Actions

Work Header

A Twist in Fate: Nico's Story

Chapter 26: Watching From A Distance Part 3

Notes:

Last Chapter: Amaya, remembered how Aiko/Maria met Hades and fell in love with him. Amaya, also remembered watching the births of Aiko/Maria's children, Bianca and Nico. Amaya, also remembered the events which led to Aiko/Maria's death. What will happen now?

Spoiler: This chapter contains scenes from The Titan's curse. Like the Aiko/Maria death scene from the last chapter, all parts directly from the book shall be underlined. All of the underlined dialogue will be part of memory scenes. Remember, The Titan's Curse belongs to Rick Riordan.

Chapter Text

Amaya stops crying momentarily. She sniffles as she gets to her feet. Amaya, then starts walking down the path towards the memorial stones. Each clan residing in the Kirai Village has a section full of memorial stones. The memorial stones actually act as a huge family tree. Each stone contains names of village members, dating back to the beginnings of the village. All of the stones are placed in a certain order. The names of family members are usually placed together. Usually, the names of children are placed under their parents names. A name is only placed on a stone until an individual dies. This means that many stones have blank spaces next to and under names, leaving places for names to be added accordingly.

Amaya, silently walks down the path into the Yamauchi clan memorial. Each stone is rectangular in shape. Each stone stands six feet high, and is seven feet in length. Each stone is six inches thick. Names are carved on both sides of each stone.

Amaya, reaches a stone. The stones with the names of people dating back hundreds of years are the furthest from the entrance. The stones with more recent deaths are closer to the entrance. Amaya, stands in front of the stone. The names of Yuzuki’s mother and father are carved on the stone. The names of Yuzuki’s paternal grandparents are carved above her father’s name. Yuzuki’s maternal grandparents names are on a stone in the Kirai clan memorial. That’s because Yuzuki’s mother was from the Kirai clan. The names of Yuzuki’s deceased siblings are carved under her parents names. Amaya, lightly runs her fingers over each name. Amaya, closes her eyes. She then opens her eyes and slowly walks away.

Next, Amaya heads to the Kita Clan memorial. Amaya, approaches a stone. The names of many family friends are carved into this stone. Amaya, lightly runs her fingers over the names. She closes her eyes and slowly walks away. Amaya, then walks into the Fujioka clan memorial. Amaya, approaches a stone and lightly fingers the names of family friends. Amaya, closes her eyes again. She walks out of the Fujioka clan memorial. Then, Amaya, enters the Mori Clan memorial. She approaches a stone and lightly fingers the names of deceased family friends. Amaya, closes her eyes and walks away.

Amaya, enters the Ishikawa clan memorial. Amaya, approaches a stone. The names of Takara’s mother and younger brothers are carved into the stone. Amaya, lightly runs her fingers over the names. As Amaya does this, she thinks of Takara and Taki’s surviving brother. Takara’s youngest brother, Takuma, was practically a baby when the attack happened several years ago.

Takuma, will never remember his mother or older brothers, Amaya thinks to herself. It’s so unfair!

Amaya then thinks of Bianca and Nico. Because of being bathed in the river of Lethe, Bianca and Nico will never remember their mother either. Amaya thinks to herself. Amaya sighs and remembers watching that scene through the well, long ago.

Amaya and her friends are gathered around the well. Their cheeks are all stained from the tears that they all shed earlier. The Kirai elders managed to coax the girls back to the well.

The Kirai elders and other members are gathered around the well. Rina, holds her hand over the water.

The image in the water is of Alecto, chanting something in ancient greek. Aiko/Maria’s body is in front of her. Little Bianca and little Nico sit nearby. They are in the underworld.

The clothing that Aiko/Maria was wearing when the hotel exploded, has been removed. Aiko/Maria is now wearing an ornate white dress. Aiko/Maria’s hair has been smoothed out and her body has been cleaned.

Little Bianca and little Nico sit nearby. They stare at the scene, uncomprehendingly.

Alecto, chants some more ancient greek. Alecto, then, picks up a funeral shroud. The funeral shroud is white with gold trim and many symbols. The symbols that are on the shroud include roses, and gold stars, things that Aiko/Maria liked.

Alecto, then gently wraps Aiko/Maria’s body in the shroud. Alecto, picks up Aiko/Maria’s body and places the body on a waiting funeral pyre. Alecto, chants some more ancient greek. Alecto, then, lights the bottom of the the funeral pyre with her hand.

As the funeral pyre slowly begins burning, Alecto turns to the children.

“Don’t worry,” Alecto says to the children. “Neither of you shall remember any of this.”

All of the sudden, Hades, appears. His face is very somber. Alecto, bows to her lord.

“Milord,” Alecto says. “I have given the woman the ancient rites, just as requested.”

“Thank you, Alecto.” Hades says. He looks at the children. “Change of plans. I want to keep an eye on the children for a while. I want you to wash their memories clean in the Lethe, and then take them to a boarding school. They shall stay there until I tell you to put them in the Lotus Hotel. Tell them that they are orphans. Tell them that their parents left a bank trust for them.”

“Yes, milord.” Alecto says. Alecto, picks up the children and walks away. Hades, stays and watches the funeral pyre burn with somber eyes.

Back, in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, everyone whom is gathered the well just watch the funeral pyre burn as well. Amaya, Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki all choke back sobs.

Rina, switches the image in the water. The image in the water is now of Alecto and the children. Alecto and the children are standing near a river in the underworld. Alecto, picks up Bianca, and dunks her into the river for a few seconds. Bianca, then falls asleep. Alecto, takes Bianca out of the river and sets her down on the ground. Nico, watches with wide eyes. Before Nico can protest or try to get away, Alecto grabs him. Alecto, dunks little Nico into the river Lethe. Little Nico falls asleep. Alecto, takes Nico out of the river with one arm and then picks up Bianca with the other arm. In a flash, Alecto and the children disappear.

Everyone gathered around the well just look into the water with sad eyes.

Amaya, stares at the memorial stone. Just like Takuma, Bianca and Nico would never remember just how much their mother loved them. Bianca and Nico would never remember how Hades used to visit and play with them. Fate is just too cruel!

Amaya, just sighs and prepares to exit the Ishikawa clan memorial, when a voice catches her attention.

“Amaya?” The voice says with a questioning tone.

Amaya, turns to see a young man about the same age as her, standing by a memorial stone nearby. The young man wears simple village clothes, and has cerulean blue eyes and short brown hair. Amaya, blinks a few times.

“Daniel.” Amaya says simply.

The young man is Daniel Kingston. Daniel Kingston, was sent to this world through a dimensional rift years ago. Daniel, found the Kirai village, and the village took him in. Daniel is actually a demigod, just like Bianca and Nico. Daniel’s father is Hermes.

Daniel slowly approaches Amaya. “What are you doing here?” Daniel asks.

Amaya, holds her head down. “I needed to clear my head.” Amaya says. Amaya, looks at the memorial stone that Daniel was standing in front of.

“Are you paying respects to Noboro?” Amaya asks.

Daniel, closes his eyes. “Yes.” Daniel says.

Noboro Ishikawa, was Takara and Taki’s cousin. When Daniel arrived at the village years ago, him and Noboro became friends. A year ago, Noboro was killed in a hunting accident. Daniel, comes and pays respects to Noboro at least once a week.

Amaya sighs. “We tried to find young Nico again, but had no luck.” Amaya says.

Daniel nods. Since Daniel is a demigod the Kirai’s let him in on the secret about Luna, Aiko/Maria, and Bianca and Nico.

“I am sorry to hear that.” Daniel says.

“That’s not all.” Amaya says. She closes her eyes. “Korra, sprang a shocker on all of us. Since, my grandmother is dead, Aizen, is now the leader of our village.”

Daniel’s eyes widen. “Oh….wow.” Daniel says. “That is certainly a surprise.”

Amaya, looks down at her feet. “So much change.” Amaya says. “I can’t take so much change at once. That’s why I decided to get away and clear my head.”

Daniel nods. “I understand.”

Amaya, looks towards the Kirai clan memorial. “Well,” Amaya says. “I am going to head to my clan’s memorial.”

“You know what, I will come with you.” Daniel says.

Amaya’s eyes widen. “...Ok…” Amaya says. As she looks Daniel in the eye, she resists the urge to blush.

Amaya, walks out of the Ishikawa clan memorial. Daniel follows close behind her. When Daniel, is not looking, Amaya blushes.

Gosh, Amaya thinks to herself. He is certainly very handsome.

************************

Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki walk quickly towards the village memorial.

“Come on you two!” Takara says to Katara and Yuzuki. Katara and Yuzuki just pant as they walk.

“We are tired!” Yuzuki complains.

“We are almost there.” Takara says. “Don’t give up now.”

Katara and Yuzuki look at one another. They both sigh. The two of them hope that Amaya is at the memorial when they get there. Katara and Yuzuki don’t know if they will be able to run and search for Amaya anymore if she is not.

****************************

Amaya and Daniel walk into the Kirai Clan memorial. Amaya approaches a stone. She places a hand on the stone. Daniel blinks a few times. He looks at the writing on all of the stones around him. He just sighs.

“Even though I have been in this world for a few years, I still can’t read the writing in this world.” Daniel says. “I hate my dyslexia! School was an absolute nightmare for me! The only way I can find the stone with Noboro’s name is because I was there when they carved his name into the stone.”  

Amaya, blinks and sighs. Just the mention of school makes Amaya think of Nico and Bianca. The children had a terrible time at the boarding school that Alecto took them to. Amaya, closes her eyes and lets all the memories come back to her.

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gathered around the well. They all carefully observe the image in the water.

The image in the water is of little Bianca and little Nico. The children are at the boarding school that Hades had Alecto take them to.

Bianca is wiping Nico’s face with a cloth. Little Nico fell during recess and got mud all over his face. All of the sudden a woman wearing fancy clothing approaches the siblings. The woman is frowning.

“Can the two of you tell you me why you didn’t come in when I rang the bell?” The woman asks.

Bianca gasps. “I am so sorry Mrs. Brown!” Bianca says. “Nico, fell and got mud all over his face. I was so busy cleaning him up that I didn’t hear the bell!”

The woman, Mrs. Brown, just glares at the children.

“Not a good enough excuse!” Mrs. Brown snarls. She grabs the children by their arms and begins dragging them inside.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, a lot of people whom are gathered around the well just watch with sad eyes. However, Amaya, Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki are all raging on the inside. How dare that woman treat Aiko/Maria’s children that way!

*************************

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gathered around the well. They are observing the scene before them.

The image in the water is of little Nico in his math class. His classmates laugh as he tries to read words and numbers on the blackboard in front of him. Little Nico tries to read but stumbles over every word and number. The teacher, an old woman frowns.

“Nico di Angelo.” The teacher says with a stern voice. “You missed every single word and number!”

Little Nico holds his head down in shame. A single tear runs down both of his eyes. His classmates continue to laugh.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, everyone gathered around the well just stare at the scene with sadness. Rina, changes the scene. The image in the water is of Bianca. Bianca, is in her class, trying to read words off of a blackboard as well. However, she misses every single word. The teacher frowns.

“Miss, di Angelo,” The teacher says. “We have gone over these words many times! If you would just pay attention, you would get them right!”

Little Bianca, holds her head down.

“Mrs. Greyson, I am trying to read.” Little Bianca says. “The writing just confuses me so much. I don’t know how to explain it.”

The teacher, Mrs. Greyson, just frowns.

“Well, try harder!” Mrs. Greyson shouts.

Many other children in the classroom snicker. Little Bianca, closes her eyes. A few tears roll down her cheeks.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, people gathered around the well just watch with sadness. Amaya, closes her eyes. If only the teachers knew that the children have dyslexia due to being demigods.

Amaya sighs. Daniel, blinks a few times.

“Amaya?” Daniel asks. “Are you ok.”

“I was just thinking about Nico and Bianca’s time at that boarding school.” Amaya says. “The children had such a horrible time there.”

Amaya sighs and begins to tell Daniel all about the children’s time at the boarding school. When Amaya is finished, Daniels eyes are wide.

“Ouch, that is terrible!” Daniel says. “The poor kids.”

Amaya, sighs again. “The children were at that terrible school for two years.” Amaya says. “However, Alecto eventually came and got the children out of the boarding school. Alecto, was disguised as a lawyer of course. Alecto then took them to the Lotus Hotel. The children seemed to really enjoy their time at the hotel.”

Amaya, smiles and begins telling Daniel, of the children’s time at the Lotus Hotel. Amaya, lets all of the memories come back to her.

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gathered around the well. All of them are carefully observing the scene in the water.

The scene in the water is of little Bianca and little Nico. The children are playing with a board game in their hotel suite. Numerous toys are scattered across the room. All of the sudden, little Bianca, gets up from the table.

“I am tired of playing this game.” Little Bianca says. “I am going to take a bubble bath.”

“Suit yourself.” Little Nico says. Little Nico gets up from the table and grabs a toy off of the floor. “I am going to play some more.”

Little Bianca, does not say anything. She simply goes over to her closet and begins to pick out an outfit. When she does, she then goes into the bathroom and picks out a bottle of scented bubble bath from a cabinet. Little Bianca, then goes and grabs a fluffy white towel and sets it down next to the tub. Rina, then shifts the image back to Nico. The little boy laughs and giggles as he plays with his toy.

Amaya, sighs. “At least the children seem to be happy.” Amaya says.

*************************

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gathered around the well. All of them are observing the scene in the water.

The image in the water is of little Bianca and little Nico. The children are looking through a huge toy and game store in the Lotus Hotel. Of course, everything is free for any child in the Hotel, courtesy of the Lotus Eaters.

Little Nico points out a toy pirate ship to little Bianca.

“That looks so cool!” Little Nico says. “I think that I want that.”

A Lotus Eater, disguised as a bellhop, walks over to the children.

“Good choice little guy.” The Lotus Eater says. “That toy is brand new to our collection!”

Little Bianca, then spots a toy bow and arrow. Her eyes widen. She picks it up.

***********************

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are staring at the scene in the well.

The image in the water is of little Bianca and little Nico, eating breakfast in a restaurant style room in the Lotus Hotel. A large TV sits at one end of the table. The children are watching a movie. They quietly eat their breakfast as they do.

Little Nico, has a plate of pancakes topped with fruit and whipped cream. A side of eggs and hash browns sits beside the plate. A cup full of chocolate milk sits beside the plates. Little Bianca, has a plate full of french toast topped with fruit and whipped cream in front of her. A side of sausage and hash browns sits beside the plate. A cup full of orange juice sits beside Bianca’s plates.

***********************

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are watching the scene in the well.

The image in the water is of little Bianca and little Nico sitting in a restaurant style room in the Lotus Hotel. The children are sitting at a table with a tv. The children are eating slices of pizza. The children smile as they eat.

“This pizza is yummy!” Little Nico says.

“Yes, it is!” Little Bianca says.

**************************

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are watching the scene in the well.

The image in the well is of little Nico and little Bianca. The two children have just finished eating dinner. They had spaghetti with meatballs and breadsticks.

A Lotus Eater, disguised as a waiter, walks over to the table.

“Did the two of you enjoy your food?” The Lotus Eater asks.

“Oh, yes!” Little Bianca says. “The food was very delicious.”

“Are the two of you ready for dessert?” The Lotus Eater asks.

“Oh, yes!” Little Nico says. “I want a slice of chocolate cake!”

“I want chocolate cake as well!” Little Bianca says.

“Two slices of chocolate cake coming up then!” The Lotus Eater says. The Lotus Eater walks away.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, everyone gathered around the well, just looks at the scene. Korra sighs.

“At least the children are being fed.” Korra says. “However, they are being fed very unhealthy food. They are also eating dessert every night. If Hades does not get them out soon, the children will grow as big as houses!”

*********************

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are watching the scene in the well. Rina, holds her hand over the water.

The image in the water is of little Bianca and little Nico. The children are playing video games in the lobby. The children laugh and giggle as they do.

“I won again!” Little Nico cries.

“So did I!” Little Bianca cries.

Amaya manages to smile as she recounts the children’s time in the Lotus Hotel to Daniel.

“Wow.” Daniel says. “Compared to the boarding school that they went to, that place must have been paradise.”

Amaya, laughs a little. “I suppose you could say that.” Amaya says. “However, there were moments in which little Nico annoyed or scared Bianca half to death.”

Amaya, then begins telling Daniel about some of those moments. As she does, Amaya, remembers those moments.

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are watching the scene in the well.

The image in the water is of little Bianca and little Nico. The children are playing video games. At least Bianca is. Little Nico stopped playing a few minutes ago and disappeared. At last, Bianca, notices her brother’s absence. Bianca, looks around.

“NICO!” Bianca shouts. “WHERE ARE YOU?”

All of the sudden, little Nico’s voice can be heard.

“BIANCA!” Little Nico cries. “LOOK AT ME!”

Little Bianca, turns and gasps. Little Nico, is standing on top of the bridge with the bungee jumping cords. Little Nico, is wearing a bungee jumping outfit. Little Nico waves to his sister. Little Nico, then jumps off of the bridge.

“NICO!” Bianca screams.

Little Nico descends towards the ground. When, Nico is almost to the ground, the bungee cord stops stretching. Little Nico, then bounces and is sent flying up into the air. Little Nico laughs and giggles.

*************************

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gathered around the well. They carefully observe the scene before them.

The image in the water is of little Bianca. Little Bianca, is walking around the Lotus Hotel, looking for Nico. Little Bianca, huffs to herself, annoyed by the situation.

“Where could he be?” Little Bianca asks herself.

Little Bianca, then reaches a room with an indoor amusement park. Little Bianca, carefully looks at all the rides that she passes, looking for any signs of Nico. All of the sudden, Little Nico’s voice can be heard.

“BIANCA!” Little Nico yells. A laugh soon follows.

Little Bianca, turns and gasps. Little Nico is sitting in a compartment attached to the ferris wheel. The ferris wheel then starts moving. Little Nico’s little compartment starts to ascend into the air. Little Nico laughs.

“BYE, BYE!” Little Nico shouts.

“NICO!” Bianca yells. “COME BACK HERE!”

Amaya, stifles a little laugh as she finishes telling Daniel about that part of the children’s time in the Lotus Hotel. Daniel, bursts out laughing.

“Oh, my!” Daniel says. “Little Nico must have such a handful. Poor Bianca.”

“Yes,” Amaya says. “Little Nico could be a handful sometimes.”

Amaya, looks up at the sky. “The children were in the Lotus Hotel for nearly 70 years.” Amaya says. “However, to them, it felt like only a few weeks. Then, Alecto, came disguised as a lawyer, and got them out.”

Daniel nods. “I remember you telling me about that.” Daniel says.

Amaya sighs. “Then, Alecto, took the children to a military school in Maine called Westover Hall.” Amaya says. “The children were there for a year and a half. It was at that time that monsters began stalking them.”

Amaya, blinks as she remembers one of those instances.

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are carefully watching the scene before them. They are gathered around the well.

The image in the water is of Bianca and Nico. The two of them are walking through an alleyway. All of the sudden three men step out of the shadows. The men quickly corner the siblings. Bianca and Nico’s eyes are wide.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, Rina, gasps.

“I think that those men are monsters!” Rina says. “However, I cannot tell what they are.”

Everyone else gasps. They are looking into the well with anxiety.

Bianca and Nico back away from the men. The men laugh diabolically as they approach the children. However, Bianca, blinks and gets a determined look on her face. She grabs Nico’s arm and looks for an opening. When Bianca, finds a good escape path, she quickly whispers something in Nico’s ear. Nico’s only gives a little nod. Bianca, then pulls Nico along as the two children make a run for it. The men give chase.

“Run….run…..” Amaya whispers to herself as she watches the scene.

Bianca and Nico, eventually reach a busy street. The children quickly blend in with the crowds. The children look back at the alley. The men have disappeared.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, everyone gathered around the well watch with eyes full of relief. Amaya, sighs.

“Oh, thank goodness.” Amaya says to herself.

Amaya, sighs as she finishes telling Daniel about the children’s encounter in the alley.

“Dealing with monsters is part of being a demigod.” Daniel says. Amaya sighs.

“I know.” Amaya says. “However, it was still scary to watch all of those monsters attempt to attack the children.” Amaya, sighs again.

“It was also during the children’s stay at Westover, that Nico, became obsessed with a card game called mythomagic.” Amaya says.

Daniel nods. “I remember you telling me about that.” Daniel says.

Amaya, quietly walks up to a stone. She then remembers when Bianca bought Nico’s first mythomagic cards.  

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gathered around the well. Everyone is carefully observing the scene before them.

The image in the water is of Bianca and Nico. The children are busy walking around a store near Westover Hall. The two of them are on their way to a register after picking out clothes. Nico and Bianca pass by the trading cards. Nico, suddenly becomes interested in one of the card games being displayed. Bianca, notices her brother’s interest in the game.

“Nico?” Bianca asks. Bianca, picks up one of the card packets. She carefully tries to read it.

“M..yth...o….ma...gic?” Bianca asks. “Mythomagic!?”

Bianca, gives Nico a questioning look. Nico, just gives Bianca a pleading look. Bianca sighs.

“Alright.” Bianca says. Bianca, places the pack of cards in the cart. Nico, smiles as he follows Bianca, to the register.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, everyone gathered around the well, just look at one another. They all look questionly at each other. Mythomagic?  

Amaya, sighs. She then begins to tell Daniel about how a satyr finally discovered the siblings at Westover. The satyr, then sent for a group of demigods to help him get the siblings to Camp Half-Blood. However, a manticore, disguised as the vice principal, Dr. Thorn, stalked the siblings.

“The scariest moment had to have been watching Bianca and Nico get dragged away by the Manticore, Dr. Thorn.” Amaya says. “Luckily, the demigods sent to retrieve the children, managed to hold off the manticore, until the hunters of Artemis arrived.”

Amaya sighs as she remembers watching Bianca and Nico being dragged away by Dr. Thorn, the manticore.

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gathered around the well. They all carefully observe the scene before them.

The image in the water is of Bianca and Nico. The children are sitting in the gymnasium bleachers. Today, is the last day of the semester. There is a dance in the gym. However, the di Angelo siblings don’t feel inclined to join in with their classmates. Nico, would rather play with his mythomagic cards. Bianca, just seems to be anxious today. She is wearing a floppy green cap, trying to hide her face. Nico, laughs as he sorts through his card collection. Bianca, quickly scolds her brother, telling him to be quiet.

“Bianca, you are being mean today!” Nico says.

Bianca, looks around nervously. “I am trying not to be mean!” Bianca says. “However….I just feel like something is not right. I don’t want any unneeded attention.”

Nico then gulps. He points to a man standing near the exit. The man’s eyes are fixated upon the siblings. The man then points to the siblings and then gestures for them to come.

“I think that we are in trouble!” Nico says, with a small voice. “It looks like Dr. Thorn wants to see us.”

Bianca’s eyes widen. However, she just sighs.

“Come on.” Bianca says to Nico. “Let’s go see what he wants.”

Bianca and Nico get up and carefully descend the bleachers. The two of them arrive in front of the man, Dr. Thorn. Dr. Thorn, looks coldly down at the siblings.

“Dr. Thorn…,” Bianca says. “Why do you want to see us?”

“Come with me!” Dr. Thorn says with a cold voice. He then grabs Nico and Bianca by the backs of their shirts. This causes Bianca’s cap to fall off. Nico, drops his cards. Dr. Thorn begins pulling the confused siblings out of the gym.

“Dr. Thorn?” Bianca asks, with a very confused voice. “Have my brother and I done something wrong?”

“Keep walking!” Dr. Thorn orders. “Don’t ask anymore questions!”

Bianca and Nico look at one another. They are very frightened and confused.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, everyone who is gathered around the well watch the entire scene with absolute horror. Amaya, starts to hyperventilate.

“No...no...no…,” Amaya whispers to herself. “No...please.”

Amaya, sighs. She closes her eyes.

“It was lucky that the children got saved when they did.” Daniel says. “However, Bianca, ended up joining the hunters of Artemis. Am I right?”

Amaya sighs again. “Yes.” Amaya says. “Bianca, decided to join the Hunters of Artemis.”

Amaya, grits her teeth and slowly starts to remember watching Bianca join the Hunters of Artemis.


(underlined parts are from The Titan’s Curse, by Rick Riordan)

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are carefully observing the scene before them.

The image in the water is of Bianca. She is standing next to Zoë Nightshade, Artemis’s lieutenant. Artemis, has just finished taking to Percy, the son of Poseidon. The fire in the brazier fills the tent with a warm glow.

“And now there is one last decision to make.” Artemis says. She turns to Bianca. “Have you made up your mind, my girl?”

“I’m still thinking about it.” Bianca says in a hesitant voice.

All of the Kirai gathered around the well just narrow their eyes.

“Wait,” Percy says. “Thinking about what?”

“They...they’ve invited me to join the hunt.” Bianca says.

All of the Kirai gathered around the well gasp. They all look at one another. Did they just hear that right?

“What?” Percy asks. “But you can’t! You have to come to Camp Half-Blood so Chiron can train you. It’s the only way you can learn to survive.”

Zoë narrows her eyes. “It is not the only way for a girl.” Zoë says.

Percy looks at Bianca. “Bianca, camp is cool!” Percy says. “It’s got a pegasus stable and a sword-fighting arena and...I mean, what do you get by joining the Hunters?”

“To begin with,” Zoë says. “Immortality.”

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, all of the younger Kirai turn to their elders. Their eyes are wide.

“Are the Hunters of Artemis really immortal?” Takara asks.

Korra nods. “Yes...they are.” Korra says.

“The Hunters of Artemis follow Lady Artemis around.” Atsuko says. “They fight monsters and stay immortal, as long as they keep their vow of virginity, and do not fall in battle.”

“Every hunter has to swear off boys, men, and marriage.” Korra says.

“I was just wondering...are all Hunters of Artemis half-bloods?” Yuzuki asks.

“No…,” Atsuko says. “Any virgin female who worships Lady Artemis may join. All they have to do is pledge themselves to Lady Artemis and then Lady Artemis accepts their pledge.”

“Do you really think that Bianca will really join them?” Amaya asks with wide eyes.

“We shall see.” Rina says.

Everyone whom is gathered around the well turn their attention back to the scene in the water. They all watch as Percy tries to argue with Bianca.

“Bianca, this is crazy.” Percy says. “What about your brother? Nico can’t be a Hunter.”

“Certainly not.” Artemis says. “He will go to Camp. Unfortunately, that’s the best boys can do.”

“Hey!” Percy says with a very offended tone of voice.

Artemis turns back to Bianca. “You can see him from time to time.” Artemis says assuringly to Bianca. “But you will be free of responsibility. He will have the camp counselors to take care of him. And you will have a new family. Us.”

All of the Kirai gathered around the well just watch with narrowed eyes. They all know that camp counselors can’t replace blood family. A bunch of virgin girls and a goddess don’t replace blood family either.

Bianca gets a dreamy look in her eyes. “A new family.” Bianca says dreamily. “Free of responsibility.”

All of the Kirai gathered around the well gasp. Amaya, Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki just watch with wide eyes.

“She’s gonna do it!” Katara cries.

Percy tries to argue with Bianca again. “Bianca, you can’t do this.” Percy says. “It’s nuts.”

Bianca looks at Zoë. “Is it worth it?” Bianca asks.

Zoë nods. “It is.” Zoë says.

“What do I have to do?” Bianca asks.

All of the Kirai gathered around the well hold their breaths. Their eyes are wide.

“Say this,” Zoë says. “I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis.”

Bianca quickly repeats the line. “I...I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis.” Bianca says.

“I turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood, and join the Hunt.” Zoë says.

Bianca repeats the lines. “That’s it?” Bianca asks.

Zoë nods. “If Lady Artemis accepts thy pledge, then it is binding.” Zoë says.

“I accept it.” Artemis says.

The fire in the brazier glows brighter. A silver glow fills the room. Bianca, takes a deep breath. Her eyes are wide.

“I feel...stronger.” Bianca says.

“Welcome, sister.” Zoë says.

“Remember your pledge.” Artemis says. “It is now your life.”

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, all of the Kirai gathered around the well just stand there. The eyes of every Kirai are wide.

“The girl actually did it.” Korra says. “She is now a Hunter of Artemis.”

Amaya, Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki just frown.

“It is a foolish decision if you ask me!” Amaya says.

“Yeah!” Takara says, agreeing with her friend.

“It is also a very selfish decision!” Katara says. “Bianca, has abandoned poor Nico.”

“She is running away from her responsibility as an older sister!” Yuzuki says.

“Girls…” Rina says. “I am afraid that it is Bianca’s decision. There is nothing that we can do about it.”  

Amaya and her friends just look at each other. The four of them start running away from the well.  

“GIRLS!” All of the older Kirai shout.

The four girls do not listen to the elders. They keep running until they reach the meadow by the stream and pond. The four girls sit down and begin sharing their thoughts on the whole situation.

Amaya, closes her eyes. Daniel, narrows his eyes, a little confused.

“Amaya, are you alright?” Daniel asks. Amaya, opens her eyes and sighs.

“I was angry when Bianca joined the Hunters of Artemis.” Amaya says. “Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki were all angry as well. At the time we all thought that it was a foolish decision.”

Daniel, puts his hand on Amaya’s shoulder.

“It was her decision.” Daniel says. “There was nothing that you could have done.”

Amaya, sighs and takes a few steps forward. “I know.” Amaya says. “However, it does not mean that I accept her decision.”

Amaya, sighs. Then, her and Daniel begin discussing the events that lead up to Zoë and Bianca, along with the satyr Grover, and the daughter of Zeus going on the quest to save Artemis.

“All of us were very worried about the prophecy that the oracle delivered.” Amaya says. She closes her eyes and begins to recite the lines of the prophecy.

 (Lines are from The Titan’s curse, by Rick Riordan)

Five shall go west to the goddess in chains,

One shall be lost in the land without rain,

The bane of Olympus shows the trail,

Campers and Hunters combined prevail,

The Titan’s curse must one withstand,

And one shall perish by a parent’s hand.

 

Amaya finishes reciting the prophecy. Daniel nods.

“I remember you telling me about that.” Daniel says. “It is quite foreboding.”

“Yes…,” Amaya says. “After hearing that prophecy, we all knew something very bad was going to happen.”

Amaya sighs. “Zoë, Bianca, the Satyr, and Zeus’s daughter headed out.” Amaya says. “The son of Poseidon, decide to follow. He ran into Nico, whom he caught spying on Zoë and Bianca, before they left. Nico made Poseidon’s son promise to protect Bianca on the quest.”

“It was a promise that he was unable to keep.” Daniel says.

“No…,” Amaya agrees. “He did his best though.”

Amaya sighs again. She slowly begins to remember watching the conversation that Nico had with Poseidon’s son.


(All underlined parts are from The Titan’s Curse, by Rick Riordan)

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers gaze into the well. Everyone is carefully observing the scene before them.

The image in the water is of Nico and Poseidon’s son, Percy. The two of them are standing near the pavillion. The two of them are talking about Percy following the others on the quest.

“The Hunters don’t like boys,” Percy says. “If they find out–.”

“Don’t let them find out.” Nico says. “Follow them invisibly. Keep an eye on my sister! You have to. Please?”

All of the Kirai gathered around the well just watch with solemn eyes. Even though Bianca practically abandoned him, Nico still worries for her safety.

“Nico–.” Percy says.

“You’re planning to go anyway, aren’t you?” Nico asks.

Percy blinks a few times. He then takes a deep breath. “Yeah,” Percy says. “I have to find Annabeth. I have to help, even if they don’t want me to.”

Nico looks Percy in the eye. “I won’t tell on you,” Nico says. “But you have to promise to keep my sister safe.”

“I...that’s a big thing to promise, Nico, on a trip like this.” Percy says. “Besides, she’s got Zoë, Grover, and Thalia–.”

“Promise.” Nico quickly says. His eyes are pleading.

Percy takes a deep breath. “I’ll do my best.” Percy says. “I promise that.”

“Get going then!” Nico says. “Good luck!”

Percy looks towards the big house. “Tell Chiron–.”

“I’ll make something up.” Nico says with a crooked smile. “I’m good at that. Go on!”

Percy quickly takes off running towards Half-Blood hill.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, everyone gathered around the well just watch the scene with solemn eyes. They all have a feeling that the quest is not going to end well.  

Amaya sighs. “Then, Percy, the son of Poseidon caught up with Bianca, and the others.” Amaya says. “Bianca, ended up destroying a bunch of skeletons very easily. The skeletons had been summoned by the Titan Army.”

Daniel nods. “I remember you telling me that.” Daniel says. “It seems that Bianca was using her inherited godly powers without even knowing it.”

Amaya sighs. “During the quest, Bianca and Percy became close.” Amaya says. “Bianca, revealed to Percy, that she joined the Hunters because she wanted to have friends and not have to worry about taking care of Nico. I can understand wanting some freedom, but still...it was incredibly selfish of her to just abandon Nico like that. Then, after some more conversation, everyone realized that Bianca and Nico were in the Lotus Hotel and Casino for over seventy years. To say that Bianca was bewildered and shocked was an understatement. However, I think that she eventually got over it, and decided to focus on the quest.”

Amaya, looks up at the sky. “We also kept an eye on Nico.” Amaya says. “Nico, tried to fit in at camp. However, Nico, found it incredibly difficult.”

Amaya, closes her eyes and slowly remembers Nico’s difficulty at camp.

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are gazing into the well.

The image in the water is of Nico. Nico is in the javelin throwing field. Nico, has been throwing his javelin for nearly ten minutes. However, Nico, can’t seem to hit the target correctly. The Ares Camper in charge of practice, just laughs.

“Man, kid!” The Ares Camper says. “You absolutely suck at throwing javelins.”

The Ares Camper then looks Nico in the eye.

“Maybe you should concentrate more on practice!” The Ares Camper says. “And stop playing with your silly little card game!”

Nico holds his head down.

Amaya sighs. “Poor Nico!” Amaya says. “The only thing that Nico seemed to be good at was sword fighting. However, whenever Nico would try to actually fight another camper for practice, he would always be hesitant. It was almost as if Nico was afraid that he would accidentally hurt the camper. A lot of campers would call Nico a ‘wimp’ or ‘too soft’. All of the other campers also mocked his obsession with mythomagic.”  

Daniel frowns. “Poor kid.” Daniel says.

Amaya closes her eyes. “Then, when Nico was alone one day, Hades came.” Amaya says. “Hades told Nico that he was his father, and then left.”

Amaya, takes a deep breath. “Then right after that….,” Amaya says. “My grandmother shifted the image back to Bianca and the others. That’s when they arrived at the junkyard.”

Amaya, resists the urge to cry. “And then….Bianca got killed.” Amaya says. “Right after that...my grandmother fell ill.

Daniel narrows his eyes. “I remember you telling me that Bianca died in the junkyard.” Daniel says. “However... you never really told me exactly how she died.”

Amaya, holds back a few tears. “It was absolutely terrible to watch.” Amaya says. She slowly begins to tell Daniel about that fateful day.


(Underlined parts are from The Titan’s Curse, by Rick Riordan)

Amaya, her friends, the Kirai elders, and other villagers are carefully gazing into the well.

The scene in the water is of Bianca, Zoë, Thalia, Percy, and Grover the Satyr. The Five of them have just reached the highway after travelling through the junkyard.

“We made it out,” Zoë says with relief. “Thank the gods.”

However, the horrible sound of crushing metal can soon be heard. Ten toes suddenly tilt over in the mountain of garbage. A huge figure soon rises from the pile of garbage. The figure is a giant bronze robot wearing greek battle armor. The giant’s face is deformed.

Zoë gasps. “Talos!” Zoë says.

Back in Aiko/Maria’s birth world, all of the Kirai gathered around the well gasp. They know all about Hephaestus’s creations and how dangerous they can be.

“Who—who’s Talos?” Percy quickly asks.

“One of Hephaestus’s creations,” Thalia says. “But that can’t be the original. It’s too small. A prototype maybe. A defective model.”

All of the Kirai gathered around the well gasp again. Their eyes are filled with horror. A defective model of Talos!? Oh, the group is in big trouble now!

The metal giant, Talos, pulls a giant sword out of a metal belt. The sound of screeching metal makes all of the Kirai want to cover their ears.

“Somebody must have stolen something from the junkyard.” Korra says.

“I think you are right.” Seiji says. “But who?”

All of the Kirai gathered around the well just narrow their eyes.

“Someone took something,” Zoë says. “Who took something?”

Zoë gives Percy an accusing look. Percy just shakes his head.

“I’m a lot of things, but I’m not a thief.” Percy says.

Amaya, soon notices that Bianca has a guilty look on her face. Amaya’s eyes widen.

“Bianca has such a guilty look on her face.” Amaya says. “She must have taken something.”

The giant steps closer to the group.

“Run!” Grover says with a yelp. The group runs but it is hopeless. The giant is too fast. Thalia, runs towards the highway with the giant following her. Zoë, tries to shoot the giant with arrows, only to have the arrows bounce right back off of the giant.

“Not good.” Atsuko mutters.

Grover, brays and starts climbing up a pile of junk. Percy and Bianca quickly get behind a broken chariot. Percy looks at Bianca desperately. He then looks at her bow.

“You took something.” Percy says. “That bow.”

“No!” Bianca says with a quiver in her voice.

All of the Kirai gathered around the well just look at one another.

“I swear that I saw Bianca put the bow down!” Amaya says. “She could not have taken the bow.”

“But she did take something!” Aizen says.

“Yes, but what?” Someone else asks.

“Give it back!” Percy says to Bianca. “Throw it down!”

“I...I didn’t take the bow!” Bianca says. “Besides, it’s too late.”

“What did you take?” Percy asks.

However, before Bianca can reply, the giant finds the pair. Talos, looms menacingly over the children.

“Move!” Percy yells.

Bianca and Percy get out the way just in time. The giant’s foot crushes the very spot where Bianca and Percy were hiding.

All of the Kirai just breath sighs of relief. That sure was close!

“Hey, Talos!” Grover yells, trying to distract the giant from Percy and Bianca. However, the giant just keeps looking down at Percy and Bianca.

Grover, then begins to play his pipes. The downed power lines in the highway lift up and start to dance in the air. A few of the power lines wrap around Talos’s leg, sending jolts of electricity into the giant. Talos, whirls around and begins creaking. Sparks fly around the giant.

All of the Kirai manage to smile. How clever of Grover! He managed to buy Percy and Bianca some time.

Percy, gets ready to run. “Come on!” Percy says to Bianca.

Bianca, just stands, frozen in her spot. Then, she slowly reaches into her pocket and takes out a small metallic figurine. All of the Kirai gasp, when they realize what it is. It is a mythomagic statue. It is the statue of Hades!

“It...it was for Nico.” Bianca says. “It was the only statue he didn’t have.”

“How can you think of Mythomagic at a time like this?” Percy asks.

Bianca, looks down. Her eyes are starting to fill with tears.

“Throw it down.” Percy quickly says. “Maybe the giant will leave us alone.”

Bianca, reluctantly lets go of the statue. The statue falls to the ground. However, this does nothing to stop the giants attack. Talos, continues to attack Grover. Grover, ends up getting buried under an avalanche of junk.

“No!” Thalia shouts. She raise her spear and sends a bolt of lightning into one of Talos’s knees. Talos, collapses. However, Talos, gets right back up.

All of the Kirai gathered around the well watch with wide eyes. Amaya, grits her teeth.

“Oh, Bianca has really screwed up now!” Amaya says. “She just just put herself and the others in terrible danger.”

“Yes, she has.” Korra says agreeing with Amaya. “However, you have to admit that Bianca’s decision, even though it was stupid, was an act of love. She didn’t take anything for herself, when she had the opportunity. She stole that statue for Nico! It shows how much she really cares for him.”

“But what good did she think that stealing the statue would do?” Takara asks. “Did she really think that would make up for her joining the Hunters of Artemis?”

Korra just shrugs. “I am not sure.” Korra says. “Unfortunately, we cannot read the minds of those we watch.”

Everyone looks at Rina, surprised that she hasn’t said anything at all about this situation. Rina’s eyes are tired looking but she maintains the jutsu. All of the sudden, Seiji, narrows his eyes at the image in the water.

“The giant’s foot...I think that I see something on the bottom of the giant’s foot.” Seiji quickly says. “It looks like a hole with writing around it!”

Everyone else’s eyes widen. Korra begins focusing on the giant’s foot. She gasps.

“Seiji is right!” Korra says. “There is a hole at the bottom of the giant’s foot.”

The giant raises it’s foot again. Now everyone can see the hole and writing. The writing reads: FOR MAINTENANCE ONLY . Everyone gasps. Maintenance!? If the giant has to be maintenanced, then that means you can control the giant from the inside!

Everyone soon notices that Percy is looking at the giants foot as well. He must see the hole as well. Percy turns to Bianca.

“Crazy-idea time.” Percy says.

Bianca’s eyes widen. “Anything.”

Percy, quickly tells Bianca of the hole in Talos’s foot.

“There must be a way to control the thing.” Percy says. “Switches or something. I’m going to get inside.”

Bianca’s eyes widen even more. “How?” Bianca asks. “You’ll have to stand under it’s foot! You’ll be crushed.”

“Distract it,” Percy quickly says. “I’ll just have to time it right.”

Bianca, tightens her jaw. “No.” Bianca says. “I’ll go.”

All of the Kirai gasp. Is Bianca serious?

Percy’s eyes are wide. “You can’t,” Percy says. “You’re new at this! You’ll die.”

“It’s my fault the monster came after us.” Bianca says. It’s my responsibility. Here.” Bianca quickly picks up the little gold statue of Hades. She presses it into Percy’s hand.

“If anything happens, give that to Nico.” Bianca says. “Tell him...tell him I’m sorry.”

All of the Kirai gathered around the well gasp with absolute horror.

“Bianca, no!” Percy yells.

Bianca, quickly takes off running towards the giants left foot. Bianca, gets close. She carefully balances herself on a piece of metal by the giants foot.

“What are you doing?” Zoë asks.

“Get it to raise it’s foot!” Bianca yells.

Zoë shoots an arrow at the giants face. The arrow goes into the giants nose.

“Hey, Junk Boy!” Percy yells. “Down here.” Percy stabs the giants left big toe. The giant looks down and raise it’s foot. Bianca acts quickly. As quick as lightning, she crawls inside the hole.

There is a line of handle bars that lead up the leg. However, the handle bars are placed in a circular pattern over inside of the leg. The handle bars look like a circular staircase.

Bianca, gasps. However, she gets a determined look on her face. Bianca, begins climbing up the leg using the handle bars to grab onto. She uses reflexes that she has never used before.

All of the Kirai look up momentarily. Their eyes are wide.

“Look at Bianca, move!” Yuzuki says. “She has never moved like that before.”

Amaya, narrows her eyes. It looks as if Bianca is tapping into her shinobi heritage. Bianca is moving like a ninja!

Bianca, continues to climb up the giants leg. Sometimes, the movement of the giant’s leg nearly cause Bianca to lose her grip on the handle bars. However, Bianca, keeps climbing up the leg like there is no tomorrow. Every once in a while, Bianca’s eyes widen in horror as she hears the others yell outside. All of the sudden, the handle bar that Bianca, is holding onto creaks and starts to come loose. Bianca, acts quickly. She flings her body over to the side and quickly grabs onto another bar. All of the Kirai gasp.

“Did you see what Bianca just did?!” Katara asks.

“Yeah!” Takara says.

Bianca, finally reaches the giants torso. Bianca, keeps on climbing until she reaches the giants head. Wires and many parts are scattered around the giant’s head. All of the sudden, Percy and Thalia shout from outside.

“Grover!” Percy and Thalia yell.

Bianca’s eyes widen. She then closes her eyes for a few seconds. Bianca opens her eyes. Bianca’s eyes are no longer black. Bianca’s eyes glow red with one tomoe sharingan. All of the Kirai gasp. Everyone’s eyes are wide.

“Sh….shar...sharingan!” Korra says.

Bianca, with her newly activated sharingan, gets down to business. She quickly pulls on a lever.

The image shifts to the others, whom are outside. Talos, cocks his head. Talos, begins moving his arms and legs wildly, like he is dancing. Talos, then makes one of his hands into a fist and punches himself.

“Go, Bianca!” Percy yells.

Zoë looks at Percy, horrified. “She is inside?” Zoë asks.

Talos, continues to move around wildly. The giant is staggering around. Percy and Thalia quickly drag Grover over to the highway. Zoë is already standing in the highway.

“How will Bianca get out?” Zoë asks.

The giant punches itself again. The giant begins to stagger towards the downed power lines.

“Look out.” Percy yells.

However, it is too late. The giant steps on the power lines. Electricity, shoots up the giants leg. The giant shudders and staggers back.

“BIANCA!” All of the Kirai gathered around the well yell.

The image in the water shifts back to Bianca inside the giant. Bianca, is hyperventilating, as if she is trying to catch her breath. It looks as if she is stunned and dazed by the shock of the electricity. Sparks fly from many of the electrical cords. All of the sudden a creaking sound can be heard. Bianca’s eyes widen. Everything inside the giant is going haywire! Then, pieces start to fall all around Bianca.

The image shifts back to outside. Talos, is running away. Pieces are falling off of the giant, one by one. Talos, is falling apart!

“Wait!” Zoë shouts.

The image in the water shifts back to Bianca. Bianca closes her eyes as the head starts to move. All of the machinery inside the head falls down on top of Bianca. The image goes black.

“NO!” Amaya, Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki scream. Many others gasp with absolute horror.

The image suddenly comes back into focus. Bianca’s figure appears as a ghostly mist. She is in the underworld.

Amaya, Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki all gasp. Many others do as well.

The image in the water shifts back to Zoë, Percy, Thalia, and Grover. The giant has now completely fallen apart. Bianca’s friends search the wreckage, screaming Bianca’s name as they do.

“Bianca!” Percy yells frantically.

All of the Kirai gathered around the well watch with sad eyes. They know the search is futile. Bianca is gone...forever.

Amaya, Takara, Katara, and Yuzuki watch the scene with silent tears. Amaya, sniffles as tears run down her cheeks.

“...Bianca…,” Amaya whispers.

Amaya, opens her eyes as she finishes telling Daniel about Bianca’s death. Silent tears run down Amaya’s cheeks. Daniel’s eyes are wide.

“Wow…,” Daniel says. “Bianca activated her sharingan...and then died a hero.”

Amaya sniffles. “Yes…” Amaya says. Amaya, then looks up at the sky.

“The prophecy.” Amaya says. “One shall be lost in the land without rain. That line was about Bianca. Oh, fate is just so cruel!”

Amaya, sniffles a little bit.

“Then, after that,” Amaya says. “We all realized that my grandmother was ill. We all took her back home.”

“Then she died a couple of days later.” Daniel says sadly.

Amaya sniffles again. “Yes.” Amaya says. “I now think that her using the interdimensional viewing jutsu so much took a toll on her. She wasn’t young...and the interdimensional viewing jutsu uses a great deal of chakra.”

Amaya, sniffles and looks at the sky. “However…,” Amaya says. “She was absolutely dedicated to her work and the Kirai clan. Even though she was old and tired...she used the Kirai clan jutsu’s to the best of her ability. She never complained once.”

Daniel approaches Amaya. He puts a hand on her shoulder. “I held a lot of respect for your grandmother.” Daniel says. “Her death hurt me just as much as it hurt everyone else in this village. She accepted me into the village. If it wasn’t for her, I don’t know what I would have done. The moment I met her, I knew that she was someone that I could trust and look to for guidance. I knew that she was a strong woman who would do anything for the people she cared about.”

Amaya, sniffles. “Thank you,” Amaya says. “For speaking so highly of my grandmother.”

Amaya sighs. “After my grandmother’s funeral, we all gathered around the well again.” Amaya says. “We wanted to check on Nico. However, we soon realized that he had been sucked through a dimensional rift and sent here. We all panicked of course. Now...here we are trying to find him with no luck so far. Oh, my clan and village are so unlucky!”

Amaya, then turns toward a stone. The names of her grandmother, father, mother, and younger brother are carved into the stone. The name of Amaya’s grandfather, is carved next to Rina’s name. Amaya, lightly fingers all of the names. Amaya, then lightly fingers the names of her uncle, Hajime and his family. People that Amaya never got to know. Amaya, then fingers the names of her other aunts and uncles and deceased cousins. Amaya, closes her eyes and walks over to the next stone.

Amaya silently stares at the stone. She quietly runs her fingers over a name. The name reads:

 Aiko Kirai

Amaya, slowly closes her eyes as she thinks of Luna’s grandmother. Amaya, looks to the left of the name. The name next to Luna’s grandmother’s name is the name of Luna’s grandfather. Luna’s grandfather, died before Luna was born. Amaya, then moves her fingers below the two names. The writing below the two names reads:

 Toshiko Kirai

Amaya, closes her eyes. She gently touches the name with her fingers. She thinks of Luna’s mother. The name next to Toshiko is that of Luna’s father. The name reads:

 Takeo Kirai

Amaya, sniffles as she gently touches the name. The name below Takeo and Toshiko’s names reads:

 Luna Kirai

Amaya, sniffles as more silent tears run down her face. She always tears up like this when she reads Luna’s name on the stone. The writing below Luna’s name is actually two names, one of them being written in a foreign language. The two names are connected by a dash. The writing reads:

 Aiko Kirai—Maria di Angelo

Amaya, blinks as more tears run down her cheeks. Since, the elders of the Kirai clan know how to write languages from other worlds, they decided it would only be right to add the name that Luna’s daughter went by.

Amaya, sniffles even more. There is a name now written below Aiko/Maria’s name. The name reads:

 Bianca di Angelo

Amaya, collapses to the ground. She begins to sob. Even though Bianca wasn’t born in this world she still had Kirai blood. However, just seeing her name carved on the stone is too hard sometimes.

First Luna…, Amaya thinks to herself. Then Aiko. Now Bianca. Oh fate is just too cruel!

Daniel slowly approaches Amaya. Daniel kneels down next to Amaya and tries to comfort her. However, Daniel soon notices something strange on the stone. On one end of the stone, tall grass covers part of the stone. Through the grass, Daniel can see what appears to be writing on the stone. The grass is obscuring the writing.

“Amaya…,” Daniel says. “Do you see that behind the grass? It appears to be writing.”

Amaya stops crying. She narrows her eyes. She carefully moves the grass. There is indeed writing hidden behind the grass. Amaya gasps.

“It...it is a name.” Amaya says. The name is actually directly across from Luna’s name, underneath Toshiko and Takeo’s names. The name reads:

 Hikaru Kirai

 Amaya just stares at the name. Only one thought runs through her head at this point.

Who is Hikaru? Amaya thinks to herself.