Actions

Work Header

Voltron Gems 2

Summary:

New challenges await the Voltron gems as their bonds are put to the test. From new developments in the team, to a diamond they didn't know existed taking over the Galra Empire, they'll have to overcome these challenges to create a better tomorrow for the universe.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1

Summary:

With Shiro gone, a new threat is on the horizon.

Chapter Text

The castle had an air of discomfort as everyone reconvened. Shiro wasn't found anywhere near the desolate planet where he had last been seen and news of another diamond's existence placed fear in the hearts of the Earth gems and Alteans.

"How could you have not told us there was another Diamond?!" Allura barked, hands on her hips as she glared at the Blade. 

"That was a mistake on our part," Kolivan's face remained neutral although he had difficulty looking Allura in the eyes. "We assumed that once Zarkon Diamond was defeated, it would be less difficult for Voltron to eradicate Lotor Diamond."

Hunk raised a hand. "Uh, yeah, I get where you're coming from and all, but would anyone like to tell us who this Lotor Diamond is?"

Kolivan moved his gaze to Antok, tilting his head. Antok pressed on a few buttons on his arm when a hologram of a mural of Lotor Diamond appeared.

"Lotor Diamond was created eons ago. Not much information is known about him, even within the Empire. All we know is that he is in charge of the," he paused for a bit, "less desirable gems so to speak."

Lance looked across the room and noticed Sven shuffling his feet and looking away from the screen.

"And what exactly does he do?" Keith crossed his arms.

"From our understanding, he mainly oversees weapons production and a few prisons. He keeps his projects under wraps; very few have access to his plans, fewer that are in his entourage."

"Entourage?"

Kolivan stepped to the side as Sven came forward. The mural of Lotor Diamond rose up as four shots of four different gems, all women, appeared on screen. Three of them were blue with only one red. There was a muscular one with fur, another that lacked eyes, and one that appeared the most normal next to the red one.

"You are aware that Zarkon Diamond had his own court of gems. This is Lotor's court," the muscular one's shot was highlighted, "this is his Jasper, Zethrid. With her brute strength, she has trained and fought against the most elite of gem armies." Next was the red one. "His Ruby, Ezor. She possesses cloaking abilities that allow her to retrieve information her Diamond desires."

"I didn't know rubies could camouflage," Pidge looked up inquisitively, mouth forming an 'oh.'

"That is not her gem powers. Those come from her flesh side."

"Flesh side? They're half-gems?" Keith's eyes widened a bit.

Half-gems were not a new concept. There had been a few on Earth. But they never would have thought Homeworld of all places would allow for gem-hybrids to exist.

"Of course," Sven answered. "Lotor Diamond himself is not a full gem, either. Thus, half-gems are handed over to him." He took a moment to realize how wrong that sounded. To the Diamonds, they were, by and large, merely tools for them to use for their own power. The picture of the one without eyes was next to be highlighted.

"Narti, his Sapphire, is as accurate with her predictions as she is with her skills. She may be blind to what is in front of her, but she knows who is her enemy." He raised his hand. "With a single touch, she can take over your whole body."

Lance, Hunk, and Pidge couldn't help but shiver at the thought.

The last one was a blue gem with short hair. "Lotor Diamond does not own a pearl of his own. Rather, he prefers having a right hand gem at his side. His blue spinel, Acxa, is the one he trusts the most. She has the skill, leadership, and all qualities to make her a threat should we be up against her." Keith's focus was on her. He knew he hadn't seen her before, but something felt off about her. The highlight was removed and Kolivan took over once more.

"Due to the tight-knit nature of Lotor Diamond, we cannot provide any accurate hypotheses to his plans. All we know is that with Zarkon Diamond gone, that leaves him to take over the Empire."

"And with him taking over, that's more trouble for us," Keith furrowed his brows.

"Precisely."

"So now what do we do?" Allura tightened the grip on her waist. "We can't just be sitting ducks while he continues what Zarkon started."

"You are right, your highness. Our best course of action is to delay any progress the Empire might make with Lotor's reign whilst you find another way to form Voltron."

"But we can't form Voltron without Shiro," Keith nearly snarled. "We need to find him first."

"We aren't saying you shouldn't, but we don't know how long that could take," Ulaz pointed out.

"Then we better get started." 

Keith had no idea what he was doing. He wasn't one to give orders just like that. But without Shiro, they were lost. He was lost. All anyone really knew, even if it wasn't spoken much, was that Shiro had chosen Keith to take the lead if anything were to happen to him.

"There...may be a way to find Shiro," Pidge said softly.

"What is it?!" He nearly jumped on her for answers, but managed to hold himself back, only allowing his quick turn to her give any indication to his impatience to hear her answer.

She put her hands behind her back after adjusting her goggles. "Do you recall the Looking Glass?"


A new plan was set in motion. There was still a chance to find Shiro and get him back. The Blade of Marmora agreed that with Zarkon Diamond no longer in the picture, now would be easier to free colonies from gem rule. Thus, they would spread out to different parts of the universe to drive away gem invaders and free the lifeforms that had been subjugated to the Galra. In the meantime, the Alteans and Earth gems would retrieve the Looking Glass and return with Shiro to form Voltron again.

The plan was to reconvene once Shiro was retrieved. While a few Blade members had tried to question the possibility of either not finding the black star diopside or worse, Keith would quiet them immediately. He was determined to get his love back. He lost him before. And then he was found. It would be like then, except it wouldn't be so long for them to be separated.

The rest of his team looked at him with worry, but they knew there wasn't much they could do. Shiro was important to all of them and they wanted him back as well. They just wished Keith would realize that anything could go wrong. And with that thought, Lance had to separate from his friends for a bit as he searched for his own diopside.

 

Sven was headed in the direction of the garage when he heard footsteps running towards him. He looked around to see the lapis lazuli nearly screeching to a halt the closer he got to him.

"Lance?"

Lance balanced himself upward, looking at Sven with desperation.

"Look, I know we haven't known each other for very long," he started. "And I know we have other things to worry about and we just unloaded a lot of luggage to one another."

"Luggage?" Sven perked an eyebrow.

"It's a figure of speech." He shook his head. "Anyway, the point I'm getting at is," he put a hand behind his neck. "What I wanna say is," he looked up at Sven with pleading eyes. "I'll come back if you come back."

Did that make sense? He probably wasn't making sense. He knew he shouldn't have done this. He-

Sven enveloped Lance's free hand in his own hands. 

"Is that promise?" 

Lance gulped. "Uh...yeah, I guess."

He was taken by surprise when Sven pulled him in for an embrace. But despite the shock, he managed to return it just the same. They pulled away, Sven giving Lance a nod.

"I promise. I return to you, and you return to me."

"Y-yeah. It's a promise." His heart kept pounding as Sven walked forward. "Well....goodbye."

Sven looked over his shoulder one more time. "I believe expression should be see you later." He continued his way to the ship he would be leaving on.

Lance felt a little guilty. He tapped his thumbs together as he returned to the main deck. Now probably wasn't the right time to be pinning over a new crush. But if Shiro could disappear, who's to say anyone else wouldn't? He didn't want to risk not saying goodbye and something bad happening to Sven, too. At the very least, he was able to do it privately. Keith would have likely barked at him to keep his mind focused on finding Shiro. Which was important, of course. But Lance's heart couldn't take another departure without a farewell. 

He returned in time for Hunk to brief him in on where they were headed.