Actions

Work Header

The Treasure We Seek

Summary:

Set in the Victorian Era. Rey is a young woman longing for a family she been seeking since her childhood. All she has is a locket of her parents. Missing at sea. Kylo is a young unmated Mermen and heir to the merpeople kingdom below. He not interested in settling down, but he seek adventure and he has explored the sea bed. Now he seek adventure above the sea. What will they found when the two meet?

Notes:

Smith is a common last name in England where I'm from so want to clear that up. Even though Han is hinted because of his death same on Padme and Anakin. Wanted to clear that up to void confusion. Now my grammar can suck sometimes. So sorry for it please don't judge me for it. I have seen worse grammar then mine out there. So our main man is a merman and a prince. Rey is a orphan holding out hope to find her long lost parents lost to the sea. Both expect to accept their chosen paths set for them by others, but seek something else out in the sea.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Women weren't allowed on cargo ships nor were they allow on exploration ships. This wasn't a party boat or a simple traveling ship for nobles, but she had to get on this ship and find them. Fourteen years have gone by. Her caretaker Unkar Plutt told her to give up. Their gone. Their dead. No one will hire a girl. True they wouldn't hire a girl, but a boy definitely. Rey had sold her old clothes and traded them for men clothing. A white shirt and a brown sleeveless vest. Brown float pants and brown working boots. Finally a brown cap or urchin. She tuck her long chestnut hair under the cap and practice deepening her voice. Luckily for her, her name was unisex.

"Name!" spoke a man in formal navy clothing holding a quill.

"I'm Rey!" she spoke deeply.

"Rey .... Family name?" the man asked.

"M-my, my f-family n-name?" Rey said with stock.

"What's the matter don't have one?" the navy man said noticing the embarrassment on Rey's face. "Alright. We'll give you a common name. How's Smith sound to you young man?"

"Great!" Rey said excitingly before couching to deepen her voice. "Great my fine sir."

"You sound quite young." the navy man said raising a eye brown. "How old are you?"

"Nineteen sir!" Rey said her heart racing.

"Well, that explains it. We need more cabin boys." he said finishing writing on the purges. "Fine young strong men to left, carry and clean. Of course you're skinny. Don't worry all that lifting and carrying will change that. Might even become captain one day because of it. Welcome abroad Rey Smith."

"Thank you sir." Rey said getting on broad.

She couldn't believe it. She was on a real cargo ship and she fooled the ship sign up. Her heart racing as she looked around the ship. Seeing the men at work. Which reminded her. She had to get to work herself to stay on this ship. Work she was used to since her days in the orphanage. So a cabin boy huh? Right time to lift, carry and clean.

"Oi, boy get here." yelled a sailor. "I heard we got a new lad."

"Yes, sir that's me Rey Smith." Rey said keeping her voice deep. "New cabin boy sir."

"Good, let me show you how to make a knot in these ropes in case a storm hits us while at sea." the sailor explained.

"Aye, aye sir!" Rey said saluting.

The sailor smiled at her. Clearly seeing a eager hard worker. So began to teach Rey to tie knots in the ropes. To make sure there good and tight. Never loose and never cut or over broad they go. Rey listen to every word the sailor said and watch him carefully. What she was learning meant life or death.

**********

Legends of the merpeople of the seas spread throughout the world and how no one have found their kingdom. There were sightings of sailors seeing beautiful mermaids. Long fair hair with pearls welded in between their long locks. They had three gills on either sides of their necks. Long fish tales to swim away when spotted. Bare chest covered partly with scales of green, blue, red and many other colours that shine in the sun. They missed out the sharp claws and fangs used for hunting.

The merpeople kingdom was great and a true mystery. The palace where the royal family lived was built long ago with marble and coral. Lit up with magic light orbs create by the wise mages of the merpeople. They were mermen and mermaids skilled in magic. They are wise and powerful protecting the kingdom since it's greatest lost. A elderly mermaid with a salmon pink tale and pale pink scales sat upon her throne. Her golden crown with gems braided into her graying hair.

"Ben!" a old mermaid called. "Ben, I command you to me."

"Mother!" appeared a dark hair merman with a long black tale and blue scales around his arms and chest. "You know I do not respond to that name anymore. Not since ....."

"Ben, my son." his mother spoke gently. "He gave his life for you.What we do as parents? We give ourselves to our children. You may go as Kylo Ren, but you are my son Ben Solo. Son to me, Queen Leia wife of the great Han Solo."

"I guess you wish for me to find and mate this year again?" Kylo asked with annoyance. "I don't want to settle just yet. I seek adventure. I seek to go above and explore ...."

"Appositely not!" Leia yelled. "You know very well the hot seasons attract human ships. They see you and capture you to put on display. They like to hunt our kind. Remember what happen long ago? What your grandfather told you what happen to your grandmother?"

"I don't care I am a grown merman ...." Kylo argue back.

"And heir to throne." Leia said rising from her throne and banging her staff down creating a quack. "If you wish to honor your father's memory then obey this law. It has kept our people safe. Sharks may took my husband, but I'll be damned if humans take my son. Mating season is coming and there are many young mermaids willing to bare children with you."

"Fine!" Kylo said swimming off angrily. "I'll obey the law, but I won't seek a mate this year."

Damn her! Yet her words were true. The sad end of Queen Padme broke his grandfather. His mother and uncle were only children when she was captured long ago. She gave herself to the human to stop them taking her children. What we do as parents? We give ourselves to our children. Dad! It had been fourteen years since he decided to be bold and pick a fight with a random shark to show off, but it resulted in a chase into a school of sharks and his father coming in to save him or it would have been him that day. Some days he wish it was him and not his father. He swam out of the palace to think and yet it was forbidden he seek the above to see the sky. Whether she likes it or not? He was going up there and break the law.