Actions

Work Header

A Twist in Fate: Nico's Story

Chapter 35: Complicated

Notes:

Last Chapter: Nico and Kiseki had to move to higher ground due to the nearby creek rising. After they were safe, Kiseki, offered to teach Nico, to read, since they might not be able to move for a few days. Meanwhile, Masaru opened the dimensional rift to slow time down again, but accidentally sent a person to the ninja world! The storm also affected the Kirai's valley, which caused Aizen, Jiraiya, Tarou, and many other men to evacuate villagers from their homes. After all of the evacuations were done, Aizen and Tarou, had to go look for Tai. They found Tai, in the cave which is the entrance into the valley. Tai, was guarding a small boy, who appeared to be from Nico's world. Aizen, and Tarou, realized that it was Masaru's fault for the mysterious child's appearance. They ended up taking the child back to the village. What will happen now?

Chapter Text

Masaru, slowly regains consciousness. He slowly tries to remember what happened.

I accidentally sent someone to our world. Masaru thinks. This is a disaster!

Masaru, closes his eyes trying to think of what he actually saw. The figure appeared to be small, probably a small child.

Oh no, Masaru thinks. I sent a child to our world. Now there is another child lost out there somewhere.

****************************

Aizen, stands near the doorway leading to a small room. The elders, Tarou, and Jiraiya, stand nearby. They are waiting for the village healers to get done examining the mysterious boy that they found. It is so strange. The boy has not fought them once. However, the boy, has not spoken a word to any of them. The boy, kept shivering the whole walk to the elders meeting house, which made the village healers suspect hypothermia, so they took him away to be examined.

Korra, and Seiji, stand together. Korra, has a deep frown on her face.

“Masaru, has certainly messed up now.” Korra says with a frown.

“Yes,” Seiji says. “Indeed he has. This is not the thing that we need to be dealing with right now.”

“Masaru,” Aizen says. “Has made things even more complicated. However, There are things about the situation that need to be studied in detail.”

Aizen, takes a deep breath. “First off,” Aizen begins. “There are many unanswered questions. Masaru, told us that he was opening the dimensional rifts in an isolated forest.”

Aizen, closes his eyes. “Why was a young boy,” Aizen begins. “Probably no older than seven at the most, in an isolated forest by himself?”

Tarou, the elders, and Jiraiya, all narrow their eyes.

“That is a good question.” Atsuko says. “From what Masaru, told us, there are no campgrounds near that forest either. So, we can rule out the possibility that the boy was camping with his family and got lost.”

Aizen, opens his eyes. “I also noticed a few things,” Aizen says. “While Tarou and I were bringing the boy here. The boy...seemed to be very dirty, and thin. His clothing was also very worn and dirty.”

Everyone else narrows their eyes.

Aizen, shows everyone the boy’s backpack.

“Tarou and I found this,” Aizen says. “With the boy.”

“We should look through it.” Seiji says. “We may find clues as to exactly where the boy came from, why he was in the forest...and his identity.”

Aizen, nods. He slowly unzips the backpack. The first thing that Aizen, pulls out of the bag is a tattered blue baby blanket. He hands the blanket to Korra. Korra, frowns as she examines the blanket.

“This blanket is old,” Korra says. She quickly wrinkles her nose. “And it could use a good wash too.”

The next thing that Aizen, pulls out of the bag, is a stuffed green stegosaurus. The stuffed stegosaurus, is slightly tattered and very dirty. Aizen, hands the toy to, Seiji. Seiji, narrows his eyes as he examines the toy.

“This could also use a good cleaning.” Seiji, says with a frown on his face.

Aizen, then pulls out a small sack filled with toy cars. Aizen, hands the sack of toy cars to, Atsuko. Atsuko, examines the toys.

“All of these…,” Atsuko says. “Could use a good wipe down with a cloth.”

Aizen, then pulls out a short book about dinosaurs. Aizen, hands the book to, Tarou. Tarou, flips through the pages of the book.

“A few pages have rips at the edges,” Tarou says. “But otherwise...it is in decent shape.”

The last few things to be pulled out of the backpack, include a small plastic triceratops, and a spare change of clothes. The spare change of clothes are just as dirty and worn out as the clothes that the boy currently has on.

Everyone examines the collection of stuff.

“I suppose that it is obvious that the boy,” Aizen says. “Has been without proper care for a while.”

“However,” Korra says. “We still have no idea of the boy’s name, or where exactly he came from in that world. If we are going to send him back, then we need to know where he came from.”

All of the sudden, one of the healers steps out of the room. Her face is unreadable as she looks at everyone gathered.

“We have a lot to discuss about the child,” The healer says. “Please come in.”

Everyone slowly follows the healer into the room. Another healer sits by a small futon that has been placed in front of a fireplace. The mysterious boy, lays on the futon, sound asleep. The healer sitting by the futon, gestures towards the boy.

“We took off the boy’s wet clothes.” The healer says. “We managed to wash him up.”

“It took a whole jar of shampoo to get his hair clean.” The healer, who led everyone inside says.

Aizen, then notices that the boys hair is no longer brown. It is black. His hair must have appeared brown because of all the dirt and grime in it.

“However…,” The village healer sitting by the futon says. “When we took the boy’s clothes off we discovered something.”

The village healer who sits by the futon, slowly grabs a corner of the blanket covering the boy. She slowly begins to lift it up, exposing one of the boy’s legs. Aizen’s eyes widen with shock. All over, the boy’s leg are bruises. The village healer shows Aizen, the other leg. There are bruises all over the other boy’s leg as well. The village healer quickly covers both legs up.

“We also discovered similar bruises on the boy’s arms and back.” The village healer who led everyone inside says. “A lot of them actually appeared to be at least a few days old.”

“So…,” Aizen says. “You’re telling me that this child was probably abused back in his own world.”

Both of the healers nod sadly. Aizen, closes his eyes.

“I am beginning to think that this boy ran away from home.” Aizen says slowly. “He must have somehow ended up in the forest, where he got sucked into Masaru’s dimensional rift.”

“I also think that this is probably the case.” Atsuko says with a solemn voice. “The question now is what to do with him? If we send him back into the forest, where he was before, he may not be able to find his way out of the forest...and will thus perish. However, if we try to pinpoint where he came from, and send him back there—”

“Then we may end up sending the boy right back into the hands of his abusers.” Korra says with a solemn voice. She looks closely at the boy and then at the healers. “Has he spoken at all?”

Both of the healers shake their heads. “No.” The healer sitting by the futon says. “We did ask him his name and where his home is...but he never responded to any of our questions.”

Seiji, closes his eyes. “The boy is probably very confused by the situation.” Seiji says. “I think that it would be best if we all retired and tried to get some sleep before sunrise. Perhaps the boy will be more willing to talk in the morning.”

Korra, nods. “That sounds like a good idea.” Korra says. “However, I think that one of us should stay here. That way in case the boy wakes up he won’t feel inclined to run off.”

“I will stay.” The healer who sits by the futon says. “I shall go grab a futon now.”

“Alright, Mairu.” Korra says.

Aizen, walks out of the room and walks over to a window. The storm is starting to die down now. Aizen, closes his eyes.

I can’t believe that this happened, Aizen thinks to himself. We are already stressed enough over Nico, being here, but to have this boy here as well...it’s stressful. We don’t even know if we should send him back to his own world now...with this new development.

Aizen, opens his eyes. Even they were to keep the boy, who would raise him? Who could they even ask?

Aizen, sighs as he views the damage done to the village through the window. Cleaning up the aftermath of this storm is going to be such a job. First Nico, then this storm, now this boy! Why does life have to be so complicated?

Aizen, blinks and turns back towards the others. He looks down at the boy. A thought soon crosses his mind. He knows that many demigods make perilous journeys when they attempt to find Camp Half-Blood. What if the boy is actually a demigod, and he was actually trying to find Camp Half-Blood when he was sent here?

Aizen, walks up to the others. “I was just thinking…,” Aizen says. “There is a possibility that this child could be a demigod...just like Nico and Daniel. Maybe he was actually trying to find Camp Half-Blood when he was sent here.”

Everyone present just narrow their eyes. Aizen, is right...that is a good possibility.

“If he was a demigod…,” Atsuko says. “I would expect him to have a powerful aura...like Daniel.”

Korra, narrows her eyes as she looks closer at the boy. “The boy actually does have a slight aura.” Korra says. “It’s not as powerful as Daniel’s...but there is an aura.”

Another thought soon crosses Aizen’s mind.

“Maybe the boy is not a true half-blood, but he is still related to the gods” Aizen says. “Demigods do manage to survive into adulthood, and have children. Maybe the boy is not a true demigod, but rather a descendant of a god.”

Everyone narrows their eyes. That is a good possibility.

“I am sure that we will find answers when he wakes up.” Atsuko says. “However, we must all get some rest. It has been a long night.”

Everyone else just nod. They leave the room. However, Aizen, spares one more glance at the boy before he leaves. Aizen, thinks really hard about the boy’s features. For some reason, the boy’s features...almost remind him of...Hades.

******************************

Kiseki, adds a few more twigs to the hearth. He looks at Nico’s sleeping form. He inwardly sighs.

The two of us sure had a close call tonight, Kiseki thinks to himself. If that mysterious voice had not woken me up...I dread to think of what would have happened.

Kiseki, thinks back to that voice he heard. It must have been the spirit that has been watching over, Nico. but if the mysterious spirit, is watching over Nico, then why did it choose to wake him up instead of Nico. Perhaps the spirit, realized that Kiseki, would know exactly what to do in that kind of situation. Kiseki, closes his eyes. He supposes that he will never know for sure.

Kiseki, looks towards the entrance. The storm is finally beginning to die down. However, Kiseki, realizes that the ground outside is going to be a muddy mess, guaranteed. Kiseki, closes his eyes.

We won’t be able to move for a few days at the most. Kiseki thinks to himself. I just hope that I have enough food to last us for the next few days. Things sure have gotten very complicated.

*****************************

Mairu, has turned out the lights to the room. The only light is the fire in the fireplace, and a lamp on a table, which sits by a rocking chair. A basket full of knitting supplies sits beside the rocking chair. However, Mairu’s main focus right now is the boy on the futon.

The boy breathes softly as he sleeps. Mairu, gently caresses the boy’s cheek, checking to make sure that he is not getting too warm. All of the sudden, the boy’s eyes flutter open. Mairu, retracts her hand and smiles warmly at the boy. The mysterious boy looks around the room.

Where am I? The mysterious boy thinks to himself. How did I get here?

“Hello there…,” Mairu says with a warm smile. “You fell asleep after your bath.”

The mysterious boy blinks a few times. “I...I remember.” The boy says slowly. “You...and another lady took my wet clothes off...and gave me a bath.”

Mairu, holds back her surprise. The boy actually spoke to her! “Yes!” Mairu says.

“I suppose that you and the other woman saw my bruises?” The boy asks.

Mairu, closes her eyes. “Yes.” Mairu says with a solemn voice. “Yes, we did. Can you tell me where you got those bruises?”

The boy closes his eyes. “My parents.” The boy simply says. “That’s why I ran away.”

Mairu’s eyes darken. I see , Mairu thinks. The boy’s parents gave him those bruises. He mentioned both of his parents, so he must not be a demigod. But he could still be a descendant of a god.

“I see.” Mairu simply says. “What I would like to know now is your name...and perhaps your age as well.”

The boy closes his eyes. “Brandon.” The boy says. “Brandon Pierce. I am seven.”

The boy, Brandon, then opens his eyes. He looks at Mairu, with pleading eyes.

“Are you gonna send me back to my parents?!” Brandon asks. “Please, don’t!”

“Shh, there, there.” Mairu says. “If you don’t want to go back to your parents, no one in this village will force you too.”

Brandon, narrows his eyes. “Village?” Brandon asks.

Mairu, sighs. “There is much to explain.” Mairu says. “I can explain everything once you tell me what you remember after running away from home.”

Brandon, blinks a few times. “I…,” Brandon begins. “I packed a bag and snuck out my bedroom window. Then...I ran until I ended up in a forest. All of the sudden, I remember it becoming really windy. Then...I was in the air...flying towards this blue tornado. I flew into the blue tornado and just floated in the air...surrounded by blue swirling energy. Then, I was dropped on the ground, and it was storming really bad. The blue tornado disappeared. I got up to go look for shelter. It was so windy...I thought that I would blow away. However, I found a cave. I layed down in it for a while. Then, this dog found me. After that two men...wearing white robe thingies found me. One of the men picked me up and—”

Brandon, stops mid-sentence. He looks around the room. “And brought me here.” Brandon says finishing his sentence. “Then, you and another lady gave me a bath and I fell asleep.”

Mairu, nods. “Yes.” Mairu says. “The man that carried you here was our village leader, Aizen.”

Mairu, sighs. “Brandon…,” Mairu begins. “Would you believe me if I told you that other dimensions exist?”

Brandon’s eyes widen. “I can’t see why you would lie about something like that.” Brandon says. “I think that the existence of other dimensions would be cool!”

Mairu, sighs. “You see Brandon,” Mairu says. “The blue tornado...was what you could call a dimensional rift. It sent you to another dimension...here.”

Brandon’s eyes widen. “Wh...what?” Brandon asks.

Mairu, sighs and begins to explain about the Kirai’s village, dimensional rifts, and about the world in general. Mairu, even tells Brandon, that the dimensional rift that sent him here was actually created by a Kirai. At the end of it all, Brandon’s eyes are wide.

“Another dimension.” Brandon says to himself, in an attempt to absorb everything that Mairu just told him. “A world full of ninjas. Sent here because a Kirai opened a dimensional rift.”

Mairu, nods. Brandon, closes his eyes.

“You said that people in your village could send me back to my own world.” Brandon says. “But...maybe it would be better if I didn’t go back.”

Mairu, is taken aback by Brandon’s statement.

“No one loves me in my world.” Brandon says with a solemn voice. “Maybe it’s better this way...staying here. It’s not like anyone would miss me back in my world.”

Brandon, closes his eyes and turns on the futon. All of the sudden, Brandon, gets a panicked look on his face.

“My dinosaur and my blanket!” Brandon says with alarm. “Where is my backpack? My dinosaur and my blanket are in it. I sleep with them every night!”

Mairu, manages a smile. “Don’t worry,” Mairu says. “Aizen made sure to grab your backpack. Him and the village elders looked through it...thinking that it contained some clues about you. My friend...the other lady that bathed you, actually cleaned your toys off.”

Mairu, fetches a nearby basket. She pulls out a now clean and mended stuffed green stegosaurus, along with a now clean and mended blue blanket. Brandon’s eyes widen instantly. Mairu, hands the stuffed dinosaur and blanket to Brandon.

“I can’t believe how clean they are.” Brandon says. “My dinosaur and blanket have not been this clean in a long time.”

Brandon, hugs both the dinosaur and blanket. He then closes his eyes and falls asleep.

Mairu, slowly gets up and walks over to her own futon. Boy she is very tired.

*********************************

Aizen and Taki lay on their futon together. The entire household is still holed up inside the safe room, because many windows in certain bedrooms have been blown out.

Aizen and Taki, whisper to each other about the events of the night.

“So…,” Taki whispers. “What are you gonna do about this boy?”

“Truthfully…,” Aizen whispers. “I don’t know. I really need to think about this really hard.”

“If we do keep him and make him apart of our village,” Taki whispers. “Then we will need to find adoptive parents...or at least foster parents to raise him.”

“I don’t even know how to decide something like that.” Aizen whispers.

“You know what, let’s just get some sleep.” Taki whispers. “I am sure you will be able to think more clearly after some rest.”

“Good idea.” Aizen whispers. “Besides, we have a long day of clean up ahead of us.”

After sharing a quick kiss, Aizen and Taki, settle down on their futon and fall asleep.