Actions

Work Header

Way Down to Hadestown

Summary:

After being forced by his brothers into celebrating his birthday at a club, Hiccup gets more than he bargained for.
A modern retelling of the myth of Persephone and Hades, Hiccstrid style.

Chapter Text

But even the hardest of hearts unhardened

Suddenly, when he saw her there

Persephone in her mother's garden

Sun on her shoulders, wind in her hair

The smell of the flowers she held in her hand

And the pollen that fell from her fingertips

And suddenly Hades was only a man

With a taste of nectar upon his lips

(...)

This was not what Hiccup wanted. Three thousand years old, and his brothers still didn't know him at all. For starters, he didn't like birthdays. Sure, maybe the first couple hundred were worth celebrating. But after 1,000? It was just getting old. He was getting old. (Well, not really. He was an immortal god, after all. But the feeling was still there). Second of all, he hated clubs. As someone who spent most of his time in the dark and cold of the underworld, a club, especially this club, was far from his comfort zone. The strobe lights were too bright, the music was too loud, the space was too cramped full of sweaty, gyrating gods and goddesses. He much preferred the company of the dead. They were quiet and peaceful, and knew to leave him be when he wanted to be alone. Which was most of the time.

And that's another thing. If this was a regular night at a club, Hiccup could at least have the chance to hide behind a stranger and slip away unnoticed. But no. His idiot brothers just had to rent out the entire club and make sure that everyone knew the birthday boy. There was no hope of escape now. No hope of slipping back underground, back to his own four walls and only his dog to keep him company. Alone. In solitude. With no annoying siblings disturbing him and cocktail Nymphs shoving drink after drink in his hands.

Hiccup jumped as a meaty hand landed on his shoulder, causing the god to jump and spill his whiskey on the floor. Great. Just great. Now someone could slip, and then he'd have an angry god on his hands, the perfect cherry on top of the ambrosia-

"Why so tense, brother?" Eret boomed next to him, squeezing the man's shoulder. "It's your birthday! Relax, have a drink, flirt with a Nymph."

Hiccup rolled his eyes and brushed his brother's hand off his shoulder.

"It's hard to relax with so much going on. I don't know why I let you drag me here."

Eret laughed beside him and waved a Nymph over to refill his brother's whiskey glass. Hiccup thanked her politely but curtly, and she swayed off with a disappointing look on her face. Eret replaced the hand on Hiccup's shoulder and steered him to look over at the dance floor.

"I couldn't let my little brother be alone on his birthday. You only turn 3,000 once, after all."

Hiccup sighed and sipped his whiskey, looking out over the dance floor. It was horrifying really, everyone mashed up against another, completely hammered and delirious. Nothing like the peace and quiet of the underworld.

"I just don't like all these people here, I don't want to be the center of attention. I would have been fine at home by myself."

Eret's features softened and he wrapped an arm around his brother's shoulders, squeezing him closer.

"I don't like the idea of you being all alone down there. None of us do. We worry about you, brother. You need to find yourself a wife, someone who can keep you company down there."

"Yeah, well-" Hiccup ducked out from under his brother's embrace, careful not to spill the newly poured whiskey. "I don't exactly have eligible goddesses lining up to be queen of the Underworld. It's not exactly the most romantic place."

"Hiccup-"

"Speaking of wives, shouldn't you be with yours?"

As if on command, the blonde shape of Ruffnut made her way through the crowd, pushing women out of her way as she went.

"Oh, Ereeeet!"

"Ruffnut, my darling."

Eret placed a chaste kiss on his wife's cheek, the woman smiling and gripping his bicep. She turned to Hiccup, who was trying his best not to vomit at the sight, and flashed a mischievous smile.

"Hiccup."

"Hey, Ruff."

"I have a birthday surprise for you."

The goddess sent a wink over at her brother in law as he groaned in exasperation.

"Please, Ruff, no more surprises."

"Oh, I think you'll like this one."

"No, I can most definitely say I won't-"

"Astrid's here."

Hiccup stood stock still, all color draining from his face except the bright scarlet blush that crept up his cheeks. Ruff and Eret smiled as he fumbled, trying to comprehend the situation. Everyone knew he had a hopeless crush on the radiant goddess of the Spring. He would always stutter and blush around her, too nervous to ever ask her out. How could the goddess of Springtime and sunshine want to be with the god of the dead anyway? It was impossible, and Hiccup was content to live with the unrequited love and avoid her at all costs. But here, at his birthday party, where he was the center of attention? Oh, that was just cruel.

"Astrid's here? Astrid's here. Astrid's here, in this building, right now. She's here."

"Calm down, brother."

"I've gotta get out of here. Yeah, I'm gonna go home. I'll just slip past the door, she'll never notice I'm gone. Okay guys, thanks for the party, I think it's time I head home, see you next year-"

A slender finger tapped him on the back of his shoulder, instantly shutting him up. He took a nervous gulp and slowly, agonizingly turned around.

Standing there, in all her glory, was the owner of the finger that had so gently tapped his back: the goddess of the Spring herself. Astrid. Beautiful, fierce Astrid, practically glowing under the suddenly dim lighting of the club. Her powder blue dress was almost criminal, held up by two thin straps that led down to a plunging neckline and a hem that was in no way legal, revealing creamy white thighs that made Hiccup dizzy trying not to look at. Long blonde hair laid in soft waves around her shoulders, framing those beautiful azure eyes and smiling pink lips. Astrid knew Hiccup liked it best when her hair was down, had kept it that way on purpose, knowing it would drive him crazy. She enjoyed seeing him flustered, smiling softly as he tried not to stare at her legs (oh yes, she noticed that alright). Hiccup seemed to find his tongue, jumping a little, auburn hair wild and eyes wide. Oh how Astrid wanted to run her fingers through that hair and pull, drag his lips to hers and claim him for herself. The god of the dead may have been oblivious, but Astrid hadn't missed the leering eyes of the women that followed wherever he went, the whispers of longing to get their hands on the unattainable god of death himself. It fueled Astrid's desire for him and she had been ecstatic at the invitation to his birthday, determined to claim him once and for all. The thought brought a little more mischief to her smirk as the god finally, finally manged to speak.

"Astrid! Hi, Astrid, hi. Um. You look. Y-you look great."

"What, in this old thing?" Astrid did a little spin, satisfaction in her eyes as she watched the god in front of her open his mouth and gape. "I just threw this on when I heard about your party. Happy birthday, by the way."

"You too! I-I mean. Not you too, your birthday was three months ago-"

"Do you want to dance?"

Hiccup's cheeks were as red as a tomato now, hand coming up to rub nervously at the back of his neck.

"Do I-do I want to what?"

Astrid smirked and crossed her arms, pushing up her breasts just enough to get that gaping fish-like look back on Hiccup's face.

"Dance. You do know how to dance, don't you?"

"Yes! Yes, of course I know how to dance."

"Well, c'mon then. Don't make me wait all night."

And then her hand was in his, soft slender fingers curling to intertwine with long calloused ones as she pulled him onto the dance floor. She winked at the women that stared at her in anger when she pulled him close, barely a breath's away as she danced against him. He was all awkward limbs and stiffness as he tried to dance, enraptured by the enchanting goddess in front of him. She walked her fingers up the front of his shirt, popping the top button as she went, and slung her arms loosely around his neck. She saw his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed, nervous hands resting gently on her waist. He leaned in to speak in her ear over the blaring music.

"Sorry, I'm not much of a dancer. I'm all right feet."

He nodded down at his left leg, the part below his knee long since missing, replaced by a slender golden prosthetic that was now hidden by his tight black slacks. Astrid shrugged, leaning forward to speak this time, breasts pressing up against his chest.

"You're doing fine. I don't understand why you don't just ask Eret to replace it for you. He is the king of the gods after all, I don't see why he can't help his brother."

Hiccup shook his head, hands tightening their grip on her waist as he grew more comfortable.

"He's offered before, but I never accepted. I just never felt the need. And it makes me less intimidating."

Astrid couldn't hold back the snort.

"You? Intimidating?"

"Hey, I'm the god of death!" Hiccup sputtered. "I can be very intimidating."

Astrid shook her head in disbelief, glossed lips pulling into a tantalizing smile.

"Uh huh, sure, Mr. Freckles."

The god of the dead placed his hand to his chest in mock offense, mouth hanging open in a shocked expression.

"Your words wound me, Milady!"

Astrid laughed- gods, that sound always did things to Hiccup, made his stomach churn with butterflies- and bowed her head.

"My apologies, oh great king of the dead."

Then, that mischievous glint returning to azure eyes, the goddess leaned up, lips at the shell of Hiccup's ear.

"How am I to ever earn your forgiveness?"

Hiccup blushed furiously, rough hands gripping the thin fabric of her dress as he tried to calm himself.

"That's um- it-it's not. You don't have to-"

Astrid cut him off with her fist in his shirt, pulling him down into a rough kiss. He froze for a moment before reciprocating, hands sliding down to her hips and long fingertips barely brushing the skin of her rear. The goddess moaned into his mouth and finally, finally tangled her fingers in that glorious unruly hair, pulling at the nape of his neck. She smiled against his lips as she heard the shocked and angered gasps of the women around them, biting his bottom lip as she claimed him in front of all the party-goers. Hiccup scrambled for purchase as he pulled her closer, hips flush against hers and blonde hair tickling his cheeks. He pulled away for a long breath, eyes dark with lust as he looked down into the goddess's half-lidded gaze.

"Come home with me," he panted. "Please."

Astrid smirked with kiss-swollen lips, hands finding purchase on his shoulders.

"Won't your brothers miss you? It is your birthday party, after all."

Hiccup claimed another kiss from her, green eyes wide and wild.

"Don't care. Eret's with Ruff, Snot's probably off chasing some poor Nymph around. And I only have eyes for you."

He placed another kiss to her lips, gentler this time, more tender. He looked at her with pleading eyes, running a hand through blonde locks.

"Please. I think I might die if I can't have you."

Astrid played with the buttons of his dress shirt and looked up through her bangs.

"Well, we can't have that, can we?"

(...)

Astrid woke the next morning surrounded by darkness. The only light came from the dim red flames of the torches that were mounted on the walls. The air surrounding her was cold on her naked skin, but the body next to her radiated warmth as he slept. Hiccup. Her Hiccup, auburn hair sticking out in all directions and long skinny arm draped around Astrid's bare waist as he dozed. He was beautiful even in sleep, freckles reflecting the dim light of the room. Pale bruises littered his neck and chest and long scratches were dragging down his back, and Astrid smiled at the sight. Oh yes, she had claimed him alright, there was no doubt about that. He had claimed her too, she realized, as the memory of last night came flooding back to her. He had tasted like whiskey and smelled of leather and smoke, gentle touches roaming all over her and leaving the skin burning.He had whispered praises in her ear and left bruises on her body with his fingertips, claiming her against the wall, on his desk, in his bed...

The sleeping god whined in protest as Astrid slipped from his grasp, reaching out in his sleep to regain contact. She pressed a soft kiss to his hair and whispered a small assurance that she would return and he drifted back into peace. She quietly opened the drawers of his dresser, pulling on a worn tee shirt and a clean pair of his boxers. She had to hold back a chuckle at the little ghost pattern that dotted the boxers. It was cute, almost as cute as the man they belonged to. Bare feet tiptoed out of the room, giving Toothless (his three headed dog) an affectionate scratch behind the ears before making her way around the house. After a quick gargle of mouthwash in the bathroom and a splash of water to the face, she made her way to the kitchen. The god of the dead would be waking soon, and the goddess thought he would appreciate a strong cup of coffee after a rather vigorous night.

(...)

Hiccup woke alone in his bed. He felt the emptiness immediately, all peaceful feelings from sleep gone, heart crashing to the floor. Of course Astrid hadn't stayed, why would she? The goddess of the Spring didn't belong in such a cold and dark place where she couldn't see the sky and flowers wouldn't grow. She must have collected her things and left as soon as Hiccup had fallen asleep. The god of the dead didn't blame her, of course. He felt like a fool. He had let his guard down last night, had allowed himself to dare to dream that someone like Astrid would even consider staying with him. It was stupid, really. He was just a naive boy, doomed to spend eternity in solitude. And that was fine. Completely fine.

He got dressed in a daze, pajama bottoms hanging loosely around his hips as he padded out of the room. He had forgone a shirt, it wasn't like anyone was going to see him right now anyway. He yawned and scratched at his head as he got ready in the bathroom. He frowned at the open bottle of mouthwash on the counter- he had put the lid on last night hadn't he? He shook his head, ignoring the thought as he made his way to the kitchen. The enticing smell of coffee filled his senses as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes and blinked. Then blinked again. And again.

The sight brought him to a stop. Astrid was dancing around the kitchen in a shirt and boxers- his shirt and boxers- pouring coffee into mugs and humming to herself. Her blonde locks were piled on top of her head, stray strands coming down to frame her serene face. A smile graced her lips as she turned to face him, handing him a mug of coffee and reaching up to place a kiss on his cheek.

"Morning sleepyhead."

Hiccup could only stare, hand gripping the cup like an anchor to reality.

"Am I dead? I must be dead. There's no way this is happening."

Astrid raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow.

"No way what's happening?"

"You're still here..." Hiccup breathed. Astrid laughed that melodic, tinkling laugh and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Of course I'm still here. You're not getting rid of me that easily."

"But- but-you shouldn't. You shouldn't be here, you shouldn't want to be here."

"Hiccup," Astrid scolded. Her face was stern with determination, nimble fingers tangling in auburn hair. "I've wanted this- wanted you for so long."

The god still didn't seem to process, mouth opening and closing with no coherent thoughts coming out.

"But, but you. How?"

Astrid smiled and trailed kisses along his jaw. He seemed to relax a little, hands coming to rest on her hips.

"I've liked you for a long time, Hiccup. You've just been to oblivious to notice."

Hiccup shook his head and pulled away, hands slipping from her hips like he had been burned. He wheeled back, running his hands through his hair and pulling on the braided strands Astrid had left while he was asleep.

"You can't stay here."

Astrid frowned and took a step towards him. He greeted it with a step backwards, keeping himself at a safe distance.

"Why not?"

"Because!" Hiccup snapped. "Because you're the goddess of Spring and sunshine and flowers and everything that's beautiful, up there, above the ground. I'm the god of death, I live six feet underground in the cold and the dark, surrounded by the souls of the dead. You should be up there, enjoying your life. And I...I have to stay here. Alone. I deserve it, I deserve spend eternity in solitude. I don't deserve you."

Astrid's gaze softened and she sighed, reaching out for Hiccup's hands. He let her take them, let her press gentle kisses to his palm while he calmed.

"No one deserves to be alone, Hiccup." she murmured. "I want to stay here, with you. I don't care if I never see the sky again. I have all I need, in here."

She placed her palm against Hiccup's chest, over his heart. He melted into her touch and allowed her to pull him in for a warm embrace, calloused hands tangling in blonde hair. He breathed a sigh against her, placed a kiss to the crown of her forehead.

"Do you really mean it?" he whispered. "Could you spend the rest of your life down here? Could you...could you fall in love with someone like me?"

Astrid pulled back to lean her forehead against his, hands coming up to rest on either side of his face. Tears were prickling in green eyes, threatening to spill over any second. His hands found purchase on her back, fisting the fabric of her shirt without the intention of ever letting go. Astrid rubbed her thumbs across freckled cheeks, leaning in to place the ghost of a kiss on his chapped lips as she whispered.

"I already have."