Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Crusaders Reborn Saga
Stats:
Published:
2019-01-08
Completed:
2021-10-16
Words:
263,423
Chapters:
87/87
Comments:
44
Kudos:
61
Bookmarks:
8
Hits:
4,518

Crusaders Reborn

Chapter 61: Misery in Miletos

Chapter Text

"Ishtar! How are things moving along?" shouted Julius.

"They're proceeding... smoothly, your highness." said Ishtar in a soft voice

Julius snorted "I doubt that. If it were really going 'smoothly', then I wouldn't be hearing reports of resistance." he shrugged his shoulders "but I imagine that the sacrifices put quite the scare on the locals."

"The families all go to pieces when their child is to be sacrificed. This is especially true for the mothers. The suicide rate among those who have had their children taken is high." admitted Ishtar.

"Hmm... we're going to have to find a way to put a stop to that. We may need corpses, but we have a need for workers as well." said Julius "Now how do we make that happen..." he pondered.

"Well, sir... maybe we could do it less often?" suggested Ishtar demurely

"Less?! Why the hell would we do it less?!" demanded Julius

"Because, your highness, we have a surplus. We have an excess of children on hand. The castles are all already full, and we still have yet to gather them all. Also, the population is going down and the people aren't having more children. They are to afraid of losing them, they don't want to risk the heartbreak so... they simply aren't having kids. Thus we'll run out of... stock, soon. What I am saying is... the current system has become impractical.

Julius seemed to be lost in thought for a few moments, then he said "Have the extras sent to the capital. I'll groom them myself and give them a better chance at becoming loyal and noble citizens of the empire. It's worth a shot, suicide rate might go down if the parents think that there is a chance that not only will their child live, but earn a better life for themselves."

"I... suppose that is the best option." she said hesitatingly. "But what about Emperor Arvis? He has made his position on the child hunts clear. How will he respond to them being brought to his very home?"

Julius gave an exasperated sigh "Don't worry about my father. I'll handle him." he said, walking off.

Ishtar watched him walk off with a pained expression on her face. "Julius, what made you choose that route, rather than something worse? Was it some genuine kindness that has been allowed to remain in your heart? Or is it practicality snd manipulation on Loptyr's part?" she thought to herself, then she groaned when she heard her mother calling her name.

"Ishtar! Where's his Imperial Highness?" Hilda demanded

"Ah, mother, you just missed him. He was only here for a short visit, he's left for Belhalla already."

"And why, pray tell, didn't you go with him?" demanded Hilda "We know that he likes you, all of Grannvale does. Spending more time with him might make him decide to tie the knot sooner." Ishtar sighed and looked away, slightly shaking her head. Hilda grabbed her face and made her look directly into her eyes "I'm serious about this Ishtar. Tell me, at this point, when do you expect for him to make you his princess?"

"I... I have no idea." stammered Ishtar, pulling away.

"Well, get an idea! I expect for you to be planning your wedding in the near future. Ishtar, YOU are the most worthy partner for his highness. Not only are you a Freege, but as much as his highness the emperor likes to pretend otherwise, you are also a Velthomer. You are pureblooded loyalist power. Don't. Mess. This. Up. Or, as I promised after that... incident with that traitorous mercenary your father hired, there WILL be consequences for you, my dear. Do I make myself clear?" demanded Hilda.

"Yes, mother." whimpered Ishtar

"Good. Now, on to the subject of the arriving rebels." said Hilda, regaining her poise. "These criminals who stole Alster from us, these murderers who stole the lives of my husband and dear son... I shall personally make them pay for their monstrous actions of derailing my aspirations for the future. In the meantime, Ishtar, I expect you to go to Miletos city in order to prepare the children for transport to the capital."

"Y-Yes mother." said Ishtar, and she quickly slipped away.


Upon arrival in Miletos, Seliph was dragged into a meeting with the local leaders. Eslene made the introductions to him, and then left in a hurry so that she could give her new friends a tour. There was Airgid, whom Seliph had already met before during the winter festival in Thracia. There was also Oir, a skinny, balding man with golden hair and a reddish-gold beard. His skin was suspiciously saggy, indicating that he was once much fatter. His position as the head of the merchants guild gave a handy explanation for that. One of these men simply didn't look like he belonged. His name was Beoir, and he had scraggly red hair and a long, shaggy beard, a distant look in his dark brown eyes, several stains on his tunic, and several pockets that looked suspiciously bottle shaped.

Delmund observed them from a short distance away. He commented on this man's appearance to a nearby girl. "Umm... were they lacking in membership? Because it looks like they just grabbed a vagabond off the street and made HIM a council member out of desperation."

The girl looked at him surprised for a moment, but then she snorted. "No, my father's not a vagabond, but I don't blame ya for thinking so. He might as well be one with how he drinks and behaves."

Delmund looked at Beoir, then he examined the girl. She had orange hair that went as far as her shoulders, hazel eyes, lightly tanned skin (light enough to appear white at first glance), and a statuesque nose. Her dress was crimson, and form fitting, and accentuated by a decently large cleavage window. Delmund liked what he saw, but he wasn't about to change his attitude in order to win her favor. That just wasn't his style. "Obviously you took after your mother, and it makes me have to ask, are you absolutely sure that she was willing?"

The girl gave Delmund an incredulous look, then burst out into laughter "I sometimes wonder that myself." she said. "Oh, boy you're a bold one. First you insult my father to my face, then you look me over and drool over what you see, but instead of moving right to desperate apologies and flattery to get on my good side, you insult my father even more and insinuate I'm a bastard by force. I ought to slap you for that, but for some reason, I don't wanna. Though, if you don't mind sating my curiosity, why didn't you bother trying to change your tone? I can tell that you like what you see." she asked

"I don't see the point in acting nice. I'm not a nice person, and anyone that you meet who knows me could tell you that I'm trouble. Besides, look at you, I don't stand a chance with you, it doesn't matter that I'm technically a noble. So why the hell should I bother acting any differently than I always do? Show them your true face from the start, that's what I say." said Delmund, shrugging his shoulders.

"And already you stand a better chance than any other young man that I've met. I happen to completely agree with you there. I'm not nice either, and I never saw the point in acting like I am. Beoir blames his drinking problem on my attitude. Which I'd take seriously if he hadn't already spent years blaming his drinking problem on my existence before then. Anyways, what's your name razor tongue? Wait, is it something that I can guess? Ooh, I'l guess, let me see, is there an 'ass' somewhere in it? Like Bass Tard. Please tell me your name is Bass Tard." she asked, smirking.

Delmund gave her a genuine grin. "My name is Delmund. No ass anywhere in that, though if you're looking to call me a bastard, well, you got me. I'm the bastard of the former Lord of Nordion's bastard."

"Gee, your lineage is about as appealing as mine." snarked the girl "At least you got a decent name out of it, mine's not as appealing. It's Salann. It literally means 'salt' in some language or dialect I never bothered to learn. I guess daddy thought I was the salt of the earth when I was born."

"Nice to meet you Salann." said Delmund "and... oh god damn it, I promised myself that I'd never say that to anyone without an insult attached, but... I just can't think of one for you right now."

"Don't worry, those words coming from your mouth are insult enough." said Salann. The two grinned at one another. "You like heckling?" she asked.

"Do you like demonstrating to the world what you've got?" he responded

She snickered and spun about. "So, that leader of yours, she-"

"He." corrected Delmund.

Salann did a double take. "That's a guy?!" Delmund managed a nod as he cracked up. "Do you have proof?" she whispered.

"I grew up with him. I've seen the proof with my own eyes, though there isn't much proof to be seen, so you'd be forgiven for being mistaken regardless." said Delmund. The two cackled away in their corner as Seliph and Beoir watched them, and uneasy feeling growing in their hearts. Beoir took a swig out of one of his bottles and offered it to Seliph, who debated accepting.


While the city of Perluke had been reduced to only a shadow of its former glory, its citizens managed to clean up for the arrival of the Liberation Army. They got a market up and running in the time it took them to arrive and get settled. The merchants prepared the best goods that they had remaining, hoping and praying that they had something that the passing soldiers would take interest in and actually pay for. The helpless members of the population lined the streets, in hopes that the members of the Liberation Army were feeling generous.

Being well aware of this, once the crusaders had settled on where their quarters were, they went into the town with lined pockets and generous spirits. While the wares were not nearly as good as they used to be, a lot of money was spent that day, and plenty of alms given. Many of the higher ups in the army bought gifts for one another. Seliph bought Lana a necklace of flower shaped beads, Ares bought Leen a navy blue dancing outfit (and a passing observer could've sworn that they saw him buy a silken white one in a discreet manner). Arthur bought Fee a green headband, and Shanan made several purchases. He bought Patty a new scarf and black, arm-length glove. For Larcei, he bought a spiked bracelet, and for Ulster a new chest-plate. Nanna bought Leif a blue cape, while he clandestinely bought her some maternity dresses. He wanted to buy his sister something, but he was at a loss over what to get her.

Overall, while the majority of the purchases were outfit pieces or accessories, there were plenty of weapon, equipment, and food purchases. Lester and Laylea shared a large Gyro, while Finn had what we'd identify as a Greek salad, and Altena bought several kabobs, and shared them with her brother and with Corpul. Of significant note, Johan privately had a talk with Shanan and Ulster, and then headed to the jewelry sellers. After thinking it over a bit, Ulster followed.

While everyone was distracted by the marketplace, a cloaked figure made his way though and approached Julia. It was Archbishop Manfroy. A while back, around the time the Crusaders first arrived in the Thracian Peninsula, Julius had sensed her survival (or rather, Loptyr had sensed the fragment of himself that had been inside her since birth). Initially, he had kept it to himself, but when it became clear that the Liberation Army had won the Thracian campaign and would be heading towards Jugdral via Miletos, and that Julia was becoming an actual threat, he told Manfroy and ordered him to lie in wait for her, and take her away at the earliest opportunity that he found.

Manfroy had decided that that opportunity was now."Hello, my dear. It has been a long time." he told her.

Julia looked up from the merchant's stand "Hmm? Who are you she asked, not noticing the merchant fleeing in terror behind her.

Manfroy was momentarily surprised "So, you've no memory of me, do you?" he said, then he shrugged it off. "Just as well, now come with me." he demanded, grabbing her arm.

A revolting sensation shot thorough her entire frame as his hand met her skin. She looked at Manfroy, and the image of Loptyr transposed itself over him in her mind's eye. She panicked "No, No! Let go... Let go of me!" she cried

Manfroy seemed exasperated "Just like your mother. There's no use in resisting, my dear. Now come along quietly."

"No... Stop It! Help! HELP!" she cried, and her cries were heard and her distress seen. Some nearby soldiers were thrown to the side like rag dolls when Manfroy raised his hand and black tendrils rose out of the ground. Suddenly, there was an arrow lodged in the back of his hand. Manfroy spun to see that Lester was rapidly firing arrows at him. Manfroy positioned Julia in front of himself so that he would stop firing, then he launched a merchant's wagon at Lester. Lester dropped to the ground and rolled to avoid getting hit, then grabbed an arrow while in a crouching position, only to realize that he had dropped his bow, which was now trapped under the wreckage. He lamely threw the arrow in his hand, as if that would do any good.

Manfroy smirked, but then cried out in pain as a throwing axe grazed the back of his neck. It boomeranged back, and Manfroy ducked out of the way and watched it return to Leif's hand. More tendrils rose out of the ground, and Manfroy directed them at Leif, but he hacked through the ones that tried to attack his legs. Changing tactics, Manfroy managed to trap his arms, with his axe held in a sword's ready position. However, the blade seemed to shift and change shape, and a piece of it launched out at Manfroy, at the speed and in the general shape of a thrown dagger, heading straight for Manfroy's head. He tried to dodge, but it wound up lodged in his shoulder. The metal turned fluid and seemed almost... alive, and it tried to travel into his body in order to destroy him from the inside.

While he was dealing with that, out of the corner of his eye, he spotted the Isaac family, charging at him with murderous intent in their eyes. Manfroy touched a hand to his chest, and his body began to transform into a black goop. It started to melt into the floor, but not before first launching itself at Julia and getting a firm grip on her, dragging her down with it. Julia was now trapped with her body halfway in the ground, entrapped in a black mass that resembled bubbling tar, but dragged her down like quicksand. Ulster reached out his arm and clasped her hand firmly in his own and tried to pull her out, with his family coming to his aid, but the black goop simply coated her arm, and then it melted away and dissipated, leaving only scant traces behind. Ulster cried out in frustration and repeatedly punched the ground.


Your highness, everything has been prepared. All of our men are in position." the dark mage told Hilda. "However, in the chaos, there were a few escapees. From what we can tell, they've made their way to a village near the southern base of Mount Lymphus. What do you want us to do to them?"

"They What?! Of all the nerve! Do they realize what they'll do to my reputation!" exclaimed Hilda "I'd have thought that these people would've learned better than that by this point. Oh well, kill them, and then maybe the people will finally learn their lesson. But who to send, I wonder... Hmm... General Ridale seems to have lost his spine and motivation lately, send orders to him to execute all the escapees."

"But ma'm, he's with Bishop Morigan right now, shouldn't we send someone who is closer, someone who's already here, namely-?"

Hilda gave him a glare, but then she shrugged and said, "They are cornered at the foot of Mount Lymphus already, we just have to round them up. Not getting them immediately will help to get their hopes up, and we both know that the higher the hope, the sweeter it is when it's crushed, don't we?" said Hilda, grinning wickedly.

The bishop grinned "Yes ma'm, I agree. I shall send word immediately."


Word of the escaped children reached the Liberation Army in Perluke the day after. Lewyn brought the news to Seliph as soon as he heard. This did not do wonders for his mood. He was already agitated by the news of Julia's kidnapping the day before while he was absent. Especially since Shanan had informed him that he'd recognized the man as the same one who had stolen Seliph's mother away from him, so many years ago AND because the defectors from the sect had investigated the site of the kidnapping and had confirmed the man's identity as Archbishop Manfroy. So he ordered Lewyn to spread the word throughout the castle so as to stir the men into action. Then he hurriedly questioned the local leaders on the quickest route to the village, and rather sharply too, when there was a delay. Recent events had been stirring him into a rage.


The news reached General Ridale at about the same time that it reached Seliph. At first, Bishop Morigan simply told him that he was ordered to go into battle, which had raised his hopes. These hopes were quickly dashed when the orders were clarified. "You've got to be kidding me." said Ridale "We've got an army of rebels camping in Perluke, and you want me to chase after some stray children?!" he exclaimed.

"Yes, we do. After you've dealt with the runaways, THEN and only then, can you go after the rebels. Before you protest, General, think for a moment. As a soldier of the empire, you don't have a choice in the matter. Unless, of course, you're considering the life of a traitor?" asked Morigan

"O-Of course not sir, we'll leave at once." stammered Ridale. As he was preparing to leave, he was informed that the news of the children's escape would probably be reaching the rebels soon and that they'd move in for a rescue mission. This sealed Ridale's mind. If he kept his men going at a normal, or even a slow march, then they'd probably reach the runaways at the same time as the Crusaders, thus giving him an excuse to ignore orders. He explained as much to his men, and they agreed with his plan. Thus, the "race" to the children was on.