Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 3 of When the Wind Blows
Stats:
Published:
2018-10-13
Completed:
2018-10-23
Words:
9,890
Chapters:
10/10
Comments:
72
Kudos:
94
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,648

Until Morning Light

Summary:

Four years after the events of I Will Catch You, Tengor gets out on parole and comes after Spock and McCoy. It is up to Joanna to save them from certain death.

Notes:

...and so it continues...

As always, I'd love to read your comments!

Chapter Text

Leonard McCoy brought his fist down on the table with enough force to upset the glass of Saurian brandy he had poured himself with shaking hands only minutes before.

 

“HOW?” he demanded angrily. “How did he get parole? After only four years. How is it possible?”

 

“Leonard…” Spock was trying to pacify the doctor but his calm voice seemed to have the opposite effect.

 

“No, Spock. I don’t want to hear it. I don’t want to hear any arguments in favour of releasing this lunatic. I told the board at the hearing and I’m telling you now. The man is criminally insane!”

 

Spock regarded the emotional human silently for a moment, wiping up the liquid on the table.

 

“It is illogical to dwell on that which cannot be changed,” Spock stated carefully. He poured a new shot of brandy and handed McCoy the glass which the doctor downed in one go.

 

“Illogical!” McCoy raved. “This is illogical alright. In two weeks they’re releasing a torturer, a kidnapper who was given a ten-year sentence after only four years! I would have thought you’d be more upset about this. After all he did to you!”

 

“I do not become ‘upset’…”

 

“God, Spock!” McCoy interrupted him. “We’ve been together almost five years now…”

 

“Four years, six months, 4 days,” Spock supplied.

 

“…and you still want to tell me you don’t become upset? I’ve seen you upset! When you thought he had Joanna…”

 

Spock’s eyes darkened. “I was going to say,” he stated testily, “that I do not become ‘upset’ about events that do not justify this emotion. Tengor’s release should have no bearing on our lives. The conditions of his parole will stipulate that he must not come near us, nor near Joanna, that he cannot commit any crimes and that he has to regularly report to Federation security.”

 

McCoy threw up his arms in exasperation. “Great! Is that supposed to make me feel better? What did I go to that parole hearing for, telling them all about what it was like watching him electrocute you? I had to resuscitate you, Spock. You were dead there for a minute. Dead in my arms!”  

 

McCoy turned away from the Vulcan, his whole body shaking.

 

“I sat there crying when I gave my evidence, for God’s sake. A grown man crying like a baby!”

 

The doctor took a deep breath and rounded on the Vulcan.

 

“You should have been there. You should have given evidence. I still don’t understand why you didn’t do it!”

 

Spock looked at the floor, trying to avoid the doctor’s accusing stare.

 

“As you know, I was engaged winding up ship’s business after the five year mission, finishing reports…”

 

“We were docked at Earth spaceport and the hearing was in the Antarctica correctional facility,” McCoy interrupted him angrily. “You could have beamed down for 20 minutes, given your evidence and gone right back to your reports!”

 

Spock looked uncomfortable. “It was a public hearing,” he said, willing McCoy to understand.

 

“I bloody well know it was,” the doctor replied mercilessly. “was there!”

 

“I did not feel…” Spock gave McCoy a pleading look, “that I would be able to talk about what happened without displaying emotion.” He paused for a moment. “I was afraid I would, as you put it, ‘cry like a baby’ in front of strangers.”

 

Spock’s shoulders slumped and all of McCoy’s anger suddenly evaporated.

 

“Oh, Spock.” He walked over to the Vulcan and pulled him into a tight embrace. Spock leaned into the contact, taking a deep breath.

 

“I can’t believe we’re fighting because of that Cespian,” McCoy mumbled. “And you’re right, it doesn’t matter. It won’t affect us.”