Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 2 of Leilani's Life
Stats:
Published:
2019-03-09
Completed:
2019-06-19
Words:
131,167
Chapters:
41/41
Comments:
120
Kudos:
69
Bookmarks:
5
Hits:
1,986

Leilani's Destiny

Summary:

After Leilani Edenburrow found a home and leadership role among the Companions it has come time for her to fulfill her fate as Dragonborn. Little does she know of the trials in store for both her and her friends throughout her journey; old memories come back to haunt her as she struggles with her blood. Will she finally get the happy ending she deserves or will it all come crumbling down around her like it had before?
Sequel to 'The Dragonborn's choice and Skyrim's Fate'

Notes:

I don't own any characters or quests mentioned in this work; my only creation is that fiery little breton and the details surrounding her life. I highly recommend you read the first work before starting this one to get her backstory and fully understand Leilani's position on some topics that are to be mentioned. As far as the story goes I hope you enjoy it; comments and recommendations for future chapters are always welcome.

Chapter 1: Harbinger and Daughter

Chapter Text

Leilani awoke to a dimly lit room, another peaceful night in her chambers. Ever since she was cleansed of the beast blood her sleep was restful, and the nightmares were less frequent. She felt the furs beside her shiftm which caused her to look over to her sleeping companion with tired eyes. Vilkas is such a cover hog. She grabbed a fistful of the furs and yanked them over her body, Vilkas startled awake and looked around the room. She struggled to keep from laughing at his panicked actions, she felt his presence come up behind her and she slowly turned to meet his gaze.

“Morning Vilkas.”

“Morning love, mind telling me why you pulled the furs away from me?”

“Because you don’t share, learn to be more considerate of your sleeping companion.”

Vilkas rolled his eyes and sat up in bed, he threw on a cotton tunic that matched his breeches and stretched. Leilani’s eyes roamed up and down his figure appreciatively before Vilkas snapped his fingers to get her attention, embarrassed that she had been caught staring her face flushed and she averted her gaze.

“Like what you see?”

“Shut up cover hog.”

“You have your own quarters and bed you know, you don’t have to sleep in my bed every night. Not that i’m complaining, its nice having an extra source of heat this time of year.”

“It just feels weird to sleep where Kodlak once did. I don’t even like the idea of being Harbinger, let alone sleeping in his quarters.”

“Lass, Kodlak picked you for a reason. He even said so in his journal and when you cured him in the tomb, honor his spirit by fulfilling his request that you lead the companions.”

“Yeah I know.”

“Get dressed we have people to train and jobs to complete.”

“I need to go to High Hrothgar soon and speak to the Greybeards, i’ve ignored their summons long enough.”

“Leilani, we’ve talked about this-”

“No, you forbidding me to go without you is not talking about it. I need to see them Vilkas, I need to know what being Dragonborn really means. When we got back from the tomb we agreed I would take a week to rest and then leave, that was a month ago.”

“It’s a dangerous journey Lani, i’m just trying to look out for you.”

“I know, but I can handle myself. You should know that more than anyone else, besides it's my duty to Skyrim to see what they want from me.”

Vilkas ran a hand through his hair as he stared at the breton occupying his bed, she had a point. He knew she was more than capable of making the journey and seeing these monks, but that didn’t make him any less anxious. Leilani got out of bed and quickly dressed herself in her wolf armour, Vilkas followed her example and soon both exited Vilkas’s room and headed towards the dining hall. Leilani still refused to sit where Kodlak once did, she instead sat beside Aela where Skjor had previously eaten. Although Aela still had her gift of the blood she respected Leilani and often found comfort in her company.

“Lover’s quarrel?”

“You heard us?”

“It wasn’t hard, especially with my hearing. You should go to High Hrothgar, you can’t ignore the summons. Besides, you’re the Dragonborn and the Harbinger. He can’t stop you from fulfilling your destiny.”

“I know that Aela, but it would bring me comfort to know that he at least supported the idea of me going alone.”

“I understand that, but in the end you need to do what is right no matter what anyone else says.”

“I know, come on let’s get to the yard. I need to let out some frustration on a practice dummy.”

The twins watched as the women left the hall and went to the training yard, Farkas had noticed his brother’s silence throughout breakfast and decided to address it now that the women were out of earshot.

“Brother, why so quiet?”

“Leilani wants to travel to the Throat of the World to see the Greybeards by herself, and if i'm being honest, i’m not too comfortable with that.”

“Why? She can handle herself, I see no reason to worry.”

“I know she can handle herself, but the seven thousand steps are treacherous. I’ve heard tales of pilgrims going up but not coming back down, if anything happened to her I don’t know what I would do.”

“You can’t dwell on the negatives brother, she needs to see those old men and find out what being Dragonborn means. She needs to find her way through this, Kpdlak would've wanted us to support her through this hard time.”

“Ugh, I know. Since when have you been the voice of reason?”

Vilkas couldn’t stop his mind from racing and only looking at the bad that could happen instead of the good it would do for Leilani. He stood up and went to the training yard with his brother trailing behind him, they saw Aela and Leilani sparing in the center of the court yard. Each woman was putting up a good fight but Aela always seemed to have the upper hand due to the blood that coursed through her veins. Then Leilani knocked Aela off her feet and pointed her axes at the red head’s throat grinning, Aela smirked and admitted defeat. Leilani sheathed her weapons and helped her shield sister to her feet, they laughed and the brothers clapped for Leilani.

She gave an over dramatic bow and giggled, then Athis came up to her and asked about how she should hold his axes for a more effective swing. Overall the lass had been a good mentor to her fellow shield siblings and she always tried to help when asked, she was still so young and Vilkas was proud of how much she had grown into her roll among them. It had been only been a month since they cured Kodlak and Leilani had celebrated her birthday as well she had entered her twenty third winter and now she felt she was ready to actually commit to her destiny.

“Leilani! Can I talk to you?”

Leilani glanced at Vilkas and nodded, she finished helping Athis and walked over to where Vilkas was sitting on the back porch of the hall. She took a seat opposite of him and rested her arms on the table.

“What’s up?”

“What supplies would you need for your journey to High Hrothgar?”

“Uh, probably some health potions and magicka ones as well. Some dried food and my tent and bedroll for sure, plus some extra coin in case I want to spend the night at an inn.”

“We could probably get everything ready by tonight if you wanted to set out tomorrow morning. I shouldn’t let my feelings stop you from figuring out what being Dragonborn means, i’m sorry for causing you to postpone it as much as you have.”

“Thank you Vilkas, and I know you were just doing it because you were concerned about my well being.”

Vilkas gave her a weak smile as she placed her hand on his, she didn’t know how to comfort him. Vilkas shook his head as he rose from his seat, he said that he would gather the supplies she needed and put them in her private quarters. After watching his figure slowly retreat into the marketplace she turned towards the rest of the Companions and supervised training for the rest of the morning.

After training had come to a close she stayed outside to practice on her own, practicing her archery and dual wielding techniques. Farkas had stayed outside as well to sharpen his great sword, he quietly observed her actions while she gave her best efforts to try an improve herself.

“Hey sister, have you ever thought about giving the great sword a try?”

Leilani glanced at her shield brother and wiped the sweat from her brow, she sheathed her axes and walked over to her friend.

“That sword is about the same height as me Farkas, I don’t think that would be a wise weapon choice for me.”

“It would be amusing to see you try and use one though, take mine and give it a few swings.”

“Are we really doing this? Why?”

“Cause i’m curious, what’s the matter sister? Scared you can’t even lift it?”

Leilani smirked and rolled her eyes at Farkas’s insult, although she was a little curious about the weapon she knew better than to accept a challenge on the grounds of mockery. She put her hands on the table and leaned in close to Farkas so her emerald eyes were on the same level as his silver ones, he smirked as well and reclined in his seat.

“Nice try brother, but it’s gonna take more than a childish taunt to make me try and lift that barbaric weapon of yours.”

“I see you’ve learned to control your emotions when it comes to idle insults.”

“Too much has happened to me Farkas, I would be an idiot if I didn’t learn from my mistakes.”

“Fair enough, so Vilkas tells me that you are headed to the Throat of the World tomorrow morning. Nervous?”

“A little yeah, meeting those monks is going to be interesting for sure. But as far as the travel goes i’m sure it won’t cause any problems that I can’t handle.”

“I believe that, but you may want to consider the fact that wildlife will be on the mountain path. I’ve heard about travelers being attacked by wolves and bears up on the seven thousand steps, ice wraiths are supposedly up there as well.”

“That’s kind of frightening, although i’ve done my fair share of hunting with Aela so i’m not that worried. Are you trying to scare me into taking Vilkas with me?”

“Not at all sister, although he will be pretty much useless without you here where he can see you. But I know you want to do this one your own, at least for now.”

“Thanks for understanding Farkas, and as far as Vilkas is concerned i’ll make sure to tell him to keep himself busy while i’m gone. That’s an order straight from the Harbinger!”

“Haha, glad to see you finally accepting your role sister. Kodlak chose well, it suits you.”

“Thanks Farkas, but I still have a lot to learn. Vilkas has been telling me of our history in more detail and Eorlund has been telling me what he knows as well.”

“Everyone is here for you Leilani, family sticks together.”

She smiled at that and noticed a silhouette move in her peripheral vision, she turned to see Vilkas walking towards them with a burlap sack tossed over his shoulder. She smiled and waved him over to where she was talking with Farkas, he set down the bag once her reached them and took a bottle a mead that was offered by his brother. After uncorking the bottle and draining its contents he sighed and plopped down on the chair next where Leilani was standing.

“Shopping tire you out love?”

The breton smirked at her nord as he reclined in his seat, he rolled his eyes before focusing them on her armour clad figure. He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her into his lap, she giggled as she fell into his arms and situated herself on he lap. Farkas watched the two love birds with a curious stare, when Vilkas noticed his brother’s glances he leaned forward a little.

“Something on your mind brother?”

“When are you two gonna get married? I mean it’s painfully obvious that you two are all over each other.”

Leilani laughed as Vilkas blushed, she ruffled his hair and then turned her attention back to Farkas.

“He already asked me Farkas, we are waiting till I get back from the Greybeards. I want to find out what my future entails before scheduling a wedding.”

“He already asked you?! Brother, why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Because then you would blab it to all of Whiterun and I prefer a little privacy now and then brother. Besides we haven’t set a date yet so I didn’t see the point in celebrating until she returned anyway.”

“Uh-huh sure, well I promise not to say anything but I am planning on getting you two a wedding gift.”

Leilani smiled and thanked Farkas for the offer but said that it wasn’t necessary, Farkas still insisted so she dropped the subject. She rested her hands on Vilkas’s arms that were wrapped around her waist, she had felt so at ease for the last month or so and now she was charging off into more danger. She felt bad leaving Vilkas behind but she wanted him to run things in her absence, she figured that he and Farkas were able to run things well enough to leave it in their hands for a few weeks.

“So Lani, all of your supplies should be in this bag.”

“Seems like you bought out the entire market Vilkas, I don’t think I need that much.”

“Well go through it and decide that for yourself love, I just wanted make sure I got everything you might need.”

“Thank you for that Vilkas, whatever I don’t take we can split up among the others for their personal supplies.”

“Always the generous one, but that’s one of the reasons I love you.”

She blushed and turned away from the nord, they continued to talk until Athis came out onto the terrace looking for Leilani.

“Hey Leilani! The courier just dropped off a letter for you.”

“Really from who?”

"Don't know, has an odd seal on it though."

Athis handed her the letter and walked back inside the hall, Leilani found his behavior odd but didn’t dwell on it as she turned over the parchment in her hands. Her heart stopped at the sight of the wax seal that enclosed the letter, it was her house insignia from High Rock. The one her mother always used when writing letters back and forth to the Imperial city, she hadn’t written to her mother ever since she joined the companions. She had been to ashamed to tell of her misfortune with her father’s old ax and her mother’s armour that she had lost when she was captured and taken to Helgen. Her hands shook as she took a knife from the table and cut through the wax seal, she felt Farkas and Vilkas watching her with curious eyes. She excused herself from the twins and retreated to Kodlak’s old study, she shut the doors tightly behind her and locked them as well for complete and uninterrupted privacy. She sat down at the desk in the corner and unfolded the letter, her eyes fell upon familiar handwriting as she read the letter.

Dearest Leilani,

It has been awhile since I received any word from you and I hope this letter finds you in good health. I’ve missed you terribly and hope that you return a letter soon, I know we haven’t been together for any of your birthdays since you turned seventeen and left my care. I enclosed some septims for you in hopes you use them to buy something nice for your last birthday. I can’t believe that you are already in your twenty-third winter, seems like only yesterday that you and your brother were playing the in garden. I hope you have found what you have been looking for in this wide world, I know that fate has been unkind to you and our family but I want you to know that none of it was your fault. If we are to blame anyone it is the Thalmor, although considering the political climate now a days it seems they are climbing ever higher.

Skyrim is in the middle of a bloody Civil war and all the Thalmor do is play the Imperials against the nords of that frozen land. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am still in good health and i’ve taken a position at the College of Winterhold, I am to instruct prospective healers in the ways of restoration magic. I figured it was time that I venture out into the world as well and see what the world has to offer, even though in my old age it proves to be quite the challenge. But I need to leave High Rock behind for a little while, too much has happened here that I rather not remember. And even though Skyrim is filled with hate and war I want the opportunity to make it better, if I can.

My point in writing this letter, besides trying to get into contact with you, is to ask you to come see me at the college in Skyrim if you ever find yourself in the area. I have no doubts that this poor courier is scouring the roads and seas looking for you but I have faith this letter will find you. I should be there by the end of Frostfall and hope you come to find me, it would bring me great happiness to see you once more my daughter. On a more grim topic I finally found out what happened to you father, apparently he was taken by the very Thalmor agents he had worked for. He was taken and tortured much like you were, except he was not so fortunate as to return home like you were.

I never received a body so he has a place next to your brother at the shrine in our home. I plan to take some of your brother’s and father’s belongings with me so I can make a small place for them at the college while i’m there. I really hope you come Leilani, I miss you terribly and I regret letting you leave all those years ago. But I knew that you needed to be by yourself for awhile after all that had happened to you, i’m sure those scars run deeper than I could ever imagine. Although the pain of losing you, your brother, and your father in such a short time left a mark on me as well. Anyway, I hope you are well and I know that this letter is rather repetitive. But I miss your letters, they were always a comfort to me. It let me know you were still alive somewhere and when they stopped I feared the worst, and if by chance the person reading this knows that my daughter is no longer a part of this world I plead that you let me know where her body lies so I can see her once more.

With love always, Georgiana Edenburrow (Mom)

Leilani felt tears roll down her face as she finished the letter, her mother was coming to Skyrim and she would be able to see her once more. After all the years apart she could finally know the warmth of her mother’s arms once again. She could meet Vilkas and be there for the wedding, she could be in her life once more now that Leilani knew she could do a better job and protect her. At the end of Frostfall, that was this season. She would be here in a month, and Winterhold was just a short journey away. She wiped the tears from her eyes as she refolded the letter and walked over to the entrance to the study to unlock the doors, when she opened them the twins fell at her feet. She laughed at the familiar situation, she playfully put her hands on her hips and glared at the brothers.

“Can I help you boys?”

The scrambled to their feet as they stood in front of the Harbinger, Farkas smiled and Vilkas ran his hand through his hair as he stood before her.

“We wanted to know what the letter was about, a new job request maybe?”

“Far from that Farkas, it’s actually a letter from my mother in High Rock.”

That’s when Vilkas’s eyes snapped to attention, his eyes glanced back and forth between the letter and Leilani.

“Your mother wrote to you?”

“Yup, to be honest I forgot to write to her ever since Helgen. I was ashamed that all the belongings she had given me were taken because I was captured and almost killed. She even sent some money for my twenty-third birthday, that letter really got to me. You can read it if you want.”

Vilkas grabbed the letter and quickly read through the paragraphs, Farkas kept his eyes on Leilani as his brother scanned the letter.

“What did your mother want sister?”

“Well she’s coming to Skyrim to teach at the college of Winterhold, she is going to teach the mages about the beauty of restoration magic. A very underestimated school if I do say so myself, I want you two to meet her when she arrives. It’s customary for the prospective groom and his family meet mine before the wedding, so now that she’s coming here that makes it much easier.”

Vilkas finished the letter and looked up to meet Leilani’s gaze, she wanted him to meet her mother. The only person left that Leilani fully trusted besides those of the companions, the thought of meeting the woman that made Leilani into the person she is today slightly terrified the nord.

“You want us to meet your mother love?”

“Yup, in fact you have no say. When she arrives we are taking a trip to Winterhold, just you, me, and Farkas.”

“So in about a month your mother should be situated at the college, you should hurry and write a letter back to her. So the courier has time to find the wagon or caravan she may be traveling with.”

“I plan to write her after supper, right now I just want to bask in the knowledge that my mother is still alive and that she is coming to Skyrim. I haven’t felt more at ease than I have right now, well besides when I wake up in your arms Vilkas.”