Actions

Work Header

A Twist in Fate: Nico's Story

Chapter 16: Training Begins!

Notes:

Last Chapter: Another member of the Kirai Clan told Nico's secret to someone. This time, it was Orochimaru and Sasuke! Sasuke, demanded that Kabuto catch and bring Nico to him! What will happen now?

Chapter Text

Nico awakens to Kiseki shaking his shoulder.  

“It is time for you to begin your training!” Kiseki says.

Nico nods. He yawns and slowly sits up. He then stretches. He blinks a few times. The sun is starting to rise over the horizon.

Kiseki wasn’t kidding when he said ‘bright and early’! Nico thinks to himself. He yawns again. He blinks a few times to get rid of the last bit of sleepiness in his eyes.

“So what are you gonna teach me first?” Nico asks.

“First I am going to show you how to fish.” Kiseki says. “Then I will show you how to control your chakra.”

Nico nods. I hope that chakra control is not very difficult , Nico thinks to himself. I really need to learn how to use my powers and learn jutsu! I need to learn fast!

Kiseki looks over the horizon. “There should be a small lake over the horizon.” Kiseki says. “Follow me!”

Nico silently follows Kiseki.

************************************

Kiseki and Nico arrive at a small lake. A small river empties into the lake from the right side of the forest. Kiseki turns to Nico.

“Look closely at the water and tell me what you see.” Kiseki says.

Nico raises a brow. I wonder why Kiseki wants me to look at the water, Nico thinks to himself. How is this important for catching fish?

However, Nico does as Kiseki says and looks down at the water. Nico sees fish swimming around in the water.

Nico looks up at Kiseki. “I see fish swimming around.” Nico says.

“Right!” Kiseki says. “You never mentioned seeing fish when you would stop at streams to get a drink! Do you want to know why?”

Nico blinks a few times. That is right! Nico thinks. I never saw a single fish!

“Sure!” Nico says.

Kiseki looks down at the water. “You see,” Kiseki says. “Fish can’t properly swim in streams that are low. They need the water to be at a certain level in order to swim!”

Nico then thinks of something. The water in the streams that I drank from were not that deep , Nico thinks. The water must not have been deep enough for fish to swim.

“The streams that I drank from were not very deep!” Nico says. “That means fish could not swim in them!”

Kiseki nods.

Nico looks back down at the water for a minute. He then looks back up at Kiseki. “So I need to find rivers and streams that are deep in order to find fish?” Nico asks.

“That is correct!” Kiseki says.

Nico’s stomach rumbles. He frowns. That still doesn’t explain how I am supposed to catch a fish!

“Ok, I know how to find fish now, but how do I catch one?” Nico asks.

“There are many ways to catch fish!” Kiseki says. “However, when you are out in the wilderness many of those options are not available to you!”

Kiseki puts his hand over the water. “If you are patient and swift enough then you can catch fish by hand!” Kiseki says.

Kiseki eyes the fish swimming in the water carefully. Then as swift as lightning he thrusts his hand in the water and grabs a fish. Kiseki carefully lifts the struggling fish out of the water and throws it on the bank.

Nico’s eyes are wide with amazement. That was really fast! Nico thinks.

Kiseki turns to Nico. “Your turn!” Kiseki says.

Nico turns back to the water. Nico carefully lifts his hand over the water. He then carefully eyes a fish. However, the fish just looks up at Nico. The fish then squirts water at Nico’s face. Nico manages to close his eyes just in time. Nico opens his eyes and looks at his reflection in the water. His face is wet.

Kiseki laughs lowly beside Nico. “Well,” Kiseki says. “That was unexpected!”

Nico narrows his eyes. He looks at the fish. The fish blows bubbles in the water and swishes its tail. It’s like the fish is mocking him! Nico’s eyes are alight with determination.

I’m not gonna let a fish make me look like a fool! Nico thinks to himself. He then thrusts his hand into the water. He grabs the fish and tosses it on the bank. When he looks at Kiseki, Kiseki’s eyes are wide.

“You got one on your first try!” Kiseki says. “You were even faster than me!”

Nico narrows his eyes. “I was?” Nico asks.

Kiseki nods. “You sure were fast!” Kiseki says. Kiseki then narrows his eyes as if he is thinking about something. He then turns to Nico.

“I have heard that Itachi Uchiha is supposedly inhumanely fast.” Kiseki says. “He is supposedly so fast he perform hand signs for a jutsu in the blink of an eye!”

Nico’s eyes widen. Jarou had told Nico about hand signs and how they are important for performing most jutsu’s. “Wow!” Nico says. “My grandfather is really supposed to be that fast?”

Kiseki nods. “It looks as though you have inherited his speed!” Kiseki says.

Nico looks down. Another way that I am like my grandfather! Nico thinks to himself.

Kiseki quickly smiles. “You inherited a good trait from your grandfather!” Kiseki says. “Extreme speed can serve a person well, especially out in the wilderness. You caught a fish on your first try. That is something to be proud of!”

Nico’s eyes widen. Kiseki is right. Nico thinks to himself. I need to catch fish to survive. Inheriting my grandfather’s speed is beneficial to me. It will help me survive.  

Kiseki looks back at the fish. Both of the fish are flopping around on the bank. Kiseki quickly grabs a rock and strikes each fish on the head once. Both of the fish stop moving. Kiseki turns to Nico.

“We better hurry and make a fire to cook these fish before they turn rancid.” Kiseki says.

Nico nods. He quickly stands up. He then follows Kiseki into the forest.

*****************************

Nico and Kiseki finish off their fish just as the fire is starting to go out.

That fish sure was good! Nico thinks.

Kiseki cups his hands together and gets some water from the lake. He pours it over the fire. The fire hisses and sends out a large cloud of steam. Kiseki looks over to Nico.

“We need to find a quiet place for the first stage of your training.” Kiseki says. “Learning chakra control requires concentration.” Kiseki walks to the tree line at the edge of the forest.

Nico quickly walks up to join Kiseki. The two of them then quietly walk through the forest.

************************************

Kiseki and Nico arrive at a small meadow that sits on the edge of a rock wall. Kiseki stops and looks around.

“This place will do!” Kiseki says. He turns to Nico.

“The first step in chakra control is to feel how your chakra flows throughout your body.” Kiseki says. “Chakra flows through your body like blood flows through your circulatory system.”

Kiseki then makes a hand sign. “Find a comfortable spot and sit down.” Kiseki says.

Nico does as Kiseki says. He sits in front of the rock wall.

“Now make this hand sign and close your eyes.” Kiseki says. “Sit like you are meditating.”

Nico makes the hand sign and closes his eyes.

“Now…” Kiseki says. “Visualize your chakra flowing through your body. Focus entirely on that! Now, this will take time and practice so be patient!”

Alright, Nico thinks. Visualize my chakra flowing through my body.  

Nico sits very still in his position. He breathes slowly focusing entirely on visualizing his chakra.

Kiseki sits down further away. He looks around, looking for any signs of danger. Seeing no danger, Kiseki watches Nico focus and control his chakra. Kiseki takes a quick glance at the sky. The sun is in it’s ten O’clock position.

At noon I shall show the boy how to forage, Kiseki thinks. Afterwards, I shall show the boy how to hunt.

Kiseki continues to watch Nico control his chakra.

******************************

The sun is in it’s noon position when Kiseki calls out to Nico.

“You can stop now, Nico!” Kiseki says. “It’s time that I showed you how to forage!”

Nico opens his eyes. He then stands up.

“What are we gonna forage for?” Nico asks.

“Edible plants and fruit.” Kiseki says.

Nico nods. He silently follows Kiseki into the forest.

After a few minutes of walking Nico and Kiseki reach a berry bush. The berries look like blueberries. Kiseki examines the leaves. He even runs his fingers over a leaf. Kiseki then grabs a berry and pops it in his mouth. After slowly chewing the berry he swallows and nods, satisfied.

“These berries are edible!” Kiseki says. “Dig in!” Kiseki then starts to carefully pick the berries off of the bush.

“How do you know that they are edible?” Nico asks.

Kiseki takes one of the leaves in his hand. “Most edible berries will have rounded leaves.” Kiseki says. “The leaves will also be smooth to the touch. Poisonous berries will usually have pointed leaves and the leaves will have a fuzzy feel to them.”

Kiseki then looks to the berries in his hand. “Poisonous berries will also be bitter.” Kiseki says. “Edible berries will be sweet.”

Nico quickly picks a berry and pops it in his mouth. He chews slowly. His eyes widen.

Wow, this berry is sweet! Nico thinks to himself. He quickly grabs more berries and quickly devours them.

“Another thing that you should do is fill up on anything edible that you can find when you do come across it.” Kiseki says, as he eats more berries. “When you are out in the wilderness, you will have days where you can’t find anything edible!”

Nico nods. I suppose that Kiseki is right, Nico thinks. I may have days where I can’t find anything to eat! I should probably fill up on whatever I am able to find.

Nico eats another handful of berries. Before he knows it all of the berries on the bush are gone!

Kiseki sighs. “Ok, we have eaten all of the berries off of the bush!” Kiseki says. “We now have to look around and find other edible plants!”

Nico nods in agreement. He then follows Kiseki through the forest.

****************************

The sun is in it’s two O’clock position when Nico and Kiseki stop at a stream to get a drink of water. Kiseki looks up at the sky. He then looks at Nico.

“Once we are done getting a drink, I shall show you how to hunt!” Kiseki says.

Nico only nods. He stoops down and scoops up some water with his hands. He gulps the water down. He scoops up more water. He gulps down the second handful just as fast. Man, I was really thirsty! Nico thinks.

Kiseki then motions for Nico to follow him. As the two of them walk through the forest, Nico thinks back to his foraging lesson.

I can’t believe at how many wild plants are edible! Nico thinks to himself. I can’t believe that some flowers are edible either. Who would have thought that flowers could be edible?

Nico then looks down. However…, Nico thinks. That means I have more food options than I previously believed.

Kiseki suddenly stops walking. Nico stops as well. Kiseki then points to a flock of large birds pecking at the ground. The birds remind Nico of grouse.

Kiseki motions for Nico to be very still and quiet. Kiseki quickly grabs something out of his pack. It looks like a small thin dart, carved out of wood. Kiseki points the sharp end towards a bird and swiftly throws it. The wooden dart hits the bird in the neck. The bird lets out a shriek and falls to the ground, dead. The other birds fly away. Kiseki goes over and picks up the dead bird.

Nico’s eyes are wide with amazement. Kiseki didn’t even miss! Nico thinks. Incredible!

Kiseki turns to Nico. “We only need one bird!” Kiseki says. “Hunting like this is usually a hit or miss thing!”

“How did you make that thing?” Nico asks. He points to the little wooden dart as Kiseki pulls it out of the birds neck.

“I made it by taking a thick tree branch and sharpening it with a stone!” Kiseki says. “I will show you how to make one while the bird roasts.”

Nico nods. He quickly assists Kiseki in gathering firewood.

****************************

Nico and Kiseki sit quietly by the fire. The smell of the roasting bird makes Nico’s mouth water. However, Nico pays close attention to what Kiseki is showing him. Kiseki is currently using a stone to smooth and sharpen a piece wood from a small tree branch. He then hands it to Nico.

“Now,” Kiseki says. “You try it!”

Nico nods and starts to carefully run the stone over the wood.

This is easy! Nico thinks. I just hope that throwing it won’t be as difficult!

Nico starts to sharpen an end of the piece of wood. Once it looks sharp enough Nico hands it back to Kiseki. Kiseki looks at it. He then nods, satisfied.

“Good work!” Kiseki says. “I am sure that you will have no problem hunting!”

“Is there anything special that I have to do when I throw it?” Nico asks.

“You have to make sure that you throw it forcefully enough!” Kiseki says. “You also have to be quick!”

Kiseki then looks at the roasting bird. “I think that the bird is ready to eat.” Kiseki says.

Kiseki grabs a fork from his pack and pokes the roasting bird. Kiseki shakes his head.

“Perhaps another few minutes or so!” Kiseki says. He sets the fork on a cloth.

“Kiseki, are there other ways to hunt besides using that?” Nico asks, as he points to the wooden dart. “I mean, what if I can’t find wood to make one?”

Kiseki raise an eyebrow. “Well,” Kiseki says. “You could always try to chase and grab an animal! You would have to be incredibly fast to do that!”

Kiseki then smiles. “However, I think that with your speed, you would be able to pull it off!”

Kiseki then looks at the roasting bird again. He grabs the fork and pokes the bird. He then nods satisfied.

“It’s done!” Kiseki says. He lays the fork back on the cloth. “Now we have to wait for it to cool down some!”

Kiseki grabs a plate from his pack and sets the cooked bird on it.

Nico’s mouth waters with anticipation. His stomach rumbles. I can’t wait! Nico thinks.

**********************************

The sun is in it’s four O’clock position when Nico and Kiseki finish off the roasted bird. Nico is full and satisfied.

That was delicious! Nico thinks to himself.

Kiseki looks at the sky. He then looks at Nico. “It looks like we still have some time left before the sun sets!” Kiseki says. “How about a quick round of exercise!”

“Exercise?” Nico asks. “What kind of exercise?”

“Basic running and stretching!” Kiseki says. “Back at my village, the teachers in the academy had the other students and I do physical exercises everyday. Physical exercise builds up strength and endurance, which is very important for a ninja. Running builds up speed and agility as well.”

“I suppose that makes sense!” Nico says.

“Well, then let’s get started.” Kiseki says. He looks over to a large clearing.

“Stretch for a few minutes.” Kiseki says. He points to the sky. “Run laps across the clearing until the sun is in that position. Then you can work on chakra control some more until it’s dark.”

“Alright!” Nico says. “Sounds easy enough!”

Nico begins stretching his limbs. After a few minutes of doing that Nico takes off across the clearing. Nico is running across the clearing as quick as lightning!

Kiseki’s eyes are wide. Wow! Kiseki thinks to himself. Not only is Nico swift with his hands he is also a fast runner!

Kiseki then smiles to himself. Maybe Nico will advance faster than I thought! Kiseki thinks.

*************************************

The sun is about to set over the horizon. Kiseki tells Nico to stop running.

“Alright, time to stop running now!” Kiseki yells.

Nico stops running. He breathes heavily and sweat runs down his face.

I am so tired! Nico thinks. Running laps sure is hard work! However, I must work on my endurance! I must get stronger!

Nico slowly walks over to the stream beside his and Kiseki’s campsite. Nico gets a quick drink. He then looks at Kiseki. Kiseki is grinning.

“You are not only quick with your hands, but you are also fast on your feet!” Kiseki says. “You were faster than lightning!”

Nico raises an eyebrow. “I was?” Nico asks.

Kiseki nods. “You ran really fast!” Kiseki says. He is grinning. “I have seen boys your age run races with each other. Trust me, I have seen boys your age run really fast. However, I am sure that if you ever ran a race with them, you would leave them all in the dust!”

Nico’s eyes widen. “Really?” Nico asks. “I am truly that fast!?”

Kiseki nods. “Yes!” Kiseki says. “You are really fast!”

Nico closes his eyes. I sure hope that my speed serves me well in the future. Nico thinks to himself. Especially if I have another run in with the Akatsuki!

Kiseki looks at the sky. “Alright, it’s time to work on your chakra control some more.” Kiseki says.

Nico nods and sits down in front of the fire. He makes the hand sign that he made earlier during his chakra control lesson and closes his eyes. He visualizes his chakra flowing throughout his body.

Kiseki watches Nico control his chakra. I can already sense the boy’s chakra getting stronger! Kiseki thinks to himself. The boy is progressing really fast!

*********************************

Jarou looks at the image of Nico controlling his chakra in the pool of water. Jarou lets out a sigh.

Nico seems to be progressing with his training much faster than I anticipated. Jarou thinks to himself. I just hope he will be ready for the challenges ahead!

Jarou sighs again. It is great that Nico has inherited his grandfather’s speed!. Jarou thinks. He is going to need it!

Jarou keeps looking at the image in the water.

**********************************

The stars shine brightly in the night sky. The moon glows brightly alongside the stars. Kiseki looks over at Nico. Nico is still sitting with his eyes closed, trying to control his chakra.

“Alright!” Kiseki says. “It’s time to go to sleep now. It’s dark!”

Nico opens his eyes. Nico stretches his limbs for a bit before standing up. He walks over to the stream to get a drink. After quenching his thirst, Nico lets out a loud yawn. Nico’s eyes droop a little as he walks back to the campsite. He sits down in front of the fire. After a few seconds he lays down and lets out another yawn. Within minutes Nico is fast asleep.

Kid must be exhausted! Kiseki thinks. He did a lot today! He now needs a good night’s sleep. Tomorrow will be another bright and early day.

After a few minutes Kiseki goes over and lays close to Nico. Kiseki looks at his and Nico’s surroundings, checking for any danger before going to sleep. Seeing no danger, Kiseki just blinks a few times and lays his head down. Within minutes he is in a light sleep.

*********************************

Jarou watches Kiseki and Nico sleep. Jarou sighs.

Nico shall have another long day ahead of him tomorrow…, Jarou thinks to himself. I hope that he sleeps well.

Jarou closes his eyes. When he opens them he is alarmed to see a shimmering figure standing close to Nico and Kiseki!

What in the world!? Jarou thinks. What is that? Who is that? He looks closely at the shimmering figure. He waves his hand over the pool of water, trying to zoom the image in, so that he can get a closer look. A thought soon crosses Jarou’s mind.

A spirit! Jarou thinks. What is a spirit doing watching Nico and Kiseki sleep?

Jarou blinks a few times. An idea suddenly comes to mind. Maybe it’s Luna! Jarou thinks. Maybe Luna has come from the Pure Land to watch over Nico!

Jarou zooms the image in more. However, Jarou is surprised to see that the shimmering figure does not look like Luna at all! In fact, the shimmering figure wears ninja attire!

A ninja! Jarou thinks. He zooms the image in closer. Jarou soon notices that the shimmering figure looks like a man. However, Jarou does not recognize the man as anyone he knows of. However, Jarou does see something familiar on the man’s clothing. It is a clan crest. It is a fan. It’s the clan crest of the Uchiha Clan!

Jarou gasps. The spirit of an Uchiha! Jarou thinks. The Uchiha’s in the afterlife must have answered my plea to watch over Nico!

Jarou takes a deep breath. He closes his eyes for a minute. However, when he opens them the Uchiha spirit has disappeared from the image in the water.

Jarou frowns. Well, the Uchiha spirit decided not to stick around very long! Jarou thinks. Then, Jarou notices that Kiseki is awake. Kiseki is staring wide eyed at the spot where the Uchiha spirit was just moments ago.

Kiseki must have seen the spirit as well! Jarou thinks.

************************

Kiseki’s eyes slowly flicker open. He blinks a few times, adjusting his eyes to the darkness.

Such a strange feeling…., Kiseki thinks. I just have this feeling that something is not right!

Kiseki quickly looks over to Nico laying close to him. Nico is fast asleep. Nico twitches a little bit. Kiseki blinks a few times and takes a few quite breaths. He is slightly relieved that Nico appears to be just fine. However, Kiseki still can’t shake the feeling that something is off.

It is only when Kiseki tilts his head slightly that he notices a shimmering figure standing close by. Kiseki is slightly alarmed.

What is that!? Kiseki thinks to himself. Who is that!?

All of the sudden Kiseki thinks of something.

A spirit! Kiseki thinks. What is a spirit doing here? Why is it watching us sleep?

Kiseki suddenly notices something. The shimmering figure is wearing ninja attire!

The spirit is a ninja! Kiseki thinks. However, before Kiseki can look at the spirit’s face, the spirit’s form dissipates. The spirit disappears right before Kiseki’s eyes! Kiseki shakes his head and blinks a few times.

This is just unbelievable! Kiseki thinks. I have never been visited by a spirit before! Why would a spirit visit me?

Kiseki’s eyes soon fall upon Nico’s sleeping form. His eyes widen. I think the spirit was actually visiting Nico! Kiseki thinks to himself. His eyes then narrow. I wonder why?

Kiseki closes his eyes for a minute. He then thinks of something. I remember now! Kiseki thinks. Nico had told me that when he was running from the forest fire a voice spoke to him. It was as if the voice was being carried on the wind. It must have been the spirit that I saw just now! The spirit was trying to save Nico from the forest fire!

Kiseki blinks a few times. He then smiles. Nico is incredibly lucky despite his circumstances! Kiseki thinks. He actually has a guardian angel watching over him in this world!

Kiseki closes his eyes and lays his head back on the ground. He soon drifts off to sleep again.