Actions

Work Header

A Twist in Fate: Nico's Story

Chapter 2: A Rough Start

Notes:

Last time: Nico ran away from Camp, got chased by a hungry Cyclops, and then ended up in the Naruto World!

I forgot to add in the last chapter that I plan to use this same scenario for Percy and Thalia in the future. I just thought that the big three kids having Uchiha blood would be an interesting premise, and would make for an interesting conflict in a story.

Chapter Text

Nico wakes up. Light streams in through the opening in the tree’s base. It is morning. It is time to get up and look for civilization. He slowly uncurls himself and crawls out through the hole. He grimaces as his back aches a little bit.

“Note to self: never sleep like that again!” Nico says to himself. He stands up and takes a few steps. Slowly but surely his back slowly begins to ease up. Now it is time to focus on finding a river. Nico quickly looks at his surroundings. He sees a family of raccoons playing by a tree. A mother and two little babies. The mother is sniffing around the base of a tree. The two little babies are romping around and jumping on each other.

Seeing the happy raccoon family makes Nico smile to himself. Those raccoons sure seem happy, he thinks to himself. Seeing the happy raccoon family suddenly makes Nico think of Bianca. He frowns. He still misses Bianca. Bianca is gone forever, Nico inwardly reminds himself. Bianca is never coming back. Nico shakes his head to break himself out of his thoughts.

He turns his attention back to the raccoon family. However, he notices that the raccoon family has stopped playing. The mother seems to be leading her babies toward a path through the brush. Nico is wondering where the raccoons could be going. Suddenly an idea comes to mind. Maybe the mother raccoon is leading her babies to a river to get a drink! Nico then thinks about following the raccoons. If the raccoons lead Nico to water then he will be one step closer to finding civilization!

Nico carefully follows the little family of raccoons. He is practically tiptoeing as not to make any noise. I can’t spook them, Nico thinks to himself. They will probably run away if they see or hear me.

*******************************************

The walk through the forest is very slow. However ,Nico’s patience and effort is rewarded. His guess had been right! The raccoon mother was leading her babies to a stream! Nico watches the raccoons drink from the stream. However, Nico quickly notices something. The stream is crystal clear! Nico had never before seen such a clear and clean looking stream. Nico then watches the raccoons slowly waddle back into the forest. Nico uses this opportunity to investigate the stream. He walks up to the stream and carefully bends over. He then gives a deep sniff. The stream also smells very clean! After a few moments of careful consideration Nico cups his hands together and scoops up some water. He takes a tentative sip. His eyes instantly widen.

This is the best water that I have ever tasted! Nico thinks. It’s even better than bottled water! Nico gulps down the rest of the water in his hands. He quickly scoops up some more water and gulps it down just as fast. Before Nico knows it he has gulped down nearly five handfuls of water!

“I must have been thirstier than I thought,” Nico says to himself. With his thirst satisfied he stands up and looks downstream.

Civilization here I come! Nico thinks to himself. He then begins his journey downstream. However, Nico fails to notice a pair of blue eyes watching him from a patch of thick brush. The eyes carefully watch Nico walk along the stream.

***************************************

“Man,” Nico mumbles to himself. “I have been walking forever!” Nico has been walking for awhile. However, he has not come across any civilization yet. Nico has only stopped a few times since beginning his journey downstream. The first time was to take a bathroom break behind a tree. The second time was to get a drink of water from the stream. The third time was to tighten his shoe laces.

I have been walking for hours but I haven’t made any progress, Nico thinks to himself. I am starting to wonder if I will ever find civilization. A small rumble comes from Nico’s stomach. Nico grimaces. He has not eaten since he ran away from camp!

Man, I am so hungry! Nico inwardly thinks to himself. I just hope that I find civilization before I starve to death!

However, Nico soon reaches a small overgrown path that looks like it has been lined with stones. Someone made this path, Nico thinks to himself. That must mean there is civilization nearby! Nico looks at the path. He slowly follows it through the forest. He soon reaches a break in the trees. Nico see’s what he has been looking for! Houses and Buildings!

Civilization! Nico thinks excitedly. However, that excitement diminishes once he notices something peculiar. There appear to be no people around and the houses look run down. The place is totally abandoned!

“Oh, great!” Nico mutters to himself. “I found civilization but it’s been abandoned!” However, as Nico looks closer he notices something odd. The houses and buildings look as if they are from medieval times!

“Where in my father’s name am I?" Nico asks himself. Did I time travel or something? He is very confused.

******************************

After doing some thinking Nico decides to investigate the abandoned houses. Even if they are abandoned they may provide some clues as to where he is. Nothing else they may provide a cozy shelter for the night. Nico scans each house and building carefully. A few are not to run down. However, some appear to be so run down it looks like they could collapse at any minute.  

I may want to stay out of those houses, Nico thinks. If I go inside those houses the roofs may fall on me!

Nico slowly approaches one of the better looking houses. The front door is ajar. Nico slowly pushes the door open. The inside is dark and dingy. There is hardly any furniture except for a small table that is low to the ground. It looks kind of like a coffee table. Nico is pretty sure that he has seen a table like that before. However, he can’t seem to remember where he has seen such a table. Nico then notices a square depression in the middle of the floor. Nico enters the house and investigates the depression. The depression contains sand ,and what looks to be bits of burned wood and ashes. Suddenly it occurs to Nico that the depression in the floor may be a hearth of some kind. Nico looks up. There is a small hole in the roof right above the depression in the floor.

It probably is a hearth. Nico thinks to himself. All of the sudden Nico thinks of something else!

“I can build me a fire!” Nico says to himself, excitedly. “I won’t have to freeze tonight!”

However, Nico soon realizes that he will have to gather firewood. He also doesn’t have anything to light a fire with. Nico suddenly wishes that he had some matches. However ,out of the corner of his eye ,he spots something on the floor next to the hearth. Actually, it is two things. A small stone and a piece of metal. Nico picks them up. An idea comes to mind. He rubs the stone against the metal. Tiny sparks fly from the metal and stone.

“Yes!” Nico says. I shall have a nice warm fire tonight!

However ,his joy is short lived again. His hunger pains return with a vengeance. Nico grimaces. Man, I am so hungry! He thinks to himself. I sure wish that I had some food!

Nico looks out a window. The sun is already starting to set. Nico realizes that there is nothing he can do about his hunger pangs tonight. He will have to look for food in the morning.

"I guess that I should start looking for firewood." Nico says to himself. He exits the house. However, he soon realizes that he does not have much daylight left. If he doesn't hurry he will be looking for firewood in the dark!

“I better hurry!” Nico says to himself. He practically runs into the forest.

**************************

Nico makes it back inside with his arms full of branches and twigs just as the sun is giving off it’s last bit of sunlight. Nico quickly sets the branches and twigs in the hearth. He grabs the stone and piece of metal and rubs them together. Sparks fly and land on the wood. A small fire erupts and steadily grows as the branches and twigs catch fire. Nico sighs.

The fire sure does feel nice! He thinks to himself. However, just as Nico is about to lie down for the night he realizes that there is something around his waist. He looks down. It’s his black jacket! It’s tied around his waist! Nico feels like slapping himself.

“I can’t believe that I forgot about my jacket!” Nico mumbles to himself. Nico then gets a brilliant idea. He can use his jacket as a pillow! Nico quickly takes his jacket and rolls it up. He sets it down on the floor. He lays his head on it.

Nico sighs. He is very comfortable. However, a growl erupts from his stomach, reminding him of his problem. Nico grimaces. I guess that I am going to be dreaming about food tonight, he thinks as he drifts off to sleep.