm. They just took one step when a buzzing sound reached their ears. Their feet froze in place as a humongous silhouette scuttled in front of them.

Buzzwole, from Gladion’s memory of his last encounter years ago, are generally huge, around twice his height or more. They are usually red, from the tip of their antennas to the point of their legs. However, the one before them was more grotesque than Gladion remembered. The portions in-between its red sac-like muscles were purple with polished black spikes peeking like some gothic armor. Its wings were translucent lavender with darker veins running through them. Its head twitched as it turned its blackened compound eyes on them.

An ear-piercing buzzing cry escaped from the Ultra Beast, and the two barely dodged its fist in a split second. Hau fumbled for one of his Pokéballs, but the sound that the Buzzwole was emitting was making his head spin in circles. Gladion nearly clawed his ears in an attempt to silence the sound, but it was useless. They were crouched on the ground, incapacitated as the Buzzwole reared for another attack. It raised its fist when a gleam of silver slammed against it. The Buzzwole was sent flying toward a tree, breaking the trunk with a loud CRACK!.

With the screeching cry smothered momentarily, Gladion blinked blearily before him, barely recognizing the creature in front of him. A set of heavy footsteps ran to his side, and strong arms hauled him up to his feet. “Kid! Ya’ okay?”

Gladion turned his head to the voice and recognized the messy flop of white hair and too-big, gold-rimmed sunglasses. “Guzma…?”

“Get yer head on the battle, kid!” The former Team Skull leader gripped his shoulders tight. “Now’s not the time to nap!”

Gladion groaned as he placed his hand on his forehead. There was a throbbing pain in his head, and he swayed on his feet when he tried standing on his own. Talk about a reversal of misfortune. He thought bitterly. Plumeria walked toward them while supporting a dazed Hau. He looked worse than before, and it seemed like he would faint any second now.

“We’ve taken down two of those Ultra Beasts.” Plumeria told him. “One of the Elite Four has just arrived and is currently dealing with another one. Your Pokémon got caught up in it.”

At least, Silvally is still up. Gladion thought. “The other two…? There are five of them.”

“No idea. Haven’t seen ’em.” Guzma answered. He slung Gladion’s arm over his shoulders. “Come on, kiddo. Let’s get ya’ both out of ‘ere. You’re in no shape to fight.”

Gladion wanted to protest, but he knew Guzma was right. He felt nauseous just by being supported upright. He wanted to throw up, but he forced it down and closed his eyes tight. Neither he nor Hau is in any condition to move on their own, much less to fight. Whatever Buzzwole did, it was something new that an ordinary Buzzwole does not typically exhibit.

Guzma’s Golisopod took position beside the two men, using both his height and tough armor plating to protect them from falling debris. Plumeria and Hau stuck close behind them; the former’s Salazzle at the rear, alert for an ambush. The shouts were rising in volume around them, and Gladion could make out the vague silhouette of the Aether helicopter in front of them, and some figures gathered around it.

“Young Master!” Wicke rushed toward them with all professionalism set aside. Behind her, the helicopter’s rotor blades rotate slowly, dispelling the dust in the immediate area. She gripped the older Aether sibling’s arm with both surprising firmness and gentleness. “Are you hurt anywhere? What happened?”

“They’re fine,” Plumeria answered in their stead. “but not good enough to fight. It would be best if you got them away from here immediately. We’ll hold down the fort as long as we can.”

Guzma hauled Gladion inside the helicopter while Wicke sidled next to Hau and helped Plumeria settle the Champion beside the blond. They just had secured the two men’s seatbelts and helmets just as Burnet bustled toward them. She came out unscathed from the initial attack, save for a few scrapes on her arms. The professor waved her hands and shouted over the sounds of a nearby battle. “Acerola is buying us time!” She heaved herself inside the helicopter and climbed to the front seat beside the waiting pilot. “We need to leave now!”

Wicke slid next to Hau and fastened her seatbelt. She turned to the former Team Skull leader and his admin. “I already contacted the President to send in reinforcements. They are on their way. Please be careful.”

“Don’t worry.” Plumeria said as the helicopter blades picked up speed and plastered her hair against the side of her face. “We don’t plan to get our asses handed to us by some Ultra Beast. Make sure those two get better, yeah?”

Wicke nodded and closed the rear door. Plumeria and Guzma stepped back and watched the helicopter take off from the ground, away from the island and to the central part of the region where Aether Paradise is located. Behind them, the battle raged on as cries of Pokémon and their attacks clashed in a brilliant display of power against the dust storm.

“Say, Plums,” The ex-Team Skull leader said, rotating his neck and cracking his knuckles before smirking in a way that Plumeria knows well. “What do ya’ say we teach some bad boys a good ol’ lesson?”

Chapter 17: To The Setting Sun (Part 2)

Chapter Text

Sun watched as the Aether helicopter soared above them and veered away from the island. He half-expected that at some point, they would have to retreat. They had underestimated their opponents just because they fought against them before and learned only a bit late that these are not the same Ultra Beasts they have encountered. Better late than never. He thought as he jumped back in time as the Buzzwole’s fist connected to the ground he was standing before. The Swollen Pokémon let out a shrill cry, but Sun remained unimpressed from where he stood. He could have let the Ultra Beast do its dramatics, but a pained squeak caught his attention.

“Corviknight, Brave Bird.”

The Raven Pokémon screeched from above him and flared in orange light. He swooped down at the Buzzwole like a burning meteor and slammed against it. The Buzzwole rammed against a couple of trees before skidding to the ground and dragging a large mound of dirt with it. It tried to rise, but Corviknight forced it down with a powerful Body Press. The Ultra Beast lay face-first on the ground, its body sizing up like it was having an attack before lying still unconscious.

That is another one down. Sun walked and knelt next to the body. His fingers reached out and touched the black, crystalline spikes sprouting from its shoulder. He made a clicking sound with his tongue and stood up just as his unlikely companion stumbled behind him.

Lillie looked worse for the wear, having pelted with dust and pebbles and inflicted by the disorienting cry of the Ultra Beast. The shoulders of her white dress were now dusted with flecks of grime and dirt. She eyed the Ultra Beast timidly, keeping a reasonable distance from the creature. “Is it…?”

“Dead?” Sun supplied, humoring her for amusement’s sake. “Believe it or not, Miss Lillie, I have my morals. I don’t kill and never did.”

Lillie gaped at him. A rosy color bloomed on her cheeks. She wanted to defend herself that she did not think of that, but ended willing her mouth to stay shut. She shuffled on her feet, now taking an interest in the sprinkle of dust on her shoes and how the world seemed to swirl before her eyes. Before she could blink, Sun was already in front of her and supported her weight when she tipped forward.

“You might be a bit far, but that Buzzwole still affected you.” Sun remarked as he helped her shift her center of gravity and weight against him. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and steered her to the nearest tree some ways away from the ongoing battle.

“You aren’t…affected?” Lillie asked, wincing briefly at a headache. She let him usher her down to sit beneath the shade and kneel to inspect her pale face. His Corviknight landed down and hopped behind his Trainer with a questioning croon.

Sun considered the question. “No. I am not.” He answered after a heartbeat. “I am being protected.”

Protected by what or whom? Lillie wanted to ask, but one glance at Sun’s red eyes was more than enough to tell her that he would not entertain that question. Sun unzipped and took off his jacket. Her eyes strayed briefly to the crystalline pendant dangling around his neck before falling on the coat he had placed on her lap.

“Stay here,” Sun said, no, ordered her. “There is still one Buzzwole running around. I will take care of it. Corviknight will stay behind to look after you.” He turned to his heel, and Lillie looked up and opened her mouth to say something, but he beat her to it. “I’ll be back for you. Don’t worry.” Then, he was gone.


Acerola stood behind her Drifblim as the Ultra Beast in front of them finally succumbed to defeat. It was a grueling battle, and that was coming from an Elite Four member. She has fought Ultra Beasts before, but only as many as she can count with one hand. Dealing with these otherworldly creatures is often left in the hands of the Aether Foundation. The Trial Captains and Kahunas usually just go as far as evacuating the civilians and holding the fort while waiting for reinforcements.

She let out a sigh of relief, patting one of Drifblim’s ribbon-like arms to know it was over. Just across them, Silvally gave out a short trill as it nudged the fainted Ultra Beast with its muzzle. After making sure that its opponent was really out for the count, it trotted toward Acerola. She reached out and stroked its crest.

“Remind me to thank Gladion later.”

Silvally answered her with a small chirrup, earning a giggle from the Ghost-type Trial Captain. She accidentally teamed up with the artificial Pokémon when she arrived as backup. It probably got separated from its Trainer when the Buzzwole came hurtling from the sky. Not that she was not thankful for Silvally’s assistance, but she will have to remember to treat it with food once she made sure it returned safely to Gladion.

She dusted her dress and scanned the area. The dust was finally settling down now that most of the Ultra Beasts were taken down. She could make out the trunks of the trees and the nearby signpost that she could not see behind the dust storm moments ago. The ground was punctured with impact holes, and the surrounding greenery was covered with dust and dirt. She expected to see more damages in the area by daylight tomorrow. Route 11 was relatively empty, except for a few Aether employees and the former Team Skull leader and his admin now jogging toward her.

“Ya’ okay, girl?”

“Yup!” Acerola nodded at Guzma. “Drifblim, Silvally, and I have already taken down one of them.” She gestured to the unconscious Ultra Beast just a few meters away from them. “Where’s Gladion and Hau?”

“The Ultra Beast got them.” Plumeria said. “They had to retreat to Aether Paradise.” She surveyed the area with sharp eyes. “Gladion said that there were five of those Ultra Beasts. We’ve already taken down three, including that one. Where’s the other two?”

As if to answer her question, a blur of purple launched itself to them. Guzma heard, rather than saw the Buzzwole, and shouted for Golisopod. The Hard Scale Pokémon stepped beside Plumeria and blocked the Ultra Beast’s attack with its armor. The Buzzwole scurried back a few meters away and looked at them with its compound eyes.

A grin threatened to split Guzma’s face. “Yer smart fer an Ultra Beast, sneaking at us and stuff.”

“Careful, Guz.” Plumeria warned him as she fell in a firm stance beside her Salazzle. “That one’s bigger than the others and packs more punch.” She glanced at Golisopod, who seemed to have taken a bit of damage from blocking the attack.

“I know!” Guzma said, stepping beside her. “Ya’ better keep an eye out. There’s still another one runnin’ around.”

The Buzzwole shuddered, its head twitching as it raised its head to let out a cry. But before it could let release a note, a mass of white rammed against it. Silvally forced the Ultra Beast back, breaking its balance for a second. The Synthetic Pokémon roared, its mane bristling in a show of power. The Buzzwole raised its fist, but Silvally jumped away just as Golisopod appeared beside it and dealt with a powerful First Impression.

The Ultra Beast staggered but managed to recover quickly from the blow. It reached out a hand, grabbed Golisopod by the face, and slammed it down the ground with a sickening BOOM!. Silvally dashed forward to help Golisopod, but the Ultra Beast simply swatted it away with the back of its other hand.

“Salazzle, Flamethrower!”

Salazzle crept behind the Buzzwole and unleashed a stream of fire from her mouth. The Ultra Beast jerked back from the super effective move, releasing Golisopod in the process. Guzma called out an order, and his Pokémon scrambled up and answered in kind. His claws glowed white as he punched Buzzwole on the gut.

The Ultra Beast careened backward, smashing a boulder into pieces. Before it could have the chance to come back up, Drifblim hovered above. Her purple and white body was coated in crackling, yellow light. A lightning bolt struck down, electrocuting the Ultra Beast in three hundred million volts. Its burned body slumped down against the ground. The three Trainers waited in bated breath, their eyes not straying from the still Buzzwole. It was Acerola who broke the tense silence.

“Is it over…?”

Guzma shoved his hands in his pockets and scoffed. “Ya’ gotta be kiddin’ me!” He stomped toward the Ultra Beast, ignoring Plumeria’s protests. Golisopod clambered to his side as his Trainer stopped in front of the otherworldly creature and knelt. Guzma scowled. “Ya’ act big, but ya’ got no bite. Ain’t not worth my time-!”

“GUZMA!”

The former Team Skull leader’s eyes widened. For a split second, the Ultra Beast jerked back up – one of its hands shooting out to grab and break his neck. Guzma stumbled back, his heart clenched in his throat. He expected the suffocating hold around his neck, but it never came. He looked up and saw the Buzzwole looming over him, a beefy hand just a centimeter away from his face. The Ultra Beast was frozen in time, and with his proximity, he could see why.

The Buzzwole was surrounded in an outline of blue light, restraining its movement completely. There was a rustle from the bushes behind it, and a figure stepped in view. “And here I thought this day couldn’t get any better.”

Guzma’s eyes shot to the newcomer. He has seen the guy only three times – all from his matches in the Alolan League Championship. He has not paid much attention in the preliminary round, thinking he was just another ambitious hopeful for the Champion title. He only heard his deal with Gladion after Plumeria lost to the guy. Now, seeing him for the fourth time with that smug smirk on his lips, he regretted not punching the boy’s face after his match against Plumeria.

Sun, or whatever his name is, walked toward them, leaning casually against the Ultra Beast like some statue, which it technically is for now. The third Pokémon he brought out in his match with the younger Aether sibling trailed behind him. Her eyes glowed in blue as she kept Buzzwole under its Psychic.

“UB-02 Absorption,” Sun spoke like he was reading a book. “They’re already a challenge in their normal state, but like this?” He shook his head. The smirk on his lips crept into an ominous smile. “They’re really pulling the stops this time.”

Guzma stood up and glowered at the young man. “What do ya’ mean?” He demanded. “Are ya’ sayin’ someone is pullin’ the strings with these Ultra Beasts?”

“Are you curious?” Sun shrugged. “Sorry. I can’t tell you. That is between Mr. Future Aether President and me.” He tilted his head. “That is if he wins.”

“WHY, YA’ LITTLE-!” Guzma lunged at the boy but was stopped by Hatterene’s Psychic. He struggled the break free, but the Silent Pokémon held firm without much effort. “I don’t know what yer deal is, kid, but this is not a game! These Ultra Beasts will destroy Alola! I know ’cause I’ve seen it!”

Sun stared at him with bored eyes. “And?”

“WHAT?” Guzma roared. “Are ya’- mmph!”

“Hatterene.” Sun chided softly. “It’s rude to cut off people like that. Let him speak.” 

Hatterene let out an annoyed huff. The glow in her eyes flared as she shoved Guzma back using her Psychic, sending the ex-Team Skull leader slamming to the ground. Plumeria and Acerola immediately ran to his side, with the older woman looking up and leveling a glare at the boy. “What the hell is your problem, kid?”

For a brief moment, Sun stood still. A glimpse of shock cracked through his detached expression before it hardened back into apathy. “I will only tell you this once.” He stepped away from the Ultra Beast and narrowed his eyes at them. “Don’t get in my way.” He turned to his Pokémon. “Hatterene, take it down.”

The Silent Pokémon swiveled toward the Buzzwole and slammed it toward another boulder. The poor Ultra Beast could do little to resist as Hatterene kept it down against the fragments of the boulder. The Silent Pokémon lifted Buzzwole from the ground using Psychic and hit it point-blank with Mystical Fire. The Ultra Beast writhed as it burned before it was released and fell to the ground with a reverberating THUD!.

Above them, the Ultra Wormhole began churning wildly. Purple and white lightning crackled at the edge of the maelstrom as the wind started picking up speed around them. The Buzzwole lying like a discarded ragdoll was lifted off the ground as if it weighed less than paper. Plumeria, Guzma, and Acerola could only watch as the Ultra Wormhole sucked in the four Ultra Beasts before blinking out of existence, leaving only the clear night sky of Alola for them to see.

“Mister Guzma.”

The three snapped back to attention. Golisopod and Salazzle dashed in front to protect their Trainers, but Sun already called back Hatterene to her Pokéball. In his hand, he held his phone. The screen was lit, but it was far away for them to see the display clearly.

“Tomorrow, we will be facing each other,” Sun said, tipping his cap forward. “I am giving you a chance to forfeit.”

“Are ya’ lookin’ down on me, kid?” Guzma shot up to his feet, wincing briefly at the pain in his back. “I am the Big Bad Guzma! Don’t ya’ get cocky on me, ya’ piece of-”

“I am not.” Sun cut off, surprising the white-haired man. “I am giving you a chance to save yourself and the people you cared about. Forfeit the match, and things will not have to get ugly.”

Guzma growled. “Is that a threat?”

“No. It isn’t. I am giving you a warning.” He shoved his hands inside his pockets. “You have more than enough time before the match begins. Think about it carefully.”

Guzma was about to say something, but Plumeria beat him to it. “You…” She spoke. “Who really are you?”

Sun smiled. His smile, however, held no humor but only sadness. “I am who I am not.” He answered, turning on his heel and walking away. The waxing gibbous moon cast light on his retreating outline as if the beast of the Moone, Lunala, was barely hiding within the inky darkness of the night. “Think about what I said, Mister Guzma, because soon, the sun will set here in Alola. Think…and choose wisely.”  

Chapter 18: To The Flourishing Guzmania

Chapter Text

Lillie sat hunched on the chair beside her brother’s bed. It has been three hours since Gladion and Hau were admitted to the infirmary of Aether Paradise and two hours since the family doctor left them with a bit of good news. They received no significant injuries, just a few bruises, and scratches. Gladion, who was in better shape between the two, managed to report experiencing severe nausea and could barely stand upright even with Wicke supporting him.

Hau stayed in the room beside Gladion’s and was delirious when he was hauled to the infirmary. Lillie’s heart clenched tight in her chest every time the Champion woke up to only vomit whatever was left in his stomach. His grandfather arrived in a hurry and decided to stay by Hau’s side for the night. Hala urged Lillie to look after her brother and rest. She, herself, was affected at a distance but was lucky enough to have recovered fast and be able to watch over the two.

Lillie brushed Gladion’s bangs with delicate fingers. His pale complexion has gotten better compared to three hours ago, and the steady rising and falling of his chest reassured her that he was having a fitful sleep. Silvally was curled into a tight ball just by his feet. Acerola came by to bring Silvally back after a long, terrifying battle against the Ultra Beasts. The Elite Four member did not stay long, as she had to help her uncle with island matters.

It will be fine. Lillie thought to herself. The doctor said that Big Brother would be fine tomorrow, just in time for his match against Sophocles. Letting out a tired sigh, she leaned against the backrest, knocking off the jacket draped on the armrest with her elbow. She slid down to pick it up, her fingers curling against the blue and white fabric.

“I’ll be back for you. Don’t worry.”

Sun said that, made that promise, and returned. He came back for her a few minutes after the Ultra Wormhole took back the Ultra Beasts it unleashed and brought her to Aether Paradise on the back of his Corviknight. She did not manage to thank him properly as he left immediately with only a few parting words.

“Look after him for me, Miss Lillie.”

By him, Lillie knew that Sun meant Gladion. She has not figured who Sun really is, but the red-eyed Trainer seemed to have taken a keen interest in her brother. Maybe it was because Gladion actively pursues him because of his uncanny knowledge about the string of events happening in Alola right now, or maybe because of the deal they have made. Even so, Sun has proven to be both a dangerous foe and a formidable ally. He has the incredible skills of a veteran Trainer or even something greater. He has information about Moon and her five-year disappearance and has helped take down Ultra Beasts during tonight’s attack. He does not seem to be a bad person, but he has a lot of secrets that he wants others to figure out themselves.

Lillie glanced at her brother. Should she tell him about Moon’s Z-Power Ring? Gladion would undoubtedly be furious, and the matter will reach the League within an hour or less. And Sun? He might not be pleased and break off the deal between them. They might never find out what is happening in Alola if that happens. He might even end the agreement between him and Lillie, and she will never know what happened to one of her best friends.

Is she being selfish? Sun assured her that it had nothing to do with her brother – that Gladion will not get hurt – but something about it felt wrong. It felt wrong to hide that she knows who has Moon’s Z-Power Ring and keep it a secret from others that she finally has information about Moon, albeit for one year only.

“Your Moon is not here. Stop depending on someone that is not here for you. Is it that difficult to face that reality?”

Sun’s words held true, but they still stung painfully. He wore such indifferent expression when he said it like he could not careless Moon’s importance to them or the bonds the First Alolan Champion shared with the region.

Of course, he would not know. Lillie thought bitterly. He never met her.

She rummaged through one big pocket inside the jacket and pulled out a familiar envelope. Though she felt guilty about it, she has checked the other pockets prior for anything that could give Sun away. For some reason, she found nothing, as if the jacket owner expected it to happen.

Lillie folded the jacket and stowed it inside one of the cabinet drawers beside the bed. She will return it to Sun later, should she cross paths with him again, which is likely seeing that they have struck an agreement. She shifted on her seat uncomfortably and tugged the string wrapped around the width of the envelope. One by one, she gingerly produced the contents from the envelope and placed them on her lap.

The first was a ticket, dated five years ago, for the flight Moon has taken toward the region of Hoenn. Even after five years, the date, time, flight number, and booking reference are still intact. The time of the flight was stamped a little after midnight when everybody was sleeping soundly, and nobody was aware of the First Alolan Champion’s undisclosed departure. The second was a phone call transcript from what Lillie assumed regarding a private flight Moon chartered upon arrival to the region. It was a brief exchange, but the receiver’s name was either not mentioned or was intentionally removed. It simply talked about the private plane’s arrival at around eight in the morning, just precisely after the arrival of Moon’s plane, and its destination - the Sinnoh region.

A few more phone call transcripts afterward, where the receiver’s name was strangely missing, pointing out directions to her destination. Moon stayed in an apartment unit in Jubilife City rented out by the same person she was in contact with. There was no mention of that person’s identity, but Moon left and started traveling around the region after five months. Coincidentally, it was around that time that the controversies regarding the sudden resignation of the First Alolan Champion dwindled to nothing but afterthoughts, and the Alolan League and the inner ranks of the Aether Foundation pulled back their confidential search for her whereabouts.

Well, that is how it would seem, but she, Gladion, and Hau never stopped looking. They kept an ear out for any news from within and outside the Alola region, hoping for something that would point them to Moon’s location. There were no specific accounts on what Moon did during the first five months, except that she has kept a very low profile and started studying medicine under a group of well-known scholars as a student and apprentice. For why she made that decision was not indicated.

The following contents were reports on Moon’s most significant activities for the rest of the one-year timeline. She met up with a renowned professor in the region named Rowan, from whom she got her first Pokémon from the region. The reports detailed her travels – from visiting towns and cities to challenging gyms – while continuing her medical studies on the field with an unnamed scholar. She even went against the Sinnoh League Championship and won but never took up the mantle as Champion. She simply registered as a Hall of Famer. She handed the championship title back to the previous Sinnoh Champion, after which she returned to a one-month lull and spent her time with her studies before leaving the region altogether.

Somehow, Lillie found it odd. If Moon won an open League Championship where tens of thousands of people watched, how come the news did not reach outside Sinnoh? Headlines-worthy stories like this always reach other regions, no matter what form of media is used. It was as if information about her victory was suppressed within the region only, that even the Sinnoh League did not make an effort to let the world know that a new Champion was crowned in the region. That, and the fact that Moon turned down the Champion title almost immediately after the tournament, without regard to the six months’ time she spent traveling and training. Everything about it does not add up!

Lillie checked the inside of the envelope for anything that might answer the multitude of questions in her head. Her slim fingers pulled out the last document enclosed within the envelope. The mere sight of the glossy paper made her breath hitch. It was another ticket indicating Moon’s next destination just a day before the year ends.

Hoenn.


About seven years ago, Guzma hated the noise. He hated the cheering of spectators, the passionate clash of the Island Trials, and the sound of carefree laughter that accompanied victory. He hated it so much that he wanted to trample it, stamp out the hopes and dreams that he once believed in, and shut them out in a desolate walled cage that is Po Town.

It was only a year after that that Guzma became desperate for the noise. He might have once hated it, but he despised the silence - the eerie quiet that clung to your being as you trudged the lands of an alien world and walked among creatures that fed on your worst fears. He has only stayed in the Ultra Deep Sea for a mere hour, but he immediately despised the silence. It was far more dangerous than the noise, far too haunting to return to who he was before. The noise reminded him that he was alive; the silence did not. It seeps to your core and robs you of everything, leaving only a void that could never be filled.

That is if ya’ are a coward to reach out yer hand.

Guzma was lucky, incredibly lucky that that young girl held out her hand. He was fortunate that Plumeria and the grunts cared enough to swallow their pride to ask for help from a mere eleven-year-old girl. He was lucky that the girl did not care about the times he tried to provoke the professor who opened the path of a Pokémon Trainer for her or how he attempted to antagonize her whenever they crossed paths. She never paid attention to the glaring truth that he had failed on what she had accomplished and never looked down on a failure like him.

“Mister Guzma is the best Bug-type Trainer I’ve ever met! His Golisopod is sooo cool and strong! I want to raise one myself and have a rematch with Mister Guzma!”

Yeah. He was lucky, really lucky to meet Moon. If the kid had not bothered to listen to Plumeria and the grunts, he would never have seen the bright, warm sun of Alola again. If that kid did not storm Po Town and beat his ass down to the ground as he deserved, he would never be given a second chance. He felt honored to see her ascend to a title deserving of her abilities and proud to call her the First Alolan Champion. His Champion. Their Champion. Alola’s Champion.  

He never understood why she suddenly just left – nobody does – but that did little to soothe his anxiety. If that girl did not even tell Hala’s grandson or those Aether siblings whom she was closest to, what chance would she even tell someone like him? The entire League was shaken to the core by her sudden departure, and the Kahunas and Trial Captains were only informed later and tried to suppress the news from leaking out to the rest of the region. Of course, once the word was out, it only took a day to spread for an archipelagic region like Alola. It was Plumeria who told him about it. When the two of them scaled Mount Lanakila to confirm the truth, the entrance of the League was already swarming with local reporters and journalists from other regions the next day.

How could a thirteen-year-old Champion fer two years disappear fer five years?

Guzma is sure of one thing, and that is that Moon did not act on her own. That girl had someone orchestrate her disappearance – someone who is powerful enough to pull the right strings and completely erase her traces as if she did not exist at all. That, and Moon is a very clever girl. She may not seem like it in the first impression, but once you know her enough, her skills as a Pokémon Trainer are not the only ones to be wary of. Topped with her plucky attitude, she is basically a ticking time bomb to anyone who handles her poorly, which he has the honor of experiencing firsthand.

Now, standing on the same battlefield for the fifth time in this tournament, Guzma felt a sense of déjà vu. Sun, just like that kid, is a living, ticking time bomb. What makes them different is that he does not know how to handle the boy. The former Team Skull leader has watched him battle, and every time his opponent thinks they got him figured out, he throws them off with an unpredictable move. It is like he has already created the favorable setting of the match for himself at the very beginning and was simply pushing them in the direction he wanted them to.

But not today. Guzma glared at Sun, who was standing at the other side of the battlefield. Yer boy Guzma is not fallin’ fer yer tricks! He noticed the boy had shed his usual upper garb and opted for a blue and white letterman jacket with the letter SM stitched over the right breast area. The blond-haired Trainer has yet to say anything to him, but his frustration of his opponent not forfeiting the match was visible on those red eyes, and boy, it felt real good showing this kid one.

The Kahuna of Ula’ula island ambled to his position at the side and gave both participants a look of disinterest. “Uh…the second match for the semifinals will begin. You two, bring out your first Pokémon.”

Guzma decided to call out Pinsir first on the battlefield while Sun called out the Pokémon the ex-Team Skull leader had the honor to meet yesterday adequately. Hatterene narrowed her black eyes at him, clearly displeased at seeing him again. Tch! This kid’s Pokémon got some attitude.

Nanu dropped his arm in a chopping gesture. “Let the match begin!”

The crowd cheered as all cameras veered toward the match. Guzma shoved his hands in the pockets of his baggy pants and sneered. “Ya’ must be disappointed I’m here, kiddo.” He said. “But just ya’ know, I don’t like runnin’ away, especially from punks like ya’. The loved boss who beats ya’ down, and beats ya’ down, and never lets up... Yeah! Big Bad Guzma’s gonna teach ya’ a lesson not to mess with my homies!”

“I’ve given you a warning last night, Mister Guzma, yet you still came.” Sun rubbed his palm across his face and let out a defeated sigh. “No…I knew you would still come, regardless of my warning. Honestly, I would be disappointed if you didn’t. However, in this kind of situation….”

Sun glanced sideways before removing his hand and finally regarding his opponent with sharp eyes. Guzma flinched at the intensity of his gaze. “Fifteen minutes.” He remarked with a growl. “This battle will end in fifteen minutes.”

What?

“Did I just hear Contestant Sun right?” The announce exclaimed. “He said that the match will end in fifteen minutes! Sun just announced that he will defeat Guzma in fifteen minutes!” That sent the audience in a buzz. Even Nanu, who usually maintained a laidback attitude akin to the Ula’ula island’s deity, did a double-take at the blond. “What a bold declaration! The battle has yet to start, but we can already feel its heat!”

Guzma clenched his fists. The nerve of this brat! “I will beat ya’ down real good, kiddo.” He snarled. “Pinsir, Throat Chop!”

“Hatterene, Trick Room.”

The stadium distorted into a small room of kaleidoscopic tiles. With the order of their turns reversed, Hatterene easily dodged her opponent’s pincers. The Silent Pokémon grabbed Pinsir’s foot and threw him across the Trick Room. The Stag Beetle Pokémon managed to break his momentum and regained his footing.  

Guzma called out. “Stone Edge!”

Pinsir slammed his hand on the ground, and glowing, blue rock spires erupted from the ground toward his opponent. Hatterene dodged with ease and seized him with a vice-grip Psychic. With her foe rendered immobile, she closed the distance and struck with a powerful Mystical Fire. Pinsir screeched in pain as the flames blazed all over his body. He fell on the ground with a reverberating THUMP!.

The crowd roared as Guzma stood there dumbfounded. What happened? Everything happened so fast that he did not have time to say anything to save Pinsir from the attack. That, and the kid’s Pokémon is incredibly powerful to take his Pokémon down so effortlessly. What…? Is this kid fer real?

Guzma heard a giggle and looked at Hatterene. The Silent Pokémon was leering at him, clearly taunting him to do his worst. On the other hand, her Trainer was simply waiting for him to call for his next Pokémon. “Tch!” Guzma called Pinsir back and threw his next Pokéball. “Come on out, Scizor!”

“Hatterene, Trick Room.”

“We’re not gonna let ya’! Use Bullet Punch!”

Scizor launched itself forward with blinding speed and struck Hatterene on the face point-blank. She skidded back from the impact, her health bar sliding down to half from the super effective move. The Pincer Pokémon moved in for another punch, but Hatterene pushed him back with her Psychic.

“Hatterene, use Mystical Fire to keep your distance. Don’t let Scizor get close.”

Hatterene barely dodged another Bullet Punch and drew a wall of fire between them. Scizor jumped away from the fire, but a portion of his health bar went down when the flames grazed one of his claws.

“Now, Trick Ro-”

“I told ya’, kiddo!” Guzma roared. “We’re not gonna let ya’! IRON HEAD!”

Just in front of Hatterene, a swift gust of wind parted the fiery wall, and Scizor went in for the opening. The front of his skull glowing polished white as he headbutted the Silent Pokémon with a loud CRACK!. Hatterene staggered from the impact and crumpled to the ground.

Nanu ambled toward the fainted Pokémon and raised a hand. “Hatterene has fainted.” He announced. “Scizor wins.”

From behind Guzma, the cheers from the former Team Skull members overpowered the rest of the crowd. Their handmade banner waved wildly as some of them raised it over their heads. “HE’S GONNA BEAT YA’ DOWN AND SHOW YA’ UP! OUR BIG, BAD BOSS, GUZMA IS HIS NAME!”

“Heh!” Guzma smirked. Take that kid! “How does that feel? Yer boy just gettin’ started! If ya’ think I’m just yer everyday Bug Trainer, yer in for a beatin’, kiddo.”

Sun tugged his cap forward to hide the quirk on his lips. Impressive, as expected of Mister Guzma. He looked at the screen displaying Scizor’s remaining health bar. He used the wind produced by Scizor’s wings to minimize the damage of Mystical Fire and created an opening for an attack. It is a risky move, and he, no doubt, sacrificed some of Scizor’s health, but still, it is…

“Really amazing!” Sun murmured to himself as he called back Hatterene. If he were the same Trainer years ago, he would be in serious trouble.

“What ya’ talkin’ to yerself? Already thinkin’ to surrender, huh?”

“Not at all,” Sun replied as he hefted his second Pokéball. “In fact, I’m enjoying this.”

Guzma grinned as he spread his arms wide. “Good! This is how Pokémon battles should be! Let’s enjoy this, kiddo. You and I!”

Chapter 19: To Mirror Yourself (Part 1)

Chapter Text

Sun threw the Pokéball and called out Corviknight. At the Ula’ula Island’s Kahuna signal, the opposing Pokémon immediately launched toward each other. The Raven Pokémon’s talons clashed against the Pincer Pokémon’s claws as the two Steel-type fought with speed and force. Guzma ordered Scizor to use Bullet Punch, but Corviknight evaded and seized his opponent’s arm. The Flying-type Pokémon propelled upward, carrying the struggling Bug-type to the skies, before releasing him. His body burst in orange aura, and he dove down toward the freefalling Pincer Pokémon. The battlefield exploded with dust as Guzma’s second Pokémon struck the ground, and the cheers of the spectators in the stadium overwhelmed the announcer’s voice.

“I am happy you came by to visit, Gladion.” The soft clink of a plate caught Gladion’s attention. He pried his eyes off the television and looked up to thank his company. “You’ve been quite busy these days. Apart from helping Lusamine to run the Aether Foundation, you’re also a contestant in the League.”

“It’s manageable,” Gladion replied as he gratefully accepted the spoon offered to him. “My match this morning was already finished. I’m just waiting for the other finalist.”

Selene set down her plate of curry on the table and sat across him. “Of course. I watched your and Sophocles’ match. Both of you are incredible.” She sighed wistfully. “Ah…how I wish I could battle again. I’m too old to take the Island Challenge.”

Gladion’s spoon clinked at the rim of his plate. “I think you still can, Missus Selene. There’s not really a rule prohibiting anyone older than eleven years from taking part in the Island Challenge.”

Selene chuckled. “Even so, I’d rather watch you kids. You, Hau, and Lillie have a certain shine in you whenever you set out to a Pokémon battle.” She smiled. “Especially you, Gladion.”

Gladion coughed, veering his flustered face away from the older woman’s line of sight. The television screen flickered to a side-by-side display of both contestants’ faces. Sun has a smug smirk on his face; Gladion expected Guzma to be irritated at that self-satisfied expression, but strangely, the older man is grinning widely. His eyes have that kind of sparkle in them – a seemingly fiery look that is not anger but something akin to excitement. It is the kind of thrill that he knew so well – the one that gets your blood pumping through your veins as you and your Pokémon become one on the battlefield. Whether the result is a win or lose, you could not do anything but thirst for more.

Gladion could not remember when was the last time the ex-Team Skull leader made that expression - years ago perhaps - but one thing is for sure, Guzma is clearly enjoying his battle against Sun. His eyes looked at the side of the screen, where a timer was displayed. Sun still has five minutes left to defeat Guzma. The stadium crew must have put it up following the red-eyed Trainer’s earlier declaration.

“How’s your mother, by the way?” Selene asked. “She must be busy, given those Ultra Beasts attacking Alola again.”

“Yes, we are currently working on advancing our Ultra Aura detection system and re-training the response team. Last night’s battle was the toughest one we had yet.” Gladion answered, keeping his face as passive as possible. He did not want to admit it, but he was frustrated with his performance last night. He was supposed to be the most experienced in dealing with Ultra Beasts, yet he retreated early during the operation. It might already be a given, seeing how unpredictable the Ultra Beasts have become, but still… “The President is currently working together with the Ultra Recon Squad. There are still other issues to address, but I’d rather keep them undisclosed for now. Sorry.”

“It’s alright.” Selene smiled encouragingly. “There’s no need to apologize. As for the Ultra Recon Squad, I think I heard about them before. Were they the ones that helped Moon with that Ultra Beast Necrozma six years ago? Elio told me that he is working on them as well. My husband has not been home as of late and has not called for days. I know he tends to forget things when he’s buried with his work, but I couldn’t help but worry.”

“Is…that so?”

Now that Gladion thinks about it, he has not seen the professor since the start of the tournament. The Ultra Recon Squad, too. The last time he saw Phyco and Soliera was the day following their arrival. He has not paid much attention to it because he has been busy keeping an eye out on Sun. He has confidence that any new information they could find will be eventually relayed to him, but he has yet to hear anything. Not even the President approached him the past days and told him any news he might have missed. Maybe he should come by her office tonight.

“If you happen to see him, tell him to come home and call once in a while.”

Gladion nodded. “I’ll tell him.”

Selene thanked him and picked up the remote to turn the volume up. The screen was showing the battlefield where both semifinalists are down to their last Pokémon. Guzma and his partner, Golisopod, must have taken down Sun’s Corviknight somewhere during their conversation, but it seemed to have put up quite a fight as Golisopod’s health bar is down to less than seventy-five percent. Unlike his previous matches, Sun did not call for Dragapult and opted for a different Pokémon. This time it was a white, rabbit-like Pokémon with a red and orange tuft sticking out of his forehead and a navy patch of fur over his shoulders. The fur on his lower body resembles what seemed to be a navy-blue and red pair of pants.

The rabbit-like Pokémon, Cinderace is his name, darted to and from the battlefield, efficiently avoiding Golisopod’s Pin Missile. It seemed that Golisopod had already used First Impression before Cinderace’s appearance and could not do so now. The Hard Scale Pokémon tried for a Poison Jab, but the Striker Pokémon leaped away and retaliated with a powerful High Jump Kick. The attack cut a significant portion off Golisopod’s health, but he seized it as an opening for a counterattack. The dual-type Pokémon gripped his opponent’s leg and lunged a Throat Chop. The move hit its target successfully, but Cinderace managed to escape Golisopod’s grip with a Gunk Shot.

“That kid, Sun, wasn’t it? He is an outstanding Trainer.” Selene remarked. “If he were to go for it, he might become the next Champion.”

“…Yeah.” Gladion has long acknowledged Sun as a worthy and dangerous opponent, yet he is someone he cannot accept nor allow to become Alola’s next Champion. Whether it was deliberate or not, that guy has too many red flags to be seated in the highest position in the region.

“But that boy…he seemed lonely.”

Gladion turned to her with a questioning look. “Lonely?”

“That’s right.” Selene nodded. “He might look like he’s enjoying right now, but he is holding back. No, not holding back, but he is being restricted. That boy seemed to be carrying a burden that only he knows about.” She placed her spoon down on her plate. A sullen look on her usually bright face. “He reminds me of Moon.”

Gladion’s hand stilled at the mention of the former Champion’s name but said nothing as Selene continued. “You might not have noticed it, but as her mother, I know that that child has her cross to bear. She could have asked for help, but she didn’t want to burden anyone else. She’s far too kind and stubborn for her own good.” She sighed and smiled sadly. “I guess she got it from me.”

Gladion stared at his half-eaten curry as he contemplated over her words. He wanted to say something, anything to reassure her, but what could he say to a mother whose daughter disappeared without a word for five years? That, and he is never a man of words. That role is best left to Hau, who is the most outspoken among the three. It is a trait he never claimed for himself.

The cheers of the stadium crowd jerked him away from his self-deprecating thoughts and back to the live League match. The camera showed Golisopod with his arm plates raised over the soft portion of his body as Cinderace leaped and kicked at him in swift succession. Both Pokémon have barely a fourth of their health bars, but Cinderace kept up with his relentless attacks as Golisopod continued to defend. Eventually, Guzma ordered to use Liquidation, but Cinderace was faster than Golisopod and ducked from the move’s reach. Using his foot, he flicked up a small stone from the battleground, and flames began to ignite and cover the rock. The fiery ball grew in size with each kick as Cinderace raced back toward his opponent.

Guzma shouted for his Pokémon to defend, but it was a split-second too late. Using the momentum Cinderace gained, he lunged forward and kicked the fiery ball toward Golisopod. The Pyro Ball struck the exposed belly of the Hard Scale Pokémon and engulfed him in an explosive blaze. The silhouette of the giant Pokémon staggered before collapsing on the ground with a THUMP! There was a moment of silence as the onlookers watched the flames slowly die down before the stadium erupted into approving roars and applause.

“WHAT A HEART-STOPPING BATTLE!” The announcer exclaimed on air. “The winner of this match is Sun, and he will be facing Gladion in the finals!”

So, Sun won. Gladion glared at the television screen, now displaying his face side-by-side with Sun’s. This is it. The League finals are this afternoon. The deciding battle. He gripped the handle of the spoon tightly. He will win. No, he has to win, no matter what.

“Gladion…” The older Aether sibling flinched and looked at Moon’s mother. She was studying him with a soft look that Gladion could not place. “Tomorrow…tomorrow is the day either you or Sun will fight the Elite Four and Hau. Do you remember what that means?”

Gladion racked his brain for an answer. “I don’t kno-” He paused as his eye caught the calendar hanging on the opposite wall. Realization dawned on his face. “Ah….”

“That’s right. Tomorrow is Moon’s birthday. Her eighteenth birthday, no less.” Gladion felt all his energy drain out from his body as Selene continued. “I know that she might not be here to celebrate the most important birthday in a girl’s life, so instead, I would like to ask for a favor as her mother.”

Selene reached out and clasped his hands. “Please win the finals. I don’t know exactly the details, but I know that this match has something to do with what is happening right now in Alola. I don’t want to see the region, no, the world that my daughter protected to be destroyed. So, please, Gladion. Please win, no matter what.”

Gladion stared at the calloused hands holding his firmly. The television barely was given any attention as the cameras zoomed in on Sun racing out of the battlefield with Guzma right at his heels. Whatever the reason for that is currently far from Gladion’s thoughts. He had already made up his mind when he accepted the Second Alolan Champion’s challenge and asked the Kahuna of Ula’ula Island to withdraw his search request. There is no doubt that he is doing this for Alola…but is that all there is to it? Is protecting the region the sole reason he decided to go ahead with Sun’s proposal?

“Gladioooon! Just admit it! We’re friends. Ah, no! We’re already more than that! If you don’t, I’m not going to let you in the Pokémon League again, you grumpy pants!”

“I…” Gladion took a deep breath and met Selene’s brown eyes. “I will win. I promise.”

Whatever words of gratitude that Moon’s mother was about to say are cut off by Gladion’s phone ringing. Gladion gently extracted his hands from Selene’s hold and pulled out his phone from his pocket. A frown creasing his features as he looked at the unknown number displayed on the screen. He never gives his phone number to anyone without having theirs registered in his phonebook. He had to change his phone number once when some ‘fan’ got ahold of it and decided to share it with the public. Since then, he has only given it to people he actually knows, except for Sun. He still has not figured out how in the world did that guy got his number and thought about changing it again, but in the end, he decided against it. If he could use Sun’s phone number to track his movements, acquiring a new one would be a waste of opportunity. So far, he tried messaging him back, but the red-eyed Trainer has yet to respond to any of them.

Gladion stood up and excused himself to the front porch of the house. He tapped on the answer icon and pressed the phone against his ear. His voice failed to disguise the annoyance in his tone. “Hello. Who is this?”

He was prepared to hear an irritating screeching and end the call immediately, but instead, a man’s voice answered. “Ah, hello. Is this Mr. Gladion from the Aether Foundation? I am a member of the staff for the League tournament. I’m sorry if I called at a busy time, but we were told that you are one of the contacts in case of emergency.”

“Get to the point. What is it?”

“That’s…” There was a tapping sound in the background, barely overlapping the frantic bustle that accompanied it. “We received a report from one of our own at the west and east sides of Manalo. There is a group of Trainers causing a disturbance within the areas just as soon as the semifinals ended. According to the report, they broke into shops, vandalized buildings, and scared people away from the area. There have been thirty injuries so far, not including the police stationed there.”

What? Gladion thought in disbelief. Who would even dare to do that in a place swarming with powerful Trainers? “Did you already identify who they are?”

The man on the other end hesitated. “No, we haven’t. The camera feeds in the areas were all destroyed. Additional security was already dispatched, but – “ A slamming of a door cut off the man, and Gladion could barely hear someone shouting, WE GOT A PROBLEM! The next words were inaudible, but he could feel the severity of the situation from the next words uttered by the man. “What did you say? They’re here? How did they even-

The statement was drowned by a loud shattering of glass and a cacophony of screams that followed. Gladion jerked back and almost dropped his phone as more glass was shattered and inhuman noises joined the panicked shouts of the staff members. He could only make bits and pieces out of the chaos from the other end.

“-down, ya’ punks!”

“Don’t hurt us! We’re-“

“Shut yer trap, ya’ piece of shit!”

“Whatcha doin’ with that phone? Give it here!”

“W-Wait! No-!” There was a crashing sound and a cry of pain. Gladion tried calling out for the man, but the line fell dead. He peeled the phone away from his face and stared blankly at the screen. From the inside of the house, he heard Selene urgently calling his name, and he rushed over to see what it was. His heart nearly stopped at what was being shown on the television.

It was live coverage of the stadium itself. What was supposed to be spectators chatting amiably and leaving their seats after the semifinals are replaced with people ducking and running for their lives as a group of Trainers clad in black and white barged in and started destroying everything they set their eyes on. The humongous digital displays were bashed; the screens cracked and flickering. Chairs were toppled over, and banners yanked off the walls and stomped on. Some of the intruders were chasing after the audience, while some had set to spray the walls with vulgar messages.

Before what Gladion assumed to be the last working camera in the stadium, a face he just saw in the latest match appeared on-screen. Guzma had a wicked grin on his lips before the camera toppled over. The screen showed the bright, blue sky of Alola before the underside of a shoe loomed overhead and stomped on it. The discordant feed finally ends to nothing but static.

Chapter 20: To Mirror Yourself (Part 2)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Saying it was a mess was an understatement.

The accidental, live television feed did not cover the full scale of destruction in the stadium, nor did the call Gladion received from one of the staff members specify so. Half of the artificial island was emptied – the people evacuated to the south side where the docks are located. Even so, there are only a few ships operable, thanks to Team Skull. The Aether Paradise has to pitch in some vessels and helicopters to hurry along the evacuation process. It was fortunate that there were no casualties - those that are severely injured are immediately carted to different hospitals in the region. The hospital and Pokémon Center in the artificial island have not escaped the path of destruction, but not enough to entirely cripple their essential services.

If the higher-ups had left earlier that time, the aftermath would have been more disastrous. Those left inside the stadium fended off the intruders while they covered the escape of the civilians. Team Skull managed to slip from their grasp and disappear as fast as they appeared. Right now, the Kahunas and Elite Four are on the hunt for the notorious team’s leader while Hau and the Trial Captains are taking care of the civilians still left behind in the stadium. Gladion flew to the island as fast as possible and tried his best to accommodate the press, who they expected to swarm as soon as the news spread.

“Sir! Sir! Can you tell us what happened? Is it true that it was Team Skull who is behind this?”

“What will happen to the rest of the League tournament?”

“Didn’t Team Skull disband six years ago? Is their return related to Guzma’s defeat in the semifinals?”

Gladion hid the grimace on his expression as the reporters inched closer and shoved their microphones to his face. Dealing with the press is one of the things he absolutely hates, but right now, he is the only one who can handle it. “We are still looking into the incident, so we want to ask everyone to be patient. For now, please evacuate. It is dangerous to stay on the island.”

“Sir! There are rumors that the region is under attack, given the recent berserk attacks and Ultra Beast encounters. Is Alola still safe? What is the League’s take on this? How is the Champion handling this?”

Reporters, in Gladion’s opinion, are damn irritating when they want to be. He itched to get out of there as soon as possible and see the situation for himself, but he could not just answer things that had yet to be discussed. He has to give them a vague answer until the League sends out an official statement about the matter.

“That’s -”

“The League is going to investigate today’s incident personally.” Gladion felt a hand clamped on his shoulder and turned to see Hau, who had an easy smile on his face. The gathered crowd immediately fell into a hush as the Champion continued. “Right now, the Elite Four is searching for Mister Guz- I mean, the boss of Team Skull. We’ll be working together with the police and the Aether Foundation, so I request everyone be patient and stay in their homes until then. Any sightings of Team Skull should be reported immediately to the authorities.”

Murmurs floated among the press as the cameras flashed spontaneously. Hau ignored them and gestured to the police he had brought with him. “Please evacuate the island immediately and stay away while the investigation is ongoing. Everyone’s cooperation is appreciated.” Hau ended with a reassuring smile. The reporters surged forward to ask questions, but the police barricaded their path. He motioned for Gladion to follow him, and the two briskly walked away.

“You’ve gotten better.”

“Thanks to a certain someone who likes scolding me.”

Gladion snorted. “It’s part of your job. Don’t expect me to save your ass every time. I hate dealing with the press.”

“You hate everything, Glads.”

“Then, how’s everything?”

“Everything sucks right now if that’s what you’re asking.”

They passed by the plaza in front of Gladion and Lillie’s assigned hotel. The fountain standing on the center was demolished; the marble pieces lay on the tiled ground like washed-away pebbles in a river. The windows on the ground floor of the hotel were either shattered or sprayed with paint. The booths that previously littered the sides were toppled over; food and merchandise were strewn on the floor. Police officers and Aether volunteers were scattered, taking pictures of the destruction and cleaning up the larger debris.

“I just received a call from Miss Kahili. She told me they already got ahold of Big Sis Plumeria and the grunts but still haven’t found Mister Guzma yet. She also said that it would be better to postpone the finals. What do you think, Glads?”

Gladion frowned at him. “Why are you asking me?”

Hau looked at him like he had made a joke. “Uh…hello? Sun and your deal with him. Does that ring a bell?”

Gladion clicked his tongue. “There’s nothing I can do, can I? Team Skull came in and caused a racket.” He folded his arms. His eyebrows creased further. “As much as I want things to settle between me and Sun, the safety of the civilians is more important right now. The deal can wait. I’d rather not get more people to get hurt.”

Hau grinned and poked his side. “You’re really a softie, aren’t you?”

“Shut up.”

They entered the stadium, and Gladion kept his eyes ahead. He was long acquainted with the mess that Team Skull left in their wake, in which Po Town was once the center of it all. Of course, he prefers a cleaner and more orderly place. That is why he rented a place in a motel in Akala for himself. That, and he likes a space for himself only. Team Skull is a bunch of delinquents that he could only tolerate for a very short amount of time.

They stopped at the topmost section of the spectators’ area, where the entirety of the stadium could be seen. Among the areas that Team Skull thrashed, the stadium has the worst - even worse when left unused for five years. The displays that broadcasted the battles up close and personal fell on the ground with their screens bashed in. Banners were strewn on the dusty floor of the battlefield, ripped and some burned. Paint, both too bright and too dark for the eyes, was sprayed on every nook and cranny - the most and probably most childish message splashed across the field.

TEAM SKULL WAZZZ HERE! OUR BOSS IS STILL THE BIG BAD BEST!

Gladion took a deep breath. How did he even get affiliated with them again? He knew that the grunts are like children in adult bodies, but still…this is ridiculous!

“Glads?”

“What?”

“Do you…do you think Team Skull really did this? Do you think Mister Guzma ordered them to do this?”

Gladion eyed the Champion. He is making that face again. He knew that Hau has always been one of the types that wear their feelings on their sleeves. It is both his strength and weakness. A trait that he once disliked but learned to respect in time. He leaned against the railing and crossed his arms. “Everyone saw the live feed. Team Skull is the one who did it. Guzma was there at the end.”

Hau clenched the steel railing so tight that his knuckles turned white. “I just can’t believe it. Mister Guzma changed, and so did Team Skull. They don’t even call themselves Team Skull anymore! It…it doesn’t make any sense!”

In some way, Gladion understands Hau’s frustration. He was never that close to Team Skull compared to Moon and Hau. He respects Guzma and Plumeria and, over time, no longer views the former grunts as nuisances. If there is anything he knows about them from the past five years, there is no way they would resort back to their old ways. He might be cooped up in Aether Paradise most of the time, but he has already seen how far they have come. They are no longer outcasts but respectable members of the community who have already contributed a lot to the region.

So, they caused such a ruckus because of what? A tantrum? Guzma might have temper issues, but he has managed them well for years now. He has lost a few times now, but he had never gone self-destructive because of it, compared to before Team Skull disbanded. The former Team Skull leader has learned to accept his losses and reflect on them, making him stronger. So, why?

“I need to talk to Mister Guzma,” Hau mumbled. “I want to know why he did this.”

“…Yeah.” Gladion agreed after a beat of silence. “The Elite Four will find him, and when they do, we’ll ask him.”

Hau turned to him with hopeful eyes. “Together?”

Gladion huffed. There he goes again. “Fine.” He relented. “Together.”

Hau almost leaped at him in glee and slung an arm around the older Aether sibling. “You’re the best, Glads!”

“Get your arm off me!” Hau simply laughed as the blond shook his arm off. Gladion glared at him. “If you can already laugh like that, then get to work! Stop shirking in your duties as Champion.”

“Am not!” Hau pouted, slightly offended. “I’m doing my work, you know! I’m keeping people safe. Maybe you’re the one who….” He trailed off, his eyes widening by the second. The Champion could barely hear Gladion’s question amidst the ringing in his ears. This prompted the blond to follow his gaze.

The moment Gladion did, he felt his heart stop. Standing just across them from the opposite of the stadium is a figure clad in black from head to toe. The person was wearing a jacket two sizes too big for their frame and their hair tied in a long, black ponytail peeking behind their cap. Hau and Gladion could not ultimately see the person’s face, with the black mask covering the lower part of the face, but the eyes…they know those eyes - blue eyes that are deep as the depths of the ocean and as bright as Alolan sky. The eyes that have seen so much and experienced so much. Those eyes could only belong to one person they know well…or at least, they thought so.

Moon.

For a moment, their eyes met. The intensity of that gaze sent terrifying chills on the two young men’s spines. A strong gust of wind passed by and picked up a fallen banner to the air, covering their view for a split second. By the time the banner passed by and the two men could see the other side again, the figure had already disappeared.


Sun slammed the side of his fist against the brick wall. He was late! He could not stop them from going through the President’s plan. He should have been more forceful in preventing Mister Guzma from appearing in that match. If he did, maybe, just maybe, things would not have escalated like this. He ran a hand across his face and sighed. At least, Mister Guzma is safe. If those two met so soon…

Sun did not want to think about it. He was fortunate enough that he managed to get the older man’s attention that he came running after him at the end of the match. That allowed him to get him away from the stadium and escape the clutches of the League. Still…it cost him precious time. He did not try ending that match for fifteen minutes just for fun. He cannot completely stop the plan, but he could have delayed it.

Sun leaned against the wall, listening to the faraway bustle of Malie City. The talk of the town has been Team Skull and the invasion in the Manalo Stadium. He expected the news to spread fast, but it is still terrifying how quickly it took. His shadow quivered behind him, and he placed a firm hand against the wall. “I’m fine. Don’t worry.” He whispered against the darkness. “They should be here any moment now. Be ready.”

There was no answer, but Sun smiled, nonetheless. He peeled away from the wall and straightened up as heavy footsteps approached him. His face dropped to a frigid expression as his newly arrived company stepped too close next to him for his liking.

“Well, well! If it isn’t Sunny boy.” The leader of the group easily towered over Sun. The electric shock of dyed white hair hung above him like a pitiful cloud. “I thought ya’ll ignore us again like always, huh?”

Sun glared from beneath the shadow of his cap. “I have my orders.” He replied icily. “Even if I want to, I don’t want to anger the President.”

“Ho-ho! Ya’ hear that, grunts?” The man turned to his subordinates. “The wittle pup’s scared!”

The group snickered, but Sun decidedly ignored them. “At least, I succeeded in my tasks.” He smirked. A clear mocking tone in his voice. “I heard that the ship that was supposed to transport the Z-Crystals was discovered.” The man flinched as the blond stepped forward. “Whose fault was that, I wonder. Do you know, Guzma?”

Guzma gritted his teeth as he scowled at the younger boy with contempt. “Yer cocky just ‘cause ya’ got in that pathetic tournament! Don’t forget that place is already gone to rubble!”

Sun deliberated whether to punch the guy or not. He could get a punch or two, but he did not want to compromise his position no matter how ticked he was by the guy. “Yeah, yeah. Congrats.” He drawled. “Congrats on finally finishing something. Honestly, you could have been faster.”

“Why, ya’ little-“

“If you have nothing to say, then I’m going now.” Sun shoved his hands inside his pockets and turned away. “Just so you know, I’d hate to be that guy, but,” He paused and looked over his shoulder. “The higher-ups of this region are nothing to scoff at. If you don’t want your asses to get kicked, you better deal with them soon.”

“Don’t tell me yer afraid of ‘em?” Guzma taunted. “We have the Ultra Beasts. Those brats are nothin’.”

From amidst the darkness, Sun’s eyes seemed to glow like molten lava. “Keep that up, and you will be back to where you come from before you can even blink.” He turned his head away. “That’s all I have to say. Don’t call me unless the President ordered so. I hate unwanted interrup-!”

CRASH!

They all winced and turned around to see a lid of metal trash can rolling past the end of the alley. Someone swore loudly from the left corner, and a humanoid shadow receded hurriedly away from the light coming from a nearby lamppost. Guzma narrowed his eyes and snapped his fingers. Some of his bigger grunts ran past Sun and turned sharply to the corner. Almost immediately, the sound of running footsteps was followed by something heavy colliding to the ground and a string of shouts and curses. A minute of what Sun assumed to be a brawl passed by before the grunts returned, dragging a struggling man toward their boss.

“LET ME GO, YA’ PUNKS! I’LL – URK!”

Sun stood still on the spot and cursed under his breath as one of the grunts kicked their haul to the feet of their boss. Guzma did not miss his shocked expression, and the leader of Team Skull grinned wickedly as he clapped. “Well now, isn’t this twisty?” He leaned down and grabbed the man’s hair, tilting his face upwards to face his. “If it isn’t the me from this world. Ya’ got guts to follow Sunny boy to yer death, huh?”

The second Guzma glared at him beneath blackened eyelids and opened his bloodied mouth to retort. “I heard from a lil’ bird…a long time ago…that there’s a thing called parallel worlds or somethin’.” A smirk quirked from the swollen side of his lips. “I didn’t know that the other me is uglier than I am.”

A loud CRACK! echoed in the dark alley as the doppelganger punched his stomach. Guzma keeled over, coughing up blood on the dirty, cemented ground. “Ya’ think yer smart, huh?” The first Guzma stood up and slammed his shoe at the back of his head. “Now, I think of it, ya’ and I aren’t smart enough for that.” He turned at Sun with a sneer. “Ya’ tried to hide ‘im, didn’t ya kid? That guilty face of yers says so.”

Sun, who has recovered from his initial shock, narrowed his eyes at him. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He removed his hands from his pockets and stepped forward. “Or is it that you’re trying to spin things in that tiny head of yours just because you want to?”

“Hah! Ya’ think a traitor like ya’ got to say that? Once the President finds out -“

“Once the President finds out, do you think she will forgive you from your earlier blunder?” Sun cut off sharply. “I just reminded you, yet you got the audacity to forget immediately, Guzma. If Interpol did not find out about that ship, the whole region would have already fallen into chaos as President Lusamine planned. I will ask you again. Whose fault was that?”

The darkness of the alley seemed to be blacker than a minute ago, almost as if it had swallowed even the tiniest speck of light in existence. Sun walked toward him until he was standing face-to-face with the older man. The Guzma from the parallel world tried to move but could not as if something were keeping him in place. He looked around to call for his grunts, but his eyes widened in the realization that he was alone. It was just the two of them in this empty and endless void.

“I’m warning you, Guzma,” Sun said in a low voice. His red eyes gleamed against the darkness, daring him to challenge him. “I am the last person you would want to be enemies with. Know your place.

They stood like that for like an eternity before Sun stepped back, and the dimly lit alley returned as if the darkness was simply a hallucination. The blond Trainer looked down at the Guzma of this world, who glared at both as if preparing to spit out the most brutal curses he has in his arsenal. Somewhere above them, a shadow of an Alolan Meowth scampered past.

“I enjoyed our match earlier, Mister Guzma, but this is where things have to end,” Sun said, glancing at the other Guzma. “Do what you want with him, but don’t kill him. He could still be useful to the President.”

Guzma was red and seething in rage – something that Sun openly showed his amusement at. “We’re not done yet, Sunny boy! Do ya’ understand?”

Sun rolled his eyes. “Curb your inferiority complex, please, and get going.” He leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. “Before I lose the last ounce of tolerance I have for you and your minions, Guzma.”

Tch! Arrogant brat!” Guzma growled as he turned and kicked an empty can lying on the ground. “Get that useless me, and let’s go!”

Sun watched them as two of the bigger grunts dragged the Guzma of this world like a ragged doll. For a moment, their eyes met before Guzma broke away to shout and struggle against his captors. From beneath his roughed-up body, the darkness that once surrounded them slithered and melded with his shadow. The blond Trainer waited until the sound of their footsteps receded and an Alolan Meowth leaped down from the top of the opposite wall.

“Did you successfully relay my message to them, Zoroark?” Sun asked. Before his very eyes, the Illusion Fox Pokémon shifted back to her original form and nodded in response. Her Trainer smiled. “Good work. I know it’s a risky move, but we can’t afford to wait for further orders. That, and I’m not really the type to stand back and wait.”

Sun peeled himself away from the wall and rummaged into one of the pockets of his jacket. He pulled out a white envelope and a black Z-Crystal and offered them. “I have another request for you. Do you remember Mister Molayne? Deliver these to him, but make sure no one else finds out. He will know what to do when he reads the letter.”

The shape of the Pokémon shifted into something humanoid until Sun was standing face-to-face with a black-clad figure. Only the upper half of the face could be seen, but its blue eyes glittered like sapphires in the dim light. The transformed Pokémon accepted the items and slipped them inside her jacket.

“It’s still weird seeing you transform into…that.” Zoroark made a huffing sound in response. Sun chuckled before his expression dropped into something more serious. “Phyco, Soliera, Professor Burnet, and Professor Elio…we could have asked for their help if only Ultra Team Skull didn’t have their hands on them. The only person we could entrust this task, for now, is Mister Molayne.”

Zoroark looked at him questioningly. “Roark?”

“Hm? You’re worried about Mister Guzma?” Sun shook his head. “Don’t worry. It will be fine. If there is one thing I know about him, he isn’t the type to let anyone down. After all,” He smirked. “He’s the Big Bad Boss of Team Reskull.”

Notes:

For people who are confused about the two Guzma, this is how they are differentiated in this chapter via a third person point-of-view and Sun's perspective:

Guzma from the current world: Guzma of this world, second Guzma, Mister Guzma

Guzma from the parallel world: Guzma from the parallel world, first Guzma, doppelganger, Guzma

Note that Sun never attaches honorifics when talking to the Guzma from the parallel world. He is far more respectful and polite to the Guzma from the current world because of reasons.

Chapter 21: To Let Loose (Part 1)

Chapter Text

“…finals will be postponed indefinitely. This official statement was made following today’s incident in the Manalo Stadium, where a group of Trainers identified as Team Skull overran the stadium shortly after the second match of the semifinals. The culprits are already arrested, but their leader is still at large. The League is encouraging people to remain vigilant and report to….”

The news trailed away from Gladion’s ears as he walked briskly past the reception hall. He barely glanced at the employees that greeted him on his way or paid any attention to the Pokémon that usually clambered their way to him. His feet might have their purpose and direction, but his mind has been aimless since that afternoon. That person that he and Hau saw – they might not have wholly seen the face, but he was sure who it might be it. He knows those eyes, gazed upon them many times, and has seen them whenever he looks at the ocean and the sky of the Alola region. He cannot be wrong, but at the same time, there is a feeling of wrongness about it.

Five years have passed, so how would they even know how she looked like? They got no pictures, no news, not even a rumor about the former Champion. Even if there is, the credibility will always be doubtful. They could imagine, or even assume, what she would look like after all these years, but there is no way they would know if they are right.

They must be hallucinating. Gladion paused on his steps and shook his head. There is just no way. If she ever comes back, they will know. Did Team Skull bring in a hallucinogenic substance? He should tell Hau to request the police to do a throughout search of the area. It will be dangerous to leave something like that behi-!

“Young Master?”

Gladion flinched and turned around sharply. The hand that was already reaching for his Pokéballs paused when he recognized the branch chief. “Wicke? What are you –” He brushed a flustered hand across his hair. “Hah…you surprised me.”

Wicke gave him a worried look. “Forgive me, Young Master, but I saw you were standing outside the President’s door for some time. Is everything alright?”

“… It’s nothing.” Gladion avoided her gaze and looked at the black double doors to his right. A golden plaque that reads President’s Office was nailed on the door. How long has he been standing here like an idiot? He did not even notice that he had already reached his destination. He coughed lightly to dispel the awkward atmosphere. “Is…the President in?”

Wicke nodded. “Yes. Are you going to meet her?”

Gladion nodded absentmindedly. It has been a while since he has seen his mother - the last time he did was before Lillie’s match against Sun. Since then, he has been busy chasing after Sun and uncovering his motives and connection to the string of events happening in Alola. He has not seen even a peep from his mother nor spoken to her at all. Now that he has the opportunity, he has a lot of questions to ask.

“There are things I want to discuss with her. Is she busy right now?”

“Not that I know of.”

“I see…” Gladion turned to the doors and lifted a loosely clenched hand to knock. “Then, I’ll be going inside.”

“Young Master.” Gladion’s hand paused midair, and he looked at the purple-haired woman questioningly. Wicke fidgeted with the clipboard pressed tightly against her chest as if she were deliberating whether to continue or not. “I…If the young master does not mind, please be cautious around the President. I’m afraid she has been…out of sorts, to say it generously, the past few days.”

Gladion furrowed his eyebrows. “What do you mean?”

Wicke carefully considered her following words. “I cannot say but, please be wary. Not just now, but also for the coming days. That’s all I have to say. If you’ll excuse me.” She bowed down and hastily walked away.

Gladion could only watch in confusion as she turned the corner and disappeared. Wicke is not the skittish type; she is always composed while fulfilling her job efficiently and professionally as the branch chief. Seeing her act like this felt wrong, and from Gladion’s experience, it means something is going on, and he should listen to what the woman told him.

What does she mean that Mother is out of sorts? There is no way that Lusamine relapsed back when she was envenomated by a Nihilego six years ago. Bill assured them that the anti-venom worked perfectly, and the multiple tests done in the months before her and Lillie’s return to Alola showed her negative of the Ultra Beast’s venom. There have been a few adverse effects, but none of them were severe nor long-lasting.

It would be better to see it myself. Gladion knocked thrice and called out. “President, it’s me, Gladion. Are you busy?”

From the other side of the doors, a clear, sweet voice rang out. “Not at all. Come in.”

Gladion gripped the handle and pushed the doors open. He stepped inside the pristine, white room and closed the doors behind him. Across him, Lusamine rose from behind her desk and smiled pleasantly. “It’s been a while, Gladion. You haven’t visited your mother these past few days.”

“I’ve been busy lately,” Gladion replied as he crossed the room in a few long strides. “I have important things to do.”

“Is that so? What things would my son be occupied with that he could not even spare the time to visit his mother?” Lusamine ushered him to the sofa set at one side of the room and sat across him. She gingerly picked up an elegant ceramic teapot from the glass coffee table. “Tea?”

Gladion hesitated for a moment. He glanced at the tea set spread in front of him before nodding slowly. “…Yes.” He watched her pour tea and accepted the teacup from her. “Thank you.”

“I’m glad we could talk like this after a long time,” Lusamine said cheerily as she poured herself a cup. “Now, what were we talking about? Ah, yes! The matters you are busy about.”

Gladion stared at the steaming, light-brown drink on his hands. “The President must have already heard what happened today.” He said quietly. “I checked the situation myself. While the stadium is currently in a state of disorder, there are no reported casualties. All civilians were evacuated immediately and the only ones left were the police and the volunteers the Foundation we sent earlier. The initial investigation was carried out without any problems, and the culprits were arrested, but the police have yet to capture Guzma.”

“Is that so?” Lusamine took a sip of her tea. “It would be for the best if Guzma does not show his face anymore.”

Gladion’s fingers tightened around the handle of the teacup. “What do you mean?”

“The good reputation he worked hard to build is destroyed. It would be no good for him or his subordinates to appear in public. The people will ostracize them again, just like the old times. It’s quite pitiful, really.” Lusamine set down her teacup with a soft CLINK! and smiled. “Don’t you think so too, Gladion?”

Gladion stared at her smiling face before answering carefully. “… That’s not something for me to decide, President.”

Lusamine chuckled. “You’re so uptight, my son.” She folded her hands together and set her chin down. “And why President? Call me Mother. It would make me really happy hearing you call me that.”

Gladion shook his head. “I’m here to discuss work, and so, I will call you President.” He said firmly. “This is what we have discussed and agreed with five years ago, President.” He placed the teacup down on the table and met her eyes. “I’m here to inquire about the progress of Professor Elio and Professor Burnet’s research about the berserk Pokémon, as well as regarding the Ultra Recon Squad’s cooperation with the Ultra Beasts crisis. I haven’t been able to see them lately, given that I am busy. You promised to report any updates to me the soonest you can, yet I have yet to receive any.”

Lusamine sat back, disappointed. She pressed a hand on her forehead and sighed. “Really now? Is work the only reason you are here?”

“Would there be other reasons I should be here for?”

“Such a stubborn child.” Lusamine clicked her tongue. “Would it hurt you not to disappoint your mother even on -!”

BANG!

The ceramic tea set rattled when Gladion slammed his palms against the table. The sparkling tea spilled over the cups and onto the polished glass surface. “President!” Gladion exclaimed. “I don’t care whether you have good or bad news! I want to know the state of affairs on our side! Right now, Alola is in danger, and it is our job to protect the people and the Pokémon in the region. You know that!”

Gladion clenched his teeth. “Ugh! Forget it!” He stood up. “I will look for them myself, so don’t even bother.” He turned and began walking towards the door.

“Gladion!” Lusamine admonished as she rose and stomped after him. “Are you just going to walk away from your mother? You haven’t even drunk your tea. Stop being difficult!”

Gladion gripped the handle tightly and glanced at the desk. The photos that once littered one side of the President’s desk have been cleared. “I don’t like tea.” That stopped Lusamine from her steps. “You know that. Because every time I came by, you prepared coffee for me. Sometimes, it would be bitter, sometimes sweet. But even so, I never cared what the taste was because you made it. What changed?

“Son-“

Gladion turned around and glared at her. “You are not my mother. Who are you?” With his free hand, he reached to Silvally’s Pokéball. His chartreuse green eyes flashed in anger. “Give me one reason not to tell Silvally to rip you to shreds right here, right now.”

Lusamine stared at him hard before lowering her head. Her shoulders trembled as she dissolved into a fit of hysterical laughter. “Hah…ha ha ha HAHAHAHAHA!” Gladion let go of the doors’ handle and fell into a battle stance. Her laughter ceased as she looked up and met his eyes. “How frustrating. You are as troublesome as my Gladion.”

My Gladion? Gladion’s hand clenched tightly around Silvally’s Pokéball. “Who are you? Answer my question!”

“As impatient as well.” Lusamine turned and walked toward the desk. “It’s such a shame that things ended the same way. You are far lovable than my son. We could have been a loving family if you didn’t figure it out so quickly. What a shame.” She leaned against the desk as she faced him. “I should introduce myself. I am another version of your mother, my dear boy. The Lusamine from a parallel world.”

“W-What?” From another world? Gladion gaped at her with wide eyes. He was not there at that time, but he had heard of the invasion of an evil organization to Aether Paradise shortly after Moon was crowned Champion. He has read news articles about it and discovered that the people involved also existed in this world. If that is the case, then this person, this woman who looks like his mother….

He forced himself to look at her properly. He has seen that detached smile before and those dark and empty eyes…the Lusamine before him is the version of his mother who never received salvation - someone who has completely surrendered to desperation and madness. But how did she get here? If she is from a parallel world, could it be that she managed to exploit Cosmog’s interdimensional powers fully? Why did nobody stop her? Where is her world’s Moon? She was the one who has stopped this world’s Lusamine, so where is the parallel version of her? What happened…?

Don’t tell me… Gladion’s hand loosened around Silvally’s Pokéball in disbelief. His jaw tightened. “You…do you know a person named Moon in your world?”

“Hm? Are you speaking to me calmly now? What a capricious child.” Lusamine stared down at him. “No, I don’t know this Moon you’re talking about. Such a person doesn’t exist in my world. Yet from the looks of it, she’s quite a celebrity in this world. I heard she’s the Champion of this region.” She smiled viciously behind the palm of her hand. “Though former Champion should be the proper title.”

Gladion glowered. “How dare you!”

“Oh? What’s this? Don’t tell me….” Lusamine narrowed her eyes. “She’s someone important to you? Now, this is something!” She cackled in cruel glee. “Who would have thought my cold, heartless son would have someone dear to his heart? I’m quite intrigued.”

“Shut up! I am not your son, and you are not my mother.” Gladion plucked Silvally’s Pokéball. “Tell me where my mother is or else -”

“Or else what? You’re going to tell everyone?” Lusamine sauntered toward him until she was standing in front of him. She spoke in a low, haughty voice. “You don’t know anything, Gladion. I am not the only one in this region.”

She placed a finger on his chin and tilted his face forward. “You can’t even do anything right now. You, the police, the fools in that so-called League…I will recreate my paradise in this Alola, exactly like how I created in mine, and you can’t do anything to stop me. As for the Lusamine of this world, hmmm… let’s see….” The smile on her lips threatened to split her face apart. “I wonder what would happen if they were left without the basic necessities. Perhaps, they will rot to death?”

Gladion slapped her hand away and growled. “You’re not going to stay any longer here. I will send you back to your world. I promise you that!”

“How adorable.” Lusamine chuckled as she stepped back. “I want to see you try. If you can’t hold a candle against my cute, sunshine lamb, what chance do you have?”

She reached the handle and opened the doors. She gripped Gladion’s shoulders - her nails digging on his clothes - and pushed him forcefully to the hallway. Gladion stumbled back and almost toppled to the floor. “Now then, be a good boy and sleep well. By the time you wake up, this will all just be a horrible nightmare.”

“Wait-“

The doors slammed shut to Gladion’s face. He shouted, punched, and kicked, but the doors did not budge an inch. He stomped and snatched Silvally’s Pokéball he dropped on the floor. He was about to call out the Synthetic Pokémon when the other Lusamine’s words echoed in his head.

“You don’t know anything, Gladion. I am not the only one in this region.”

“Dammit!” He slammed his forehead against the adjacent wall before slumping against it. He cannot trust anybody here. If there are more people like her, then….

A ringing tone broke him out of his thoughts. He pulled out his phone from his pocket and looked at the screen. A familiar phone number was displayed – a number that he only received a message once and no replies from his messages afterward. Sun’s. He hastily opened the message and felt the color drain out of his face as he read.

Mahalo Trail. Nine o’clock sharp tomorrow morning.

Bring everyone you trust.

Protect Tapu Koko at all costs.

Chapter 22: To Let Loose (Part 2)

Chapter Text

Lillie wondered how the usually short trek through Mahalo Trail suddenly felt like an eternity.

Maybe it was because of the marching footsteps digging on the soil and wooden planks. Perhaps it was because of the eerie silence over their group under the bright Alolan sun. The tension was palpable, even more so around her older brother. Gladion sent an urgent message to Hau last night, in which he explicitly told Champion to keep between him and the Kahuna of Melemele Island. Lillie was only informed earlier that morning, and she has to persuade Gladion to let her join them. After a short discussion, the three agreed to check on the situation, while Hala notifies the other Kahunas regarding the matter. Should things turn for the worse, they will have people to back them up.

“Hey, Glads.” Hau’s voice pierced through the silence. “Are you sure we should trust Sun? I mean, he is Sun. You know, your probably-not-archnemesis and someone-not-planning-something-evil?”

There was an annoyed sigh in front of Lillie. “I don’t know,” Gladion answered. “I know we can’t trust him, but we can’t ignore his message either. That’s the reason why we’re going. If it is a trap, then we’ll fight back.”

And it is not the first time. Lillie could almost tell Gladion’s thoughts at this time. The Aether siblings have yet to tell the Champion about what happened the night before her match against Sun. It was Lillie who insisted not to tell. She did not want to worry Hau any further - the Champion has a lot on his plate right now behind that easygoing façade. The higher-ups are all spread thinly – with the League searching high and low for Guzma. At the same time, the Kahunas led the frontlines of the Ultra Beast crisis together with the Aether Foundation. The Trial Captains had to take over some of their Kahunas’ duties to manage their respective islands. All of those while cleaning after Team Skull’s mess, holding the Island Trials, keeping a vigilant eye on any Ultra Beast or Team Skull sighting, and juggling their lives outside their Island duties.

“Well, that escalated quickly,” Hau muttered. He tried to sound light, but Lillie could see his hand resting already on the Pokéballs latched on his waist. “Anyway, I got some news from Miss Olivia. They already interrogated the Team Skull members they arrested. Big Sis Plumeria said that Mister Guzma never told them to wreck the stadium yesterday. She and the grunts were on their way out when it happened. They followed Mister Guzma, who was chasing Sun after the match.”

Gladion paused and glanced over his shoulder. A frown creasing his features. “What? Is she saying that it wasn’t them who did it but someone else?”

“Weird thing is that,” Hau said. “Big Sis Plumeria might be telling the truth. The cameras might have been broken, but the recordings were still intact. They checked the video feed, and it matched with her statement. They were already out of the stadium when ‘Team Skull’ appeared, and they got caught in it. As if -“

“As if they were used as a scapegoat.” Gladion pinched the bridge of his nose. “But that isn’t enough. They have to prove it wasn’t them.”

“Imagine if there were actually two versions of them. That would be crazy!”

Hau meant it to be a joke, but Gladion had a strange expression on his face when he said it. The blond did not say anything and continued moving forward. Lillie and Hau exchanged worried looks as they caught up to the long strides of the older Trainer. If there is anything they learned about Gladion for the past five years, he tends to be really quiet and keeps things to himself if something is bothering him. Usually, they would start egging him to spill, but it seemed now would not be a good time for that.

“Uhh…so,” Hau started again after a minute of awkward silence. “I’m surprised you want Aether Foundation out of this? You usually inform Miss Wicke first about things like this. Did something happen?”

“…Nothing,” Gladion answered after a beat of silence. “Just a small family spat.”

That made Lillie more worried. Shiron seemed to share her thoughts and bumped her head against her arm. “Did you and Mother fight? I know you don’t always agree with Mother, but -“

“It’s nothing big, Lillie.” Gladion tried to reassure her, but there was an edge in his voice. “I’ll fix it.” He clenched his fists. “No matter how long it takes.”

Lillie pursed her lips. It has been so long since Gladion got in an argument with their mother. It took a while before Gladion finally forgave Lusamine and longer for them to mend their shattered relationship, but they have been getting along well since then. Though most of their interactions have been professional rather than familial, it has been relatively peaceful between them. Lusamine has been trying her best to become the mother they deserved, and Gladion has learned to let his guard down around her and accept her affections.

Although he interacts with her less than Lillie does, their family is slowly progressing back to what it used to be before Mohn disappeared. Their father might have lost his memories of them, but they make it a point to visit him occasionally in Poké Pelago and see how Moon’s Pokémon have been doing. Their mother might have accepted Mohn’s situation years ago, but Lillie still hopes their father will recover his memories someday. Whether entirely or not, as long as he remembers his family, Lillie would still be happy either way.

She wondered if he thinks the same way or if it is just her who believes so. She wanted to reassure him that things would be all right, but she felt hypocritical. She felt guilty hiding that she struck a deal with Sun and kept the documents about Moon to herself. She has already received the records for the second and third years last night but has yet to read them. Maybe she should tell him now...

She opened her mouth to call his name, but Gladion stopped abruptly on his tracks right as they arrived at the Plank Bridge. Lillie peered behind her brother and felt her breath hitch. Standing just at the end of the bridge with his back turned to them was Sun. They could not see his face, but he seemed to be gazing at one spot on the bridge. He turned to them at the sound of their footsteps. “So, you’ve arrived….”

Gladion’s voice was eerily calm. “Sun.”

Sun’s eyes roved behind him and landed on her and Hau. His face was terrifyingly unreadable as he sized them up. “…And you brought company just like I told you. Good.” He nodded approvingly. “If it’s the Champion, I’m sure we can get by.”

“What do you want?” Gladion interrupted. “You messaged me last night out of the blue. What do you mean by protecting Tapu Koko? What did you do?”

“I did nothing,” Sun answered, crossing his arms. For some reason, he seemed offended by the notion. “It’s more of….they are about to do something.” He shook his head. “Look. I know we’re on bad terms right now -“

“That quite generous,” Gladion remarked sarcastically. “Saying we’re on bad terms.”

“’ Kay. Really bad terms.” Sun supplied, rolling his eyes. “But now is not the time for that. When I said ‘protect Tapu Koko’, I meant it. The guardian deity of Melemele Island is in danger.”

“And why should we believe you?”

“Why?” Sun parroted. “Because we have a deal, Gladion, and I intend to see to it.”

Gladion looked taken aback. It is the first time that Sun has referred to him by his first name. Something about how he said his name felt uncannily familiar, but he could not put his finger on it. “And how are you going to do that? The stadium’s busted, and the tournament’s postponed. Unless you messaged me just to challenge me to a battle, I don’t think I would ever believe you.”

Sun stared at him hard. His eyebrows creased with what Lillie thought to be irritation. “Do you know what day it is today?”

“What does it have to do with -“

“Today is the First Champion’s birthday.” Sun cut in. His red eyes challenged Gladion to interrupt him as he gestured at the bridge. “And do you know what happened in this place seven years ago? No? Then, perhaps Miss Lillie could enlighten us considering she was there.”

Gladion and Hau turned to Lillie, who fidgeted on the spot. “I…um…” What happened here seven years ago? What is Sun talking about…? “Ah.” She met Sun’s intense gaze in shocking realization. How did he even -?

“That’s right, Miss Lillie.” Sun nodded as if reading her mind. “This is the place where the former Champion protected Cosmog and was saved by none other than the island guardian deity itself.” He said. “This is the place where everything started seven years ago…and the place where they plan to end it all.”

“What do you mean?” Gladion asked. “Who are they? What plan?”

“Ultra Team Skull, that’s who,” Sun answered as he turned sharply. “And they’re here.”

Just as the words left Sun’s mouth, a familiar group clad in black and white made their presence known at the other end of the bridge leading to the Ruins of Conflict. Leading right in front of them was the wanted face since yesterday - Guzma. “Well, well. Who did yer boy catch? If it isn’t Sunny boy!” Guzma announced loudly. “Didn’t I tell ya’ to keep guard?”

“I don’t remember giving you permission to boss me around.” Sun scoffed. His eyes flitted to the group as if searching for something. “Seems like you didn’t find the guardian deity in the ruins.”

“Heh!” Guzma grinned. “That Pokémon must have heard ’bout ya’ boi and scampered away like a Rattata. A deity? Hah! More like a scaredy-Meowth.”

The grunts snickered and jabbed at each other, praising their boss like a flock of Trumbeak. Sun huffed and muttered under his breath, just loud enough for Gladion to hear. “Idiots. You know nothing about Tapu Koko’s real power or any of the Tapus in that matter.”

Gladion opened his mouth to speak, but Hau beat him to it. “Wh-What’s happening here?” Hau looked back and forth between Sun and Team Skull with bewildered eyes. He pointed at some of the grunts. “You guys are in jail! What are you doing here? And Mister Guzma -“

“That isn’t the Guzma that you know.”

Hau looked at Sun in confusion. “Huh? What do you mean?”

“That isn’t the Guzma from this world.” Sun clarified, scowling at Team Skull. “That is another version of Guzma. The Guzma from a parallel world.”

“Wait…WHAT?”

The red-eyed Trainer turned to Gladion. His eyes seemingly bore through his soul. “You already met one of them, didn’t you? The other President…or should I say, the other Lusamine.”

If Hau could get any more shocked, his jaw might have already been on the dusty ground by now. Lillie looked at her brother in disbelief. “Big Brother...? What…What is Sun talking about? Mother is -”

“Lillie.” The said girl flinched when Sun called her name. “Remember what we talked about in that restaurant nights ago? The woman you saw back then when you tried to follow me….” He looked at her. “Your assumption was right. It is Lusamine, but not the Lusamine of this world. She is the Lusamine from a world where the First Alolan Champion doesn’t exist and is overrun with Ultra Beasts. A world where your mother successfully created her ideal paradise.”

“No…” Lillie looked distraught, and who is Sun to blame her? He just dropped a series of bombs that shattered everything they believed in up to this point and revealed the actual magnitude of the situation that they and Alola are in. Anyone would feel the same way as her, but for Sun, such a feeling will have its time later. “T-Then, our mother who has been with us….”

“No.” Sun shook his head. At least, he could tell her something to relieve the pain and frustration temporarily. “That was the real Lusamine. The other Lusamine didn’t take her place until the day of our match.”

“How did you even know about this?” Gladion exclaimed angrily. “Don’t tell me that you’re working for her?”

He expected Sun to deny it just to save his hide, even if the truth was rearing its head right in front of them, but he did not. He seemed contemplative for a moment before answering. “Hmmm…was working would be right words, and I was not working for her. It’s more of with her. Though at the same time, it isn’t with…hmmm…?”

“Are ya’ done chattin’ like annoyin’ housewives there?” The quartet turned to Guz – the other Guzma - who seemed annoyed for being ignored for a few minutes. “I dunno what yer babblin’ there, but seeing Sunny boy there gettin’ chummy with ya’ three means only one thing.” He jabbed an accusing finger in Sun’s direction. “Yer a traitor!”

Sun has the audacity to look scandalized. He placed a hand over his chest and spoke in an overdramatic tone. “Oh my Arceus! I got caught! What should I do now?” He dropped the act and placed a defiant hand on his hip. “What makes you think that, Guzma? That I am a traitor?”

Guzma’s ears reddened. “What do ya’ think? Are ya’ blind?”

Sun scoffed as he crossed his arms. “A traitor is only a traitor if they actually betrayed people that they get along or worked with without any ulterior motives opposing to theirs before.” A sneer slowly crept their way on his lips. “Too bad I didn’t qualify to that, meaning I never betrayed you or anyone else in that matter.”

“You -!”

Sun stuck his tongue out childishly. “If I were you, I would give up and crawl back to the Alola you came from. I’m warning you. I’m not as forgiving as you think I am.”

The trio could not process what was happening right now. The proud, ruthless, and apathetic Trainer that they thought was Sun has suddenly shown more emotions and engaged in a childish mockery against someone foreign to this world. Guzma stared at him before laughing. “Showin’ yer true colors now? Ya’ think that’s gonna stop us? Ya’ boy gotta lot of plans in this noggin’. If plan A fails, we’ll go to plan S. So, screw ya!”

The Ultra Team Skull boss snapped his fingers, and the grunts sent out their Pokémon. Sun surveyed the scene before him, counting and taking note of the soon-to-be-battlefield in front of him. Let us see…Alolan Rattata, Alolan Raticate, Alolan Grimer, Drowzee, Golbat, Salandit, and Fomantis. It seemed Guzma brought most of his grunts here. Sun smirked. Good. It looks like everything is going according to plan.

“One against thirty-seven. Seems fair enough.” The red-eyed Trainer pulled out a miniature Pokéball which grew on his palm. He stepped forward on the bridge and called out Cinderace. “I hope you don’t regret this. I’m quite fond of Team Skull, you know. “Sun smiled haughtily. “The Team Skull of this world is much, much better than you guys.”

Guzma snarled at him. “Ya’ grunts! Show this cocky kid how it’s done!”

“GOT IT, BOSS!”

The grunts called out, and their Pokémon surged forward toward the bridge. Under Sun’s command, Cinderace raced ahead to meet with his opponents without any hesitation. He evaded a Golbat’s Wing Attack and kicked an Alolan Raticate right on the face. The Mouse Pokémon flew back toward some of its teammates, knocking them out like pins in a bowling session. A Fomantis tried to sneak behind Cinderace with a Razor Leaf, but the latter simply jumped up and struck down an approaching Golbat with High Jump Kick. The Golbat slammed down against the Fomantis, causing both to fall to the rushing river below. Cinderace struck a Drowzee, preparing to use Hypnosis with a Pyro Ball, and nimbly dodged a Sludge Bomb from a Grimer. One by one, the Team Skull’s Pokémon fell, and none could land even a graze on the agile and powerful Striker Pokémon.

The gap between the power of one Cinderace and the discordant teamwork of thirty-seven Pokémon was too much. Gladion, Hau, and Lillie could only watch in awe as Sun and Cinderace battled in perfect synchrony, to the point that Sun did not even need to give a command for Cinderace to move. It was as if they trusted each other so much that words were no longer necessary, and they could thoroughly read each other’s thoughts.

Gladion understands now that Sun’s smug confidence was not because he thinks highly of himself, but because he believes and trusts his Pokémon completely like how they trust him. The way he battled reminds him of Moon. No, it is exactly like hers, if not more refined. With one final Pyro Ball, Cinderace took down the last of his opponents, forcing the grunts to call back their fainted Pokémon and backed toward their boss like kicked Rockruff under the rain.

“Boss, what should we do? He’s too powerful!”

“He’s mockin’ us, Team Skull!”

“Do somethin’, boss!”

Sun huffed. He expected this much. Once the grunts get a beating of their lifetime, they will hide behind Guzma. They only show their dull fangs to those weaker than them, but when faced with a formidable opponent, they will run away with their tails tucked between their legs. “Are you done?” He called out.

Guzma turned to him with a face red in anger and humiliation. “Ya’ brat! How dare ya’!” He stomped and pointed at the remaining three grunts who had yet to fight. “Ya’ three! Bring out yer Pokémon NOW!”

Three flashes of blue revealed a Salazzle, an Alolan Muk, and a Crobat. From the pocket of his baggy pants, Guzma called out Golisopod. “I’ll show ya’.” He pulled a black Z-Crystal with a crazed grin. Sun immediately tensed up at the sight of the crystal.

“You-!” Sun exclaimed angrily. “Don’t do it! If you do that, Golisopod will -“

“SHUT UP!” Guzma shouted. “I’m the hated boss who beats you down, and beats you down, and never lets up! I’m Big Bad Guzma and a twerp like ya’,” He inserted the Z-Crystal on a Z-Power Ring on his right wrist. “I’m gonna pound to dust!”

Light pulsed around Guzma and the three grunts and was absorbed into their Z-Crystals. It infused to the four Pokémon in the form of a purple aura. Now, he has finally lost it. That idiot sacrificed his partner for temporary power. Sun clicked his tongue and reached for his pocket but paused when Cinderace glanced at him behind his shoulder. There was a moment of understanding between the two, and Sun looked at the trio standing not far behind him.

“Are you guys going stand there or what?” Sun called out. “You got intruders from another world plotting to wreck this world, and the future Aether President and the current Champion are just standing behind me like a pack of Slowpoke? Gee! No wonder they got here in the first place.”

Gladion scowled at him. “Don’t tell me what to do.” He stepped beside him and called out Silvally. “I’ll be helping you this once, but don’t think I’m going to let you go after this. I got a lot of questions, and you’re answering all of them.”

Shiron jumped next to Silvally as Lillie and Hau slid next to Gladion. The Champion sent out Decidueye with an excited grin. “Count us in! It’s been a while since the three of us teamed up like this.”

“Oh? Sunny boy callin’ for backup? Now’s that somethin’!” Guzma laughed. “Don’t tell me yer ’fraid of fightin’ me solo?”

Sun looked back at him. “You know, Guzma, I’m an idiot.” The trio whipped their heads toward him with faces that clearly said, Did I just hear that right? The red-eyed Trainer simply ignored them and continued. “Back then, I thought I could do everything, have to do everything, without anyone’s help. Why? Because there are very, very high expectations I need to achieve.”

He sighed, and there was an almost nostalgic tone in his voice. “Turns out I’m just the one who made them. There are expectations, yes, but they are not far-fetched as I once made them out to be, and that bit me back real hard.” He groaned frustratedly. “Honestly, I want to hit my younger self at the head. I’m really an idiot. The worst idiot in existence. I’m even worse than Gladion here in his dumb and emo days.”

“HEY!”

“But that was a long time ago,” Sun said, tugging his gloves. “Now, I’m here, and I finally got a ‘go’ signal after waiting for four annoying months. I can finally let loose and kick your ass,” He cracked his knuckles and grinned a bit too enthusiastically for anyone’s taste. “Without anyone telling me to hold back.”

Chapter 23: To Repeat History (Part 1)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Never did Gladion think that he would fight alongside Sun.

Ever since their eyes met during Akala’s festival, he promised he would catch Sun and make him spill his secrets no matter what. Now standing side-by-side with his not-really rival and fending off against a parallel version of Guzma and his goons presented him with a new perspective. The Universe or the Multiverse (considering there are many other worlds out there) loves to make fun of him and twist things to borderline frustrating. He prefers simple, and complexities only ruin his day. Much like his still-existing feelings for the former Champion, though he would not admit it out loud.

Gladion felt the air grow cold as a veil of rainbow-colored light danced around them. Shiron cast Aurora Veil just in time to slow down Crobat’s Wing Attack while Hau’s Decidueye countered the attack with Razor Leaf. Sun’s voice rose in volume against the chaotic battle. “Get lively, you three!” He shouted. “Don’t let their attacks make contact with your partners if you don’t want them to get infected!”

“What is that purple aura even?” Hau asked, covering his face as the aerial battle between the two bird Pokémon whipped up dust in the area. “It’s like the aura from the Z-Moves, but it feels weird.”

Sun shouted for Cinderace to avoid Golisopod’s Liquidation. The Striker Pokémon ducked and kicked the Bug and Water-type Pokémon right on his soft belly. Golisopod staggered back, having received severe damage from the counterattack. “It’s the corrupted version of it.” He answered. “Just like the Z-Crystals found all over Alola, it is from Necrozma itself, or more specifically, these are parts of it. The only difference was that these were formed after Necrozma lost its light and went to a deep slumber. These remnant crystals hold Necrozma’s wrath and pain, which consumes any Pokémon the Z-Crystal’s power is directed to.”

“Is that why the Pokémon exposed to it went berserk?”

“That’s right.” Sun nodded grimly. “The anger, pain, and suffering that Necrozma felt - all are transferred to the Pokémon the Z-Crystal is used to.” He clenched his fists. “Those Pokémon did not lose their mind because of the power. They lost their mind because of the pain and suffering they were subjected to. Those forced feelings and emotions are not the ordinary kind either. They are of betrayal, and no Pokémon or Ultra Beast is immune to it.”

Gladion whipped his head to Sun. “Don’t tell me…the reason they’re looking for Tapu Koko is that they want to use the Z-Crystal on it?” He hoped he was wrong, but the tightness on Sun’s jaw answered his question. “Unbelievable! How could they? This is one of the guardian deities we’re talking about!”

“The ship containing the majority of the corrupted Z-Crystals is already in the hands of the Interpol.” Gladion wanted to ask how in Arceus’ name did Sun know about this, but a glance from the red-eyed Trainer told him to wait. Sun continued. “I expected that there are still a few left on their hands, but considering how the Z-Crystals can only be used once, they must be saving them for an emergency.” He glared at Guzma as Cinderace and Golisopod continued their game of Meowth-and-Rattata on the bridge. “Though I don’t think this time can be considered as an emergency.”

Silvally’s Multi-Attack struck a Salazzle just before it fired a Dragon Pulse. Shiron followed up with Tackle before dodging Alolan Muk’s Sludge Bomb. “What about those who got infected?” Gladion asked. “They didn’t go berserk, but there have been black crystals growing from their injuries. Are those crystals similar to the Z-Crystals?”

“They are.” Sun nodded after throwing a command to Cinderace’s way. “That’s how the Z-Crystals multiply. They use the infected Pokémon and Ultra Beasts as hosts. They are like inorganic parasites. If those Pokémon don’t get cured, the crystals will eventually consume and kill them.”

“You got to be kidding me….” Gladion gritted his teeth. “Tell me there’s an antidote or anything that could help them!”

“There is,” Sun replied, his voice uncharacteristically quiet. “There is only one person in the world who managed to create an antidote after many years…and that person is someone you know.” Gladion looked at him with a questioning Who? but Sun refused to meet his eyes. “The First Alolan Champion, Moon.”

Gladion felt his blood run cold. What…? Moon created an antidote? How…? Why? He opened his mouth to speak, but a pained cry made him turn around, just in time to see Golisopod’s claws scoring a hit on Silvally. The Synthetic Pokémon immediately collapsed on the wooden bridge.

“Silvally!”

Before the Hard Scale Pokémon could attack the Synthetic Pokémon again, Cinderace pushed him back with Bounce, blocking his path as he landed down between the two Pokémon.

No...no no no! Gladion tried to run toward his partner Pokémon, but Sun blocked his path. “Get out of my way!” He asked furiously. “Silvally is -“

“Do you think getting hurt too will help Silvally right now?” Sun asked. “Keep your head in the battle, Gladion. It isn’t over yet!” He then turned to Lillie and Hau, just in time for Decidueye to knock Crobat out of the sky and the fight. “I’ll leave the other two to both of you! Help me create an opening for Gladion here.”

“Got it!”

“Cinderace, don’t let Golisopod get near Silvally!” From his pocket, Sun pulled out four miniature Pokéballs. The Pokéballs are not anything that Gladion has ever seen. They are entirely white with blue, glowing lines similar to that of a Great ball running on both the top and bottom halves of the Pokéball. He thrust them to Gladion’s hands. “Take these. These are specialized Pokéballs. The professor who made them called them X-Snag Balls, but they’re still prototypes. Use that to catch those four Pokémon. They may be already caught but catching them again is possible with these Pokéballs.”

Gladion scowled at him. “Why catch them again? What for?”

“Oh! I don’t know. Maybe to get them cured?” Sun rolled his eyes at him. “Even if we defeat them, they could recover and go on a rampage. Again.” He jabbed a finger to Ultra Team Skull. “Those are idiots who forgot that once you used the corrupted Z-Crystals, they will not be able to call back their Pokémon to their Pokéballs until they get cured.”

Sun stepped forward. “They may be their Pokémon, but I refuse to see any Pokémon from any world in so much pain.” He looked over his shoulder and smirked. “So, better brush those catching skills, Gladion. I’ll leave watching my back to you.’”

The older Aether sibling narrowed his eyes and glanced at Silvally. Cinderace was guarding the injured Synthetic Pokémon while cautiously fending against Golisopod’s attacks. He wanted to get to his partner’s side immediately, but Sun was right. He will get caught in the fight and make matters worse. He pressed the button on one of the X-Snag Pokéballs, and it grew on his palm.

“Don’t tell me what to do.”

With that, he threw one to the fainted Crobat with a perfect aim. It shook to the side three times before three, tiny stars popped above, confirming the catch.

Show-off. Sun smiled before turning back to his Pokémon. Cinderace has managed to hold off against Golisopod successfully, but he knew that would not last long. Usually, the battle would have already finished by now, given his Pokémon’s training and battle experience. Still, with the corrupted Ultra Aura now infused to Golisopod, things have become more complicated. Not far from Cinderace, Shiron and Decidueye are still locked in a double battle against Salazzle and Alolan Muk. The tides of battle are still in their favor, but the red-eyed Trainer knew that would not last long. They need to wrap this up quickly.

“Cinderace, use Pyro Ball!” At his command, the Striker Pokémon kicked a pebble and ignited it into a flaming ball. He kicked it toward Golisopod’s direction, but the Hard Scale Pokémon blocked it with his armor plates with ease.

Guzma laughed. “What was that? A fire move?” He mocked. “Ya’ think that can hurt Golisopod just ’cause he’s a Bug-type?” He glared on Sun. “Are ya’ lookin’ down on us, brat?”

“Who said that was meant as an attack?” Sun jeered. It was only then that Guzma saw Cinderace closing in as the flames dissipated. A move he has the honor to watch and learn from a particular Bug-type Trainer. Golisopod made a mistake by removing his armored claws in front of his vulnerable spot. “Cinderace, Bounce!”

The Striker Pokémon pushed himself up to the air and kicked powerfully against Golisopod’s chest. The Hard Scale Pokémon staggered back, but Cinderace went in for another Bounce before he could recover. “Don’t let it recover! Pummel it again with Bounce!”

“DAMN YOU!” Guzma tried to issue an order, but Golisopod seemingly ignored him and tried a different move which Cinderace countered with ease and hit him with another Bounce. It went on for almost a minute before Golisopod was forcefully pushed back at the other end of the Plank Bridge.

Sun knew what was happening. As the seconds ticked by with Golisopod under the influence of the corrupted Ultra Aura, the more the Pokémon will recognize everything and everyone around him as enemies. This is the price you paid for power, Guzma, the curse that you subjected your Pokémon in. Not far from them, Lillie and Hau have successfully taken down Alolan Muk with their partners, and Gladion captured it almost immediately without fail.

“I’d warned you, Guzma, but you didn’t listen,” Sun spoke. “You’re backed in a corner. What are you going to do? If I were you, it would be better to surrender.”

“Wh-” Guzma staggered back as if he was hit. He reached out and gripped his hair. “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU, GUZMA?”

He gnashed his teeth as he screamed. “Shut up! Ya’ know nothin’! The President’s the only one who recognized my skills. Not those high n' mighty Kahunas! Not those stupid Tapus! I’m supposed to become Captain, but I failed that dumb Island Challenge n’ everybody’s talkin’ ’bout it! I don’t care if I have to burn this world. I will do it fer the President!”

Sun gritted his teeth. “OPEN YOUR EYES!” He yelled. “You’re being manipulated! Do you really believe that Lusamine thinks highly of you? You’re just a tool for her to use! She never saw your potential as a Trainer at all! Are you happy with that, huh, Guzma? Are you happy being used like that?”

“YA’ PUNK! DON’T TALK LIKE YA’ KNOW-”

“YOU’RE JUST RUNNING AWAY!” Guzma froze, and Sun seized this opportunity to continue. “You and the Guzma of this world are the most powerful Bug Pokémon Trainers I’ve ever met! So, what if you failed the Island Challenge? Who cares if you didn’t become Captain? What’s keeping you from taking a better path?”

“Y-Ya’ know nothin’!” Guzma stepped back, pulling and tearing his hair. “YA’ KNOW NOTHIN’! SHUT UP!”

“Stop hurting yourself! Stop running away! You’re never a failure! I know you know the truth, and I know that you want to break free from Lusamine. So, do it!”

“SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT-”

“GUZMA!” Sun’s voice rang loud and clear, even amidst the large THUMP! as Ultra Team Skull’s Salazzle finally succumbed to defeat. “Live for yourself! Live the way you wanted and not what others wanted! If you can’t forget the past, then break from it. If you can’t leave it behind, then face it. You are never alone! Team Skull’s your family. You’re the Big Bad Boss of Team Skull, SO BE FREE!”

Because this is the only way you can save yourself and become happy. Sun wanted to say, but he pushed it back as Guzma collapsed on his knees. He closed his eyes, barely listening to his frantic heartbeat as the pained sobs and shouts of the Ultra Team Skull leader filled the forest. He only opened them to watch quietly as the grunts surrounded Guzma and hugged him tightly. He said nothing. He does not have to. This is something Guzma has to sort out by himself. But not alone. He has people who genuinely care about him.

Sun glanced at Gladion, Lillie, and Hau, who all were also watching the scene unfold. He felt a pang on his chest and turned his face away. Do not let them see through you. He reminded himself as he gripped the front of his jacket. Not yet. He reached for Cinderace’s Pokéball, but a familiar cry snapped her head to attention.

Golisopod was no longer paying attention to Cinderace and lumbered toward Guzma with a few steps. The Hard Scale Pokémon loomed menacingly above his Trainer - all recognition and reason are gone from his white eyes. Guzma pushed back the closest grunts behind him, shielding them from whatever the berserk Pokémon was about to do. He opened his mouth to call his Pokémon, but his voice was spent.

“STOP!”

Sun ran toward them just as the Hard Scale Pokémon raised his claws. He is not going to make it! Before he could reach the bridge halfway, Golisopod brought down his claws with the intention to kill.

Notes:

If I were being trigger-happy when I wrote this, the alternate scene is Guzma following after Lusamine in her descent to insanity. Probably in another fanfiction.

Chapter 24: To Repeat History (Part 2)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sun skidded to a stop and stared ahead with wide eyes. It happened so fast that he only realized what happened when a yellow figure materialized between Golisopod and Guzma. The claws of the Hard Scale Pokémon never rend his Trainer’s flesh but instead was blocked by an impenetrable, yellow shell. Guzma looked up in disbelief and stole the name right off their lips.

“T-Tapu Koko…!”

The guardian deity of Melemele Island hovered before Guzma with the right side of its shell blocking the berserk Pokémon. Sparks crackled at the point of contact between the two Pokémon. Golisopod roared as he tried to overpower the Land Spirit Pokémon, but an electric shock ran through Tapu Koko, electrocuting the Bug and Water-type Pokémon at point zero. Golisopod staggered back, receiving significant damage from the super effective move.

Sun was stunned that he did not notice Gladion running past him toward Silvally. The older Aether sibling almost stumbled as he knelt beside his partner Pokémon and placed a hand on its body. The two long wounds were deep and almost running parallel across the side of the Synthetic Pokémon. Just like the wounds inflicted by berserk Pokémon on the victims, they glowed in an eerie shade of purple.

“S-Silvally!” Gladion’s voice cracked as he called out his partner’s name. This cannot be happening... The Synthetic Pokémon lay unmoving on the same spot, and that alone is not right. He dug his hand in its mane and pressed two fingers on the side of its neck. There is a pulse – Thank the Tapus! – but it was weaker than it should be. It is his fault! He gritted his teeth. If only he paid more attention –

“Hey.” Gladion flinched when a hand landed firmly on his shoulder. He looked up to see Sun standing right beside him. The red-eyed Trainer must have followed suit while keeping an eye out to the berserk Pokémon. “Call Silvally back to its Pokéball and bring him to a Pokémon Center,” Sun said. His voice was uncharacteristically soft and even. “I’ll buy you time to get to safety.”

Gladion probed his words for…what exactly? He had only known the guy for less than two months, and most of their interactions were more confrontational than friendly. It will take more than just allying with him in a battle for less than fifteen minutes to build a decent amount of trust between them.

Sun seemingly picked up on his thoughts. “Look. You don’t trust me. I get it.” Sun said. “But right now, Silvally needs its Trainer. It needs you.” He nodded in Hau and Lillie’s direction. “Your sister and the Champion are here, and I don’t plan on running away like a scaredy-Meowth. I’ll meet you tonight…at least, trust me on that one.”

Gladion glanced at Sun’s hand on his shoulder, then back at Silvally. He let out an annoyed sigh and shrugged the other’s hand away. He pulled out Silvally’s Pokéball and called the Synthetic Pokémon back. Its still, injured body glowed in red light before completely withdrawing to the Pokéball. Sun stepped back as the older Aether sibling stood up and glared at him, or at least tried to, despite the exhaustion finally setting in at the edges of his chartreuse green eyes.

“Silvally’s going to be okay,” Sun spoke as Gladion brushed past him. It was not a question or a suggestion, it was a statement, and the red-eyed Trainer said it with a certain degree of confidence. “So, don’t worry.”

Gladion said nothing as he stepped in front of Hau and Lillie. They opted to stay back to guard their only exit should the situation goes more awry than it already is. They are worried, Gladion could tell, but a look of understanding passed between the three of them. Since Moon left, it was the three of them that stuck close. They watched each other’s backs and comforted each other in their ways. Right now, Gladion trusts them to hold the fort, and they trust him to call in reinforcements.

Lillie reached out and squeezed his hand. There were no words spoken, but her eyes told him enough.

Go.

Gladion gave a slight nod and turned to the way they came from in Mahalo Trail. The silence left from his wake was only shattered by the sharp sound of Golisopod’s claws striking Tapu Koko’s shell repeatedly to no avail. The Land Spirit Pokémon has not moved from its spot in front of parallel Guzma, still shielding him and his grunts from the berserk Hard Scale Pokémon. It seemed to be aware of the situation and kept a careful eye not to get grazed by its opponent. Occasionally, it sends out bouts of electricity whenever Golisopod gets too close for it to block his attacks.

Hau and Lillie ran up to Sun with Decidueye and Shiron at tow. The red-eyed Trainer has his eyes trained ahead, watching the one-sided battle with an unreadable expression. “Cinderace.” He finally spoke. His partner Pokémon glanced behind his shoulder at the sound of his name. “The next time Tapu Koko uses an Electric move, follow up with Bounce. Strike just hard enough for Golisopod to lose balance. After that,” He took off his jacket and tied it around his waist. “I’ll handle the rest.”

Cinderace seemed to know what his Trainer was going to do and nodded. He crouched to a sprinter position, readying himself for the said opportunity to attack. Hau and Lillie could only watch in confusion as Sun reached to the leather fanny bag attached around his lower back and pulled out a brown and green curved device that looked like a complicated, rounded nutcracker. With a flick of a lever, the device unfolded and sprung into a full bow half the height of Sun. A quiver was attached on his back, which seemed to be almost empty that none of them noticed it until Sun removed his jacket, and he drew out an arrow.

Hau was about to ask what in the world is Sun planning to do and if he was seriously going to shoot at Golisopod when their awaited chance to strike arrived. There was a bright flash of yellow as Tapu Koko finally unleashed a powerful Thunderbolt, and the couple just turned around in time for Cinderace’s Bounce to hit Golisopod within a split second after the Thunderbolt. A movement was caught at the corner of their eyes as Sun nocked the arrow and aimed at the staggering Golisopod without any deliberation. The Hard Scale Pokémon screeched as the arrow struck right at the softer section of his chest where one of his smaller forearms was attached.

However, his disorientation was short-lived as he lunged toward Sun at a speed that his species should not possess and swiped at the Trainer. The red-eyed Trainer barely avoided getting mauled when Tapu Koko swooped in and snatched Sun out of the Bug and Water-type Pokémon’s reach. They stumbled on the bridge, almost careening to the side if it were not for Sun grabbing onto the railing and hitting his back on the wood hard.

It took Sun seconds to regain his bearings and a few more to process that Golisopod was looming over him with a sword made of water clutched between his claws. They would have been freshly sliced Pinap berry if he did not block the attack with his bow. The power struggle lasted only for two seconds when a High Jump Kick met the side of Golisopod’s head. The Hard Scale Pokémon broke away but was still unwilling to faint. Cinderace landed between them as Sun hauled himself to his feet with one arm wrapped protectively around Tapu Koko against his chest.

Five seconds more.

Sun narrowed his eyes at Golisopod, who lumbered toward their direction. His movement has gotten sluggish – a sign that the potent sedative has begun its work. He could have tried administering it earlier, but it would not work as efficiently if they did not weaken Golisopod first.

Three…two…

Sun counted in his head as they watched quietly. Neither he nor Cinderace moved from their spot even as Golisopod towered menacingly before them. 

One.

Before the Hard Scale Pokémon could attack, his legs gave out, and he collapsed on the bridge just beside Sun’s feet. There was a moment of stillness as everyone stared silently at the sleeping Pokémon. For Sun’s part, he finally let out a breath of relief that he had been holding in since the start of the whole ordeal. That, however, did not last long as he looked down at the guardian deity lying limp in his arms.

No…” Two elongated wounds ran across the exposed back of the Land Spirit Pokémon. The very same wounds that Golisopod has inflicted on Silvally earlier. Sun’s fingers brushed lightly against the wounds as disbelief and horror contorted his expression. Blood roared in his ears as realization struck him – a flashback of what led to this situation. Golisopod’s claws got Tapu Koko when…when it saved me.

“Take down Tapu Koko. Once you succeed, the other Tapus will follow.” The parallel Lusamine’s voice echoed in his head. Her sickly-sweet smile imprinted in his mind as she leaned toward him and Guzma. “Remember, an island without its guardian deity is an island ripe for our picking.”

“Sun!” The red-eyed Trainer barely hid the flinch of his shoulders as the Champion ran toward them with Lillie close behind. However, Hau’s footsteps slowed down to a halt as he saw the unmoving Tapu Koko in Sun’s arms. He shoots him a questioning look, but he is answered with a silent shake of the head. Hau felt his heart drop to the ground.

A ringing tone cut almost immediately through the oppressive silence. They all turned to see Guzma fumbling for his phone, and Sun felt bile rise in his throat when the Ultra Team Skull Leader answered it. He knew who called and what that call entailed – both confirmed by the pale, fear-stricken expression of Guzma. The older man met his eyes and opened his mouth in a warning. His raspy voice displayed the fear on his face.

“RUN!”

Then, all hell broke loose. A familiar pressure popped in Sun’s ears as the bright, Alolan sky above them had forcibly ripped apart. From the rift, a creature stepped forth. It was a Pokémon told in the ancient tales of Alola, the beastly emissary of the Sunne and an heir to the islands of the Alola region. Solgaleo. Except this Solgaleo was nowhere similar to the ones described in the folktales. Its body that once shone brightly like the sun was dim with blackened crystals. Its face has lost its regality, now covered and blinded with the very same crystals. A mechanical collar was attached around its neck, beeping in red repeatedly.

It shuddered, opened its maw, and roared. The rift widened and churned into a funnel, swiftly evolving into an Ultra Wormhole as large as the area. The gaping hole unleashed no Ultra Beasts but began sucking in everything and everyone under it. Terrified screams broke out as the Ultra Team Skull members were picked up one by one and tossed around like rag dolls. Trees and plants were uprooted, and the water from the waterfall and the ravine below spiraled upward. Large chunks of rocks collided with the lighter debris as they were uplifted from the ground.

Sun pressed himself low against the bridge and looped an arm around the railing for an anchor. He tightened his hold around Tapu Koko and clutched Cinderace’s Pokéball with his free hand. He called back the Striker Pokémon just as he was lifted off the ground and barely avoided getting impaled as a wooden plank broke free from its nails just beside his head.

“SHIRON!”

Lillie’s shout snapped Sun’s attention to her. He lifted his head and squinted against the dust and debris. Hau has managed to call back Decidueye, but Lillie has not been lucky. The storm easily picked up the small Pokémon from the younger Aether sibling’s slender arms. Lillie desperately tried to reach for her partner and even call back to her Pokéball, but the Alolan Vulpix was thrown farther than the laser light of the Pokéball could reach. Hau wrapped his arms around Lillie to stop her from following Shiron, even as she struggled against him.

Sun closed his eyes tight, willing himself not to see the heartbreak on Lillie’s face as the wind whistled past their ears and drowned Lillie’s screams and sobs. He felt, rather than see the Ultra Wormhole took Golisopod too. Everything around him was being torn apart and pulled into a vortex leading to the unknown. He made the mistake of opening his eyes and catching the other Guzma’s. His grip loosened, and suddenly, he could no longer feel the wooden surface of the destroyed bridge.

Sun wrapped his arms tighter around the Tapu Koko as they were lifted to the sky and debris slammed against him at all sides. He dared to look up at the Ultra Wormhole looming closer at him when a loud cry broke through the storm. A powerful wave of energy slammed through him and toward Solgaleo. The beast of the Sunne let out a cry of pain and was shoved into the Ultra Wormhole. The maelstrom above paused abruptly in time before imploding into a blinding show of purple and white lightning.

For a moment, Sun felt weightless. It lasted only for a second when gravity retook hold. He was falling, falling together with everything that the gaping hole in the sky had not swallowed. He wanted to reach for Corviknight’s Pokéball, but the reality of him falling made his body frozen in fear, and he could only close his eyes as they plunged to their deaths.

But it never came. The cool air of the night sky enveloped them in wings mapped with twinkling stars. The soft moonlight beating in the heart of a Legendary beast dispelled fear with the promise of comfort and safety. A melodious MAHINA PEA! filled Sun’s ears like a mother’s lullaby as he lifted his head and met two red eyes that seemed to reminisce his own. A sense of déjà vu washed over him like the tides of the sea.

The beast of the Moone has saved them.

Notes:

Well...that escalated and de-escalated quickly.

Chapter 25: To The Rising Moon

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Gladion hates it.

He hates the repetitive beeping of the heart monitor, hates the intravenous line attached to Silvally’s front leg, and most of all, really, really despises the fact that he could have done something to avoid it. He should have kept his head on the battle, should not have been distracted by Sun no matter how critical any information he spews out. He should have focused on keeping his partner safe, but what did he do instead? He damned his partner because of his obsessive pursuit of Sun!

You lost Moon. A traitorous voice jeered at the back of his head. Now, you are chasing someone else because you were a coward to chase after her!

He punched the wall beside the viewing window overlooking Silvally’s room. A face that does not seem to resemble him at all stared back at him from the glass. The pale cheeks, the unkempt hair, and the dull, green eyes – are those really his? Frustration and anger bubbled inside him, but the ghastly apparition on the glass was devoid of those emotions. The Gladion staring back at him seemed younger - a hopeless runaway that almost abandoned everything and hid behind the outcasts of the region to escape the clutches of his mentally unstable mother.

Is the other him…the other Gladion has the same face? It was a fleeting thought, but a thought nonetheless. If Moon does not exist in that parallel world, does that mean that ‘him’ is still on the run?

He felt a heavy hand land on his shoulder, and he glanced up to see the reflection of the Kahuna of Melemele Island beside his. “Young Molayne has called for an emergency meeting,” Hala said. “He’s inviting you to join us.”

Gladion shut his eyes and steadied his breathing. He peeled himself from the viewing window, though his eyes remained somewhat glued on Silvally. “...Okay.” He replied curtly. “Right now?”

“Yes. He said he found something very important.”

Gladion considered his words for a moment. “Sun…Sun said that Moon created an antidote. He said that she knows how to cure….” He glanced and gestured at Silvally. “This. He didn’t elaborate, but…do you think it is possible to get ahold of her?”

Hala studied him but neither denied nor confirmed his question, and Gladion was relieved of that for some reason. “That is something I can’t tell, child.” He paused, and Gladion knew that the Kahuna was thinking of Tapu Koko, who is currently confined in a farther room. “But perhaps…we can try.”

The words spilled out from his tongue before he could stop them. “You seemed to be at least certain that Moon will help us?”

This time, the Kahuna gave him a small smile. “Yes. I still believe in that kind heart of hers even after these years.” He gave his shoulder a firm squeeze. “I think you should too.”

Gladion wanted to refute that, but he did not have the energy or desire to argue with the Kahuna. That, and a part of him wanted to listen and believe in the older man’s words. It was strange, really, how a little hope could change things around. He thought that Moon abandoned them, and why should not he? His only rival left without a word, without any indication of her plan to go beforehand. She never contacted them afterward, not even a one-word message of a Hello.

Then, after five years and getting involved in situations none of them wished for, someone said that the same person who left them has the cure to an unknown illness - the very same illness that is now affecting many innocent Pokémon. What else would he think? What else would he feel? He would hope to see Moon again, not just because she has something they need desperately. It is not just a simple crush. Those unspoken feelings - he is afraid that they will spill out the moment he gazes upon those bright, blue eyes, and he could not do anything to stop it.

A shallow cough caught their attention, and both men turned to see Sun standing not far from them. The red-eyed Trainer looked better than when Gladion saw him rushing to Route 1’s Pokémon Center earlier with an injured Tapu Koko in his arms. His ripped jacket was draped over his shoulders, barely hiding the bandaged arms beneath it. A gauze was taped on his right cheek while the shallower cuts on his face glistened with ointment. His cap never left the nest of his unruly blond hair.

“Sorry. Am I interrupting something?”

It was an honest question, but that still made Gladion scowl at him. “What do you want?”  

“I want to talk to you, Gladion.” Sun glanced at Hala. “Don’t worry. It won’t take long, and I’ll be sure to make it worth your time.” He extended a friendly palm. “After all, I promised, didn’t I?”

Gladion narrowed his eyes at him but threw a glance at Hala for approval. The Kahuna considered the red-eyed young man before nodding. “We’ll be waiting for you. If you take too long, I’ll send Hau to get you.”

Gladion tried to hide the grimace on his face but failed. “Please don’t.”

Hala patted him on the back and lumbered away, glancing only at Sun with an inscrutable look as he walked past. The red-eyed Trainer did not seem bothered by it and stepped aside, letting the Kahuna pass by without accident. The two young men waited for Hala’s footsteps to recede before Sun gave him a once-over.

“You looked like you got run over by a herd of Tauros,” Sun exclaimed, not bothering to hide the amused smirk on his lips. “And I am the one who almost got sucked in by an Ultra Wormhole.”

Gladion glared at him. “Are you really here just to annoy me?” He growled. “Out with it. What do you want?”

Sun placed a hand on his hip and sighed. “Yeesh! You’re as uptight as ever.” It seemed that he meant it to be a passing comment, but Gladion heard it loud and clear. If looks could kill, Sun would have been dead ten times already. “Look. I’m just here to fulfill my end of the deal.”

Gladion frowned at him. “But the tournament -“

Sun cut him off with a scoff. “Who cares about the tournament? I’m the one who made the offer, so I get to change it if I want to.” He crossed his arms. “The information I promised, it’s already in the hands of the Elite Four member, Molayne. However, that is just half of it.”

He reached to his fanny pack and pulled out two brown envelopes. “These are the other half. Or at least, parts of it.” He offered them to the older Aether sibling, who took them gingerly. “Your sister and I had a deal as well. I promised to give her information regarding the First Alolan Champion for the past five years in exchange for keeping quiet about what she saw that night she followed me. Those two are everything about the fourth and fifth years spent by Moon outside Alola. The remaining three were already in the hands of Lillie.”

Gladion gaped at him. Lillie made a deal with him too? Why did she not say a thing about it? He stared at the two envelopes in his hands. These are Moon’s…no, he got to be kidding him! He clutched the envelopes tight, almost crumpling them. “What are you playing at?” He asked angrily. “Why are you giving these to me?”

Sun dropped his arms to his side. “I’m not toying with you, Gladion.” He answered. His voice was suddenly deadly serious. “Alola’s isn’t a safe sanctuary right now. You will need everything you can get if you were to fight back against the other Lusamine.”

He slipped a hand inside his jacket and took Gladion’s hand. He placed a miniature X-Snag Ball on his palm, except the design was almost similar to a Beast Ball. “It’s the same as the X-Snag Balls I gave you, except it is modified a bit more. Inside it is one of the Buzzwole that attacked Ula’ula Island nights ago. I took the liberty to catch it. Perhaps, you could find a way to help it and the ones you just caught earlier. The antidote I told you about can only heal infected Pokémon from this world, but not Ultra Beasts nor the ones who went berserk.” He shook his head. “At least, not yet.”

This is strange, all too strange, that Gladion could not take it all in as fast as he should. “Why are you really -“

“I’m leaving Alola tonight.”

Gladion could have broken his neck with how fast his head snapped up. “Leave?” It was supposed to be a question, but there was an edge on how the word left his mouth.

“Yeah. Leave.” Sun nodded as if it was the most casual thing to say in the world. “You will not be seeing me again after this. Zilch. Nil. Nada.”

Something about Sun’s words infuriates Gladion. He could not believe he was hearing this right now after everything that had happened. The red-eyed Trainer did not just swoop in their lives out-of-nowhere but also played with them as if it was just a game of Meowth-and-Rattata. Gladion could not forgive him; he could never forgive him. He could have dropped everything Sun has given and punched the guy right on the face if Sun did not make his move first. The shorter guy grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and pulled him down to his level. It took Gladion a second to realize what was going on.

Sun is kissing him.

The envelopes and modified X-Snag Ball fell and clattered on the tiled floor as Gladion stumbled back when Sun almost pulled away immediately. He covered the lower part of his face defensively with an arm as his cheeks reddened in shock. “Y-YOU! What are you doing?”

The triumphant smirk on Sun’s face was too wide to ignore. “A parting gift.” He singsong. “Based on your reaction, it seems I’m your first. Good to know!”

Gladion gaped at him like a Magikarp. He wanted to say anything, do anything, but the realization and embarrassment of it all were making his head malfunction. Sun did not wait for him to do anything as he slipped his arms into the sleeves of his jacket. “Well then.” He turned on his heel and waved at him. “See you never, Mr. Future Aether President!

“W-Wait! You-!” By the time Gladion found his voice, Sun had already disappeared to the corner. He wanted to scream a hellish ton of choice words, but he doubted Nurse Joy would appreciate the not-so-ear-friendly noise. He was about to punch the nearest wall when his eye caught something...or someone.

Hau was standing at the end of the opposite hallway with a scandalized look on his face. His mouth was gaping wide as he made a noise at the back of his throat. Gladion almost jumped back when Hau regained his bearings and marched up to him. The Champion placed his hands on his shoulders and looked at him dead at the eyes. “Glads…since when are you gay?”

Needless to say, Gladion is going to kill a certain red-eyed Trainer if they ever meet again.


Sun could not stop the smile ripping on his face. He placed his fingers on his lips, listening intently at the boisterous but hilarious banter between two close friends. Gladion looked so damn cute with that embarrassed face of his. It is rewarding to finally see that kind of emotion on his face and the uncharacteristic flush in his cheeks after years of what turned out to be apparent mutual pining.

He could have listened more, but he has other things that urgently need his attention. He walked past the short corridors of the Pokémon Center, only stopping for a moment in front of Tapu Koko’s room. From the viewing glass, he could see the guardian deity lying on the bed. Its face contorted with a tortured expression. Sun has already seen it so many times, and each time his heart breaks for the suffering Pokémon.

He pressed a palm on the glass, barely paying attention to Nurse Joy bustling inside to attend to the Legendary Pokémon. It knows. There is no way it did not know. It was a very brief moment, but he was sure that his eyes met with the Land Spirit Pokémon when it swooped in to save him. He was convinced that Tapu Koko recognized him - the real ‘him’ - and gambled its life for his. It was a foolish thing to do - saving him, a human - but there will always be things he could not wholly comprehend about the Tapus.

Sun peeled his hand off the glass and forced himself to continue his way. His feet dragged him past the reception of the Pokémon Center and to the outside world. The sun was about to set - the Alolan sky now painted in hues of orange, magenta, and blue. He finds it really funny how fast time goes by when you are faced with a life-threatening situation. You became hyper-aware of significant things to you; your attention locked on them alone without regard to others. He could have remained standing there by the doors if it were not for Wicke calling his name.

“Mister Sun.”

Sun looked over his shoulder and stepped aside to give the Aether Paradise Branch Chief way. He shoved his hands inside his pockets as he acknowledged her. “Sun is gone.” He replied with the softest of sighs. “He’s just a mask that has already served his purpose. It’s about time for me to rip that mask off.”

Wicke considered him with a fond expression. The cheerful child with hopeful eyes she once toured around Aether Paradise has grown into a strong and decisive person with a heart of gold. Despite that, there is still that twinkle of undying determination in those eyes staring right at her. “What are you planning to do now?”

“I’m going after Shiron,” Sun answered in a heartbeat. “She should be where the Ultra Wormhole sent the other Guzma and his grunts. If I’m correct, I might be able to find the last piece needed to liberate the Solgaleo and Lunala of the Ultra Recon Squad.” He lifted his eyes to look at the Wingulls flying overhead. “I’m now free to make my move. Mister Looker has already given me the ‘go’ signal. That is why I will be leaving things in your care, Miss Wicke.”

He pulled out his phone from his pocket and swiped it a few times on the screen. He handed it over for Wicke to see. “Miss Anabel will deliver the antidote by tomorrow morning. I arranged them in different dosages based on your report, including those added in the tally today. You just have to administer it per the instructions I sent via e-mail. I trust you already read that, at least?”

Wicke nodded dutifully. “Yes, I already did. I also informed Nurse Joy and some of the most trustworthy doctors in the Foundation regarding it.” She handed back the phone. “We’ll start administering it as soon as it arrives.”

“Good.” Sun nodded. “The supply is exact. If more is needed, I’ll be making it as soon as I return. Please continue watching the other Lusamine. The Guzma – our Guzma – should be on his way with the others soon. Everything is going as planned.”

“Five years,” Wicke murmured quietly. A sad look on her face as she gazed at him. “It took five years….”

Sun’s expression softened to something akin to nostalgia. “Yeah. It has taken that long, hasn’t it? It can’t be helped, but at least, everything we worked hard for is now bearing fruit.” He made a sound of annoyance as he rubbed his hand on the back of his neck. “Really! What a great eighteenth birthday this day turned out to be. Mister Looker and Miss Anabel better treat me with desserts after this!”

Wicke could not help but smile at his expense. “Happy Eighteenth Birthday.” She greeted. “I hoped to give you your gift once you returned. So, please take care and come back safely...Miss Moon.”

“Don’t worry.”

Sun stepped away from Wicke and removed her cap off. With her free hand, she tugged the wig of blond hair off, and long strands of raven black hair fell from her shoulders to her waist. Wicke could feel the intensity of her blue eyes hidden behind those red contact lenses as Sun, no, Moon looked back at her. There was a flash of blue light behind her as the white and gold visage of the Legendary beast of the Sunne made its presence known. The ghost of a familiar mischievous smile curving on the former Alolan Champion’s lips as she peeled off the voice changer disguised as a choker from her neck.

“After all, I don’t plan on making the same mistake.”

Notes:

Alternate chapter title: How to Steal Your Crush's First Kiss While Disguising as A Boy

Chapter 26: To The Past of The First (Part 1)

Chapter Text

How long has he been here? Hours? Days? Guzma could not tell.

When he finally opened his eyes, his sight was met with a blinding white. The room is white, the floor is white, the walls are white, even the goddamn lights are incandescent white, and he wondered how in the world he is not blind yet. He never really had any problem with the color white – his hair is dyed white for the Tapus’ sake – but now it is getting in his nerves. He could now understand why that boy Gladion prefers dark colors, even while wearing his Aether uniform. If Gladion is given a chance, he would turn this place upside-down and paint it black.

Not that Guzma will stop him. Hell, he will even join him!

Guzma leaned against the wall for support as he stood up. The impostor, or the other him, must have thought that he might try punching his way out. Not that he is wrong. His wrists were bound behind him with a piece of cloth, tight enough for it to hurt like hell. He tried worming his arms through to no avail, so he waited.

Sun, no, Moon told him to wait.

The boy that Gladion has been hounding for weeks now was actually the free-spirited First Alolan Champion all along. He could not wrap his head around it when he learned that, when Sun, himself, revealed it when he followed the boy after their match. Guzma even told him about her when she was standing right in front of him! He stopped him, told him to wait for him, and asked him a question.

“Kiddo, wait!” Guzma remembered Sun slowing down and glancing at him. He was panting a bit when he finally caught up to him. The boy may be small in height, but his footsteps are quick and light. “I have a question for you.”

Sun looked jilted being stopped for a question when he was obviously in a hurry. Guzma ignored the obvious because he really wanted to talk properly to the kid. “What is it?”

“Have ya’ met her? The First Alolan Champion?” Guzma noticed Sun’s shoulders tensed at the question. “Before I met the kid, yer boy is a real nasty piece of work. Ya’ might’ve heard ’bout my Team Skull and me. We belong to nowhere, and we don’t care ’bout it.” His expression softened a bit. “But that was before. I met that girl, and I tell ya’ what, she is nothin’ like any of us. She’s a carefree, loud n’ annoyin’ lass, but I respect her. Everyone in Alola does. If that kid didn’t come here in Alola, things would not be the same.”

“And ya’ kiddo,” Guzma pointed at him. “Ya’ strangely remind me of her. Yer nothin’ like her, but I could see her in ya’. Ya’ act like the President’s son, but it sometimes felt kinda forced. Are ya’ tryin’ to run from somethin’, kid? If that’s the case, ya’ better face it. Why? Because that is somethin’ that I learned from our Champion.”

He recalled the strange shift in Sun’s expression. After a moment, the red-eyed Trainer finally decided to face him properly and opened his mouth to speak. The words that left his lips were not what Guzma expected.

“I’m not running away from anything. Mister Guzma…I am Moon.”

The kid looked at him with those eyes, the very same eyes that the former Team Skull leader once met at the top of Alolan League in Mount Lanakila and the eyes that faced him on the battlefield earlier.

“And I need your help.”

Then, Guzma was a mess of disbelief, and Are you shittin’ with me, kid? Wanna fight, huh? Once he got over it, he was all questions, and Sun-who-turned-out-to-be-actually-Moon answered most of his rapid-fire questions with the best of her abilities as she dragged the older man to Ula’ula Island. The former Champion promised to answer the rest of his questions once things settled down a bit. She desperately needed his help, and Guzma could not just say no to her.

Moon revealed the most critical parts to him - like how Alola, their Alola, was being invaded by the parallel versions of themselves. She told him that another Lusamine has taken over the Aether Foundation and brought a different Team Skull - Ultra Team Skull, as Moon calls them - who kidnapped her father, Kukui’s wife, and two aliens. She even revealed Necrozma’s connection to the disease that he heard affected even Hala’s Pokémon. She told him she needed his help in rescuing the four people that she believed could help take down the other Lusamine and help he did.

Guzma might not be an actor, but Moon knew what she was doing. He was almost convinced that she was selling him off to his doppelganger - she is surprisingly good like a professional - but the look in her eyes told him that she trusted him completely and would be waiting for him to come back safe and sound. He planned to do that either way. He is not going to lose to a dumber version of himself.

He walked toward the door and pressed himself against the wall. It is a blind spot to anyone outside yet a perfect place for a lookout from the inside. He saw two to three Ultra Team Skull grunts pass by but ignored his holding cell. There seemed to be fewer of them guarding the place, but he kind of expected it. Moon told him that they planned to capture Tapu Koko that day and infect it with that Ultra Beast disease or something. He was more surprised that the girl was acting as a double agent but was glad that she would distract and buy him enough time to get everyone out.

Guzma tapped a foot against the floor, occasionally glancing at the small opening beneath the automatic door. His temporary partner-in-crime should be coming back by now. A few seconds ticked by, and a shadow slithered through the opening and took a more tangible form right by his feet. The humanoid, black Pokémon was barely the height of his calf. Moon called it Marshadow and is a Mythical Pokémon. She did not catch it, but the little guy has taken a liking to her and has been following her since she met it almost six years ago.

Of course, it would. Guzma thought. That kid is a magnet to this stuff of legends. He was not really that surprised since she had already met all the Tapus at one point and even caught a freaking Lunala. However, this time, she also has Marshadow and another Mythical Pokémon called Zeraora that Guzma only managed to get a quick glimpse of. It seemed to have no interest in meeting other people that is not Moon. She sent Marshadow with him just in case Ultra Team Skull confiscated his Pokéballs.

Marshadow shuffled on its smoky feet and tilted its head upward just to get a look at him. It is kinda cute...Guzma cleared his throat, hoping that the Mythical Pokémon could not read minds. “Did ya’ find ’em?” He asked, and the Pokémon nodded. “Alright… I just need to remove this.” He turned around and crouched to show it his binds. “Think ya’ can take it off?”

The Gloomdweller Pokémon reached out and began undoing the knots with its stubby fingers. Guzma waited for it while glancing behind his back at the viewing glass to see if any grunts were going their way. After a couple of minutes, the cloth fell to the ground, and Guzma rubbed his throbbing wrists. He twisted around, keeping himself at Marshadow’s level.

“Thanks, bud.” He debated whether to pat the Pokémon on the head, but he decided to keep his hands to himself. “Your boy Guzma’s gonna treat ya’ later with malasadas once we get out of ‘ere.”

Marshadow blinked at him before letting out a soft, happy cry. Guzma stood up and pulled out a master keycard that Moon lent to him. Gladion gave it to her, at his mother’s behest, so she could come and go as she pleased. They might have forgotten to deactivate it despite being unused for five years now, which works well to their advantage. He tapped the keycard on the scanning device, and the door easily slid open. Once the coast was clear, they headed further to the labs where the others were being held.

The labs, in Guzma’s opinion, are his least favorite place on the artificial island. Everything looks white and pristine, and it is giving him the creepy-crawlies, and he is a Bug-type Trainer. Marshadow led him past dark rooms and a few more barred with police tape and a sign saying RESTRICTED AREA. DO NOT ENTER. The rooms looked unused for years now, and Guzma could not see anything inside. He has heard bits and pieces, but from the looks of it, those might be where Gladion’s strange, artificial Pokémon was created.

Guzma did not linger long at looking at those rooms when Marshadow gave a small chirp. The Pokémon pointed at the door in front of it, and Guzma peered through the glass. A petite woman sat hunched on the floor, and the former Team Skull boss recognized the flop of white hair and the orange and black jacket tied around her waist. He tapped the keycard and rushed inside. He knelt next to her. “Burnet, hey! Are ya’ okay?”

The Pokémon professor lifted her head and threw a punch right at his face. “You-! How dare you! I swear I’m going to -”

Ow! Calm down, woman!” Guzma raised one hand in surrender while the other shielded his face from the incoming blows. “It’s me, Guzma! Stop! Stop hittin’ me already!”

Burnet paused and furrowed her eyebrows, but she did not drop her fist. “Guzma?”

“Yeah! It’s me.” Guzma eyed her raised fist warily, still shielding his face. “The Guzma of this world, or whatever. The one who got ya’ was another me, I mean, me but not me. It’s a long story, but ya’ better ask that kid Moon ’bout it later. Arceus! Ya’ pack a punch. Ow!”

“Why should I believe you?” Burnet narrowed her eyes at him. “How do I know that you’re the Guzma of this world?”

“That’s…” Guzma paused. “That’s a good question.”

Burnet was about to punch him again when Guzma’s savior graciously intervened. “Marrsshh!” The Mythical Pokémon rushed out of its hiding spot behind a counter and stepped between the two humans. It waved its arms around. “Marsh! Marsh! Marrsshh!”

Burnet looked astounded. She looked at Marshadow, then to Guzma. “Marshadow? What…what are you doing here?”

“Ya’ know each other?”

Burnet stared at him before sighing. “Not really.” She admitted, finally letting a bit of her guard down. “I just happened to see it tag along with Moon years ago, and she introduced it to me. That’s the only time I saw it.”

“Tough luck.” Guzma muttered, wincing at his stinging nose. “I just met it recently.”

“Ah…” Burnet’s eyes darted at his reddened face. Her battle-ready face fell to apologetic. “Sorry for punching you. Does…does it hurt?”

“Nah.” Guzma waved it off and stood up. “Felt worse. Didn’t bleed, so no worries.”

“But-”

“Hey! Save yer apologies fer later.” Guzma held out a hand. “Let’s get outta ‘ere first, yeah? I don’t wanna hear it from Kukui if ya’ get hurt under my watch.”

Burnet took his hand and allowed him to haul her up. “Alright. But I’m not letting you refuse dinner at our house.” She smiled kindly. “Lei’s missing his Uncle Guzma.”

Guzma huffed, though Burnet knows well he is happy to hear that. “Ya’ better worry ’bout yerself. Ya’ haven’t been home fer what? Days? Weeks? Honestly!” He turned around and gestured at the door. “Come on. Let’s get the others. I’m dyin’ fer some sun out of ’ere.”


Everything is going smoothly…or at least, they pretended to. Molayne has reached out to everyone to gather upon hearing that Tapu Koko got severely injured and was brought to the Pokémon Center on Route 1. Nurse Joy and the other staff members were kind enough to lend them a room to turn into a makeshift conference room while they waited for the initial examination results on Silvally and Tapu Koko. They shared small talk while they waited for Gladion and Hau when the room doors flung open, and the latter burst in, shouting at the top of his lungs.

“GLADION KISSED SUN!”

Everyone stared at the Champion before turning to the older Aether sibling, who came running a few seconds after. “HAU!” Gladion looked one word away from popping a vein. “I told you! I didn’t kiss Sun!”

“Nuh-uh! You definitely did!” Hau pointed an accusing finger at him. “I saw you! How could you cheat on Moon? Since when did you like guys?”

“Of all the things -” If Gladion could, he could have punched Hau right here and now. “I didn’t kiss Sun, okay? He’s the one who…!”

Gladion bit his tongue. Everyone was staring at him intently with curiosity, amusement, and disbelief, and by the Tapus! Lillie looked mortified, not because of Hau’s announcement of him being supposedly homosexual, but because of something else. Her face clearly saying, Of all the guys you could have kissed, why Sun?

Ilima leaned forward on the table with an amused smile. He and Mina might no longer be Trial Captains, but their help is highly appreciated among their ragtag group. “But you didn’t deny you are gay.”

Gladion clenched his fists and growled between his teeth. “I. AM. NOT. GAY!”

Hau placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him a serious look. “Don’t worry, Glads. We accept you.” Then, he gave him a pair of sad Rockruff eyes. “But still, how could you cheat on Moon?”

“OH, THAT’S IT!” Gladion would have lunged at the Champion if it were not for Kiawe and Sophocles holding him back. Hala stepped in to break the fight and ushered both young men to separate seats. Once Gladion calmed down a bit, Molayne stepped at the front, and the room fell silent.

“Before anything else, I would like to apologize for calling you out here all of a sudden. I know we are in a dire situation right now, with the attack on Tapu Koko just this morning, but….” He grabbed the laptop bag he brought and pulled out a piece of folded paper to show to everyone. “Last night, I received a letter from Moon.”

As expected, everyone looked at him as if he had grown five heads. “WHAT?” Hau slammed his palms on the table as he stood up abruptly. “Moon did WHAT?”

Molayne let that sink into them first before putting the letter on the table for them to see. Everyone scrambled to take a look. The paper was just a plain, white paper, but the handwriting was unmistakably Moon’s, if not more refined.

“As you can see, it is Moon’s handwriting and signature. I had it cross-referenced multiple times to the documents she worked on while she was still Champion.” He leaned down and tapped his finger on one paragraph. “I’ll summarize it for everyone. She wrote that she was aware of the current situation in Alola. She knew that there was a possibility of it happening while she was still Champion. This is one of the reasons why she resigned as Champion and left the region.”

He pulled back and rummaged again in the bag. “As for the other reasons,” He waved a small, familiar notebook and a black Z-Crystal between his fingers. “They are all written in here.”

“That’s… that’s her adventure journal, isn’t it?” Lillie wanted to make sure. Moon always brought that notebook with her. She liked jotting down the significant parts of her day since she arrived at Alola. She never left it…except when she left Alola.

“That’s right. Moon explicitly told in her letter to find this notebook. I had to ask Missus Selene to help me look for it because Moon hid it. Good thing, our previous Champion is kind enough to tell where it is.” He flipped the journal open not from the front but in the middle. “Bad thing is, the things written in here. If everyone would look this way,” He gestured at the projected screen behind him. Pictures of the notebook’s pages were flashed before them. “You will know what I am talking about.”


August 24, XXXX

I told Miss Olivia that I would be out for the day. I didn’t tell her that I was going to Ultra Space, though. Nebby seemed thrilled to hear about it. I paid a visit to Ultra Megapolis. Phyco and Soliera seemed quite happy to see me, but they warned me that they have been detecting strange Ultra Aura readings lately. I told them I would help. It’s not a big deal. It’s not my first rodeo. Plus, I have my team. We can do anything!


September 1, XXXX

I haven’t found anything about the strange readings the Ultra Recon Squad got since I’ve been busy lately. There have been a lot of challengers. Hau even came by to challenge me. He really, really has gotten stronger. I should train more.


September 2, XXXX

I decided to train my team in Ultra Space. The Ultra Beasts are more formidable opponents compared to the wild Pokémon here. I should also keep an eye out for that Ultra Aura readings.


September 14, XXXX

While we were traveling through an Ultra Wormhole, Nebby started acting strange. It seemed anxious, and it looked like it was trying to locate something. It just suddenly went through a weird-looking Ultra Wormhole, and we arrived at Alola. Well, not Alola Alola. I’ve been in a parallel world of Alola, and lemme tell you that if a Guzzlord went in your world, yeet it back immediately. You don’t want it tearing your world apart just to feed itself.

As for this new Alola, or Alola Number Three, it looks precisely like the Alola I came from. I will have to come back again to confirm it myself.


October 17, XXXX

I finally got a free day! The League’s been in a rush lately. I decided to take a look at Alola Number Three. Everything looks the same! The beaches, the forests, even the malasada shops! Though it’s kinda weird that there seemed to be fewer people and Pokémon around. I asked around, but they just looked at me like I was crazy. It looked like they were afraid of something. I should investigate next time.


November 5, XXXX

Geez! Gladion is sooo uptight! He should relax once in a while. I’ll bring him to Poni Island’s festival next month even if I have to drag him there! I went back to the strange Alola and poked around for a bit. Guess what I found? That’s right! A Nihilego vibing in the grass near Ten Carat Hill. Primarina and I chased it away, and that’s when I saw a really, really large Ultra Wormhole over this Alola’s Aether Paradise. Welp, I guess I’ll be renting a hotel in this world for the night.


November 6, XXXX (?)

I don’t know if time passes by here the same way as in my world. I’m assuming at this point, but I learned some pretty bad news. I met Ilima of this world. Same Trial Captain except he’s going undercover as a hotel staff member (Cool! He’s like a spy in those action movies). He didn’t seem to recognize me (Is there no another me here?), but he was kind enough to tell me what was happening.

President Lusamine has successfully opened a permanent Ultra Wormhole, and now the world, this world, is overrun with Ultra Beasts. The Trial Captains and Kahunas are trying to stop her, but they have yet to succeed. It seems that Aether Paradise is now testing a new experiment, but they don’t know what it’s about.


November 7, XXXX (?)

I decided to tag along with Ilima. I did not tell him I came from another Alola, but I told him I wanted to help. I managed to convince him with a two-on-two Pokémon battle. The more I looked around in this Alola, the scarier it became. We flew to Exeggutor Island, where the people of this Alola evacuated to. Ilima said it was their last safe place. I found out that weird-looking Ultra Beasts are attacking the Pokémon here. I don’t know what Ilima meant about weird, but when I looked at one of the attacked Pokémon, which turned out to be a Totem Lurantis, I knew something was not right. The wounds it received were glowing purple (Are injuries supposed to glow like that?), and black crystals were creeping from the wounds.

If that is not bad enough, Ilima showed me the others. Some of them are almost engulfed in crystals. When I asked him what would happen if they were completely covered in those black crystals, Ilima just shook his head.


November 28, XXXX

I returned to my world only to find that I’d been gone for twenty-three days! I can’t believe it! How could I have gone that long? I just spent like two or three days in the Alola Number Three. Guess I’m grounded for a month then.


January 29, XXXX

Freeeeeeedom! After one month, I could finally go back to Ultra Space! I decided to visit Ultra Megapolis first before going back to Alola Number Three. Phyco and Soliera seemed nervous, and they told me that the strange Ultra Aura readings they are getting have gotten stronger. Their detector could read it from me, even if it’s a whole lot weaker! So, I told them which worlds I’d been in since the last time I went to Ultra Space. They said they were going to investigate Alola Number Three and that I should be careful when going back there. I promised I would.


Molayne paused, stared at the projected screen. “That’s where the entries from front to middle end.” He placed the notebook down gingerly on the table and looked at everyone gathered. “The previous Champion came upon two worlds similar to ours. Her entries told us that a Guzzlord destroyed the second one while Ultra Beasts overran the third one because of President Lusamine’s actions. A permanent Ultra Wormhole was opened in the latter where the Ultra Beasts can come and go as they pleased.”

Mallow drummed her fingers on the table. “So basically, you’re saying that the third Alola is, I’m just guessing this, okay?, is the Alola where,” She nodded in the direction of the well-known trio. “Moon, Hau, Gladion, and Lillie failed to stop President Lusamine?”

“Not exactly.” Molayne shook his head. “It’s safe to say that that’s where the timeline of that Alola diverts from ours, but it is safer to conclude that they did not stop the Aether President because the Moon in that world is not around.” He turned to Hau. “Hau, could you tell us when you met Gladion?”

“Oh, man!” Hau perked up. “That was a long time ago, isn’t it? I think it was in Route 5. I remember losing to Glads before Moon showed up. You were looking for her, right?”

“Right.” Gladion nodded, a bit peeved being thrown to memory lane out-of-nowhere. “The grunts were complaining about losing to a kid and pushed it on me to clean their mess. It’s really annoying.”

“Come to think of it. You were a jerk back then.”

“And you’re an idiot.” Gladion shot back. “What kind of Trainer thinks losing is fun?”

“Hey-”

Olivia clapped her hands together. “Alright, break it up, you two.” Hau pouted but relented while Gladion rolled his eyes as he sat back. The Kahuna of Akala Island seemed satisfied and gestured at Molayne to continue.

Molayne cleared his throat. “As Hau confirmed for us, he met Gladion because the latter was looking for Moon.” He tapped on the notebook. “Now, think about it. If Moon did not exist in this third Alola, then Gladion has no reason to cross paths with Hau, and if they did not meet, that means -”

“That means, I, I mean the me in that Alola, will never team up with Glads here to stop his mom!” Hau exclaimed, almost enthusiastically. “He’s going by his lonesome self!”

“It’s more complicated than that.” Gladion cut him off. He crossed his arms as he frowned. “If I didn’t meet either you or Moon, I’ll have no way of knowing that Lillie has Cosmog all along. By the time I learned that, it was probably already too late. Mother, I mean Lusamine, must have already harvested Cosmog’s powers and opened an Ultra Wormhole.”

“Then, that means-”

“That’s right.” Molayne nodded grimly. “While we can’t be sure if the Moon in that world didn’t really exist or that she did but never moved into Alola, we can be certain that Moon’s presence in the region is the catalyst in preventing the disaster. If Moon was not here in our Alola, we might have ended up like the third Alola.”

“But Big Mo,” Sophocles piped in. “What exactly happened? Moon returned to Alola Number Three the fourth time, but what happened? Based on the timeline, we’re on the year when Moon left Alola. Does it…does it have to do with that?”

Molayne grew silent. He looked at the notebook with an expression like he was afraid to say anything more. “…Yes. Yes, it does.” He answered, closing his eyes. “A tragedy, that is.”

Chapter 27: To The Past of The First (Part 2)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The last entry they assumed the First Champion had written was on a crumpled page.

The paper was dirty and torn in the middle. The handwriting was messy as if made by an untrained hand. Some parts of the ink were splotched, presumably had gotten wet when still freshly written. Unlike the others before it, there was no date inscribed, and it was written right on the very last page of the notebook.


I wasn’t able to save them. Ilima, Kahuna Hala, Hau, Gladion, Lillie or even Tapu Koko. I can’t save them. My partners are badly hurt. Alola…this Alola is gone. I’m scared. So so scared. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.


It went on like that. The rest of the entry was filled with ‘I’m sorry’. The last one was almost illegible, the tail of the letter ‘y’ trailing to the edge of the page. The room was silent, not just because of shock but also of dread and confusion. The persisting question about why the First Champion left her post suddenly remained unanswered, but the entry itself has given them a clue. Their lovable and kind Champion, who always smiled and braved through the worst situations, has witnessed something that has shaken her to the core so much that it made her let go of everything she has in Alola. Whatever it is, it is something that no thirteen-year-old should have experienced.

Everyone almost jumped when Gladion rose from his seat and marched to the front. He snatched the notebook on the table and flipped at the pages furiously. What is it? His eyes darted word-for-word. What is it that made her feel this way? She should not have felt this way! She is Moon! She always finds a way to tease him, smile after battles, and laugh at the smallest of things. She should not have felt this way!

He paused, eyes staring blankly at the pages. “Five…” He murmured. It was a small detail in the past, yet so significant. How could he not have realized sooner? “Moon has five. When…when I last fought her, she only got five of her usual team with her. Her first partner, Primarina, wasn’t with her. She said she benched her first partner to train Lunala for a while, but….”

The blond slammed the notebook on the table. “She should have said something….” Gladion murmured. She should have asked for help! So, what if she’s the Champion? She can’t do everything everyone expects her to do! To hell with being a Champion!” He shouted. “She should have asked! We should have noticed! One…even just one of us…it would have been better! GODDAMNIT!

No one dared to say anything. Their faces were riddled with guilt and regret. Why has none of them asked how she is? Why did not at least one of them dare ask about her troubles? Have they depended on her too much and placed unreasonable expectations on her shoulders? No one said anything because Gladion is right. They are supposed to support her, but none of them noticed nor suspected that something had been going with the previous Champion.

“Hah…” All eyes turned to the Kahuna of Ula’ula Island standing at a corner with his arms crossed. For some unfathomable reason, he was staring at everyone with red eyes that shared none of their feelings. “Don’t tell me you’re going to dissolve the League? That’s a waste of time.”

“Uncle!” Acerola admonished, but the older man simply waved it off.

“You know, if that kid Moon sees you all right now, she would be disappointed.” Nanu peeled himself away from the wall and walked toward the other side of the room. He bent down and picked up Moon’s adventure notebook. “If you’re worried about her, don’t be. She’s been doing well the past years.”

“Nanu,” There was a dangerous edge in Olivia’s voice. “You sound like you’ve been in contact with her.”

“And if I were?” The Kahuna of Ula’ula Island rubbed the back of his neck. “Really, it isn’t my decision who that kiddo reach out to. Whether she wants to get in touch with me or not, it doesn’t matter to me. To be honest, it’s such a pain to deal with her if she’s like this. On top of that, he is also in this.”

“Who exactly?” Gladion demanded. He cannot believe the usually laid-back Kahuna had maintained contact with Moon and said nothing when the rest of them were pulling their hair just to find the tiniest clue to her whereabouts. “How much do you know? Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Eh. It’s not really my place to tell.” Nanu said airily. “It’s too much work. Just ask her, or just read whatever that kid Sun gave to you.” The Kahuna of Ula’ula Island gestured the notebook in Lillie’s direction. “You got them, didn’t you? The documents about the First Alolan Champion.”

Lillie’s eyes widened in surprise. “H-How did you –“

“Sun told me.” Nanu interrupted nonchalantly. “The kid’s been under my wing for almost four months now. I know a thing or two. He also has Moon’s Z-Power Ring and Z-Crystals, if you’re wondering.”

WHAT?” Hau almost toppled his chair backward when he stood up. “He’s the one who stole it?”

“He didn’t steal it,” Nanu answered promptly. “He borrowed it because the First Champion lent it to him. Though, saying it like that doesn’t make sense either. Besides, you’re the one who lost it in the first place.” Hau looked like he was seconds from a rant, so the Kahuna placed the notebook on the table and stared at the younger Aether sibling. “Show them to us. The documents.”

“I…” Lillie’s gaze landed on everyone who had gathered in the room. They put aside interrogating Nanu to look at her with mixed expressions of expectance and What in the Tapus’ name is he talking about? She fumbled for the three envelopes tucked deep inside her pockets and reluctantly handed them over to the Kahuna. “Here. Umm…but I don’t have the other two yet….”

“I have them here.” Gladion produced the two envelopes Sun handed him earlier. “Sun gave it to me earlier.” He passed it to Nanu before turning back to Lillie. He did not want to show his disappointment given what happened to Shiron, but he could not help it. “Now that I am reminded of that, you and I will have a lot to discuss later.”

“I…” Lillie looked down at her shoes. “Yes…I understand.”

Her brother sighed tiredly. “I’m not mad, Lillie.” He assured her. “But we’ll have to talk, alright?”

Lillie pursed her lips and nodded. Across them, Nanu sifted through the documents one by one and placed them on the table. The growing spread consisted of plane tickets, phone call transcripts, reports, and even official regional League documents – all laid out for them to see. He cocked an eyebrow as he scanned each. “The kid’s not kidding. She was really busy the past five years. She’s been all over the place.”

He surveyed the spread for a few minutes. “Let’s just speed through it. Five months of laying low in Sinnoh before going on a journey and taking up medicine.” He flipped through a piece of paper. “She went and stayed in Hoenn for nine months, defeated the League there, and went to Orre for a month to find a professor who could help her modify a Beast Ball. Afterward, she went to Kanto and Johto to participate in the regional Leagues and train hand-to-hand combat and archery under a well-known dojo. It seemed she got a sponsor too. I could guess who they are.”

“And who are they?” Olivia cast him a warning look as she crossed her arms. “Speak up. We’re not going to accept nothing as an answer this time.”

Nanu eyed her at the edge of the paper before relenting. Getting in a fight is too much work. “The Interpol.”

“Wait…the Interpol?” Hau asked. “You mean those two who gave some super-duper secret missions to Gladion and Moon?”

“I don’t know about ‘super-duper’, but yeah, those two are part of the Interpol.” Nanu huffed. “Here, take this. I’m not going to read you a bedtime story.” He passed the paper to Hau seated next to him and the Champion, who was waiting eagerly, accepted it and immediately immersed himself in reading aloud.

“It said here that she spent one year in Kalos and Unova, where she continued training and learned theater acting. Four months in Galar before going back to Orre and staying there for three months. After getting what she came for in that region, she went back to Galar for one month to continue the Gym Challenge there. It seemed she’s studying medicine on top of stomping through the regional Leagues and other stuff.”

The others have inched closer, looking at the spread on the table and listening to the Champion as he read the contents. An amused smile quirked on Nanu’s lips. “Well now, it seems our First Champion is a Hall of Famer seven times and,” He slid a photo on the table for all of them to see. “She decided to return to Alola almost four months ago. That kid Sun was kind enough to include a picture of her.”

The only picture among the files was what seemed to be a recent candid shot of the First Champion. Moon was standing in a crowd of white punctuated against what appeared to be a sports field. She has her arms crossed while looking at something with a serious expression. She was wearing what seemed to be a white, sleeved jersey with a golden logo at one sleeve and had her now long black hair pulled back in a ponytail.

Gone were the baby cheeks and wide eyes that she sometimes takes advantage of. Instead, her features have matured into femininity while intensifying the composure of an esteemed Pokémon Trainer. Her sapphire blue eyes have become sharper, and if the photo were anything to go by, she would have grown a few feet. If any of them were shown the picture without any prior context, they doubt they would recognize the peppy girl from the stern-looking woman in the photo.

That’s…Moon?” It was a rhetorical question, but how Hau glanced at Gladion afterward made it seem directed to the blond. “Nope! I don’t believe that. I mean,” He gestured at the photo. “Can you believe that’s Moon? She…She looks different! She doesn’t look like Moon at all!”

“That is her,” Molayne confirmed. He swiped through his phone and showed it to them. It was a news article, dated about a week ago, from a credible online newspaper in the region of Galar. The headlines read Top Ten Gym Challengers for This Year’s Galar League Championship. Below it was a collage of the ten people, presumably the mentioned Gym Challengers, and after that was a list of names. Moon’s name was right at the first of the list with the number combination 716. An ID photo that looked precisely like the same woman from the candid shot was placed on the top left corner of the photomontage.

“Moon was the first to finish her Gym Challenge and register for the Champion Cup almost four months ago. The event is set a month from now, and from the looks of it, she decided to return here and wait out the remaining months.” Molayne tapped a fingernail on the plane ticket set to fly to Alola. “This ticket was the one I am investigating under the Champion’s orders. I discovered that the details of a passenger from this flight were redacted from the official list. I was told that the Galar police took hold of the information under the regional League’s orders. We suspected it may be connected to Sun’s arrival here in the region but seeing that another League and the Interpol might be involved here, it might not be the case.”

“But what does the Galar League have to do with her?” Kahili, who has been quietly listening to the entire discussion, finally spoke up. “I’ve been to that region for conferences, but I haven’t had any contact with them. I doubt any of us here has.”

“Except for Moon,” Lana said, her hands were folded over each other. “But the question is, why didn’t she tell anyone? If she’s back, why not inform anyone? Unless…”

“Unless she wanted to hide it.” Kiawe frowned and crossed her arms. “She doesn’t want anyone finding out that she’s back to the region for a reason. My guess is that it has something to do with Sun. That guy has always been a suspicious character. I am sure he got something to do with this.”

Olivia turned to Nanu with a glare. “Well? Care to enlighten us? Why did you shelter that kid the whole time and tell no one? You’re aware that he’s under surveillance! You’re a police officer and a Kahuna, for the Tapus’ sake! What has gotten into you, Nanu?”

Nanu met his fellow Kahuna’s glare with uninterest. “You’re right. I am a Kahuna, just like you, Hala, and Hapu here. That’s why I have to do it because it is the Tapus’ will.”

“What…?”

“The Tapus are aware of what was happening, and you know why?” He pointed at the notebook. “Because the kid told them five years ago. That kid, Moon, told them what might happen. Two alternate Alola were destroyed, and one of her Pokémon was inflicted with the same thing now going around in our Alola. She and the Tapus made a plan, and that kid even reined in the Interpol because it is inevitable. Her leaving the region was just a part of it. I might disagree with her actions, but I know that she did because it is her duty as the Champion.”

Hala stepped forward. “Nanu, how did you know about this?”

Nanu pinched the bridge of his nose. This is really getting troublesome. “Because I was there.” He admitted. “When she returned the last time from that wrecked world, I was the one she turned to. It was not just her Pokémon that were badly hurt. She was bleeding to death, but she still refused to go to the hospital or let anyone else know about this. I had to persuade the kid before I could call that Aether branch chief. She would have died at my station if Lunala didn’t leave by itself and get Tapu Lele to help her.”

“Really, that kid was stubborn as hell. Brave but stubborn. A migraine even.” Nanu clicked his tongue. “Anyways, the Tapus gave her their blessings to leave the region. I don’t know much what happened while she was out there in the world, but she succeeded in finding a cure for her Pokémon. You should ask that branch chief, but I heard that there have been plans to send the antidote here, though it does not work with Ultra Beasts or those that went mad because of that Ultra mumbo-jumbo.”

He peeled himself off the wall and looked at them. Their pensive forms reflected on his red eyes. “I said my piece. Are the lot of you done interrogating me?”

The Kahuna of Ula’ula Island was answered with silence. Sophocles tried raising his hand to ask a question but immediately dropped it. Olivia, who was close to seething minutes ago, slumped on a chair with her hands massaging her forehead. Hala was pacing across the room, and even Hau, who seemed peppy earlier, stared across the table blankly.

A chair skidded on the ground as Lillie stood up, excused herself, and ran out of the room. There was a beat of silence before Gladion followed her. He silently left the room, but the tight clench of his fists told them otherwise. The rest remained there, seemingly suspended in time, before Molayne weakly called that evening’s meeting to an end.

Notes:

Moon's Gym number is 716 because the number 7 refers to Generation 7, and 2016 was the year when the Sun and Moon games were released, which is 2016. I don't know any Japanese wordplay, and I can't create a number combination out of the full release date since it only allows three digits, so I settled with 716.

Chapter 28: To The Beginning of Chaos

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Yesterday did not end well for any of them.

There was a lot to unpack from everything revealed last night, and none of them is taking it well. Lillie is not taking it well. Knowing that Moon left the region because of reasons to protect the region was one thing. Learning that her best friend and one of her Pokemon almost died without any of them knowing was another. She can understand the former, but the latter…she could not eat dinner last night. She did not have much appetite for breakfast this morning either.

Her mother, no, the other Lusamine called her, and Lillie has to feign ignorance that the person at the other line was not her mother at all. It would not come easy to her, lying like that, in normal circumstances, but the lies came smoothly out of her mouth, and Lusamine did not suspect anything at all. She wondered if she already knew their involvement yesterday and was just going along with it, but it sounded like it was not the case. Or that, Lusamine wanted to keep an eye on them to make sure they did not interfere with her plans.

There was another meeting this morning, but Lillie did not attend. Gladion just messaged her that he divulged to everyone what was going on in Aether Paradise and everything else that was left unsaid last night. She had left the makeshift conference room first and ran out of the Pokémon Center with no particular destination in mind the night before. Her feet led her to MIssus Selene and Professor  Elio's doorstep, and when the door opened, she fell into a sobbing mess in the arms of Moon's mother.

The older woman, whom she regarded as an aunt and a mother, gently ushered her inside the house and sat her down at the dining table. Her Kantonian Meowth climbed on Lillie's lap and purred to calm the crying girl as Selene worked in the kitchen. The questions did not come until Lillie had her fill of Selene's version of Tapu Cocoa, dried her tears and snot with the towel Meowth retrieved from Selene's room, and eased down just enough to speak coherently.

As Lillie recounted the day's events, Selene held the young girl's hands, rubbing her knuckles with utmost care and gentleness. The younger Aether sibling nearly choked in tears as she confessed everything discussed in the meeting – about how Shiron was taken away, Professor Elio being kidnapped along with the others, the contents of Moon's adventure notebook, and the revelation Nanu made. She expected Selene to be shocked upon hearing the heart-wrenching news about her daughter, but the older woman simply squeezed her hands and gazed at her eyes with emotions that only a loving mother would understand their depths.

"I know." The admission was not something Lillie expected. "Moon told me four years ago, from that phone call. She didn't want anyone else to know, not even her father, given that he's a worrier. I have known for a long time now, but hearing about it from anyone does not make it less painful. It will never be for any parent. I'm sorry all of you have to know about it this way."

"I…" Lillie sniffed. "I…I should have known. I should have known that something is wrong. I'm her best friend, but I…."

"Lillie…" Selene said softly. "Don't blame yourself for what happened. It isn't your fault nor Moon's. It is mine. I know she is a strong and independent person, but it is my duty to watch over her as her mother. I am her mother, yet I failed to protect her."

"That's not true!" Lillie shook her head vigorously. "You're a wonderful mother to Moon, MIssus Selene! I'm sure she'll agree with me. It's not your fault either. She's…" She extracted a hand and wiped the incoming tears on her sleeve. "She's doing her best as Champion. She's just trying to protect Alola, even though she knows the stakes. Moon is strong, really strong. I look up to her, just like everyone else. She's so amazing that I want to follow in her footsteps. That's why I decided to become a Pokémon Trainer to show her that I can stand on my feet like her. That I am not the same person I used to be, and that she can be proud of me as her best friend."

"I'm sure she does, Lillie. More than anyone else in the world."

"But she didn't get to see!" Lillie exclaimed. "She left, and worse of all, she was badly hurt, and she told nobody. She kept smiling, laughing, and joking with us, but she was hurt. She and Primarina almost died! I can't forgive myself for not noticing. I really can't… I'm so sorry…I just can't…."

Lillie buried her face in her hands as she sobbed and hiccupped apologies. A chair screeched on the floor as Selene stood up and embraced the trembling girl. The older woman said nothing, but her sorrow was no less than the child's. Meowth sidled and curled next to the two women, silently crying his heart out with them. The mug of Tapu Cocoa has gone cold, and the night grew darker and still. Lillie barely remembered being escorted to bed amidst the fog of exhaustion. She curled under the thick covers and mourned her regrets until she succumbed to sleep.

When she woke up that morning, she found herself in a room that was not hers. The room was less spacious than her room in the mansion, and the walls were painted pink instead of the pristine white she was accustomed to. The furniture was simplistic and arranged for an appealing yet homely feel and arranged to occupy the sides of the room in an incomplete circle. There was a life-sized Snorlax cushion at one corner that she did not remember having and a Pikachu doll lying next to her, instead of Shiron. A recently used blue mattress was folded on the giant Jigglypuff rug with a couple of pillows and a blanket stacked. The air felt raw and musty, as if the room had not been used for a long time but was cleaned and well-maintained all-throughout the years.

It was only when a familiar Kantonian Meowth nudged the door open and padded on the wooden floor that she realized she was inside Moon's room and was brought back to reality. She followed the Scratch Cat Pokémon out, where Selene was already busying herself with preparing breakfast. She told her that Gladion came by looking for her last night. Her brother was worried sick that he could not find her anywhere near the Pokémon Center and came running to Moon's house, hoping she might have found sanctuary here. Selene told her that Gladion stayed the night as well before leaving promptly early in the morning.

There were little words said and little food eaten (in Lillie's case) during breakfast. The television broadcasted the usual morning news, thrown with not-so-subtle commentaries regarding Alola's state of affairs and what has the League and the other higher-ups have done to address the unusual situation. Lillie does not hate the press as her brother does, but she does not like them either. There are times that they prove to be accommodating and helpful, but there are also times when they cross lines they should not – particularly about the Champion. She understands that being the Champion means being under the scrutiny of the region and the whole world. But still, she resents the press whenever they give out an occasional snide remark concerning the current Champion's performance in a guise of criticism, especially when they compare Hau to Moon, even though they are entirely two different persons.

"Ultra Beasts are popping left and right, and there's Team Skull, who just suddenly made a return and wreaked havoc in Manalo Stadium after Guzma lost his match against Challenger Sun."

"I heard that the police haven't found him yet." The reporter, Chris is his name, piped in. "Even with the Kahuna of Ula'ula Island on the case, they seemed to be making little progress."

"It reminds me of the times before the Alolan League was established." His partner said. "Champion Moon was the one who ended their reign of terror. Do you think Champion Hau is up to the task this time?"

"You know, Rita. If I'm being honest, the current Champion has a long way to go before he could stand on the same pedestal as the First Champion." Chris remarked animatedly. "Don't get me wrong! We love the second Champion, I sure do, and he has the title for five years now! But in terms of…well, everything a Champion should have, Champion Moon is on a different level. A real top-notch Pokémon Trainer! Champion Hau's the grandson of the Kahuna of Melemele Island, but there's a big gap between them. You understand what I'm saying?"

"I sure do, partner." Rita tapped the papers on the counter as the screen transitioned to a video clip. "Before we continue, we received more witness accounts of an Ultra Wormhole that opened up near the Ruins of Conflict yesterday morning. The public is waiting for the League's official statement regarding -"

The television switched off, and Lillie turned to Selene, who simply smiled warmly as she stood up and picked up the dishes. "The news can be tiring, don't you agree? Did you know that there is such a thing as 'too much news'? Why don't you take a walk at the beach? I'll handle cleaning the dishes."

At Selene's insistence, Lillie dressed in the older woman's old clothes and went out for a stroll to the beach where Professor Kukui's house is located. She had not seen the professor for some time, and she was glad to see him and his son outside for their morning walk. After exchanging the customary greetings, she joined them as they shuffled the length of the sandy beach.

"Hala has told me last night," Kukui started as he and Lillie were on the porch of his house after an hour of walking. Not far from them, the three-year-old Lei was crouching down, too engrossed on the Slowpoke basking under the Alolan sun. Rockruff right next to him, as if guarding the child should the Dopey Pokémon try anything funny to his charge. "That Burnet was kidnapped along with the real Lusamine, Professor Elio, and those two from the Ultra Recon Squad."

Lillie pursed her lips. "I'm sorry."

Kukui shook his head and placed a gentle hand on her head. "Don't be. It's not your fault. I was told by Ilima just this morning that Nanu is going to lead the search-and-rescue mission. He might not look like he did not care, but he has a good sense of responsibility and a good head on his shoulders. Besides, my wife is not someone that should be underestimated, so don't worry. You couldn't have known this would happen." He said. "None of us do."

Except for Moon. Lillie did not say it, but Kukui seemed to have read her mind. "Moon had made her decision." He said. "Nanu's right. Even I would disagree with her actions up until now. But if the Tapus have placed their trust in her, what is stopping us from doing the same? We should believe in her."

"I…" Lillie fiddled with her fingers. "I want to believe in her too, Professor Kukui." She admitted. "There's a plane ticket that Sun gave me that said that Moon returned here in Alola four months ago. She might still be here since the Champion Cup in the Galar region is still a month away."

Kukui considered her words. "Do you have Magearna with you?" When Lillie nodded, he continued. "I just happened to read one of Professor Elio's research papers, where the main topic is Magearna. He talked about Magearna's origins, much like Professor Mohn, but in more detail, considering he traveled far and wide in the world more than your father. It might just be theory, but the Soul-Heart, Magearna's true form, is connected to emotions and memories. Perhaps, with a strong bond, Magearna might react much like how it activated with yours, Lillie. We might be able to locate Moon with Magearna's help. But of course, just like I said, it is just a theory."

Lillie contemplated the idea in her head. It is feasible - she has read her father's research regarding Magearna since he bought it from an antique store. There is no doubt in her mind that Zoroark's illusion and her emotions back then made Magearna come back to life. Professor Kukui might not be aware of it. Still, at some point, Magearna even tracked down her father's location using his Z-Ring before their father himself visited Aether Paradise, albeit amnesiac. It is worth the try and is undoubtedly harmless to Magearna or anyone who might get involved with it. If it is possible with her father, it is also possible with Moon.

But how can they do that, considering that Sun got Moon's Z-Power Ring?

"Think about it, yeah?" Kukui said as he stood up. Lei finally got tired of playing with the wild Slowpoke and waddled toward his father with Rockruff at tow. Kukui swept him up in his arms as he smiled conspiratorially at Lillie. "If it works and we find Moon, let's agree that no one will help her out, yeah?"

Lillie could not help but giggle. The cool sea breeze carried the chiming sound of her soft laugh. "She has a long line waiting for her." She stood up, brushing the stray sand grains on her skirt. "I bet my brother and Hau will be fighting for first rights."

"I don't think you would let yourself be last either." Kukui chuckled. "As much as I love our First Champion, I need to give her a good ol' scolding as her starting professor."

"For how long?"

"About two to three hours, no less." He said jokingly. He adjusted his hold on Lei as the three-year-old tried to wriggle toward his Big Sister Lillie's arms. He turned to Rockruff, who abandoned going in circles around him and looked at a distance instead. "Hm? What's up, buddy?"

Kukui followed the Puppy Pokémon's gaze. Even from a far distance, he could see the blot that is the Aether Paradise at the horizon. Strangely enough, there was a gloomy, purple mass swirling atop the artificial structure instead of the bright, Alolan sky. Lillie followed their gaze and squinted at the unfamiliar scene. Rockruff started to become frantic, growling and barking in the direction of the Aether Paradise, when a tower of purple light shot from the floating island and to the sky.

The ground shook, and a sonic boom followed after as it swept across the entire region. Lillie dropped to the wooden floor and clung to the railing to avoid getting blown away. Kukui crouched low on the sands with his arms locked protectively around Lei. He barely managed to catch Rockruff as the Puppy Pokémon was thrown off his feet. They watched as the pillar of purple light snaked across the sky like the glowing branches of a tree. The creeping light stopped a few kilometers past the borders of the islands. Only then, when the tips began to distort and rotate, did the true horror begin to set in.

The branching light was not just as it is, but rifts in the sky…and those rifts are transforming into Ultra Wormholes. Tens, no, hundreds of them dotting the Alolan sky in a bruised shade of purple and red. From out of the Ultra Wormholes, familiar, otherworldly creatures began dropping from the sky.

Then, the Ultra Beast alarms from the four islands blared to life.

Notes:

I hope you guys are ready. Things will get from bad to worse and worse to worst from here on out. Depending on how the following chapters turn out, I might change the story rating to Mature and the tags.

Chapter 29: To The Withered Sanguisorba

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

For the past five years, the same scene, the same nightmare haunted her dreams. Not even once did the memory cease to replay in her head, and every time she cried alone - afraid that the same thing would happen while she was away.

Moon did not try her hand on other regional Leagues out of fun or desire for a prestigious title. She could not care less about throwing the Champion title away from the other regions or becoming a Hall Famer out of her refusal to take the title. All of it was preparation for her return to the region that captured her heart.

She admitted she does not always have a good head on her shoulders – she is known for unpredictability and flair for mischief and surprises – and she would not defend that her actions were the best. If what she was doing was wrong, the Tapus would have thrown her back to Kanto and never let her set foot on Alola ever again. But they did not. They trusted her because they knew this was the only way to prepare for the worst to come. They did not prepare for what was expected, but for the worst. Moon, for her part, tried her best to deliver.

Crouched behind the crates in the docks of Aether Paradise, Moon was reminded of the first time she infiltrated the artificial structure with Hau and Gladion. Though now is not the second time, considering she had entered the same place many times under the guise of Sun, it might as well be, given that this is not the Alola she came from. The world that she went to using Solgaleo’s Ultra Aura homing ability was no stranger to her. She has visited this world a few times, and this third version of Alola only worsens with each visit.

Her last memory of this place was a world veiled purple and red, typically of those villains’ lair in cheap action films she had watched whenever she gets bored in her scholarly studies back in Sinnoh. The lone Ultra Wormhole that swirled above Aether Paradise has grown a lot bigger - it almost encompassed half of the region. Gone were the fires and thick clouds of smoke as the Aether employees and Team Skull tore through homes and buildings as this world plunged into chaos. There were no longer people screaming and running as many Ultra Beasts ravaged the land and made themselves a home here.

What was left was a ghost region - devoid of festive sounds and life that once thrived on its surface. She wondered if many have managed to evacuate to other regions or if they were spared from Lusamine’s grand dream of ‘paradise’. She doubted it – she has seen many taken by the Ultra Beasts and many more who have lost their lives fighting back, some of which she has known for years in her homeworld.

When she and Solgaleo arrived at the Altar of the Sunne, situated in Poni Island rather than in Ula’ula Island like in her world, she was glad that she changed attire before going to Ultra Space. Her disguise as Sun was clear-cut to blend in the darkened sky or hide from any eyes that might be on the lookout. She opted for the same ensemble that she made Zoroark copy whenever the Illusion Pokémon transformed into her likeness and changed her team’s lineup for good measure. While her black clothes will definitely make her stand out once she infiltrated Aether Paradise, she never planned to come and go completely out of sight. She wanted to knock some people out in the get-go. Sneaking be damned.

Moon did not find either Shiron or Guzma within the confines of the island. Considering how time works differently here than her homeworld (which she found out the hard way years back), it is safe to assume someone else has gotten to them first. She did not need to guess who they might be. She recalled back Solgaleo to its Pokéball and searched the island for a possible way to get to Aether Paradise undetected. Fortunately, she found a ship bound to the artificial island and squeezed her way inside a crate full of stolen Ghost Z-Crystals before any of the Aether employees noticed. 

Moon ducked as a couple of Aether researchers in full suits passed by her hiding spot. Her hands itched for her bow that she found in the Altar of the Sunne but reminded herself that she had no arrows to use. Once the coast of clear, she climbed the lift and scanned the master keycard she had stolen or borrowed from the other Lusamine the day prior. The lift shuddered before descending to the labs. If there is anything she learned in infiltrating Aether Paradise many times, the labs doubled as a prison (or a dungeon, if we are talking about Lusamine).

Once the lift stopped, she pried two Pokéballs from her belt and called out the two Silvally she brought with her. A certain blond gave the first one while the other was turned over to her by the twin Champions of Galar. She quickly became friends with Victor and Gloria in the short time she was in the region, who both promised to keep its existence a secret. The Synthetic Pokémon plodded at her side as they sniffed around and took in their surroundings.

“Stick close to me,” Moon told them. “And alert me if someone is close.”

One of the Silvally chirruped, and Moon led the fray towards the set of automatic doors at the right. The change in lighting was as dramatic as Wallace’s vocabulary when she challenged the Water-type Gym in Hoenn. Her eyes had to adjust from the sudden transition from dazzling light to blinding dark as they trudged the metallic walkway. Their footsteps made sounds of THUNK! THUNK! loud enough to alert anyone in the vicinity.

Welp, there goes the element of surprise. Moon thought bitterly as an employee noticed her. Before the man could alert the others, she commanded one of the Silvally to knock him out. They dragged the unconscious body inside one of the laboratories and locked him inside for good measure. They cannot have anyone snitching on them this early. They peered to the viewing windows of the dimly lit lab, making sure that the coast was clear before entering.

There were cages of various sizes stacked in each lab at one corner, and every time she saw them, her blood began to boil. Moon could feel the eyes of the confined Pokémon as she and the two Silvally entered the room. She wanted to free them immediately, but undoing the electronic locks one-by-one will take time, and letting them out will cause a commotion. She planned to get to the control room to unlock them all at once after she rescues Shiron and clears a safe route for them to escape. She muttered an apology as they left the room, promising she would get back to them in no time.

Moon was starting to lose hope in finding the Alolan Vulpix when she stumbled upon two familiar black-clad figures near the end. The Ultra Team Skull grunts were standing guard in front of a particular lab. That alone was of interest to Moon – she was right that the Aether Foundation took Ultra Team Skull - but it was not what made her blood froze in her veins. The grunts were standing in a way that is not Team Skull-y. Instead, they were standing upright like marble statues in Kalos.

The usual ruckus they were known for was not there. Instead, they were so silent that one might mistake them as dead. The worst part, however, was what was on their heads. Two Nihilego were lying on the top of their heads, like oversized, blobby bathing caps. Their tentacles were draped across their shoulders, covering their backs completely. The grunts’ gaze was blank, their minds and wills taken over by the addicting venom of UB-01 Symbiont. 

The image of the creature born from the merging of Lusamine and Nihilego flashed in Moon’s mind. Her heart hammered in her chest as the panic started to set in. She stepped back into the corner and sank to the ground. Her hand shakily reached for the leg pouch strapped on her right thigh. It is okay. She reminded herself. She got the antidote Bill gave her. Six of them. It will be alright. The Silvally that Gladion gave her sensed her unease and nudged its forehead against her side to comfort her. Moon closed her eyes and counted in her mind just like how Miss Anabel taught her. Once her breathing evened out, she patted Silvally to thank it and turned to survey the scene.

They can distract them, but Moon does not think it would last long. After a bit of deliberation, she turned to the Silvally. “Listen, both of you. I’ll deal with Team Skull while you go for the Nihilego. If we separate them, they will be incapacitated, and I can catch them.”

The two Silvally nodded, and Moon hauled herself to her feet. At her signal, they burst out of their hiding spot and rushed towards the grunts. The two hosts perked up in their direction and reached out to their Pokéballs. Before they could call out their Pokémon, the Silvally knocked the Pokéballs out of their grasp with a well-timed Air Slash. Moon closed the distance and grabbed the arm of one of the grunts. She kneed him on the stomach, and one of the Silvally pounced at the attached Nihilego with a Crush Claw. The Synthetic Pokémon pulled back, forcing the Ultra Beast away from its host. Moon pulled out a Beast Ball from her pocket and threw it at the Parasite Pokémon before ducking out of the other grunt’s reach. The click of a successful capture reached her ears as she sidestepped to avoid her opponent’s fist. She leaped away as the Nihilego tried to sting her with its tentacles.

With the host’s back turned from the other Silvally, Moon threw the Steel Memory with a practiced aim, and the Synthetic Pokémon slammed at the Nihilego with a Multi-Attack. The Ultra Beast peeled away from its human host and tried to escape, but Silvally grabbed one of its tentacles with its maw and pulled it down to the ground. The other Silvally pressed it against the floor with a Crush Claw and Moon threw another Beast Ball. The Beast Ball tilted thrice before three stars popped above it.

Moon waited with bated breath, listening for any sound of reinforcements. Once she was sure they were on the clear, she let out a humorless chuckle. Guess she has to thank Miss Anabel for training her to the bone for five years. The Silvally retrieved the Beast Balls while Moon busied herself dragging the grunts to a more secluded area. She glanced at the cameras in the area and confirmed that they were still off. The Rotom that Anabel trained and lent her is doing its job well with messing the video feeds. She gestured for the two Silvally to follow her and entered the lab.

She expected more cages with captured Pokémon for experimentation but only found a lone white cage placed on a testing table. The size was barely a fourth of a Silvally, and she could not see anything inside it from her spot by the door. She rounded the desk, cautiously peeking at the interior of the cage, just in case a berserk Pokémon was inside it.

“Shiron?”

The white mound curled inside twitched, and ears perked up at the name. Big, baby blue eyes peered at her from within the darkness, and Moon felt the thorn on her chest disappear. She crossed the distance and leaned on the table. A weak whimper escaped from the poor Pokémon, and Moon did not know whether to feel sad or happy that the bastards had not done anything to Lillie’s partner.

“Shiron,” Moon called out in a gentle voice, hoping it would calm down the Alolan Vulpix enough for her to see the Pokemon well. “It’s me. Moon. Do you remember me?”

The answer came out as a soft whine. Moon pulled back her right sleeve and presented the Z-Power Ring on her wrist. She hoped that Shiron could still remember her scent and recognize her. She repeatedly sprayed herself with a weird-smelling perfume daily to hide her natural scent during the months she disguised as her temporary alter ego. Looker explained that many species of Pokémon have a powerful olfactory memory, and if a Pokémon she were familiar with recognized her, it would compromise her position.

At least, it did not smell like an old man’s odor. Moon thought offhandedly. She watched and waited as Shiron scooted forward cautiously and sniffed at a distance.

“Kyu…?” Shiron’s ears twitched and perked up, and she slowly peered at Moon’s face. The black-haired girl smiled warmly at her. Recognition lit up in those blue eyes as Shiron bounced on her paws with renewed energy. “KYU!”

Moon let out a soft chuckle. “It’s good to see you too, Shiron.” Her fingers reached out from behind bars to press against the Alolan Vulpix’s toe beans. “Hold on. I’ll get you out of there.”

She inspected the lock – Thank the Tapus! It is not electronic – and called out for one of the Silvally to break it with Crush Claw. The metal grill swung open, and Shiron immediately leaped into her arms and rubbed against her cheek with much glee her tiny body could muster. “I’m glad you’re okay,” Moon mumbled against the soft, white fur of the Fox Pokémon. Her fingers rubbed soothing circles on her back. “I’ll bring you back to Lillie. I promise.”

“Kyu!”

Moon felt something nudged at her back, and she turned to see the Silvally from Galar tilting its head pointedly to the computer. She walked towards it and noticed that the screen was on. She gently dropped Shiron on the desk as she looked at what was displayed on the screen. It was a report; no, it is more like a series of blog entries composed by someone whose ego was bigger than a Wailord. Moon has an inkling of who it might be, and she is not looking forward to reading it. The entries were similar to the ones she had read a long time ago, and she skipped them with the glee of a prisoner who got parole. She skimmed some which are unfamiliar to her until she reached less Faba-like entries dated five years ago. All were under the same title Project Ultra and were typed by an unnamed author.


Date: March 14, XXXX

The Ultra Beast, Cosmoem, left by the first successful attempt to open an Ultra Wormhole, has yet to prove useful again. We found out that this creature evolves into Legendary Beast in ancient folklores and can easily open more Ultra Wormholes. We experimented to find a way to evolve it but failed.


Date: May 16, XXXX

The scouts we sent to the other side of the Ultra Wormhole reported finding another world opposite ours. This world we now dubbed as World Alpha is devoid of light, contrasting our bright Alola. However, there is a glimmer of light in that world. The scouts found that this world harbors the Legendary Beasts spoken in our legends and a unique Ultra beast known as Necrozma. The latter no longer lives atop a tower built to house it, but our scouts brought back what seemed to be remnants of this Ultra Beast.


Date: September 5, XXXX

A new development has brought astounding results. The Necrozma remnants brought from World Alpha, now known as Ultra Megapolls, are similar to Z-Crystals. However, compared to the crystals found here in Alola, these remnants contain an opposite Ultra Aura reading. Experimentation is underway under the President’s orders.


Date: October 5, XXXX

Experiments on the remnants yielded satisfactory results. The crystals were fashioned similar to the Z-Crystals and are used on Pokémon subjects. The effects include heightened physical senses and bodily functions and enhanced combat power and defense. The downside is that the subjects are listening less to orders over time. The President wants to immediately proceed to the next step: using these remnants on Ultra Beasts.


Date: October 29, XXXX

The results of the following experiments were found different. While benefitting greatly from the power of the remnants, the Ultra Beasts were found to retain complete obedience compared to the subjects from our world. Further experimentations are underway to discover the extent of these newly discovered Z-Crystals and the possibility of harnessing their power to quell the locals’ uprising. The title Project Ultra has now been reassigned for this purpose.


Moon felt bile crawling up her throat. The summarized reports were sickening already, but the fact that these all happened on the same year she first found the parallel world was tearing at her whole being. If I discovered this world earlier than I did, would things be different? Shiron let out a worried coo, and Moon shook her head. There is no use thinking about what-ifs. This is now. Now is what I should focus on. She loosened her grip on the mouse and scrolled to what seemed to be the last entry.


Date: February 1, XXXX

Kukui, my love, if you read this, know that it is my fault. I don’t know how I managed to break free from Nihilego’s grasp, but I have a little time left. The venom of the Ultra Beast has already spread in my body, and there is no cure for it. Please take care of Lei. Make sure he eats healthy. Read him his favorite bedtime stories every night and teach him how to become a great Pokémon Trainer like you are. Tell him I’m sorry that I could not hold him again in my arms, that I could no longer be there to watch him grow. I love you both. Every second I spent with both of you was the happiest moment in my life. I’m sorry, and I love you. My Kukui. My Lei.

- Burnet

Notes:

I bet someone's going to kill Lusamine for this.

Chapter 30: To The Heart of Madness

Chapter Text

Moon was running. She did not know why she was running in the first place. It was supposed to be a stealth mission, but there was a ringing in her ears and the blood roaring in her veins. Anger, no, wrath red-hot as magma rolled off her chest, and she wanted to tear this place apart with her own bare hands. No, she will pull this artificial island apart even if it kills her. She will start with the mansion – the very place that woman reigned over – and burn it to the ground. Screw tragic family stories! That is not an excuse for her to mess with other families!

I’m gonna kill her!” Moon snarled. “I’m going to-!“

Before her mind could register it, her back hit the solid wall as something slammed against her. The world spun as something heavy pressed her against the wall. A warning growl snapped her out of her daze, and she looked up to meet the eyes of an artificial beast. The Silvally that Gladion gave her has her pinned, and by the Tapus! It looks angry - angry not because of an enemy, but because of her. Silvally was furious because she had let her roller coaster of emotions get the best of her and charged recklessly like a rampaging Tauros. 

Again.

A nightmarish memory of five years ago flashed in Moon’s mind. Her starter, her very first partner, is lying by her feet. Primarina’s breaths came out in desperate puffs as two deep slashes glowing in purple slowly ate away her life force. The Soloist Pokémon protected her from a rampaging Alolan Sandslash – all because her Trainer was too stubborn, too foolish, to know her limits and back out. 

Moon is no stranger to fear – her first step as a Pokémon Trainer, her first encounter with an Ultra Beast, Lusamine’s abuse of Nebby’s powers, and turning into a monstrous being that should never exist. There was also when Necrozma took control of Nebby, and she confronted it at its true form, and the list went on. But that moment, that very moment, that was when she learned what pure terror means. 

She was alone – Lillie is not there to heal her team nor Gladion or Hau to watch her back – and that gave birth to traitorous voices in her head. 

Primarina is going to die. She is going to die. Her team will die because of her. 

And no one back in their homeworld will know.

Moon felt her throat constrict. She almost did it again…She almost put her team to danger. She reached out and wrapped her arms around Silvally. The Synthetic Pokémon did not move, did not lash out, as she buried her face on its mane. Silvally let her as it chirruped softly and gently rubbed its head on the crown of her head. 

It was there by her side five years ago, and it knows how much guilt and sorrow still riddled its Trainer’s heart. It has seen her shed tears during the night when she drops the bravado of a cheerful and powerful Trainer she was known for and finally faces reality as a child who was robbed of genuine joy by trials and duties she should not have been burdened with at such young age. Her Trainer is small, too small, to be given the weight of many worlds on her palms, and that what it made the gods, be it Arceus or the guardian deities, truly cruel in their reckoning. 

The other Silvally kept a lookout for any suspicious characters while Shiron, who had no idea of what was happening, padded toward the curled form of Moon and nuzzled against her leg. Moon let out a ragged breath as she clutched Silvally’s mane.

“M’fine…” Her voice muffled against Silvally’s fur. “I’m gonna be fine….”

Silvally wanted to make its Trainer stay put, but Moon has already pulled herself away from it. She moved her face away from Shiron’s gaze and wiped the remaining tears on her sleeves. The Synthetic Pokémon let out a soft trill, and Moon simply smiled at it. I am fine, her expression seemed to say, but it knows she did not mean it. Silvally knows it must keep a watchful eye starting now and corner its Trainer later when they are in the safe territory – a place where she can unload her emotions with only her team.

Moon pushed herself up to her feet and dusted her pants. She placed a hand on Silvally’s crest and ushered it to where its brethren were keeping watch. The other Silvally turned to her with a questioning look as she checked the corridor. 

“There’s a place I need to check.” She answered after confirming the coast was clear. Her voice was quiet enough just for them to hear. “It will be tough on the way, but we need to get to the mansion.” 

Moon retraced their steps and entered one of the labs she had visited earlier. Unlike the others, this one was almost bare, save for rows of miniature locker boxes and a central table filled with scattered remains of plastic cups and plates. There was a computer desk on one side and a barely standing pile of documents beside it. Though one or two in number, she has seen rooms like this in her world’s Aether Paradise. 

These are where Aether researchers usually take time off from doing, well, whatever less sinister things they are doing down here in the labs. She bothered not opening the lights and depended only on the corridor lights and her sense of touch as she picked through the padlocks of the lockers one-by-one – a skill she learned back then for the sole purpose of messing with Gladion. She never thought it would be someday helpful in infiltrating evil organizations to acquire a disguise.

After rummaging through lockers of endless paperwork, half-eaten calorie bars (gross!), and magazines that should be burned in Wela Volcano, Moon finally found a set of Aether uniforms just fit for her size. She snorted at the name etched on the lapel. Who names their daughter after a berry? She ordered the Silvally to watch outside while she got changed away from view. Shiron gladly stayed to assist her and fold her clothes small enough to fit in her fanny pack. Once everything was set, she stepped outside the lab and called back the Silvally to their Pokéballs. 

“Shiron.” The Fox Pokémon’s ears perked up at the sound of her name, and Moon knelt on the cold, metal floor. “Can you do me a favor? Can you act like my Pokémon? The employees here have their partners. You just need to act as one of my own until we get to the mansion. Can you do that?”

Shiron seemed to consider this before wagging her tail. “Kyu!”

“Thank you.” Moon nodded as she lifted Shiron and placed her on her shoulder. “Hold tight and don’t let go. Understood?”

Shiron nodded, and Moon walked toward the lift and steeled herself as they ascended to the first floor. She received a few glances as she stepped off the lift, but nothing alarming. Either this woman named Leppie is a newbie, or she did not exactly come out as a person with a strong expression. That, and the whole place has yet to learn that someone has infiltrated the area. Thank Arceus for Looker’s training! 

She strode toward the direction of the mansion with a confident gait and weaved seamlessly through a multitude of Aether employees coming to and from the courtyard of the estate. She was a few steps to the doors when a voice called out.

“Hey, Leppie!”

Ah, shit!

Moon swallowed the familiar fear bubbling in her throat as she turned to see a man jogging toward her. Judging by how he called her by first name basis, it must mean that Leppie and this man are close. The employee stopped before her, and Moon wondered if her cover would be blown right now. 

She has checked the contents of Leppie’s locker beforehand, including her I.D., some documents, and everything that will give her a hint about the person she is going to impersonate. Their appearance, for example, has something a bit common on the major side. They have the same hair color and height but differ in their eyes. Moon hoped that the cap and ominous sky above hid the vibrant hue of her blue eyes. Otherwise, that will really, really suck! 

The man did not show any suspicions about the woman before him. He did not seem to take notice of the Alolan Vulpix perched on her shoulder. “What? Are you just going to glare at me like that? You always do that.”

Scratch that. They are not close. If anything, Leppie must have found this man insufferable. What stops her from acting like a jerk if that is the case? She summoned her best Gladion-esque expression and scowled at him. “What do you want?”

“Jeez! You don’t have to be cold. It’s still morning!” The man frowned. “Is your voice alright?”

“I caught a cold.” Moon placed a hand on her forehead in irritation. “Anyways, I’m busy right now. I have a report to file in.” She waved the folder that she stole, borrowed, together with the uniform. “If you have something important to say, say it now.”

The man pursed his lips. He looked quite dejected. Did she overdo it? “I just…I just thought I could ask if you want to have lunch with me.” He rubbed his hand on his nape. “If…if you want to, of course.”

Oh…oh! Moon smacked herself in her mind. Oh, Tapus! This guy likes Leppie. Well, shit! Impersonating a person is one thing; involving and messing up the relationships of the person you are impersonating is another. Moon never had a problem with the latter, considering she has yet to impersonate anyone before now. 

In her defense, ‘Sun’ is not a real person in her world. It was a persona she crafted with the combination of Moon’s mischievous quirks and Gladion’s emo-jerk personality. The name was given by Looker, which only shows how uncreative the man could be. It served as a placeholder name for a while, but it stuck at the end even though Moon wanted a different name. 

What did Mister Looker tell her? Avoid getting in contact with close-contact people? Well, it is late for that, and Moon will dig her – Leppie’s – grave for this. She opened her mouth to answer when the speakers blared to life overhead. 

“Good afternoon, everyone. It has come to our attention that an intruder has infiltrated Aether Paradise. An employee and two Team Skull members were discovered unconscious on the Basement Second Floor. We are encouraging everyone to cooperate and report any suspicious characters immediately. This is not a drill. I repeat. This is not a drill.”

Moon has never been thankful for a not-so-good announcement before. Even it might spell certain death to her. Taking advantage of the situation, she mustered the annoyance on her expression and turned on her heel. The man – Moon remembered she did not know his name – called out to her. 

“L-Leppie! Where are you going? Didn’t you hear the announcement?”

Moon paused in her tracks and glanced at him. “I’m not deaf.” She scoffed. “I have work to do, remember? If I see someone acting suspiciously, I will report it. It’s easy as that.” 

“But-“

“I’m busy, okay? Do you work or something. Stop disturbing me!”

Moon did not look back to see the man’s reactions and crossed the threshold of the mansion. It was only when she reached an obscured corner of the right-side corridor that she finally slumped against the wall and let out the breath she was holding. She glanced at Shiron on her shoulder. 

“Think I overdid it?”

“Kyu?” Shiron tilted her head before shaking it. “Kyu!”

A chuckle escaped Moon. “Yeah? I did well? Then, Mister Looker better give me an award after this mess.” She straightened up and brushed her gloved fingers on her Pokéballs. She looked back at the way they came from. “The warp to Lusamine’s collection room should be in her bedroom. If my hunch is right, it should still be there.” 

Moon glanced at the cameras – the lights indicating they were still off. They still have time. “We have to finish this quickly.” She said firmly. “Let’s go.”

She ascended swiftly to the upper floor, passing seamlessly a few Aether employees who were there to conduct business with whoever lackey Lusamine placed beneath her. She put her bets on Faba and briefly wondered where the Miss Wicke of this world is. Does she still work here? Considering her loyalty and passion for taking care of Pokémon and her love for the Aether siblings, she might be. But Miss Wicke has her morals, which might be a catalyst for her to turn back from the Foundation. 

It did not take her long to reach the stifling double doors of Lusamine’s room and enter with a swipe of a keycard. Just as she suspected, the warp was still there, and she searched for the controls hidden in the adjacent wall. She owes it to Miss Anabel to show her the entire artificial island blueprint. She felt guilty poking around Gladion and Lillie’s home without their knowledge, but it was something she had to do. 

The glass camouflage faded and the warp whirred and illuminated to life. She did not waste time dilly-dallying. She did not know what she was expecting to find in that hellhole, but she hoped to find that one creature that might help this Alola break free from Lusamine’s grasp. 

Her surroundings glowed before her eyes, and before she knew it, she was standing in a wide chamber of white paint, metal, and bright lights that she was too familiar with. Compared to what she remembered from her world, there were more cryonic blocks in here - the water-surrounded platform nearly congested with them. The ice was very thick that she had to step closer just to see what poor being was trapped inside to satisfy a mad woman’s obsession. 

Her heart stopped when she reached the center. W-What...what is this? Two vertical cryonic blocks stood at the sides of the controls. Instead of Pokémon, two too-familiar humans were frozen in time - their clothes of contrasting colors and sunshine hair were enough to send a chill in her spine. She took a shaky step forward to confirm that they were them.

This is...Moon could not put into words how horrifying this is. Gladion and Lillie - this world’s Aether siblings - were stored within the cryonic blocks. Their eyes were closed, and their faces were serene as if they were not forcibly placed under stasis and simply asleep. The siblings’ appearances had not changed, probably because their growths were stunted. Not far from them, four familiar Pokémon joined them in their eternal sleep - the Tapus.

Moon keeled over as she vomited. Lusamine...why? How could she do this to her children? She did not know how far gone this world’s Aether President was, but this is…She could not stomach to look nor stay here. She has to get out of here! 

The raven-haired Trainer clenched her fists and shut her eyes. She scrambled to grab and focus on the breathing exercises she was taught. She tried to think of anything besides the terrifying room she was in and concentrate on getting her bearings back. She felt Shiron tremble on her shoulder - the Alolan Vulpix was as affected as her - but she cannot afford to console her right now. Moon has to work fast and get out of here for their sanity’s sake. 

“Acknowledge your fears,” Anabel told her. “And confront them. Only when you accept that you’re afraid and weak will you able to go beyond your limits. However, if you cannot, at a crucial moment, then you must destroy your emotions. Otherwise, it will be your demise. You cannot protect others if you’re down for the count.”

Moon took a deep breath and slowly opened her eyes. Destroy your emotions. She lifted her head and stared straight ahead. Feel nothing. She willed her eyes not to stray away as she strode past the cryonic blocks and towards the controls. 

There, lying on the ground abandoned, was a diamond-shaped case of black and blue. She does not want to know how long it has stayed in this room, but she knows that if that certain Pokémon is still locked inside, there is still hope to save this Alola. 

Moon picked up the case and set it aside carefully for now. She produced a modified flash drive from a hidden pocket in her jacket and plugged it into the controls. She fiddled with the smooth surface of the panels, following the procedures she had painstakingly mapped in her mind. The holographic screens whizzed and flashed rapidly in front of her eyes as files after files were copied.

It took her a measly five minutes to get everything and insert a bug stored in another device that would temporarily shut the Aether Paradise systems down at her command. Using it, she could free the Pokémon held captive and send this place into chaos. She wiped any trace and unplugged everything once she completed her task. Moon carefully lifted the case by its hook and swiveled the other way when a voice stopped her in her tracks.

“I finally found you, intruder."