Actions

Work Header

Tales of Berseria The X: Beyond Calamity

Chapter 43: Destiny

Chapter Text

 


"Those who can not abandon anything will accomplish nothing."

-King Claudius Asgard-


Velvet raised her head. The clouds parted to reveal the moon, streaming down upon them brightly in a silver hue, calm and serene. "It's no longer red."

"The scarlet night's over," Eizen said, bending down on one knee near Velvet and Avernus. "I feel a shift in the earthpulse. It appears that waking up the Empyreans has averted the rumbling activities of the volcano. The mountain will not erupt. At least not for a few hundred years."

Eizen slowly pulled Avernus off Velvet's lap, with Rokurou joining him to help with the carry. "I guess whatever Avernus and Lailah did, had worked in our favour. Isn't that right, Lailah?" Rokurou said as he and Eizen each held each of Avernus' shoulders, ready to take him back to Van Eltia.

"Yes. The four Empyreans pushed Innominat away from the earthpulses. His domain is no longer affecting the mind of malakhim or humans." Lailah informed, her eyes followed Avernus' unconscious face that was heartbreakingly sleeping like an innocent child. Velvet caught an alarming feel of concern in Lailah's benevolent eyes.

"Lailah." Velvet called, and the fire malak turned to her. "Thank you. If it hadn't been for you, I don't think we could've awakened the four Empyreans. We're in your debt."

"I did what I had to do." Lailah nodded. "I'm happy that I could help you and Avernus, Velvet-san."

Magilou slid closer to Lailah, making herself visible to the lord of calamity. "Aren't you forgetting someone, Velvet?"

"You're right. Thank you-"

Magilou quickly interrupted Velvet. "I'm not like Lailah that a mere "thank you" satisfies me. I only accept gifts or gald in tens of thousands."

Velvet groaned in annoyance. "Forget it. I take it back."

Laphicet joined them and moved beside Lailah. "What was that illusory arte, Magilou?"

"My personal affair that I had prepared for the old man." Magilou giggled in pride. "It was to remind him how breaking someone's heart feels. In other words: Payback."

"That man was Claudin, am I right?"

"He was. Melchior loved him so much that he made an oath a hundred years ago to accompany him and see his vision through. Claudin's death hit him hard. Very hard." Magilou sneered, locking her arms behind her head, staring into the horizon with wicked satisfaction. "That was also his downfall. Hypocrisy at its finest."

"What about Avernus? I sensed a lot of malakhim souls and consciousnesses rushing to him. Wasn't that dangerous?" Laphicet wondered.

"Those souls you felt, Laphicet, were the wills of malaks who were suppressed and consumed by Innominat," Lailah answered. "Wills to live and wills to push on. Avernus gave his body as a vessel to outweigh the Melchior's magic of suppression." Her face went pale for a second as she remembered something, a vision of someone quietly resting under an apple tree in the Avalon. Lailah quickly switched her thoughts back. "Sometimes, little guidance can help lost souls. That's what shepherds are for, and that's what Avernus is for…."

"I bet malaks love an evil shepherd who gives them the freedom to express their emotions more than a benevolent one who binds them in prison. Did you know all of that from before?" Magilou asked, bringing her back to the matter at hand.

Lailah quickly glanced at Velvet with a sense of guilt before returning her attention to Magilou. "No, I heard whispers of another malak guiding me. For the souls, and even for getting back the sword."

Velvet's eyes suddenly glimmered in recognition. "Seres."

Lailah nodded. "Yes. I think that was how she introduced herself."

Velvet smiled. The reincarnation of her sister would not leave her side. Not till the end. "She is determined to see this through. As would I."

Eizen glanced over Avernus' head as he and Rokurou carried him on their shoulders. "Do you know anything about Avalon, Lailah? Was that real?"

Avalon. The mysterious island, hidden among worlds, where orchards of apple trees laden with glowing fruits and the grass was a soft green lawn. Filled with such peace as no men nor malak will never know on earth. That would be Eizen's next destination after they dealt with Artorius and Innominat.

"I-I have no idea. I'm sorry," Lailah answered. In her honesty, she was telling them the truth, but not the whole truth, and Velvet already knew. "All I know is Avalon is somehow connects both our world and the seraphim world."

"You mean the progenitor malakhim?" Eleanor asked.

"We're the same people. Those determined to follow their prime lords, the Empyreans, are called malakhims, which means "Holy Servants."

Laphicet gave Lailah a surprised and innocent look. "W-We are the servants?!"

An irritating hum from Eizen followed Laphicet's sentence. "We are servants of no one, Laphicet. Especially not the shepherds and not the Empyreans."

"Eizen is right. No one, not even malaks, has to be chained and used as tools." Eleanor expressed.

"The first malakhim followed the Empyreans out of their own free will. In the case of Innominat, no one knows. But he has no more control of the minds of most malakhim and humans. His domain is failing." Lailah answered.

"About Innominat, Phi. You are connected to him. What is he doing right now?" Velvet asked.

Laphicet closed his eyes and took a deep breath, tapping into the earthpulses. "The Empyreans drove him away from the earthpulse. His body has escaped to the sky above the Empyrean's throne. Artorius is with him too."

"If that's the case, what Lailah said is true. Humanity's amplified resonances will diminish, and a lot of malakhim will regain their free will," Magilou deducted. "The exorcist will likely lose a good number of their forces."

"What about you, Eleanor? Have you lost your resonance?" Rokurou asked.

Eleanor cocked her head and shot a glance at everyone as they traversed the snowing road. "Sorry to disappoint, but I can still see you. Evil daemons, malakhims, witches, ladies of the lakes, and rogue shepherds alike."

Lailah clapped her hands and beamed. "I knew it, Eleanor-san! Avernus told me that you are naturally strong!"

Lailah's sweet and delicate compliment made Eleanor blushed. "Thank you, you're so kind, the lady of the lake."

Lailah hadn't got used to her title, and soon she joined Eleanor in having rosy cheeks. Laphicet paced to Lailah's side in excitement. "I like it a lot. It suits you, Lailah!"

"I-It does?"

Magilou stroked her chin. Thoughts of endless possibilities of how she can use the lady of the lake's power stormed her mind. "So, Lailah, what can you do with those powers?"

"I can only assist the shepherd with guidance. Anything more, it has to be decided by Avernus." Lailah lowered her head in shame. "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry, Lailah. When your big brother wakes up, we will-" Before Magilou could finish her sentence, Velvet smacked her head. Her jester hat nearly fell off, and she stumbled forward. "Hey!"

"Leave Lailah out of it." Velvet frowned at the witch. "It is up to me if I need any more power to deal with Artorius, not you."

"Ah, you are no fun. Can't you understand?! You have the power of four gods under your claws! You can order your faithful Shadow to snap his finger and erase everything from existence!"

"For now, let us worry about getting back to Van Eltia. Then we'll decide on what to do with the powers."

The team hiked their way back from the mountain and back to Hellawes. In the port, Benwick and the rest of the crew were anxiously waiting for them.

"Welcome back! I take it you defeated the legates."Benwick greeted them, and his eyes instantly fell upon Avernus. "I guess he did something stupid again?"

Velvet waved her hand. "What's new? But we got the legates. That leaves Artorius and Innominat."

"Report, Benwick. How do you feel? Is everyone back to normal?" Eizen asked.

Benwick bobbed his head, sticking his chest out in salutation."Aye, aye! We're better than ever. It seems whatever tugged at our minds has already disappeared. We're ready and able for your orders."

"We need to have a plan before rushing into the final battle. Avernus needs to wake up too."Velvet suggested. Suddenly, two new colourful Normins grabbed her attention as they were sitting beside Grimoirh on the deck. "Who're those?"

"They came here looking for the shepherd, talking about paying their tributes before going on their ways and finding their missing friend," Benwick answered.

Velvet climbed the stairs and marched toward the Normins. "What do you want?"

Grimorih beckoned to the green and red normin behind her, and they joined her. "They are Normin Heerow and Normin Krimson. They've come here to meet the Shepherd or, precisely, the son of Claudin."

Velvet scowled, making the small Normins flinch for a moment in fear. "What do you want with Avernus? And what's your business with him?"

The green one gathered enough courage to bow slightly. "G-Greetings, lord of calamity. We have previously travelled the world alongside King Claudius and Artorius. We just came here to see Claudin's son."

"You've travelled with Artorius?" Velvet asked, turning to Grimoirh.

"Might as well let them speak," Girmoirh suggested.

Velvet crossed her arms. "Fine, but you need to talk before I let you see Avernus."

Seeing no choice but to go through with the interrogation, the green one began the tale of King Claudin, how he found Artorius as an orphan, raising and training him under his wings to become his most beloved disciple. Then, how things turned to the worst, and Claudin had to sacrifice himself to save Artorius' life in Lothringen.

Most of this information was nothing new to them. But the story of Artorius sparked her interest. "Another death on his hand." Velvet blamed Artorius for the death of Claudin too.

The red Normin shook his head. "Artorius didn't do anything wrong. There was no other way Claudin could have saved the boy, and he had already stretched that oath to its limits."

Velvet was still not satisfied. Even though Avernus didn't know his father, Velvet felt that Avernus losing his father was also Artorius' fault."Why did he sacrifice his life? Why was Artorius so important?"

"Claudin believed in the purity of Artorius's spirit. He entrusted his hopes and the future of the world to his disciple!"

"But he had a son back in the far continent." Velvet said.

Krimson lowered his head in sorrow. "He didn't know. If he did…." He paused before raising his head again. "But it's not the only sad thing. After that, Artorius kept blaming and blaming himself for the death of Claudin. He tried to do everything he could to live up to Claudin's ideals, with no one else to help him. He travelled the world, teaching folks about malakhim and daemons and how important it is to have a pure heart. But people had lived in peace so long, and they didn't care for his stories. And in the end, the four Empyreans drifted into slumber."

"He blamed himself again, I presume?" Magilou joined them, standing beside Velvet.

"Yes. And Artorius left us, journeying to the east, all by his lonesome."

Magilou looked, and they shared the same assumption. "Eastgand. Which means..."

"Aball." Velvet added. "Benwick said you wanted to join your friend. Did they go to Eastgand?"

"Yes. He took off a few days ago, but we heard the news about Claudin's son and decided to come and find you first." Krimson answered, waiting for Velvet's permission.

"We'll take you to Aball. I have some business there too." Velvet said, waving her hand afterward as soon as she saw Eizen and Rokurou coming out of the crew quarters. "You can go and see Avernus." Velvet raised a scolding finger, frowning. "But try anything funny, or be a nuisance around him, and I will throw you out into the sea to be shark bait."

The Normins bowed cautiously before following Grimorih to Avernus' cabin. The rest joined Velvet, with Magilou moving a bit closer with a snarky face. "What a tragedy. A king gave up wealth and power to protect the world as an exorcist, sacrificing his life to save his disciple, only to have everything fall apart at the hands of the lord of calamity and his son."

Velvet groaned faintly, staying silent.

"Did you ever meet Claudin, Magilou?" Eleanor asked.

"No. I never met the man in person. But it doesn't matter. Meeting his son was enough to know who he was."

Velvet suddenly took off. "I'm going to check on Avernus." And she entered the quarters in haste. As Velvet entered the cabin, she saw the two normins had climbed the bed, sitting around Avernus and playing with his loose hair. Their giggles soon came to an abrupt end. Velvet swept a threatening glare over the two Normins, and they retreated to the other side of the chamber where Grimorih was quietly studying Innominat's book as usual and Morgirm, who was lying down and resting like a house cat.

Velvet brushed her hand on Avernus' forehead and then felt his neck with the back of her hand. "It's warmer than usual." Velvet noticed his flushing red cheeks. "Fever…"

Along with that familiar sense of concern, a stream of old memories washed over her: The first time Velvet properly met Avernus. She couldn't tell for sure, but the word that crossed her mind about him was that he looked "intriguing" to her compared to the other teenage boys in the village.

For the first time in Velvet's life, a part of her brain was unexpectedly excited to see him wake up. All fired up for a strange guy. But then another reality kept interfering with her emotions: taking care of Laphi and their household.

The following day, life turned out differently as Avernus joined her in hunting for boars. Niko previously described her experience seeing her crush as butterflies in the stomach. As cliche as it could get, it was an accurate description of what Velvet felt.

Velvet giggled to herself. She remembered when Avernus protected her from the boar attack, in his embrace, her skin tingled, and her heartbeat erratically in her chest that she thought it might fly out.

All of her feelings were left unanswered, forgotten to the time, and lost behind the thick veil of despair and hate.

"I see your mind is conflicted, Lord of Calamity," Grimorih said, flipping another page of the book.

Morgrim raised on her paws. "Fear not. He'll be up sooner than you think."

Velvet dipped a clean cloth in a bowl of water beside his bed and gently placed it on his forehead. "I know. Avernus is strong, and he will pull through." She left his side and walked to the table. "Grimoirh, I'd like to know everything about Innominat. Even the smallest details."

The door opened, and Magilou, Laphicet, and Lailah joined them. Grimorih closed the book. "I told you everything that is written in the book. I'm sorry if that's not enough."

"That doesn't help me that much with..." Velvet mumbled to herself, but she immediately stopped before spilling her intentions.

"However, one thing you should know," Grimoirh added. "...is that the power Innominat and the Therions possess are fundamentally the same. As Avernus told me, they are equivalents of sub lords, which means they share the same spiritual capacity to devour malevolence. In other words, they are all connected as one body."

Velvet raised her bandaged hand, and her tense expression loosened. "Connected and the same, huh?" She dropped her arm. "That's all I needed to hear."

Grimorih narrowed her eyes, instantly reading Velvet's intention. Killing Innominat without endangering the lives of therions and Laphicet was an impossible task.

Grimoirh glanced at Avernus, sighing before turning her attention back to Velvet. They both read each other's minds. Velvet suddenly left the room in a hurry before Grimoirh had a chance to interrogate her.


On Van Eltia's deck, silence caressed Velvet's soul like a cool breeze summer, southing her jagged edges. She leaned against the railing, staring into the calm ocean as Van Eltia glided over the sea. A glimmer of hope illuminated one path to the future. Something deep inside, behind all that wrath and fury, wanted to leave this world with hope. Lost in the old memories of her dead brother, footsteps and squeaking of the door whirling on its hinges brought her focus back to reality. Her head slowly turned, and she saw Lailah and Laphicet coming to her side.

"You two should go to your rooms and get some sleep." Velvet advised.

"I've got something for you, Velvet-san," Lailah said, opening her hand as golden sparks began to dance around the space above it. An apple formed out of those glowing clouds of dust. Lailah offered it to Velvet with a gentle smile behind it. "Here. I picked it up when we were in Avalon."

The apple rolled into Velvet's hand. It reflected the moon's shine, radiating with that colour of love's blush. It rested in the nest of Velvet's bandaged fingers. She felt a calming coolness upon her palm.

"It's a Fortune apple. Lailah gave me one too." Laphicet said, bringing his own lucky apple out of his satchel. "The legends I read about these are that they bring luck to anyone who has them."

"Avernus told me that you and Laphicet love apples," Lailah said and suddenly blushed. "So, I thought I decided to pick some when we were there."

"Avernus is right. I love apples." Velvet giggled. "I appreciated the thought. Thanks, Lailah."
The door swung open. Magilou and Eleanor exited the crew quarters, coming to their side. "Grimorih and Morgrim want to talk to you two," Eleanor said, and after exchanging surprised glances with each other, Lailah and Laphicet left the deck.

Magilou suddenly sneered at Velvet, getting right to the point. "The thought freaks you out, doesn't it?"

Velvet instantly scowled. Magilou knew what was going on in her mind. It was no use hiding it from her. Eleanor's head was snapped at Magilou in wonder. "What do you mean?"

"Innominat..." Magilou kept her eye contact with Velvet. "And his connection to Laphicet and the Therions. If he dies, it will probably lead to all seven therions and Laphicet dying too."

Eleanor's eyes shifted from Magilou to Velvet. "Is it true?"

"Yes."

Magilou conjured a guardian paper, letting it twirl on her finger.
"You feel it too, don't you? Knowing what Claudin did for Artorius, he will do the same for you…."

Velvet's heart skipped a beat, her eyes trailing off, frowning at the thought. Eleanor caught up. "Wait! You don't mean!"

Magilou smiled bitterly and wandered off towards her cabin, seemingly lost in her thoughts. "Like father, like son…." Magilou stopped, turning her body halfway towards Velvet and Eleanor, glancing at them from the corner of her eye with a grin. "Might as well say anything you wanted to say to him, so there will be no regrets."

Velvet glanced at the apple in her hand. "Eleanor, I have a single favour to ask of you."

"What is it?"

Velvet raised her head, clinging to Eleanor's stare. There was something about her eyes. They looked like fragments of warmth and fire, glimmers of burning metal to face what was to come. A determination to confront whoever took Laphi was going to have her to reckon. But she wasn't going to let Innominat take away anyone else from her.

"If anything happens to me, I'm counting on you. Take care of Laphicet and make sure Avernus and Lailah can make it through."

After a brief pause, Eleanor nodded in confidence. "I understand. You have my word. After all, my oath is to obey your orders until my dying breath."

Velvet turned towards the sea and chuckled. "I almost forgot that. Good thing that I kicked your butt after all."


The next morning, Velvet spent the time sitting on the cold floor near Avernus' bed. She opened her eyes and raised her head to check on him. Avernus was still asleep. In the wash of the new day's light, his face took on the appearance of something nostalgic, a feeling so beautiful that had been animated from the depth of Velvet's old self. Velvet checked his temperature. "Still warm." She refreshed the wet cloth, putting it back on his forehead. Morgrim and Lailah told her that was nothing to worry about as it was a standard procedure, but it was also hard to be away from him. Velvet was surprised at how attached she got.

She was not good at attached.

Velvet went to pick up her cloak but noticed Avernus' long white coat resting beside hers.

Her hands went for his jacket instead and put it on.

Velvet inclined her nose a little nearer to the collar, breathing in his scent. It

It had an intense burst of pineapple, and its juicy sharpness was accompanied by bergamot orange and fish apple, which gave even more tartness to the composition. The outlandish exotic aroma put Asgard's family cologne to shame.

Wearing his comfy jacket was like a permanent hug from Avernus. If the colours were red and black, Velvet would've taken it for sure.

"When Avernus wakes up, he is going to be hungry…."

Velvet changed back into her clothes and paced to the kitchen. She recalled Celica. She was a miracle for everyone. Celica saw a radiance in food and the potential to help and heal everyone she loved. It was her magic.

"Food always does that." Celica once told her, "It feeds the soul, brings smiles and bonds, makes everything so much better."

Velvet put on the apron and began to prepare Celcia's special quiche. That's one of the few things she could do for him, for Laphicet, and everyone.

Velvet was all about action and not words.

The first time she baked it, Laphicet tasted it and gave her the green light. Flaky, soft, and delicious. Velvet hoped that it would turn out the same again.

As Velvet was preparing the lunch with the help of Eleanor and Magilou, Rokurou burst into the kitchen, holding a book in his hand. "Look what I found: A fashion book from the far continent. It has images of clothing my ancestors wore called "kimono."

Eleanor walked to his side, learning to read the pages. "Where did you get that?"

"Bienfu found it in Avernus' bookshelf." Rokurou turned the book for everyone could see it. The three girls zoomed on all perfectly illustrated women models in colourful clothes.

"It all looks strange to me." Velvet said, eyes lingering on robe-like outfits. "They actually look the same as your clothes."

"The colours and patterns are pretty, though," Eleanor added.

Magilou's eyes widened in excitement, pointing to a girl model wearing a yellow outfit and having the tails and ears of a fox. "This would look fetching on me. I like the fluffy tails and ears."

Rokurou raised a brow in surprise. "That's modelled after a monster called Yoko."

The cheer faded from Magilou's face. Fear started to rise in her eyes. "A monster?!"

Then they heard someone else's voice coming from the kitchen door.

"Rokurou's right."

Velvet immediately turned to find Avernus standing in the kitchen's door frame, wearing his chest open shirt and white pants. "You're up." She smiled. Their stares clung to each other for a few seconds.

Avernus leaned on the wall. He crossed his arms and managed to smile back for Velvet faintly. "At your service, mistress." his eyes looked weary, but they still had their natural shine. Avernus turned to Magilou. "Yokos are fox monsters that feed on the spirit energies of humans. They usually disguise themselves as beautiful women to trick men. Some even skin their prey and stuff them with rice, boiling them in soy sauce."

Velvet's beaming face suddenly twisted in disgust. "How horrible!"

Magilou's terrified expression was even worse. "Why would anyone do such a cruel thing?!"

Rokurou squinted at the sentences beneath the figures. "The book says "for business success" and "for when they get hungry."

Avernus chuckled amusingly. "That's right. Although there is no success factor, it's just that daemons are superstitious. For them, it makes for a good dish, though."

Magilou's eyelids stuttered. "All for just a little snack? Bech! That's scarier than Velvet."

"Yoko belongs to the race of Yokai, one of the feared far continent daemon clans. There are also benevolent fox malaks called Kitsune."

"Have you seen one?" Eleanor asked.

"Yeah, once." Avernus rubbed a hand over his tired face. "I worked with a fox malak to track down a Yoko that was stealing men from villages around Hyland."

"What happened?" Eleanor asked.

"We managed to take it down eventually. But getting away from the malak was a daunting task." Avernus sighed, shaking his head in remembering an unpleasant memory. "...It turned out, she was Tamamo no Mae, and desired a lot of spiritual energy in return for her help."

"The fabled Jewel Maiden?! Rokurou asked, chuckling. "That's awesome! I only read about her in Rangetsu's clan storybooks."

"Trust me. There is nothing awesome about a soul-sucking malak."

Velvet raised a brow. "Mind if you indulge me on how she wanted to suck your spirit energy?"

Avernus' cheeks turned slightly pink in shame. "I don't know. But anything about sucking your soul isn't going to end well."

Magilou giggled. "I wonder what Avernus has that made him so wanting among female malaks and daemons."

Velvet groaned, her gaze falling on Magilou like an act of violence.

But Magilou shrugged. "I don't know. Fox malaks, ancient human-hating Empyrean, Kraken queens, and therions seem to have a habit of wanting his company."

Eleanor instantly changed the subject, pointing her finger to another female model. "See that outfit with a red skirt? That's lovely! I want that."

"That skirt is called "hakama" and was worn by priestesses called "Miko," Rokurou said.

"I like it! It sounds like exorcists!"

"Miko priestesses did drive away evil spirits, but they also let the spirits of the dead speak through them," Rokurou explained.

Avernus nodded. "True. They were used to bind malaks and spirits to fight the daemons like exorcists. But they went overboard to consort with a lot of dead spirits and sometimes, working as far as tempting a lot of men to use them against the daemons."

"Tempting men and consorting with dead spirits?! They sound more like monsters than exorcists!" Eleanor argued.

Rokurou suddenly burst into a loud, harsh cackle of laughter. He turned the book towards Velvet. "According to Avernus, this blue outfit would look good on you, Velvet!"

"According to Avernus?" Velvet wondered, taking the book from Roukoru. She noticed Avernus' handwriting under a picture of a blue robe with an open cleavage and showing off bare legs. "A kunoichi outfit." She observed. Velvet realized that executing her acrobatic moves was going to be more comfortable. "The clothing Looks very practical." However, as Velvet read the description, her cheeks turned red, eyes blinking faster. "...Easy to remove. A tug on the sash, twirl it two times around the waist, and you can go bathing..." That phrase had two extra lines underneath it, along with a cute drawing of Avernus' smiling face beside it. Velvet raised her head to see Avernus scratching his head, avoiding her stare.

"Is it that important to you?" Velvet asked.

Avernus whipped his head at her, raising his hands defensively. "No! But yes." He shook his head violently. "I-I mean, look! You can easily fly in this outfit. You know, your freestyle athletic moves will be even more fluid than before."

Magilou giggled, grinning mischievously. She raised her hand, holding a foamy dishwashing sponge, waving it around. "I'm washing dirty dishes. I think your dirty mind can use some scrubbing too."

"It's fine." Velvet said, walking back to the kitchen counter to resume her cooking. "I don't mind. If you think it's for the best, I'll wear it."

Avernus scratched his head, eyes staring down in guilt. "I…" He paused, then a giant hand smacked his shoulder from behind. "Report, sailor!" Eizen ordered, smirking as Avernus turned to him. "I'm fine. My body's reaction to the Empyrean wasn't as bad as I thought. I guess getting used to having Tia worked in my favour. My body had been trained for this."

"Can you order the Empyreans to smash Artorius and Innominat out of existence?" Magilou asked.

"All they can do is hold him off for now. They didn't take their wake-up call as smoothly as I expected." He shook his head. "I can feel their annoyance. Like they didn't even want to wake up. But they have no choice. It's either them or Innominat."

"At least we share the same goal," Eizen said. "Can we rely on extra help from their powers?"

Avernus raised his hand, glancing at them. Suddenly a wave of magical energy swirled through his body from bottom to top in a blink, and his eyes glowed. "Absolutely. I-" Suddenly, the delicious smell of Crowe's special quiche reached his senses, and the words left him.

Lailah, Laphicet, and the rest of the normin malaks flooded into the kitchen. "What's that smell?" Lailah asked.

Laphicet drolled, eyes scanning the kitchen for the source of that scent. Velvet carried a large plate out of the oven. As she turned, she realized that the whole crew had entered the kitchen or peeked from the door frame, staring at her. "Um… lunch is ready."

Everyone followed Velvet like an army of obedient and hungry wolves following their alpha to the main hall.

Velvet sat down at the dining table. Avernus sat down right opposite of her, giving plates to everyone and managing the slices. Then it suddenly hit her: it seemed like the family meal. It brought everyone together. Velvet felt that they shared a bond only belonged to close relatives.

"Everyone dig in!" With Avernus' shout, the team invaded their plates like eating was out of fashion.

Avernus dug into the quiche with ravenous hunger, giving the word devour a new meaning. Eleanor shot him a few scolding glares, but he continued to eat like a caveman, not even paying attention to those around him.

Then Velvet remembered her promise to Niko and stood up, picking up a plate, and she marched towards the exit. Avernus and Laphicet both noticed Velvet leaving the room. Avernus wiped his mouth, and along Laphicet, they both followed her.

Velvet went to the back of the ship, where Orthie and Russ were resting under the shadow of Van Eltia's large sails. The two dogs sniffed and growled, alarmingly jerking their snouts toward Velvet. They bared their canines in aggression, and their demonic eyes began to flare in danger as Velvet approached them.

Laphicet paced to Velvet's side in worry. "Be careful! Orthie and Russ are usually nice, but…."

Velvet looked them directly in the eyes. "I know. I killed their master. I'm not expecting them to be friendly." She crouched, ignoring their growls, and placed the quiche in front of them. The dogs seemed to cease their hostility and stared at the food instead. "There is no poison in this, I promise." Velvet assured. "I want you guys to listen to something I have to say."

Behind her, Avernus patted Laphicet's shoulder, and they both stayed back, letting Velvet do her work.

"This quiche was known as my sister's culinary specialty. Everyone in my family always looked forward to it. You have to knead dough specially and use two types of cheese for it to turn out right."

The dogs pointed their ears at Velvet as if they were listening to her instructions. "The trick to making sure that it's perfect is carefully balancing the eggs and cream and making sure to remove any moisture from the fillings."

Laphicet stepped forward. "Why are you telling them all this?"

"I promised Niko that I would teach her the recipe one day." Velvet replied, and the dogs let out a low growl as their bodies became relaxed and loosened.

Velvet sighed, remembering the energetic face of Niko smiling at her. A pang of guilt hit her right in the face. "You two have to make sure to pass it on to her now, okay? I won't be going to where Niko is."

As if they understood her, Orthie and Russ took bites out of the quiche. Avernus and Laphicet came to her side.

Velvet rose to her feet. "Please, don't say anything. Niko won't be able to rest in peace if people try to comfort me."

Avernus walked to the dogs out of the blue, and the two raised their heads at him. Avernus said no words. Staring seemed to be his only form of communication. The dogs glanced at Velvet one last time before getting back to eating. Avernus turned to her, giving Velvet a genuine smile. "If you think Niko's soul only rests when you're suffering, then you must know that you're wrong."

"I told you, I don't need sympathy." Velvet insisted.

"I'm not giving you sympathy. I'm simply telling you what Niko really wants."

"How do you know what she wants?"

Avernus closed their distance. His voice came out like a calm and pleasant whisper. "I know how much you hold yourself responsible for her death, but ask yourself, do you think Niko, your best friend, wants you to suffer?"

Laphicet joined him, nodding. "Avernus is right. You should stop hurting yourself, Velvet."

Velvet turned her eyes away from the light of their emerald eyes. Even if she didn't want anyone's sympathy, their support was comforting in a peaceful way where Velvet could feel at home. She knew no matter what was happening. Those two would forever be there for her.

"Taliesin, ho!" The pirate scout yelled from the crow's nest, breaking the silence.


The Menagerie disembarked and along the guest normins, and they travelled to Aball.

Velvet pushed the gates. A gust of dry wind flowed through the maze of abandoned homes, deserted streets, and broken boards. Melchior's illusion was gone, and they saw the real face of the village. Hinges groaned with pain at every sway. Taking a breath, Velvet continued to her old home. The road was becoming discernible as the flora began to colonize it. She knew her hometown would soon be forgotten.

As they approached her house, her eyes caught a small normin standing next to the tombstones. Krimson and Heerrow both hurried to his side.

Velvet marched to the normin. "Who are you?"

After he exchanged greetings with his fellow normins, he turned to Velvet. "I'm a normin who travelled the continent with Artorius and Claudin years ago."

Velvet noticed a bouquet on Celcia's tombstone. "Were you the one who put those Princessias out?"

"No, it wasn't me! It was already here when I arrived."

"Artorius…" Avernus mumbled his name.

The normin recognized his voice. "Oh, you must be Claudin's son." He bowed in respect. "It is a pleasure to meet you, sir."

Avernus waved his hand dismissively. "No need to pay formalities, normin. I'm not that kind of man, you think."

His voice came out firm, surprising the malak. "A-As you wish." The normin glanced once more at Celcia's grave. "The person lying in this grave saved the life of a certain someone who had been worn down and broken by his mission." All three normins bowed in respect. "Thank you…"

Sadness slapped Velvet's soul like a frosting wind, freezing her skin.

"The poor man. Artorius was always so serious, so deadly, deadly serious. His conscience was always strangling him." The normin added.

"I know what you mean. The duty, the weight of the world, will crush you at the end if you're not careful with your thoughts." Avernus said, and the normins nodded at him.

"You're right. He deluded himself into believing he needed to erase the emotions of the human race he so dearly loved."

"And a lot of people and malakhim are paying the price with their lives," Avernus said in a voice that made the normins shudder, but they agreed.

"Please, if I may… somehow, someway, set the poor guy free."

Velvet looked back at Avernus to confirm his determination; it was adamant as her own with that gleam in his eyes. "Oh, we intend to. But our version of setting him free might be a bit different from yours."

The normins looked at each other tentatively, but eventually, all three bowed at Velvet. "Well, we're still counting on you… Lord of Calamity."

With the normins leaving the village for Van Eltia, the team dispersed to check the perimeters of the abandoned village. Velvet entered her old house alone. She went straight to Celica's old room and pulled an old box from her drawer. In the chest, there was a simple yet beautiful ring—a memento from old times. Velvet swept a final glance over her old home before going back outside.

Velvet saw Lailah playing with Orthie and Russ. "Do you guys know what a dog owner says to her new puppy? Hmm…? You are so paw-fect. I will love you fur-ever!" Lailah said playfully to the dogs.

Velvet gasped. She instantly recognized the puns. To be precise, bad puns. Just like Celica.

"Are you okay, Velvet-san?"

Lailah pulled Velvet out of her dream. "I'm okay. It's just I remembered something Celica told me about Orthie and Russ: They are so cowardly that when a stranger comes by, they don't bark. They hide up on the woof."

The dogs let out a low whimper, and Lailah covered her mouth, laughing. "That's… not bad!"

Velvet shifted her attention back to Lailah. "Why are they here?"

"They kind of took me to show their home and then followed me here," Lailah said.

"I think you know that I killed their owner."

Lailah looked back at the dogs. "I know. Avernus told me about it. But believe it or not, I don't think they're holding grudges, Velvet-san."

"I-I doubt it." Velvet turned her attention to Celica's gravestone, recalling that her sister comforted her, like Lailah. "My sister loved her puns. Not all of them were good. I always told her to stop with all the bad jokes. I thought most of them were so lame. Now she is gone. I miss them. Every day with Celica was bright, filled with joy. I realize that now."

"I'm not sure how to say this, Velvet-san, but I feel that she'd be happy to hear this."

A surge of calming and nostalgic emotions washed over Velvet. The more she spent time near Lailah, the more she missed Celica. "We don't have time to get all misty-eyed. Let's go."

Lailah and the dogs followed her lead. "Avernus and others went to check on the shrine of tranquillity."

"Then, we'll head there."

As Velvet and Lailah entered the cape, they saw Avernus, and the rest were standing near the ledge of the large hole of the shrine, with Avernus explaining it to the group.

"...There was an ancient sealing arte that had been used to drain and imprison Innominat here. But it can't be cast anymore. Innominat has already passed the threshold of his power to be properly sealed back in here."

Velvet moved beside him. "Good. I want to settle things with him my way." She looked up to the sky, watching heaven-bound birds gliding in the infinite blue as free souls. "If I say something here, will Innominat or the Empyreans hear me?"

"Even though this place is built on an earthpulse point, I don't think it was made to transfer prayers," Avernus said.

"Was there something you wanted to say to him?" Laphicet asked.

"Yes. I wanted to thank Laphi for the comb. And also tell Innominat what I'll be doing next."

"I think everything you want to say has already made it over to Laphi." He smiled. "I got it loud and cleared myself."

"Malakhim turns people's prayers into blessings. Wherever you point your heart, Velvet, your prayers always will give Laphicet strength." Avernus added. "That's what I always do for Laphicet, Lailah." He glanced over to Eizen. "And something to the big bad reaper, although if I send more, it will reinforce his curse."

Eizen let out a low groan, scowling. "Watch out with those prayers. I don't want things to get complicated."

Avernus rolled his eyes, folding his arms. "I know who's not getting their prayers tonight."

With Laphicet and Lailah laughing at their banter, Velvet closed her eyes.

"Please, take care of everyone."


The crew decided to spend the night at Taliesin before their final trip to Zekson. Velvet wandered outside, holding the ring in her hand. She went to a secluded place, high atop the city to think clearly. She leaned forward on the railing.

Her thoughts were a strange ocean that she guarded carefully, hardly ever letting them escape her lips. Velvet thought of them as self-control and not granting anyone a glimpse of where her emotions really lie.

"I had a hunch that I'd find you here."

Velvet smiled to herself. Wherever she went, Avernus would always find her.

Avernus stood a few feet away, hands akimbo on his hips. "I can't say if you're avoiding me, or there is something else going on."

"You know that I'm not known for my flexibility." Velvet said, shifting her stance to face Avernus fully. "And I didn't come here to avoid you. I knew you'd come to find me. You always do."

He stepped closer but kept his distance. "Tell me what's been bothering you." Avernus didn't waste words on flattery. He read her instantly like an open book. "Is it about Innominat?"

"What if that's the case?" Velvet said, turning her head toward the city. "What are you going to do about it?"

"My guts tell me that it's going to be fine," Avernus assured her. "Things are never easy, but everyone's ready for whatever the future holds for them."

Velvet started to learn that sometimes, all you need to move forward is someone to remind you that everything will be okay, even if it was a lie.

"What do you want to do after we've dealt with Artorius?"

Avernus walked to her side and leaned on the railing, gazing over the city. "Same as before, returning to the far continent and helping with the kingdom. I'm done with running away."

A glimmer of hope shone inside Velvet. "That's a better fate than to be on the leash of the Lord of Calamity. You can improve your life that maybe one day, you can share it with someone else ."

Avernus turned to Velvet, feeling challenged. "Oh, what's wrong with my life? You don't want to be part of it?"

Velvet swept a cold glance over him from top to bottom. "Why do I want to be part of your life?" She sneered as if she was testing his confidence. "Why would anyone? You don't have a good track of keeping your promises, you always make everyone angry, and you're always rushing into things. It's crazy. Who wants to keep living in constant fear?"

Avernus chuckled as if he was enjoying Velvet's taunts. "I'd rather describe my life as "engaging." But you're right. This is a crazy life sometimes." He said, checking the scenery below.

Nothing was going to get through the guy. Always unchanging and persistent. "I… I'm feeling a bit lost. It's kind of sad." Velvet expressed.

Avernus gave her a bewildering look.

"I know. I can be severe, scary, and ruthless." Velvet said.

"Alright, miss scary," Avernus said playfully. "What are your plans after this? Living a normal life?"

"I'm not very good at being normal. Bit of a disaster."

"You just need a little practice, Velvet."

"Practice..." She said in doubt, pulling the fortune apple Lailah gave her out of her back pocket, glancing at it. "I'm not like you, Avernus. All I have now is to settle things with Artorius and Innominat. You need a damn good reason to live on after you lose someone you care about." Velvet swallowed her emotions again, burying them in the hope that she could spare him the trouble of following her. "You deserve something better. I want you to go live out your dreams and ..."

Suddenly, while Velvet was at the height of her speech, Avernus' arms encircled her waist and locked around her stomach. His breath grazed her neck, and Velvet let herself melt into him, pausing her talk.

"Hear my proposal…."Avernus whispered, and his hand brushed under Velvet's left palm, sliding underneath her arm as a support, moving slowly to her bandaged hand that was holding the apple, and raised it at the moon. "After it is all over, you come with me, and we both find a new reason for you to live together. How about that?"

His touch and breath sent shivers of ecstasy and excitement through her body. "Reason to live? Together? What do you mean?"

Avernus laughed softly, burying his head in her hair, inhaling her scent and staying silent, letting her figure it out.

Velvet's face turned red as if it was on fire. A possibility crossed her mind, and she let it slide her lips. "...W-What? Do you want marriage?! Children?!" Velvet nearly raised her voice, almost yelling. The thoughts began to flood her mind, pushing against the barriers she had up. "Do you want us to settle in the countryside while you build our home out of wood and I cook the food?!" Velvet said, mocking the whole idea.

"What do you want, Velvet?" Avernus whispered calmly.

"W-What I want? I-" Velvet groaned, frowning as she wrestled in his embrace in objection, but he held her tight. Velvet turned her head to see his arrogant grin. It seems to her that Avernus was enjoying it. "You're a frustrating and greedy man, Avernus! Is being with me not enough for you? Must you always want more?!"

Avernus maintained his silence. Velvet sighed, and she stopped struggling, sensing that her protest was going nowhere. "Why are you saying these things to me? You know who I'm and what I'm right now. You are…"

"I didn't say anything." He chuckled, interrupting her in a gentle and alluring tone. "You're the one who jumped into conclusion."

Then it hit her hard as Velvet realized she unknowingly spilled out her heart.

Velvet would blush from time to time, but what she did was go as red as an over-ripe strawberry and radiated heat like a hot pan. She wanted the earth to open up and swallow her whole. There was no rescue from this embarrassment.

"I'll think about it," Avernus murmured, and Velvet gasped in utter humiliation. "...But tonight and right now, you are here, you are beautiful, and I have you all to myself. I'm just a normal guy spending quality time with his girl."

The deed was done. Velvet let the current of emotions take her away. She loved his gentle touch and his voice when he sparkled with his exclusive flirtations. She wanted to give him her heart and keep him safe. That's the way she wanted it to be.

Velvet leaned back into his embrace, raising her right arm, touching his chin and caressing his cheeks. "No more dumb heroics intentions? No more bright ideas about the future?"

"None."He planted a soft kiss on her cheek, gently and unexpectedly. Velvet gasped in surprise, and mild electricity surged through her body. "What I always admired about you are sparkles in those fiery eyes. No matter what hardships you endure, those never fade."

Velvet giggled quietly in enjoyment, closing her eyes. Those flirty lines he made were meant to bring most of the girls to their knees.

"Feeling better, Velvet?"

"Yes." In the heat of the moment, she turned to him as Avernus loosened his grip, letting her move freely.

"I-I have something for you." Velvet went for her pocket and hid the ring in her coiled hand.

Avernus saw she was slightly trembling. Velvet lowered her head, hiding her eyes behind the strands of her hair to avoid his stare. Velvet scuffled through her hardened emotions and tore through it, nearly exhausting herself to the brink of falling.

Avernus' eyes widened in surprise as she opened her hand. "A ring, Velvet?"

It appeared that Velvet was going to lose her balance, fainting. "Y-Yeah. Before any stupid idea crosses your mind: It was a gift from Celica to Arther. After she died, he hid it in a chest. I wanted you to have it."

Avernus graciously took the ring, checking its beautiful yet simple design. The moonlight reflected from its smooth hoop, and the small red gem on top flashed. "It's wonderful, Velvet. Thank you."

Velvet's voice began to crack. She tried to maintain control, but sobbing began to stutter her tone. "I-I hope it's good enough so that if we part ways, somewhere in the world, when you look at it, y-you remember me…."

Avernus jumped and embraced her again in a quick move, interrupting her. Velvet's ear rested on his chest, hearing his heart pounding. "Hey. You worry too much. Stop saying that." Avernus whispered in her ear, squeezing her gently.

Velvet slowly wrapped her arms around his torso, closing her eyes. Her voice returned to her usual harsh tone. "Make sure you come back. Breaking your word will not be tolerated. Understood?"

Avernus let out a faint chuckle. "As you wish, Lord of Calamity."


After sailing for a day, Van Eltia entered the Zekson port. The Menagerie was ready. Velvet swept a glance over the team; Avernus was carrying his sword physically now that he got the scabbard for Caliburn, his golden hair sailing around, and he was checking the promise ring Velvet gave her on his finger. Lailah and Laphicet were checking their guardian cards with Bienfu flying around them in a circle.

Rokurou had both Stormhowl and Stormquel beside one another. Both strapped to his back. Eizen was giving Benwick instructions and orders if they'd not been able to see him after killing Innominat. Kamoana, along with Eleanor, Medissa, and Dyle, joined them on the deck.

"Are you ready?" Velvet asked Eleanor.

"Ready and able."

Kamoana wandered to Eleanor's side. "Why can't I come with you?"

"It's too dangerous, sweetie."

Kamoana pouted, her face twisting in stubbornness. Avernus wandered to her side. "Leave the fight to us, Kamonana, but we need you here to stand guard. And we need a welcoming party when we get back."

Kamoana threw a fist in the air, cheering. "Yeah! I know you'll find a way to win, and when you do, I'll be waiting for you all!"

Velvet turned to Benwick as his briefing with Eizen ended. "Thanks for everything."

Benwick cocked his head proudly. "I only did what I felt like doing! Who needs thanks for that?"

Van Eltia docked with the pier, and Eizen raised his hand. "Let's go. We have got a fight to finish with the Shepherd."

As the team entered the port, they saw long queues of refugees entering the walls with their carriages and horses resting in the shadows. The tension was high. People were up in each other's faces. A few exorcists were trying to control the mass number of protestors.

"Is it because of Innominat's power being weakened?" Rokurou asked.

"Without the help of malaks, Abbey's exorcists are having a hard time quelling daemons," Eizen observed. They continued towards the road.

As they passed the gate, Avernus took a deep breath, channelling into the earthpulse. "Chaos is invading the world again. Everything will be like three years ago; daemons are wandering around, malevolence will spread like wildfire..."

Eleanor suddenly sobbed, turning to Avernus. "H-How are you holding up?"

Avernus gave her a surprised look. "Why asking me, Eleanor?" He squinted at Eleanor. "Wait… Are you crying?"

"Because I know it is hard to go against all that Claudin built and all those shepherds held on to in thousands of years…." Her eyes became glossy from tears building up. "It feels like some... curse."

"What brought me here, Eleanor, was my own free will, not some curse," Avernus assured, smiling. "Each time, my ancestors embraced a glimmer of hope for the distant future. Even Claudin's sacrifice was a hope that he sent it out as big of prayer as he could offer. Will that be turned into a curse? Or can I turn it into a possibility? That's up to…."

"Us." Velvet said. "We chose the path we believed in, Avernus included." She glanced at Avernus, and he nodded in acknowledgment.

"You are strong." Eleanor gripped her spear, eyes brimming with confidence as her tears dried up. "Like you, I'm going to own up my responsibility, face my fears, keep moving forward, and I will do only what I can."

Velvet raised a brow at her. "You're a piece of work, but I don't mind having you around. I hope that you know what you're doing."

"But you'll end up overdoing it. If you push yourself to the limit and it's still not enough, there is no shame in relying on others." Rokurou advised.

Eleanor's eyes beamed. "Thank you so much, Rokorou!"

"Do you realize you just thanked a daemon, right?"

"I'm aware of…."

Suddenly Avernus raised his arm, prompting them to stop. Then a mass of people flooded the road in front of them, and a horde of Lycans crashed through the bushes, howling and pursuing them with murderous intent.

Avernus whipped out Siegfried and aimed at the pack leader as it galloped behind the refugees. The gun hammered, and with a burst of a red beam, Avernus landed a clean headshot as the arte pierced the Lycan's skull. The frenzied daemons flipped on his back, red magic cut deep fissures through its skin, and the body began to inflate until it exploded.

Velvet spotted the horde behind it and pounced a long jump. The ring began to flare up. Her new clothes were engulfed in flames, and her hair was shining in a red hue. "My feelings burn deep! Like an insatiable fire!" The bandages on her arm flamed and transformed into a hot red claw, steam and heat radiating from it.

"Emotions split!" Velvet slashed wide, and her claw raked a few daemons in front. Their torn bodies rolled over the grass, and the rest were alarmed to the Lord of Calamity's presence. It was too late as Velvet smashed the ground, sending an exploding shockwave, bashing the remaining Lycans and hurling them around. A ball of fire began to burst between her claws. Velvet wheeled her burning arm backward and threw the fiery orb in the middle of the daemon. "Rouser of the Raging Hellfire!" The ball struck the ground like a meteor and obliterated the monsters. They howled their last cries as their flesh and skin disintegrated in the enormous blast.

Velvet heaved a breath after she performed her arte. The flames that engulfed her arms went away, retreating to her body. She turned to see the villagers had managed to reach the safety of the walls.

"The daemons are running rampant." Avernus cocked Siegfried as it was loaded with a new bullet. "I sense a convergence of daemons near the Empyrean's throne too."

Velvet broadened her detected sense of malevolence. "Avernus is right. I feel their presence."

"Just what we need. More surprises." Magilou grumbled.

"To the Empyrean throne, then. Let's end it once and for all." Velvet paced and took the lead, with Avernus running close to her and the rest following them closely.

Further up the long road, they came upon the vast plain of Empyrean's temple. Roars and bellows of fiends resonated around the grassland. They spotted mobs of monsters and hordes of drakes and daemons, clashing against titanic malaks and angelic sub lords of Innominat.

Rokurou squinted his eyes at the battlefield. "What the hell…."

Magilou raised a hand to shield her eyes from the sun, observing the fight. "Everything's a mess. It's a warzone out there! How can we even get to the temple?!"

Velvet released her wrist blade, and it charged up with fire magic. "We'll cut a path straight through them!"

Suddenly, they heard the sounds of an army striding from behind. Velvet turned alarmingly to see a group of people rushing to their side.

"Prince Percival?" She recognized their leader, riding his white horse, and then an ear-piercing screech echoed from above, and a vast shadow darkened the area.

"Griffin!" Laphicet shouted, pointing at the giant bird circling above.

Eizen hooked his thumbs into his pocket. "Looks like we got some support."

As they approached, Velvet noticed Medissa, along with Orthie and Russ, a few exorcists, and bloodwing fighters were accompanying the prince.

Velvet brandished her blade at the exorcists, but the prince immediately raised his arm. "They're not a threat." He claimed, disembarking from his horse. "They came to help of their own accord."

Velvet shot a glare over the exorcist before sheathing her blade.

Laphicet and Eleanor ran to Medissa's side. "Why are you here? Where is Kamoana?"

"I left her in the care of Tabatha. Couldn't just sit there and let you guys do all the work."

Velvet turned to the dogs in wonder. "What brought them here?"

"Believe it or not, they followed me here. There was no way that I could shake them off."

Prince walked to Avernus' side as Griffin landed behind him. "Let us join you. Artorius isn't just a threat to our freedom. It's our family issue too." He offered a handshake, and Avernus complied, gripping it firmly.

"Happy to have you, cousin."

Percival chuckled in return. "It feels good to be called that." He shifted to Velvet. "I know what you're thinking, Lord of Calamity. But we're all here because we want to." The Griffin moved his head beside the prince and shrieked in confirmation.

"I can't guarantee your safety." Velvet informed.

"Who cares about safeties?!"

Zaveid abruptly jumped to the front, slapping Avernus' back in an instant. Laphicet and Lailah's eyes beamed. "Zaveid! What are you doing here?"

"Can't leave all the fun to you guys." Zaveid raised his head at the Innominat's celestial body floating high above in the sky. "I have a debt to repay to that monster." He smiled more and smacked Avernus a few more times on the back. "And someone has to keep an eye on this dumbass."

For once, Velvet agreed with Zaveid. "You can say that again."

Avernus frowned, and the corner of his mouth twisted in annoyance. "I don't need help."

Zaveid gestured towards the back of the group, and three malaks came to their side, still wearing their Abbey's outfit but without the covering mask and headgear. They spoke in a gentle and soothing tone of voice.

"You're the ones who liberated us from Innominat's domain, right? We're here to offer our help."

"You have no obligation to help us. What I did was acting in my own interests." Velvet said, and she turned to the battlefield. "I won't hesitate to devour those malaks… Do you still want to help us kill your own kind?"

One of the malaks stepped forward. "Please, hold up! Most of us are under the influence of Innominat's power and have been robbed of our free will. Before Innominat's interference, we were a peaceful people."

Velvet crossed her arms, shooting a harsh glare over the malaks. "That doesn't matter to me."

"We get what you're saying. But if we go easy on anybody, then we'll be the ones who get killed." Eizen said, "If you truly want to protect your friends, you'll have to stop us by force."

Zaveid raised a clenched fist in anger. "Way to go, Eizen. They're offering their help, and you guys…."

Avernus patted Zaveid's shoulder and walked to the malaks. All three of them bowed as they sensed his connection to the four Empyreans. "Pact holder…"

"You don't need to do that. I'm following my own interests too." He turned to Lailah. "But I think she's the one you're looking for."

The malaks glanced over to Lailah, and it seemed they sensed her new domain. "Your domain… seems familiar."

"She is the lady of the lake." Avernus introduced. The three malaks immediately bowed to her.

Avernus moved between them and Lailah, clawing his hand and conjuring the Amenoch's bow out of thin air. "She has a mission for you."

The malaks immediately recognized the weapon. "It's one of the divine artifacts that Abbey pursued to get their hands on for the armatization process." He raised his head in surprise. "But why are you giving them to us?"

Velvet poked his side with her palm. "Don't give away your weapons, dummy. You need them in the fight!"

"It's okay. I don't need them anymore. The Empyreans will provide me with their powers regardless if I have them."

Velvet peered his way in doubt. "Can you trust those malaks just by looking at them?"

"Yes. If they desire to fight beside us and against those odds for a better tomorrow, I'd say they've earned it. Besides, these artifacts belong to them, not me. I'm simply giving them back." Avernus handed the bow to the water malak. He did the same for Eumacia's bracelet and Hyuna's necklace, too, giving each one to the earth and the wind malak.

"I know about the armatization process. But the fusion that Abbey gave a physical form is cruel and dangerous. Their formula is twisting the mana in a faulty way that only the user can benefit." Avernus clawed his hand, and three silvery threads began to fly towards the malaks and connected to their minds. "With this formula, humans and malak can armatize with mutual awareness and consent. It provides the edge malak needs to battle any great force which seeks to harm the world."

"Will you take up the mantle of the Shepherd when it's all over?" one of the malaks asked.

Avernus shook his head. "No, I'm not the one you're looking for, and beyond providing means and knowledge for you, I don't know what's best for everyone. But even so, as just one human being, I want to believe in what lies ahead. In people and the possibility that humanity possesses."

Avernus stared into the horizon towards the temple, pointing towards a blue column rising to the sky. "That's an ancient malakhim teleporter. We need to clear a path towards it."

The air was tense with anticipation. All they've worked for would be decided at that moment. Everyone instantly sobered, getting ready for the final assault. Velvet gave them a firm nod.

Magilou whipped a series of her papers, and they danced around her before shuffling back into her hand. "Hey, Laphicet. Avernus gave a pretty good speech. What do you think we're supposed to do?"

Laphicet gave her a confident glance. "You defend everything you care about! You make a decision and do what you think is right."

"Pretty good, kid." Magilou enlarged one of her papers and jumped on it.

Griffin lowered his body, and Percival hopped on his back.

Velvet slid beside Avernus. Her shoulder grazed his. "Don't get killed."

Avernus' eyes glimmered for a second. "You too."

The Lord of Calamity jumped down the hillside, and with a loud warcry worthy of thousand battles, the small army stormed the plain.

Their cries thundered the battlefield. The daemons and Innominat's malaks shifted their attention to see them rushing like a wild storm. Avernus dashed at the baffled daemons and pulled Caliburn as he reached the first line of werewolves. He slashed them in such an ungodly speed that their eyes missed the act, resting Caliburn back into its scabbard and passing them. Their torso parted, and dark blood spewed from the deep cuts, and their bodies turned into ash.

A drake swooped down on him from above. Quick as it was, Avernus slid underneath it in a flash, and his body transformed instantly, with a bow conjuring in his hand. "Azure Assault!" Avernus released a swarm of arrows right into its belly in point-blank. The dragon howled in pain as the shots pierced its body and exited through its back. The wyrm crashed into the ground and blasted into a giant ball of fire, sending tremors and shock across the warzone.

As the daemon horde was in disarray, Velvet targeted an unfazed Minotaur that was blocking the way. The hulking beast stomped at Velvet and swung its gigantic axe at Velvet, but her graceful body easily dodged the massive attack and sliced its leg with a sharp swing from her wrist blade, severing the foot. The Minotaur bellowed and roared in pain as its gargantuan body crashed into the ground. Velvet picked up the axe and raised it above her head. The wounded Minotaur looked in her eyes only to watch Velvet bring down the axe in a great force. The weapon dug into the monster's skull, splitting it in half. Velvet left the axe stuck in the head of the dead Minotaur and turned to see Griffin dived to the ground and snatched a Warg off the ground. The daemon struggled futility under Griffin's claws before being released from a higher altitude and falling to its doom.

Among the fire and magic exploding around, Orthie and Russ reached Velvet's side and snarled from underneath her, their body tensing as they bared their teeth at something behind.

An enormous three-headed Cerberus growled otherworldly, steam and fire billowing from its snouts.

"Stay back. I have this." Velvet's arms heat up from flames. Cerberus gaited like a rabid dog at them, earth-shaking beneath their feet. Velvet lunged at the monster. One of the heads sent a stream of fire at her. Velvet raised her clawed hand to guard and absorbed all the heat. "Take this!"

Velvet slashed a giant claw into Cerberus. Her fangs borrowed into its skin and tore a nasty gash. But Cerberus threw a paw, and it hit Velvet on her back. She rolled on the ground and quickly sprung on her feet. Cerberus opened its jaws for another attack.

Suddenly, a light emanated behind Cerberus, and with a wild snarl, Orthus crashed down on top of Cerberus and dug its claws deep into its back. The monster violently shook his back, but Orthus held on, double-biting one of the heads and blood spewing from the picture wounds, streaking down the necks.

Velvet unsheathed her wrist blade and sprinted at Cerberus. Orthus's eyes caught Velvet charging and pulled the daemon's middle head, giving her a clear shot on Cerberus' belly. Her gauntlet blade pierced through the neck, thrusting her open demonic hand into the abdomen and releasing the void vortex into Cerberus' body.

"Annihilating Crash!"

The giant three-headed dog whimpered before falling to the ground, motionless.

"Good job, you guys."

Orthus jumped beside Velvet and howled at her praise.

"Looks like someone isn't mad anymore." Velvet turned to see Avernus landing beside them, his body swirling with magic. "Niko is looking out for you, Velvet."

The lord of calamity glanced at Orthus. "Thank you, Niko."

"We're nearly there. Let's go!" Avernus disappeared in a bolt of magic and warped to a group of hollowed malaks defending the first set of staircases to the temple. Velvet watched defending mobs falling one by one as Avernus appeared and disappeared around the zone, seemingly picking them off one by one without giving them a chance to react. More angelic minions flooded to his position. Avernus jumped high in the sky, and The malaks surrounded and swarmed him from all sides like flocks of birds.

Velvet clenched her fists in concern, quickly scanned the area, and called for Magilou to ask her for a ride.

Then a burst of magical energy exploded where Avernus was, and the remains of the malaks rained down in burning debris. Velvet saw Avernus streaking towards a large angelic malak like a meteor. He pulled his arm, and a visage of a dragon appeared instead of a lion. "Infernal Howl!"

Avernus smashed the malak, and its body exploded into tiny pieces of torched chunks.

Magilou flew on one of her guardian papers to Velvet's side. "See, Velvet? You worry too much. He's going to be fine."

Velvet brushed a hand over her face. "He's too distracting-"

Abruptly, the body of a gorilla malak whispered above their heads and hit the ground with a loud thump, rolling over. As it struggled to rise, Rokurou lunged at and drew his Stormquell. "All life is ephemeral when kissed by my blade!"

Rokurou's movements became lightning, slashing the malak back and forth. "Form 9! Final Judgment!"

He landed right in front of Velvet and Magilou, sheathing his blade with his back turned to the malak. Rokurou grinned as his opponent tore apart in one final slash.

"11!" Rokurou yelled in victory.

"12!" Eizen responded from afar as he shattered one of the malaks that Medissa had turned into the stone.

"That wasn't yours!"

Eizen quickly dashed and smacked an angelic malak from the air. "13! You're behind! Stop whining and fight!"

"Oh, C'mon!" Rokurou shook his head and ran to the top of the stairs.

Velvet and the rest sprinted, following Rokurou and Eizen.

Avernus and Prince were already fighting an army of malak. Avernus warped to one of the attacking angelic minions. His body appeared, holding Siegfried under the malak's chin and fired into its head. The malak bellowed in agony, clutching at its disfigured face before the body disintegrated into nothingness. The rest of the malak aimed their spears and threw them at Avernus. His body blinked left and right, dodging the rain of spears with his inhuman speed. He gripped the cover of Caliburn and pulled it away. The sword was levitated in the air as if there was an invisible hand holding it. "Soaring Shadow!"

Avernus dashed one last time against the remaining malaks with Caliburn floating around him. The hollowed minions had no chance; each one struggled to fight the Shadow of Calamity as if they were battling two different opponents. Avernus bolted around the area, firing Siegfried with maximum accuracy, landing shots directly into their foreheads, and Caliburn slashing from all sides.

By the time Velvet and the team reached the teleporter, the last malak fell to his blade. Avernus raised the sheath in the air for Caliburn to fly into it.

Zaveid rolled over his eyes. "Show off."

Velvet glanced at the wind malak from the corner of her eye, looking proud of her Shadow. "Jealous much?"

Suddenly her eyes caught a werewolf streaking behind Zaveid. "Watch out!"

Before Zaveid could turn and use his pendulums, the Lycan pounced high, claws bursting out of its hands. "Damn-!"

Then a monstrous roar echoed, and a dragon snatched the Lycan out of the air in a blink of an eye. Zaveid eyes widened as he recognized the green and white flying serpent. "Theodora!"

Having saved Zaveid's life, the dragon slithered away, patrolling the skies above the Empyrean Throne.

Laphicet gestured at a new army of malaks flooding the landscape. "Look! More are coming our way!"

"We'll hold here and defend the teleporter." The prince said as Medissa, Zaveid, and the rest formed a defensive formation around the perimeter.

"Zaveid," Avernus called and tossed Siegfried at him. "You need it more than I do."

Zaveid caught the gun and nodded. "Alright, but you have to come back. I've found a new tavern that I want to try." He placed the gun on his shoulder. "Hate to be alone."

"Don't you dare die!" Medissa said. "Think about Kamoana. If she loses more…."

"They're right, cousin." Prince patted Griffin's head. "You're confident, then go and prove it. But make sure to come back."

"Then, we won't say goodbye," Avernus said. "Thank you for your help, everyone."

The Menagerie exchanged one last glance with each other.

Magilou gestured dramatically at the teleporter, preparing to rehearse something poetic as they began to enter it."Uncertainty is what spurs us onward. Forward we move, if only by one step at a time, toward somewhere different than here, through sadness and anger and joy alike!" Magilou held her breath as she was the last one to enter the teleporter.

"Life is all about that journey."