Actions

Work Header

A Kind of Magic

Summary:

“We’re a bit of a mix,” Brian spoke up. “I’m human. Fred is a wish granting lamp dweller-“

“I’m a djinn!” Freddie looked scandalized.

“And Roger here is a sex goblin,” John couldn’t help the smile as Roger sputtered. “We don’t care much about your classification, but if we’re in a band together then we have to accept each other. If you don’t want to play with supernaturals then I’m afraid we’re not a good fit.”

--

Sometimes a family is made up of a singer who can grant wishes, a bassist who had a habit of hoarding gold, a drummer who literally needs sex to live, and a guitarist who is just trying to keep it all together.

Chapter Text

It was a bit of a strange combination.

 

John fidgeted, fingers curling around the neck of his bass and waited awkwardly for the frontman of the band to give him the signal to start. While he waited he let his eyes drift across the members, taking them in.

 

Freddie, the lead singer, had an incredible energy about him. His hair was styled perfectly, lying in gentle waves around his shoulders and he was dressed in clothes that John might have thought looked ridiculous but on him it worked. The bright colors and patterns just brought the attention to him, making it hard for anyone to look away.

 

Brian, the guitarist, was the opposite. He was dressed in a simple button up shirt and didn’t seem to care much about standing out. He had a rather bored look on his face which was framed by the most spectacular curls John had ever seen.

 

Roger, the drummer, had a similar energy to Freddie but in a far more chaotic sense. His clothes were outrageous but weren’t put together with the same care that Freddie seemed to place in his style. He had his feet up on the table, sparkling pink converse on full display, and had just started on his second cigarette.

 

“John?” Brian’s soft voice startled him out of his daze, and he felt a hot blush race up the back of his neck.

 

“I’m sorry, I got lost in my own head for a bit,” he blushed further when Roger smirked, unnaturally blue eyes locked on him. “Can you repeat the question?”

 

“Of course,” Brian had a kind smile. “What are you studying?”

 

“Electronics,” John answered and then a silence stretched on. Frantically, he tried to think of something to add. “I guess I like…taking things apart? I like seeing how things work.”

 

“Very good!” Brian beamed and he felt himself relax slightly. “And…what is your classification? Are you human or supernatural?”

 

There it was, the question he had been dreading. How many other bands had turned him away the second he answered? How many people dismissed him out of hand just because of what he was? John hesitated, one hand twisting in the strap of his bass.

 

“We’re a bit of a mix,” Brian spoke up, clearly noticing the discomfort. “I’m human. Fred is a wish granting lamp dweller-“

 

“I’m a djinn!” Freddie looked scandalized.

 

“And Roger here is a sex goblin,” John couldn’t help the smile as Roger sputtered. “We don’t care much about your classification, but if we’re in a band together then we have to accept each other. If you don’t want to play with supernaturals then I’m afraid we’re not a good fit.”

 

Half of the world’s population was made up of supernatural beings but John often felt alone. Most of them stayed to their own kind, years of being hunted before laws were put into place still left lingering distrust. Discrimination against supernaturals was still rather rampant, something John had struggled with his whole life.

 

“I’m supernatural,” he said softly. “I’m…well there’s a lot of names for it. I suppose the most traditional one is dragon?”

 

Roger’s eyes lit up, practically glowing, and he leaned forward. “You’re a dragon? I’ve never met a dragon before.”

 

“There aren’t a lot of us left,” John shrugged. He knew that they were now searching for the signs on her person. If they looked hard enough they would see his slitted pupils and the greenish scales that climbed up his neck from the collar of his shirt.

 

“Have you fought knights? Do you have a secret treasure? Can you breathe fire?” Roger asked quickly, grin growing with each question.

 

“Stop teasing him you wanker,” Brian reached a hand up and smacked the blond on the back of the head getting a grumble and a glare in response.

 

“Well, if you’re ready to play please go ahead darling,” Freddie waved his hand, ignoring the actions of the other two, and John took a deep breath.

 

He plucked out a rhythm that he had been playing around with, quickly getting into it. Playing felt so natural, almost like flying. His fingers flew across the strings and his body moved with the beat. When he finished he let his hand fall to the side and flushed at the applause.

 

“Best one we’ve heard yet,” Brian praised.

 

Roger nodded quickly, a wide grin across his handsome face. “At least you can keep rhythm! You have no idea how impossible it is to drum with an inconsistent bassist.”

 

“John dear, would you mind terribly stepping out for a minute while we discuss?” Freddie asked and John nodded, slipping out of the practice room.

 

He sucked in a deep breath and leaned against the closed door, shutting his eyes tightly. It had taken a lot of courage to even come an audition but now he wanted this so badly. He wanted to be a part of something where he wasn’t judged by what he was. He wanted to belong.

 

The door opened and he scrambled to stand up properly, craning his neck a bit to meet Brian’s eyes. “Come on back in.”

 

The other men were grinning when he stepped back into the room and his chest felt a bit tight. Freddie cleared his throat and sat a bit straighter in his seat. “John, we all agree that you are spectacular. We would love for you to be a part of Queen if you want.”

 

John couldn’t do anything but nod frantically.

 

“Splendid!” Roger clapped his hands and jumped up, grabbing his coat. “Let’s go celebrate at the pub! I’m famished!”

 

Brian rolled his eyes but stood as well, neatly piling up some papers into a folder. Next to him Roger and Freddie had already gotten into a heated discussion about something related to a market stall. The taller man made his way to John and clapped a hand on his shoulder.

 

“Need help getting packed up? We can give you a lift to the pub, you can just leave your bass in my car,” John decided that he liked Brian. The man was calm and kind, a clear anchor to the energy of the other two men. They balanced out quite nicely.

 

“I should just be a second,” John gave him a smile and packed up his bass as quickly as he could. He hated keeping others waiting but none of the other members of the band seemed to care much.

 

“The bar we go to is supernatural friendly so don’t worry,” Brian patted him on the shoulder and they followed Freddie and Roger out.

 

John still felt a bit dazed. The whole thing had happened so quickly that he wasn’t even sure if his brain had quite caught up with it yet. An hour ago, he was plugging in his bass and now he was sitting at a table with his new bandmates.

 

It was surreal.

 

He sipped at his beer, trying to quell the nervous anxiety bubbling in his stomach. Both Freddie and Brian talked excitedly about upcoming gigs and opportunities. They often looked to him for input which John appreciated, already feeling welcome.

 

Roger on the other hand looked a bit ill. His already pale skin had gone a bit white and his eyes had lost their sheen. Fingers drummed on the tabletop as he moved his gaze frantically around the crowd, never lingering on one person for too long. After a few minutes he stiffened a bit and turned to them.

 

“Excuse me gents,” he slid out of the booth gracefully. “I’ll only be a minute.”

 

The blond wove through the crowd before he stopped in front of a pretty redhead. The girl stared up at him with hopeful, adoring eyes. Just a few moments later Roger took her hand and led her to the back of the pub where the bathrooms were.

 

“He works fast doesn’t he?” John said dryly, catching Brian’s gaze lingering on where Roger had vanished. The older man shook his head lightly and turned his attention back to the table.

 

“You get used to it,” he mumbled.

 

There was a hint of sadness to his statement that gave John pause. Just as he was about to ask though Brian jumped up to get another round of drinks, awkwardly pushing his way through to the bar. Freddie rolled his eyes and sighed before smiling at John.

 

“So John, tell me about you. Are you from London?”

 

That started a series of questions. Normally, John didn’t like talking about himself. He never enjoyed being the center of attention but there was something so kind and accepting about the way Freddie asked. It wasn’t just a nicety, it was because he was genuinely interested in him as a person.

 

Brian returned with drinks just moments before Roger came back as well. The blond looked completely different this time. He had a healthy glow to his skin and a new light in his eyes. It seemed like he had just drank ten cups of coffee judging by the new burst of energy.

 

“Have fun?” Freddie teased.

 

“Tons,” Roger grinned back and stretched his arms over his head. He caught John’s eye and lowered his arms. “I’m not a sex goblin by the way, that was just Brian being a dick, I’m an incubus.”

 

“Po-tay-to, po-tah-to,” Brian mumbled into his drink and Roger stuck his tongue out at him.

 

“Everyone needs energy to survive. You get yours from food and I get mine from…well, more fun outlets,” he waggled his eyebrows cartoonishly. “I don’t do the hypnotizing thing though, I think that’s kind of fucked up.”

 

“Then how do you get them to come with you?” John asked.

 

“Honey, look at me,” Roger gave him a blinding smile. “Do you really think I have to beg?”

 

“As you can tell, Roger is the most modest of us all,” Freddie interrupted, passing Roger his beer and raising his own wine glass in a toast. “But we are happy you decided to be one of us. I think we are going to do amazing things. To Queen!”

 

John clinked his glass to theirs, feeling for the first time in a long time that he belonged to something great.