Actions

Work Header

A Twist in Fate: Nico's Story

Chapter 5: A Sad Family History

Notes:

Last chapter: Nico meets his rescuer, Jarou Kirai. Nico also learned that he is in a different World. He also learned about ninjas. However, Jarou dropped a bombshell at the end of the chapter. So what exactly does Jarou mean by 'your mother's birthplace'? And what is with the burned down village?

Chapter Text

Nico stares unbelievably at Jarou. My mother’s birthplace?

“What do you mean by this is my mother’s birthplace?” Nico asks. Jarou sighs.

“Your mother was born in this world.” Jarou says. “As a matter of fact she was born right here in this village. That was before it was destroyed of course. When your mother was a baby she was sent to your world through a dimensional rift, just like the one that brought you here.”

Nico looks at the ground. My mother was born in this world! Unbelievable!

“How do you know all of this?” Nico asks. He is suspicious about how Jarou knows all of this.

“My clan specializes in dimensional rifts.” Jarou says. “We can sense when people are sent from this world to other worlds. We can also sense when people are sent to this world. We can also see into other worlds. The job of some special members of my clan is to keep an eye on people from this world who have been sent to other worlds.”

Jarou looks up at the sky for a minute. He then looks back at Nico.

“I happen to be one of those special members.” Jarou says. “That is how I know all about you, Nico di Angelo. I kept an eye on your mother. I watched her grow up. I saw her give birth to you and your sister. I saw your mother die. I also saw your sister die.” Jarou's eyes become downcast. He looks at the ground. He closes his eyes.

Nico looks back at the ground. So Jarou knew about Bianca as well. Jarou opens his eyes.

“I also know that you and your sister were born demigods.” Jarou says. “I know that your father is Hades, god of the Underworld.” Jarou closes his eyes again.

Nico looks at Jarou. He can tell that Jarou is hiding something, but he can’t quite put his finger on it! Nico watches Jarou open his eyes. He looks back up at the sky.

“The reason that I kept an eye on your mother is because your mother was born with a Kekkei Genkai.” Jarou says. He looks at the ground.

Nico is surprised by this information. Jarou had told him all about Kekkei Genkai earlier. Kekkei Genkai are abilities passed down through ninja clans. Nico then thinks of something. If my mother had a Kekkei Genkai that means I have it to! That must mean that my mother was from a ninja clan!

Jarou looks up from the ground. “I should start from the beginning.” Jarou says. “You see, time passes by at a much faster rate in your world than it does here. When one year passes in this world, fifteen years pass in your world.” Nico looks at Jarou.

“Fifteen years!” Nico says. He is very surprised at the time difference between the two worlds.

Jarou looks at Nico. “Your mother was born seven years ago in this world.” Jarou says. “That means one-hundred and five years passed in your world.”

Nico looks at the ground again. I suppose that makes sense.  

“Your mother was born to a fourteen year old village girl.” Jarou says. “Teen pregnancy is common in this world. Your mother’s father was the same age. However, he never knew that your mother was born. He was a young ninja who was just passing through. Your grandfather and grandmother were together one night. Your grandfather left the next morning, never to return. Your grandmother was heartbroken. She had grown to like your grandfather. She had hoped that he would stay.”

Nico looks at the ground. Many emotions run through his head. Sadness and anger are two of them! So my mother was the result of a one night stand! My grandfather just used my grandmother for pleasure and then he broke her heart! Some guy he must have been!

Jarou sighs. “Your grandmother’s name was Luna.” Jarou says. “She was a beautiful girl. She loved babies. She always wanted to be a mother. Even though Luna was young, she was thrilled when she eventually learned that she was pregnant! However, she was still heartbroken over your grandfather leaving her.”

Nico looks at the ground. At least my grandmother loved my mother… even though she was young.

Jarou sighs. “However, that heartbreak turned into absolute despair when your grandmother learned what your grandfather did just a few months after they had been together.” Jarou says. His voice is sad as he speaks.

Nico looks at Jarou with a very concerned look. “What did my grandfather do?” Nico asks.

Jarou looks at the ground. “I should start with your grandfather’s history.” Jarou says. “Your grandfather’s name is Itachi Uchiha. He was born into the Uchiha Clan. The Uchiha clan hailed from the Hidden Leaf Village, otherwise known as Konohagakure. The Uchiha Clan was a very powerful clan, feared across the elemental nations for their Kekkei Genkai. Their kekkei Genkai is called Sharingan. The Sharingan is a powerful ocular jutsu that can cast very realistic illusions. The Sharingan also allows the user to copy any jutsu, except other Kekkei Genkai.”

Nico looks up at the sky. My grandfather’s clan is powerful! Jarou looks down at the ground.

“The Uchiha’s were also known for their incredible stamina, agility, and genius.” Jarou says. “Itachi Uchiha was no exception. He was what you could call a ‘prodigy’. Itachi graduated the ninja academy at the age of seven. He then attained his Sharingan when he was eight. He became a chunnin when he was ten. Then when he was thirteen he became captain of the Anbu Black Ops.”

Nico is absolutely stunned. He stares wide eyed at Jarou. “My grandfather was the captain of the Anbu Black Ops!” Nico says. Jarou had told Nico that the Anbu Black Ops were the police force of the Hidden Leaf Village. Jarou just nods.

“However, he was not captain for very long.” Jarou says. “He became a rogue ninja after doing…… something terrible.” Jarou’s voice falters as he speaks.

Nico narrows his eyes a little bit. Jarou sounds like he is hesitant to tell him something.

“No one knows why he did it.” Jarou says. His voice is sad as he speaks. “One night Itachi returned home to the Uchiha clans compound after a mission with the anbu. Itachi apparently started killing his fellow clan members one by one!”

Nico gasps, horrified at this revelation. My grandfather killed members of his own clan! That’s terrible!

Jarou sighs. “By the end of the night only three Uchiha remained. Your grandfather, your grandfather’s younger brother, and your unborn mother.”

Nico gasps again. My grandfather practically wiped out his clan! That’s even worse! How could someone do something like that? Nico then stops to think about something. If he wanted to wipe out his entire clan then why did he leave a survivor? Something just seems off about the whole thing.

Jarou sighs. “Luna was absolutely heartbroken when she heard about Itachi’s crime.” Jarou says. “Luna cried for days! The only thing that kept her together was the fact that she was going to be a mother. Later your mother was born. Luna loved her to bits! However, a week after your mother’s birth, something terrible happened.”

Nico looks at Jarou. “What happened?” Nico asks. However, Nico has the feeling that it has something to do with the village being burned. Jarou sighs.

“I was a member of Luna’s village.” Jarou says. “I was there when your mother was born. I also witnessed the events that transpired the night your mother was sent to your world.” Jarou looks at the ground. He slowly tells Nico the tale of how Nico’s mother was sent to his world. Jarou’s mind wanders back to the memory of that night as he does so.

.....Jarou’s flashback…

Smoke and screams fill the night air. Flames dance up from the burning houses and buildings. Rogue ninja attack the screaming villagers. The villagers run, trying to escape. A girl no older than fourteen clutches a small wailing bundle in her arms. The girl has long wavy black hair. Her skin is light with an olive tint to it. Her blue eyes are bright, but they are filled with horror, due to the situation. She stares at two bodies lying in front of her. The bodies are of a man and a woman.

“Father….Mother…..” The girl says as tears stream down her face.

Jarou and many other men are fighting the rogue ninja. Jarou turns when he hears the baby wailing. He looks right at the girl.

“LUNA!” Jarou yells. “RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!” The girl, Luna, gives a small nod and starts running towards the forest. However, a rogue ninja spots her and takes off after her. Jarou runs after him.

“LEAVE THEM ALONE!” Jarou yells.

However, a swirling mass of blue energy descends from the sky and forms a tornado, just at the forest line. Luna stops running and clutches the bundle closer to her. The rogue ninja stops and stares for a second. However, the rogue ninja slowly approaches Luna, ready to strike. Jarou has stopped running due to shock and surprise at seeing the blue tornado.

“Dimensional rift!” Jarou whispers to himself.

Luna clutches the baby close to her as the wind picks up. However, she turns to see the rogue ninja approaching her. She gasps and looks down at her baby. The rogue ninja stops right in front of Luna. He laughs as he lifts his sword, ready to strike. Luna closes her eyes. She turns. The wind is pulling at the baby in her arms. Luna opens her arms and lets the wind take the baby, just as the rogue ninja swings his sword. Luna falls to the ground, dead.

“LUNA!” Jarou screams. He watches as the baby is carried up into the air by the wind. The baby disappears into the tornado. The tornado ascends back into the sky and disappears completely.

.....End of Jarou’s flashback……

Nico looks sadly at the ground. Jarou has just finished telling Nico the story of how his mother was sent to his world.

Poor grandmother….she didn’t deserve to die like that, Nico thinks to himself. She let a dimensional rift take my mother in order to save her from that rogue ninja. She must have really loved my mother.

Jarou looks up at the sky. “Our village was totally destroyed.” Jarou says. “The survivors scattered to find new homes. However, I stayed. I decided to inhabit a cave nearby. I took it upon myself to find out which dimension your mother was sent to. When I did I was pleased to find that your mother had been adopted by a family in your dimension. After that I continued to check up on her every now and again.”

Jarou then clears his throat. He looks at Nico. “I am afraid that your arrival is going to stir things up within the Elemental Nations.” Jarou says. “Many ninjas will want you for the powers that you possess. You are a demigod with uchiha blood. You are extremely powerful.”

Nico looks at Jarou. Jarou continues on. “You namely have to avoid a group of rogue ninja’s called the Akatsuki.” Jarou says. “Your grandfather is actually a member of the Akatsuki.”

Nico’s eyes widen. My grandfather is part of an organization made up of rogue ninja?

Jarou sighs. “The Akatsuki wear black cloaks with red clouds.” Jarou says. “Avoid anyone wearing a cloak like that at all costs! You also need to avoid a rogue ninja named Orochimaru. He is formerly of the Hidden Leaf Village. He uses a jutsu in which he transfers his soul to another body in order to live forever. He is very interested in attaining an Uchiha body.”

Nico suddenly realizes where this is going. Orochimaru will want to take my body!

Jarou sighs. “A few years ago your great-uncle, Sasuke, went rogue and joined Orochimaru.” Jarou says. “You see, Sasuke swore to kill Itachi in order to get revenge for the rest of the clan. He went to Orochimaru in order to gain the power to do so. However, Orochimaru intends to take Sasuke’s body. I am sure that he will want your body after he takes Sasuke’s!”

Nico’s face pales a little bit. I knew he would say that!

“I am afraid that you are in terrible danger as long as you are in this world.” Jarou says. “In order to avoid being captured by the Akatsuki and Orochimaru you must stay hidden. Try not to linger too long in places. Do not tell anyone about your heritage. However, there are others in my clan who know about you. You can trust a few. However, I am afraid that some will try to sell you out in order to get a reward.”

Nico pales even more. Oh, great! People who know about my heritage may try to sell me out! Jarou looks towards the forest.

“I am afraid that you cannot stay here.” Jarou says. “You run the risk of being captured if you stay in one place too long. However, I will let you sleep in my cave tonight. Then in the morning you can leave.”

Nico nods in understanding. At least I will have a place to sleep tonight!

Jarou stands up and beckons Nico to follow him. Jarou begins walking towards the forest. Nico silently follows him.

****************************************

Nico settles down comfortably on an old futon. It’s better than sleeping on the ground. Nico thinks to himself. 

Jarou is tending to a fire in a hearth nearby. Jarou’s cave is surprisingly cozy. The cave floor is flat due to rocks being removed and a clay based adobe like material being placed on the cave floor. The cave walls have metal hooks bored into them. Gourds and various other objects hang from the hooks. The hearth is in the middle of the room. The heat from it’s fire radiates throughout the room. The cave walls have been whitewashed which gives the cave a bright and airy feel. The cave actually feels like a real home.

Nico looks at the various treasures hanging from the cave walls. Jarou sure does have a lot of stuff. Nico thinks to himself.

Jarou looks over at Nico. “Please get some rest!” Jarou says. “You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow. Travelling by foot in this world is not easy!”

Nico just nods. He yawns as he slowly drifts off to sleep.