AO3 News

Post Header

Published:
2019-04-10 08:40:41 -0400
Tags:

In the last few code updates, we deployed a couple of fixes for downloads, took care of some issues with our various forms and menus, and updated several pieces of our infrastructure.

Credits

  • Coders: Angela Wilson, cosette, james_, redsummernight, Sarken, Tal, ticking instant
  • Code reviewers: Ariana, james_, redsummernight, Sarken, Scott, ticking instant
  • Testers: Claire P. Baker, GoldenFalls, james_, Lady Oscar, Natalia Gruber, Qem, redsummernight, Relle, Sarken, Taylor Clossin

Details

Downloads

  • [AO3-5630] - If there was an error when generating a download, the files used to create the download would linger in our tmp folder, causing us to run out of space. We've tweaked the code to make sure the files get deleted.
  • [AO3-5631] - If multiple people tried to download the same work in the same format at the same time, the download would error. We've fixed that.
  • [AO3-5634] - We added some whitespace to the work information in AZW3, EPUB, and MOBI files.

Misc. Fixes

  • [AO3-5592] - When posting a new work and failing to enter a title, a little message would appear, telling you that "We need a title! (At least 1 characters long, please.)" We have removed that superfluous s, making the plea much more grammatical.
  • [AO3-4195] - On the form to request more invite codes, we require all fields to be filled out; however, this wasn't made sufficiently clear. Now all fields are explicitly marked as required.
  • [AO3-5182] - On several of our forms, there's a field that allows for multiple categories to be entered (e.g. M/M and M/F); however, it was labeled "Category", implying a single option. Now it's all pluralized.
  • [AO3-5611] - When we upgraded our database and changed text fields to support the UTF8MB4 character set, some of them lost their default values of empty string. We added those back.
  • [AO3-4377] - Form fields on the login page had the same ids as the corresponding fields in the header login form, which messed with accessibility. Now you can target all the labels and have it put the focus on the correct text field or checkbox.
  • [AO3-5604] - The login page links to an AO3 News post with some troubleshooting tips, in case the login attempt fails. We have updated that link to point to the freshest information available.
  • [AO3-4881] - For Archive admins, we moved the "last edited" information on a tag's edit page to the top for more visibility.
  • [AO3-4977] - On the FAQ page, the Language menu wasn't properly associated with its label. Now clicking or tapping the Language button correctly puts the focus on the dropdown, making it navigable by arrow keys.
  • [AO3-5196] - When posting or editing an FAQ item, there used to be a checkbox labeled "Notify Translation Committee of changes you made in this FAQ category?", which was never really used. (The Docs and Translation teams communicate through other means.) So now all the associated code has been removed. \o/
  • [AO3-5457] - We also removed a tag_list method from the works-related code. It just didn't spark joy!
  • [AO3-5250] - On the bookmark form, the button now says "Update" (not "Edit") when saving changes to a bookmark while on a work or series, because that just makes more sense.
  • [AO3-3556] - Selecting a prompt meme claim on the posting form wouldn't add the work to the claim's collection, even though the claim would count as filled. Now it's added to the proper collection as well!
  • [AO3-4699] - We got rid of a lingering error message that was falsely implying you couldn't edit a chapter if you weren't explicity listed as a co-creator on that chapter. You can, though.
  • [AO3-5603] - We fixed an issue that made it theoretically possible, for example, to add yourself as a coauthor to someone else's work.

Tests and Infrastructure

  • [AO3-5638] - The automatic test for DeviantArt imports was failing due to a change in the image URL. We've adjusted the URL, so now it's working again!
  • [AO3-5621] - We updated the version of Elasticsearch that was used for running automated tests on our CI services to 6.6.1.
  • [AO3-5641] - We also updated the god and unicorn gems. They are really called that.
  • [AO3-5646] - The Devise gem, which powers our login system, was updated for security reasons, so we installed that update right away, too!
  • [AO3-5642] - We added a gem that logs the database queries generated by Rails in the development environment, which is useful for debugging.
  • [AO3-5643] - We are now running Rails 5.1.6.2.