Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 17 of The Abdication of Hou-Ting LIV or: How Wu Learned to Stop Being Foolish and Love the Detective
Stats:
Published:
2019-06-09
Updated:
2023-03-20
Words:
22,187
Chapters:
7/?
Comments:
42
Kudos:
67
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
1,200

Tales Of The Fire Nation

Summary:

A collection of one-shot stories set in the Fire Nation: Part of my post-series and post-canon Wuko universe.

No rhyme or reason to them; sometimes they just come to me, sometimes people request them, sometimes they are scenes that don't make it through cuts. I'll just post them as I write them!

These one-shots will be kept in chronological order.

Chapter 1: A Journey For Love: Zuko Says Goodbye

Summary:

Archived from a Tumblr prompt.

Chapter Text

Druk rumbled and he looked over to see his daughter, smiling at him, reaching out to scratch at the head the dragon eagerly thrust at her. Druk knew where his noodles were cooked, after all.

“I hope you’ve packed warmer clothes,” she said, staggering a bit as Druk shoved at her, demanding her notice. “Yes, yes, I’m paying attention to you.”

“After nearly freezing to death there once I’ll dress warmly, believe me.”

“That’s what you get for trying to go head to head with Katara.”

He grinned at her. “That’s what she’s always said. Frankly, I’m still surprised she let me live.” He chuckled. “She always did have a temper on her. Which I provoked more than once, sorry to say.”

“What are you going to do with Druk?”

“I’d leave him here with you if I thought he’d stay.” Druk hissed at this, shaking his head irritably. He held his hands up. “I told you, you can come! It won’t be my fault if you freeze your scales off, though. Consider yourself warned.” Druk merely snorted, shoving his head back at Izumi. “Tonraq’s had some sort of a barn built for him, assured me that it’s quite warm.” Satisfied that everything was stowed correctly on Druk’s saddle, he turned back to her. “You’re sure this is fine?”

She reached forward and patted down the lapel of his robe. “Of course it’s fine. What’s the point of abdicating if all you do is sit here in the palace? If you insist on playing ambassador then there’s no reason you can’t do that at the South Pole. Or anywhere else, really. There’s a whole world out there for you to see.”

“I’ve seen more than I wanted to of the world. I think right now I’d be content to live a little smaller.”  He brushed a thumb across her cheek. She might be the Firelord now, but she was still his little flame, his own Izumi, the light of his life. “Are you really sure?”

“Daddy.” His throat ached with the sweetness of hearing her call him that. “Mother died ten years ago. Aang’s been gone for nearly fourteen years. Why shouldn’t you and Katara find happiness together? You both have given everything you had to the world. It’s time to let it go. You deserve love, and so does she.”

He took her face into both of his hands, his tall, stately daughter. “I just worry about leaving you here alone.”

“I’m not alone. Iroh’s at sea but you know he’d come the second I called if I needed him. Auntie Kiyi as well. I have Ursa and Mitsu for company, and Mizuko and Yuji and the baby, of course.” A slight pause. “She seems to be doing better lately, don’t you think?”

He wasn’t sure if he agreed with her about Mizuko. Her moods had always been extreme, but the older she got the worse it seemed to get. He worried that her position as the Crown Princess was too much strain on her. It must have shown on his face, because Izumi gave his shoulder a sharp tap. “No, you are not going to stay here just to fuss after Mizuko. You are going to get up on this hoary old beast-” Druk bellowed his outrage at this “-and go to see Katara.” Her smile turned sly. “Just think, you won’t even have to worry about birth control.”

“Izumi!” She just laughed, though, and hugged him.

“Oh Daddy, please. You’re not dead yet. I hope you’ve got at least a little fire left in you.”

“I am going there to oversee some of the Avatar’s training, you know.”

“Oh yes, because no one else can train Korra.” If you didn’t know her well it would be hard to see that she was teasing; she had her mother’s way about her, serene on the surface, reserved, even. Her humor was uniquely her own and he had always treasured it.

He sat down on a stone bench, patting it so she’d come and sit next to him. “They say the Avatar is born to serve the world. Aang was a man of peace, and that’s what was needed in his time. I’m a little afraid of what kind of world Korra is supposed to serve. That girl’s a firecracker.”

“You like her.”

“You know, I really do.” They sat there together for a time, her hand pressed comfortably into his. She’d been Firelord in all but name now for several years, and it was high time he removed himself and let her get on with it. He would miss her, though. He looked forward to seeing Katara and yes, even that scamp Korra, but he wouldn’t stay forever. “Do you suppose that Kya knows?”

“What, that you and Katara have been carrying on for years now? Of course she knows.” She squeezed his hand fondly.

“Well, I wouldn’t say of course!” He frowned at her. “We’ve been very discreet.”

“You have. But Kya’s an intelligent, observant woman, and she loves her mother and wants her happiness. So yes, of course she knows.” Izumi’s mouth curved up very slightly. “Besides, we’ve written to each other about it.”

“Gossiping about the Firelord? Shameful.” He tsked at her. “And here I thought I’d raised you better.”

She lay her head on his shoulder. “You were never meant to retire into a hammock somewhere, drinking tea and fussing at your gardeners.”

“Well, I might end up that way. I’m not what I was, you know.”

“We’ll see,” she replied, and wrapped an arm around him. “I do expect letters every once in awhile. If you are going to call yourself an ambassador then dispatches are part of the job.”

He chuckled at this. “Sokka used to include drawings with his dispatches. No one knew whether he was being serious or not, which is exactly how he liked it.”

“Was Sokka an artist?”

“Only if you consider crudely rendered stick people art. I know I didn’t.” He shook his head, smile lingering. “He always did get a kick out of tweaking people’s noses.”

“You miss him, don’t you?”

He sighed, a mournful sound, raising her hand up to gently kiss her knuckles. “I do. I very much do. He’s gone and Aang’s gone and your mother’s gone and spirits know where Toph is, because even her daughters don’t know. We lost Suki years ago. Katara and I are the only ones left, if you don’t count my sister. And she won’t leave the South Pole. I’ve tried several times to get her to visit up here, you know.”

“I know. Kya tried to talk her into it but she won’t, she says she needs to be there for Korra.”

“Well, you know what they say, if you can’t bring the volcano to the dragon, then the dragon must go to the volcano. Or the South Pole, in this case. Although you’d probably prefer a volcano, wouldn’t you?” Druk just snorted at this. “Well. I’ve got everything packed. I thought I’d say my goodbyes tonight, leave tomorrow morning at daybreak.”

“Sneaking out on us, hmmm?” Ah, but she looked like her mother when she smiled like that. He raised a hand to tenderly smooth her hair back from her brow.

“Never,” he replied, and was rewarded with a soft kiss to his cheek.

Chapter 2: A Clarification of Principles: A Majordomo Is Hired

Summary:

The Majordomo of Prince Hou-Ting's new holiday residence handles the family's first visit.

Written for the Different POV Challenge on Tumblr. Prompt by chloenightswantsflight!

Chapter Text

Miwa closed the door to her receiving room and stood there for a moment, listening; all was quiet. With a sigh she toed off her indoor shoes and poured herself a small glass of wine from her cabinet before letting herself settle down into the comfortable chair on her bedroom's terrace. It had gotten dark about an hour before and she hadn't had a moment to herself since she'd risen before dawn. The prince and his family had been seen safely off to their airship, already making their way back to Republic City. She took a swallow of her wine and closed her eyes, breathing in the scent of the jasmine drifting up from the garden. Her day was done.

Her sister had thought she was making a terrible mistake, leaving the Firelord's household to come to this one. It had been a risk, of course. Being the under-housekeeper at the Firelord's holiday residence at the age of twenty-nine was nothing to sneeze at, especially considering she was an Island girl. Most of the nobility with homes on Ember Island brought in their own staff from the capitol. Her salary had been good and with the family so often at the Palace the work had not been difficult at all. Which was the problem, really. She'd been bored, working for the Firelord. Weeks and sometimes even months of doing the bare minimum, simply making sure the house was clean and in a state of constant readiness. There was no challenge to it, no real future ahead. The best she could hope for was to take over as housekeeper someday, and that wasn't going to be anytime soon, either.

The Former King of the Earth Kingdom had visited the Firelord's holiday home with his family several times over the years. About a year ago he'd shown up alone, however. He'd come to the Island to look at an estate going on the market; the Firelord had instructed her majordomo to assist him with whatever he needed. He'd asked the majordomo if he had any locals on his staff that might be spared to assist him for a day or two and she'd been the one told to put aside her other duties and dedicate her time to the Prince. At first she'd been a little resentful; she hadn't wanted what she privately considered babysitting duties. It hadn't taken more than a couple of hours for her to realize, however, that the Prince was charming, witty, and very unconventional. She liked him. He'd taken her with him to walk through the home he was thinking of buying, murmuring to himself as he inspected the closets (insufficient), the kitchen (too antiquated) and the floors (would never do) before he turned a sharp gaze onto her. Here is where I need your assistance, please, he'd said. I assume most of these homes were built with certain comforts in mind, and I would venture to say that many of those comforts were not, as they say, particularly conducive to Island life. He'd flashed a rather conspiratorial grin. In other words, what fool things in this house need to be renovated or replaced? He'd surprised a laugh out of her, and his eyes twinkled as he silently acknowledged it.

She'd done as he asked, walking him through the house, showing him what she thought should be changed. He listened intently; she wondered if she should be making notes but realized that he was remembering what she had said with perfect recall. He was intelligent, too. And when he'd wondered about adding some sort of retracting roof to the solarium, he'd immediately noticed her slight hesitation and had raised up a hand. Please be honest with me. I am relying upon your local expertise. It does me no good at all if you are hesitant to correct me because you fear I will be offended. I have asked for your opinion and I assure you that I want exactly that. Directness is what I need. He'd meant it, too, asking her numerous questions and listening to her responses.

He'd decided to buy the home; it was merely a few doors down from the Firelord's own residence, a large piece of property. Before they'd walked back to the Firelord's he'd turned to her. I will, of course, need a majordomo. It goes without saying that it would be highly impractical for me to bring my own staff back and forth from Republic City. In your opinion, what kind of permanent staff would a home this size need? And what kind of arrangements could be made for temporary help when the family was in residence? She'd thought for a moment and given him her opinion as asked; he'd listened, nodding slowly. Do you think you could handle that sort of responsibility? And just as importantly, would you like the job? She'd been rendered speechless for just a moment; he'd chuckled. I am offering you the position, Miwa. Majordomo of my holiday home. Your pay would be commiserate and more with the position, of course. I have people who handle the financial aspects of my life and I would expect you to present them with an annual budget for the staff and the upkeep of the home, that sort of thing. He waved a hand. We can discuss this later if you decide you would like the job. I should make it clear, however, that my expectation is that my majordomo will handle my home with as little input from me as possible. She must have had quite a look on her face; he'd laughed again and then invited her to dine at one of the local restaurants, discussing his needs with her as they ate fish cooked straight from the sea. She'd peppered him with questions but he seemed quite content to answer them.

As they finished he leaned back in his chair, patting at his mouth with his napkin. This was an excellent dinner. He shook his head, lips curling up slightly. Do you know, this is the first time in my life I've been out in public without a bodyguard of some sort? His sigh was pensive. If my husband knew about it he'd shout at me for hours. He'd leaned forward and tapped the side of his nose. Let's not tell him, hmm? He'd ordered another round of tea and steepled his fingers together. Now, then. I suppose I should discuss the family with you. We are not the most...conventional...family, to be sure. There are things you should know about us before you agree to work for us.

She'd taken the job, of course. Of course she had. How could she turn it down? The next months had been a maelstrom of contractors, builders, carpenters, interviewing staff, making sure the neglected garden had been pruned into shape. The Prince had visited once more under the pretext of visiting the Fire Palace, approving plans, meeting up with the decorators and choosing furnishings. He'd promised he'd speak to the Firelord about hiring her; she had no idea what had been said but the Firelord had met with her directly and had congratulated her on her new position. The Prince is a personal family friend, she'd said, in that formal way of hers. I trust you will serve him well. Everything else he had instructed her to send via his public relations firm, telling her that the house was meant to be a surprise for the family. He'd always answered her queries promptly, however. Much to her surprise he'd really meant what he said about leaving the running of the house to her. That wasn't always true; sometimes employers said that, but then insisted on micromanaging everything. Not so with the Prince. He sent her a very detailed list of their needs (the Crown Prince broke out in rashes when he ate gobo; the Lady Beifong did not care for an overly soft mattress; the Prince Consort took milk and sugar in his tea and would need a constant supply of both; his own majordomo and chef who traveled as part of the family would most likely attempt to intimidate any chef she might engage and she should therefore hire accordingly) and assumed she would take care of things on her end. He was certainly paying her to do so. Her salary was far more than generous and he'd made sure that the rest of the staff was also well-compensated. I prefer to pay well for excellent service, he'd written to her. I find that paying well and ensuring that working conditions are above standard facilitates a low turnover rate. He wasn't wrong about that, she had to admit. Her permanent staff was everything she needed them to be and the temporary staff all came highly recommended. 

The Prince had let her know with plenty of advance notice that they were coming for the New Year; he'd also given her a complete guest list. She'd personally gone to buy decorations for the home and had spent a pleasurable afternoon acquiring them. She'd also learned, over the months, that when the Prince told her to spend generously that he meant exactly that and so she spent the entire amount allotted for them. The house was spotless; the kitchen well-stocked. When his airship landed she received a call from the airfield; thus she and the staff were ready when the taxis pulled up.

And there was the family. Lady Beifong, standing tall and strong, with a rather stately presence. Lozan, his Republic City majordomo, with Lady Beifong on his arm, intently searching for any faults. The Prince Consort, as handsome as she remembered from the few times the family had visited the Firelord. The eldest princess, the one they were calling the Fire Butterfly, the one her staff had been murmuring about. The Crown Prince, curious, full of smiles. The youngest princess, a little beauty with excellent manners.

It was the other one, however, that she found herself staring at. The Prince had told her about this Qi; had instructed her to tell her staff that they did not prefer to be addressed by lady or sir; that their position in the family was currently being negotiated but that they were part of the family and not the staff. There they stood, dressed in a smart suit of raw lavender silk, with a silk flower in their buttonhole, imposing, short hair combed back, gazing about the entryway. She could not stop looking at those sharp cheekbones, those narrow hips. They moved with smooth power, and when they turned and caught her eye, staring, she was mortified. They must think she was staring because of the mystery of their gender! But it wasn't that. She had never seen anyone as attractive as this Qi. They made her heart pound in her chest. 

She immediately regained her composure and bowed; she was introduced to the Prince's guests and escorted them to their rooms. She resolutely put this Qi out of her mind as she flew through the rest of her day; making different sleeping arrangements, ensuring that a vegetarian entree was available for the other airbender that came unannounced, dealing with the chef's affronted feelings when the other majordomo expressed his doubts that he was capable, sending a footman into town to acquire wax for the surfing boards, the one thing she had forgotten to purchase. More guests appeared; the dining room looked as if it had been in the path of a monsoon. Eventually the family left for the Firelord's and the staff was dismissed for the New Year holiday, taking advantage of the taxis the Prince had considerately provided for to get them to their homes. 

She'd spent a lovely New Year with her own family, telling her sister and parents all about her first impressions of her new household. It wasn't until she returned to the house that she heard about the attempted robbery and the fact that this Qi had killed the thief that had threatened the eldest princess. There was nothing much for her to do at that point; someone had already cleaned up and the Island police had spoken to the entire staff - permanent and temporary, both - but since none of them had been there they had very little to add. One of the footmen had seen someone with a delivery wagon hanging about in the days before but could not give a definitive impression of the man and admitted that it could have been someone making one of the many deliveries necessary to the New Year. Well, it would not happen again, not if she could help it. She gathered the staff together and instructed them to keep an eye out for anything suspicious in the future and to report it to her immediately, regardless of how unimportant it seemed to be.

She had one rather unsettling moment, however. Madame Nuo Beifong, the the daughter-in-law of Lady Suyin, approached her as she was walking down the hall, fresh linens in her arms. Madame Beifong was a beautiful woman; dressed expensively but with good taste, her unfashionably long hair kept in place with jeweled pins. So. You are in charge of His Highness's home, here, she said, and Miwa bowed. Do you think yourself qualified? the lady asked, and Miwa had tried not to bristle. His Highness's concerns are my concerns, do you understand? Miwa's chin had come up at that. They are mine as well, she had replied, meeting her eyes. The lady's mouth had curved up, an expression that was in no way mirthful. See that they are, she had responded, the threat implicit in her tone. Miwa had held her ground, but the woman had angered her, approaching her that way. Who was she to make this home her business? Who was she to speak to her that way? The lady left her then, but not without another cool, dismissive look. 

Don't mind Nuo, said the Prince Consort, and as she turned he came out of his bedroom and sighed. She thinks of Wu as hers. She gets a little territorial. She's even let me have it a few times. Miwa nodded, unsure of what to say. Listen, I'll say something to her so she won't bother you again, you've got enough to do without having Nuo piling on top of it. Don't worry about it, seriously. Wu's really pleased with you, trust me on this one. And the house looks great, so thanks for that. With a nod of his own he moved past her and headed after Madame Beifong. She took in a deep breath, let it out, and tried to let Madame Beifong's unasked for interference go.

It was a good visit, otherwise. A few small bumps and mishaps; nothing out of the ordinary for a new household, however. Nothing that she could not smooth down and resolve. The Prince did approach her at one point and mentioned that he found the staff slightly too deferential; she immediately addressed it with them. At another point she had to give them a bit of a dressing down when she found most of them shirking their duties in order to watch the eldest princess sparring on the beach with her father and Prince Iroh. It is not that she could blame them - who hadn't heard of that infamous demi kai? - but it was unprofessional, just the same. None of the household was particularly demanding; the royal children were well-mannered, thankfully, and the Prince's guests had not caused any undue trouble. (The long-haired Beifong was a trifle odd and had terrified the youngest of the housemaids by turning around and shouting at her when she had accidentally dropped an empty tray behind him when he was painting; he had come into the kitchen later, completely unannounced, and had sincerely apologized to her with a sort of old-fashioned courtliness that had been unexpected. When Miwa had tried to tell him it was unnecessary he had merely looked at her sideways and said, I don't like to yell at little girls, it hurts their feelings.)

The night before they had been scheduled to return to Republic City she'd taken a moment to herself in the back garden before bed; just a quick circuit to catch her breath and to smell the jasmine. As she came around the bend she'd been surprised to see that Qi sitting atop one of the low stone walls, cigarette in hand. She'd immediately apologized and started to withdraw but Qi shook their head.

"It's fine. Don't go back on duty for my sake. Finish your walk." Their voice was so quiet it was hard to hear over the ever-present hiss and roar of the waves. She wasn't sure if they did that on purpose or if their voice was just like that. They reached into a pocket and pulled out a silver cigarette case, offering her one. Miwa did not smoke. She took one anyhow. "The garden back home is so formal. I like this one." They leaned forward with a silver lighter and lit Miwa's cigarette, cupping her hand a bit so the sea breeze wouldn't take the flame with it.

"I'm glad it is to your satisfaction," she replied, trying to hold the cigarette in a way that looked sophisticated instead of mirroring how foolish she felt.

They sat back a bit to regard her, blowing out a smoke ring. Showy. She liked it. "You know, I'm not royalty. I used to drive Wu around. I'm not exactly comfortable with being treated like I'm high and mighty." A grin, the wicked smile of something that would stalk you while you feared and desired it both. "Guess that's not really your problem though, is it?"

"Only if you make it that way," she replied, and trembled just slightly at her own boldness. The grin broadened.

"Mako told me you got cornered by Nuo Beifong." A snort at her nod. "She does like putting her nose in where it doesn't belong." Another smoke ring. "Mako took care of it. He's one of the few people not intimidated by her. She won't do it again, I don't think. She does, though, you come and let me know."

"Alright," she said. She didn't know how to speak to them. She'd never have a conversation like this with a driver, who would be far beneath her in the Fire Nation's rigidly held household echelon. She'd certainly never speak to a family member like this. The wind was tugging their hair loose, and they were sitting in their shirtsleeves, buttons at that long throat undone, staring at her, blowing those cocky smoke rings. She knew she should go. It wasn't proper. The conversation, her feelings, any of it.

That grin again, slow, so slow. "You going to smoke that thing or just hold it?"

She felt herself color up a bit. "I don't...I don't actually smoke."

They chuckled, a rusty sound. "Yeah, I figured that. Here." They leaned forward and slid it it out of her hands and into their mouth. holding both cigarettes there for a moment before taking the old one out and crushing it out against the wall. Miwa swallowed. "Just as well. Bad habit. Started when I was too young, wish I never had." Another smoke ring. "Anyhow. I'm keeping you from your free time. Sorry. I should turn in, it's late. There'll be a big fuss tomorrow, leaving. There always is." They slid down off the wall and carefully crushed out Miwa's cigarette before putting both stumps into the silver case. "You have a good night, now." With a saunter, they headed back down the path towards the house.

It took a few minutes for Miwa to regain her composure enough to walk herself back as well. 

The next day had run her ragged; there had indeed been a big fuss, getting two families packed and into taxis, starting the work to clean up after them, making sure that the temporary staff didn't try to take advantage of the chaos to slack off on their last day for the time being. She'd eaten on the run, trying to be everywhere at once. She felt satisfied, however, as she sat in her chair on the terrace; she'd sent home the temporary staff with a selection of leftover foods as well as a second small bonus that the Prince had instructed her to give to them in red envelopes; the permanent staff had eaten well and had relaxed, opening up their own more generous bonuses and toasting their new master with a glass of sake.

She gazed about her small private suite, the one reserved for the Majordomo, the first time in her life she hadn't had to share a room with someone else. It was comfortable and done in her favorite colors of blue and white; there was a photograph of her parents on the wall and a vase with some of the flowers the full time gardener had brought her that afternoon, handing them to her with a wink. She was an attractive woman and a discreet dalliance with her would be fine so long as they both kept it professional outside of the bedroom. Relationships weren't forbidden, after all. There were rules to them, and Miwa knew exactly what those rules were.

The rules did not include exchanging midnight cigarettes with the former driver who was soon to be, as she understood it, the consort of the Hou-Ting prince himself. Fraternizing with the family belonged in the Do Not Do Ever section of the rulebook. The part of the rulebook the former driver themself had quite nicely shattered, yes? Well, never mind. That was them and Miwa was just herself. Best to remember herself; best to remain professionally formal and behave as she'd been trained.

She might take up smoking, though.

With a smile, she finished off her wine.

Chapter 3: A Familial Fracas: Azula Comes To Visit

Summary:

Archive of a Tumblr prompt. Azula comes for a visit.

This takes place a few days before All The Wealth The Past Has Made, referencing a comment one of the characters made there.

Chapter Text

“Auntie, I would like to remind you that I expect you to be on your best behavior.” The Firelord was trying very hard to keep her temper. Both of her aunts were there in the parlor of her mansion on Ember Island; her younger aunt, Kiyi, was sitting on a settee, looking pained. Her elder aunt, Azula, was standing across the room, sneering at her. She sighed internally, reminding herself that fits of temper were beneath the leader of a nation. She wished her son were here, however. Azula always had liked him more than the rest of them put together and from the time he’d been a small boy Iroh had usually been able to coax her out of some of her worst moods.

“You’re telling me how to behave now? Oh, aren’t we just the finest example of an exalted Firelord.” Azula’s lip curled up. “Zuzu would be so proud.”

“Give off, Azula,” Kiyi said.

“Oh, I’m sorry, was that a little meadow vole I heard squeaking? Squeak squeak squeak!”

“Oh dear, she’s called me a meadow vole. What an insult. Whatever will I do? Boo-hoo, I’m so sad.” Kiyi affected a bored pose, her voice dry. Azula gritted her teeth.

“Listen here, you little peasant-”

“That’s enough, Auntie.” Izumi cut her off firmly. If you let her go she’d get worked up and rant for hours.

She’d tried, spirits knew she’d done her best with Azula. Her father had loved her, for some inexplicable reason, and it was in his honor that she’d even invited her. It’s not like she wanted her. Azula delighted in chaos; nothing made her happier than setting things on fire, both metaphorically as well as physically. The Fire Shamans were more than welcome to her. The plan had been that she’d come for the New Year with Ursa; Azula being Azula, of course, had shown up early and professed no knowledge at all of the plan. Oh, she knew what the plan was, sure enough. She was just making sure they all remembered that she did whatever it was she wanted. The woman had turned one hundred the past summer and Izumi was convinced the only thing keeping her alive was spite.

Azula sniffed, glancing around the room. “I hope you had your decorators flogged. It looks like a bordello in here.”

“And you know what the inside of a bordello looks like? Do tell.” Kiyi leaned forward with faux-eagerness.

“Auntie,” she warned, giving Kiyi a look. She loved her dearly, but Azula brought out the worst in her, just like she did to the rest of them. Kiyi met her eye and sighed, nodding, raising a hand in apology. Izumi took in a deep breath and pasted on her very best diplomat’s face.

“If we could get back to the subject at hand, insofar as I know everyone is coming. Possibly not Suyin Beifong’s oldest son, however.”

Azula grunted. “See, now he’d be interesting to meet.” She shrugged nonchalantly, but Izumi wasn’t fooled. In her experience Azula wasn’t nonchalant about anything. “But that girl, Aang’s granddaughter, she’s coming?” Her tone intimated that she could care less, but she’d seen the betraying gleam in her eyes.

“I’m not sure which one you mean, but both of them are coming, yes.”

“Interesting.”

Wary, she wanted to ask what was so interesting about it, but knew better from painful experience. The moment Azula thought she had any advantage over you she’d go for blood. She caught Kiyi’s eye, and she shook her head slightly. She didn’t know either. She’d ask Ursa when she arrived, then. The last thing she needed was for Azula to be harassing anyone’s children.

She mentally fortified herself. “Also, Prince Hou-Ting and his family are coming.”

Azula crossed her arms. “Please tell me this is one of your feeble attempts at humor.”

“I expect you to behave. If you have nothing nice to say to him then kindly don’t say anything at all.” She exchanged another look with Kiyi, who was massaging at her forehead with her fingers.

Azula gritted her teeth. “That throne was mine. I took it fair and square. I was the fifty-third Hou-Ting, not that woman that was stupid enough to let some novice airbender choke her to death.”

“You weren’t a Hou-Ting at all. You were never a part of that dynasty.” Kiyi wrapped her hand around her cane and carefully hoisted herself up. “That’s not how it works, Azula. You aren’t a member of the family.”

“And that puling little deserter is?” Azula turned to face her sister.

“Yes. He is. He was the fifty-fourth and last of his line. The Hou-Ting Dynasty practiced agnatic non-bending primogeniture, if you recall. You most certainly weren’t eligible on any level.” Kiyi shrugged. “I don’t make the rules.” She leaned slightly forward. “And despite your lifelong belief, neither do you.” Her smile was not pleasant. “You were nothing but a very, very short-term and unacknowledged usurper, dear sister. Time to get over it.”

“I’ll give you get over it,” Azula hissed, raising her hands, the smell of ozone rising through the fragrance of the tropical garden outside the open veranda.

“AUNTIE AZULA,” she thundered, finally letting loose with a little of her anger. “You will not bend in my home. Do I make myself entirely clear?”

Azula rolled her eyes, but dropped her hands. “Just like your father,” she muttered. “Zuzu always did get hard when he got to bellow orders.”

She ignored this provocation. “You are a guest and you will remain respectful of Prince Hou-Ting as well as his family in my home.”

Azula scoffed. “What, you mean those filthy motherless street rabble he calls children? Please.”

“Don’t you talk about them like that!” Sozui materialized from behind the door, where he’d clearly been listening. His face was flushed with fury, his hands clenched into fists. Juziya was right behind him, putting a restraining hand on his shoulder. “Don’t you dare! They’re better than you ever were!”

Azula cackled at that. “Well now, there’s some fire! Good to see the line of Sozin hasn’t been too watered down.” She shook her finger at him. “I’ve heard tell that you’re not much in the brains department, though.”

The only sign of Juziya’s anger was the tightening of her mouth. “Leave Sozui alone, Auntie.” She pulled him back into her chest, curving her arm protectively around him.

Azula threw a hand out, still hooting. “Oh, would you look at that, Izumi. It looks like at least both of your grandsons overcame the taint of your mother.”

Juziya took in a sharp breath before the room fell silent. Even Azula stopped laughing, hands falling to her sides. A look flickered across her face; was it regret? Izumi closed her eyes briefly, opening them again as Kiyi brought her cane down on the floor with a resounding crack, eyes blazing. Azula frowned unhappily, eyes sliding to the side for a moment before bringing them back to Juziya’s still face.

“Here now, girl. I didn’t mean it.” She took a step towards Juziya. “Sometimes I don’t think before I speak.” Sozui’s eyes were wide in his shocked face and he leaned into his sister.

Juziya met her eyes, chin held high. “Is that meant to be an apology?”

“I…” Azula looked, suddenly, all of her hundred years, bowing her head and plucking feebly at her robes. “I said didn’t mean it.” Her tone was sulky, her frown deepening.

“That’s still not an apology.” Juziya refused to back down, and Izumi’s heart was so full of pride for this woman, her strong, vibrant granddaughter, her heir. Once again she regretted that her own mother had died before she had been born. Juziya had so much of her great-grandmother’s intelligence and resolution, her serene strength of will. Her mother would have loved her, she knew.

“Spirits beyond,” said Kiyi, disgusted, shaking her head. “There’s low and there’s low. You of all people should know better, Azula.”

Azula turned, her face twisting with hatred. “And what’s that supposed to mean, child of a peasant?”

“You know exactly what it means, child of a homicidal maniac.”

“I’ll give you a maniac,” Azula screeched, hands raising again.

“Aunties!” She raised her own hands. “I will not have this in my home!” She pointed at Kiyi. “Stop baiting her, Auntie Kiyi!” She swung her gaze to Azula. “And you owe Juziya an apology.”

Azula’s laugh was cruel. “I’d rather apologize to an aardvark sloth. At least it knows what it is.”

“You will apologize to Juziya or else you may leave my home,” Izumi said, teeth clenched. Her fire was writhing in her as she desperately hung on to her own temper. Azula was one of the few people in the world who could goad her into losing it, and she could feel her control slipping.

“You boot licking half-breed little toadie,” Azula shrilled. “You don’t even deserve the title of Firelord. Thank the comet my father was dead before he saw someone of your blood on our sacred, ancestral throne!”

“OUT!” She roared, her temper exploding into rage. “GET OUT!” She pointed towards the door. “I don’t give a damn how you get off this island, but don’t you ever come back into my home!”

“Oh, I’m getting,” Azula said, sneering. “Like I’d want to stay here with you lot of freaks.” She shuffled her way to the door.

“Don’t let the door hit you on the way out,” Kiyi said, and in a quick movement that was shocking in a woman her age Azula turned and launched a blue fireball at her. Kiyi squawked in surprise, managing at the last second to redirect it onto the settee where she had been sitting. “Oh you vindictive bitch!” she shouted as Azula’s raucous laughter followed her out. Sozui broke free of his sister and closed the door behind her with a firm shove.

“I hate her,” he said, chin trembling. “Why is she like that? Why is she always so mean?”

Kiyi sighed. “Our mother left her alone and her father broke her, over and over again.” She held out a hand for him and stretched up as far as she could to kiss his cheek. “I’m not excusing her, she’s an adult and she makes her choices. But the things that were done to her? They were things no child should ever have to bear.” She glanced at Izumi. “Your poor father always felt so guilty, so responsible, no matter how many times your mother and I reminded him that it wasn’t his fault.”

Juziya walked to the settee and quickly put the fire out. “It’s done for,” she said, looking down at the scorched hole that took up half the seat, still smoking.

“That was new, too,” she said, and then she started to laugh helplessly. It was either that or cry, and her tears weren’t going to do any of them any good. “Where am I supposed to find a another one before everyone arrives?”

“Are you the Firelord or not?” Kiyi rejoined tartly. “Be imperial for once, and demand an immediate replacement.”

“Naoki’s not street rabble,” Sozui said, tears in his eyes. Kiyi put a gentle hand to his cheek.

“Of course she’s not. Nor are her brother and sister. They are royal children. Your great-great aunt just did what she usually does, which is to say whatever it is that she thinks will cause the most hurt. Truth isn’t exactly something she’s known for. You never mind a thing she said.” She patted his cheek fondly. “Now then, this was too much excitement for one old lady. What say you take your Auntie Kiyi to the kitchen and we’ll see if we can beg some tea and cakes from the cook, hmm?”

He brightened a little. “The cook never gives me extra cakes, even when I ask nicely.”

“Well, he can’t possibly refuse me, can he? I’m too old and dignified to refuse. Come along, now. Do you think you can look very hungry?” She gave him a little nudge towards the door, leaning on her cane.

“I am actually hungry.”

“Well then! Perfect! Show me your hungry look. Oh, you can do better than that! Suck in your cheeks a little! Now that’s better.” She exchanged a quick look with Izumi as they left the room.

Juziya sighed and Izumi moved forward to wrap her arms around her as she lay her cheek against hers. “It’s like Auntie said. Never mind. You know better than to listen to a damn thing Azula says. She’s pure poison. She always has been.”

“It’s not like she said anything that people don’t already think.” She moved her head to gaze at her, the two of them of a height. “Some of them will never see me as anything else but your grandson. Maybe it would be easier if I just went back.” She swallowed, the knot in her throat more prominent as she battled tears.

“Some of them might. But so many of them don’t, you know that. And it doesn’t matter anyhow. You can’t go back to a lie, my love. You are exactly who you are meant to be, the Crown Princess, my heir. My beloved granddaughter.” She smoothed her hair back. “I love you so very much. And I am so proud of you.”

“Oh Grandmama,” she sobbed, and she tightened her arms around her and rocked her, her own sweet girl.

Chapter 4: A Dedicated Cultivation: The Prince of the Fire Nation Dresses

Summary:

Prince Sozui and his new valet.

Part of the Different POV Challenge on Tumblr. Prompt by caelumlevitas!

Chapter Text

Yoji straightened the pile of boots in front of him with a soundless sigh. He'd been assigned to His Royal Highness Prince Sozui on his fourteenth birthday, a month ago now, and the prince was still getting used to the idea of a valet. The prince, upon wakening, was meant to pull the cord near his bed to summon him but he invariably forgot and Yoji would arrive as the prince was in the middle of dressing himself. Yesterday morning he'd explained that Prince Hou-Ting had some sort of bells in his home that would ring with electricity if you pushed a button but the Palace was not quite as modernized as private homes in Republic City, apparently. Nevertheless. He would get the Prince to ring for him properly if it was the last thing he'd do.

He would never criticize the Firelord, of course, but the Prince might have benefited from a valet at an earlier age. His wardrobe had been in a state; his boots only sporadically polished and his linens limp and wrinkled. Unacceptable! He'd had some severe words with the palace majordomo about the Prince's laundering needs. The Prince Royal, who had hired him, had told him that he was to do whatever was necessary to make sure his nephew was properly presented going forward and Yoji meant to do so. The Prince Royal's valet was a former military man and it showed; his master was always impeccably turned out, a credit to his house and his nation. Yoji could not do less for his young master.

"Is it just me or is this shirt shorter?" The Prince's voice sailed, wavered and cracked. He was making a face at himself in the full length mirror of his dressing room, tugging at it.

"I believe Your Highness has outgrown it as well." Yoji pulled out one of the Prince's new shirts from the closet. He had finally arranged the Prince's dressing room to his satisfaction; however, the Prince was in the middle of a growth spurt and was shedding too small clothes like a mongoose lizard shed its hide. He'd brought in the royal tailors a few days prior and had told them to make the Prince a priority and they'd delivered his new wardrobe the day before. Yoji had spent several hours re-organizing everything. It had been very satisfying.

"Damn it!" 

Yoji raised one eyebrow, very slowly. It was not his place to correct the Prince, of course. However, a small hint with regards to propriety never went amiss.

"Uh. Monkeyfeathers?" The Prince grinned rather uncertainly. He was often more than a little reticent, Yoji had noticed. A royal prince never needed to look for approval from anyone but his ancestors but this youngest member of the Royal Family was often overshadowed by his illustrious relatives. He was not ignored, of course. The Firelord herself clearly had great affection for him. Nevertheless, he was still considered a child and was usually left out of state matters. He was an intelligent boy; that had been obvious from the start. It was also evident that despite his youth the Prince took his duties seriously, which was certainly a credit to how he had been raised. The Prince's public face was an amalgamation of many things, including his tutoring, his comportment, and his manner of dress. Eventually his tutors, his dancing master, even his firebending master would leave his life. Yoji, however, would be part of his young Master's life until such time as he was to retire. Yoji was only thirty-one years old. He had many years ahead of him with the Prince and he intended to make them count.

He was already rather fond of the boy. Not the most professional thing, in his line of work, but there it was. The Prince was amiable and generous with a rather droll sense of humor. He was polite and considerate to the staff - not a given from Fire Nation nobility, certainly not - and concentrated on his studies much the same as any other fourteen year old boy. He had an engaging way about him that, when he used it, tended to draw others in as well. He was never spoiled or demanding, which was certainly a change from the last young noble Yoji had been assigned to. A little hot-tempered, perhaps, but that was to be expected. He was a firebender and a royal, after all.

He also struck Yoji as a very lonely boy. His older sister, the Crown Princess, was always busy as the Firelord gave her more and more responsibility, preparing for the time when she would abdicate, much like her father the Firelord had done. The Princess Royal, His Highness's mother, had not been to Court in over fifteen years now and his father, the Prince Consort, was usually with his wife in her countryside home. His royal aunt served the nation as a Fire Shaman and was rarely home; his royal uncle was still serving in the military and was frequently at sea. The Prince had grown up in the Palace and had always been tutored at home instead of being sent away to school. Just last week he had visited the estate of his paternal grandfather's family and had behaved quite differently than how he was at home; he was reserved and rather stiff. The other children his age had tried to engage him and while he'd participated in their games and other pastimes he'd been a shadow of the lively prince Yoji had observed in the short time he had been serving him. An obstructive combination of shyness and uncertainty, he'd come to believe. Unfortunately for the Prince the other children had mistaken it for haughtiness and had eventually left him alone, even going out of their way to avoid him.

"This one is nice," he said, his manners back in place, as Yoji helped him slide his arms into the sleeves of the new shirt, taking care to make sure his hair did not get caught. The Prince had long, thick black hair, straight and slightly coarse. He'd been pulling it into a ponytail on his own but Yoji had trimmed the ends neatly and was now dressing it in the traditional style, pulling the hair at his crown into a top knot, securing it with a pin of gold and rubies that signified his royal status. As much as the Prince talked about the household of the Hou-Ting Prince he was more than a little surprised that the boy hadn't asked to have it cut short, much as his royal uncle's hair was. He hadn't, though, merely saying that he liked how it looked longer.

There was a formal photograph of the Hou-Ting family in a frame on the table next to his bed; the Prince himself, the Prince Consort, the soon-to-be Royal Consort, the three royal children, the Lady Beifong and a former resident of the Fire Nation who was apparently the chef, of all people. He had had no idea why the chef would be part of a family photograph but the Prince had explained that he was an unofficial consort to the Lady Beifong. Imagine! The citizens of The United Republic of Nations were an unruly bunch, certainly. No sense of propriety.

The Prince also had a candid photograph of the eldest Hou-Ting Princess. She was dressed in gi, long braids wrapped around her head, a katana in her hand, laughing at whomever had taken the photo. The Prince had explained to him that she was a foundling; she was clearly of Fire Nation descent, however. He had not seen her famous demi kai but he'd heard about it, of course. Everyone had. It was most certainly not his place to wonder, but it would not surprise him at all if the Firelord and the Hou-Ting Prince were planning a match between the children. It made sense; they were of an age and were both royalty as well as firebenders. Surely their progeny would only strengthen the line of Firelords to come!

"If His Highness would please take a seat," he murmured, and the Prince sat down obediently in front of the mirror. Yoji quickly ran a brush through his hair, easing out any tangles, expertly pulling it up and clipping it. The Prince stared at himself in the mirror. His face was changing as his body lengthened and expanded; his chin squaring up a bit, the baby fat melting off of those extraordinarily high and broad cheekbones, his expressive and mobile mouth shadowed by just the slightest touch of dark fuzz. The Prince had not yet mastered the knack of hiding his feelings, however; his face still showed every joy, every disappointment, every eruption of anger. 

"So I guess you are coming with me when we go to Republic City for the wedding," the Prince said, tucking back the forelock that liked to slide out of place no matter what Yoji did to it.

He nodded as he gestured the Prince up. "Of course, Your Highness."

"Grandmama says we'll be staying at the Four Elements Hotel. I usually stay at their house, though. Would you come with me if I stayed in their house?" He gnawed at a fingernail; at Yoji's pointed look he snatched his hand away and put it behind his back. 

"Naturally, Your Highness. Prince Hou-Ting's staff would prepare a room for me. As your valet my place is with you."

"Oh." The Prince considered this a moment as Yoji looked him over critically, tugging his shirt into place. "Well, Wu doesn't have a valet. Prince Wu, I mean."

A minute pause while he tried to process this information. "His Highness does not have a valet?"

The Prince shrugged. "Well, their house is kind of weird that way. Naoki told me once that it was because Wu hated the way he was raised so much. I don't know if that's true or not, though. I mean, they have servants of course, but none of them live there, only LoLo, and he's not really a servant." His mouth twisted to the side as he considered. "I don't really know what you would call LoLo. He's the chef but also the grandfather." Another shrug. "Naoki says that her father told her once that he was the happiest in his life when he lived with Mako's extended family in Republic City and that's what he wanted his own house to feel like."

"The Prince Consort, you mean?" Yoji knew better than to gossip, of course. But this was important information for him to have. After all, the Prince was intimately acquainted with the family and would most likely spend time with them in the future. Better that he knew what was expected from him whilst there.

"Mako's family on his father's side were refugees from Ba Sing Se when the Earth Queen was killed. Naoki told me all about it. They were living in the Sato mansion - which is bigger than Wu's house, I went there once with them, it's like a palace more than a house - and when Kuvira tried to kill Wu then Mako moved him there with his family. He was really happy there, Naoki says." The Prince picked up his hairbrush and put it back down. "But I bet you couldn't even tell that Wu didn't have a valet. He always looks perfect. More perfect than me, that's for sure."

"Your Highness is quite nicely turned out today, if I do say so myself," Yoji reassured him. It was true. The Prince stood tall and strong, dressed in the customary black, gold and red. "I am sure that even Prince Hou-Ting would approve."

"Yoji, can you...would you help me? At the wedding, I mean? Next month? Naoki will be there and I want to..." he trailed off, that telltale face of his more than a little heartbreaking in its naked vulnerability. 

Yoji allowed his face to relax a bit from its usual neutral expression, meeting the Prince's amber eyes. "I quite understand, Your Highness. You need to look your absolute best. You may rely upon me to see to it."

His grin illuminated the Prince's entire face. "Thanks, Yoji. For everything. I wasn't all that sure about getting a valet, but you've made it easy for me. I'm glad Uncle Iroh chose you."

His smile in return was genuine. "As am I, Your Highness. As am I." He reached over with the clothesbrush and dusted off an imaginary piece of lint from his shoulder. "Now, then. Your history tutor is waiting, Your Highness. I would not like it said that I made you late."

"Oh believe me, it's Grandmama he'd tattle to, and she'd give me the I'm disappointed in you Sozui look, not you." The Prince made a rather stern face, which resembled the Firelord enough to almost surprise Yoji into a laugh. Almost. "I'll see you tonight!" The Prince started to dash towards the door; with a little glance backwards he stopped himself and then proceeded forward in a more acceptable, if still quite rapid, walk. The door slammed behind him and Yoji chuckled just a little. Well. He was still a work in progress.

He picked up the too small shirt and began to fold it. He was his Prince, now. He would devote his life to him, the way his great-great grandfather had done for Firelord Zuko when he had taken his rightful place on the throne. It was his honor to do his own ancestors proud. Prince Sozui would become the man his great-grandfather was if Yoji had anything to do with it. He put the shirt into a box of outgrown clothing he was collecting and went to fetch his mending kit. There was work to be done, after all.

Chapter 5: All In All: A Reckoning Finally Comes Due

Summary:

Archived from a Tumblr prompt for Maya Mononobe. Inspired by Sinéad O'Connor's cover of "All Apologies".

Chapter Text

A year had passed while the family was in official mourning for her brother before they returned to the Fire Nation court.

She had not wanted to come at all but Father had informed her that it was high time they looked into getting another husband for her. They meaning Father and Mother, of course. Her opinion was rarely wanted or needed, never mind solicited. She had sat in the inner courtyard of the family estate, staring out the windows towards the mountains in the distance as the servants packed her clothes and jewels and such while Mother scolded them endlessly, one of the younger maids sobbing softly as her hand crept up to cover the ugly red of Mother’s handprint across her face.

The next morning they left at dawn for the Capital City, a voyage that would take nearly an entire day, all told. She sat in the spacious stateroom of their yacht and stared out the porthole at the endless waves and the horizon that was always out of reach. Mother discussed several eligible sons but she didn’t listen, merely murmured the appropriate responses when called for. She would not be asked what she thought of them. Father and Mother would determine which son would benefit the family the most and would do their best to convince his parents of the same and when both families had agreed she would be told who her next husband would be and that would be that.

Not that anyone would ever quite match the Crown Prince, as Mother was fond of saying. Or perhaps not so very fond. Nevertheless she said it with great frequency.

At first Father and Mother had blamed her for what the Prince had done. Mother had grabbed her by her topknot and dragged her across the length of her bedroom that night, the night where she had stood there between him and the Firelord, his ring heavy on her finger, the Fire Butterfly coming down the stairs towards him, dressed in red and gold, bold and determined, merely reaching out her hand to destroy months’ worth of precarious negotiations. He had taken her hand and they had left together, leaving her on the dais with the Firelord, whose breath rasped in and out of her a few times before she controlled it again. The Firelord had formally apologized to Father and Mother, and, per protocol, had told her she was to keep the ring, the one with the fire ruby the size of her thumbnail.

That night, her scalp aching, she slid the ring off and put it into her jewelry box. Even Father and Mother would not dare to ask her for it. It was her consolation prize.

Later, when they took Hiro’s body for cremation, laying it out on the traditional silk-covered platform, Father and Mother both sobbing, she approached his body to say her final goodbye and she dropped the ring into the hole where what had passed for his heart had been, leaving it to burn with him.

The day after they arrived she went with Father and Mother to officially present themselves at court, the unrelieved white of their mourning exchanged for new, formal court clothing. The Firelord had welcomed them back with appropriate civility and the Crown Prince had bowed deeply towards her as well. She had no idea if he felt badly for her or not. It didn’t really matter; his bow informed the court that she was to be treated with respect, regardless of what was said behind her back. At least he had given her that much.

The Crown Princess was not present, which angered Father and Mother. Her cousin Kazana came to their home that afternoon, leaving behind her own husband and baby son, born not long after the Crown Prince’s heir, to drink tea and tell Mother all of the latest happenings at court. Kazana told them that the Crown Princess was still keeping up her bending school with the Firelord’s consent, bringing the older students to study in the Fire Nation while the younger ones stayed on with other training masters in Republic City. Like a tradeswoman, Kazana sneered and she let the rest of the conversation wash over her unheard as she stared out the window to the narrow street beyond.

The next morning she sat while her servants dressed her and brushed her hair until it shone before tying it up, forgoing the usual dabs of ambergris musk along her wrists and neck, readying her for the training ring. Her family had reserved a space three times a week with a firebending master at the royal training grounds to keep her skills honed, as was the custom of the nobility when residing in the cramped environs of the Caldera. As she was preparing to leave, Mother came to her and gave the usual speech about Mononobe honor in the Agni Kai and exhorted her to comport herself with excellence. The young housemaid scurried past, head down, but not fast enough to avoid the casual blow Mother sent her way, knocking the housemaid to the ground as the footman opened the door to escort her to the waiting sedan chair.

She was a better than average firebender and had always done well with her training. Hiro had been a rather poor firebender and had often shirked his lessons but the expectations had always been different for Elder Brother, after all. Nevertheless, she worked hard in the ring, getting a pleased nod from the Master before making her way to the washroom, the servant that had been sent to escort her left dozing in the sun.

There was laughter in the halls as she re-emerged, her hair tidied and the sweat carefully wiped away and she frowned. Laughter was not encouraged in the training dojo. A handful of students walked past her, sobering as they saw her, bowing properly and stepping aside to let her pass. Their uniform gi were red, a patch of a butterfly entwined with flame sewn over their hearts. She nearly stumbled to see it and froze as the Crown Princess came around the corner, a toddler in a matching gi on her hip.

The boy turned in his mother’s arms and grinned at her and she knew, as she had a year before, that there was simply no way this child was not the son of the Crown Prince, not with his dimples and the strong, narrow bones of his face lurking underneath the soft rounding of his baby fat. The eyes were his mother’s, however, and now there were two pairs of bright gold staring at her. The princess turned away first, asking one of the students to take the boy and telling them she would join them in the ring, kissing her son’s cheek and then the spot between his eyes as he crowed with laughter, waving his chubby hand at her as he was borne away.

“Lady Maya,” the princess said into the now empty silence of the hallway and inclined her head.

“Your Highness,” she replied, and bowed in return. The princess continued to stare before a small sigh escaped her. She was not a beautiful woman, the princess; striking, perhaps, but there was simply no comparison to the delicacy of her own classic Fire Nation looks. She was not particularly enamored of her own face but, like any other noble of the court, kept it as beautiful and youthful as possible through daily treatments. The princess already had lines around her eyes and her hair was kept cropped short in a style that contravened and very nearly mocked ancient Fire Nation tradition. There was a great deal of gossip and behind the scenes censure of the princess’s hair.

She rather liked it.

“I’m sorry, Lady Maya.” The princess bit her lip and sighed again. “I didn’t-” she cut herself off before drawing herself up and reciting the proper Fire Nation words. “Your brother’s loss was an honorable one.”

“My brother was a fool,” she replied, and the princess blinked. That was not how the script was meant to go.

“Uh,” the princess replied, and frowned slightly. “Right.” She stood there for a moment, seeming to battle herself, before taking a step forward and leaning closer. “I’m also sorry about the wedding. You didn’t deserve any of that. It was a shitty thing to do and I’m truly sorry.”

She watched the princess carefully. Her Republic City accent, which she took no pains to correct, was always a bit jarring and something which was also near-universally resented. Too foreign and too willful, especially in a woman who was clearly of Fire Nation ancestry, despite her upbringing. The princess kept her Republic City ways in defiance of the court and even after everything that had happened Maya had always respected her for it. It could not be easy. “I barely know the Crown Prince,” she found herself replying. “I had not spoken to him at all before the engagement was announced and only rarely thereafter. It was a blow to my family’s honor but not any personal loss for me.” She had no idea why she was telling the princess this. Perhaps because the princess had broken protocol first.

“Still shitty, though.” The princess glanced away before turning that golden gaze back at her. “And your brother…” she trailed off for a moment before taking another breath. “I did what I had to do but I didn’t want him to suffer.”

She held the princess’s gaze. “When I was twelve years old my brother first started to come to my room at night.” Her heart started to slam in her chest with the memory. “He knew that even if I told our parents what he forced me do I would not be believed. He was the favored son and I was and am still nothing more to them than a bargaining chip for status at court. I did not grieve when my brother died, Princess. In fact, I thank you.” A single tear tracked its way down her cheek and the princess brought out her own handkerchief to gently dab it away, a kindness that even her own mother had never performed for her.

“I’m sorry I didn’t make him suffer, then,” the princess said fiercely, and took her hand in hers to squeeze it tightly, and she returned it.

She didn’t know why she had told the princess this, her most closely guarded secret, one she thought even the servants might not know about, one that she had promised would die with Hiro, burned along with his cruel mouth and his thieving, grasping fingers. She had thought, once he was dead, that it would no longer matter. The release she felt in telling the princess, however, made it clear that it still did. “My parents will marry me again, Your Highness,” she told the princess. “My family’s honor will be fully restored. That is all that matters here.”

The princess moved even closer. “How old are you?” she asked, using the handkerchief to continue to wipe away any evidence of her emotion.

“I am twenty-one, Your Highness.” She had been seventeen when she was to marry the Crown Prince. A little young, but nothing too out of the ordinary, not for a well-regarded family like the Mononobes. The hope, of course, had been that she would provide the royal family with many heirs.

“Do you want to be married?”

She opened her mouth to answer and froze. No one had ever asked her that question before. “Not particularly,” she replied, another truth she had never bothered to utter aloud before. What was the point?

“What do you want, Maya? What do you really want?” the princess asked, drawing back to the proper distance. It was a good thing; while the hall was currently empty it would not be for long and the gossip over the princess merely seen speaking to her would be vicious. Being kind to her? The scandal would take months to die down and Mother would be beyond furious.

Her eyes drifted away to look through the window to the stone wall beyond. “To be away from here,” she whispered, and felt, rather than saw, the princess nod. She might have said something else but they were interrupted by footsteps ringing on the flagstones and the princess seemed to simply melt away, leaving her alone as her servant came nearly flying around the corner looking for her, eyes wide with dismay that she had left her sight even for a moment.

That night as she sat alone in her bedroom, dressed for bed, an unread book in her hand, something was shoved under her door. A thick envelope, sealed with gold wax and stamped with the chop of a dragon. She opened it and stared at the quantity of Republic City yuan inside, drawing out the folded letter and reading it with trembling fingers.

Nothing changes unless we change it ourselves, Lady Maya. If you call at the address below and ask for my stepmother, Qi, and give them this letter they will help you with whatever you need. This is not an apology. It is an opportunity. I hope you use it.

It was signed with the Princess’s name and included an address in Republic City. The page following it was a draft to Republic Bank for an amount that would, if spent wisely, keep her in subdued comfort for the rest of her life. There was also a ticket for a first class berth on an ocean liner leaving for Republic City the next afternoon.

She stood for a moment, papers held in her no longer trembling hands before sitting at her writing desk and taking up her own paper to write her own note, sealing it with her own wax and chop. She went to her closet and selected a few simple robes and undergarments, ones that she could get in and out of herself, folding them neatly into a bag she found in the back of her closet. Save a pendant that had been a cherished gift from her long-dead grandmother and her toiletries, she left everything else alone.

The next morning while her parents were still abed she called for the young housemaid who crept into her room, her bowed head not hiding the bruise blooming around her left eye. “Take this right now to the royal training grounds and tell them it is to be delivered to Her Highness Princess Naoki personally. Do not let anyone else deliver it for you, do you understand? Tell them it is from Lady Maya Mononobe and that you have been instructed to deliver it yourself. Do you understand?” The frightened girl nodded, taking the paper from her, shaking but not daring to argue. The note asked the Princess to take the girl into her own household. The princess did not owe her anything, of course, but she thought when she saw the terrified, battered child before her she would take her on without question. She hoped so, anyhow.

She did not leave a note for anyone else.

The last thing she did before she boarded the ship was to remove the ornate pin, jeweled in the pattern of the Mononobe family’s mangrove tree sigil, from her topknot, casting it into the choppy, dirty water of the harbor. She heard the splash of someone diving after it but ignored it as she walked up the gangplank. She wondered if the ship had a hairdresser aboard. She thought a bob would suit her, very well.

Chapter 6: A Covert Escape: Getting To Ember Island

Summary:

The terrified little housemaid of the Mononobe's has been in my head for years. I have so many stories to tell, but she finally put her small hand into mine and whispered for me to tell hers now, please.

Chapter Text

Sakiko stood in the corner, trembling so hard she could barely hold the letter that the young mistress had given her.

A woman had tried to take it from her when she arrived at the training grounds, but Sakiko, with courage she hadn't known she possessed, insisted that the note had to be given directly to The Dragon of the Court. The woman had pursed up her mouth in annoyance but had told her to wait.

She had been waiting for some time. Had they forgotten she was there? She didn't dare go back to the Mononobe home without delivering it. She wasn't sure what her mistress would do to her if she did, and merely thinking of it made her tremble even harder. Only the night before the housekeeper had taken a cane to her for breaking a tea cup; five blows over her robes and she could hardly stand straight this morning. Oh, what would she do if the Dragon of the Court didn't come? What would she do?

"You have a letter for me?"

Sakiko cried out in surprise and fear, the envelope tumbling out of her hands. She glanced up to see the woman from earlier, followed by another woman dressed in red gi, her hair cropped short. Her eyes were an unusual shade of yellow. She knew who it must be and she dropped to her knees, prostrating herself into a bow. "Your Highness," she tried to say, but only managed a croak.

"Come now, I don't bite," the Dragon of the Court said. She had a strange accent, slow and burred but with unexpectedly sharp edges to it.

"Yes, Your Highness," she managed. She thought she might vomit. 

"Is this the letter?" The Dragon's voice was quiet, almost kind, and she managed a nod, still prostrate upon the floor. "I'm just going to take it now." She heard the crack of the seal and then silence for a time before she heard The Dragon take in a sharp breath. "You're Sakiko?"

Oh, how could The Dragon know her name? What had the young mistress written? "Yes, Your Highness," she whispered. She had heard how The Dragon had killed the mistress and master's only son during an Agni Kai and her trembling intensified into shudders. What if she should anger The Dragon? She belonged to the Mononobe family but The Dragon was the wife of the Crown Prince, the mother of the Young Prince in turn. What were the Mononobes to her? The Dragon could kill her there on the slate floor and who would say a word?

"Let's get you up, hmmm?" The Dragon's voice was warmer now, despite the accent. "It's alright." To her horror, The Dragon went down to her knees next to her before putting a hand to her back and she cried out in pain before she could stop herself. "What the..." The Dragon carefully moved her fingers on her back and she whimpered again. "Sakiko, are you hurt?"

"No! No, Your Highness. I'm not, please, I'm not-"

"Shh," said The Dragon. "Everything is going to be alright. Chen, I'm going to take her to my office. Bring the healer, please. And keep it discreet." 

"Right away, Your Highness."

"Come, Sakiko. Slowly now, let's get you up." She began to weep as The Dragon brought her to her feet, her hands so gentle. "Shh-shh-shh now, you're safe here. Can you walk with me? Let me help you."

The Dragon, the opened letter still in her hand, held her arm in hers and led her down a long hallway, pulling a handkerchief out of a hidden pocket and handing it to her. She clutched it in her hand for a moment - she couldn't use the handkerchief of The Dragon, not her! - but The Dragon actually smiled at her and took it back, wiping at her face. She led her into a room full of morning sunlight, sitting her down into a chair in front of a desk. The Dragon then crouched in front of her and wiped at her face again, frowning as she saw the bruise around her eye. 

"The waterbending healer is coming. I'm going to ask her to take a look at you and do some healing, alright?"

She nodded, too afraid to speak. A waterbending healer! She had never even seen a waterbender before. 

The door opened and they both looked over. A man entered, tall, his hair trimmed short, liberally streaked with gray. "Naoki, Juziya asked me if - ah! Pardon, I should have knocked." He nodded at her and her breath caught in her throat as she scrambled off the chair and threw herself onto the floor.

"Raava in a teapot, Uncle. Help me get her up, the healer's coming. I need to talk to you about her."

The next minutes were hazy in her mind. Prince Iroh - whom she knew from the portrait of the Imperial Family that hung in every home - did help her up off the floor and he was kind as well, smiling at her as the healer entered and he and The Dragon left her alone in the office with the woman. The healer asked her many questions and helped her to loosen up her robe, sliding it down and using glowing water to soothe along her back and around her eye. The healer also spent some time on her shin, where her Mistress had kicked her for being in the way the week before. She felt better when the woman had finished, some of the pain receding. The healer helped her to redress and then gave her a glass of water to drink as she went out to speak to The Dragon.

The Dragon returned, a few minutes later, pulling another chair close to hers and sitting down. She tried to bow again but The Dragon put a hand to her arm. "Sakiko, it's not necessary to bow again. I need to talk to you about the letter, and I need you to be honest with me, okay?" The Dragon smiled at her. "Please don't be afraid."

She was terrified, but she managed a nod.

"Lady Maya tells me that you haven't been employed by her family very long. Is that correct?"

She swallowed and whispered. "Five months, Your Highness."

"I see." The Dragon frowned slightly. "How old are you?"

"I'm..." she thought about what she should answer. By law in the Fire Nation you could not apprentice until you were sixteen but she'd lied about her age. Many people in service did. The Dragon smiled again.

"It's okay, Sakiko. You can be honest. I suspect you aren't quite sixteen yet, yes? You won't get into any trouble for it, I promise."

She stared down at her feet. Could The Dragon know if she were lying? There were many stories about her. "I'm fourteen, Your Highness," she mumbled, too afraid to lie.

"Of course you are," The Dragon murmured, and squeezed her hand. "Do you have family? By that I mean, is there family you'd like to go home to?"

She shook her head slowly. Her mother had died not long after her youngest brother had been born seven years ago and as soon as the rest of them had reached apprentice age - or could at least pass for it - her father had sent them off. He'd sent her two younger brothers off to distant relatives to raise when her mother had died; she had never seen them since. The only one left at home was her oldest brother, who worked on the fishing boat with her father. 

"Right. Next question. Is there anything of yours that you would like from the Mononobe's?"

She was confused. "I don't understand, Your Highness."

"I mean anything personal. Belongings, that sort of thing."

"No, Your Highness. Lady Mononobe doesn't allow that." She shyly pointed to the carved wooden pin that held her own topknot up. "This was my mother's, but nobody ever asked so I never said." Would The Dragon insist on taking it? The housekeeper at the Mononobe estate had taken a silver bracelet from another of the new housemaids when she had arrived and had said that was the rule; however, the housekeeper had also worn the bracelet later, so she kept her mouth shut about her own pin. Even a scullery maid was allowed a simple pin for her hair.

"I'll just bet she doesn't," muttered The Dragon with a grimace. "So is there any reason you would need to go back there? To say goodbye to anyone, or...?" The Dragon trailed off, raising one eyebrow. Again she shook her head. She liked one of the scullery maids enough to say hello to, but not enough to know her, really. She had started herself as a scullery maid until Lady Mononobe had gone to inspect the new staff and had said she was pretty enough to be seen outside of the kitchens, and had ordered the housekeeper to train her. She had never hoped that she could be trained that way. She had been excited at first. Until she started making mistakes.

Then she had wished she could go back to the kitchen, where the cook bellowed, but rarely struck.

"Do you know what the letter said?" At yet another shake of her head The Dragon sighed. "Lady Maya asked me if I could take you into my household. She was worried about you."

She was so astonished she forgot who she was speaking to. "Lady Maya? She said that?" She hadn't even realized that the young mistress had known her name!

"She did, yes." The Dragon watched her for a moment. "Sakiko, it's clear you're being mistreated. Normally you can't just poach staff from someone else, but if my father can do it, then I can do it." The Dragon laughed a little at this, although she had no idea why. "I don't think I can keep you here at the palace, though. You aren't old enough or noble enough or experienced enough to be a lady-in-waiting. Not to mention it could get pretty damn sticky if the Mononobes got wind of it." Here The Dragon grimaced and rolled her eyes. "I think Lady Maya would have taken you with her, but she didn't have enough time to make any arrangements." She wasn't sure what The Dragon meant, but said nothing. The Dragon continued to gaze at her. "What I would like to do, if you are willing, is to send you to my parents' home on Ember Island." The Dragon leaned in. "Would you like that? To live on Ember Island?"

Her mouth opened but she couldn't think of what to say. The Dragon was offering her a job? "I've never been to Ember Island."

Suddenly The Dragon smiled - a real smile, not merely moving her lips - and her eyes crinkled up at the corners in a friendly way, her face radiating pleasure. She was still The Dragon, but no longer frightening when she smiled like that. "You'll love it. I promise." The Dragon stood and took her up with her. "If you have nothing at the Mononobes and no one to say goodbye to, then I'd like to go as soon as possible. The less gossip there is about this, the better. Come with me."

The Dragon led her by the elbow through a maze of corridors and then out to a small courtyard, dusty with abandonment. Prince Iroh was waiting there, dressed in a long, hooded coat, goggles shoved up on his head.

"Thank you, Uncle. I need to be seen here today in case there's going to be any fallout."

The prince merely grinned at that. "Oh, there's going to be fallout, but hopefully we can keep your name out of it. You head on back now, leave her with me. I'll get her there, safe and sound." He handed her over a parcel. "Sakiko, is it? Put these on." He leaned down and kissed The Dragon on her cheek. "Go on, before you're missed."

She pulled out a similar coat and goggles from the parcel, tugging on the coat and trying to put her goggles on like the prince, her fingers clumsy. The Dragon reached over and smoothed down the collar of the coat, laughing a little as the prince gave her a playful push. "I'm going, Uncle! I'm going. Sakiko, I will see you soon. Don't be afraid." A last smile and then The Dragon took off at a run, disappearing back into the palace.

"You and I need to be quick, now. Naoki says you've been injured?" At her nod the prince tsked. "I don't think much of people who beat children. Just as well Sozui got out of that marriage. Well, we'll just have to do our best." With that he took her hand and began to quickly walk across the courtyard and up to a bricked wall, where he pressed a series of bricks in a certain order until a small door swung open into a smaller, darker hallway beyond. "Hidden passageways, you know. In case the family needed to escape. Pre-Sozin, my grandfather found out about them through his Uncle Iroh, not that I know how he found out about them. Perhaps a White Lotus thing. Watch your step, now!" He handed her down a flight of stairs and kept going, chattering at her about his family as if she knew them, as if they were any other family in the world. She nearly forgot her fear, listening to him. Later, she realized he was doing it on purpose.

It was a kindness she could have never expected from a prince.

They went deeper and deeper, down and down, the prince joking that it was a good thing they wouldn't have to return that way, as he was too old to go back up the stairs. She wasn't sure how old he was, but he was never winded, and only slowed down to help her, keeping the flame from his hand steady so they could see in the dark. Finally, when she thought her legs would simply collapse under her from exhaustion, they came out of the side of the extinct volcano that made up the caldera, the roar of the surf suddenly loud after all the silence of the tunnels. 

A heap of gold was mounded in the middle of the ledge that extended out over the ocean; before she had time to do more than wonder if the entire royal family simply kept their riches outside like this the heap moved, resolving itself into the actual gold dragon herself. Her knees refused to support her and she swayed, only held up by the prince's quick grab at her.

"May I introduce you? This is Hemadri. Hemadri, this is Sakiko."

<<Do not be afraid, little hatchling. I will not eat you.>> The voice was somehow in her head and she shrieked, throwing her arms around the prince.

"Now, now, nothing to be afraid of." The prince patted her back. "It's fine. You don't need to be scared of her. Yes, I know she's hurt, Naoki already had the healer in to see her." The prince continued to pat her. "Yes, like Naoki said. We're going to take her to Wu's place." 

It took her a moment to understand that the prince was speaking to the dragon, not her. "She won't eat me?" she whispered, and the prince, to her utter amazement, pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"No, she won't. And she asked me to tell you she's sorry for frightening you. She didn't mean to."

She took in a deep breath and then untangled herself from the prince. "My honor to meet you," she said, her voice wavering and small as she shakily bowed to the dragon.

<<We will take you somewhere safe. Somewhere where no one hurts little hatchlings.>> A puff of smoke was ejected out of the dragon's nostrils. <<Mononobes.>> The dragon's tone was so disgusted that she actually giggled.

"Ah, that's what I like to hear." The prince smiled at her again. "Do you think you can manage to ride on her?"

She stared at the golden dragon, who returned her stare. <<I will not let you fall.>> Swallowing deeply, she nodded.

"Good," The prince said, buttoning up his jacket, nodding for her to do the same with her own. "It can get cold up there. It's not far, but even so." The prince reached over to adjust her goggles down over her eyes and then nodded. "Alright you lump, get down here so I can get her up, she's not a bender, she can't just firejet to you." As the dragon lowered herself the prince held out his hand. "All aboard!"

The prince helped her up the dragon's side and she sat there, on a leather saddle, the prince directly behind her, securing her with a pair of straps before wrapping his arms around her. "We'll keep you strapped in, just in case. But Naoki takes the baby up all the time, it's perfectly safe. We're ready when you are, Hemadri."

"Don't you need reins?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

<<I steer myself, little one. Hold on now!>>

The dragon's muscles bunched up and they were suddenly in the air, the take off so smooth that the saddle hardly moved. She gasped as the gold wings on either side pumped hard and angled for the air currents; as they caught an updraft a shout of joy came from her, her hands automatically flinging themselves wide. The prince chuckled behind her and patted at the side of her waist where he held her.

"Pretty good, hmmm?" he said, and she merely cried out again, her stomach swooping delightfully.

The trip took less than an hour, the dragon skimming low to the water at one point so she could see a pod of flying dolphin fish skipping through the waves as she leaned over, even daring to pet one that jumped high in the air, the prince reassuring her that they were gentle creatures, nothing at all to fear. He told her a few stories about his life at sea as a sailor in the Navy, drawing a few timid questions out of her that he easily answered, keeping his hands close around her waist. Sometimes men were to be feared when they were that close but he never made her fear, not once.

She was sorry as the dragon angled her way down to an island, finally landing on a beach that was sheltered with rocks to one side. "All ashore who's coming ashore," the prince joked, and helped her slide down the side, taking the goggles and jacket from her. He put a hand to her shoulder then, and met her eyes.

"I'm going to introduce you to Miwa. She's the majordomo here at the house, which is owned by Naoki's father, Prince Wu. The family lives in Republic City, this is their holiday home." His fingers tightened a little on her. "I'll tell Miwa what's going on, but for anyone else that asks, Naoki sent you here as a favor to your family." His gaze was serious. "No mentioning the Mononobes. Do you understand?"

She nodded. She did understand. "Yes, Your Highness."

He smiled. "Good. Ah, and here is Miwa herself."

A handsome middle-aged woman was walking down the beach, wearing some sort of wrapped, strapless dress with a length of cloth over one shoulder in a style that Sakiko had never seen before, her feet bare. She bowed gracefully. "Your Highness. Hemadri. I was not expecting you."

"I know you weren't and I'm sorry. It was a last minute thing. This is Sakiko."

She bowed at the majordomo, her stomach knotting up. "Ma'am."

"Good morning, Sakiko." She glanced up to see the woman gazing at her face.

"Miwa, there's been a situation, and Naoki has sent Sakiko here to you. I can explain, and she wrote you a quick letter." The prince took a letter from his jacket pocket and handed it over.

"Thank you, Your Highness. Are you staying?"

"I have to get back, unfortunately."

"At least I can give you some tea."

"I would not turn it down." The prince winked at the majordomo, who smiled in return.

"Sakiko, come along. Hemadri, is there anything you need? Very good, then." The majordomo put a hand to her back and she took in a quick breath. "Are you injured here as well?" the woman said quietly, and she nodded, miserable. It wasn't a good beginning. The mistress's housekeeper would have been furious with her if she had admitted it. 

"Naoki had a healer at her but she could probably use another session," the prince said, and the majordomo took her arm instead, walking her around the bluff to a large home, several stories built up high on stilts, its roofs in conical shapes, of a reddish wood that gleamed. There were many windows that were opened to terraces, looking out over the sea. She had never seen anything like it.

"It's beautiful," she whispered, and the majordomo smiled. 

"It is, yes. Banyat!" The majordomo waved at a gangly boy, about her own age, who had a pair of pruning shears in his hands and no shirt or shoes of any kind. "Come here and take Sakiko to the kitchen, tell Cook to give her something to eat and to prepare a tea tray for His Highness."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, putting the shears down before loping over their direction. He bowed at the prince, who inclined his head in return.

The majordomo raised her eyebrows at the boy. "I suppose you'll tell Cook I said to give you another breakfast as well."

The boy widened his eyes. "I would never!"

"Rascal," the majordomo said, with obvious fondness. "And while you're at it, tell Cook I need the healer, ask him to send someone for him."

"Come on, Sakiko," the boy said, grabbing her hand and tugging her along. 

"Will the cook mind?"

"Will he mind what?" The boy led her around to the back of the house, taking her up a flight of steps.

"Giving me a meal when it isn't mealtime."

The boy looked at her with some confusion. "Why would he mind?" 

"I...I don't know," she said, not knowing what to make of this strange place, where people smiled and didn't shout.

"COOK!" the boy shouted, and a very thin man looked up from where he was chopping something to frown.

"How many times have I told you, boy, stop yelling in my kitchen!"

"Cook, this is Sakiko and Mother said to give her something to eat and also Prince Iroh is here and for you to prepare a tea tray for him and also to send someone for the healer for Sakiko and can I have one of those buns- aaaah!" Banyat danced out of the way as the cook yanked a tray out from under his hands. Banyat was the majordomo's son? He looked nothing like her.

"Don't you touch those, they're for lunch! Go and fill that endless hole you call a stomach with some of the leftover soup from breakfast. Now then." The cook turned his attention back to her. "Sakiko is it? Take a seat and let me get you something."

"Don't forget the healer," Banyat said, shoveling soup into first a bowl and then his mouth.

"I haven't forgotten, because you're going to go and fetch him."

"Awww! Send Hiran!"

"I'm sending you, and you mind you don't dawdle." The cook took a bun from the tray and tossed it at Banyat. "Go on now, get going. You can have another one when you get back. And then you can do your schoolwork." As he spoke he put together a bowl of the soup as well a plate of something that looked odd but smelled delicious, and poured her a cup of tea. "So tell me, Sakiko, what brings you here?"

"I'm to work here," she said, shyly. He motioned at her tea, his hands busy putting together another tray. She took a sip and was shocked to realize that the tea was very cold.

"Are you now? Kitchen or housemaid?"

"I've just started training as a housemaid."

"Miwa will be happy about that, we're going to lose one of our permanent housemaids next month, she's getting married and moving off-island. You finish that up and relax, I'll just take this up. Be back in two shakes of a goat gorilla's tail." He walked briskly out of the kitchen. He seemed rather fierce - he had very large and bushy eyebrows, and a sour expression, and was constantly in motion - but the boy Banyat clearly hadn't been afraid of him. And the soup was very good.

The healer came, took her into yet another office, and did some work on her face and back. He was a waterhealer as well, and she marveled at his dark skin and long braids, strung through with beads. He frowned at her leg, however, shaking his head and muttering to himself in some sort of dialect she couldn't understand before manipulating her leg painfully, reassuring her when she cried out as he wrapped it up. As he was finishing, Miwa joined them, setting a glass of water down next to her.

"The bruising on her face and back will heal, I've done some work on it. There was a cut from what I am assuming was a ring on her face, but I'll leave an ointment for it and it shouldn't scar. The skin wasn't broken on her back, thankfully." The healer frowned again. "The shin, though. A kick, yes?" At her nod, his frown deepened. "There was a slight fracture there, and she's been walking on it, which hasn't helped. I've stabilized it and I want her off of it for the next two weeks, at least. Can you get her a cane for when she needs to walk?"

"Of course," Miwa replied.

"But only if she needs to. I want her off of it, and I want it elevated. I'll be back tomorrow to check on it and do some further healing. I'll need to reverse the damage that's been done. If she does as she's told and stays off of it then it'll heal straight." He returned his attention to her. "I'm sure it's been painful. Pain is our body's way of telling us that something is wrong and needs to be addressed. Ignoring it never ends well. I want you to take this for your relief." He handed her a packet of pills. "If the pain worsens for any reason I need to be sent for. Do you understand? This is the rest of your life we are talking about. Unless you want the damage to be permanent, then you need to care for it now."

"I will ensure that she rests and cares for it properly," Miwa said, and the healer nodded.

"Tomorrow, then." The healer bowed at the both of them, and then left.

She burst into tears. "Ma'am, ma'am, I can work! I can work!"

Miwa sat next to her and put an arm around her. "I've put you in a room with Jitra. She's going to be leaving next month to be married, and I'm hoping you can eventually take on her duties."

"Ma'am, I'm a terrible housemaid! I'm not trained!"

Miwa, to her surprise, only chuckled. "Well, and so were we all, at one time. Come now, wipe those tears and take the pill the healer left. In a few moments I'll get Lamyai to carry you up to your room. She's the head groundskeeper, and Banyat's other mother."

"Banyat has two mothers?"

Miwa nodded. "He does, although Lamyai is his birth mother. Now. You are only fourteen, Princess Naoki tells me, so once the leg allows it, you need to be re-enrolled in school." At her protest Miwa held up a hand. "You can do as Banyat does, he goes to school and then does work around here in the evenings and on his free days, like today. There's no reason you can't finish your schooling and pick up some training as you go. You read and write, I assume?" At her nod Miwa continued. "Good. That's good. I'm glad your education wasn't completely neglected."

"But ma'am! How will I..." she trailed off, tears spilling onto her cheeks. "Ma'am, I don't have any money."

"Princess Naoki told me that she wants you enrolled in school and that you are to live here under my supervision. That's all you need to know for now. You will have your room and board and a small stipend, we'll talk more about it later." Miwa handed her a handkerchief and motioned at her face and she obediently wiped at it.

"But why...ma'am, The Drag-uh, I mean, the princess doesn't know me, she'd never even met me before today."

"Let's just say that her royal father is a known philanthropist, especially when it comes to children. She is merely carrying on family tradition, I believe." Miwa smiled to herself before meeting her eyes again. "Now. Let me tell you a little about where you are to be living. Prince Wu Hou-Ting is the owner of this house. He is the former king of the former Earth Kingdom, and Princess Naoki's father. This is their holiday home, so they are not always in residence. We have a small permanent staff that is here year round and I hire some locals as necessary when the family is visiting. Prince Wu is a very kind man, and so long as things are run well and beneath his notice, he's happy to leave it at that. Prince Wu is quite generous." Miwa chuckled. "To a fault, perhaps. The prince has two spouses, Prince Consort Mako and Royal Consort Qi and four adult children. The three eldest children are married and both Princess Naoki and Princess Meili have children. There is also the Royal Consort's mother, Lady Beifong, and her consort, Lozan." Miwa patted her knee. "Don't look so worried. You'll get to know everyone, and I'm sure the rest of the staff will fill you in. However, I think you will find that life here on Ember Island is more relaxed than what you have been used to, working on a noble estate and in the Caldera."

"But I can't work at all right now, ma'am!"

Miwa reached out and cupped her chin. "That's not your fault, Sakiko. And so we are clear, there is no physical punishment in this house. Prince Wu would never stand for it, and neither do I. When you are healed properly and are able to return to school then I expect you to learn and work hard and do your best. You will make mistakes in the beginning, because you are learning. But in time, if you dedicate yourself, you will do well." Miwa took her hand back. "For upper permanent staff we have myself, Cook, Lamyai and Jiro, who sees to the upkeep of the house itself. We have a cook's assistant and a scullery boy, two footmen and two housemaids and of course Banyat works with his mother and Jiro, as needed. And as I said, we hire locals as necessary when the family is in residence."

She was trying to put this all together when a knock came at the door and a round-faced woman in her early twenties entered, dressed in nothing but a brightly-colored wrap around her chest and short, baggy trousers like Banyat's, her feet bare as well. Only the cook and the healer had been wearing shoes, and those were sandals. "Cook said we've a new addition? Oh! There you must be!" She laughed. "Banyat said you were pretty and he wasn't joking, eh?"

She felt her face heat up as Miwa shook her head and smiled.

"Sakiko, meet Zeika, our other housemaid. Zeika, Sakiko has an injured leg and must keep off it for a time, and she'll be finishing school while also learning some housekeeping. Once Jitra leaves I'll need to hire another permanent housemaid. In the meanwhile, I hope you'll help Sakiko learn the ropes."

"Can't learn any younger," the woman said cheerfully. "Cook says it's time for lunch, and sent me for you." 

"Can you send either Lamyai or Jiro up to carry her up to her bedroom for a rest? I've put her into the other bed in Jitra's room. The healer wants her off the leg completely. Oh, and can you find her something to wear? She's only got what she has on, and it's far too warm."

"Yes, ma'am, I'm on my way." Zeika winked at her. "You can sit next to me at dinner, I know all the best gossip!" She walked back out the door, and Miwa scoffed.

"She's not exaggerating. If it's happening on the Island, Zeika knows about it. Which can come in very handy, at times." Miwa picked up the glass and handed it to her. "Swallow the pill, please. We'll need to get you outfitted, what you're wearing isn't appropriate. It's much warmer here than in the Caldera, and you're already too hot, I can see. When Prince Wu is in residence we have more formal clothing and shoes to wear but otherwise we dress for comfort in the heat." Miwa's mouth twitched. "Prince Wu is not overly fond of our local style of clothing. Thus the uniforms. Thankfully, his highness allowed me to have the design of them. But we can go into all of that later. Now you can get changed into whatever Zeika finds for you, and then I want you to rest today. Tomorrow the healer will return and we'll see what we see."

"Ma'am?" She took a deep breath. Would the majordomo be angry with her for her impertinence?

"Yes?" Miwa nodded encouragingly. "You can ask questions here, Sakiko."

"It's just," she closed her eyes, breathed again, and blurted it out. "I have an older sister, Arisu, she's twenty. Really twenty, I mean. She left school early like I did but she can still read and write. And she's very good at her work, ma'am. She's a housemaid for a rich family, not noble but they've money and I haven't seen her in two years but we write and ma'am, if you need a good housemaid, she's a good one, I promise." She faltered, afraid she'd said too much. "If you don't have anyone else in mind, I mean, please. Ma'am."

Miwa was watching her carefully. "She doesn't work for the Mononobes?"

"No ma'am."

"Because we need to steer clear of the Mononobes for a time. Because of you and...well. The less said the better. But if your sister is a good housemaid and she doesn't belong to a noble family then we can write to her, see if she is interested. Would you like that?"

"Oh ma'am," she said, and then she was crying again.

"Now, now," Miwa said, and patted her shoulder. "You've had a very long day, and I'm sure you're exhausted. Tomorrow you can give me her address and we'll see what we can do." 

"But ma'am, what if the Mononobes come to their holiday home here? What if they should see me?"

To her very great surprise, Miwa started to laugh. "I don't think that's a problem. You see, this home?" She gestured around. "Prince Wu didn't build it, although he did renovate it, quite extensively, for all intents and purposes it was nearly a brand new house by the time it was done. But what he really wanted it for was the location, on the sea like this and close to the Firelord's holiday home. He bought it from a noble family who was in some fairly dire financial straights at the time, thanks to some extremely poor mishandling of the family's estate by the current patriarch's father. That family doesn't have a home on Ember Island any longer." To her further shock, Miwa winked at her. "Guess which family that was?" As her mouth dropped open in comprehension, Miwa stood and took the now empty glass out of her hand. "Welcome to Ember Island, Sakiko."

Chapter 7: An Altered Agenda: The Firelord and her Successor

Summary:

The image of a very small Lozan, running in his bare feet through the gardens of the Fire Nation Palace, has been in my head for a long time. Here's the ficlet that I finally wrote about it.

Chapter Text

It was the sound of his iguana parrot, Akira, that woke him that morning. Great-Uncle Iroh had given Akira to him while he was still just an egg and Hemadri had kept him nice and warm until he had hatched right into Zan's hands, very small and scared. Wake up, wake up, Akira called, over and over again, until he jumped out of bed and ran to his cage, pulling off the cover and giving Akira a treat. 

"I'm awake," he said, and Akira bobbed his head up and down until he opened the cage and let him out. Papa had been afraid Akira would fly away through one of the open doors to the garden but he never did. Great-Uncle said that once iguana parrots bonded to their owners they'd never leave and now Akira was his very best friend. Akira was still small and growing, just like him, and what he liked best was to ride around on Zan's shoulder. Sometimes he also liked to go into the garden and have a little bath in the fountain there and then he'd sit on his favorite tree, sunning himself and making his feathers look nice and tidy.

Great-Uncle said that it was best that babies were with their mothers but he had gotten Akira's egg from some pirates and his mother was gone. So Zan and Hemadri took care of him instead.

He let Akira scramble up to the top of his shoulder, his claws digging a little bit into the fabric of his pajamas and his long tail curled loosely around his neck and then they ran through their garden, skipping along the stone paths until they came to Hemadri's pavilion. "Good morning, Hemadri!"

Hemadri opened one eye and rumbled a little in her throat. Hatchlings, she said into his mind, and blew a hot, smoky breath over the both of them before closing her eye and going back to sleep. That was her way of saying good morning. Hemadri was like Mama, neither one of them liked to wake up early, even though Mama usually did because she had her school or some sort of court business. But when they were visiting Ember Island Mama and Hemadri would always sleep in while he and Papa would go out on the beach, looking for seashells and pieces of wood that were washed up on the shore. Sometimes he found bits of smooth glass and stones and he would bring the very best ones home with him to keep in a bowl in his bedroom here in the Palace. On Ember Island Papa would always take tea for Mama when she finally woke up and sit on the side of their bed and smile at her until Mama smiled back and nobody had to be in a hurry to do anything.

His Mama was the Dragon of the Court and the Fire Butterfly and the oldest Hou-Ting princess and one of the only two combustionbenders alive as well as the best firebender in the world but she was also just his Mama and he loved her. Just like he loved his Papa, who was a Prince of the Fire Nation and was known as the Firelord's Right Hand. They were all these things and outside of their own wing he had to refer to them as Mother and Father and be very polite and bow and mind all of his manners but when they were at home Mama sang funny songs that she made up on the spot and pretended to mop the floor with his upside-down head and Papa read him many books that were about adventures and had practice swordfights with him across the floor and always let him win. He was only five years old but he already understood that Crown Prince Lozan wasn't the same as Zan, who liked to play with boats in his bathtub and spit melon seeds for Akira to catch in midair and eat.

Their two night guards were standing next to the gate that led into Auntie Ziya's wing of the palace. "Good morning, Sir Botan! Good morning, Sir Jiro!"

"Your Highness," said Sir Botan with a very proper bow and Sir Jiro bowed too but he also winked at him and that made him happy.

He skipped through Auntie Ziya's garden, calling a good morning to her gardeners who were out early before it got too hot. Auntie's favorite flowers were frangipanis and she had them everywhere in her garden and they smelled so good. He asked her once why they were her favorite and she told him that when she had been a little girl, living in the countryside, they had them everywhere as well and it reminded her of that time. Papa didn't remember that time, he was very small when Great-Grandmama brought him to the Palace to live. Zan had been to that house once to visit his grandfather but it made Papa very sad and so now Grandfather came to visit them at the Palace instead. His Grandfather was a very nice man and knew many things but he did not come to visit very often, not like Gumpa and Gumpy and Gumma, who came to visit all the time at the Palace and whose house on Ember Island was very close to theirs. Great-GrandLin and Great-GrandLo lived there now during the winters and Mama's whole family would go to Ember Island for holidays, Auntie M and Auntie S and Uncle Zhi and all the uncles and cousins and sometimes even Great-Uncle Bo and Great-Auntie Opal and those cousins as well. Sometimes he and Mama would also visit Gumpa's home in Republic City and he loved that too, even though Gumpa used to be a King and was still a Prince he was always just Zan there and nobody bowed at him and he and cousin Tarra would hold hands and run through the garden and talk to Bob who was a spirit that lived there, too. There weren't any spirits that lived at the Palace.

He used to go into Auntie Ziya's bedroom through the big terrace door that led to the garden but once when he did that he found Auntie there with Lady Uma, Auntie's head lady-in-waiting, they were in Auntie's bed and holding each other and kissing, like Mama and Papa did sometimes. Auntie wasn't angry at him but she told him next time to please come in the door from her hallway and let one of her other ladies announce him. He asked her why she didn't marry Lady Uma - who Zan liked very much, she was round everywhere and smiled a lot and was very kind and funny and always had candy for him, hidden away in her robes - but Auntie told him, very solemnly, that Papa would explain. Papa took him aside that night and told him that Auntie and Lady Uma loved each other but that they couldn't get married because of Grownup Reasons that he would understand when he was older and that Papa and Mama and Great-Uncle Iroh and Great-Auntie Ursa knew and it was okay, but that it wasn't something they discussed with anyone else outside of their small family because people might be very mean to Auntie and maybe even try to make Lady Uma leave the Palace or make Auntie get married to someone else younger so her wife could have babies who would then be the Crown Prince or Princess instead of him! Which would be terrible! Auntie would be so sad and so would he! So he didn't say anything to anyone, not even Akira.

But he thought it was very awful that Auntie couldn't be anyone else but the Firelord outside of her wing of the Palace or at Ember Island. He could never call her Auntie Ziya anywhere else, she was always Firelord and he had to bow and be especially proper and never laugh or hold her hand or get any of her very good hugs. When she was the Firelord she wore stiff pointy clothes and never smiled and was a little scary. But then of course she was just his Auntie Ziya, who loved him and scolded Great-Uncle Iroh for giving him cookies and answered all of his questions and listened to him when he told her things.

Slap slap slap went his bare feet on the marble of the floor as he ran into the hallway and it was Lady Shan at Auntie's door and he told her good morning and she smiled and bowed at him and then announced him as he ran into Auntie's bedroom, carefully taking Akira off of his shoulder and putting him onto the perch Auntie had put in her room for him. Auntie was sitting in bed, in just her nightclothes and her hair braided to the side, with glasses on her nose and her chin all bristly as she read some documents as she sipped her tea. She looked up and smiled at him, though, and then laughed and held her teacup away as he bounced up to her bed.

"Good morning, Auntie Ziya! Good morning, Lady Uma!" 

Lady Uma smiled at him, looking up from one of Auntie's jewelry boxes where she was pulling out different earrings. "Good morning, Zan," she said, and laughed. "Those feet look pretty dirty to me."

"Ooops, sorry!" He leapt back off of Auntie's bed and ran to her bathroom, quickly rinsing off his feet and then stomping all over a towel that someone - probably Lady Uma - had left on the floor for him.

"This would not be a problem if you wore slippers, you know." Auntie was making a stern face at him but it wasn't really her stern face, just the one she did when she was making fun.

"But then my feet wouldn't be able to say good morning to the ground!" He jumped back up to the bed and snuggled up into the arm that Auntie held out for him. "That's what Auntie S says, anyhow."

Auntie shook her head, but she was smiling. "Your Auntie Sayuri speaks a lot of nonsense." She glanced over as Lady Shan brought over a large tray and settled it on the bed. It had a teapot and two cups and plenty of breakfast on it. "Thank you."

Lady Shan bowed and smiled. "Your Majesty, Your Highness." She went back outside to stand at the door. Lady Shan was a different kind of lady-in-waiting than Lady Uma. She was a samurai like Sir Botan and Sir Jiro and she helped keep Auntie safe.

"Come and get some tea, Uma," Auntie said, putting her own cup down to pour tea into the other cups, handing one to him and one to Lady Uma.

"What's on our agenda today?" he asked Auntie, and she kissed the side of his head as he took up a spoon for some jook.

"Well. There has been some sort of disease affecting the koalasheep on one of the smaller islands and I sent someone to look into it and report back to me." Auntie took the bowl of soup that Lady Uma handed her. 

"Oh." He moved his spoon as Lady Uma put some more pickled cabbage into his jook and ruffled his hair. "Is that important?"

"Yes." Auntie drank some of her soup. "Not only does the Fire Nation need the wool and the meat from those animals but some of it is exported as well. If the koalasheep are sick and dying, what does that mean?"

He thought about this while he chewed on his cabbage. "We won't get that money?"

"That's correct." Auntie handed him a napkin. "And what else?"

"People won't have wool for clothes or things to eat?"

"Yes, that's right. It also means that the Crown must help the koalasheep farmers who are losing money and losing their stock."

"What's stock?"

"That's what they call animals they farm," Lady Uma said, putting five wontons into Auntie's soup and giving her a look. "Eat, Juziya." Lady Uma could call her Juziya when they were in Auntie's rooms but only then. Otherwise she was Firelord to Lady Uma, too.

"Yes, yes, I'm eating, don't fuss." Auntie waved her spoon at Lady Uma, who tsked right back at her. "When our people experience hardship due to sickness or weather or other things, the Crown has to help them. Uma, I'm not going to eat if you don't sit down and eat as well."

Lady Uma sighed, but she sat down next to the bed and took the bowl of soup that Auntie gave her. Hers had wontons in it as well.

"Did the koalasheep all die?"

Auntie frowned. "Not all of them, but too many of them have. We're still not sure what causes the disease, but we do know it spreads. The koalasheep that are left have to be isolated. Put apart from each other," she added, as he opened his mouth to ask what that word meant. "It's a very bad situation and I'm hoping they have learned more about it and can tell me today. I will probably have to send your father to go and meet with the island's governor, however."

Looks good, said Akira, stretching over towards the bed, bobbing his head up and down. Looks good. That's what Akira would say when he wanted to eat something, he had learned it from Great-Uncle. Lady Uma got up and gave him a a slice of melon. Akira loved melon.

"That animal is spoiled," Auntie said, shaking her head. "Uma, you're spoiling it." Lady Uma just laughed, however, and gave Akira another melon slice, scratching along his head the way Akira liked to be scratched.

"And what's on your agenda today, Zan?" Lady Uma gave him an encouraging smile. They did this every morning, asked each other what their agendas were.

"Well, I have firebending training with Mama in the morning and then etiquette for an hour with Lord Kato in the afternoon and then a dance lesson after that." He turned back to his aunt. "Will Papa really have to go? For how long?"

"Not too long, I hope. He needs to find out what kind of help the island needs from us so we can allocate the money for it. That means figure out what money needs to be spent where."

His shoulders slumped. "I hate it when Papa has to go away."

"I know. I don't like it either. But even though we miss him, I need someone I can trust to help me with these things." She tipped his chin up with her fingers. "As the Firelord, where is my place?"

He met Auntie's eyes. They were a bright amber color, just like Papa's. He and Mama had yellow eyes, but he never saw anyone else with eyes their color. "Your place is here, where you can serve your people best. Just like mine will be someday."

"Yes. Exactly." Auntie cupped his chin in her hand. "I know it's difficult sometimes." He nodded. "When you are older, perhaps you can go with your father on some of these trips."

He sat all the way up. "Really? Truly?" 

"When you are older," Auntie said, and kissed him between his eyes. She glanced over at Lady Uma, who was giving Akira another melon slice. "And what is on your agenda today? Besides spoiling that animal, that is."

Lady Uma merely laughed again. She knew Auntie was just teasing her. "First I need to get a certain little boy ready for his firebending lessons. And then I need to make sure my Firelord has the proper jewelry and that her hair does not look like Akira has nested in it."

"Uma!"

"And then I am to meet with the matriarch of House Kamakura to discuss the suitability of her youngest granddaughter as one of your new ladies-in-waiting."

Auntie made a face. "How old is the girl?"

"Nineteen, I believe." Lady Uma ignored Auntie's grumble at this. "Zan, if you have finished your breakfast please go and wash your hands and face and brush your teeth."

"Yes, Lady Uma!" He had a toothbrush that he kept in Auntie's bathroom for the mornings.

"Nineteen! Can't you foist her off on Naoki or something?" 

"No. The Princess already took on the girl from House Fukase and has no room for any others. You've been short two ladies for months now and you can't keep asking the rest of us to fill in." Auntie grumbled some more at this but he was too busy getting cleaned up to listen. When he came back into the bedroom Lady Uma had laid out his red gi uniform and waved him over, helping him to get dressed. He always had the proper clothes waiting for him in Auntie's bedroom, every morning. It was almost like magic. She sat him down in front of the mirror and brushed back his hair, securing it into a high ponytail and pinning in the ornament that told everybody he was the Crown Prince. "Perhaps you should sleep a little longer." Lady Uma looked at Auntie in the mirror and then rested one of her hands on the back of his head. "Your brother can take care of the koalasheep issue." Her voice was soft. "You'll make yourself sick."

Auntie dropped her head into her hands. "Uma."

"Juziya, just a day or two. Rest. Your brother can do whatever is necessary at court."

He slid off the chair he had been sitting on and crawled back up on Auntie's bed. "Auntie, are you tired? Are you sick?"

Auntie took her hands away to look at him. "Just tired, Zan."

"Can I help?" He really meant it. He didn't want Auntie to feel sick. He had been sick last winter and it had been horrible. Auntie smiled and brushed her hand against his cheek again.

"Thank you, Zan. Perhaps when you are older."

He slid down off the bed and went to the door. "Excuse me, Lady Shan, but could you send someone to fetch my father?" 

Lady Shan blinked but then nodded. "Of course, Your Highness. Right away."

He came back in to see Auntie staring at him. "If you tell Papa what to do he can help you so you can rest." He turned to Lady Uma. "Isn't that right, Lady Uma?"

Lady Uma smiled at him and pinched his cheek, but in a nice way, not a mean one. "Yes it is, Zan. I think perhaps your Auntie should clear her agenda today of everything but rest."

"And maybe you should clear yours of everything but taking care of Auntie, Lady Uma." 

Lady Uma bent down to kiss where her fingers had been. "What an excellent idea."

"Uma..." Auntie said, but Lady Uma looked at her and she was angry! He had never seen Lady Uma look angry before.

"Give and give and give, Juziya. Day in and day out. This court will suck you dry and spit your bones on a pyre and go for him, next. Is that what you want for him? Is that the example you want to set of what duty is?" 

He looked between Lady Uma and Auntie. Auntie was the Firelord and nobody could tell her what to do but Lady Uma was staring right down at Auntie like she didn't care at all.

"Uma..." Auntie said again and then she looked like she was going to cry. "You know I don't want that for him. If I can just-"

"Show him by example, Juziya. That's what he needs to see." Lady Uma sat down on the bed and took Auntie's hands in hers and shook them a little bit. "Show him that he's not a sacrifice. He'll be the Firelord but a Firelord also owes it to their people to be in good health." Lady Uma brought Auntie's hands up and kissed them. "And a Firelord owes it to themself and those that love them as well. If he doesn't learn from you how to care for himself how will he survive it?"

"You should listen to Uma, Ziya." Papa was standing by the terrace door. His long hair was down and he was still in his sleeping caftan. He had come in a hurry, then.

"Don't you start with me as well, Zui." Auntie's lips got very thin.

"Papa, Auntie is very tired. She even told me so. Isn't it right that she could have a day to rest and you could listen to the people talk about the koalasheep?" He ran to Papa, who scooped him up into one arm.

"That is exactly right." Papa kissed him and hugged him tightly. 

"And Lady Uma could change her agenda and stay and take care of her like Mama took care of me when I was sick."

"Lady Uma will, in fact, go and make those changes right away." Lady Uma stood up from the bed and bowed at Papa, and smiled. "Your Highness."

Papa smiled back at her. "Thank you, my Lady. My sister has always been lucky to have you."

"And I, her," Lady Uma said, very softly, and then she left.

Auntie sighed. "Zui, I can't make a habit of this. People will talk."

"They'll talk anyhow. About whatever they damn please. You know it as well as I." Papa had his serious face on.

Looks good, said Akira, bobbing up and down, and he slid down out of Papa's arms and gave him another melon slice. Papa and Auntie were staring at each other but then Papa went and sat down on Auntie's bed and pulled her into a hug, whispering something into her ear. Auntie shook her head but Papa kept whispering. Finally Papa took Auntie's head into his hands and kissed both of her cheeks.

"Three days. No. Four. At least. You let me deal with whatever is going on. Naoki can take you and Uma and Shan on Hemadri. No need to get out the airship, it will just draw everyone out of the woodwork to bother you before you leave anyhow. You can stay at her parents' house. Miwa won't let anyone bother you."

"If I go I should really stay at our residence-" Auntie started, but Papa cut her off.

"And have everyone there on the Island coming to pay court? No. Stay at Wu's. Sleep. Eat something, for spirit's sake. Get some sun on the beach. Breathe." Papa kissed her cheek again. "It's empty, Lin and LoLo headed back to Republic City last week."

"If I just take Uma, though. That's all we need, talk about that." Auntie held on to Papa's hand.

"Take Zan, then. He could use a break as well." Papa turned to smile at him. "Would you like that? To go to stay at Gumpa's house on Ember Island for a few days with Auntie and Lady Uma?"

He bounced up and down. "And Akira, too?"

"And Akira, too." He turned back to Auntie. "Hemadri can get you there in an hour. I'll go get dressed right now and let your minsters know you are taking a break." Auntie tried to speak but Papa cut her off. "No, I said I'll deal with it. Naoki can pack a little bag for Zan and get Hemadri ready and you can be off right away."

"I haven't even asked Uma," Auntie said, but Papa just kissed her and stood up.

"Make sure she gets some rest and sun as well. She needs it as much as you do." Papa motioned at him. "Come on, Zan, take Akira and let's go back to our rooms, we need to shake your mother out of bed."

"And shake Hemadri, too!" He gathered Akira onto his shoulder.

Papa laughed and took his hand. "We'll leave that part up to Mama, shall we?" He looked back at Auntie, who was slowly getting out of bed. "Second thought, I'll tell everyone it'll be a week, Ziya."

"I can't take a week!" Auntie frowned at Papa.

"Oh sorry, can't hear you, I'm already out the door!" Papa shouted, and then grabbed him up and ran with him and Akira out the door to the garden, laughing.

"Sozui!" Auntie called through the door, but Papa just kept laughing and running back towards their garden.