Actions

Work Header

Until The Stars Go Out

Summary:

A thousand years ago, a young witch made a grave error in her haste in trying to save her best friend from death. While trying to save her, she inadvertantly turned her best friend into a creature of the night. In one night, a human was turned into a vampire, and a witch into an immortal.

A thousand years later, the witch and the vampire are still together, along with the witch's familiar, and a determined human that will not leave them alone while they survive the insane world of the supernatural.

During their travels, they stumbled upon Toronto, a place where they could settle down. Unfortunately, they cannot seem to find peace, as a rift in the fabric of reality seems to have formed in their new city.

Through the trials of saving both the city and keeping their family together, they once again must learn how to fight together as one.... or everything may fall apart.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Before

Notes:

I started posting this a few years ago but never actually finished. Now, though, I've been motivated to come back to this monster of a story and finish it - and the many off-shoots that come with it. There are changes from the original story, but I hope you enjoy this version all the same!

Chapter Text

In the thousand years I have been alive, I have learned that few things are certain. Those that are, however, need to be cherished, for they can slip through your fingers as quickly as they appear. Mortal life would be one. I never thought of my life as anything special. I would live, then I would die and go on to the afterlife, the next big adventure. But I never got that, and neither did those I hold most dear. 

“Aiya, my love, come here,” Aiya’s mother called from across the hut they lived in.

Looking up from the flowers her mother had let her pick earlier in the day, she smiled at her mother, “Yes, mother?” 

“I have something for you, darling.” With a nod, Aiya stood and stumbled over to her mother, grasping onto her mother’s knees when she reached her. “My sweet, sweet child. Mother loves you.”

“I love you too!” Smiling at her only child, Mairi pulled her onto her lap and waved her hand, electric blue energy pooling on her daughter’s lap, revealing a small kitten. The kitten, the little witch’s familiar, locked eyes with her, its bright purple eyes glowing when their gazes locked. “Mother…?”

“This is your familiar, little one.”

“Familiar? What is that, mother?” Mairi chuckled, watching as the little black kitten nuzzled against her daughter.

“You are a witch, my little one. You are a very strong and powerful witch, especially for your age. This little kitten is connected to you now, he will assist you as your magick grows.”

“But how, mother?” The little girl was confused, she couldn’t understand how a small cat with strange eyes could help her with the abilities she had inherited.

“That is something you will have to figure out on your own, my little one,” Aiya’s mother said with a small smile on her face as she watched her small daughter pet the black kitten.

It was a thousand years ago, when we were still human and carefree. When our lives did not consist of death and never-ending misery. When all we had to worry about was surviving in a time when it was not simple to do so.

“Come on, Saskia! I wish to show you something!” Aiya called from the meadow she sat in, waiting for her best friend to approach her, her familiar circling her feet.

“What is it Aiya? You know that if we stay out here past sunset, our fathers will not be pleased,” Saskia said sternly as she sat before her friend, smoothing out the skirt of her dress.

“It will only take a moment, Saskia. Do not fret, we will be back before the sun passes behind the mountains,” Aiya said chidingly, wanting her friend to see the new things she had learned from her mother’s grimoires.

“Very well. But let us make haste, Aiya,” Saskia rolled her eyes at her friend as a large grin appeared on the girl’s face. 

“Close your eyes for a moment, I will tell you when to open them.” Nodding slowly, Saskia did as she was instructed. 

Once Aiya was sure that her friend could not see her. She cupped her hands around a small crystal she had found amongst her mother’s possessions. Shutting her eyes as well, Aiya began muttering the incantation, “ De potestate et lunae lumen stellarum lumen semitis meis. Protege me a tenebris ad sidera mundus. ” 

Grinning gleefully when the crystal began to shine as bright as the stars, Aiya nudged her friend, prompting her to open her eyes.

“Wha- how did you-” Saskia was shocked, she could not fathom how her friend had created the light as she sat there with Nikolas, Aiya’s cat, snuggled in her lap.

“Magick! I found mother’s grimoires. Nikolas has been helping me focus my magick, Father tries to keep them away from me, but it’s like they’re calling to me. The spells in the grimoires are amazing, Saskia!” Aiya told her friend enthusiastically, practically vibrating with excitement.

“Are you sure this is safe, Aiya?”

“Fun things are not normally safe, Saskia.” 

With a sigh, Saskia inclined her head, slightly agreeing with her words. “We should go, Aiya. The sun has almost set.” 

Nodding absently, Aiya let the magic fade from the crystal before she let Saskia pull her up and lead her back to their village.

As children, turning into young adults, many things changed in our lives. Once I learned the wonders of magick, I learned very quickly to stay out of the way of my father, for he believed magick was the cause of my mother’s death. In the years after her death, he became cold and distant, locking away any memory of her. Not that it could keep me away from magick... and there were consequences.

“Saskia! Saskia, where are you?!” Aiya screamed as she ran through the village, feeling the connection she had magically made with Saskia begin to weaken. “Please Saskia! Answer me!” Aiya began to panic, her magic sparking at her fingertips. “Nikolas, go back to the hut, get mother’s grimoire! Hurry, Nik!” 

As the familiar nodded once and ran off, Aiya picked up her friend into her arms and stumbled across the village, sobbing as she clutched Saskia to her chest. 

As soon as Aiya burst through the door, she saw that Nikolas had gotten out the grimoire she had asked for, as well as some of the ingredients she needed. Setting Saskia down, she quickly put candles around her friend and grasped the grimoire in her hands, flipping through it until she found the correct spell. 

“This is it, I can do this. Nikolas, please, help me save her from this cruel and untimely death.” 

The tears streamed down her face as she took the small dagger her mother had passed onto her and slit her wrist, dripping the blood into her friend’s mouth as she chanted the words to the spell, willing the magick in her veins to complete the complicated spell. 

Sacrificium et sanguinem translationem ex virtute solis, lunae hostia ligabunt te volente. Da tuis in aeternum protegit a vulnerability hostiam velle, nisi quod ex ligno, Quercus alba. De translatione sanguinem sustinet daret tibi.

With a final push of her magic, Saskia gasped and sat up, faster than humanly possible. Before Aiya could realize what was happening, Saskia had lunged forward, the deep hunger within too much as she sank her newly elongated fangs into Aiya’s neck, piercing it and began to drain her of her life essence. Crying out, Aiya tried to push her best friend away, but could not find the strength. 

“I’m sorry my friend,” Aiya whispered as she let her magic flow towards her friend, bursting blood vessels in her brain. With a screech, Saskia launched herself away, a horrified look on her face as she saw what she had done.

“Aiya….”

“You bit me!” Cried Aiya, clutching the side of her neck as she watched her friend in horror, slowly realizing what was happening to her.

“Oh, my gods! Aiya, I am so sorry! Please, Aiya, I cannot control this hunger!” she cried, the inhuman shade of red of her eyes and the sharp set of teeth slowly fading as she controlled herself so as to not injure her best friend again.

“Well… okay. We will figure this out, Saskia. I swear to you,” she spoke softly as she took her crying and petrified friend into her arms, trying to calm her down. “I will always help you Saskia. Until the stars go out.”

Ever since the day I cursed my best friend, my sister, into the life of a creature of the night, we have stuck together. Through everything, I have always had Saskia and my familiar, Nikolas. 

A thousand years together, and we have never separated, no matter how much we have changed in our time together. Through the bitterness and hatred that I have shown towards the world, my family has stuck by me. And although I should be grateful to them, I cannot show them, for that is a weakness that I cannot afford. 

In my thousand years of life, I have learned that sentiment only leaves you vulnerable, for your enemies can use it against you, and I cannot protect my family if I have a weakness.

 

  • Aiya Starrason

Notes:

This is an original work that has several fandoms woven into it over time. I apologize if it's not what anyone likes, but it something that I loved writing and I sincerely hope that you love it as well!

Series this work belongs to: