Actions

Work Header

Election Day Special: If You’re Reading This, Live in the US, and Can Vote, Consider Voting Instead of Reading This Because this Fic is Just Amethyst and Steven Talking About Absolutely Nothing Interesting For Several Minutes.

Summary:

I'm being serious, that's really all that happens.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

“Okay so ... the thing says we’re supposed to stand here and talk about nothing interesting so people will go vote instead of reading this,” Steven said, reading from a sheet of paper.

“Got it!” Amethyst said, giving a thumbs up.

Steven and Amethyst stood in the middle of the beach house for several minutes saying nothing.

Steven cleared his throat.

Amethyst nodded. Then she put her finger in her ear, pulled out some gunk, then flicked it to the floor.

Steven glanced at the floor, shuffling one foot.

The floor was dirty. He made a note to clean it later.

Amethyst scratched behind her neck.

“So uh ...” she coughed. “You were playing that new Undertale thing?”

“Deltarune,” Steven said.

“Yeah that. How is it?”

“Pretty good. Preeeeettty good. I can’t say anything about it other than it’s good.”

“Ah okay. It’s one of those?”

“Yep.”

“Ah.”

Steven and Amethyst glanced at the floor again.

Steven exhaled.

“Connie got me to read stuff on that Webtoons app too,” Steven said.

“Yeah?” Amethyst said.

“Yeah. So it’s like toons. On the web.”

“That’s a hot new concept!”

“Heh. But yeah it’s like a bunch of comics.” Steven scratched his shoulder. “Let’s Play is pretty good. Really funny, good character writing. Um ... Lore Olympus, that’s really good too. Like the art style is amazing but sometimes it’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on some chapters, but like ... it has a cool style.”

“That sounds cool.”

“Yeah ...” Steven lowered his voice. “Yeah ...”

“Hey!” said a voice behind Steven.

He turned around to see White Pearl, Peedee, and Jeff by the front door.

“Hey uh ... you gonna need us for anything today?” Peedee said.

“Oh uh,” Steven shook his head. “Nope. Sorry guys, we’re kinda ... we’re kinda doing the election day thing now? We’re supposed to be boring so people will go out and vote instead of hanging out here.”

“Ohhhhh,” Jeff said. “That’s meta. It’s kinda like that comic ‘Metaman’. The comic was from a first person POV and it involved you buying the comic and reading the comic of you buying the comic. It went on like that for thirty pages and was terrible.”

“That does sound pretty terrible and pretentious,” Peedee said. He rolled his eyes and grabbed Jeff’s hand. “Alright, we’ll go hang out in the storage unit with all the ‘Steven’s Corruption’ stuff. Come on, Jeff.” Jeff and Peedee walked out the door. White Pearl, however, lingered in the living room.

White Pearl blinked and asked, “Steven, is my story updated anymore or--”

“He doesn’t know,” Steven said. “I think he hit burnout a little bit but we’ll let you know if that changes.”

“Okay because the last chapter really made it seem like there should be a next chapter--”

“We know. I think he feels guilty about it, but he really appreciates how much everyone likes it! So ... we’re really really sorry about that. I think he just doesn’t want to update it if he’s not feeling it and have the quality slip. I mean, that’s what I think.” Steven smiled while slowly turning his head towards the camera, staring for a couple seconds, then turning away.

White Pearl sighed.

“Alright fine ...” White Pearl blinked. “Can I help with this?”

“... well .. I guess that’d be okay!” Steven said. “We just need to keep doing nothing interesting so people can vote.”

“I see.” White Pearl thought for a moment. “What’s voting?”

“Uh ... we’ll talk about that later, Pearl,” Steven said.

“Should we uh ... should we talk about voting or something?” Amethyst asked.

“No no ... we already asked people to vote, that’s enough,” Steven said. “I think most of them have gotten the point and stopped reading by now, but let's just keep going for a few more minutes.”

White Pearl stayed perfectly still.

Amethyst and Steven stood watching her. They had an impromptu staring contest with White Pearl. Despite not actually knowing there was a contest going on, White Pearl won handedly.

“Ah ...” Steven looked on his wrist. But he didn’t have a watch so he had to then pull out his phone to tell the time. “I think that’s good enough. Thanks for the help everybody.”

“No problem!” Amethyst said.

“You’re welcome, Steven,” White Pearl said.

“What should we do now?” Amethyst said.

“Um ... I dunno. Whatever we want to I guess?” Steven said.

“How about we fuse and go try to fight White Diamond?”

“Oh wow! Yeah! That sounds awesome!” Steven said. “That’d be really fun for people to see!”

“I agree!” White Pearl said.

THE END.

Notes:

I'm imagining this is most people's reaction to this

 

Seriously though if you can vote, consider voting. That is all.