Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2014-07-24
Completed:
2014-08-28
Words:
35,037
Chapters:
29/29
Comments:
4
Kudos:
47
Bookmarks:
7
Hits:
898

Erue

Summary:

After a certain incident, Ling Tong is forced to see Gan Ning in a new light as they finally try to get along.

Chapter 1: Iniuriam

Chapter Text

Ling Tong sighed heavily as he tried to catch his breath. Looking around at the dead bodies of his allies around him, he supposed he counted himself lucky that both he and his lord had survived the mess. Ling Tong had only just barely gotten that monster Zhang Liao to retreat, though the loud general had promised it was only temporary. Ling Tong believed it, considering he hadn't been able to do much damage by himself, which he was ashamed of.

Resisting the urge to sit down after all that happened, Ling Tong allowed himself to close his eyes as his breathing finally evened out, content with the promise to himself that he would stay upright in case anything happened. Not realizing how tired he was, Ling Tong began to lose his balance. As he fell, he noticed an officer running at him, barely grazing Ling Tong as he struggled to right himself. Unfortunately, this man was quicker than Ling Tong, and he envisioned himself with a spear through the heart as the officer thrust said weapon forward.

However, the weapon had halted and quickly moved away from Ling Tong as the officer pointed it at someone else, obviously taken by surprise. Ling Tong attempted to look to where the officer was facing as his elbows gave out, causing him to fall onto his back and hit his head. Closing his eyes again as he rubbed it, he noticed an obnoxious jingling sound coming towards him and hesitating footsteps walking away from him. He held back a groan as he realized Gan Ning had probably just saved his life.

As he opened his eyes again, Ling Tong was greeted with yet another corpse falling to the ground beside him. Gan Ning walked forward wordlessly, which was odd for him, and extended a hand. Ling Tong considered turning away, but the shock of the situation as well as how tired he was prevented him from doing so as he not-so-reluctantly grabbed onto it. The pirate pulled him up a lot rougher than he would have liked, and Ling Tong watched his vision turn black. He assumed it was just the blood rushing to his head, but he felt himself being caught before the rest of his senses failed him as well.


 

Ling Tong awoke and looked around, surprised to find himself in his own room. He considered sitting up, but sighed as he considered he might faint again. How long had he been asleep, he wondered? Before he could decide to get up and ask around, the door to his room was opened rather quietly.

"Oh, you're awake already?" The voice made him scowl reflexively.

"What do you mean, already?" Ling Tong asked, slightly annoyed, as was his default mood around the pirate, "How long have I been asleep? I know I slept the whole way here, but how much longer than that?"

Gan Ning looked confused at that, though that wasn't very surprising considering what Ling Tong always guessed the size of his brain to be.

"What are you talking about? You weren't asleep for the whole ride," he said, his confused look slowly morphing into worry as he strode towards Ling Tong's bed.

"What..? Then, when did I wake up?" Gan Ning hummed slightly, sitting down beside Ling Tong.

"Well, I guess you probably weren't fully awake. You were just saying some nonsense with your eyes barely open. It sure gave us a laugh, though."

"W-what sort of nonsense? And, who else was there to hear it?" Ling Tong asked, practically begging Gan Ning to say it wasn't something embarrassing.

"Nothing, really. Something about how color was important, and you punched me for laughing, but didn't seem to have a problem with Sun Quan and the others in the tent." He chuckled as he remembered it and Ling Tong sighed in relief that it wasn't too bad. They sat in silence for a minute before Gan Ning spoke up again.

"So, anything to say to me?"

Ling Tong sat up and looked straight past Gan Ning as he tried to swallow his pride.

"Th..." Finding himself unable to say what he meant, his anger acted for him. "The door's right there, why don't you use it?"

Gan Ning clicked his tongue, only slightly irritated.

"Alright, I guess you'll just have to make it up to me instead."

"Yeah? What do you want, then?" Ling Tong mumbled, his mind taking what the pirate said somewhere terrifying.

"What, you can't guess? Did you lose some brain cells when you hit your head or something?" he joked, moving his hand to gently pat the bandages around the brunet's head, which Ling Tong himself hadn't noticed.

"... Free drinks?" he shyly suggested, earning a smile from Gan Ning.

"Yeah, there you go. But, I guess I'll have to wait until you've fully recovered," he added, pointing at the bandages around the rest of the man's body. Finally taking a moment to examine himself, Ling Tong found bandages wrapped around most of his torso as well as his left wrist and his upper right arm. He gave a small noise of disapproval as he gestured towards the desk in the corner of his room with his good wrist.

"There's money in that pouch. Go get the drinks yourself." Gan Ning shook his head.

"Nah, it's no fun drinking alone. I'll just wait for you," he said, getting up and walking towards the door before Ling Tong could argue with him.

"I guess it's something to look forward to," he conceded, gently laying back down as he heard the door close.