Actions

Work Header

The Spinning Arrow

Summary:

With their future in complete shambles and no hope left, Will and Mia must complete a mission that has been in the making for three years. Which of course involves time travel. As Will and Mia travel back to the past to fix the future they end up needing some help along the way.

Notes:

Let's face it. The future so far sucks and looks grim so I thought Will and Mia should fix it.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

It had been raining all day in Star City. Crime seemed to be at a stand still for a moment. 

With Emiko going dark, Oliver was splitting his time between the SCPD, bunker, and home with his pregnant wife. 

His amazing and smart wife who had succeeded in getting her archer program up and running. 

It was hard for Oliver to be without William. Despite the number of texts and calls, even emails Felicity and him have sent. There was no response. If William just needed some space, he understood, but he wanted to hear his son’s voice tell him that he was settling in fine. Or if he wanted to come home. 

Oliver was brimming with excitement to tell William that he was going to be a big brother, but there was a nagging feeling in the back of his head that William wouldn’t be happy. That after he left they tried to replace him. 

The week had been quiet with the team working in tandem with the SCPD cracking down on low level street crimes. 

The team was enjoying being back in their comfort zone with training and running point from the bunker. It also helped that Felicity had all her own tech to work with. Computers that didn’t freeze in the middle of field work.

Soon the quiet night became something they would never forget.

It all started with an explosion.


 

Deep in the glades it was a quiet night. A quiet night as one can be in the glades. There was an abandoned building that had not been used for years until now as it was the source of a what they had called a ‘contained’ explosion. 

From the explosion, rolled out what they had called a time sphere that was opening. 

Two bodies crawled through the opening of the time sphere, coughing as the smoke and dust settled. Their bodies tired from the perilous journey, both just glad they were both alive. 

“Well, when Nora said that the journey would be rough, I thought she was over exaggerating.” Mia coughed harder, her lungs attempting to breathe in the fresh air.

“Yeah, no kidding.” Will took the journey harder than Mia. He thought after spending almost three years now attempting to pick up the few things that Mia taught him, that his body would be better prepared. 

The Queen siblings both stood up and dusted themselves off, trying to adapt to their new surroundings. 

“So, what’s the plan?” He questioned, still disoriented. They picked up the only things they brought with them to the past. Two duffle bags containing all that they would need. 

“Well first things first we need to find out if we made it to the right time.”

That was when they heard the police sirens.

“Well I think that just got moved down to priority number two.” As Mia turned to run, Will’s voice stopped her in her tracks.

“Wait! We can’t just leave this thing here, they’re going to!”

Mia cut Will off by pushing the button on the remote they had been given. Next thing they knew the time sphere had cloaked itself as a broken down car.

“Well when did you get tech nerd all of a sudden?” Will’s retort brought a smile to Mia’s face. 

“One of Mom’s parting gifts.” That single sentence sobered them back to reality. The loud clanging of the metal garage door being opened brought them back. The brother-sister duo made eye contact before dashing off to find a way out of the warehouse. 


“Overwatch any word as to what we are dealing with.” The team were currently on the next building over. Waiting for the assailants to make their grand exit, the SCPD were making their way through the building.

“No go. This warehouse hasn’t been used in the past 5 years and all previous owners are currently not alive.” Oliver sighed. Probably just some low level street thugs testing out weapons they couldn’t handle. If that was the case Oliver wanted to get these guys. 

“SCPD says that they don’t see any sign of explosives so far.”

“There!” Renee pointed out two dark figures exiting through a second story door. 

The chase was on. 


“Oh great, now we’ve got them chasing us. This was so not part of the plan.” Will was panting, trying to catch his breath and keep up with his sister. 

“Will you shut up?!” They were running through the alleys of the Glades. Slipping through every nook and cranny they could find, trying some way to go unseen and slip through the vigilante’s fingers. 

They both knew their plan had required precision, accuracy, and most importantly. Timing. If they didn’t get the correct time then everything would have all been for nothing. 

Then all of their families’ sacrifices would have been for nothing. 

They slammed their backs against a brick wall. Their breaths labored and their chests heaving in tiredness. 

“Our plan is very quickly crumbling towards our feet.” Will puffed out. 

Mia nodded. Her brain quickly trying to figure out a way to fix their plan. 

“Mom said that there was only one place that we could go to begin our mission. Where we could carry it out in peace.” An arrow wedged itself in the bricks between Will and Mia’s faces. 

“Well I really think some peace is what we need.” They both ran towards the open gate at the end of the alley. 

Mia hit her wrist watch and a holographic map was pulled up. 

“Quick! Through here!” Mia took her brother through the secret back ways that her mother had pointed out. This was where they had slipped through the fingers of Team Arrow. Putting their hunt to an end for the night. 


“You know those guys were pretty slippery for some street thugs.” Felicity quipped, turning in her chair. 

The team had made their way back to the lair. Collecting themselves to regroup. 

“Do we have any info, or any cameras to find out what they were doing or what they looked like?” Oliver asked his wife. 

“No active cameras in the warehouse when the explosion happened, and all the cameras that did capture them, had the thugs moving too fast to get any facial recognition.”

“Damn. I can’t believe we let some thugs slip through us.” Rene commented. 

“Well maybe you’re not as fast as you used to be.” Dinah teasingly smiled at Renee. 

“Oh is that an old joke?” The team had been through a lot the past few weeks. Between trying to locate Emiko and worrying about the ninth circle, it was nice for them to be joking around. 

Oliver thought chasing the thugs would help take his mind off of his sister and the betrayal he felt. For now he was letting his mind focus on that. 

“Well, I’ll have my system running so if anything pops us we’ll know.”

“So I think that means we’ll call it a night.” Diggle commented. With that the team parted ways. 


“And voila! We are in.” Will presented to his sister. 

They clambered down the stairs into the dark musky basement, both unable to see anything. 

Will turned on the flashlight and located the fuse box. 

The Arrow cave. 

“Wow, this place is a dump.” Mia noticed.

“Well, Mom did say that they haven’t used this place in years. Ever since it was raided by the police.” Will and Mia proceeded to get acquainted in the old Arrow cave. The place had not been used since it was raided by the police. Even the upstairs hadn’t been used let alone bought. 

“Whoah.” Will pulled the sheet that had been covering the computers. As the dust flew into their faces, they began to cough to clear their lungs.  

“If we got the time right, this set up is old even for this time.” Will dusted off the chair as best he could, and began attempting to try and boot up the computers. 

Mia began to explore the place that her mother had deemed the “Arrow cave”. She remembers her mom telling stories about their adventures with OTA in this place. From when her mom first rescued her father to the time he came back from his fight with Ra's Al Ghul. The good and the bad. 

Mia found it hard to believe that for such a long time her mom was fighting for a cause that she wasn’t supposed to be apart of, and ended up becoming the heart of the team. 

Mia uncovered a mannequin propped up in a clear case. Nothing done the mannequin, this was where her father hung his hood every night. Now it was just her reflection staring back at her. She could see the tiredness in her eyes. 

“Yes!” Will cheered, pumping his fist in the air. 

Mia turned to see what he was talking about. 

“Well it took some tinkering with the processor cores in these cabinets, which I’m amazed are still here. But. These computers are back online.” Mia nodded, used to all the computer babbling that she most of the time didn't understand. 

“Well now that steps one through three are out of the way, time to work on steps four and five.” Mia pulled up the hood on the dark jacket she had been wearing, turning towards the stairs. 

“Which is?” He asked confused. 

“You are going to make sure that she can’t track our system and I’m going to go grab us some food.”

“Hey. shouldn’t we be keeping a low profile. I mean we did just barely manage to escape.” Mia’s back was still turned. Despite having Will, Mia still felt like she had to venture out on her own. Thinking on instinct, that led to more unnecessary risks. But she couldn’t just sit around twiddling her thumbs while he tapped keys on a computer. 

Will knew this. 

“Hey, I know you hate to admit it but I am right. Plus I could actually use your help.” Just like that they were like normal siblings. The little sister getting excited to be included by her big brother. Despite their beginnings to an unconventional brother sister bond, they still acted like siblings. They still loved and relied on each other. 

Mia was turned back around. The smile threatening to show on her face, while it smugly showed on his. 

“Plus, I like taking in these rare moments where I’m the one bossing my little sister around.”, and just like that the smile showed on her face and she punched her brother in the shoulder. Both of them preparing for a long night.