Actions

Work Header

Memoirs of the Lost

Chapter 20: Aida - Gran 765

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Aida - Gran 765


"I see you have once again gravitated to the roses, Empress Diadora," I teased. Diadora made a face at me, but happily skipped to them. Duchess Alicia trailed after her almost like a ghost, saying nothing. "I don't know why I am surprised. You always do."

"Are you truly surprised, or are you simply pretending to be so that you can make fun of me?" Diadora asked, making a face. However, her expression lit up when she looked to the roses. I wasn't sure why; they were the same as they were yesterday. "Hello, pretty ones~!"

"And now you're talking to the plants." I shook my head, even as I smiled fondly. Things like this were why she was so endearing. Even if they were also ridiculous. "Do they speak back?"

"You are so mean!" Diadora pouted at me before turning to Duchess Alicia. "Don't you agree, Alicia?"

"Oh, yes, she is the meanest," Duchess Alicia replied, glancing over at me. As always when she looked at me, the dull embers in her eyes sharpened into daggers. But her voice remained as tired as ever. Soft and low… and lifeless. A pale imitation of the tone she once used whenever she was healing someone. It made me squirm even more than her eyes. "Still, you are inordinately fond of roses. Why them?"

"Hmm… you know… I don't know," Diadora mused. She hummed a bit in thought, picking a few of the roses, and I tried to ignore the continued sharp hatred radiating from Duchess Alicia. Worse was that she never really said anything. I knew she hated me. She hated me for my part in the Battle of Belhalla, hated me for tricking all of them. But she never said anything about it. As much as she hated me… she didn't care enough to voice it. Which meant that I couldn't even argue or… or anything. "There's just this… contentness I always feel when I see them."

"Is that so?" Duchess Alicia took one of the roses from Diadora and began braiding it into her hair. "How strange."

"Isn't it?" Diadora smiled. "Maybe I lived in a place where roses grew before?"

"Maybe." Duchess Alicia looked sadly at the roses before taking another one to add more to Diadora's hair. She ignored me, and I was reminded of why I normally found something else to do in the mornings when they took their walks. Because that was just… what she did. She hated me, and didn't care. And any attempts to mend that bridge were met with daggers and lifeless words. I did have to admit to being a bit annoyed, since she didn't act this way with Arvis, but there was nothing I could do. Except be annoyed and a little saddened, because she was Arvis's sister and Arvis was my best friend. "Perhaps they were a treasured gift instead."

"Perhaps…" Diadora smiled softly at the roses, and I debated whether or not I should make my excuses. I did like spending time with Diadora, but not when Duchess Alicia was around. I just felt awkward. "Ah, but here I am just staring at the roses. We should continue walk-"

The sound of a child's cry got all three of us moving, and before long, we found the source. Ishtar, Duke Bloom's daughter, had fallen and scraped her knee. I had no idea why she was out here, since she should have been in lessons at this hour, but that didn't matter. What mattered was that she was hurt. Not that I could really do anything about it, mind. I was no healer, for one thing, and for another, Duchess Alicia whisked her away before long to treat her. The children, from my Cyas to little Julia, were the only ones who get her to move so quickly.

"Are you okay, Aida?" Diadora focused her attention on me when Duchess Alicia disappeared inside. "I forgot how awkward you and Alicia are with each other," she mumbled, smiling sheepishly. I could only smile and shrug in return. I didn't blame her for forgetting. After all, Duchess Alicia and I made a point to avoid each other. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," I reassured. What else could I say? "I do admit to being curious why I am unforgiven and Arvis is not, but I suppose…" I trailed off when she winced. "I must've missed something."

"...She hasn't forgiven him. She never will." Diadora looked back to where she had gone, eyes sad. "She loves him, certainly. And since he rules well, she bites her tongue. It is something they move past." She bit her lip and glanced at me. "But I think the reason why she stays in Belhalla, instead of leaving, is so that Arvis is forced to watch her slowly fall apart."

"...Ah." Which, of course, Arvis wouldn't tell me about. "And what do you think of that?"

"I… don't, really. Other than be sad for everyone involved." She shrugged helplessly before suddenly clapping her hands. "Ah! But that reminds me! I've been meaning to ask for a favor."

"Oh?" I straightened immediately, feeling a touch proud. Probably not a good thing, but I liked being relied on. "What is it?"

"You know how Arvis has people looking for Alicia's children? Can you take over that?"

"Me?"

"Yes, because you're the most trustworthy person we have and you're the most skilled!" She smiled at me, and a pleased blush washed over my face. "I think you'd have way more success."

"Well, we'll see. I do have other things…" But even as I said that, my mind was whirling with ideas and strategies. I loved multitasking, and nothing made me happier than having multiple difficult projects to sink my teeth into. ...Well, no, that was a lie. Cyas made me happier. But in terms of work, nothing made me happier. "But I'll… strongly request… being added on soon."

"Oh, thank you!" Somehow, Diadora's smile became even brighter. "So, for now, how about we finish that walk?"

"Of course." It would be much more enjoyable now. "But we're avoiding the roses, lest they steal your attention again!"

"So mean!"


Notes:

Author's notes: So, this may or may not have a reference to a oneshot in Memoirs of the Destined. Otherwise, this was just something that didn't want to leave me alone.

Series this work belongs to: