Actions

Work Header

How Little We Know

Summary:

Rey Jakkuson is one of the newest staff members at Imperial Academy, an elite private school. She is taking the long deserted Mechanics and Engineering post. Her dream job is someone else's nightmare. Kylo Ren, across the hall, is the Advanced Chemistry teacher and he is not happy about Rey's intrusion. Rey, who has always been a Beta, is immediately subjected to Kylo's extra strong Alpha tendacies and one fated day, he brings out something in her she never expected. Will the two of them survive the chemical explosion that is their fate? Or will they burn each other out and leave more broken then they were before?

Notes:

So for those that were reading my Adam Driver X Reader fic, fear not! Updates will still be posted regularly for that one. I have some amazing plans for that one so it WILL be finished. This is just a new addition to the family because those plot bunnies just wouldn't leave me alone about it.

This is my first time writing an A/B/O, a trope that I have always been a fan of reading. I love how the Omegaverse is different for each fic, as each writer adapts it to their own story. I have done the same with mine, although the basics are still the same, I think. Anyone familiar with the trope will have no trouble following. Anyone unfamiliar should be able to follow pretty easily as well.

This work is called "How Little We Know" the inspiration being the old Sinatra classic by the same name. I'll post the lyrics below.

How little we know!
How much to discover
What chemical forces flow from lover to lover!
How little we understand what touches off that tingle,
That sudden explosion when two tingles intermingle.
Who cares to define what chemistry this is?
Who cares, with your lips on mine, how ignorant bliss is?
So long as you kiss me, and the world around us shatters,
How little it matters, how little we know.
How little we understand what touches off that tingle,
That sudden explosion when two tingles intermingle.
Who cares to define what chemistry this is?
Who cares, with your lips on mine, how ignorant bliss is?
So long as you kiss me, and the world around us shatters,
How little it matters, how little we know.
How little we know.
How little we know.

I appreciate everyone who stops by to give it a read! Plan is for updates every weekend. :) See you at the end!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

 

 


 

“Just fill these out and we are all set! Welcome to Imperial Academy and glad to have you onboard, Ms. Jakkuson.”

Rey smiled, shaking the hand of Mr. Lucas, the school Headmaster as she finished her onboarding interview. He handed her a rather large stack of papers to fill out, and she happily took them, as well as a pen. She went back to the empty conference room and started to fill them out, unable to keep the smile from curling up in the corners of her mouth.

She had finally made it.

It wasn’t nearly close to where she had thought she was going to end up, but she couldn’t be happier to be here.

Even though almost anywhere is better than Plutt’s junkyard.

She shudders at the memory before continuing to fly through the paperwork. She added her name and contact info, putting Finn as her emergency contact without hesitation. He was her friend of many years, old roommate and now colleague, as he was also starting to teach here at Imperial Academy as the football coach. At least he had a few years of experience under his belt; he was transferring from First Order Academy for a handsome fee in order to overhaul the Imperial’s own football team, The Stormtroopers.

He was excited and Rey was excited for him; Finn deserved it and was a hard worker. Most male Betas have to be in order to compete in a world full of Alphas.

She reached the section on the form where she was to mark her own designation and she carefully wrote Beta in for her second gender. It was the law that employers couldn’t ask for someone’s designation unless they were already hired and for that she was thankful. There were many laws now in place to help enforce equality amongst the Alphas, Betas, and the rare occasional Omega.

Rey could count on her two fingers the number of Omegas she had met in her life. There was one girl who was a junker rat with her at Plutt’s, and once she had presented as an Omega, Plutt had immediately sold her off on the black market for a hefty bit of cash. There was another, older woman who was an Omega that Rey had encountered in the markets, and she wore a collar to cover all of her glands, a ritual of fashion reminiscent of the old days. Legally, collars couldn’t be forced anymore, but she had seemed to wear it proudly and strode in arm with her Alpha and their impossibly sizable brood.

Rey felt a bit lucky to fit into the Beta group. Being an Omega seemed scary; losing all control to be a slave to the sexual desires of the body, aching and desperate for an Alpha’s knot. At least that’s what she was told about Omegas. After waiting anxiously through her puberty, which is usually when presentation occurs, nothing happened except for a normal period. Plutt seemed disappointed, but Rey was relieved. Betas were common, considered normal and average and that’s all Rey ever wanted to be.

Except when it came to her work, of course. She had flown through her schooling, taking classes at the local collage at night, little by little until she had whittled out a degree.

Then she was free.

Free to become the Imperial Academy’s newest Mechanics and Engineering teacher.

She finished up the rest of the paperwork, unable to keep the grin from her face as she straightened her stack, ready to return them.

She knocked lightly on Mr. Lucas’ door. He was currently speaking with someone and Rey could see their incredibly large frame pacing within the smaller confines of the office. Whoever they were, they seemed agitated. She could hear the low tones of Mr. Lucas, trying to subdue him and Rey awkwardly fidgeted with her papers while she waited. The man, at least she was assuming he was male judging by his large shadowed stature, threw his hands up angrily.  There was a sudden exclamation and the door burst open as the large figure exited in a hurry, completely blind to where Rey was standing. He crashed into her, knocking all her completed forms from her arms and causing them to scatter all over the floor. 

“Watch it!” He hisses, barely casting a glance in her direction before he storms down the hallway, leaving a few papers to flutter behind him at his ankles. It was only the fact that the ink was hardly dry on her hiring contract that Rey chose not to rip into him. Otherwise she would have followed after him, prodded him in his ridiculously broad chest, and demanded an apology. Or at least a good show of faith, with some groveling that ended up with him on his knees picking up her forms.

And not her.

She gathered the last paper that had travelled down the hall and made her way back inside the Headmaster’s office. 

“Who was that?” She asks, jamming her thumb in the direction of the asshole. Mr. Lucas looks apologetic.

“That would be your colleague, Kylo Ren. He teaches Advanced Chemistry to the senior class.” Mr. Lucas takes Rey’s forms with a tight smile. “Just try to stay out of his way. That man will never change. Believe me, I’ve tried. He’s stuck in his ways and rarely associates with the rest of the faculty. Don’t take him personally.”

“If he’s so disagreeable, couldn’t you find someone else to teach Advanced Chemistry?” Rey’s boldness surprised even herself. 

“I wish it were that simple.” Mr. Lucas frowns while sifting through Rey’s forms. “He’s tenured and comes from a powerful family. The board in charge of the Academy would have my position replaced in minutes before even considering removing Mr. Ren.”

Rey looked off in the direction where he had stormed off.  “So he’s just allowed to be a bloody jerk to everyone and get away with it?” Her nattural British accent became more obvious when she swore. 

Mr. Lucas gives her a tight smile. “Just stay out of his way and you’ll do fine.”

He had to be an Alpha. Rey was tempted to ask, but discussing the second genders of others wasn’t even in the realm of polite conversation.

She decided against making waves against her colleagues and superior on her technical first day and retreated to her headspace, picturing water that was smooth as glass, dark as ink, stilling it with her mind until not a ripple budged over the surface. It was a meditative calm that she had developed when things at Plutt’s seemed unbearable and it still did its job, filling her with quiet resolution. She smiled at Mr. Lucas.

“I’ll do my best to avoid Mr. Ren. Thank you, sir.”

Mr. Lucas smiled back, seemingly relieved, and handed her a set of keys and her faculty badge.

“You can go check out your room if you like. Make a list of supplies needed and leave it with the secretary, Ms. Holdo. There’s a staff meeting tomorrow morning at 7 AM in the faculty lounge. I’d like to officially introduce you and Mr. To-Tojuanatesevn to everybody then, so make sure you’re on time.”

Rey nods, running her fingers over the edges of her badge. Her picture was taken yesterday and it was now printed next to her name and Imperial Academy’s logo. She had a genuine smile on her face, the corners of her eyes crinkling in the way that they do when she is truly happy about something.

Which she was. For the first time, she belonged somewhere.

She slipped the keys and badge into her handbag and shook Mr. Lucas’s hand again.

“See you tomorrow, sir.” She said, opening his door.

“One last thing, Ms. Jakkuson.” Mr. Lucas called out. She glanced back at him, still perched halfway out the door. He shuffled some papers nervously. “Regarding Mr. Ren... I know we discussed staying out of his way. Just to give you some warning, Chemistry and the Mechanics and Engineering share a sub-hall. So you can expect the occasional interactions… just do your best to avoid him.”

Rey felt a sinking feeling in her stomach, the feeling that happens when something that sounded too good to be true suddenly exposes its caveats.

“Mr. Lucas.” Rey juts out her chin. “What happened to the last Mechanics instructor?”

The Headmaster goes quiet and a little flush fills his neck and cheeks. “Ah, well. Interesting story, but not mine to tell. Mr. Ren had him removed. The Mechanics position has been empty for quite some time, to be honest. Just stay out of Mr. Ren’s way. If he troubles you, come to me amd I'll do my best to sort things out. See you tomorrow.” Mr. Lucas officially dismisses her and Rey lets the door close behind her as she makes her way out of the administration offices.

The sinking feeling stayed with her as she followed the school map, finding her way to her classroom. The Academy grounds were well spread out. The offices shared the main building with the English and Language classes, with a large, well manicured central courtyard in the very center. There was a wide hallway, called the Grand Hall, which led down to the next largest building that housed the Cafeteria and Staff Lounge. The Sub-Halls connected from there, sciences on one side, arts on the other, and maths right down the middle. There were outlier buildings that were connected by perfectly groomed pathways. The Gymnasium and the Performance Hall were also substantially sized buildings that flanked either side.

She was Sub-Hall D, Classroom 2.

The Sub-Hall walls were dominated by Chemistry work with safety ordinances plastered on both sides of the wall. Mr. Ren’s class was empty, the little window on his door dark and quiet. Her door was posted at the far end of the hall, the darkened corner where the overhead light had gone out. She’d have to submit a repair request for that immediately. 

Her key slides perfectly into the lock and she lets herself in, flicking on the lights to her new dark classroom. Things came to life slowly, as if they had been resting and waiting for too long.

Much too long.

The classroom was quite large, divided into two halves. There were tables and desks all askew on one side with rows of covered machines on the other. There were a few large storage rooms off in the back with a small amount of lab space, filled with shelving and drawers on the far right. All in all, it was a good workspace. Rey notes the thick layers of dust on the class tables, the streaks of grime on the white board and the disarray of all the supplies and machinery. Whoever had this class last had left in a hurry and no one had bothered to care for the room since.

“Fuck. I’m going to be here all night.” Rey complains to the air, her voice echoing amongst all the machines. “Might as well get started.”

She finds a radio by the teacher’s desk, already tuned to a classic rock station and she turns it up. She throws her hair back into her favorite three bun combo. Her hair was too thick for one bun and even a double bun fell apart by the end of the day. But three buns always kept her hair tightly away from her face, which was a life saver when working with machines.

She took off her formal blazer and button up shirt, leaving her in a standard tank, and folded them neatly on top of her bag. There were cleaning supplies that had their own layers of dirt on them and she took a minute to wipe down the spray bottles with some musty paper towels.

New cleaning supplies, first on the list.

From there she started with the desks, wiping the surfaces clean of their layers of neglect. She hit the teacher’s desk and cleaned out the drawers. There was an old, empty tool belt in the bottom drawer, which she quickly arranged to carry her meager cleaning supplies. The top drawer was empty, save for a keychain with a numerous about of keys on it and a pair of golden dice. She assumed the keys were to the machinery and pocketed it. As she cleaned, she adjusted things, moving the desks into a semi-circle shape towards the front. She was just about finished returning the whiteboards to their former glory when her phone rang.

“Finn!”  Rey answered excitedly. “Did you finish your paperwork?”

“Yep! You’re talking to the new coach of the Imperial Academy Stormtroopers! How about you, babes? Finished yours?”

“Yes, hours ago. Mr. Lucas gave me the keys to my classroom and it’s…” Rey faded off.

“What’s wrong, peanut?”

“It’s decrepit. It’s like no one has been here in five years, just left the place to rot.”

“Uh oh.”  Finn sounded worried. “That doesn’t sound like Imperial Academy standard.”

“Right?! I’ve been cleaning for hours and I haven’t even had a chance to get my hands on the machines.”  Rey let herself whine a little. If there was one person she could complain to, it was Finn.

“Need a hand?”

“Would you?” Rey  let out a sign in relief.

“Sure thing. Let me finish my inventory on the team equipment and I’ll be over. Where are you?”

“Hall D, Classroom 2.”

“I’ll find you.”

“Thanks, Finn. And bring any cleaning supplies you can find!”  She breathed, grateful for the help.

“Anything for you, babes.” Finn disconnected and Rey smiled.

She would be lost without Finn. He had met her as soon after she moved countries, trying to get as far away from Plutt as possible. He had run into her, quite literally knocking her over as he backed up in his Honda, while she was wandering the streets of New York, looking for a place to stay. Out of guilt he had given her a hot meal and his couch to stay on, but one night turned to a week, which turned into a month; they’ve been inseparable ever since. It was briefly awkward when she slowly realized she was developing feelings, a natural result of having an actual companion who cared for her for the first time. But romantic feelings she thought she might have been developing for him vanished the moment he brought his date home one night, a short muscular beta named Roger.  He fell neatly into the spot of being her best friend ever since.

It was because of him taking on the football coach at the Imperial Academy that pushed her to try for the Mechanics opening, a whirlwind of interviews and visas and paperwork that landed her here, scrubbing the walls of an abandoned classroom. She gave up on the walls for the most part and headed over to the second half of the large classroom where the machines were laid out. All the actual machines were carefully draped with dust covers, something that she was inherently thankful for.

Rey carefully removed the first cover, and grinned. Now this was what she was hoping for when she signed up to work at an elite boarding school. Top of the line equipment.  Cover after cover came off as she inspected each piece. It was almost like Christmas.

“Holy shit.” Rey swore to the empty air as she surveyed what she had to work with. There were milling machines, lathes, surface grinders, laser cutters, a vacuum former, 3D scanner and printer, equipment for welding, and a few high level computers. Where the classroom had been discarded and left to rust, the machines were well cared for. She checked the maintenance logs on a few of them and noticed they had been serviced only a few months ago.

Someone still cared about them.

She ran a loving hand over the familiar shapes of the milling machine. Plutt had one that wasn’t even half as decent and her fingers itched to get greasy again and try everything out. She carefully started to cover them all over again to prevent dust from getting in the mechanics, finding herself in a much better mood as she sang along to Journey’s Lights on the radio. There was a loud bang as the door suddenly flew open and she startled, cutting off mid chorus as she whirled towards the door.  

Kylo Fucking Ren.

He towered in her doorframe and he actually had to duck his head slightly as he pushed inside.

“What the hell are you doing in here?” He asked, his voice was deep and low, yet it still managed to project itself to fill every corner of the room. He glanced at her cleaning belt and wrinkled his nose at the lemony fresh scent in the air.

“Didn’t the Janitorial staff tell you that this room is off limits?” He growled. “You can’t touch that equipment!” He strode forward in two steps, yanking the dust cover from her fingers. “Idiot! You’ll destroy these machines with that fucking spray!”

Mr. Lucas had told her to avoid him, to stay out of his way. She was beginning to see that was going to be impossible, especially if he was going to come in to her space and yell at her like an inferior. He towered over her in a way that only an Alpha could, looming into her space without any effort and she had to force her way through the instinct to avert her eyes and step away. If an Alpha was strong enough, even Betas could be swayed to obey. Kylo Ren was most definitely an Alpha; her muted Beta nose could almost smell it. Everything about him was big, from his ears to his hands to his shoulders, down to his boat like feet. She bet his knot was astronomical.

Where the fuck did that come from?

She blushed suddenly at the obscene thought before forcing it and all other thoughts of Kylo Ren’s anatomy out of her head.

“Excuse me.” Rey fought back, pulling the dust cover back from his huge hands. “I’m not with the cleaning service. This is my classroom and I have more right to be here than you do. So let me be the one to ask you, what the hell are you doing here?” She did exactly what she wanted to do since the beginning and jabbed him hard in the chest. Her tiny finger met nothing but hard, Alpha muscle and she kept herself from wincing. It was like poking a sweater wearing slab of concrete.

Shit. She is totally going be fired before her first day.

Kylo looked at her incredulously for a moment before his eyes narrowed. They were dark in color and seemed to only grow blacker as rage filled his face.

“They hired you? For Mechanics and Engineering?” He laughs, the sound sarcastic and insulting before he shoves his hands in his pockets and smirks. “They really must be desperate to have scavenged you up from God knows where.”

“I’m more than qualified to be here, thank you.” Rey exclaimed defiantly. “Definitely more qualified than you.”

“I doubt that.” Kylo scoffs.

“Then why don’t you teach it?!” Rey is infuriated now.  “If you think you can do better than why are you off hiding in the corner with your chemistry set and not in here with the big boy machines?”

The tips of his extra large ears started to turn red and the look in his eyes went murderous. His voice came out nearly whispered, but he projected again and it felt near deafening to her cowardly ears.

“Your days are numbered, scavenger.”

He went to leave but suddenly reached over to rip the radio out of the wall, snapping the power cord in half as he yanked it and leaving the room in a wilting silence. “My radio.” He muttered and left, slamming the door so hard one of the framed posters that was left behind wobbled off the wall and fell, shattering glass all over the dusty floor.

Fucking Kylo Ren.

Rey was barely into her first day, hours after her contract was signed and she already knew that Kylo Ren was going to be a problem. And not just because he was a big knot-headed Alpha, but because he was a downright, blowhard asshole that saw himself doing no wrong.

Like every other big, knot-head Alpha.

Rey sighed, stepping gingerly over the glass to find a broom. Every workshop had one somewhere. She unlocked the storage doors at the back, gasping slightly. Each locker contained a classic, vintage car, all in some sort of disheveled project state. She couldn’t be sure until she got a closer look, but she swore she saw a rare Plymouth Hemi, an old school Corvette, and at least one Cobra. She practically drooled as she locked them back up, finally finding a utility closet with a broom and Shop-Vac.

Time to get to work. Time to prove to nobody, especially not to a stupid Chemistry teacher, that she belonged here.

She kicked the Shop-Vac on with her foot and muttered to herself as she cleaned up the glass.

Sorry, Mr. Lucas. The war with Kylo Ren was on. Scavenger? She’ll show him.

Notes:

Thanks again for reading! If you have the time to leave a comment, please do! It keeps the fire lit under the typing fingers lol.

Always thanks and love to KyloTrashForever for her horny cheerleading. She's the BAST.

And for Buggirl1964 for always reading what comes out of my fingers.