Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another., Terrific Time Travel Fics, A Labyrinth of Fics, Favorite Naruto Fanfics, Time Travel and World Travel, Naruto Fanfics, A Collection of Beloved Inserts, weebtownsavedfics, Storycatchers Best of Naruto pile, best fic collection ever read, Best Fics From Across The Multiverse, Time Travel Fix It Fics, 🌌 The Witch's Library, ✧ Konoha Collection ✧, Reverse The Hourglass, An Uchiha's Hoard, Naruto Fix-its, Time Travel Fics, wwwwwww, 3am Fics Stealing My Sleep, i naruto, Team 7 🌀, SakurAlpha's Fic Rec of Pure how did you create this you amazing bean, Naruto fanfiction I would sacrifice my life for, Time Travel no Jutsu, Tempus et Spatium (Time and Space), My Personal Favorite AO3 Fanfics, Fics so good I want to throw my chair out the window, Into another world, My Personal Favorites, So Much Talent on AO3, You haven’t lived if you haven’t read this, Hiraeth and Nostalgia, naruto fanfics that satisfy my depression and issues, Naruto, In-Progress I Want To Read, I Don'T KnoW WhaT a CollEctioN Is BuT I WanT To Keep ThiS StorY SomeWherE, ✧*。 fics so perfect that they change the definition of perfection (๑′ᴗ‵๑) ✧*。, Best of Space/Time-travel fix-it's, A Picky Vest's Favorites, dawn goes down to day, Autiser’s Favorites, Lyrane’s treasure trove, Kofi's Naruto Favs, Dkn, The best fics, Characters Explores Fix-it | Time Travel | Alternate Universe, 💐 Himeno's Favorites 💐, Ajax waiting for updates 2021, A collection to keep my faves I'm following, Incomplete fics I fell in love with, Naruto time travel fics (unfinished) 🍥❤️, Stalker’s Amongst Stalker’s, Chibi’s hoard for sleepless nights, II~ My Adoration and Feelings cannot be expressed~II, Why sleep? We have great stories!, Frost's Fix-It Faves, Dreamon's Fics Recs For You Lazy Ass Shit, Time travel time loops dimension travel parallel universes and more shi-, My Bookshelf, ✨ Oh I'm definitely going to reread this, Naruto, AO3 Amazing, Tales of the Utterly Gutsy Shinobi, the best fics I've read on ao3, Ladybird’s Small Fandoms
Stats:
Published:
2017-07-31
Updated:
2021-07-07
Words:
189,986
Chapters:
44/?
Comments:
3,981
Kudos:
19,200
Bookmarks:
6,465
Hits:
630,164

What Once Was Will Never Be

Summary:

The war was over. Sasuke was still an idiot, but they were mostly getting over that. Everyone else was just trying to get back to some semblance of normalcy in the era after facing the Juubi and losing so much. Hatake Kakashi never wanted to be Hokage, but that's what he became. With that comes enemies.

During an ambush, Naruto jumps in front of a jutsu that would tear his former sensei's soul from his body. The jutsu begins to tear Kurama away instead. In a desperate bid to save both his and Naruto's life, Kurama does something almost as unpredictable as his host. He tries to send them back in time a day. This would have worked fine, except Kurama might have...overshot things a bit.

Oh, wow, is that a chibi Naruto running around? What year is it again?

Jiraiya begins hearing rumors of a man called the "Lost Uzumaki" that has made a seismic debut on the shinobi world stage. The only thing is that S-class nin don't just pop out of nowhere...usually. Jiraiya is sent to track down the nin and determine his loyalties. His new life depends on a good impression. The good thing is that Uzumaki Naruto's true superpower is his ability to talk even the most unwilling into submission. Meet Uzumaki Kuniharu!

Notes:

I'm back in the world of fanfiction, but we shall see how long this lasts. Basically, I have read every time travel story ever but NO ONE does it right, at least not MY way!!!!! So, of course, I must step in. I love the genre, I love Naruto and I love to share my work. Please let me know what you think and I hope you stick around.

For old times sake.

I do not own Naruto because if I did Minato would not have been so stupid as to think willingly sealing a bijuu in his newborn was a great idea.

*Edit in process; new chapters still in the works as of 6/4/23, hope to have new stuff soon and I'll try to edit the whole piece in a timely manner; thanks for sticking with me ;)*

(See the end of the work for other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Summary:

on 06/04/23 let's try this again

Chapter Text

What Once Was Will Never be

The first time Jiraiya heard of the man, he had been doing “research” in Kusa. Jiraiya had overheard an exemplary illustration of the feminine form confide to a fellow Kusa nin about a mission she had undertaken near Iwa. Apparently, a single man had infiltrated the hidden village ostentatiously to steal from the Kage and speak to two random nin. The man referred to only as “the Lost Uzumaki” made his debut in bingo books across the elemental nations seemingly overnight. 

He was an S-class nin of ambiguous origins. He was known to wear the forehead protector of a fallen village, have hair the color of the darkest garnet, and carry the last name Uzumaki. He was a mystery, and mysteries were dangerous. Not to mention that he had seemingly appeared overnight. But, of course, S-class nin don’t just appear overnight. Still, for all that, Jiraiya was the best the best spymaster to grace the shinobi world in, well…ever-- even he couldn’t find any indication the man had existed before showing up in Iwa. 

Within a year, the only indication that he was real were the stories told after he popped up in one elemental nation or another. Honestly, it was always the same story. A successful infiltration into a hidden village to recover relics of Uzushio. Then he would speak to, or rather fight and yell at, the Kage or Jounin of a town before he disappeared like smoke.

So far, Hiruzen had sent politely worded requests and then some not-so-politely-worded requests for information on the man. The only response he ever received from his fellow kage was a vague sentiment of ,“wait your turn.” So, he was naturally quite anxious about when his “visit” would occur. If it ever would. However, it had been months since the Lost Uzumaki had last been heard from. Neither Konoha nor Suna had been visited by the man thus far.

Hiruzen feared many things whenever the reports of him came to his desk. Perhaps the Lost Uzumaki was after revenge for Uzushio. And thus, Konoha may be a target for their failure to protect their precious allies. However, it didn’t explain why Suna had been left untouched. Or that he had, for all intents and purposes, done very little damage to Iwa or Kiri, who were responsible for the disaster. 

All the man had truly done was retrieve artifacts stolen from what must have been his home—no proper shinobi revenge, after all. And challenging high-class nin to what amounted to a vigorous spar, despite his opponent’s intent to kill, was hardly as threatening as it could be. Politics between the elemental nations was a heavy burden Hiruzen desperately wished he could place on someone else’s shoulders. But it was his burden to bear.

There was also Naruto to consider. He was the sandaime’s charge that he never seemed to have time for. The orphan who might have family out there—be it an S-class nin of ambiguous origins and desires. Still, it was a family not directly connected to the Fourth and, therefore, a safer option for the young academy student to form bonds with. 

So, Naruto was a consideration and a concern. Yet, Hiruzen was conflicted about the issue. He considered all this as he stared at his white-haired student standing in front of him with an uncommonly severe expression. Hiruzen chewed on his pipe as his thoughts raced.

“How accurate do you think this rumor is?” 

He already knew that the Toad Sage wouldn’t come to the village in person, rather than send the regular messenger toad if he didn’t find the information credible. Still, he asked anyway, to see how he answered.

Jiraiya hummed and crossed his arms over his chest. “I trust it,” he offered, “but do you want me to chase it?”

Jiraiya had received information from one of his most trustworthy sources in Kumo. The Lost Uzumaki would be in Uzushio in a week on the anniversary of the village’s fall. It had been a lucky break as the man had stayed in his informant’s inn for a single night. He had been heard offering a toast in mourning for the village with a group of civilians at a bar. He had slipped up by mentioning a return home to “respect the ashes.”

“If he is an Uzumaki, we are responsible for offering him sanctuary if he poses no threat to Konoha, but if he is not….” Hiruzen trailed off.

Jiraiya could deduce the rest for himself. If he is not, then they have a problem on their hands.

“No way to discern that but to meet the bastard,” Jiraiya admitted with a shrug. “Even if he’s dyed his hair or is under henge, I know the real thing better than most. Without seeing it beforehand, that color is impossible to manufacture or copy.”

Hiruzen puffed on his pipe, still thinking as he considered the basic plan his spymaster presented. Of everyone in Konoha, the Third would only trust Jiraiya or Kakashi to approach such a dangerous nin with the offer of a place in Konoha. He trusted their judgment and skills above all others. 

Still, this was no regular man if the tales of his exploits were accurate.

“He has escaped relatively unscathed in fights with no less than three different Kage. Albeit not at once,” Hiruzen pointed out. He smiled slightly at the aghast expression on his student’s face. It was far too easy to press the man’s buttons even after all these years.

Jiraiya took his customary “hero” pose in front of his teacher. “Do you doubt the Great and Legendary Toad Sage Jiraiya? Ooooh, I’d nail that brat in the dust under Gamabunta’s little finger in a second!”

Jiraiya became serious again, but he still wore that too-large grin and had a slightly insulted air about him. “Besides, those weren’t serious fights if my information is accurate. From what I can discern, the boy didn’t intend actual harm. Who knows whatever the nin had designed to accomplish, though? “

“I do not find that comforting, Jiraiya,” Hiruzen scolded before conceding, “but it would be doing our fallen allies…. and Kushina-chan, a disservice to not give the man a chance.”

Jiraiya nodded, somewhat solemn at the mention of his late student’s wife.

“And better the bastard works for us rather than as an unattached nin that can be taken in by some other nation!” Jiraiya spoke the truth underneath the nobler sentiment, which caused his Hokage to nod in agreement.

“Exactly,” he confirmed before slipping into his commanding voice, “go to Uzushio and approach him. Determine his intentions. You have my authority to offer him a place in Konoha if you see fit. Or, to eliminate him, if he is a threat.”

“Yes!” Jiraiya acknowledged before pointing both hands at Hiruzen with a wink. “I’ll be back before you can miss me again, sensei! Maybe I’ll even bring a friend!”

“That’s what I’m worried about, Jiraiya-chan,” Hiruzen commented before Jiraiya could leave the office via the window. He hid his amusement under the brim of the Hokage’s hat at the wave of killing intent that briefly spiked before Jiraiya started pouting. His student was still far too easy to needle. It was almost like the decades disappeared for a moment. Almost.

<>

Jiraiya timed his arrival at the ruins of Uzushio, so he arrived precisely on memorial day. He landed on one desolate street, the crumbling buildings and rubble still strewn across the road. He felt the same shame and regret that he had felt the first time he had stepped into Uzushio after the attack, as it overwhelmed him for a moment. 

Finally, he pushed the shadows of the past away with the ease of long practice. Instead, he closed his eyes to concentrate. Jiraiya expanded his senses to look for the reclusive nin within the dead city.

He expected the job to be complicated. This S-class fighter remained practically invisible for a year, despite his rather explosive debut on the shinobi world stage. Jiraiya did not expect him to just…to just be there like he had nothing to hide! 

His chakra signature was monstrous! 

It left ripples in the surrounding nature chakra as it was presumably disturbed by the loud reverberating presence of the Lost Uzumaki. Jiraiya focused harder to pinpoint his location. He found himself flabbergasted at what he saw. 

Senjutsu, the man was using senjutsu! 

He was unassisted by a summon if what Jiraiya’s senses told him was accurate. Even more shocking was that the presence wasn’t moving away from him. Based on his signature, the sage was likely actively pulling in nature chakra in meditation.  Of course, that would have allowed him to sense Jiraiya far sooner than this. But the presence still sat there unmoving.

Jiraiya cautiously navigated the rubble to a relatively clear portion of the city. There was a dry fountain that had once been very beautiful. Now, it looked like something monstrous would rise out of it. 

The man was perched on the fountain’s rim, his legs folded and his fists pressed together in his lap. The hair was utterly Uzumaki, a deep blood red that seemed to absorb any light that shone down on it. He wore it long and in a high ponytail, much like Jiraiya. 

His forehead protector was indeed emblazoned with the whirlpool swirl. However, it was not marked with a scratch, indicating his loyalty still lay with the dead village. 

What had Jiraiya tensing were the three whisker markers on each cheek. Those were possession marks that he knew only one person to bear, and that was his godson back in his village, about to try to become a genin for the third time. He felt strange staring at that face. It was as though he were seeing someone he knew. But if they had been slightly distorted with angles that didn’t quite match up with what his brain wanted to see. 

Jiraiya pushed these useless thoughts away and prepared himself.

The man clearly knew he was there, but he stayed relaxed. He was still gathering nature chakra, and his eyelids were orange. Orange like a Toad Sage variant, but that was impossible! Jiraiya was the only Toad Sage left, and he held the contract! He would know if someone else had a toad summons. 

This all was turning out even odder than he thought it would be. Finally, Jiraiya couldn’t take the waiting any longer. He moved into a defensive stance before calling out. “Oi, brat, what kind of nuke-nin are you! Wake up already— you’ve got company. The Great Jiraiya Toad Sage of Konoha waits for no man!”

The sage didn’t know what he expected would happen. Perhaps, that they would immediately launch into a life-or-death match? Would the man demand that he leave Uzu for disrespecting the dead on such a day? That he would be a secret super fan of Jiraiya’s illustrious work? 

The man did none of those things.

He slowly opened his eyes to reveal golden orbs with square pupils that took in Jiraiya standing there silently. Jiraiya was confused by the emotion that leaked into the calm man’s face seconds after he set his sights on him. Sadness, deep regret, and then pure joy with the sunniest smile Jiraiya had ever seen. 

Despite the disarming smile, Jiraiya tensed when the man raised his hand. Was he going to perform a one-handed jutsu? Throw a weapon? 

The man raised his hand and then…waved with the dumbest grin Jiraiya had ever seen. His eyes were closed, and his eyebrows seemed to do that odd eye smile that Kakashi did when he was particularly annoying.

“Yo!”

“Ehhhh!” Jiraiya exploded, taken off-guard. 

The man opened his still golden eyes and watched the fuming Jiraiya with absolute mirth before throwing back his head. Then, he started laughing like he hadn’t done so in a long time. 

Needless to say, the Legendary Toad Sage Jiraiya of Konoha was confused…very confused. But he was damn well going to get to the bottom of it. As his godson would no doubt shout, Believe it!