Actions

Work Header

A Twist in Fate: Nico's Story

Chapter 39: Foster Parents?

Notes:

Last Chapter: Jiraiya, helped out the Kirai's by using his rasengan to pulverize the trees blocking the entrance into the valley. Afterwards, after eavesdropping on a conversation, Brandon, learned about Nico. After Brandon, pressed for more answers, Aizen, agreed to tell Brandon everything. Aizen, also revealed to Brandon, that he is likely a descendant of Hades. Brandon, then revealed that strange things happened when he was an infant. Afterwards, Aizen, had to come up with ideas on how to feed the village. What will happen now?

Chapter Text

Nico and Kiseki, finish up with the dictionary.

“You will have to spend a few days memorizing the kanji.” Kiseki says. “However, you seem to understand the basic rules when combining kanji and creating sentences, which is great.”

Nico, only gives a nod. Kiseki, then looks towards the entrance. He gets up and walks over to the entrance. Kiseki, glances outside.

“The sun has been shining all day.” Kiseki says. “If the sun shines all day tomorrow, then the ground should be completely dry in two days.”

“That’s good.” Nico remarks. Kiseki, walks back over and sits down.

“The sun is actually beginning to set.” Kiseki says. “We should probably get ready to make a fire for the night.”

Nico, nods. Kiseki, gestures for Nico to get up. Nico, stands up.

“We should probably start with a quick bathroom break and a drink of water.” Kiseki says. “After that, we shall get a fire started. Then, we will eat.”

Nico, nods and follows Kiseki, out of the shelter. The two of them head towards the spring.

******************************

Aizen, carefully observes the work in the kitchen of the elders meeting house. Women, are quickly rolling out dough to make flatbreads. Other women are preparing meat and veggie kabobs. Aizen, sighs. Most of the hunting parties that he sent out were successful. All of the deer and rabbits that the hunting parties brought back were very quickly skinned and the meat was cut up. Now, the women are preparing meat and veggie kabobs for the whole village. Every villager will also have a small flatbread to eat with their meat kabobs. At least everyone will have something to eat tonight.

Taki, puts all of the pieces of dough that she has shaped into flatbreads onto a platter. Another woman begins cooking the pieces of dough on a griddle.

Aizen, sighs again. This is certainly a lot of work. Aizen, thinks to himself. However, it will be worth it. Everyone shall at least have something to eat tonight.  

Aizen, turns to look at the doorway of the kitchen. Hajime, and some other children are standing in the doorway. Their eyes are wide as they watch the women work. Hajime, looks at Aizen.

“All of that food is really for everyone in the village?” Hajime asks.

“Yes.” Aizen says. Aizen, walks up to the doorway and gestures for the children to let him through. The children oblige.

Aizen, enters the big room where the children are playing. Little girls are playing with stuffed animals, dolls, figurines, and play dish sets. Little boys are playing with stuffed animals, toy tool sets, blocks, and little figurines.

Aizen, then notices that Brandon has come out of his room. Brandon, silently watches as the children play happily.

Hajime, Takuma, Kisho, and their friends quickly notice Brandon. The boys approach Brandon.

“Hello.” Hajime says. “Who are you?”

Brandon, holds his head down a little, as if he not sure of himself.

“I am Brandon.” Brandon says. “Brandon Pierce.”

“What a strange name.” One of Takuma’s friends replies.

Now,” Aizen says to Takuma’s friend, scolding him. “Bakuro, that is not a nice thing to say.”

“What strange clothing.” A friend of Hajime’s says. “I have never seen such weird looking clothing.”

“Aito,” Aizen says scoldingly to Hajime’s friend. “That is not a nice thing to say, either.”

Hajime and Takuma, carefully look at Brandon’s clothing. Hajime, narrows his eyes.

“Are you from another world?” Hajime suddenly asks.

Brandon, seems taken aback by the question. “Yes...I am.” Brandon says slowly.

The eyes of Hajime, Takuma, and their friends widen instantly. They all looks at one another.

“That explains the strange name.” Bakuro says. Bakuro, is from the Yamauchi Clan. Bakuro, has short brown hair and blue eyes.

“And the strange clothing.” Aito says. Aito, is from the Kita Clan. Aito, has short black hair with a couple of long bangs framing his face. Aito, has periwinkle blue eyes.

“Boys!” Aizen says again scoldingly.

“Aizen,” Taki’s voice says from the kitchen. She suddenly appears in the entryway. “What is going on? Is everything ok?”

“Hajime,” Aizen begins. “Kisho, Takuma, and their friends have just met Brandon. Aito and Bakuro, made impolite comments on Brandon’s name and clothing. I had to scold Aito and Bakuro for their impoliteness.”

“Oh,” Taki says simply. Taki, then walks up to the group. She looks at Brandon. Taki, turns to Aizen.

"So,” Taki begins. “This is Brandon?”

Aizen nods. “Yes.” Aizen says.

Taki, smiles at Brandon. “Hello, Brandon.” Taki says. “My name is Taki. I am Aizen’s wife.”

“Wife?” Brandon asks.

Taki, nods. She turns to Hajime. “Hajime,” Taki, says as she gestures towards Hajime. “Is mine and Aizen’s son.”

“Son?” Brandon asks.

Taki, gives another nod. She looks at Takuma. “Takuma,” Taki says as she gestures towards Takuma. “Is my little brother.”

“Little brother?!” Brandon asks with wide eyes. Brandon, looks at Hajime and Takuma.

“The two of you are really uncle and nephew?” Brandon asks. Hajime and Takuma nod.

Taki, then looks at Kisho. “Kisho,” Taki begins. “Is Aizen’s cousin.”

“Cousin?” Brandon asks. Taki nods.

Taki, then looks over to the kitchen. “I should get back to work.” Taki says. She walks back into the kitchen.

“Now,” Aizen says to his son, young brother-in-law, and cousin, and their friends. “All of you need to be respectful towards Brandon. He is our guest.”

“Yes.” All of the boys say. They then turn to Brandon.

"Come on!” Hajime says. “We can introduce you to everyone.”

Brandon, blinks a few times. “...Ok…” Brandon slowly says.

Brandon, follows the other boys towards where all of the other children are playing.

***************************

Nico, and Kiseki arrive back at the shelter entrance. The sun is just starting to set below the horizon.

“Come on.” Kiseki says. “We better get a fire started. It will be dark before we know it.”

“Yes.” Nico says simply.

Nico, and Kiseki walk into the shelter. A pile of twigs sits by the hearth. Kiseki, turns to Nico.

“Why don’t you make the fire?” Kiseki suggests. “Practice makes perfect.”

Nico, nods. Nico, throws some twigs and sticks into the hearth. Nico, arranges the wood inside the hearth appropriately. Nico, then reaches into his special jacket pocket and grabs his flint and metal and starts to rub them together. Sparks fly onto the wood in the hearth. Within minutes, Kiseki and Nico, have a roaring fire.

“Good job.” Kiseki says.

Kiseki, reaches into his pack and takes out two pears. He hands one to Nico. Nico, graciously accepts the pear. Nico, takes a bite and savors the sweetness. Nico, takes another bite. About five bites later, the pear is completely finished. Nico, throws his core full of seeds off to the side. Kiseki, has also finished his pear.

“I thought that you could practice your chakra control,” Kiseki says. “Before we go to sleep.”

Nico, eagerly nods his head. Nico, makes the hand sign for chakra control and closes his eyes. Nico, begins to focus his chakra.

*********************************

The sun is now fully below the horizon. The Kirai Village has just finished with dinner.

Aizen, sighs, as he watches Taki discuss future meals with the other village women. They are debating on what should be fixed for breakfast, since there is a lack of dishes.

"I did just discover that we had beans and lentils.” Taki says. “I remember that my mother used to make bean and lentils purees. Then, she added those purees to whole grain flour and some leveners, and made pancakes. If we made small pancakes like that, people could just eat one by hand and not worry about a plate. We could then chop up some fruit, so that everyone at least gets some fruit.”

“Good idea.” A woman says. “I trust that you can make the pancakes just as your mother made them.”

“Oh, yes!” Taki says. “I shall supervise breakfast preparation tomorrow.”

“Alright.” The woman says. She walks away. The other women do the same. Taki, walks back up to Aizen and her waiting family. The family is all sitting together in a corner. The children are starting to get sleepy. It will soon be time to go home. However, there is still one decision to be made. What shall the village, do with Brandon?

Brandon, is actually sticking close to Aizen’s family. Hajime, is holding baby Akito. Hajime, hands the baby to his mother. Baby Akito makes cute baby noises. Taki, smiles and coos at the baby boy. Taki, then notices Brandon, sticking close by, yet still staying off to the side. It’s as if Brandon, is unsure whether to engage with the villagers.

“Brandon,” Taki begins. “Aren’t you lonely over there by yourself? Why don’t you come and join us?”

Brandon, blinks. “Ok…,” Brandon says. Brandon, goes over to Aizen, Taki, and the rest of the family. Brandon, sits close to Taki and Aizen.

“Thank you.” Brandon says.

“You’re welcome.” Taki says. She gently rocks baby Akito.

Brandon, silently sits on the tatami mat flooring. Brandon’s mind seems to be elsewhere.

“Brandon,” Taki begins. “Are you ok? Are you missing your birth world?”

“No.” Brandon says. “My parents never cared for me. I don’t miss them...or their horrible house.”

Brandon, blinks a few times. “In fact,” Brandon says. “I think that it would be better if I didn’t go ‘home’. No one there would miss me anyway.”

Taki, and Aizen look at one another. It sounds as if Brandon, would rather stay in this world, than go back to his birth world. Aizen, sighs. This needs to be discussed with the elders.

Brandon, lays down on the floor. He starts to fall asleep. Aizen, suddenly realizes that a decision must be made. Brandon, will need someone to look after him. Aizen, sighs. Now, he has to pick a foster family to take care of Brandon. Aizen, whispers to Taki, that he is going to talk with the elders. Taki, nods. Aizen, stands up and walks over to the elders.

“Let us gather in private.” Aizen says. “We have something to discuss.”

All of the elders, nod and follow Aizen, into a separate room. After everyone is gathered inside the room, an elder closes the door.

“Brandon…,” Aizen begins. “Said things that makes me believe that he is not interested in going back to his birth world.”

The eyes of all the elders widen instantly.

“What kind of things did the boy say?” Korra asks.

Aizen, sighs. He slowly repeats everything that Brandon said to him and Taki. After he is finished, all of the elders get looks of understanding on their faces.

“Well,” Atsuko says. “Considering what the boy went through in his birth world, I can certainly not blame him for not wanting to go back. We cannot force Brandon to go back to his birth world.”

“But…,” Seiji begins. “If the boy stays here, he will need someone to look after him.”

“That is right.” Aizen says. “That is why I have gathered all of you here to talk. We must decide on a suitable person, couple, or family, to foster Brandon. We could even find a family willing to adopt him.”

“Of course.” Korra says. She closes her eyes to think about things.

“There are certainly many great families in the village who would make excellent foster parents.” Korra says. “However, a few of the families that I am thinking of have been displaced by the storm. Other families that I can think of already have to house displaced relatives. There would probably not be any room for Brandon, in those households. All of the other families that I am thinking of have a lot of children, meaning that Brandon would be a burden on those households.”

“Traditionally…,” Atsuko says. “When an orphaned or abandoned child arrives at the village, the head of the village and his family, or direct relatives foster the child, until a suitable adoptive family is found.”

Aizen’s eyes widen. He realizes what his great Aunt is saying.

“Me?” Aizen asks. “Taki and I?”

Atsuko, nods. Aizen, takes a deep breath.

“Great-Aunt Atsuko,” Aizen says. “My household is pretty full. We do have quite a few children within the household. I really don’t know if Taki and I could take on a ‘foster child’.”

“It’s not like all of the children in your household are babies or very young.” Atsuko says. “Hajime, Takuma, and Kisho are not babies anymore. Yuri and Mio are no longer toddlers. Arata and Arashi are already performing some adult duties in the village. Amaya and Takara are adults.”  

“But Amaya and Tarou will be going to Konoha very soon.” Aizen says. “We will be short adults within our household. We don’t even know how long they will be gone!”

“I know…,” Atsuko says. “However, I think that Brandon, has already become attached to you and Taki. Hajime, Takuma, and Kisho are also around Brandon’s age. They can help him get more acclimated to the village.”

Aizen, closes his eyes. His great aunt has a point. Aizen, opens his eyes. He will leave the final decision up to Taki.

“I see your point in having Taki and I foster Brandon.” Aizen says. “However, as a good husband, I must include Taki’s opinion in making such a big decision. The final decision will ultimately be up to Taki.”

Aizen, exits the room. He walks over to where Taki, Brandon, and the rest of the family are. The children are now asleep. Taki, holds baby Akito in her arms. Tarou, Amaya, and Takara are still awake. Aizen, then decides to include Tarou, Amaya, and Takara, in the conversation as well. Aizen, gestures for Taki, Tarou, Amaya, and Takara to follow him. Taki, carefully gets up from her spot and follows Aizen. Tarou, Amaya, and Takara do the same. Aizen, leads the group to another private room.

Aizen, lets out a deep sigh. He gets ready to tell Taki, and the others all about the elders idea.

**********************************

Nico, sits in the shelter. He has been focusing his chakra for nearly two hours now. Finally, Kiseki tells Nico that he can stop.

“Nico,” Kiseki says. “You can stop focusing your chakra now.”

Nico, releases the hand sign and opens his eyes.

“Since we don’t have to much to do,” Kiseki says. “I think that we should go to bed early.”

Nico, nods. He suddenly lets out a slight yawn. Just thinking of sleep is making him feel tired. However, he did not sleep that great due to the storm. That must be why he is feeling tired this early.

Nico, lays down on the shelter floor. He grabs a blanket and covers himself with it. The blanket may not be actually his, but hey, it’s there so he may as well use it.

Nico, closes his eyes. Within minutes he is fast asleep.

**************************************

Aizen, Taki, Tarou, Amaya, and Takara stand in the room of the elders meeting house.

“Of course I would foster Brandon!” Taki says. “I am already fond of the boy. Hajime, Kisho, and Takuma, already seem to be friends with him.”

“I am just worried about how we will care for an extra child with Amaya and Tarou leaving for Konoha very soon.” Aizen says.

“I am concerned as well, but I am sure that we will manage somehow.” Taki says.

“Fostering a child certainly is a life altering decision.” Tarou says. “However, I do have to agree that our household is the best place for Brandon.”

Amaya, and Takara, just look at one another. They do not know what to say to this.

Aizen, sighs. “I suppose that I should go tells the elders about our decision.” Aizen says.

Aizen, walks out of the room. The others follow him. Aizen, walks over and reenters the room that the elders are waiting in.

“Taki, wants to foster Brandon.” Aizen simply says.

“Excellent!” Atsuko says. “It is getting late. You must get the children home.”

Aizen, turns back to his family. Amaya, and Takara, wake up Arashi, Arata, Yuri, and Mio. The four of them are way too old and big to be carried.

Amaya, hands the basket full of the girls toys to Yuri. Takara, hands the basket of the boys toys to, Arata. Tarou, retrieves Brandon’s things and puts them into a bag. Tarou, then picks up Takuma, who is still asleep. Takuma, just moves slightly. He snuggles up against his father’s body as Tarou, holds him in his arms. Amaya, is now holding baby Akito. Taki, picks up Hajime. Hajime, twitches slightly in his sleep. Takara, then picks up Kisho. Kisho, just lets out a soft yawn as Takara, holds him in her arms.

Aizen, walks over to his family. Aizen, gently picks up Brandon. Brandon, twitches slightly, and his eyelids flutter just a little. Eventually, Brandon, lets out a small yawn and snuggles into Aizen’s arms. Brandon’s lays his head gently on Aizen’s shoulder. Aizen, manages a smile. Aizen, and the other adults carry the boys out of the elders meeting house. Arashi, Arata, Yuri, and Mio quietly follow them.

*******************************

Jarou, peers into the well. He watches Nico and Kiseki sleep peacefully inside their shelter. Jarou lets out a smile.

“I hope that you have a good night’s sleep Nico.” Jarou says. “In order to work hard you must be well rested.”

Jarou, releases the jutsu and prepares to walk back to his cave. However, Jarou, scans the area before leaving. Ever since that night when Jarou, first heard the sound, he has had the eerie feeling that someone is watching him. Jarou, carefully scans the surrounding forest. However, he sees nothing. Jarou, sighs and starts walking back to his cave.

Jarou, does not notice Hiro, watching him from behind a cluster of trees. Hiro’s eyes narrow as he watches Jarou, walk back to his cave.

*****************************

Itachi and Kisame are sitting inside a cave. The two of them have just made a fire. Kisame lets out an annoyed grunt.

“Well this is just great.” Kisame says. “We have been looking for your grandson for days. Now, because of that freaky storm, we can’t travel, due to the ground being a muddy mess. I hate delays! I just want to hurry up and find the kid.”

Itachi, does not comment. He just stares at the fire. Kisame, scoffs.

“Alright then,” Kisame says. “It is very apparent that you don’t want to talk. I am going to go to sleep then.”

Kisame, lays down in front of the fire and closes his eyes.

Itachi, continues to stare at the fire. Itachi, closes his eyes as he thinks about the last few days. Itachi and Kisame, had to take shelter from the storm last night. Now the two of them can’t travel due to it being so muddy. This certainly delays the duo in their search for Nico.

Itachi, opens his eyes. Truthfully, he doesn’t want to capture Nico, and bring him into the life of the Akatsuki. However, Itachi, also knows that Nico, is still very young and is an easy target. If Nico, got captured and killed by a hidden village, and that village found out about his heritage, the secrets of the sharingan could be stolen. Itachi, cannot let that happen.

Itachi, closes his eyes again. He also keeps thinking back to Tobi/Madara’s words.

“As far as I’m concerned,” Tobi/Madara says, sneering behind his mask. “Your grandson is not part of our agreement.”

Itachi, opens his eyes. Deep down, Itachi, knew that Tobi/Madara, would say something like that. However, it was the last words, that Tobi/Madara said sent chills down Itachi’s spine. Itachi, just cannot get that threat out of his head.

Tobi/Madara sneers under his mask again. “However,” Tobi/Madara says. “If the boy proves to be weak or too troublesome...I shall dispose of him!”

Itachi, blinks a few times. Itachi, knows that Tobi/Madara’s threat was serious, and that Tobi/Madara will carry out the threat if he is displeased by Nico. Itachi, knows that capturing Nico, will put him right into Tobi/Madara’s hands, making it easier for Tobi/Madara to hurt the boy.

What am I going to do? Itachi inwardly asks himself. I will not be able to guard the boy 24/7 when he is eventually captured by the Akatsuki. Anytime that I am not near the boy, there is an opportunity for Madara to carry out the threat.

Itachi, closes his eyes. He will need to think of ways to protect Nico, without compromising his mission. Itachi, opens his eyes and stares at the fire.